Hot Suns next

I love the way my colleague, Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic, began his game story from last night's Phoenix at Toronto game: "The last time that Suns point guard Steve Nash created offense like this, it began a run in which they won 27 of 29 games."

It was a perfect way to summarize a 136-123 victory and a three-game win streak that has seen the Suns put up 110 in a over Orlando, 115 in a win at New York and 121in a win at Indiana. Nash had 18 dimes Wednesday night and has 64 assists and only nine turnovers in the last four games. Leandro Barbosa scored 35 in the win over the Raptors who got drilled despite shooting 55.4 percent and making 10 three-pointers.

Said Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni: "We're looking pretty good. That's 136 points pretty easy."

The Wizards are coming off back-to-back wins of their own, are 9-4 since an 0-5 start and improved to 6-4 since Gilbert Arenas last played so they are no chumps but it's going to have to be all hands on deck tomorrow night against the Suns.

Eddie Jordan on getting ready for the Suns: "It starts with Steve no doubt about it. It starts with Nash and that's what we're going to have to make a decison on. How to defend him."

I then mentioned that Barbosa dropped 35 last night. Eddie, looking like he'd just eaten something bitter: "I know. We didn't forget about him. It's seven guys. (Off the bench) it's Boris (Diaw) and Barbosa and that's about it. They go with seven and they can all play."

I wrote a story for tomorrow's paper on talented Wiz rookie Nick Young, who is really coming along. He had 14 points on five-of-seven shooting in the win over Cleveland Wednesday night and is putting up 10 per in the last 10 games on 50 percent shooting, hasn't been turning the ball over and is getting better defensively.

Right now, he ranks 8th among rookies in scoring but he's averaging far fewer minutes than the guys ahead of him (Kevin Durant, Juan Carlos Navarro, Daquaen Cook, Jeff Green, Yi, Al Horford and Jamario Moon - where the heck did he come from?).

The Wiz will need Nick to be on his game against the Suns and hey, it's his kind of style.

By Ivan Carter |  December 6, 2007; 2:14 PM ET
Previous: LeBron officially out | Next: Mavericks Need To Get Kidd

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 2:41 PM

For the record: I have nothing personal against EJ. I just think it's sometimes good to try to head off problems proactively rather than wait for them to bite you in the azz. Im not even complaining about BTH's lack of minutes last night. I just want to know what the criteria is. We won. Great. How do we explain the game that we lost to the Spurs last week? BTH was 8-12 from the field and Duncan was helpless against him yet BTH only played 29 minutes and finished with only 3 fouls. Again, I'm not railing against EJ. I just want to try to figure out what his thinking is in regard to people's minutes. This forum is built on ppl like us with no pro expertise second-guessing coaches and players. No need to take offense when we do it. It's just a question. If you have an answer, please enlighten me and I'll stop asking.
Q: What criteria is used to determine minutes from game to game?

It seems random to me.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 2:53 PM

Hollinger has us at a near lock for making the playoffs. Didn't he originally project

Posted by: amalg | December 6, 2007 3:04 PM

"How do we explain the game that we lost to the Spurs last week?"

Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the Spurs are a much better team than the Wizards.

"Duncan was helpless against him..."

Exactly what shade of rose are your glasses colored?

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 3:13 PM

"How do we explain the game that we lost to the Spurs last week? BTH was 8-12 from the field and Duncan was helpless against him yet BTH only played 29 minutes and finished with only 3 fouls."

Hmmm. I see your point, but I think we should keep in mind that for most teams not named the wizards 30 mins/game is about right for your starters. We just tend to over play our Big Three.

Posted by: Washington Ball | December 6, 2007 3:15 PM

mark,

I do not know how many more QUALITY minutes you could get from Haywood since he already played 29 minutes. In hte previous years he had to split his time with Etan. They did not find out until the beginning of camp that Etan was out for the season. There is no way Brendan can get conditioned for 40 minutes per game in roughly a month. I think as the season goe along he may have to play more minutes depending on the matchup. I do not see his minutes going down when Pecherov comes back or when Eddie starts playing McGuire more. I think the most you would want to get out of him in a game would be 35 minutes right now. We are going to need his presence just as much in the second half of the season as now.

One quick question for Ivan and Michael: Do you think McGuire sees more time against the Suns? They are quick paced athletic team which seems like a good matchup to utilize McGuire.

Posted by: straub21 | December 6, 2007 3:16 PM

I think Nick is coming along, where is Mcquire? I only saw him in last minute of the game with that sweet assist to Brendan.

I hate to say this but No Arenas, No Win against the Suns. My man Daniels got smoke by Tony Parker and It's quite impossible to stop Nash... Maybe Mason can slow him down a bit (Deshawn got Grant Hill to take care of)

Posted by: fire starter | December 6, 2007 3:26 PM

"Maybe EJ knows that Brendan can't really handle going 40-45 mins and still bring it the next game? Most people can't, and he needs Brendan to bring it every game right now."
"There is no way Brendan can get conditioned for 40 minutes per game in roughly a month. "

Thanks, WashingtonBall and Straub21. These are the sorts of rational explanations I'm looking for. If this is the case, I'm all in.

"Well, it might have something to do with the fact that the Spurs are a much better team than the Wizards"

I was referring to the fact that BTH played only 29 minutes in the loss, not that we lost. I expect to lose to that team, actually.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:30 PM

That last post was me...

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 3:30 PM

We can afford this loss, though I hope we don't give up. I say we have 25 each for butler and jamison, 12 for nick young, Blatche get 15, Bwood has 8 and 10, AD has 10+ assists and the Wiz lose by four. Pessimism sucks...I hope I am dead worng about my last guess.

CB allstar

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | December 6, 2007 3:34 PM

Exactly...all hands need to be on-deck.

In concurrence with previous posters, part of Haywood's limited minutes is probably the result of the lack of big man depth. Haywood has never been the absolute starter before, nor has he ever had a year like this year.

So yea, it's probably good that EJ doesn't get all excited and trigger happy, giving the guy tons of run.

And yes, I'm sure that Eddie Jordan has not forgotten about Barbosa...almost good that he scored all those points against the Raptors, it'll drive home the point.

I'm more concerned about Leandro tearing the Wiz up on offense with his quickness, a la Tony Parker, than I am about Steve Nash.

Nash tears holes in an opposing team's D and creates for others...meaning, the Wiz need to "try" to contain him, but also, they can't gamble too much in the passing lanes because Steve Nash will make them pay more than anyone else in the league.

Heads need to be on a swivel tomorrow night. Talk on D, a lot. Run to cover the gaps.

And actually, the Wizards may need more minutes from BTH. Can you see anyone else hanging with Amare? Blatche will certainly try, so will D-Song, but both are a little undersized.

But most importantly, the Wizards DO NOT need to shoot themselves in the foot.

VALUE THE BALL & LIMIT UNFORCED TURNOVERS!!

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.Net | December 6, 2007 3:44 PM

Just a few observations:

The currrent starting five are complementary and more suited to defense than offense. That is, AD is a good assist man, but other than AJ and CB, there is not much firepower. DS and BH play some good D and the only real weak spot with this line-up on D is AJ, who is working harder at it this year.

On the other hand, bringing in Young and Blatche totally changes the complexion and pace of the game. The Wiz become almost imposssible to defend. They don't seem to give up much on D or defensive rebounding. The Wiz often catch teams off-guard with this line-up.

After that, the Wiz suffer. Song isn't much of a center, although he can probably sub for AJ for awhile at the 4.

There is no effective sub for CB. I think EJ needs to bite the bullet in the short-term and use McGuire until he improves, even if it costs 3 or 4 wins over the next couple of months.

Overall, rotations and player development seem to be the big issues for the Wiz again this year. Ivan, please keep asking EJ about these two issues throughout the season. Much appreciation.

Posted by: Izman | December 6, 2007 4:25 PM

Yea hopefully if we play an uptempo game we can use our bench well and keep guys fresh. Also, uptempo we might be seeing a few Nick Young slam dunk contest previews. Hopefully we come out with alot of intensity and can get a few stops.

Posted by: LooseCannon | December 6, 2007 4:27 PM

Q: What criteria is used to determine minutes from game to game?

It seems random to me.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 02:53 PM

--Your criticisms are legitimate even if I do not agree, it is the way in which some of the comments are stated that opens you guys up for valid criticism regarding having a personal issues. But hey, it is a blog and this is what happens...

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:17 PM

Hollinger has us at a near lock for making the playoffs.

Posted by: amalg | December 6, 2007 03:04 PM

Isn't Hollinger the same guy that said the Wizards would finish with less than 33 wins.... and then amended that to 27 wins later?

Now he's saying that they're a virtual lock, at 98.6% odds, that they will make the playoffs with 44 wins (5th in the East)?

How do I get a gig like that,..... where I can get paid so much to be so wrong? ..... and then change my mind later and act like I never said anything different?

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 5:17 PM

I'm on board with Izman re Dmac play time, let's see what we've got, the pre season indications were an a raw exciting defensive player with some offensive punch. Only one way to refine raw and that is game time.
To avoid teams loading up D on CB and AJ Wiz need to find some tertiary scoring punch. There are indications a revitalized BH and the youngsters Blatche and Young may be able to provide this, if the Wiz are to make the playoffs and move any deeper than first round elimination EJ needs all hands on deck.

Posted by: myshkin | December 6, 2007 5:19 PM

"Q: What criteria is used to determine minutes from game to game?"

A: Whatever criteria the coach decides to use.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 5:36 PM

Rook, There's an old joke about being a weatherman. "What other occupation is there where you can be paid to be so wrong and not need a Medical Degree?"

The line could also work for being an ESPN expert. We run a weekly NFL college pool at work. Just for fun my son projects the ESPN guys against our standings based on the selected games they pick.

My wife's mother 78 yr old mother beats the pants off those guys and she NEVER watches a game. And they want us to pay to be an Insider...

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 5:59 PM

Your cynicism is killing me. Maybe the Wizards should just call in with a collective migraine and take the night off.

Has this team been mailing it in? Do we lack the talent to compete against quality opponents? uh...no. Kicked the hell out of Dallas, played well against SA, stomping small people with a couple of exceptions.

I like this match up for us and, unlike the board, believe the Wizards will be keyed up to play and bring it.

Haywood's size should present some challenges for Amare...not neutralize.

Nobody, not Iverson, not Parker, nor Antonio Daniels will be able to contain Steve Nash. So please don't start in after the game with, "small guards eat us up" as if someone else is capable of stopping this guy. All star guards eat everyone and Nash is the glutton at the table.

Marion and Butler should nullify each other. Neither Grant nor Diaw can handle Jamison on the blocks and I expect him to be the difference maker for us.

I would also say I like our depth since they only go seven deep but frankly their conditioning is so good it simply does not matter. Regardless, I will be the one board member to say the Wizards will win this game. Yeah, I know...somebody pass the kool aid.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 6:08 PM

I think the Wiz have a chance to win this game, but it'll essentially require them to play mistake free basketball. They esp. need to not turn it over, which they've had problems with at times this season. It'll be tough and the margin for error is slim, but it's not out of reach.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 6:13 PM

By the way, GM... In preseason, I said the Wizards would end up with 49 wins.....And although, that was BEFORE Thomas was diagnosed, and BEFORE Arenas was hurt the second time... I was STUNNED when Hollinger said 33 wins, last in the Division, with fewer wins than the Knicks, Atlanta and Indiana.

Now, they may not make it to 49 (although I think they still have a good chance), but I think they've proven that the team is a lot better than 33 wins.... and that Hollinger is a fool.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 6:15 PM

Agreed Kalorama, must be virtually mistake free, not settle for jumpers and crash boards like crazy men.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 6:18 PM

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 06:08 PM

Hey Strangelove - any room out there on the limb? Wiz by 3.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 6:20 PM

Rook,
Adjusting grip to slide over now...welcome and enjoy the view.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 6:23 PM

Particularly the offensive boards, Strangelove. If the Wiz take and miss long jumpers that turn into long rebounds that the Suns secure, they'll basically just be setting the table for Phoenix's fast break.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 6:24 PM

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 05:59 PM

It's not just ESPN. How about Marty Burns (SI) suggesting a couple of weeks ago that Ernie needs to 'overhaul' the Wiz?

Posted by: reispace | December 6, 2007 6:37 PM

reispace - Did Burns suggests that we scrap our team this year, trade half our best players and 50 points per game for an over the hill point guard?

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 6:53 PM

Just trying to determine if Burns posts on this board under a certain notorious alias.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 6:58 PM

The reason the Nets have been any good at all the past few years is Kidd. But the reason Kidd's been able to make them any good is because he had two all-Star caliber guys capable of putting up 20-30 every night who were ready and willing to be led by him. Make that insane deal DCMann is frothing about and who would Kidd have? Butler, a couple of still emerging kid's who are years away from consistent impact, and some career role players. Not even Kidd could carry that load very far.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 7:00 PM

Yeah, I put the link up for the irony. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Posted by: amalg | December 6, 2007 7:10 PM

Make room on that limb - we have a squad of athletes who can score with the best of 'em. Wiz take it in OT

Posted by: ATLwizFAN | December 6, 2007 7:13 PM

From Burns' Nov 27 Mailbag:

Can the Wizards still make the playoffs now that Gilbert Arenas is going to miss the next three months because of knee surgery?
-- Marc G., Bethesda, Md.

The Wizards are toast. Unless GM Ernie Grunfeld pulls off some kind of major trade, I don't see Washington making the playoffs this season. Antonio Daniels is a competent point guard, but he's no Agent Zero. Plus, his move to the starting lineup leaves the bench too depleted. The real interesting thing will be to see whether Grunfeld decides to blow it up completely. Keep in mind, Antawn Jamison is a free agent after the season. Arenas had indicated he would opt out of his contract after the season to become a free agent as well. It might be time for the Wizards to make a major overhaul.

Overhaul *THIS*, Marty...

Posted by: reispace | December 6, 2007 7:28 PM

Amare Stoudemire is at the Skins/Bears game....

Posted by: Lisa | December 6, 2007 7:32 PM

A: Whatever criteria the coach decides to use.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 7:52 PM

Just to refresh everyone's memory, here is Hollinger's prediction for the Wizards earlier this year.

"13. (in the East) Washington Wizards 33-49 5th (Last) in Southeast. I see Washington in decline for at least a year or two until the youngsters are ready to step up"

Now he's saying 5th in the East, and 44 wins?

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 8:47 PM

"Amare Stoudemire is at the Skins/Bears game....

Posted by: Lisa | December 6, 2007 07:32 PM "

Who cares?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 8:48 PM

"At the risk of giving DCMan any encouragement, I will say that Kidd is far from over the hill. He's still one of the best in the league at running a team and making his teammates better. But in order for that to matter, he needs teammates who are any good to start with.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 07:00 PM "

JKidd makes the game so easy for his teammates that you'd have to be a 6foot something Helen Keller in order to not do well.

Given that, having CBut on the team who brings it on both ends of the court would be a perfect complement to the unselfish JKidd. JKidd would also be great with DSong who did a heckuva job during the offseason on his euro team (playing with Sarunas J.) where they ran an unselfish offense.

JKidd would also do great with AB, who's a great passer and has great instincts in his own right. JKidd's ability to penetrate and dish would also help BTH who's really relying on hustle and scraps right now. Then, JKidd would take advantage of NY and DMac's ability to play above the rim.

Finally, JKidd thrived with the Princeton offense when EJ was up in NJ. Gilby is still stuck on the first page of EJ's 10 page playbook. Anyone who doesn't think JKidd can help this team after a trade has blinders on.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 8:58 PM

DC Man88,
I would love it for this year and possibly next year but Kidd is what 34 or 35? I don't see how he could possibly continue to be so effective beyond that. Gil is still very young and it just does not seem we would be getting equal value long term. I still start twitching anytime someone brings up the Webber for Mitch Richmond trade. If Kidd was 29 I would do it.

Also, Kidd knows the clock is ticking for him which is why he is courting Cleveland.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 9:23 PM

"

DC Man88,

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 09:23 PM "

Even as JKidd gets older, I don't his passing ability and court awareness will suddenly deteriorate. Guards that have this type of leadership, passing ability, and knowledge of the game always have value. Case in point Sam Cassell.

JKidd will be playing the motion offense here. JKidd's job isn't going to require extreme quickness to break his man down. Ask yourself, what has Gilby done here to make him untouchable? What kind of playoff success are we talking about? How many shoot first point guards who are the top players on their teams have won championships?

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 9:36 PM

Sure glad 88 doesnt work for the front office.

We're only 18 games into the season and if it were up to DC our beloved Wiz team would consist of Sun Ming Ming, Jerry Mcnamara, Kidd, Josh Boone, Magloire....

Posted by: McGuyver | December 6, 2007 9:46 PM

"Sure glad 88 doesnt work for the front office.

Posted by: McGuyver | December 6, 2007 09:46 PM "

I'm sure glad you're not the gm of this team b/c then you'd be satisfied with the one and done playoffs every season while focusing on having stupid events like singles night to draw fans in. Whooppeee!

PS. Sung Ming Ming and JMac on this team wouldn't have resulted in any of the current players being put out on the street.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 9:56 PM

I cant wait til a month or two from now when the next couple of rumors appear then you'll post some other blockbuster trade.

Posted by: McGuyver | December 6, 2007 10:24 PM

"Ask yourself, what has Gilby done here to make him untouchable? "

Would anyone even be on this blog if Gilbert hadn't been on the team these past few years?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:30 PM

"So what exactly is your answer for building a championship team? Letting go of two all-stars in Gil and Jamison for a very talented, but on the wrong side of 30, player in Kidd? Despite what you may think personally of Gil he truly does have the potential to great. I'd rather hold on to Gil and try to develop his passing game and maturity than trade for the savvy vet who can realistically only give 2-3 more years at best. The Wizards dont have a championship caliber team yet but its foolish to think that Kidd would have any better luck getting a ring with Butler and bunch of kids."

Check the results since Gilby's been out, and the team is doing just fine. In fact, it's clear that many players on this team have elevated their games and have played more team offense, and defense, since Gilby's been gone. I think it'd be foolish not to consider JKidd.

"But lets go back to previous trades and acquisitions. If you want Kidd to run point how many minutes would Daniels play? And if you still want McNamara how would he fit in. Why dont you explain to me how you'll distribute all these minutes. Or are you just paying McNamara to sit on the bench. Magloire days have been up for awhile now so you cant honestly think he'll be effective at the 5 spot any more than Blatche or Haywood are now. Oh, and with the uptempo Princeton offense that Eddie runs I suppose you think Sun Ming Ming could keep up. So you already have a logjam at point... but you have Blatche, Opec, Boone, DMac, and Butler at the forward spots. Butler would need his PT so where's the minutes for the others."

In case you missed it, I suggested bringing in JMac when it was clear that AD was the only option at the 1. This was before JKidd became a trade option. If JKidd were here, AD would go back to the bench where he belongs, and JMac would not be needed. As it stands right now, AD is the only viable option at 1. Does that sit well with you?

What is the "uptempo Princeton Offense?" This is something new.

"And DC, I can't believe you think special events like "Singles Nights" equates the Wiz to being a lowly team. Most teams hold promotions to increase their fan base and PR. Hell, even the Spurs have Ladies Night and Jack In The Box Wednesdays.

Posted by: McGuyver | December 6, 2007 10:24 PM "

Why not put a good product on the court and the fans will come? Not have a team that doesn't have enough players to even practice, or does a one and done disappearing act/monumental collapse every post season.

And, don't compare Les BouleS to the Spurs unless Les BouleS wins a couple of more championships.

I'm not surprised you can't wait until a couple of more months because you're the status quo/hold the fort/one and done type of fan. EG, as the GM, has to consider all options to improve this team. That's is being done here, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 10:38 PM

""Ask yourself, what has Gilby done here to make him untouchable? "

Posted by: | December 6, 2007 10:30 PM "

Is this the Gilby blog or the Wizards blog? Gilby's been gone for almost 1 month now. We're still here. Last I checked, people have been talking about CBut, NY, and BTH.

I hope people writing on this blog isn't the only reason you can come up with as to why Gilby is untouchable in your mind.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 10:41 PM

All,
Ivan has posted a nice article on Nick Young but the treat is the video they have put up with it. Please take a minute to check it out, this kid kills me. We are very fortunate to get such a talented and balanced young man. Thank you EG!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 6, 2007 10:49 PM

Strangelove

If you liked that last video you should check out DMac and Nick's latest vlog:

They do impressions of some of the Wizards players. The Antonio Daniels one cracks me up everytime I watch it.

Its good to know that our rookies arent timid, even Pesh jokes around with the crew. I'm liking our teams chemistry this year.

Posted by: Drexler | December 6, 2007 11:00 PM

"Kalorama, I see you're intent on being a smarta**. Why do you even respond? Keep your 'witty' comments to yourself. Maybe you and 88'er can email each other with snarky comments. Remember, we may not have all of the answers but you sure as heck don't, either."

Sorry if we offended you (blank space). Have a tissue....

(See what I did there?)

Oh, and smartass or not, the fact remains that my response was both (A) true and (B) correct (while yours was just a waste of the time and electricity it took to type). The criteria by which playing time is doled out is whatever the coach decides it is.

No wonder you're ashamed to even use a fake name.

Posted by: kalorama | December 7, 2007 12:34 AM

"Remember, we may not have all of the answers but you sure as heck don't, either."

Don't need to have the answer to all of them. but I had the answer to that one.

Posted by: kalorama | December 7, 2007 12:36 AM

Why does every article on this post result in a trade Gilbert post. This post wasn't even about Gil who isn't playing by the way. Gil is only 25 and the comments are to trade him for Jason Kidd? I have not been to this post in a while because of the negativity, especially against Gil, EJ and Antawn. I agree with the other post before Gil and Antawn got here, there was nothing to cheer about. And what about Doug Collins when he coached the Wiz. I think the Wiz has a great squad and I have never seen a supposed fan blog so hard on their own players. I remember reading posts here earlier that thought Young Hollywood was a bad pick and that he would not contribute,etc,etc. Now look at Young. Gil is not going anywhere and neither is Jamsion. Wait and see.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2007 7:27 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2007 7:35 AM

The bottom line is the Wiz are winning when most on this post thought they needed to trade away the team and EJ to get it done. So why the negativity? I say go to game, root for the team and enjoy.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 7, 2007 7:57 AM

"Kal, you're a joke. You've almost descended to 88 status. Your responses are neither insightful nor wanted. If you and 88 would adhere to basic common blog courtesy, you wouldn't get the vitriol. We're all here because we are Wizards fans, not because we think we know more than anyone else. You and 88 are here to shoot down other people's suggestions or comments and disrespect folks' opinions. There's a proper way to disagree and it doesn't have to come with a 'know it all ' attitude. The truth is that you know no more than anyone else here. You're only a genius in your own mind. Well, maybe 88's mind, too. You all seems to be birds of the same feather.

Posted by: | December 7, 2007 07:35 AM "

Practice what you preach and stop shooting "down other people's suggestions or comments and disrespect folks' opinions."

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 7, 2007 8:43 AM

Unless Wizards improve their defense against the 3-ptrs, I am pessimistic about this game. I am not so much worry about Nash's penetration per se, it is the dish after the penetration I worry about.

This team has a tendency to be sucked in when a guard penetrated. This really bothers me. They have good shot-blockers (both Haywood and Blatche averaged 2 blocks a game). Let them worry about inside, guard the man in front of you and don't loose sight of them!

Posted by: Sagaliba | December 7, 2007 11:20 AM

If you liked that last video you should check out DMac and Nick's latest vlog:

Posted by: Drexler | December 6, 2007 11:00 PM

Thanks for the clip Drexler. Yea that was pretty funny. You have to like these guys confidence. I like the idea of the "F3". Lets hope Eddie is able to find a little more time for DMAC. The Wiz are looking real good to me right now. EG and Eddie deserve credit for the jobs they have done so far.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 7, 2007 11:55 AM

For the record: I have nothing personal against EJ. I just think it's sometimes good to try to head off problems proactively rather than wait for them to bite you in the azz. Again, I'm not railing against EJ. I just want to try to figure out what his thinking is in regard to people's minutes.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 02:53 PM

Mark I am the same way. If I see something that does not look right and I have the chance to squash it before it grows into something ugly, I do it. I understand everything you are trying to say.

I am not taking away the fact that the Wiz won the game. However, looking at BH not playing any in the 2nd quarter alerted me to a degree. I know there was a 19 point lead built when he was not in there, but the point I was trying to make was all of the starters got back in the game, with a 19 point lead, in the 2nd quarter except for BH.

BH was having a great 1st quarter and was in a very good groove. Sitting out the whole 2nd quarter then along with halftime you will tend to get "cold" and lose some of that groove you had. That is all I was trying to elude to.

Also, that 19 point lead 2nd quarter was the perfect time to let DMAC finish the whole 2nd quarter in AJ's or CB's place to save their bodies for another game.

Lastly,if you were BH in that situation, wouldn't you ask yourself why did everyone else from the starting team get back in except for me? Did I do something wrong, or maybe he does not trust me, or worse is the last year stuff starting to pop back up?

Once that way of thinking starts happening, then you have a player starting to play scared and unsure of himself. I would not want that type of player on my team. This same type of treatment was done to AB last year and now DMAC this year? EJ was doing NY like that too at the beginning of the year but it looks like he is lighting up on him a little bit.

Other than that complaint I have, EJ has been displaying better game management decisions along with creating vastly improved player rotations and combinations during the games.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 7, 2007 12:51 PM

Posted by: amalg
---------------------------------------------

Well, Wizards currently rank 5th in the East, that's exactly where Hollinger has us ranked via his magical stats! Coincident?

Posted by: Sagaliba | December 7, 2007 1:30 PM

And a lot of you are right on the money with the Suns game: turnovers (particularly those that are in play as opposed to those that stop play), and rebounding will be what decides this game. Defensively we may not be helpless, but Nash is a nightmare for this team and the way it plays defense (trying to trap and not rotating quick enough). To me if the Suns are held to 110 or below, then the Wizards can win.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 7, 2007 1:37 PM

Even ESPN dot com feels concerned about D. Stevenson...

Posted by: Fenty | December 7, 2007 3:34 PM

"You are correct DCMan, Kidd's passing skills won't deteriorate, but his knee will. That's a deal that won't work, esp. when you consider the Wizards' unfortunate history with injuries and dealing with them.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 7, 2007 01:37 PM "

George, we all know JKidd isn't going to play 5-10 more years in this league. Given that, if he comes here and can take Les BouleS deep into the playoffs and possibly into the championship game, then it'd be worth a 2-3 year run until his knee gives out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 7, 2007 3:44 PM

haha funny on espn and stevenson...but is it just me, or is it getting close to where the wiz should start Nick Young instead of D. Stevenson

Posted by: mikejc80 | December 7, 2007 6:50 PM

Yeah, I still say give me Gil, Antawn and Caron. These 3 have me watching the Wizards more than the Skins, coming from a big time Redskins fan.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 12, 2007 2:11 PM