Evening update

It's a good thing that the Wiz are going to have Mike Wilks in uniform for shootaround Wednesday because they need the extra body. The team practiced with six guys today because Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison were sent home sick and Andray Blatche was excused to attend to a personal matter (don't worry, it's nothing bad I hear.)

Wilks will give them 10 players which should allow for 5 of 5 work. Oh, and today produced some good news on Oleksiy Pecherov. He took that walking boot off and was working on a stationary bike during practice and then did some light shooting afterward. He's two to three weeks away from practicing. Pesh would give the team 11.

For my story in tomorrow's paper, I write about Eddie deciding to start Nick Young again Wednesday night and beyond. Basically, Eddie likes having Roger Mason Jr. coming off the bench because he's comfortable and thriving in that role and he wants to give Nick a chance to start again because he was hampered by early foul trouble Saturday night.

Eddie's not whining about the lack of healthy bodies but he's clearly not thrilled about it either: "Today is a day you would normally really get up and down and, as they say, blow the pipes out," he said. "We had a day off and you would like to scrimmage a little but we can't do that so it's going to be good to have someone come in so we can do that."

The six guys who were there (DeShawn, Young, D McGuire, Haywood, Songaila and Mason) did 5-0 work and also split up for 3 on 3 work. I saw them doing some pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop defense.

Someone on the blog asked about the team's plans for Wilks, who has a non-guaranteed deal. Here's how I read it: they'll keep and may play him some until Antonio gets back. Barring injury to Daniels, Mason or Nick Young or barring Wilks turning into the next Tiny Archibald, he won't be here that long. Should they release him, they will also have the option of signing him or another player to a 10-day contract starting Jan. 5. Players can sign consecutive 10-days and after that, the team must pick them up for the season. That's how Billy Thomas stuck two years ago.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 17, 2007; 7:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wilks in the house
Next: Kobe And Da Bulls

Comments

Pecherov 2-3 weeks away ;)

Posted by: reispace | December 17, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

from practicing

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping they'd bring back Gerald Fitch.

Posted by: Darnell | December 17, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, Opec has been "2-3 weeks away" for what, nearly two months now?

Posted by: John Brisker | December 17, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

There has been progress now that he has been able to take the boot off.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I luv Gilby! Do you think he notices me when I wink and smile and sashay around at the games?

Sashay! '-)

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 17, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

John Brisker, thats exactly what I'm thinking

Posted by: Drexler | December 17, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

That DC guy, man... What do you mean "sashay"? Do tell. Does that mean you like to swing your hips around all prissy like? What does it mean?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Really. What does "sashay" mean? In this context?

I don't know if I should keep laughing or worry about this guy. He seems desperate for attention, but it's just so funny.

Posted by: Ivan | December 17, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Sashay! '-)

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 17, 2007 09:22 PM
---
Good for you, embrace it more fully now. Tell us when you began to feel like your love was not being returned. When you felt the first sense of horror, lost, and anger. I know family issues may have been the basis for your initial feelings of selfworth (or worthlessness)--mum did not hug you sufficeintly; well dad being dad? Share, we are here for you.

Posted by: Skeef | December 17, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

If they release Wilks after 10 games, then they could give Andre Barrett a try. He's really playing well in the D League.

Posted by: Quizzical | December 17, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Sashay: To strut or flounce in a showy way.

Is that what you do at the games to try to catch Gil's attention, DC Man88? Then you smile and wink at him?

Does Gil seem to notice?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

DC, you don't get any respect on this blog, do you?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

DC, you don't get any respect on this blog, do you?

Posted by: | December 17, 2007 10:44 PM

nobody's fault but his, he lost it all on his own!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Because of the open slots, there has been some talk of picking up European players and the impact on contracts, etc. Got a general question about all that: Is the money good for marginal players? I recall the ridiculous offer that C-Webb had last year and the solid money that college players seemed to get at times, but it is not at all clear to me 1) is this consistent from league to league, 2) do lots of players do very well in Euroball, 3) do many players prefer to skip the vagaries of the NBA if they can earn a better living in Europe? And what about the women? Are they able to make more money in Europe than WNBA?

i guess this is the same sort of calculus that baseball players make in thinking about playing in Japan.

Posted by: duk | December 17, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't expect Pecherov to be much of a factor when he does return. He's basically been inactive since the beginning of preseason. In addition to being out of shape and out of rhythm and sync with the rest of the team, he'll be way behind on his learning curve.

Posted by: kalorama | December 17, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

And to add Kalorama's point, it seems that the frontcourt is the one place at the moment where we don't have to throw someone in right away. As long as BTH, Blatche, Songaila and Jamison stay healthy, the Wizards can take their time with O-Pec.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 18, 2007 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Damn, somebody beat me to it. But i'll say it again anyway. Pesh been 2 to 3 weeks for damn near 2 months now. Did somebody drop the ball with his diagnosis or what?

Posted by: C.Bell | December 18, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

I doubt they 'dropped' the ball, probably one of those injuries that takes different amounts of time for different guys to come back from.

I think when it first was reported the guys thought it was a sprain... then they upgraded it to fracture.

Posted by: greg | December 18, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Shoot, this chat is even more off-message than usual today!

Anyway, Ivan, those were some nice touches in this morning's story... the coaches vs players 5 on 5 really gave the reader a snapshot of the good chemistry here... and the portrait of Nick Young's current problem and opporunity was good reporting. If Nick can come out strong against Ben Gordon, who (as I remember from a Wizards home game last year) does tend to start slowly... then we could go with Stevenson on Hinrich to start.

Posted by: khrabb | December 18, 2007 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Folks, I think that was somebody else posing as DC man over the last couple of blogs.

GT, I think you're right the Wizards have a pretty good frontcourt now. It's still too early to speculate, but I can't help but wonder what happens next year when they bring in Veremeenko. They may trade one away. I hope McGuire gets some good playing time, and keeps working on his jump shot.

Posted by: rgz | December 18, 2007 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Is Laron Profit available?

Posted by: maybe exree hipp too | December 18, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Is Laron Profit available?

Posted by: maybe exree hipp too

Wow, exree hipp - a blast from the past!!! There are some serious Terp fans on this blog. Being an alumn, I can't complain about it. Go Terps!

Now ... back on topic. I told you all if you ask me again in a week that I would tell you the same thing again ...

Pecherov out 2-3 weeks.

Go Wizards!

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Gee ... only typed half of my handle - 2cents.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 18, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: khrabb | December 18, 2007 05:34 AM

I can see where, in certain situations, the Coaches may have weird advantage over the players - Coaches being so slow, the players may make a double move and the coach still in the same defensive spot...

Like a knuckleball pitcher in baseball - it could mess up your timing.

Posted by: Rook | December 18, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I have some concerns. Why is Pecherov always two-three weeks away, from practicing at that. It seems he is always on the same time table for return. How sick are "the big 2", are they just resting as caution or are they in bad shape. Why is Andray Blatche always excused from practice for personal reasons, I feel like I have read that about 3 or 4 times at the bottom of article Ivan has wrote. We need to pull it together and go 2 for 3 at least this week.

Posted by: LooseCannon | December 18, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't really expect much from Pecherov. He's 2-3 years from being a solid player but definitely not the second coming of Nowitski. Can rebound but take too much 3 and no defense (what the Wiz really needs). They could have gotten a vet that can help ASAP instead.

Posted by: Dave, | December 18, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Some posters see a lot of upside in Pech; I see a project that's a good season or two away from significant PT. He's young though, and may be a real contributor just as the Wiz become contenders.

Posted by: reispace | December 18, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

" No one on the team has undergone more of a personality makeover than Brendan Haywood, the recovering malcontent without a cause.

That was Haywood outplaying both Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning in Miami. That was Haywood accumulating 17 points and 11 rebounds against the Kings and registering his 10th double-double of the season.

The Haywood who used to pout around Jordan and put up his fists around the Poet has been labeled a missing person."-Tom Knott

lol, Keep it up Brendan

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully's Andray's situation is nothing that a course of penicillin won't cure.

Why don't the Wizards' use the beat reporters to scrimmage? With Ivan on the floor, the Wizards will get used to a shot-happy jacker (he's like Hopla, except he doesn't make anything), and with John Mitchell, they'll get a dose of molar-rattling picks.

Posted by: Sean | December 18, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree with you a bit, Dave. There were stretches during summer league play where Pecherov showed a knack for physical post defense. Granted, it was summer league and he was playing mostly against guys who will never wear real NBA uniforms, but the fact that he he put forth the effort and didn't appear to be completely clueless on defense was encouraging.

That said, this is probably a lost year for him.

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

On Wilks: "I don't know that much about him. I know he's had some time in the league and I know that he's solid and reliable so, again, he's guy that we're interested in." How does a team sign someone the coach doesn't know much abouta/

Posted by: browneri | December 18, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

the gm makes personnel decisions... the coach coaches.

Posted by: greg | December 18, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Brendan was a malcontent only toward the coach, who did not appreciate or respect him. Look at what the team has been missing because Eddie wanted to get in a pissing match with the guy.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 18, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"Tom Knott knows nothing about the Wizards. Brendan's teammates have never had a problem with him and he is actually well liked.

Brendan was a malcontent only toward the coach, who did not appreciate or respect him. Look at what the team has been missing because Eddie wanted to get in a pissing match with the guy".

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 18, 2007 12:56 PM

Learnedhand1 - True 110%. Where were you when Mark, Keith and myself were making this same agruement since last season on this blog against all of the Haywood naysayers?

We needed some BTH support help because we were outnumbered many a day....... Lets just be glad EJ finally looks like he "sees" what he has in BTH and appreciates it now. Go Wizards.........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 18, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The simple truth of the matter is that we have no idea what Haywood's teammates thought of him, because they remained pretty much silent on the subject when his conflicts with Etan and Jordan boiled over into the media. The kept their mouths shut and didn't take sides, as they should have.

The one time some of them did speak up was after the game where Ivan reported that Haywood was celebrating the team's losing from the bench because he was pissed off that Eddie pulled him. A couple of teammates took shots at him then (albeit anonymously).

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I liked your story on how the coaches got the young guys Ivan.

Keep'em coming. :)

- Ray

Vote for all the Wizards for the NBA 2008 allstar game here:

Posted by: Ray | December 18, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"Really. What does "sashay" mean? In this context?

Posted by: Ivan | December 17, 2007 10:01 PM

"

C'mon Ivan, you can't be that gullible. There's a hurt person here b/c I've been hammering Gilby like he's a red headed step child. Gilby of course, is the Les BouleS diva.

Apparently this anonymous person likes to use my blog name to write stuff, but that's fine.

In any regard, this team is doing fine and well without Gilby. Gilby can tear the other knee and this team would not skip a beat.

You just have to hope that his kids don't feel like bastard children since Gilby kicked their momma out of their house. I wonder if they know who their grandma is.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Is Laron Profit available?

Posted by: maybe exree hipp too | December 18, 2007 08:30 AM

Maybe, he's not on any NBA team now. He played summer league for the Detroit Pistons. Prior to that he was cut from the Memphis Grizzlies in the 2006-2007 season, and had playing stints in Europe after getting cut from the Lakers (after an injury).

Posted by: rgz | December 18, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Exree Hipp tour with the Globe Trotters? Haven't heard that name in a number of years.

It's interesting that Brendan Haywood is playing the best basketball of his career and he's being handed left handed compliments by some. He really is putting up near Allstar numbers these days.

Not really interested in getting another one of those "which came first the chicken or the egg debates" with Brendan and his playing time. We should just be happy that we're getting the best center play since Big Gheorge's last healthy year. Yeah, that's been awhile.

I know that Grunfeld really likes Pecherov, I'd agree that watching him play in Summer League he seemed to be solid fundamently and did scrap and bang under the boards. Kid's got to finish growing into that body and develop upper body strength to go with a real strong base.

And he's about as shy as Young when it comes to luanching his shot. I know that the coaches were all raving about his work ethic this summer, and everybody was talking about his basketball IQ, so he may surprise with how quickly he picks up on things when he gets back.

Damn hairline fractures can really be funny about how long they take to heal. Has he been doing pool work or other conditioning such as upper body work to keep himself in shape?

Chances of everybody staying healthy all season on the frontline are probably slim, so he'll end up being needed before it's all said and done.

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE IGNORE DC MAN88. DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM OR ACKNOWLEDGE HIM. HE IS RUDE, VULGAR, AND HIS POSTS ARE INAPPROPRIATE TO THIS FORUM.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Can someone nominate Gilby as husband and father of the year?

Yeah, in the bizzaro world!

-------------------------------------------

"You know what? When stuff goes bad it goes bad. I just broke up with my girlfriend and I don't get to see my kids for a while because of the breakup.

That happened right before those two games last week. I was so happy, went out and performed well with 30 and 11 and came back the next night with 28 and I was thinking, "Oh yeah, it was her that was bringing my spirits down..."

Now she's back in California. You ask for space, you know, because everything feels closed in ... the house is dirty, the kids are drawing on the walls and on the couches and you're thinking, "Oh man, I can't do this. I'm not playing well and I'm coming home to all this."

So you ask for space and now you got clean walls, clean furniture and you're lonely.

And now you got to sit out three months. Oh man. I guess it has to get bad so it can get good. "

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I really couldn't care less about Gilbert's mom or baby's mom.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This is a kind of interesting article from the Chicago tribune.

Look for a highly motivated Chicago team tomorrow night. Gil has probably pissed off a few folks there.

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

This Chicago game is going to be a tough one tonight. Chicago seems like they have had our number the past couple of games. This is another "monkey off of the back" EJ has to take care of.

The other monkey's were winning in Dallas, beating the Nets period at home/away, beating Miami in Miami and now beating the Bulls. The last hurdle to jump will be beating Bryon Scott and the Hornets.

Chicago gives us problems because they play in your chest defense and Ben Gordon and Kirk H. always have their stroke going when we play them. Let's hope they are off tonight.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 18, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I always thought we played Chicago pretty straight up. Seem like we usually split with them, unless we have injuries.

I think there is enough finger-pointing going on with Chicago right now that the Wizards could actually get a win.

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago game is tomorrow night.

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Bullets Fever#1. We've been asking for more BTH since last year. It's funny how people seem to think he changed somehow...AFTER his contract year. Same guy, more minutes.
As far as Pech goes, you an never have too many big guys that can shoot threes and rebound. He's weak and gets pushed around but his long frame will get rebounds for us like Blatche's does. The dude is 18 inches wide but 7 ft tall. He has a frame like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

Posted by: mark | December 18, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Chicago gives us problems because they play in your chest defense...

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 18, 2007 02:32 PM

Not just "in your chest" defense, but lots of slapping, bumping, and physical play. Since they are known as a "physical" defensive team, they seem to get away with it - - -

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow Sam Smith was really mad when he wrote that huh? Its a shame that a grown man can get mad over the blog postings of a 25 year old. I mean you grown dogs, now you mad?

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | December 18, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago game is tomorrow night.

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 02:40 PM

my fault, i thought the game was tonight. thanks....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 18, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Mark ... you don't think Brendan has more moves around the basket this year? He also seems to be better able to hold on to passes this year ( or is it that with Gil out he's getting easier passes? Naw, that can't be it because Gil never passed it to him).

He has improved. Hell, his attitude has imporved. This is a different Brendan.

Ok, that being said, I really don't feel up to the which came first argument, the chicken or the egg, so that's all I'm gonna say about it. But yeah, BTH is ballin' this year.

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

When the wiz face the bulls on wednesday night, it will be the 2nd game of a back to back for the bulls. They play the lakers tonight.

Maybe thats another good omen for the wiz. I remember going over last year's schedule and wondering why the wiz seem to always get the better teams when they (the wiz) were on the back end of back to backs.

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz have been fortunate to catch a couple of teams on the second night of a back to back.

That's where the short bench is going to work on the Wiz come Jan. and Feb. those back to backs with travel become brutal.

It will be an interesting thing to see Chicago and their defensive style against the Wiz, in the past teams have always have had luck brawling with the Wizards.

The Nets always loved to turn on a spurt with their bully ball style and the Heat always had the Wiz's number, they could push and shove their way to a comeback or a blowout almost at will.

But the Wiz just went on the road and went toe to toe with both of those teams when they tried to turn the game rough and pulled away from them both. It will be interesting to see how the Wiz respond to the Bulls because you know they love to play rough and tumble, tug on your shorts basketball.

If the Wizards can continue to win against teams that play that style of ball they might be on their way to erasing their rep as a soft finesse team. Time will tell, but these guys are really pounding the boards right now.

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"He has improved. Hell, his attitude has imporved. This is a different Brendan."

Exactly. That's the primary (and really, quite obvious) difference. he's playing with a focus and commitment that he just hasn't had before. Which makes the fact that he spent all those years half-assing it an even bigger waste.

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

sorry mark i have to disagree...

o-pech is young, but if you look at his frame he has a larger bone structure by far than AJ and AB, hard to compare him to BTH, but he is definitely not scrawny... He just is a bit slouchy. As he gets some muscle I think he will be able to hold his own in the paint.

Take a look at his legs.
-g

Posted by: greg | December 18, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Good point GM, you can say what you want about Gil, but he only plays one position. I think this team is going to really put the hurt on when everyone is healthy... playoffs should be interesting.

Posted by: greg | December 18, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Mark, If you'd give that Shaggy a white man's Fro, I swear to God it's Phil Jackson from his Knick days!

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Greg, when you consider how young he is, he could end up being a pretty rugged guy when he matures. I've heard Grunfeld project him as a center in interviews.
Not many 19-20 yr olds that don't need to hit the weights to put on upper body strength.

I'd agree if the Wiz could get all hands on deck and healthy by playoff time this could be an interesting team that Ernie put together.

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Now somebody's going to have to explain how Arenas caused them to be soft inside and unable to secure rebounds in the past.

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 03:30 PM "

Easy. When you have BTH or whomever inside having to constantly rotate over to help out Gilby b/c he's a defensive liability, then that leaves the middle wide open.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Now the Gilby lovers here will call CBut a hater!

Great article by Sam Smith. I've been saying what Caron just said all along!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"I really couldn't care less about Gilbert's mom or baby's mom.

Posted by: | December 18, 2007 02:22 PM

"

Apparently, neither does Gilby.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

SWADAGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Is ButtBoy the only one that uses the CBut nickname?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

What's Caron saying besides "we've all stepped up as a team". As the leader of the team and Co-Captain I wouldn't have expected him to do anything other then spread the credit to his teammates.

It's you and the Chicago Bulls beat writer trying to twist it into something more.

My guess is that the team is spending alot more time working on rebounding drills then in the past. Guys seem much more aware of positioning and I've seen quite a tips to other players for the rebound.

Guys are going to have to step out and switch all the time, in the Wiz's case it was the lack of weakside help coming that caused alot of positioning problems in the past.

But if you need to blame rebounding all on Gil go right ahead, that's always easy for you to do. But wasn't he one of the leading rebounding point gaurds?

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Apparently, neither does Gilby.

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

SWADAGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!"
Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 04:06 PM

Calm down friend, no need to get angry. I was simply saying that I am more interested in the guys that are actually playing, rather than Gilbert's family members. Continue your Gilbert bashing sir.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

ButtBoy!!! Now that's kind of catchy...

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I am very dissapointed that most bloggers have failed my directive. Reading is fundamental...

Posted by: Chode | December 18, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not too sure we should take that Sam Smith seriously until we can find out if he talks to his mother or not.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GM | December 18, 2007 03:30 PM

Gil and Jamison ARE more 'finesse' players, and they were setting the tone for the team. Caron complained about it from day one - that's where the whole "tuff juice" thing emanated. Now that Caron is setting the tone, it's all about the tuff juice. No mystery there.

Posted by: reispace | December 18, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

From Ivan's story today:

"At the end of the hour-and-a-half long workout, Jordan chose five players and had them defend assistant coaches Mike O'Koren, Phil Hubbard, Randy Ayers, Dave Hopla and Wes Unseld Jr. for two possessions. On the second possession, O'Koren, who last played in the NBA in 1987, drove and passed out to an open Hubbard, who last played in 1989, and Hubbard made a long jump shot over the outstretched arm of Brendan Haywood. O'Koren and Hubbard celebrated with a high-five as a laughing Jordan whistled an end to practice."

Um, haven't many of us been screaming about how the Wizards' defensive scheme the last couple of years is such that it is routinely killed by drive and kick teams??!! And now we know that a bunch of old men can drive and kick on them too? And Jordan laughs? Are there any high school teams in the area that the Wizards can stop with that scheme? Middle school?

Posted by: Joe | December 18, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up Joe. I doubt anyone took those two series serious. Especially with the 5 wiz that were on the court.

Posted by: 2cents | December 18, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

That said, this is probably a lost year for him.

Posted by: kalorama | December 18, 2007 11:27 AM
I think Pesh can salvage the last quarter of the schedule. And if a big or CB goes down I bet you will see him more than a bit--I believe he will provide good production in limited minutes.

Posted by: Skeef | December 18, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"Caron Butler's recent comments were intriguing: "You look across the board, everybody has gotten better since Gilbert went down."" Now the Gilby lovers here will call CBut a hater!

Great article by Sam Smith. I've been saying what Caron just said all along!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 18, 2007 04:05 PM

Posted by: Dave | December 18, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

sorry mark i have to disagree...

Take a look at his legs.
-g

---
He has a small upperbody that may not be able to hold any wieght. However, he has substantial lower body--calfs and thighs.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

DCMAN88

Sounds like sympathy based on experience?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 18, 2007 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The Bulls have put it to us in in 06 and 07 because the Wizards didn't move the ball around like it should and make them work to get stops. Often times there were too many one pass and shoot in the frontcourt possessions. And of course because of poor defense the Wizards never made the offensively challenge Bulls work hard on the offensive end and when they did get a stop, the Wizards would usually give up the offensive board.
This year has seen a marked improvement in all three phases while the Bulls haven't hit their stride yet it seems (they lost 103-91 to the Lakers tonight, allowing six (!) players in dbl figures).
And's that's why the Wizards will win tomorrow night by double digits.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 18, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I remember Stan Smith...a homer and a muckraker. Typical of many midwest sportswriters. Pathetic attempt to motivate his team and cause dissention on the competitor's team. Could he be anymore transparent? And from the sound of things, I should be selling FL swampland on this blog train too.

Posted by: oddjob | December 18, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice mention of Caron at FanNation:

"You have to start considering Wizards forward Caron Butler a legitimate candidate for the NBA's MVP award. Butler has been a force in Washington, averaging 22.1 points and 6.9 rebounds while propelling the Gilbert Arenas-less Wizards to fourth place in the Eastern Conference through Monday. You can read more about Butler and the Wizards in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated."

Posted by: farstriker | December 19, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely true. Pech is solid in the lower body. It's just his upper frame that's really kinda schlumpy.
Just read Ivan's article about BTH this morning and it's good to see him finally say what keithinator, Bullets Fever#1 and I have been saying. He's the same guy. He's just producing because he's getting more minutes.

Posted by: mark | December 19, 2007 7:41 AM | Report abuse

The Bulls will no doubt enter the Phone Booth in a sour mood tonight... Just beaten soundly by Kobe and the Lakers in the House that Jordan Built... Twitted by Gilbert on their poor salary negotiating skills... And no doubt being nagged to damn death by Scott Skiles every moment that they are not asleep or brushing their teeth.

The Wizards, on the other hand, must not let their recent upbeat mood turn into laxness. Stevenson and Butler need to deny Hinrich and Deng their favorite spots from the get-go and Nick Young must use his height advantage over Ben Gordon to post him down relatively low before going outside for the 3s.

This should be one of the better games of the season from the Fan's point of view, and in the end I believe the Wiz will prevail.

PS if we get sufficiently ahead, we may see a bit of Mr Wilks when Duhon is in the game for Chicago.

Posted by: khrabb | December 19, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Just read Ivan's article about BTH this morning and it's good to see him finally say what 2centsWiz and I have been saying. He had a bad attitude previously and let it affect the quality of his play.

Posted by: kalorama | December 19, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"No u have not. There is quite a difference between what you have been saying and CB's quote. Now stand on your feet/own words (if you got any) and do not try to pull CB into your depressed world. You can find a way out by sharing your stories of love and loss with regards to Mr. Arenas (or BigBoy as you have noted in past emails.). Remember, we are here to help you.

Posted by: Dave | December 18, 2007 09:42 PM "

Yes, I'm right again. Thank you.

CBut and all the players on this team are better without Gilby. Gilby, see your market value diminish!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 19, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse