Evening update

Good news about Darius Songaila, who appeared to tweak that ankle when he made a layup in the fourth quarter last night, came down funny and caught his foot on the basket support: he's good to go for tomorrow night. That was a big bucket by the way. He stole it from wade, kind of ugly-dribbled the other way and flipped in a Jamison-like shot over Wade, who grabbed the rim on his way down. Put the Wiz up nine.

Anyway, I got back not long ago from Miami and wanted to tell you about a conversation I had at the airport with a hard-core Miami sports fan (I didn't bring up the Dolphins until the very end of the conversation just in case he was crazy - I can't get taken out by some crazy Dolphin fan. Have a game to cover). He was not happy with his team. I heard the following sentence, in some variation, at least 25 times in a 40 minute discussion: "We have not one &%$#@ shooter! Not one guy who can make an open three to spread the floor for D-Wade and help Shaq! I mean, Luke Jackson. What is that? Dude was in the D-League last week and now he's getting crunch time minutes against a team we've owned? - Shake of the head - "We're in trouble."

It was odd for me to hear that team booed on its home court. The only time I've been in that arena was when they either beat the Wizards or were in the NBA Finals. Very strange experience. For me, it would be like going into Lambeau and hearing those fans boo the Packers. (That could happen by the way if a little team that wears purple gets in, wins a wild card game and earns a date at the L for a second-round or NFC championship game. Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson......).

Just thought I'd share that story about Miami fan. Just another reminder that no matter how a given sports fan feels about his or her teams, someone's got it worse.

Sacramento is playing tonight at Philly and is still gunning for its first road win (0-9). That speaks to a fragile mentality. The kind of team that folds when things get tight and a flight to the next city is in the near future. No Mike Bibby and no Kevin Martin will do that to a team. I'm a huge Martin fan by the way. He's maybe the most unorthodox scorer not named Antawn Jamison in the league. OK, Juan Carlos has some of that as well. This is one the Wiz should get if they play like they have been lately.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 14, 2007; 5:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Step in the arena
Next: Daniels out 2-4 weeks

Comments

Sac will be in the second night of a back-to-back? As long as the Wiz play like they did last night, I feel pretty good about their chances.

But Martin is someone to watch. Didn't he go for something like 42 last year in their game at Arco Arena? (That was on the absolutely sick west coast trip where the Wiz lost to Denver but bounced back to beat Sacramento, GS and Phoenix, and where Gil and Caron just started ballin' like crazy.)

Posted by: iceberg | December 14, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Best thing that could've happened to the Wizards was Sacramento winning tonight. That ensure that the Wizards won't overlook them tonight. And it would be pretty amazing for Sacramento to go 0-9 on the road and then win two straight on the road back-to-back.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 14, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Do you Gilby will notice me if I sashay around and smile at him at the games?

Sashay!

Posted by: DC Sashay88 | December 14, 2007 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for that perspective Ivan. I'm sure you think some of us are about to experience a coronary attack on this blog. The lack of civility in discourse, speaks to greater societal issues in our culture when we resort to the lowest common denominator (name calling and mischaracterizations) but I digress.

This medium is designed to be fun and it even has it's share of well thought out reasoning at times. Wiz Nation, let's keep it passionate but civil.

Ivan, appreciate all your diligence and update on the beat of our beloved Wiz Nation. This year, your covering something special.

Posted by: Janitor | December 14, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 blushes when he sees Gil at the games. He winks and smiles at Gil, but does Gil notice?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Brad Miller and Mikki Moore caught fire and dominated the 76ers for the Sac Kings. This prove a nice test for BH, as Miller is on the decline side of his career but can still play at an allstar level at times. But realistically the Wiz should be able to handle this team. Eddie has got to start getting AJ and CB's minutes down. Rest them earlier in the game and play them more late only if needed.

Posted by: oddjob | December 14, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok, did I loose my mind or did I just read that Daniels has a strained MCL and will be out 2 to 4 weeks. R Mason may start. I am going back to bed, it must be a nightmare! Or somebody may rise to the occasion.

Posted by: Skeef | December 15, 2007 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Where did you read this? If true, we're in trouble. This proves we should have signed another point guard.

Posted by: Skeef | December 15, 2007 01:28 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skeef | December 15, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

I think there are multiple reasons why Les BouleS are better on D.

* Gilby's gone and AD is a better defender and doesn't focus only on his offensive game like Gilby.

* Les BouleS hired Ayers. They now realize that in order to beat other teams, they must stop them from scoring, not just outscore them.

* Team looks inspired because many of the players are playing a bigger role on the offensive end, which directly translates to them wanting to play D also. They are taking ownership of the added responsibility of picking up the slack left by Gilby.

* This is a huge point that no one has mentioned yet: THE TEAM WANTS TO PROVE THAT THEY CAN HAVE SUCCESS WITHOUT GILBY. THESE ARE PLAYERS WITH A CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER, AND CONFIDENCE IN THEIR ABILITIES. THEY DON'T WANT TO USE THE GILBY CRUTCH AND COAST THE SEASON.

Hurray to all the healthy guys on this team who are making DC proud!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 15, 2007 2:00 AM | Report abuse

We need to sign a point guard. Jared Jordan, Brian Chase, etc.

What is the specific date when we can start signing players to 10 day contracts? We could do that and stay under the cap, but I think it's some time in January. That may be three or four weeks from now. Wow.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 2:00 AM | Report abuse

Go away DC fairy.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Who would have thunk it? Many on this blog poo poo'd them early in the season, but they're showing everyone they are contenders, not pretenders.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 15, 2007 2:02 AM | Report abuse

DC lady00,

You are too funny! Your thinly disguised efforts to put down, once again, Gilbert Arenas is just so funny and pathetic. I really want to know, what did he do to you to deserve your scorn. I know a woman who has been turned down is, well; let's just say I will take the CIA's waterboarding over a jilted lover. Tell us about, it, you may feel better afterwards. I know it is helpful when I talk about my problems/hurt feelings.

Posters, let's this girl, this might be serious.

Posted by: Skeef | December 15, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

The last sentence is missing the word "support."

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Ok, here is what I think the Wiz should do assuming they are not getting another player soon.

Start Dom. McGuire and play CB at the two. DS would be your starting point guard for better or for worse.

Roger Mason would be the backup point with NY at the backup 2. The other choice is to start Roger and have Stevenson back him up. You would still start CB at the two and Dom McGuire. This is fun as well as journey of discovery and selfconfidence building for this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 2:29 AM | Report abuse

Skeezy,

I'm blasting Gilby b/c your mom told me that he treated her like Ike treated Tina.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 15, 2007 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't the Post ban him/it here?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 15, 2007 3:54 AM | Report abuse

"Clewiston 88 (DC Man88) got banned on the ESPN board today, so now he's going to be here spewing his jilted hate for Gil.

Why doesn't the Post ban him/it here?

Posted by: | December 15, 2007 03:54 AM "

Duh, I'm not clewiston. If I was clewiston, I would admit to it. I'm not shy like your mom.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 15, 2007 4:08 AM | Report abuse

No Daniels for 2-4 weeks! We'll be lucky to go .500 in Dec now. Tremendous lost opportunity. It's starting to look like one of those jinxed seasons (just like last season). Say what? Oh, yeah...

Curse Of Les Boulez....

Posted by: reispace | December 15, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

It's groundhog day for Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 16, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse