It's been a long time since I left you....

For those of you with any knowledge of hip hop history, you can fill in the blank after the title to the this blog entry.

....I'm just shocked, shocked I say, that the Mitchell Report revealed that so many baseball players were taking performance enhancing drugs. In other breaking news, it's a good idea to stay home if Jamaal Tinsley asks you to join him for a night on the town.

Well, I'm here in sunny, warm Miami and man it's nice. Have a room overlooking the bay and spent the afternoon chilling on the balcony reading a book. Very nice. Things haven't been so nice for the Wizards here in the past. They've lost 10 straight down here and 15 of the last 16 to Miami overall. The last win here came on April 11, 2003. Miami's leading scorer that night? None other than Caron Butler, who had 19 points that night.

Miami Coach Pat Riley is obviously still looking for the right mix on his roster because he keeps makign moves. On Oct. 24, he sent Antoine Walker and a conditional first round pick to Minnesota for Ricky Davis and yesterday, the team released Penny Hardaway and signed Luke Jackson. I gues the hope is that Jackson will give them some outside shooting (Why was he in the D-League then?)

Riley may also be looking to move Smush Parker, who signed a two-year deal this summer but has been inactive to since an altercation with a valet parking attendent on Nov. 27. That was a bad signing at the time and looks even worse now.

The Heat has won two straight and D-Wade is coming along so this would be an impressive win for the Wiz and something of a statement. Why not keep the Heat down when you can?

By Ivan Carter  |  December 13, 2007; 6:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz update
Next: Step in the arena

Comments

It's likely that The Post only tolerates this mistitled "blog" concept because some mid-level manager of distinctly modest intelligence believed blogs might help to win back paying customers. If you guys were to play your cards even partly right, your primary benefit would continue to be seeing blog entries by beat writers that would previously have been and will likely return to being spiked stories. Your secondary benefits would be to read the sometimes insightful suggestions of your peers and, just occasionally, to engage in mildly interesting online conversations.

The same mid-level management perspective applies to oversight of blogs. If you count the number of Post blogs and the number of entries therein, you'll see just from the work of counting that overseeing all the blogs constitutes more than a full-time job at a time when new Post job billets are, we can assume, scarce. It seems clear, therefore, that until your most troublesome posters actually begin to violate the law, no Post action of any kind can be expected. If and when someone does start violating the law, I would expect the offending blogs, not the difficult posters, will disappear.

It's been months since I've participated here in any way. Since it's been an interesting season so far, I'm a bit sorry about that. Having some time back worked for a few years as a junior-high teacher, though, it seems unlikely to me that the blog can be reclaimed to the point where reasonable conversation can prevail. The obvious road back to sanity involves completely ignoring the most offensive participants, as I seem to recall one anonymous poster used routinely to advise, but clearly that won't happen.

I'll continue to read the blog headings as long as Carter and Lee or their successors continue to post here, and I'm sure that I'll still scan the blog entries on an occasional basis. Until the posts improve, though, I can get this general level of discussion from any group of bored, ill-raised, seventh-grade kids, and who needs that? I've seen occasional concerns here about "hate." I'm not sure hate has ever been the actual concern; respect, though, has.

Which I'm sure is a point easily overcome through use of an appropriately placed one-word response . . .

Any bwha's out there?

Posted by: Former Poster | December 13, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't insult 7th graders -- they don't deserve it.

Did anyone see this:

I guess Eddie didn't talk much about defense during timeouts last season. The disparity between the offense and defense numbers was incredible.

Posted by: Sean | December 13, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Like most statistics, once you look deeper into it, it begins to make sense. The Wizards are one of the worst defensive teams and one of the best offensive teams. So most of the time we are just trading buckets with the other team. It has nothing to do with timeouts.

This is an example of a misleading statistic (memo to John Hollinger).

Posted by: juandixonformvp | December 13, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Is "former poster" complaining about the typos in the blogs? I have noticed that too. But so what? These are supposed to be blogs i.e. informal. A way for the beat reporters to post late-breaking news, inside information where the source may not be as solid as what's needed for a print article and in the case of "soccer insider", a forum for fans to chat during matches etc.

Posted by: Bart | December 13, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

...without a strong rhyme to step to.

royalties please!

Posted by: Rakim | December 13, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

"It's been a long time since I left you...."

Without a dope beat to step to...

Try Again - Aaliyah.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 13, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Baseball players were taking performance enhancing drugs???
Who knew?
Why are they only concentrating on Baseball?
Don't tell me the NFL & NBA commishes ain't shaking in their boots.
It's gonna be an interesting next few months as this thing unfolds and spreads.
How does a highschool kid get to 6'5" 300 lbs.? That's not a rarity on most top HS teams.

The Wizzies are playing together better since GA went down. It happens to a lot of teams when their star gets hurt. I think they can win tonight if they control D Wade and continue to move the ball and get help off the bench.

Posted by: Hoopster | December 13, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

think of how many weak shows you slept through...

(p.s. never trust ohhla.com)

Posted by: Ledell eackles | December 13, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

sign and trade gilby!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

we are better without him. Caron is better!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

this is no Harvard blog ya'll....

Posted by: LOL | December 13, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Barkley said at half time he likes the Wiz in this game mainly because it is often hard to win the first game at home after a long road trip. You tend to relax, especially if it was successful.

He also said the Wiz have "a nice little team there."

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 10:00 PM | Report abuse

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

There goes someone's ludicrous theory that CB's biased against Les BouleS b/c of MJ. Darn senioritis.

BTW, not only did CBut increase his shooting range for this season, but he seems to have gotten a lot more athletic and quicker too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 13, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Former Poster is a curmudgeon. I bet he leads a real happy life.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

TNT just ran a highlight package featuring the Wizards defense.

No seriously, it actually happpened.

Posted by: Kev | December 13, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Shaq and Mourning had no answer for Brendan. Can you believe I just wrote that? And, so, where have all the JCN fans gone? Yeah, Ernie's a fool for keeping Stevenson...

Posted by: reispace | December 13, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Former poster, aka stick in the mud, give me a break. The blog postings from Ivan and Michael and the other beat writers who post in their own forums provide valuable information. And most of the discourse herein is civil and intelligent. What you wrote above barely makes any kind of coherent sense, as you don't make your point completely clear. Is it the blog you have a problem with? Is calling this a blog what you have a problem with? Are the people who post comments here what you have a problem with? Or is it the actual content in the blog with which you have a problem? Perhaps it's all of the above. But by all means, you should at least appreciate this for what it is, no matter what label you want to attach to it. It's a great resource, and while I don't begrudge you your chance to offer a criticism, if you don't care too much for it, that's fine. Simply leave the community. If criticizing what goes on here is what you'd rather do, that's fine, too. But just know we try to talk about basketball here, and I'm sure most people would prefer that everyone stayed on topic.

Tonight was a good win for this team. A psychological victory, of sorts. Glad DeShawn showed up in a big way tonight. His contributions overcame the poor shooting form Caron and AJ. Haywood did a good job on Shaq, too. Miami just looks beat. Even D-Wade looked like he gave up early in the game. This team has legitimate problems, and I know it's early, but if the way the Heat played tonight is indicative of their effort and talent level, this team is going to miss the playoffs by a large margin.

Posted by: Colin | December 13, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

We finally gave Miami a beat down !!! It's been a long time coming. Hope Dsong's ankle is ok, we need every body we got these days. Sac town is in the house on Saturday !!

Posted by: Section101 | December 13, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Great win and another very good called game by EJ. I do not blame him at all for not playing NY or DMAC in this game. This was a huge game against a veteran team and EJ did not want to take any chances.

Another monkey is now off EJ's back by beating Miami at home. The other monkey was beating the Nets.

DS is starting to make me eat crow. I prefer chicken instead, but I can learn to like some of that crow. Hope he keeps it up.

No need to mention my boy Haywood. Everyone saw what the dude brought to the table again "with minutes". People, the dude is for real. He is the "X" factor this year.

Yo Eddie keep up the good work and keep calling games like this. I also noticed he called timely timeouts also. Good overall game called by maybe the "coach of the year".........!!! Yea, I said it, I know the folks won't believe me; but the truth is the truth.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 13, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Great comments Kev and reispace. Great win for the Wiz tonight. Anyone that feels that they have to make any negative comments about tonight's win should at least take tonight off.

Posted by: larry roberts | December 13, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Another little green monster exorcised! On the road no doubt, and in convincing fashion. In statement games, style points matter for little. Records and Standings for less. Psychological and emotional edge to the Wizards. Miami had a soft under belly.

BTH outplayed two HOF Centers on the road. Statement! Paint points and rebounds (once a signature of any Riley team)to Wizards. Statement!

I've seen the future, and it looks like the present Wizards (Riley thoughts).

Posted by: Janitor | December 13, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Hell yeah Wizards, hell yeah!!! Finally, finally we beat the damn Heat! Eddie Jordan made some frustrating coaching decisions, taking out the starters when they seemed to be going full speed, and playing Roger Mason the entire fourth quarter, that each time allowed the Heat to destroy our huge leads, but thank god we have tough starters who extended the lead back out each time they returned to the hardwood. Every one of the starters had a wonderful game. and Deshawn Stevenson WOW, playing like a true baller, even though he's not an all-star i think he enjoyed playing the role of gilbert arenas tonight.

whats up with nick young? i heard he hurt his ankle but no hints that he might sit out tonight until the game began. has he had xrays yet?

blatche is talented but tonight he was very clumsy and sometimes seems disoriented or confused, missing defensive assignments and stupid fouls and other mental errors.

and whats up with the TNT play-by-play guy saying that Blatche went to Syracuse. and Reggie Miller thinking Deshawns I-Can't-Feel-My-Face was My-Right-Hand-Is-Hot.

I loved hearing Antawn's words of encouragement with TNT's new InsideTracks feature. I don't know if he adjusted his gametalk because he was miked up, but he seemed natural and genuine when he was rallying the team and his words exuded leadership. Eddie Jordan has always said and I think this proves him right that Antawn Jamison is the heart and soul of the team.

Roger Mason stunk tonight. Except for a bullet pass inside for a Haywood dunk late in the fourth quarter that put the Wiz up 11, he couldn't buy a bucket and his ballhandling was ineffective and not playmaking.

Haywood was a force. His stats are modest, but he was a solid presence on the inside and discouraged the Heat from playing in the paint, which is largely why the Wizards surprisingly outscored the Heat in the paint.

Butler was everywhere. He was blowing by his man on lightspeed drives to the basket and coming out of nowhere to pick off passes.

Jamison! 16 double-doubles on the year.

I hope Arenas is paying attention to the Wizards success without him and realizing that if he is to emerge from being another high scorer into NBA legend status he needs to distribute the ball better, combine his scoring ability with an Antonio Daniels esque ability to distribute the ball and involve the Stevenson and Haywood more.

I am praying for Etan Thomas to make a full recovery, but I think that he would be better suited for another team, perhaps the Bobcats who missed out on a similar hustle player in Anderson Varejao just this past week. I think that the Wizards chemistry has been much better this year and that has shown in Haywoods dramatically improved performance and that improvement should not be overlooked in deciding what to do with Etan Thomas. Both Brendan and Etan will be better off on different teams.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 11:00 PM | Report abuse

That Roger Mason guy who "stunk" helped hold D Wade to three points in the fourth quarter...

Posted by: RRCC | December 13, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Another great win. Wow, are the Heat a shell of their former selves or what??

I love the way Caron is focusing on defense and ball movement in the first half and then bringing it offensively in the second half. That's a few games he's used that pattern and it's been a huge success.

Fantastic games by Haywood and Stevenson.

Posted by: Mitch | December 13, 2007 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Great statement win indeed. I saw only the last six minutes and so I am watching the tape now. Bottom line - we took care of Heat with Wade and O'Neal without Gilbert. that says it all. Division balance of power is now clearly shifted. It us chasing the Magic. Everybody else just get back!

To me the biggest improvement has been in defense. Kudos to RJ and Randy Ayres. I thought after 10 games old habits would set in. On the contrary we are starting to really believe in the value of defense.

Posted by: BmoreRev | December 13, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

From Poland a big YESSSSSSSS!

DeShawn could not have picked a better night to play big and vindicate EG for the only thing people have been ragging him about all year. It was a fair contract after all... and not just because of this one game.

This is a NICE team.

Posted by: khrabb | December 13, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

RJ? WSo is that? I meant EJ. I have been hard on him but he deserves his props. He is doing a very, very good job getting the team ready and focused and not making excuses. They play hard for him. Kudos to EJ.

Posted by: BmoreRev | December 13, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

You will never run him off.
You will never embarrass him.
You will never hold a conversation with him.
You will never explain to the Post or anyone else why you tolerated him.

Enjoy your rectum-obsessed buddy and have a nice day.

Posted by: Former Poster | December 13, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

the way one deals w/ trolls is the way slashdot deals with them.

1) user on user moderation
2) meta-moderation of the user's moderation (to see if people think that user moderated correctly).

But I'm not sure anyone here actually reads slashdot (yay for my 4 digit slashdot uid).

Posted by: dealing with trolls | December 13, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Les BouleS did a heckuva job tonight. They looked younger and much more lively on the court. Miami had no answer.

But, to put it in perspective, this demon won't be exorcised until Les BouleS beat the heat consistently, and in the playoffs. Gotta keep it in perspective.

Can an owner throw CBut some max money?

SCHWAAADAGGGGGERRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 14, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, the Wiz are much better on defense this year. All props need to go to their new defensive coordinator, akers was it?? Anyway, there are still blown assignments, but less uncontested shots, the guys are rotating back on defense and helping when needed. I know, people think this team is doing well BECAUSE Arenas is out, but i think the Wiz would be doing Better with a healthy arenas b/c the defense and the bench is so much better than last year. When Caron and Arenas went out, no one stepped up. This year, jarvis and the deadweights are gone and we have a bench that can keep leads, and sometimes extend it! It will be interesting when Arenas gets back. The Wiz might actually be Way over .500 when he gets back which should be cool, he can then ease his way back in instead of 40+ minutes every night like the way he started this year.

Posted by: vobiwan | December 14, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

"Curmudgeon's a new one. To put it in simpler language: Blogs represent additional work and additional cost to the Post. While blogs are tolerated, readers who find value in them should ignore little @ss-wipes like DCWhatever, because somewhere down the road, if non-curmudgeons continue to interact with him, or his occasional foul-mouthed crew, he'll be the cause of the death of the blog.

You will never run him off.
You will never embarrass him.
You will never hold a conversation with him.
You will never explain to the Post or anyone else why you tolerated him.

Enjoy your rectum-obsessed buddy and have a nice day.

Posted by: Former Poster | December 13, 2007 11:21 PM

the way one deals w/ trolls is the way slashdot deals with them.

1) user on user moderation

Posted by: dealing with trolls | December 13, 2007 11:51 PM "

It's funny how everybody's got a theory and everybody's got an opinion about this blog and certain posters (specifically me), but over time, what it proves is that these people's opinions are about as worthless as their mom's getting AIDs tests after turning tricks for 20 years.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 14, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I luv Gilby!

Posted by: DC Sashay88 | December 14, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, you gotta do better than that!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 14, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I hate Gilby, but I love me some max money!

Posted by: Laura Govan | December 14, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Bmore Rev you said it all, but I will say it this way: The D-Wade/Shaq hex is finished and so is that crew down in South Beach. That team and that sleazebag Riley are shot fighters right now. And I look forward to dancing on their graves some more.
The mental toughness this team has developed is shining through. In the last few years, if the Wizards had blown most of a 19-point lead as quickly as they did tonight, then they would've gone the whole hog and lost the game. But this time they were resolute and held the Heat at arm's length. And it is that mental toughness that will keep them from getting too high about this win and overlooking Sacramento in the next game.
How sweet it was to see D-Wade and Shaq sitting on their behinds in the final minute just starting at the court and this defeat. Even sweeter to see BTH putting the finishing touches on the game with dunk.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 14, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I luv DC Man88! Seriously, he could be the best poster on this blog, if only he would use his athleticism on D and not spend all summer running with a parachute and hanging out at Barry Farms. Oh wait, that's me who does that. Sorry.

Posted by: Gilby | December 14, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Anybody got the number for dial a maid?

Posted by: Laura Govan | December 14, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

"It's been a long time since I left you...."

Without a dope beat to step to...

Try Again - Aaliyah.

DCMan88 Proves he supermans that dude night after night.

Posted by: Jumpy | December 14, 2007 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Charles Barkley witticisms at half time of the Spurs-Lakers game before recap of the Wiz-Heat game:
(the Wizards gold/black) uniforms are the ugliest jerseys in the world!
'Lonzo is 72 years old!

Posted by: rgz | December 14, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

LOL. superman that hoooooo

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2007 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I liked the TNT mic-thing. Now I know these players realize it sucks to lead for 3 quarters and let the other team steal a win in the 4th. So I was happy to see Jamison encouraging them to play better in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: Bart | December 14, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

"DCMan88 Proves he supermans that dude night after night.

Posted by: Jumpy | December 14, 2007 01:09 AM

LOL. superman that hoooooo

Posted by: | December 14, 2007 07:32 AM "

What a cute word! I bet you know all about it.

Too bad your mom's got kryptonite down there. Looks green and stinks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 14, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

"Seriously, the Wiz are much better on defense this year. All props need to go to their new defensive coordinator, akers was it"

Don't give credit to ayers. the reason we are all of a sudden good at D is b/c one MR. Gilbert Arenas isn't on the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Like another Eric B & Rakim quotable, The Wiz Let the Rhythm Hit Em' in Miami. A real nice team win!

Posted by: G$ | December 14, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I like to sashay around when I see Gilby at the games. I luv Gilby!

Posted by: DC Sashay88 | December 14, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"Division balance of power is now clearly shifted. It us chasing the Magic. Everybody else just get back!"

I'm so proud of the whole team. I was really worried after Gil went down, but everyone has stepped it up including the coaching staff. Stick a fork in the Heat, they are really done and I don't feel bad at all for them. Especially for Mourning. That guy is a jerk.

The Wiz are 12-5 in thier last 17, that's nothing to sneeze at.

"I think he likes it here and is smart enough to see what's going on out on the court and will work his way into the flow of the team. And if that happens we're seeing the start of something special around here."

It's no secret I'm a big fan of Gil, but I think when he comes back he needs to take less shots and TRUST his team mates.

They have so much confidence right now. Again I hate to say it, but his injury *could* be a blessing. Especially if he does indeed come back this year and can contribute.

- Ray