No moves at this time

The Wizards don't have any immediate plans to add another player, I was told today. That doesn't rule it out as a possibility but I thought that in light of the report in today's Rocky Mountain News, I'd do some asking about the issue.

According to the report, recently released Nuggets PG Mike Wilks said he has received some interest from the Wizards. That is true, as the Wiz have possible interest in several players who could potentially be added for depth purposes but it won't happen right now.

One issue, as has been laid out here before, is the luxury tax threshold ($67.86 million) The Wizards are right up against it (I believe the Wiz number is around $67.75 million right now) and adding a player could put them over. Teams that go over would pay a dollar-for-dollar tax. Also, teams that stay under get to divvy up the money from the teams that went over the following the season.

Not certain what that amount will be but I believe it is in the 2-3 million range. Therefore, signing even a minimum salary guy at this point could cost a lot. Now, I'm told that the Wiz don't have a hard and fast mandate to stay under but if they are going to go over, they don't want to do it for a 12th man.

From what I can gather, 12 teams are currently over: the Knicks (of course), Lakers, Rockets, Cavs, Blazers, Heat, Nuggets, Celtics, Sixers, Mavs, Pistons and Suns.

A note on rookie Oleksiy Pecherov, who has been out since late October with a hairline fracture in his right ankle. Pesh could be cleared to practice in two to three weeks. At that point, he will likely need at least a week or two of practice before being available to play.

By Ivan Carter |  November 29, 2007; 4:26 PM ET
Previous: Can Dunleavy Keep This Up? | Next: Live from Philly

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Are the salary cap implications the same throughout the season? I thought that starting in January teams could add 10 day contract players without involving the cap. anybody know the story?

Posted by: arnie | November 29, 2007 5:03 PM

Thanks for the update. Anyone want to talk about how we match up with the 76'ers?

Posted by: Brandon in PA | November 29, 2007 5:10 PM

Err, make that how the Zards match up with the 76'ers.

Posted by: Brandon in PA | November 29, 2007 5:11 PM

Unless signing enough players to fill out the roster is going to put the franchise in the red -- they ought to field a full squad. None of the injured players are going to be back anytime soon, I could maybe see if they were minor injuries.

The money divided up among teams under the luxury tax threshold should be seen as a bonus if things go well, not a revenue stream to be depended on.

Posted by: prophet | November 29, 2007 5:20 PM

What can the Wiz get in point guards for $110K? A hard driving 5'10" high school senior?

Posted by: Myskin | November 29, 2007 5:31 PM

I posted on this a while ago, but comments that we should only avoid the luxury tax if we go into the red doesn't look at the big picture. As a fan, I'm 100% there. As someone who has been in the business world, I'm not. Abe and the rest of the owners have a right to get a good return on their money b/c 1) they are taking the risk with it; and 2) more importantly, if they aren't getting a return that is at market, they are really LOSING money. By this I mean that if Abe has $300M tied up in the team, and he could get 6% on that in a bank ($18M) but b/c he goes over the salary cap he only makes 5% ($15M) he is losing $3M that he could be making. That money is gone, out of his pocket - just like he threw it away. Putting aside the Cuban's of the world, most of these owner's are in it to win AND make money and they have to balance that.

Now if Abe is getting a 15% return a year on the team, I'm totally for going over the salary cap, but I doubt it.

It's fair for us fans to ask him to spend the money to make the team better but that doesn't mean that he is a scrooge if the economics don't work for him.

Ivan - I don't know how much of this is public, but a GREAT article would be something that explains the finances of an NBA team. The team has the name of our city on it, and we are the ones who pay for it at the end of the day - we SHOULD have some transparency on this, and I bet it would open a lot of eyes.

Posted by: charles jones | November 29, 2007 5:31 PM

"Now, I'm told that the Wiz don't have a hard and fast mandate to stay under but if they are going to go over, they don't want to do it for a 12th man."

This is complete bunk. If it were true, explain Navarro. You don't give up that sort of talent for nothing without test driving him for the entire league to see... This was a terrible terrible decision and one that shows Pollin isn't overly interested in building a contender. Was he always taught to give away nonfungible assets?

If anything this is a Grunie mistake because he didn't fly this up the pole strongly enough.

And if he really wants to protect the team, how come we haven't signed another point guard to back up daniels like say earl boykins.

Posted by: zoor | November 29, 2007 5:37 PM

I really don't think signing a backup PG will make him the 12th man on the squad, especially since right now, there are only 10 healthy bodies on this team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 29, 2007 5:43 PM

any kind of salary cap exception for ET??

Posted by: dmal | November 29, 2007 6:26 PM

Why would anyone waste their time and money on Mike Wilks anyway. Hell, if they that pressed to add someone and stay under the cap, i'll suit up for $125 a game.

Posted by: C.Bell | November 29, 2007 6:50 PM

Matter fact, if Abe wants to make a lil bit extra on the side, he should sell those empty bench seats to some high rollers! Its like 5 empty seats once you get past DMac and Mason.

Posted by: C.Bell | November 29, 2007 6:55 PM

"any kind of salary cap exception for ET??

Posted by: dmal | November 29, 2007 06:26 PM "

I think Rook said Les BouleS can request a salary cap exception for ET, but it would still count against the cap. Therefore, it's a no go with Abe.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 29, 2007 7:19 PM

I'll repeat this once again just to add fuel to the fire because it's just so telling about the state of a franchise and the motives of the owner when an insider reveals the juice:

-------------------------------------------

"On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' ""

-------------------------------------------

I don't know what Abe's real motive is.

1) he says he will sell the team when they win a championship, so how do you win by cutting corners?

2) does he really want to sell or retire?

3) does making money off of salary cap penalties from other teams mean that much that he'd rather not take the chance and field a better team (compared to this undermanned team) to build greater respect from the fans who will then support the team unconditionally b/c they know ownership has and will do whatever it takes to make the fans proud and the franchise a winner?

--------------------------------------------

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 29, 2007 7:28 PM

Just a hunch: They're waiting on Wilks until January, when they can use ten-day contracts.

Those don't count against the cap, correct?

Posted by: Pradamaster | November 29, 2007 7:31 PM

ALL player salaries (including bonuses, incentives, retired players, injured players, and 10-day contracts) are counted against the Salary Cap and the Luxury Tax.

The difference is that a 10-day contract is a relatively small amount.

I think a Rookie Minimum 10-day contract would be approximately $25K or so.

Posted by: Rook | November 29, 2007 8:33 PM

I thought I read or somebody posted that the luxury cap only counted for those contracts that were still in place at the end of the season.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 8:47 PM

No moves, please! Blatche and Young are playing only because of injuries. These guys are the future of the franchise. They need the minutes to develop. The potential is there. With proper coaching, both could be solid starters next year - with potential to become even better.

Developing the young talent is the only way the Wiz will break out of the 1 and out loop.

Posted by: Izman | November 29, 2007 9:00 PM

If we could make money off of every time that DCDude has cut and pasted that same damn article we would be reach.

All he does is cut and paste....cut and paste.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 11:53 PM

Izman,

The young guys certainly need time. Throw DMAc in there as well. But Blatche, Young nor DMac are not gonna solve the huge problem we would have if Daniels gets in foul trouble or worse yet goes down with an injury.

We need a press breaking point who can
1/ move his feet on D
2/ keep point guards from driving down the lane and breaking down our defense and
3/ hit open 20 footers consisently enough to keep the other team honest.

Daniels needs to play 33-35 minutes tops and we can't let teams go on major runs while he is out.

Posted by: BmoreRev | November 30, 2007 12:05 AM

Can we dump "Brick Mason" & his salary for someone else?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 30, 2007 1:44 AM

Abe is spending a lot of money on player salaries. I remember back in the day when he really was tight fisted. I don't blame him in the least for not going over the cap. 67 million oughtta be enough to get you at least into the playoffs. Without injuries, we're there. It's not Abe's fault that we don't have a lot of depth at the PG position.
We need to consider some alternatives. Jeffries brought he ball up for us on occasion a few years back as a 'point forward'. If they tried to trap him, he could see over the dbl team easily and make a pass, creating a numbers advantage for us. Maybe I'm just too high on the guy but it seems to me that AB could do the same thing. If you try to put a guard on him, he can pass out of the trap. If the issue is half court defense, his arms are so long that he doesn't need to be able to stay in front of a guy. Funnel him into BTH. If the defense rotates like it should, penetration should not be such a huge issue. To me, coaching is about putting your players in the best possible position to win. We still have enough talent to win ball games with the injuries we have as evidenced by the 4-3 record with GA out. It's now up to EJ to 'figure it out'.

Posted by: mark | November 30, 2007 7:48 AM

As much as DS has poor numbers, I don't see him actually playing all that badly. Let me rephrase...he isn't the reason we lose games. He's kind of like our George Costaza. He always comes up even. He won't win the game for you and he won't lose it. Instead of Mr. 50, he's Mr. 50/50. I think our expectations are too high for him...especially given that we signed him during the time when we all were talking about JCN. Even with Gil out, he's not the answer on offense and we've all agreed that it's very difficult for a guard with his height to be excellent on defense. Players are too good on O in this league to be stopped by one guy. It takes a team effort.
We'll win with DS starting as long as EJ is creative with his subs pattern and gets it right.

Posted by: mark | November 30, 2007 7:56 AM

Gosh, nevermind stopping someone at the level of a Baron Davis or JCN or JJ Barea, but Bruce Bowen does a heckuva job night in and night out against the likes of Kobe and TMac.

Also, I already mentioned that AB would be a great candidate to bring the ball up if AD goes down.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 30, 2007 8:08 AM

Old news at this point isn't it? But we do know you cherish that E-Mail and it has been a week since you brought it up so we'll indulge you, yet again.

But if you and Gil are still exchanging E-Mails something new would be nice. Maybe you could copy us when his Christmas Card comes in to you.

Rook I'm not a cap/vs. Luxury cap expert by any means. I'm pretty sure 10 day guys can be signed with no implication toward the cap if they are cut at season's end.
But I do think you're right about the Luxury Tax figure it's hard and fast and counts all money.

As I understand it the Wizards are working against two problems. Right now they can only sign a player IF they have an exception because they're over the cap. The only thing they have is the Veteran Min. Exception available. Even using that would put them over the Luxury Cap threshold.

I'll still stick to my assumption the other day that a guy signed under the Vet's Min. would cost in the neihborhood of at least 3 to 4M when the cost of the loss in the share of Luxury Tax is factored in. And it has to be factored because if the Wiz go over it's lost revenue and since there are 10 teams over this year it could be even higher.

In January they have the ability to sign 10 day contracts with guys out of the D League and others that are floating around for about 25K each. The problem there is that I think a player can only be kept on two consecutive 10 day deals and then he'd have to be signed to a prorated rookie deal or cut loose.

So even bringing in a D League guy on a 10 day deal in January and signing him to a prorated deal for the rest of the year is going to come damn close to putting us over the Luxury Tax Threshold.

In fact they'd probably have to wait until a little later in the year if they felt the need to keep a guy on the roster until the end of the season to carry into the playoffs. If they think Arenas will be back they may sign someone right away in January to get some help.

The only way for the Wizards to make up lost income from their cut of the Luxury Tax would be to sell more tickets or advance deeper in the playoffs. It would be my guess that as long as the team stays in the hunt for a berth in the playoffs Grunfeld will stick with the team he has right now.

Can't see where a guy signed out of the D League is going to sell more tickets or greatly enhance their playoff chances. I'm sure they're out there scouting because if Daniels goes down there really isn't a plan C.

In some ways I'd think that they've got to be kicking the tires if there are any possible deals that could provide some wiggle room, but that's going to be tough to come by.

I'd agree with Izman the development of Blatche, Young, McGuire and Pecherov is going to be what breaks this one and done cycle in the playoffs. Grunfeld has a nice core group with some good young players here to grow with.

But like B-Rev, it makes me nervous everytime Daniels hits the floor, because the Wiz really don't have a capable backup at this point. I'd sure like to see Grunfeld do something, but I understand that they'd hate to give up millions for a D League player that may never get off the bench.

Posted by: GM | November 30, 2007 8:36 AM

"88 er,Your "I asked Arenas last month line", I think we've been reading that since March or April. Wouldn't that now be 8 or 9 months ago?

Posted by: GM | November 30, 2007 08:36 AM"

GM, are you that dumb? It's not an email. It's a Mike Wise article, and it's a classic, whether you find it palatable or not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 30, 2007 8:40 AM

GM, What's up with the 10 paragraph posts? Your're gonna get me caught at work. LOL.
Also, do we really think that a D league guy is any better than Mason at PG? There's a reason these guys are in that league, usually. Mason is not a bad player if you use him like you should. He is NOT a PG and should be used as a spot up shooter a la Jon Barry or Steve Kerr. He's taking heat because EJ is using him incorrectly. The irony is that he'd be much more effective if he played WITH AD. AD could penetrate and find him in the corner wide open for 3's. Since he's backing AD up, he's ineffective. I have no clue what the solution is but I know that it's up to EJ to 'figure it out'. That has been my EJ mantra for months now. His job is to put good combinations out there and it's tme he did it.

Posted by: mark | November 30, 2007 8:43 AM

At the current state of the team, you can't pigeon hole players into their personal comfort zones. People need to step up their games, and clearly CBut, AJ, AB, BTH, and AD have done that.

If you're telling me that a "professional athlete" like Mason or DS, who are in their early to mid 20's, can't work on and improve an aspect of their game and pick up the slack from other players being out, then clearly Les BouleS are worse off than they actually seem.

Nobody is asking Mason or DS to design a rocket to the mars. They are asking Mason and DS to hit a d@mn jumper or play better defense, for the "kings ransom that they get for playing a kid's game." I don't think that' asking for too much.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 30, 2007 8:51 AM

Posted by: C.Bell | November 29, 2007 06:55 PM

C.Bell - Now that's FUNNY, but unfortunately the truth. Where's Teddy "L" when you need him............?????

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 30, 2007 9:24 AM

Posted by: mark | November 30, 2007 08:43 AM

Mark I agree with you on most aspects of this statement but one. For the first time I am not going to blame Eddie on using him incorrectly and making a bad substitution call.

Again, due to Abe still owning the team and not Teddy "L", Eddie's hands are handcuffed here. Who else can he use as a backup point guard? DS or NY? DS has "NO HANDLE AT ALL" and NY has a handle in the halfcourt for creating his own shot, but not for running an offense full or half court.

So guess what, that leaves Roger Mason has Eddie's last choice. I would be playing him at the backup point too if this is the roster I had to work with. This is not Ernie's fault either. He is only doing what Abe told him to do.

It is going to take AD getting threw out of a game, or heaven forbid getting a injury to finally make Abe fork up the dollars to get another point guard. AD is logging heavy minutes right now and I pray it does not cost us around January or February.

Lastly, although it sounds like a good idea using AB to bring the ball up it can't happen. First AB gets winded easy and having him bring the ball up and then play interior defense, block shots and rebound would be too much on him. Plus, he is our only big man left to backup Haywood.

Thus, if Haywood gets in foul trouble or AB gets in foul trouble, that would then lead to that DREADED COMBINATION CALLED "smallball", and we do not want to give Eddie the ammo and the chance to put that unit back on the floor again. Do we...???

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 30, 2007 9:39 AM

Smallball rears it's ugly head once again. Maybe if we still had Ruffin on the team, he can be the backup to the backup point guard during small ball.

NOT!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 30, 2007 10:00 AM

Ivan & Mike,

The Wiz are in a pretty tough spot now, personnel and salary cap-wise. They could really use a nice, speedy, change of pace guard like a Mike Wilks. They have recently had problems with PGs who can create their own offense of dribble & kick to open shooters (e.g., Baron Davis, Ray Felton, Tony Parker). These guys are so good that the likes of a Mike Wilks will not totally shut them down, but a change of pace guard could make these type of opposing guards work a little harder and allow helpside defenders to dig a little to protect the paint. A trade of Roger Mason for cash consideration is not even possible to allow the signing of a free agent or recently-released guard because they really need Mason's off-the-bench shooting and he knows Eddie's system well. Coach Randy Ayers is going to have to earn his money by helping Eddie to stop opposing guards with some smoke and mirrors (maybe utilizing the rook - Nicky Young - make guards like BD shoot over top).

P.S. - I love the emergence of Caron, AD, and Antwan, lately, as scoring threats!

Posted by: WANTED: Change of Pace Guard | November 30, 2007 10:17 AM

Did anyone happen to watch the Celtics - Knicks game last night (104-59)? Was that embarrassing or what? I understand the Knicks are way over the cap, so they must pay their guys very well. I could not see any NBA players last night though, they seemed to be college players surprised at the speed and intensity of the NBA. The Celtics weren't doing anything special by what I could see, they were just fired up. And of course were shooting well.

Posted by: rgz | November 30, 2007 10:22 AM

The difference is that a 10-day contract is a relatively small amount.

I think a Rookie Minimum 10-day contract would be approximately $25K or so.

Posted by: Rook
----------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Mike Wilks isn't a rookie. He is 9 yr veteran. OTOH, I believe Brian Chase is considered as a rookie.

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 30, 2007 10:44 AM

Why don't all the folks that insist the Wizards sign a player pool thier money and pay for it themselves? Keep in mind you'll need to double the salary and add a few million for lost revenue. That means you'd need about 7 million or so for a 2 million dollar salary.

Good luck.

Posted by: Patrick | November 30, 2007 11:48 AM

Unfortunately, Mike Wilks isn't a rookie. He is 9 yr veteran.

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 30, 2007 10:44 AM

9-Year Veteran Minimum salary is $1,108,718 - - - so that would make a 10-day contract for Wilks somewhere in the $70K range. (if my calculations are correct)

Posted by: Rook | November 30, 2007 12:01 PM

I'll kick in a buck.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 30, 2007 12:02 PM

Vote Caron and Antawn to the All Star game.

Posted by: Rook | November 30, 2007 12:14 PM

As far as Pech is concerned, he may as well wait til next year. EJ will definitely not give him any PT especially considering he'll be out of shape and really not ready to contribute physically until some time in January. I doubt that EJ, with only a few months left on his contract, will trust a relative rookie to come in and deliver under pressure.
Of course, a C that shoots 3's would certainly give us another dimension and, more importantly, allow AB to move to another position that isn't mutually exclusive to BTH. If Pech can play backup C, maybe we can then find some time for AB and BTH together.

Posted by: mark | November 30, 2007 12:24 PM

It seems to me there has to be somebody with better PG skills to backup Daniels. We can't run him in the ground.
I agree with the general consensus - Roger Mason is not sufficient nor effective.
No improvement. Our neighbors met him - The guy doesn't even "talk" b-ball to inquiring fans..kept trying to sell then on his "home purchasing & contracting business" I'd rather a player with a heart, mind & desire to "win" /Team oriented willing to improve their skills to perfect their game. There's got to be somebody we can get perhaps under the vet exception.

Posted by: Santa | November 30, 2007 12:31 PM

Good luck.

Posted by: Patrick | November 30, 2007 11:48 AM

Patrick. Most of the folks here are not chiming in about an "extra man" because you have 15 spots on a roster and we only have 10 players taking them up.

What has the most of us in an uproar is the danger of AD going down and then we would not have ANYBODY to run the point guard spot then. The Wiz did not calculate on Gilbert being out so now it is coming back to bit them in the butt for not carrying an extra point guard.

This is one time they should bite the luxary tax bullet and sign a legit backup point guard. Abe does not have to pay the tax until the end of the season anyway.

Plus, if we sign a nice backup point to help out AD, that will add to AD's shelf life. This translates to better run throughout the season and then a playoff run. In return for Abe, each playoff game played at the phonebooth will generate revenue for "cash strapped" Abe to put towards the luxary tax cost.

Also, off of the increased surcharges on the tickets and attentance paying for tickets at playoff games Abe could make that tax money back easy.

There is no guarantee Gilbert is coming back this year. If he does, it is still going to take him time to get right, so in the meantime another point guard is needed to help spell AD and defend the other team's quick breakdown point guards. You will not be able to survive there with Mason playing the 1 just like playing Songalia at the 5 spot for the whole season.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 30, 2007 12:51 PM

I forgot one other point about bringing in a real backup point guard. If you bring in one who is really quick with the ball, it could help our starting backcourt learn how to defend these quick breakdown guards in practice.

That in turn would help AD, DS, NY prepare better to play better defense in games against these types of guards. Right now, with only 10 players dressed (wow..!!!) how can they get any practice defending quick guards if they do not have any on their roster?

Lastly, by adding a point guard now, that will give him a chance to learn the "P" offense and learn the complexity of the spacing and passing lanes incorporated into it's sets. If AD gets hurt, you then have to pull somebody off of the street to run this offense which will be real hard for anyone coming in fresh without knowing the offense.

As EJ would say, if they "start harvesting their nuts" now and get a true backup point guard and groom him now, they will not run into problems later if Gil never comes back or AD goes down.........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 30, 2007 1:06 PM

If you look at the teams that are over the luxury tax, all of them (with exception of Knicks and 76ers) are playoffs contender. What I'm trying to say is if they want to be a fixture during the playoffs then they need to shell out more. Now I'm not trying to tell that that is the correct way but I think they are in a no choice position especially if AD gets hurt for a loong period.

Posted by: Dave | November 30, 2007 1:19 PM

Mark, I try and post in the morning before the day's disaster's start, later I'll pop in from time to time and read when I've got a minute.

88'er your story changes by the minute, you're one strange little man(?).

No, I don't think that there's a better player then Roger Mason in D League and apparently neither does Grunfeld. I haven't seen a name that's been floated that's worth using the Veteran Min. Ex. on at this point.

If Daniels would go down my opinion is then they'd have almost no choice, but go and get somebody. But the team's still staying in the hunt and Eddie's got practice time to work on other options on the roster.

I'd think that you may see some experimentation with using Young and Stevenson together like we've seen a couple of times. Blatche, Butler, and even Jamison can be used to help the gaurds break pressure if teams decide to press.

In the Princeton the point gaurd becomes another cutter when the offense gets started, so the need for a pure point is less then it would be on some other teams.

Right now the biggest problem I see is not so much on offense as it is matching up defensively against some guys. Randy Ayers and Eddie might have to try and get a little creative in how we defend against some teams.

Sagging and crowding the lane isn't working, our guys don't recover quick enough to get to the shooters. Speed, quickness, and guys endlessly practicing the three ball are changing the game.

It isn't a whole lot different then the NFL, teams are playing a whole different game then in the 80's and 90's. If you look at teams like the Suns they've got lots of guys that can cover alot of ground in a hurry.

Not many teams that have an imposing guy in the lane, and many shot blockers are off the ball guys like Blatche. And since they spread the floor and shoot from long range quickness in getting to the ball becomes more important then muscle under the boards.

I saw that Knicks game, what a sad state they're in. I can't beleive Thomas is still there, he must have as much dirt on his boss as Marbury says he has on him.

Posted by: GM | November 30, 2007 1:28 PM

GM, you're clearly a strange little old lady, or a little old shemale (ska "shim"). What are little old ladies during up this late in the afternoon anyway? Hope the recent up and down play hasn't caused you to soil your depend undergarments.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 30, 2007 2:00 PM

Logical thinking 101. You have one roster spot left and you have to make a selection between a pure shooting guard and a pure point guard. Mind you, you already have two 1's and two 2's. Which one do you select to make it 5 in the backcourt, thinking long term for the season?

Answer. The point guard. Why, because you can always use a pure point guard at the "2" spot a lot easier than sliding a pure shooting guard over to the "1" spot.

Case in point, the dilemma we have now. I have nothing against Mason. I like him on the team because there is always a place on the team for a good long range shooter.

However, he is a very limited guard who is being asked to do more then what he is able too. That is not his fault, nor Eddie's or Ernie's. This is Abe's fault for not wanting to put out the additional dollars to field a elite team when he found out Gilbert was going to be out 3 months or more.

Yes I know, how is it possible we are so close to the luxary tax if Abe has not put out money, at least we are not at the spending level of the Bobcats. That is correct. However, you have a potential major problem about to happen if AD is unable to play and we have no viable backup point guards? Abe spend the money, if not give it to Teddy "L" and let him do it.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 30, 2007 2:06 PM

DCMan, you are a crackup!!!!! Hillarious!!

How funny you are. How do you think this stuff Up!!!!!

Posted by: Santa | November 30, 2007 2:33 PM

slurping Depends now?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 30, 2007 5:27 PM

Let's assume AD doesn't suddenly out of the blue become unable to play. We've then wasted Abe's money by paying $6 million of his cash for a backup point who plays 12 minutes a game and is relegated to third string in 2.5 months.

If we're going to go into luxury territory it better be for serious playoff implications, not to provide insurance for a .500 season.

Posted by: JQuest | November 30, 2007 6:06 PM

didn't they say Opec would be out for 6 weeks? the way Ivan makes it seem it'll be another six weeks before he comes back.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 30, 2007 8:46 PM

Can McGuire fill the role that Jeffries did as an oversized pg? I'd like to see that guy on the court more.

Posted by: Quizzical | December 1, 2007 12:37 AM

"slurping Depends now?

Posted by: | November 30, 2007 05:27 PM "

Your mom tried to get me into her scat fetish, but I politely declined.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 1, 2007 8:55 AM

I'm really impressed with Blatche, and even Young. I really wanted us to get Young in the draft originally, but then I started to think he might be a wasted pick when he didn't have that great of a training camp and just an average summer leauge. He's been proving me wrong, for sure! So far he's averaging 7 points per game, which is huge for us since we've won alot of games by close margins and he's stepped up big in the absence of Gil.

By the way, if anyone on here would like to talk more about the Wiz or any team, please join www.nbadimensions.net

This isn't spam, or anything like that. I'm just a Wizards fan/poster on that site, and we need some more Wizards fans! So if you'd just like to see around the site, it'd be great to have anyone. Thanks.

Posted by: Bueno | December 2, 2007 1:07 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 2, 2007 2:13 AM

What is all this talk about paying millions of dollars for a D-league point guard? If we sign a rookie, we could pay him $400,000. We have about $150,000 under the cap. That means we'd be over $250,000. We'd have to double the overage, so we'd end up paying $500,000 with the tax. That's peanuts to avoid a total meltdown of the entire season.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 2, 2007 2:54 AM