Pesh out for six weeks

The news of the night here from Verizon Center is that rookie F-C Oleksiy Pecherov will be out up to six weeks with a hairline fracture in his right ankle. Pesh hurt the ankle in practice last Sunday and did not make the trip with the team. Eddie Jordan did say that he planned on at least using Pesh in some situations early on in the season - I would imagine that his role would have been similar to what we've seen from Nick Young and Dominic McGuire so far. "He's option," Jordan said. "A 7-footer who can pick-and-roll and hit the three-point shot, yeah, we like what we've seen from him."

The injury leaves the Wiz with 11 healthy players.

Jordan's keys for tonight's game against the Magic revolve around post defense (Dwight Howard), handling pick-and-roll situations, closing out on shooters (the Magic have made 20 of 40 threes in two games) and having all five players rebound. Offensively, he said he stressed patience and better shot selection. Maybe a few will go down early and the fellas will get rolling.

By Ivan Carter  |  November 3, 2007; 7:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boston beatdown
Next: Back at it

Comments

Too bad about Pesh. Wiz need a win here tonight.

Posted by: Smith | November 3, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Definitely shorthanded now. Anybody want to start up the infamous "Curse of Les Boulez?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 3, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Anybody got Sun Ming Ming or James Lang on speed dial?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 3, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if you guys can tell from television but it's dead in here. I mean, it's really flat. Atlanta was louder last week for a preseason game and that's saying something.

Posted by: Ivan | November 3, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Can Brendan get some help out there? Never thought I'd ever say that.

Posted by: LH | November 3, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

What is up with all the fireworks smoke? Also, have Les BouleS resorted to a recorded cheering track yet?

I hope Les BouleS win tonight though.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 3, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Would somebody stop this maddnes!

Posted by: The Godfather | November 3, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Roman | November 3, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Sit AJ on the bench...where's BLATCHE!

Posted by: EG | November 3, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Where's Blatche?! He must really be in EJ's doghouse...

Posted by: wisc. ave | November 3, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The wizards have no ball movement. Its been all one on one when they are forced into a half court offense.

Posted by: jmoney | November 3, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert does not look interested up to this point in the game. And I agree where is Blatche at?

Posted by: jmoney | November 3, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Then we jack up a 23 footer...and the J is not fallin. Patience...drive and dish!

Posted by: EG | November 3, 2007 8:09 PM | Report abuse

So here's another example of why I don't care for EJ: Roger Mason gets in the game (finally) and hits a couple of 3-pointers. EJ pulls him to put the starters back in. I'm OK with all of this so far. But late in the first half, AJ is tossing bricks again, Gil is chucking again, and the offense is stalling completely. They need someone who can nail a jumper. Why not put in Mason? Instead, he's buried on the bench. EJ has some kind of Joe Gibbs-itis, where he remains loyal to a fault. Give some people a chance if your guys aren't getting the job done.

Meanwhile, EJ has a 6-foot-11-inch kid sitting on the bench who had a pretty good preseason, yet he can't get any run during the season, so we see those idiotic lineups with Songaila and AJ at the 4 and 5.

Posted by: Colin | November 3, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz need a big halftime adjustment. The crowd can not get into it because there is no energy come from the Wiz. Someone needs to light a fire up under them.

Posted by: jmoney | November 3, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Colin. Where's Mason when everyone else is cold? And it might be time to start thinking about replacing Stevenson in the starting line-up and moving him to the end of the bench. Start Mason (for the long distance shooting) or Young (to break him in and see what he can do with extended minutes).

Posted by: wisc. ave | November 3, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Colin. I was think the exact same thing. EJ needs to go!

Posted by: EG | November 3, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

"I could probably name 100 guys off the top of my head who would be better than Sun Ming Ming. That is a stupid idea.

Posted by: Roman | November 3, 2007 08:04 PM "

Go for it! Give me your list.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 3, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

brenda sets a career high in rebounds, turkoglu drives and makes three straight trips to the foul line, and eddie jordan takes brenda OUT of the game.

a little league coach wouldn't make mistakes like that. enough is enough.

Posted by: bryc3 | November 3, 2007 9:19 PM | Report abuse

If EJ's offense suddenly becomes the worst in the league, than what is he worth to anyone?

And I don't want to hear about missed jumpers because this whole offense has always been predicated on jumpers. Too many times the Wizards come down, make one pass and watch that player stand around for about five seconds before taking a jumper. Notice tonight that Hedo for the Magic is taking everything to the basket and getting to the line. Meanwhile, the Wizards run isos with DeShawn, get 3-point attempts from brick tosser AJ or just turn the ball over. I'm so sick of this. Sure, it's only three games, but this has become tiring already. The Wizards have faced three defensive-minded teams already this season and been shut down completely. If that doesn't stress defense to these guys, I don't know what will.

I will give some big-time props to to Brendan Haywood, though. He is playing some great ball to start the season. In fact, he's the only one who looks like he wants to win, so we must be in some kind of Bizarro World. But good for him. He's the only one the Wizards can count on to be productive on the both ends of the floor.

Posted by: Colin | November 3, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Echoing everyhing that has been said on this site before, this small ball at the end of games or in the middle, whatever, does not work!!! When will EJ wake up.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 3, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Well said Colin! Props to BH!!

Posted by: MAK | November 3, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Never. EJ's clueless.

He went big one time with Songaila, AB and Haywood on the floor together, but he didn't give that lineup a chance. He pulled it quickly. Meanwhile, he'll play small ball until the wheels fall off. And the wheels always fall off.

Posted by: Colin | November 3, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Eddie for three straight trips to the playoffs. Goodbye and good luck in the future.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | November 3, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ah! It's only THREE GAMES GUYS! I felt the whole team fought their guts out. The bench players who many think deserved playing time were super smart for keeping quiet and keeping the bench warm. This team make me so proud. Just so darn super smart!

Seriously! Count me in as a voter to impeach EJ! This coach have no clue on how to run his team. They don't play with fire nor they play defense. Does anyone think Arenas is not the same player he once was? I give him time -- at least until the second half of the season but the way EJ keep his overplaying his starters, none of them will last throughout the season.

Posted by: demj | November 3, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Once again, AB gets in at the 2:38 mark in the 3rd Quarter. DMac got in early, Turk (spelling???) drives past him and slams it down. Guess what next, EJ yanks DMac out and he does not get back in the game until 53 seconds left in the game. Wow...

As I have said in last blogs Stevenson had no business getting that contract. As we all said the Wiz bid against themselves. Stevenson has no explosion what so ever. He never had a jumper so where does that leave him. Thanks to Gilbert pulling strings he got his boy a contract he had no business getting.

Lastly, big ups to my boy Haywood. I always knew if he got regular minutes he could produce. For the life of me I could not see how people who claim to know basketball could not see that. I am so glad he is finally able to get the chance to prove his critics wrong.

**** Don't know what is going on with AB. I wish Ivan could find out something...... (HINT, HINT)

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | November 3, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Opening night fiasco! What is going on with this team? No energy, no passion, no nothing. The open on jumbotron was embarassing. Look how rich I am with the cars and the diamonds and the pearls. Win basketball games!!!!

Posted by: allyoop | November 3, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

uhhhh....yeah this is not fun. My big concern here is that Gilbert is potentially a house of cards at this point. We all know he is a little different and I suspect his ego may be bruised after Boston. Nobody, except him, really knows the state of his knee but he is certainly not seeking contact like the Gilbert of old. He did try to defer a little more tonight but committed 6 critical turnovers. Three in a short period, during a critical juncture in the 3rd.

Jamison needs to come off the bench, it's not like he has not thrived in this role previously. We need to add Blatche for defense and just to mix it up a little. Eddie is like our President continues to employ the same methods and expecting different results. Come on, your the coach...make a decision, show the status quo is not cutting it. Sheesh.

Hats off to Brendan, we officially have a Center. This is a really big deal...

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | November 3, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Ironic the only guy playing with any sort of drive is the one guy everbody wanted out of here in #33. As fans all we ask for is the effort and determination to do whatever it takes to win. I only see it from #33.

Posted by: Allyoop | November 3, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Allyoop | November 3, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I was there. Butler also worked hard, with fire. 33 was fine. 8 should play more. Gilbert had no energy or sense of direction. McGuire could not --- could not --- defend Turkoglu, at all, ever. Stevenson has not had a decent minute in three games. AJ is AJ, and he does score. The team looks mechanical, like they're mailing it in from memory.

Could be a very long season.

Posted by: joe c | November 3, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Kind of quiet tonight in the amen corner, isn't it?

The offense seemed to perk up a bit when gIlbert came out. He's playing so pathetically that I can't believe he's healthy.

gIlbert has to focus on balling and stop with all the silly blogging, publicity-hogging and computer-gaming. At this point he's little more than a pathetic clown. I doubt 5 teams in the league would want him.

And EJ can't coach, true, but EG put this monstrosity of a team together.

There, now I feel better.

Posted by: Mitch | November 3, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | November 3, 2007 10:51 PM | Report abuse

even Indiana is playing uptempo and winning. slowing down and trying to concentrate on defense for this team is ludicrous and would probably net us Roy Hibbert. NO way we win unless we outshoot people. BTW, everybody who called Haywood 'Brenda' needs to STFU. All he needed was consistent playing time.

Posted by: mark | November 3, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

As long as Arenas is at point guard, the Wizards will never be one of the elite teams. He never has been and will never be somebody that can quarterback the team. Put him at shooting guard and move Daniels to point.

Posted by: Mombo | November 3, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

At the game tonight. Wiz can't shoot. A number of wide open 3s that they can't seem to make. Gilbert spent the 1st quarter trying to get everyone involved and they did absolutely nothing. Gil is not 100%. He's missing gimmees. The Wiz took the lead with Songalia on the floor. He has little lift but he plays the pick and roll probably the best of the big men. McGuire blocked turkulo's first shot and then Turkulogh scored twice on him-one in his face dunk. Eddie yanked him after that. Don't know why we are double teaming Howard. THe guy still has no go to move in the post. Play him straight up please. Pick and roll is still killing us. 0-5 is what we're staring at wiz a game at NJ and Denver coming here Friday. Benching Blatche and not letting the young guys play and learn is what is going to make Ernie show EJ the door. I agree that Mason made 2 threes and got the wiz back in the game and next thing you know Eddie sits him. He plays defense as well as DS and has a better outside shot.

Posted by: PTP23` | November 3, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Yo Ivan, that was one of the highlights of my night. I saw you walking down that tunnel and I got to meet you, haha. I got a bit nervous, but the convo was nice. Thanks with the blog update and hope to see you on washington post live some more. :)

Posted by: Will from Rockville | November 3, 2007 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"Ready to rule"

How about "Kobe or Lottery"?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 4, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Gil looked like the knee was bothering him. and I can't beleive I'm saying this but haywood looks like an allstar.

Posted by: the truth | November 4, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE PLEASE DON'T START THIS SAME EXCUSE CRAP AGAIN THIS YEAR.

EG & EJ would not have put Arenas on the floor IF he was not ready to play. Now, since they've lost x3 suddenly Gil is gimpy - having probs w/ knee.

Next, GM will chime in and say he's had the same operation before & its hard to recover..So could you spare us the excuses.

After his team is losing - Arenas is doing interviews - contacting the media for his interviews. What a sorry sack of menure.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 4, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

How rediculous:
"We're not in a bad way," said Eddie Jordan, last season's Eastern Conference All-Star coach. "We feel good. We'll bounce back."

Posted by: Alethia | November 4, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

"BTW, everybody who called Haywood 'Brenda' needs to STFU. All he needed was consistent playing time."

Posted by: kaloroma | November 4, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Blatche starting, too, with AJ coming off the bench, as I've said a few times on this board. But I think three games into the season is too quick to pull the plug on Antwan -- if Eddie is loyal to a fault, plenty of people on this board are too quick to scrap an all-star caliber forward.

Brendan has been blossoming at the 5, but I also think three games is too quick to pronounce him an unqualified success. Let's see if Brendan can sustain his focus longer than he has in the past.

DS has no business jacking up contested shots from the top of the key. I was glad to see Eddie put Mason in there for him, and if he's going to play that godawful small ball I was at least glad to see him putting Mason in the backcourt instead of that AD/Gil combination.

I also liked that lineup with Songaila, Blatche, Butler, Mason, and AD.

But Gil's got to get back to attacking the basket and finishing or dishing. Something's not right with him, and with Gil you can never tell if it's mental or physical. It seemed like he went about 12 minutes from mid-1st to mid-2nd without taking a shot. Reminded me of that time he pouted last year and didn't take a shot until the 4th because someone called him a ballhog.

Posted by: Prazak | November 4, 2007 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Didn't see the game tonight at all. Did see on the net that the Wizards were up one after three and that raised my hopes. It sounds like they didn't play that well at all and were a lot worse in the 4th quarter.
As to some of the points raised here. Mombo the problem with playing AD at point is that he can't play 30+ minutes a game for 70+ games, he isn't healthy enough and because the Wiz didn't keep a certain Spanish guard they have no one else to play PG.

Second, if this team falls to 0-5 or worse, it isn't just EJ who should be gone it maybe time for Grunfeld to make a deal to shake things up. And I am sorry given that Jamison is an equal liability at the defensive end of the floor as he is a weapon on the offensive end, he is the best person to deal.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 4, 2007 1:54 AM | Report abuse

I agree George. And I hate to already start looking at trades. But O'neil wants out of Indy and Jamison and a pick would work for him. My only concern would be O'neils health he hasn't played a somewhat full season in a while. This would free cap room for Indy next year and if O'neil stays healthy could rocket us close to the top of the east. And not sure Indy would want to trade him to a team in the east. Or if he even wants to leave anymore. Just a thought

Posted by: the truth | November 4, 2007 2:28 AM | Report abuse

"Mombo the problem with playing AD at point is that he can't play 30+ minutes a game for 70+ games, he isn't healthy enough "

Says who? I've seen people bring up the issue of Daniels being injury prone before like it's a fact, and it's not. Just the opposite. In ten years in the NBA he's played fewer than 71 games in a season only twice (not counting the lockout season when he played 47 of a possible 50): 68 in 99-00 and 67 in 02-03. He played in 80 games in each of his previous two seasons in D.C.

I'm not necessarily advocating that he should start (although I do think he should get more substantial, regular PT) but the whole idea that there's some kind of eminent concern with Daniels' durability has no real basis in fact.

Posted by: kalorama | November 4, 2007 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Let's see him do this for a stretch. Last year he played well (because he was mad) for about 10 games. Then he was back to Brenda. Then Etan got hurt, Brendan started and played with a fire. That fire went out before Etan got healthy.

I love what Brendan is showing now. I just have to see him do it on a consistent basis before I become a Brendan convert.

Funny how you guys are ready to crown him King after just 3 games, and in the same breath, ready to doom the wiz. You seem to be happy that Brendan is staying on the floor, yet, at the same time, angry that his backup, AB, is not getting playing time. If the wiz are going to play them at the same position, can't have it both ways.

DMac needs time, should have gotten plenty of PT in the Boston fiascal, but didn't. Questionable coaching decision ... yes. Tonights game was close, and he got schooled by Turk, so he got pulled, I have no problem with that because the game was close.

Gilbert and Antawn need to step up. If either of them had any kind of game tonight, the outcome probably would have been different.

If Gilbert wants to be a max paid player, he needs to shutup and hire an agent, so he can fully concentrate on basketball, and let the agent do the marketing.

3 games is early, and its plenty of time to turn things around. Look at how slow both the wiz and the heat started out last year, only the heat finished very strong. It makes no sense to start this badly with all of your parts supposedly healthy. Something is not right with Gil, and Antawn is, well he is what he is, a decent offensive player (usually) with absolutely no defense.

I'll wait a week before I start to get worried. Hopefully, with about a week off, they can sharpen up their offense. I am almost ready to jump on the Mark bandwagon, and agree that this team just cant do defense, so go with what you know and concentrate on offense. I said ALMOST.

I do feel that Antawn should be used in a trade package, but here is the problem with that ... EG needs Antawn's expiring contract to keep us from going over the luxury tax to re-sign Gil. So AJ is not going anywhere for anyone. And its no way EG brings in someone like Jermaine O'Neal because that puts the wiz way over the luxury tax when time to re-sign Gil. Now, all of a sudden, Kobe for Gil doesn't sound so bad to me. NO, NO, NO ... I take that back. I didn't say that ... it was my alter ego!!!

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 4, 2007 3:52 AM | Report abuse

As for the team, Caron was the only person who played with any heart. Gilbert looked far from 100%, which isn't surprising given the first back to back, but other people could have picked up more slack. I think this has been pointed out before but when DeShawn drives, he doesn't know what to do with the ball. He doesn't make a move to pass or score, he just kind of hopes to get fouled and then turns the ball over because he never attached with authority in the first place. In crunch time Jamison was trying to throw up those cute little flip shots in the lane and he got swatted. It was embarrassing.

Posted by: Louis | November 4, 2007 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Torture. That's what I'd call that game. Listening to Jordan in the postgame made me feel like I had been at a diffent game than he. Gilbert is either hurting or is ticked off at something. He went out of his way to do nothing on defense and only occasionally showed any interest at the offensive end. It was almost like,"If you want Kobe,then make the deal."

Posted by: Beeb | November 4, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Well, the Bucks were home for their first game and beat the Bulls. Even Yi, a rookie and a foreigner understood the gravity of the first game of the season at home:

""This game for our team was very important," Yi said. "First home game, opening game and we lost two in a row, so we've got to win.""

My question for Les BouleS is, what the heck are the team captains saying to the team? Who's getting taken out to the woodshed?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"so everyone wants Gil to dish. He led us in assist tonight with 6. everybody happy? we need him scoring 25 at least for us to have a good chance to win. EJ have a problem with Blatche tonight? what the heck !!

Posted by: mark | November 3, 2007 10:51 PM "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Gilby shot 5-15. If he had made his shots, he could have easily hit your 25 pt mark. I saw the game also, and Gilby took as many contested and uncontested shots as he did. He just wasn't hitting anything, so pretty much tuned himself out of the game. Maybe he had an afterparty to go to later.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"I was at the game tonight. It was so incredibly disappointing. Disturbing, even. Yes, the game was sluggish and the Wizards had little energy. But our home crowd was really, really pathetic. It was the first back to back of the season and the Wiz weren't going to have fresh legs--the fans should have offered an energy boost but didn't do anything!It was like the twilight zone in there. I was looking around trying to figure out if the people sitting around me knew they were at a basketball game, let alone the home opener for a team with high expectations for the season. I guess this is the reality in a town full of transplants from other cities and a lower bowl with a bunch of corporate season ticket holders who don't really follow the team. I was lucky to get a free ticket on the first level but I might have to stick to the 400's in the future.

Posted by: Louis | November 4, 2007 05:05 AM "

Blaming the fans now?

Hmmmm, maybe if the Orlando players were dumb enough to make a statement before the game about how they were going to come in here and beat Les BouleS and show off their fresh cuts, then the Les BouleS fans would have been more charged up.

How about spending less on smoky fireworks and try to get some more depth in the paint to ease being undermanned?

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Word out of the preseason was that we would have a strong bench. Why can't these kids get on the floor?

Posted by: CBT | November 4, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Bull. All he needed was consistent effort and focus. If he'd given that from the beginning, he would have gotten all the PT he wanted."

WRONG !
With the coach playing mind games, it's hard to concentrate on your job. Like I said when Etan went down, it's the best thing to happen this year. BTH will show what he can do because EJ has no one to turn to.

Posted by: mark | November 4, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Haywood hasn't changed. This is the same BTH we could have had last year if EJ had just put some faith in him and stopped yanking him and threatening his playing time with Etan. You guys think BTH had some sort of epiphany and changed his attitude? Get real. It was all about EJ having confidence in him.

Posted by: mark | November 4, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Check this out. Gilby has become an old man overnight, at the tender age of 25, where he needs to keep his body in check and adjustments to changing climates. Maybe Gilby should start wearing a warm wool cardigan over his jersey, or maybe Abe should spend less on fireworks and turn up the thermostat:

""I have a lot of fluid in there right now," said Arenas, who had the knee drained during the preseason and said he may do so again. "It feels like I'm carrying a five-pound weight around. Playing [Friday night], I didn't get to ice it as well as I could have and with the cold building here, I didn't have time to get it loose. It will be fine Thursday -- tonight was just my first-back-to-back so it's an adjustment for my body.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Well here we are again Wizards fans, hopeing, and praying for a contender. Laying all our hopes on the next game, when the big three ignites the score board and we walk awwy with a 133 to 132 victory. The truth of the matter is this teams at this point and I will admit it's early, plays little to no defense. No one is afraid to drive to the hoop on us, people camp out in out (red zone) and do as they please.Until this team get aggressive on defense and the offensive boards we'll see the same issues as last year with the same results. We'll probably back into the playoffs and be pumeled by any team that plays good defense and shoots the ball well.

Posted by: Wpete | November 4, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Pech was signing autographs in the hallway before the game. He told me he'd be out 4 weeks for whatever it's worth. EJ won't play him anyway, so i guess it's moot. I think GA was trying to get everyone else into the game and was only shooting as a last resort. That's not his game and that mindset will hurt us in the long run, I think. He needs to be aggressive. If he does that, he'll draw attention and free up teammates. I have the same questions till about the rotation. AB didn't get into the game til the 3rd quarter. I know EJ uses him as a backup C and didn't want to take bTH out, but what the heck??!! Put him in at PF !

Posted by: mark | November 4, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Wizards' slogan this year is, "are you ready?" Well, apparently, there are not!

They let Turkoglu, a jump shooter to drive to the basket and nobody can stop him! I am very surprised that he did that to Butler time and again. Is tough-juice's defense overrated? I can understand that Turkoglu may shoot over Butler because he is taller, but drive past him? They later try to taller player on him, Jamison (yeah right), and Blatche, but no use!

BTW, what happens to AB? Is he in coach's doghouse, he did not even get in until 4th quarter!

The only bright spot is Haywood, 16 rebounds, 5 blocks and 10 points, 3rd consecutive good outing!

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 4, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

one more note...The bulls are also 0-3 and many picked them to make it to the Finals. It's way too early to panic. We need to figure it out sooner rather than later, though. Let's try an aggressive zone with BTH in the middle, maybe? No dbl teaming in th low post. BTH is establishing a rep as a shot blocker and may be able to lock it down in the middle. He handled Howard last night one on one pretty well.

Posted by: mark | November 4, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, right again DCMan88--an old man overnight. Exactly. Optimistically, we're looking at a 35-win season. Time to deal Arenas and Jamison while we can still (presumably) get something for them, since it's obvious neither wants to be here, now or next year. Neither does Jordan.

It's Grunfeld's job to give people what they want. In this case, the sooner, the better.

Posted by: KTV | November 4, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

WOW Wizards fans, 0-3 lost a player for two weeks maybe more. 11 players left.

Is staying under the cap worth it now?

It does not look like it......

By by EJ.........

Posted by: Big Man | November 4, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

You guys who are ready to deal Antwan and Gil after three games sound a lot like the hyperactive Dan Snyder. Show a little patience, guys. These are two offensive thoroughbreds who are struggling to find their game, and y'all are ready to turn them into glue.

Are you similarly ready to consign the Bulls to the lottery after three games, or urge them to deal away Deng after last night's performance? The Bulls are showing the same offensive ineptitude that they have in stretches over the past three seasons. So they too are showing not just three bad games but three bad games that fall into a long pattern.

But at the same time it's just three games. Gil's coming off an injury and clearly isn't right. Antwan's not going to shoot bricks all season. And if the past is any indication, Brendan isn't going to be posting double-doubles into the indefinite future.

Having said that, I do think Ernie needs to cut the small ball crap. When he uses Songaila at the 5 it should be as part of tht lineup that has Blatche at the 4 (or vice versa), and pairs AD in the backcourt with Roger (or in the right circumstances, Nick) rather than Gilbert. I'd like to see Blatche taking more minutes from AJ, with a view toward starting him late this season early next.

And DS needs to relearn how to play within his limitations. He was a very servicable starting SG last year because he stuck to defense and to catching and shooting (at about 50% from the field). That was the guy that Ernie locked down for a bargain. But so far this year he's firing contested jumpers from beyond his range, driving underneath and throwing the ball way, and underperforming on defense. He's already played himself into a lot of time on the pine and if he keeps it up he'll be playing himself out of the starting unit.

Posted by: Prazak | November 4, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Mark ... two years ago, Brendan was the hands down starter at center, Etan was the backup. There was no question about this. At that time, the wiz website had into's for each player. All of the players (except Brendan) introduced themselves by giving their name, college (or high school), and position on the team. Example: Antawn Jamison, North Carolina, Power Forward. Here's what Brendan said: Brendan Haywood, North Carolina, Starting Center for the Washington Wizards.

It's all in Brendan's own mind. As soon as he starts to fade ( and I hope he doesn't, but won't be at all surprised if/when he does), and other's start to eat at his minutes, he will resort to the same attitude.

Plus, when was competition ever a bad thing? Shouldn't everyone earn/win their spot?

Chicago 0-3? I wonder what their fans are thinking ... fire the coach and get Kobe in here. NOT! Some fans the wiz have. Its no wonder it was so dead at the VC last night (of course the fans had little to cheer about) so its hard to blame them.

I have lower bowl seats (very close to the floor (row G, section not important), and of course the majority of folks around me are not corporate types, but real fans. But there are several seats behind me, and to the side that always have fans for the opposing team there. These seat have not been sold to season ticket holders ( probably too expensive), so they are seldom filled with wiz fans.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 4, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Bulletin: Paxson fires Skiles, trades Deng and Wallace, says it's time to rebuild after going 0-3. Blogging "fans" applaud, wait for next two losses to blame GM for making changes.

Posted by: joe c | November 4, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

2cents4wiz, I grew up a Bulls fan, long before the team became a media sensation in the 90s. I don't think you see the same widespread sense of attachment between city and team here in D.C. as you see in Chicago with the Bulls, the Cubs and Sox, and the Bears. Is it because so many people are transplants here and took up the local team as adults instead of as kids? I'm not blaming the Wiz fans for the team's struggles, just wondering out loud about why the fans are so quick to abandon players who don't perform after three games.

Posted by: Prazak | November 4, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Kalorama, AD has never played 30 minutes per game for a season and since his rookie year when he started 50 games (and even then played only 26.4 minutes per game) the most games he has started is 32 in 2003-04 (and then averaged 21 mpg). With only Donell Taylor as a backup if Gilbert plays the 2, AD would have to play a lot more minutes than he ever has and I have seen no evidence that he can do that in the NBA.

And prazak, how else are you going to shake this team up? I am not an advocate of trading Gil for Kobe, but Jamison is a very tradeable asset because of his expiring deal. I think we know that EJ will get fired if the slump gets much worse, but does Mike O'Koren (the probable successor) represent enough of a change to get this turned around. I doubt it. It may take a firing and a trade to turn this thing around.

Posted by: George Templeton | November 4, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

hey mr jordan, it's time for you to get out of town

Posted by: ak47 | November 4, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

You guys were told this a long time ago. As currently constructed this team will not go far in the playoffs and may not even make the playoffs. AB has to start so that this team has a chance defensively. Further, it needs a point guard that will share the ball, now! without these two elements it is at a lost. AJ would be great coming off the bench and use Roger Mason as your backup point guard starting AD. GA can pickup the PG slack later in the game, but this team needs to lead with energy and GA's style does not accomplish this.

Posted by: Anon | November 4, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mark, Haywood has been starting here for years, and he hasn't produced. It has nothing to do with EJ or Etan. It's all on Brendan. He's a 7-footer who's played eight inches shorter than he is for years. Finally, through three games this season, he's showing his full potential. And I'm happy to see it. I hope it's a consistent effort, though.

And 2cents4wiz, Bulls fans aren't panicking because the Bulls do this every year. They start in a hole, but they eventually string together extended winning streaks, something the Wizards never do. Plus, when you play good team defense, you're never out of it. The Wizards don't play good defense, so if they're not shooting well, they're not in a game. The Bulls are almost always in their games, so it's easier for them to turn it around, I think.

Posted by: Colin | November 4, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

George, I think what's needed after three games is a smaller shake-up than tearing up the team and starting over. Judging from their performance last year before the All-Star break, Ernie rightly decided to build around his nucleus rather than tearing it apart. We need AJ's expiring contract for the cap room, whether that means re-signing Gilbert or whether that means going after another high-profile free agent.

Posted by: Prazak | November 4, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88:

"88" is a lucky number in chinese. You want Sun Ming Ming on our team- in part to enliven Chinatown. You quote the Bucks' rookie, Yi.

You're chinese, aren't you?

Psst. FYI, James Lang is black, not chinese.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Colin,

Haywood has been here the same number of years as Etan (actually Etan was here one year before Haywood, but he spent the entire rookie season on injury list). He has "produced" no less than Etan. But somehow people got on his case and praised Etan, even though Etan is the one with higher salary. That's the part I don't understand. Aren't you supposed to be held to a higher standard if you are higher paid? Somehow in DC, the rule has been reversed!

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 4, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! Oh, by the way, Eddie needs to be fired. ASAP

Posted by: C.Bell | November 4, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

No, Prazak, not after three games--after three years PLUS three games. Arenas and jamison and Jordan are all great guys, and I'd love to have them as friends or neighbors. But they've taken this team as far as it can go with them, and now they're just going through the motions. Their minds are already on next year. After a few more losses, their fans will all be looking past this one too.

35 wins at this rate. No playoffs. No sellouts. No money for the luxury tax. No big signings. Do the math. As Arenas has said, he's in the entertainment business--and in any business you gotta do the math.

Posted by: KTV | November 4, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Anybody that really thought that we'd go into Boston and beat the Celtics on their opening night hasn't spent too much time watching NBA basketball.

I'd expect our team to beleive they could win that game. I'd have expected our coach to be smart enough to pace his players and realize that he had to win the second night of a back to back at home.

Last night's game was a poor effort by Arenas, plain and simple. You can blame alot of other things, but our best player was really off.

I've got to wonder about the heavy minutes the first two games, my guess is today or tomorrow the knee's going to have to be drained. I really thought Eddie would have to ease back Gil's minutes early. He hasn't, and he may pay the price for it.

We've got to see more of Blatche in rotation with Jamison and Haywood up front. The big positive so far has been Haywood's play and Butler after the slow night's shooting at Indiana.

You don't go on the road and beat playoff bound teams in this league. That's why last night's loss is so disappointing, we should have held home court against the Magic. But the first two losses aren't really too surprising to me.

I saw Arenas's interview where he said that he only sleeps three hours a night. Gilbert you're not a superhero, get some rest and learn to pace it with that knee.

Yeah I had that operation, and I never was an NBA player. But my point has always been it will be fine if Gilbert and Eddie take care of it. Right now they're not showing any common sense with his minutes in the first two games.

Last night on the second night of a back to back, Gilbert got a heavy dose of reality. When they stick that needle in there the second time and drain that crap out from under his knee cap maybe a little sense will kick in.

Sooner or later him and Eddie will have to realize that the go slow approach will have to extend into the season. That or they just keep sticking a needle in it over and over. Most people figure it out after a couple of times, I know I did cause it hurts like hell. And in the end you're just slowing down the healing process.

Good news is if they take care of it he should be fully recoverd by the second half. Or, we could just trade him now and get maybe .03 on a dollar for him.

Eddie Jordan coached these first three games like he's paying attention Mike Wise or some of the posters here. The NBA season isn't a sprint, I'd have thought he'd have learned that lesson last year.

Logging 40+ minutes to his starters is an invitation to repeat last year's breakdowns. For this team to win we've got to develop a rotation and when we're out rebounding a team get out and run.

I'd have been more shocked at 3-0 than 0 and 3. I always thought this was going to be a tough home opener to win coming right after the Boston game like it did. But I thought Eddie Jordan would have had the sense to have used the bench more heavily in Boston when they fell behind.

That's where these guys need to ignore the hype of being on national TV and know when and how to take a beating and regroup for the next game sometimes.

Life's short, but NBA season's are really long. There's still lots of time for this team to get it together, and if the don't Ernie's got 29m dollars to play with in FA and a lottery pick next summer.

Posted by: GM | November 4, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

HEY IVAN, STAND UP LIKE A MAN AND APOLOGIZE TO ETAN FOR YOUR COMMENT. BE A MAN.

Posted by: ak47 | November 4, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88:

You're chinese, aren't you?

Psst. FYI, James Lang is black, not chinese.

NO I'M FRENCH

Posted by: Anonymous | November 4, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

George,

What "evidence" is there that he can't do it? Thirty minutes per game is not a huge load for a starter. Is it possible he may not be able to handle it? Anything is possible, I suppose. But contrary to what you said ("...the problem with playing AD at point is that he can't play 30+ minutes a game for 70+ games, he isn't healthy enough") there is absolutely no existing, documented evidence that Daniels health wouldn't be able to hold up to 30 mpg. That's just random, unfounded speculation.

Posted by: kalorama | November 4, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Sagaliba , no one is holding Haywood to a "higher" standard than Thomas. He's being held to exactly the same standard: play hard, give full effort all the time, and don't put yourself ahead of the team. Unlike Etan, Haywood has generally failed to meet that standard.

Posted by: kalorama | November 4, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"DC Man88:

You're chinese, aren't you?

Psst. FYI, James Lang is black, not chinese.

NO I'M FRENCH

Posted by: | November 4, 2007 01:26 PM "

I guess when I quote Wilbon, then I am black also. Or when I quote Ernie or Mike Wise, I'm jewish. Or when I quote Gilby, then I am black again.

So the chinese have a monopoly on the number 88? I thought someone said here that 88 signified Nazis too. 88 is the number that I used when playing football in HS many years ago, if you really care.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"The Pacers went to 3 and 0 last night. Haven't exactly looked like a lottery bound team that we should have blown out quite yet.

Posted by: GM | November 4, 2007 01:18 PM"

GM missed the point about Indiana. The point was that Indiana was a lottery team last season. Starting this season, they were without their franchise player, without Troy Murphy, and without Jeff Foster for the 4th quarter.

Apparently, they still got their act together during the summer, were able to come together as a TEAM against Les BouleS, and thus embarrassed Les BouleS while winning at home.

Anybody who's ever watched a minute of sports should know that you don't talk trash before a game in someone's home court because they don't need any extra incentive to beat you on the first night.

GM apparently didn't see how charged up the fans were because of Gilby's big mouth. And, Gilby once again couldn't back it up and left with his tail between his legs. As least in Gilby's mind, he looked fresh anyway with his hair cut.

Arenas, only sleeping 3 hours per night, should be a reason for him to throw out his playstation and get a grip. He as a professional athlete who talks about tough workouts should know better, especially since he said he bought a hyperbaric chamber to sleep in.

GM, please stop apologizing. Arenas is 25, and can and should be able to back up his own words and actions.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

In his postgame interview, EJ said that he doesn't trust our young guys to play together. He wants only one of the rookies or Blatche on the court at a time, with four veterans to maintain a steadying influence.

I think that's unfortunate. Our young guys are most comfortable playing together, not alongside our vets. Summer league and practice, they know each others' games better than the vets'. Give them a chance, EJ, they might surprise you. In the blowout loss to Boston, they certainly couldn't have done any worse. At the very least, our starters could have rested up for the home opener the next day.

Posted by: TC | November 4, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well...it's been ONLY three games, but this is not looking good at all. We have the same core group of guys we've had for years now and we look out of sync and lost. The early season should be to our advantage.

It's obvious Gilbert is limited, but real max player superstars find ways to win and make contributions without being 100%. Skylarking on defense and letting Rajon Rondo drive by you to go 7 for 10 shooting is inexcusable - play OFF him!!! AJ is never going to be a good defender, but Van Gundy pointed out really simple things like blocking out that AJ does not do consistently - he is a 31 yr old veteran. I think EJ - Mr. Players coach - lets his veterans and starters get away with things consistently and then AB or McGuire have it happen to them once or twice and they get benched. At least they have the excuse of being young. Stupid!!!

I almost hope we lose a few more and EJ loses his job. It's over for him. By the way, he has a career losing record too!!!

My final comment is about Brenda. I too like him a lot in stretches, but it's a long season. I doubt his penchant for disappearing for long stretches during games and during the season is over. We'll see. If he keeps this up, he is the only all-star on the team. LOL

Posted by: Rob P | November 4, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Etan, Haywood has generally failed to meet that standard.

Posted by: kalorama
------------------------------------------

I don't think punching out teammate is "put team ahead of oneself." I am not saying Haywood was completely right. But I do feel you guys have double standard in comparing Etan and Hatwood.

Posted by: Sagaliba | November 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm not quite ready to give Haywood the MVP trophy. I just wish ppl could understand how difficult it must be play well if you have to worry about getting yanked if you make a simple mistake. Last night, he put the ball on the floor in a crowd and had it taken away from him. In years past, he would have been taken out in favor of Etan or Booth. This year since EJ had no choice he left him in. Next time down court, he blocked a shot.
Last year, I put a link on this blog to a website that showed that BTH has the second highest standing reach in the league. He's effective. Even Hollinger (who I often disagree with) said 2 years ago that BTH was highly underrated as a defender and he had stats to back it up. Tyson Chandler is another example of a guy who (when given the chance) showed what he could do. I don't think Haywood is a great player. The way the league is now, though, he could be a top 5 center. Who would you rather have on this team considering we need rebound and blocked shots from the C position? It's a short list . Yao M, Dwight H., Stoudemire , J. Oneal? Curry plays no D and doesn't count. Duncan plays PF. BTH fits in right behind these guys. Okur is a scorer,... no D. I think he can finish with 10, 10, 2. points rebounds and blocks. Time will tell.

Posted by: mark | November 4, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Really...the wiz have no history of digging an early hole and making a run, huh? I guess last season and the year before doesn't count.

No doubt I would prefer a better start but after 3 games, people need to just relax.

The talent is there on this team. HC abilities is definitely lacking though.

Posted by: Wizzz | November 4, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Spelling Oleksiy Pecherov

Posted by: truthaboutit.blogspot.com | November 4, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Etan was drafted by Dallas and traded to Washington at the trade deadline in 2001 as a part of the Juwan Howard deal. Etan was on injured reserve because of a toe injury, and remained there his entire rookie season. Brendan joined the wiz the next year.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 4, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Radskins Insider has started using login names to identify comment posters. Doing the same here would cut down on the false posting. Let's do it, Ivan.

Posted by: freedom0125 | November 4, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz looked pretty awful against Orlando and Boston, but it's stupid to panic or to throw EJ under the bus just yet. Arenas, Jamison and Butler are too talented offensively to play this badly for very long.They've just got to be patient and run the Princeton and help on D at the other end. BTH has been the big surprise--this is the kind of player that MJ undoubtedly envisioned him becoming when he made the deal to acquire him back in 2001. I just hope he keeps it up.

Posted by: John Brisker | November 4, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

You guys are funny. Good thing teams aren't rated by fan quality.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 4, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Brisky,

Preaching patience is a good idea, but most Les BouleS fans expect more from the team than what we've seen thus far. This team has been together for 3 years now, and they lost to:

Indiana - lottery team last season missing most of their top guys.

Boston - another lottery team from last year with 3 superstars just fresh from training camp.

Orlando - a mix and match team with 2 really good players, although Les BouleS matched up well against them.

However you choose to slide it, whether you're half full or half empty, these first 3 losses were atrocious and embarrassing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

As far as BH is concerned, it might help that he is now getting 30+ minutes a game.

Posted by: Tim | November 4, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised at what BTH has done so far. I've always said that that given the PT and opportunity, this cat can produce. We saw it last time when Larry was on the team and BTH got his touches.

Did anyone think he would be as tough as 'Zo or Shaq? No. Can he give Les BouleS decent production without being as tough? Sure.

Now you see why EG didn't trade BTH and kept him regardless of what EJ thought. As I also predicted before, EJ is on a short leash. It was evident by the fact that his assistants were only given 1 year extensions, so Les BouleS won't have to pay too much severance in case they get canned.

If I were EJ, I'd scrap the princeton and do more uptempto without sacrificing defense. Gilby has never played on a team that required a disciplined offense. He can't thrive like that. EJ can let him loose, but still insist that he play D.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 4, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Brisk, why throw EJ under the bus--especially when the Metro is right next door to the VC. Just kidding, dudes, just kidding!!! But EG won't be after a few more horrendous losses.

Posted by: Mitch | November 4, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

AS FIGURED "GM" MAKING EXCUSES FOR GILBERT ARENAS. He's an All Star, he doesn't get to make excuses - he's expected to produce

GM you really need to quit. And could you say whatever in less than 10 mins. T.M.I re:"personal" illnesses. T.M.I sir.

2nd

Apparently, there's something up btwn EJ & GA.

ESPN and NBA.com have written that EJ & GA currently having problems.."His star player not happy. Why? not disclosed.
writer said:
"If Eddie Jordan wants to get off to a good start, he better try to work things out with this star player"

It was the same last season just before his injury.

Posted by: Anon2 | November 5, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey, just in case anybody forgot what I said earlier; FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! FIRE EDDIE JORDAN! If anyone out there is truly reading these posts, can someone please tell me why the hell did it take Dumbass so long to put Blatche in the other night?

Posted by: C.Bell | November 5, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

And one other note: In the midst of all this crap that's going on, did anybody notice that Deshawn quit on this team the second he signed that contract? You talk about being a non factor? Ernie should've kept that fool on 1 yr contracts forever!! That seems to be the problem for this whole team. In their minds (with the exception of Brendan...at least for now) they feel like they can just show up and teams are gonna be scared of them because of who they are and what they've done in the past. News flash fellas, everyone has figured out how to beat you. Play pick-n-roll with Arenas and Jamison, and force you to shoot jumpers all night. And Eddie hasn't figured out how to adjust to other teams' strategies. And I'm not gonna add the word yet to the end of the sentence because I honestly believe that he has no answer for it.

Posted by: C.Bell | November 5, 2007 2:32 AM | Report abuse

Why does no one give Steve Nash crap for not playing any defense? He's an assist guy and GA is a scoring guy. Different side of the same coin. Seems like people hold GA to a different standard. Maybe it's because we're losing right now. Or is it because he plays PG and most ppl are kinda old fashioned in their thinking about how PG's should play? The traditional early-Isiah/Stockton guy who only sets up his teammates is rare. BTW, it's not just Nash that doesn't play D. There are a heck of a lot of max players out there that can't stop anyone and don't even try. Folks keep saying GA is selfish but I don't buy it. He's getting his max contract. He doesn't need stats at this point. I think he's scoring because he thinks that scoring is what this team needs from him. You know what, he's right. Also, all summer I was asking for Caron to move to the SG position and start Blatche at the 3 for defense. I was dead wrong about that. Caron turns the ball over too much and doesn't have it in him to play the 2. He'd also get lit up by whoever he was trying to guard (though he'd be able to give some back, too). As for EJ, we need to give him some time to figure out that what we're doing isn't working. Evaluate him after the year is over. Our team is still young and there's no need to panic even if we miss the playoffs this year. The only concern is GA leaving and that's unlikely. .

Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

It's really tough to criticize a guy, Nash, who's been MVP two years in a row and has helped his team deep into the playoffs. Maybe if Gilby had the credentials and LEADERSHIP QUALITY that Nash has, then you can speak of them really in the same sentence as equal players.

Gilby is an athletic player who can occasionally finish above the rim. I doubt if Nash can even touch the rim. Different builds and different athletic abilities. If you don't really see the difference between Gilby and Nash, you need a new prescription.

Also, anyone who thinks Gilby can coast this season and not produce like he did early last season, in order to get a max contract is not a smart consumer. Gilby by no means is guaranteed a max contract if he continues to play like he did the first 3 games. If nothing else, EG would be worried more about Gilby's trade value before he worries about his max contract request.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 5, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

CBell, GM is always full of excuses. He needs to prop Gilby up as much as possible to make himself feel good that this team has all star appeal in a basketball player and to justify the money he spends on VC tickets, beer, and hotdogs.

I always said that EG should have never signed DS to anything. Gilby may have forced EG's hand to sign him even though Gilby said he will not get involved in those management type of matters with regard to personnel. He also backtracted recently with Chick Hernandez when he said that if Caron or AJ are not here next season, he considers it a rebuilding team, and will walk also.

I'd have rather signed JCN and let him be a gunner, rather than sign DS who can't be a gunner or a defender.

Gilby seems or appears to be a nice guy, but there are multiple motives for every thing that comes out of his mouth. Most of it is self promotion. He gets a by b/c he's labeled as "quirky" and unpredictable. It's all a facade. Gilby is a two faced liar.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 5, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

CBell, DS actually played good defense to start the last couple games and then kinda let up. It's hard to play individually if you don't have your teammates backing you up. If he shades over to help with a dbl team and no one covers his man, he looks like the bad guy. I wanted JCN rather than DS, too but we need somebody in the starting lineup who doesn't need the ball to be effective, I guess. If we go all-offense, DS might still be effective spotting up. He can hit a three if you give him time.

Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna break my rule and respond because you obviously misunderstood (again), GilCrush. Nash did not get his team into the playoffs alone any more than he got the Mavs into the playoffs when he was there. Didn't the Mavs go further after he left, btw? You can't look at trophies to compare players. That's ridiculous. Swap Garnett with Tim Duncan and you don't think Garnett would have won all those championships? Of course he would have. Put AI on those Suns teams from the past few years and AI (who is very underrated as a passer) would probably average 30 and 10. It's about the team. Nash and GA are both great players but Nash has a system suited to his talents and a better team suited to that system. I look forward to the day that these Wiz win so the incessant GA bashing will stop. Did you all prefer Steve Colter, Ennis Whatley, Frank Johnson, Brent Price?

Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Chillax, Mark, gIlbert can fend for himself. And he loves to be the center of attention and controversy, so if anything he loves all the critical stuff said about him. The worst purgatory for gIlbert would be for no one to be talking about him.

The stuff about Nash has nothing to do with the wIz. Good player, bad hair, wrong uniform.

The capital "I" in wIz should remain there until they get up to an average of at least 20 assists per game, by the way.

Posted by: Mitch | November 5, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Gil will be fine as will the rest of the wiz kids. 79 games to go...

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | November 5, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

DC,

Self-promotion is a huge plus for a max contract player.

Look at it this way: Tim Duncan is worth way more than a max contract based purely on what he does on the court. If he were as good at self-promotion as Gil, he'd be even more valuable to his team. The extra ticket sales, etc. would make it more palatable for his team to go over the luxury tax, for example.

Of course, Gil's on-court performance doesn't merit a max contract yet, but the potential is there.

Posted by: TC | November 5, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Mark, I guess being MVP of the league 2 times in a row doesn't mean much to you. Nash is such as simple player that no one wants to play with him, nevermind taking less money just to play with him (ie. Grant Hill). Nash sucks and should be back in Canada playing hockey right?

TC, self promotion is great for Gilby, but how does it help the Les BouleS fans or help the franchise get deeper into the playoffs? It doesn't.

Self promotion just helps #1, Gilby himself. He's looking like a fool though, as of late. Portland last season, Boston this season, etc. If AJ, the co team captain, is smart, he'll take Gilby back out into that woodshed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 5, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"I don't think punching out teammate is "put team ahead of oneself."

In pretty much everything that's been written about their physical altercations, Haywood has been portrayed as the instigator.

Add to that his frequent sulking, half-speed play, and his openly cheering his team's defeat from the bench, and there's no question who's displayed less team spirit.

Posted by: kalorama | November 5, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Ennis Whatley ... now there's a stiff reminder of where we have come from.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | November 5, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Mark, the reason they don't give Nash crap is because he does other things than pass. If he doesn't have his shot going he has the ability to get other guys shots. If the other guys arn't scoring he can shoot. Gil just seems to be a scorer. He does look for other guys but just doesn't have the "true" point guard court awareness. Your right, Nash has an awesome surrounding cast which also helps when distributing the ball. By the way you should've stuck to your rule, Dc is a drama queen.

Posted by: the truth | November 5, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess no ones looking at the great shooting JCN has put up so far. Yeah, he would've really helped us. 33% from the field and 44 from 3 but so far he's a turnover machine 18 min avg at 4 turnovers. So you guys are right, as of this point he would fit right in.

Posted by: the truth | November 5, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"By the way you should've stuck to your rule, Dc is a drama queen.

Posted by: the truth | November 5, 2007 02:07 PM "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

How can I be the drama queen if I'm not the one creating the drama. Did I badmouth Bahston? Did I say my knee is sore? Did I say Indiana, a lottery team last season, is a very good team as a reason why my team lost? Did I say Verizon is cold?

Don't think so. The "truth" is wrong again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 5, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Mark,

I agree with you that the criticism of Arena's is premature and overblown at this point in the season. That being said, trying to prove Arenas's case by knocking Nash is a no-win proposition. Nash is very unique and special player who does what he does better than almost anyone in the NBA.

Posted by: kalorama | November 5, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

DC Dude and a few others are realist.
Arenas is about ArenAs period.
My main issue with the guy is his lack of cohesiveness with his team. lack of interest in HIS team. Got lots to say about erbody else..just no positive nor complimentary words for his teammates.
He's EVERYWHERE!
Can't recall TMac, Nash, Magic, Stoudemire, Marion, Matombo, MJ - nobody calling anybody for an interview etc but there was one player akin to Arenas - Dennis Rodman - all the theatrics and BS to be seen. Even wearing a wedding dress...Arenas as Rodman sounds bi-polar(manic depressive) It is difficult to get a handle on that personality type..EJ is reportedly having problems with him 'AGAIN" understandable cuz Its hard to know which "mood" he will show up with....the amount of energy he'll show up with..depending on the meds & moods.
Did not say he wasn't "smart" just emotionally challenged.

Its going to be a difficult season - as the last - It'll be interesting "Which Mood will show up.

Now is Mr. GM can relate to that as well...
again..TMI Sir, TMI(too much information)

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Oh I'm not knocking Nash at all. He's top 5 all time in my book in regard to court vision and passing. (Nash, Magic, Penny, Kidd, Isiah in no particular order). He's also a great clutch shooter and one of the best ever at the FT line. I'm just saying that he, Stockton and Magic were mediocre defensively. They never got called out because they racked up assists. Gil racks up points instead. I agree that he's a shameless self promoter. That was done for the publicity and the contract. If you separate Gil Arenas from Agent Zero, Gil Arenas is a pretty darn good player who DOES make Caron and AJ better. Didn't they get to their first all star games with him? (I could be wrong about that)

Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Nash does a lot more than "rack up assists." Stephon Marbury, in his prime, racked up assists and he was nowhere near as valuable a player as Nash is. Lots of guys get assists (just like lots of guys score points). Nash creates plays for teammates where there wouldn't even be plays otherwise. Big difference.

Posted by: kalorama | November 5, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

...but my point was he plays no D and gets no grief. Even if he's creating for others, it's still only on one half of the court. Gil creates for others, as well. His ability to score helps to open up the game for Caron and AJ and others. Anyway, I just wonder why bloggers here are ready to vilify GA for doing the only thing he does well. It's probably because he's shot poorly the first 3 games. If he was at 50% and averaging 30, there would probably be no complaints

Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just saying that he, Stockton and Magic were mediocre defensively. They never got called out because they racked up assists. Gil racks up points instead.
Posted by: mark | November 5, 2007 05:22 PM "

Mark is making apologies again.

Comparing Gilby to Stockton and Magic is ridiculous. Both Stockton and Magic are legends, and the difference between them and Gilby is that they left it all on the court, on both ends. They maxed out their physical tools. They gave it their all, night in and night out. They made their teammates into a team.

Gilby has the ability to play D, but shows no interest. People are saying he's fast, quick, big, etc., so that means he's got the physical tools to do it, but doesn't have the heart or desire to. When was the last time ANYONE has ever seen Gilby take a charge?

Gilby is content to let his man blow by him so that the big men can bail him out while he runs down the court for the score. Gilby was quoted in the preseason as saying there are enough scorers on the team, and that he needs everyone else to just back him. Gilby is full of himself, and it's nice to see him fall back to earth. Hopefully, he'll take this as a wakeup call and see the error in his selfish ways.

Posted by: DC Man88 | November 6, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Caron Butler will tell anybody - he got his strength and training skills from KOBE.

He said it when first traded to Wiz. Kobe taught him HOW to train - practice - focus
He was very explicit when asked.

Now, he isn't dumb - he won't say too much about that now because he HAS to play with Arenas..but if you ever watched him closely last year - he was the one encouraging & proping up Arenas...who has absolutely no interest in anyone but himself.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"...but my point was he plays no D and gets no grief. Even if he's creating for others, it's still only on one half of the court."

Nash has gotten quite a bit of grief for not playing defense. Fortunately for him, most of it has come from people who don't seem to understand basketball.

The bottom line is he makes his teammates better overall. He even makes them better defensively, because they know that if they get a stop or a steal and force a fastbreak going the other way, they've got a very good chance at getting a score because Nash will be actively looking for ways to get them the ball rather than focusing on getting his own shot up. He may not play great defense (although he's not as awful as people make him out to be) but in a roundabout way, he makes the rest of the team play harder on defense because of what he does at the other end.

"Gil creates for others, as well. His ability to score helps to open up the game for Caron and AJ and others."

No argument there. I've made that point more than once myself, previously.

"Anyway, I just wonder why bloggers here are ready to vilify GA for doing the only thing he does well. It's probably because he's shot poorly the first 3 games. If he was at 50% and averaging 30, there would probably be no complaints"

You just answered your own question. He's a shooter whose shot isn't falling. That opens him up to criticism if he doesn't do other things to help the team.

I think that much of the criticism of Arenas is overblown and that it's simply a matter of time before he (A) gains more confidence and strength in his knee and (B) shoots his way out of this slump. There's some pretty clear reasons why he might be struggling early. But until he gets it going, it's hardly a surprise that people will take shots at him. He's the franchise's most visible player. Comes with the territory.

Posted by: kalorama | November 6, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse