LeBron officially out

LeBron James and Larry Hughes were out on the Verizon Center floor getting some shots up a little while ago but both are out for tonight's game against the Wizards. It will be the fourth straight game missed by James (sprained left index finger) while Hughes has been out since Nov. 16 with a bone bruise in his left leg.

Hughes, the former Wizard who nearly stayed, has now missed 71 regular season games in two plus seasons with Cleveland. Shannon Brown is scheduled to start for Hughes tonight while Sasha Pavlovic is set to start for James. Donyell Marshall, who nearly signed with the Wiz in the summer of 2005, is also out for Cleveland.

Word out of Cleveland is that the Cavs are starting Brown to drum up trade interest because they have 15 players and need to create a spot for Anderson Varajeo, who signed with Charlotte yesterday but will be a Cav once Danny Ferry matches.

A few quick notes: Caron Butler is the NBA's best three-point shooter (53.5 percent)....Antawn Jamison is averaging a career-high 10.2 rebounds per game...The Wiz are 5-4 without Gilbert Arenas... The Cavs are 0-3 without James (0-4 if you throw in a loss to Detroit when he got hurt)...In the East, only Dwight Howard has more double doubles than Jamison's 11 (Howard has 16).

By Ivan Carter  |  December 5, 2007; 4:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Varejao Gets His Dinheiro (Money), Wants More
Next: Hot Suns next

Comments

I can't believe Lebron has missed 4 games now because of a "jammed" finger. You've got to be kidding me! Tape that thing up and earn your millions! But at least we don't have to play him now...

Posted by: MD Baller1 | December 5, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The cavs already cut nichols, so i don't know that they still need to showcase Brown, right?

Posted by: steve | December 5, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

The team should come out of the gates very motiviated tonight (i.e, payback time). If they can sustain it, McGuire ought to get some pick-up minutes.

If they come out flat, substitutions should begin at the 3 minute mark. No excuses.

Posted by: Izman | December 5, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are better than the Cavs with no LeBron. It is time to be ruthless tonight. Crush them!!!!!!

Posted by: George Templeton | December 5, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Lebron really jammed his finger from counting his 27 mil that he made last year. As reported today, he's the top earning athlete under 25.

On a side note, how about CBut for the 3 point shooting contest!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 5, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Vote Caron and Antawn to the All Star game:

Posted by: Rook | December 5, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

19 point lead at half, Dmac and bench due some floor time.

Posted by: myshkin | December 5, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I see Eddie is wearing out A. Daniels with the minutes at point guard. He'll be burned out soon. Check the minutes he played Gil at the start of the year fresh off of knee surgery. Instead of working him in slowly at 25-30 minutes a game, the "coach" played him over 40. Look where Gil is now. Nice move, "coach". Or, is Gil the coach?

Posted by: Frank | December 5, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice move signing Stevenson to a long term deal. He has a history of playing well in a contract year, then slacking off once he gets his contract. Why keep him and not Navarro? Oh, that's right, the same people who keep Eddie Jordan as coach made that decision. Ahhhh, a .500 basketball team. Abe must be so proud!

Posted by: Leon | December 5, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

The Cavs made a run and the Wiz defense tightens and they get the win. Could we have said something like that last year?

Also, nice to see Young developing. He is becoming a needed go to scorer off the bench and just as importantly playing better defense.

Posted by: Tim | December 5, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Will this Navarro obssession never die?

Posted by: Drexler | December 5, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Nice game overall, little scary when they started draining 3s at the end of the 3rd and beginning of 4th.

I know there were a few of us during pre-season and early in the year who were high on NY before the breakout...Cheshire cat grins for us. I never once doubted he was going to be the steal of draft, believe he is in the top 10 rookie rankings on NBA.com now.

I still have no concerns about Daniels durability. That does not mean he is invulnerable and cannot succumb to an injury but he will not just wear down and whither away. Again, I emphasize his conditioning and professionalism. Wish Miles was here to let him kick back occasionally but...

Haywood brought it tonight, played like the 2nd best center in the East. If he did this consistently he would be a candidate for most improved player.

Digging the team so much right now for the very reason that it is now a team. Everyone plays and contributes, we are going to be so much stronger down the road. If and when Arenas returns I truly hope we do not regress back to the big 3 centric team we had over the past few years. This team has grown beyond that.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | December 5, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Eddie gave credit to his assistant coaches for the noted improvement in defense this year. But lets not let this get out of hand. The team that Cleveland took to the finals last year is not the team the Wiz handled tonight. If NY keeps improving at a steady rate, DS will become a second string guard before the end of the year. One other thing, I am still not comfortable with BH and AB in the game at the same time. The team just isn't in sync when they are in together. Not sure why.

Posted by: oddjob | December 5, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Amen to that.

DS, 21 min, 0-3, 0 pts, 4 turnovers

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 5, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice game, but I wish EJ would give D-Mac some run. This is exactly the type of game where he should be giving the Rook some experience, and we are going to need the full team down the stretch. I'd like to see EJ give Caron more time at the 2 (DS certainly isn't bringing it...)and give D-Mac some time at the 3.

Posted by: PK1 | December 5, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Will this Navarro obssession never die?

Posted by: Drexler | December 5, 2007 10:15 PM

-As soon as your obsession with EG comes to a close. It was arguably a bad decision, so that's what we are doing, arguing! Imagine, Nick Young and Navarro. We would have saved money and have a better team. How ya like them apples?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 5, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Agree with you PK1 about MacGuire, he has to get some time in games like these. What a fantastic job the Wizards tonight. They really took the Cavs apart in the second quarter and early in the third.
23 assists, that's a number this team can with with most nights. When this team gets in an offensive rhythm, it is a real joy to watch.
And you are right DCMan, put CB3 in the 3-point contest, he is has been amazing from there.
With all the firepower that Phoenix has, I am not sure how the Wizards will be able to keep up.

Posted by: George Templeton | December 5, 2007 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I disagree with the pressing need to get DMac more time right now. The front court is actual ok and deep enough to dominate most front courts in the east. It is more important to get RM the playing time and build his confidence right now. I loved that RM got 20 min vs. the 19 min DS got tonight. And RM had 0 turnovers. We need him to play better and take some burden off of AD asap. It worked out well tonight. I see DS role on this team as a second string defensive specialist who keeps the opposing 2 from getting off early. You have to admit DS can play some tough D when he wants to. I just wish he would develop one go to move we could rely on for 10-12 points a night. He needs to just stop shooting those 3s.

Posted by: oddjob | December 6, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Frank, I don't see any correlation between Daniels minutes and what happened to Gilbert. Gilbert was coming off knee surgery and rehab. by all accounts, Daniels came into camp in the best shape of his career. Besides, given their roster, what other choice does Jordan have but to play Daniels as much as he can stand.? It's not like they have any good options at backup PG. Although I did notice down the stretch, when they had Young and Daniels in together, that much of the time Young was bringing the ball up court, to take some of the pressure off Daniels. Good move that worked well.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:05 AM | Report abuse

That's a rhetorical question, right?

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Will this Navarro obsession never die?

Rhetorical question, right?

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Haywood still holds a grudge against the team that drafted him and then traded him away for Michael Doleac???? Maybe??

Posted by: dmal | December 6, 2007 3:32 AM | Report abuse

I hope never to see DSong trying to guard Gooden again. I haven't seen a torching that bad since the California wildfires.

NY looks real good, it doesn't look like too many guys out there can guard him.

CB was amazing again. I hope he just keeps focused on his overall game and avoids distractions like the 3 point shooting contest. Those kind of contests can throw a guy's game off.

"The Wood Man Bringeth," a play I hope to see repeated many times.

Another nice game from Mason. He's handling the ball pretty well when AD's out, and shooting well.

Maybe JCN was a mistake (I'm not sure), but EG has done a lot of good work, much of which was on display in the building last night: Larry in street clothes for the umpteenth time, NY abusing defenders, CB doing his thing, AJ getting another double-double. (And in the meantime, JJ has been abysmal for the Knicks, Kwame's injured again and Dixon is out of the Toronto rotation). So overall EG's judgments haven't been too bad.

Posted by: Mitch | December 6, 2007 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mitch | December 6, 2007 06:40 AM

No one said EG did not do a good job, just hold on the obsession as exhibited by that conclusion as well as other comments by many on the blog. For example, attributing the success of not signing Larry Hughs to EG is a mischaracterization at best and a lie at worst. He tried his damnest to sign Larry and even offered him more money than Cleveland did. Larry was insulted by the first lower offer and decided not to sign with Washington. EG was lucky, not skilled in that case.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 6:52 AM | Report abuse

" He tried his damnest to sign Larry and even offered him more money than Cleveland did. Larry was insulted by the first lower offer and decided not to sign with Washington. EG was lucky, not skilled in that case."

So he "tried his damnest [sic]" to sign him by making an "insulting" offer. You're confused, dawg. And also you have no idea what happened in those negotiations, nor do I. So I look at the result, not the speculation, and the result is that Larry was on the Cavs bench last night.

Posted by: Mitch | December 6, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

A quote from EJ in Wilbon's article...
"Brendan was dominant," Eddie Jordan said, before catching himself. "I realize those are words you don't put together. Brendan and dominant. But he was dominant."

Is he serious? It sure doesn't sound like he's kidding. And this is supposed to motivate his players? I don't get it. Maybe I'm nitpicking but this sure doesn't sound like the kind of thing a coach says about a player he likes or respects.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Mark - if you watched the post-game show, you would have seen EJ make those comments, and he was clearly tickled after he said BTH was dominant, and then added in the rest.

And I don't know what team you are watching, but these wiz look plenty motivated to me.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I LOLed at EJs postgame when he made the comment about Haywood. The look on his face when he realized what he had said was hysterical.

I love that when Cleveland started a comeback the defense buckled down. What a good game to watch.

The post game show was enjoyable, too--Besides EJs comments, it's impossible not to smile when Nick Young and AD are being interviewed. Maybe I've still got the warm fuzzies from Ivan's blog, but it sure is easy to really want these guys to win. :)

Posted by: Lou | December 6, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Did you guys catch Nick Young's missed dunk? That wouldve been a one-way ticket to New Orleans.

Posted by: Tommy | December 6, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 08:00 AM

Mark, you are not nitpicking. I noticed the same thing too. If you noticed in the game, Haywood was having an incredible 1st quarter. Eddie takes him out, which is fine because all starters sit some in the 2nd quarter, but does not put him back into the game until the 3rd quarter. What happend to the 2nd quarter. What's up with that?

Eddie then yanks him at around his traditional 5 minute mark in the 3rd. Grant you the Wiz had built like a 28 point lead at that point. Low and behold the Cav's make a run cut the lead down and then Eddie puts Haywood back in, "ONLY BECAUSE AB WAS NOT BRINGING IT AS HE NORMALLY DOES".

Trust me, if AB had been playing a little better, Haywood would not have gotten back in the game, I guarantee it. If you remember the past game against Toronto, Haywood minutes were cut down big time. It is so clear to me EJ does not like Haywood's game for whatever reason.

Yes, Haywood forced some shots last night, but I believe that is because he figures he is about to get yanked so he my as well shoot before he sits the rest of the game.

My biggest concern now is when OPEC comes back, watch for Eddie to slice more of Haywood's minutes. I love OPEC's game, in it's spots in a game, and he will make the Wiz even more stronger. However, it is a true shame Eddie does not see the player (BTH) he has at his fingertips but refuses to acknowledge the man has "some" game.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 6, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

One more thing. Other than the Haywood situation I had a slight problem with, EJ coached a very good game. I am finally beginning to feel he has a idea of what he has and how to put the right combinations out there on the floor during games.

You guys are right on how EJ has to "find more minutes" for DMAC. DMAC can give CB or Jamison a blow sometimes. It does not have to always be Songalia doing it.

As for DS, what can you say? Again, he is what he is. I believe Kalorama may a good point some time back about how you could not bench DS. I believe that is true because he has nothing to give you coming off of the bench, points wise. He is not a shutdown defender like he is advertised to be and he does not finish at the rim well either.

He has to start or he won't play. Mason and NY should be getting all of the minutes at the 2 if the truth must be said. Unfortunately, Eddie has to play him because he just got that brand new contract. I don't blame Eddie on that one, nor EG. Gilbert forced EG's hand at signing DS, plain and simple.

This is not a slap at Gilbert, because I would do the same thing for one of my boys too if I had the leverage Gilbert has with the Wiz, so I am not mad at him. Lets just hope DS is able to "find his J" before his four year contract is up......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 6, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

cool. I'm not criticizing EJ because I didn't see when he made the comments. I never said they weren't playing motivated ball. I just wonder why comments are made like that if there is a strined relationship. Perhaps they are getting along now that ET is gone. I certainly hope so. I still wonder the same thing as Bullets Fever#1, though. Why is BTH taken out when he's having great starts? Is it just to give AB some time? could be. This wasn't the first time.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Would you do it? I would, if they'd take Gilby with his bum knee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Leon,
I agree, Stevenson has been ineffective ZERO points last night. Navarro was a mistake.

Drexler, NO Navarro should not go away for this very reason, Stevenson disappears on the floor, no productivity. Look at last night's numbers minutes at the 2 position and contributions made.

Mark, I had the same impression, Jordan goofed his center after the guy/Man produced quality numbers. Haywood has turned in dominate performances and has been consistent in his play. Jordan sounds pity and un-willing to give a Man (like him or not) his due. Haywood is the best they have at 5 he deserves better.
Haters are everywhere.

Way to go Brendan, play your game. We see you playa

Posted by: aFan | December 6, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Friday against the Suns should be a good test of our D. Based on some numbers being thrown out there, we're better than last season. They have NO answer for BTH size wise. I wonder whether we'll try to slow it down and take advantage or run with them. We probably have the skills to do either. It should be a good test of EJ's ability.
On a side note, NY will probably never start. I think coaches like scoring off the bench. I never understood why. Scoring to me is socring regardless of where it comes from or when. There must be some rationale for having Vinnie Johnson, Ben Gordan, etc. come off the bench and shoot.
Or it could be one of those things where it worked with Havlicek and people have been copying ever since. Maybe because second teams have less talent and need a scorer?

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Eddie continues this way with BH because he thinks he'll get the big head if he's always praising him. Some players need that motivation and chip on their shoulder when they play and I think Brendan is one of them. No different than what Phil Jackson, the Zen-master, or Riley do with some of their players.

Posted by: G$ | December 6, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"They have NO answer for BTH size wise. I wonder whether we'll try to slow it down and take advantage or run with them."

No Mark, they won't. EJ will take Haywood out early simply because he figures that he does not need BTH's size.

Did you see what happened last night? Haywood got Z into foul trouble, and what did he get for reward? EJ let him sit too because he figured that he did not need him when Cavs played without Z! In the end, Haywood only played 5 minutes more than Z who was in foul trouble early.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

...I was curious about that because the first time after Z went out and Gooden tried to guard BTH, it resulted in a drop-step 2 handed unk over Gooden. BTH could have had 40.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

EJ's view of Haywood continues to be a bit of a mystery, but EJ needs to start living in the present. Look at this season's stats. With Gilbert out, Haywood is the team's third leading scorer, leads the team in FG%. The team actually has started running plays for him this season, and that should continue and increase. Why wouldn't you run plays for your third leading scorer and best percentage shooter?

I was at the game last night, and it occurred to me afterward that Haywood got his points on offensive boards and putbacks, a drive by a guard who dished to him underneath, jump hooks, a spin move, a drive to the basket, and a jump shot. Jesus, that's pretty much every thing a center can do. As much maligned as he has been, he has always been a hard worker, and slowly and surely has added pieces to his game bit by bit. (Bullets Fever, I don't know how you can say Haywood forced shots when he was 7 for 8 from the floor.)

Posted by: Henry | December 6, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Is he serious? It sure doesn't sound like he's kidding."

It was a joke. It was plainly obvious at the postgame when he said it it was a joke. Huge smile on his face. Joke.

My god, will it ever stop? Haywood puts up a double-double with 5 blocks, the Wiz win by 19, and people are still pissing about Jordan because he didn't play Haywood enough or because Haywood "could have had 40."

They. Won. The. Game. By. 19. Points. Period.

Unbelievable.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

BF #1 - Question for you. I think DS is doing a pretty good job of running the offense when he has a chance. I think he does a better job the Mason. What's your thoughts on this?

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

aFan said: " Jordan sounds pity and un-willing to give a Man (like him or not) his due."

Jordan gave him his due. He said Brendan was dominant. Then he made a joke. What don't you understand?

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Another real nice game. Haywood really went at them inside early. Real team effort on the boards. Guys are starting to do a good job of keeping the ball alive for a second and third chance at the rebound.

I like Navarro, I really thought the Wizards should have made a run at Gasol last spring and tried to get them both on the roster.

But wow guys, it was really clear to anyone who followed that deal all summer
Navarro was going back to Europe or to the Grizzlies, he was never coming here. Rook has posted blow by blow discriptions on here several times so there's no use to go over all that again.

The Wiz won the game with a nice defensive effort last night. Navarro's got one hell of a jump shot, even better range then he displayed in Europe.

But as a defender he's worldclass clueless, the Grizzilies go to a zone almost as soon as he comes in the game.
And if the other 4 guys are in man he still plays a zone anyway.

After we drafted Young I don't think Grunfeld ever thought twice about bringing in Navarro. He's going to be the scoring option at the two and his defense is improving by the game. He's going to be taking bigger and bigger bites of the two gaurd minutes. Navarro would have just cut into Young's minutes and slowed his development.

Stevenson gives the Wiz a big physical defender to match up against certain guys that would torch Young right now, so the combination works. Stevenson may continue to start but if you notice Young is starting to get key minutes now.

Nice move by Eddie to start to let Young handle the ball to take a little pressure off Daniels. The kid's got some work to do but he's got a serious game already. And he's a fun interview to watch too.

Mark, I took that Eddie thing as some "old school play ground ranking" kind of like a left handed compliment. Many old school guys can never say something nice without adding a little zinger to it. Good sign to me that he felt comfortable enough to smile and laugh about it a little.

His "it takes a village" line made it clear to me that he knows things work better with a buffer between him and Brendan. Things are working right now, I wouldn't try and sweat it too it much.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep it in perspective, yes the Wiz won and it's great to see the team clicking but it was against Cleveland without Lebron.
EJ's personel/substitution moves continue to bother some of us because we believe younger players are not getting experience, and older ballers are playing 40 minutes. This is critical for a short handed team or for any team as the season wears on and players tire, injuries occur and suddenly there is a need to plug an inadequately prepared player into the mix.
Also some of us continue to be mystified about the handling of Haywood, which over the years has resulted in some part to an underperforming seven footer whose potential we are getting glimpses of now. Granted it may also have something to do with BH's attitude but part of a coach's job is to get the most out of his players, playing as a team together not fighting with each other as we saw last season.

Posted by: msyhkin | December 6, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

^^^ dammit anon, here it comes :(

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

wizards 9-4 since the 0-5 start. basically, an improvement on last year, when we started 4-9 before turning it on, and this without gil.

its the holidays, lets focus on the positives. we are more of a team now than last year. we have several players injured who will come back at some point. we are in the playoff hunt in the east. we have an easy schedule in december. caron has become a monster. jamison has more double-doubles this year than KG. lets be happy.

Posted by: andy | December 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Kal, not sure why you get offended when we talk about BTH/EJ and the minutes. While it may not be an issue now, if the team starts losing a couple of games and dispositions sour, it may be a problem. I know that if we lose a few and BTH is only playing 20 minutes, he may start to wonder why. I don't think we're trying to complain for the sake of complaining. I know I'm not. I think we're all glad to get wins. It's all about the W regardless of minutes. I just still don't understand the reasoning behind EJ's substitution pattern. There must be a reason but it's not really apparent. For all we know, EJ may have talked to BTH and told him he'd cut back on his minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs (when teams generally play slowdown ball and BTH is more effective). It sure would be nice to hear that confirmed somewhere, though.

Posted by: mark | December 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of criticism on Stevenson for going 0-3 from the floor with a few turnovers, but do we really need him to be a big offensive threat? We know that Caron and Antawn will carry the starting 5 offensively, while NY will carry the bench scoring load. We need a balance of scoring from both our 1st and 2nd units. If you make Stevenson the 2nd string sg, we won't get the offensive spark we need when Caron and Antawn are resting. NY gives us that threat we have been missing off of our bench. I also like the energy Blatche brings, the solid game of Songaila, and the 3 pt threat of Mason. Eddie really has a solid rotation right now.

Posted by: gvp | December 6, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not offended.

I am, however, alternately dismayed and amused at the silliness and pointlessness of it.

All last season people complained incessantly about how Haywood "needed to play 30 minutes," about how "the more he played the more effective he was," how "they needed him to contribute for the team to win," and how "Jordan has a personal grudge against Haywood." Blah blah.

Now here we are, less than 24 hours removed from a game which the Wiz won walking away, in which Haywood played 29 minutes, scored 18 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, blocked 5 shots, was called "dominant" by Jordan in the post game interview and yet ...

You're still pissing and whining about Haywood not playing enough and about how Jordan treats him.

It's nonsense.

You got exactly what you've been crying for, and yet the crying continues.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Kal - So your point is, we have to lose first before we can criticize EJ's coaching habit...especially with regards to BTH. I believe people here just want improvement. Even if the team wins, there are still room for improvement.....and we've been waiting for a year for EJ to improve.

Posted by: Dave | December 6, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

My point is, in this case there's nothing to criticize. Jordan played Haywood solid minutes, Haywood gave a solid performance, the team won, and Jordan gave Haywood some props. What is there to complain about?

"I know that if we lose a few and BTH is only playing 20 minutes, he may start to wonder why."

Here's the problem with that theory ....

He didn't "only play 20 minutes." He played 29, one below the magical 30 threshold. Are you actually complaining because Jordan didn't play him that one extra minute?

The Wizards pretty much dominated this game. There was absolutely no reason to play Haywood 35+ minutes when (A) he got the job done in 29 (B) the Wiz were in control the entire way (C) C is one of the few positions where the team actually has a high-quality backup (although if Young continues to develop, add SG to the list) and (D) they've got a game Friday against a great team with an All-NBA first teamer in the middle.

But yeah, there's nothing personal about the criticism of Jordan. Nosiree. Not at all.

Incredible.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if we offended you, Kalorama. Have a tissue....

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"DC88, don't you realize no one gives a damn what you would or would not do? Or what you think?

Posted by: | December 6, 2007 12:41 PM "

Awww, did I hurt your feelings in the past?

sniff, sniff.....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry if we offended you, Kalorama. Have a tissue....",/I>

Finally, a thoughtful, well-reasoned, fact based argument.

Oh, wait a minute... I was reading the wrong post. That's just pointless junk.

My bad.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dave. I could not have said that any better myself. We won the game, yea. But what happens like you said when we start losing some games because of EJ's handling or should I say non-handling of the 5 spot?

Kal - If Etan was here, you best believe you would really be hearing it from me and others on Haywood's time. Because if Etan was here right now, Haywood would be seeing only about 10 to 15 minutes a game or less.

Do me a favor and watch Friday's game. I guarantee you Haywood will only see about 15 to 20 minutes a game max. Regardless how well he starts the game off. Why, because the Suns are not a "BIG" team and EJ is going to go straight to "smallball" to matchup with them (which will backfire as it always does); instead of making them matchup with us.

Again, you said Haywood got 30 minutes, okay. But what happened in the 2nd quarter where he did not play at all? All of the other starters got back in the game in the 2nd quarter? Haywood was killing Gooden, but what did Eddie do? He put his new "Etan/Jarvis/Ruffin" favorite on him. Gooden instantly ate Songalia up. Small ball at it's best..........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 6, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You are nitpicking.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, I know folks will jump all over me, but I agree with you, Kal.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

He's playing with two near Allstar talents and the Nets aeren't winning. Since 88 'er wants to make Arenas the center peice of a swap for Kidd, what possible players could the Wiz bundle together to come up with the 8m dollars in salary needed to balance the dollars?

I can't figure out how anyone could come up with any trade scenario involving Kidd that would improve the Wizards.

Caron Butler should go to the Allstar game and participate in what ever contests the league invites him to just like anyone else.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 12:14 PM

2cents I can agree with you to a degree. DS has surprised me showing he could run the point for limited minutes. To me, both he and Mason are the same running the point. However the only difference is Mason's "J" always looks good when it leaves his hand, but on the other hand DS's "J" looks like he is "aiming" it in the basket and it never looks fluid.

Lastly, believe it or not Mason finishs a heck of a lot better at the rim then DS. DS usually gets it smacked from him or he gets himself in the air with no where to go. So my nod goes to Mason.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | December 6, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Because if Etan was here right now, Haywood would be seeing only about 10 to 15 minutes a game or less."

But he's not here is he? So what's the point of complaining about something that's not happening?

"What I am and everyone else is trying to say is you have a nice 7 foot center with size and space eating ablities that is not being used at all times for some odd reason."

"At all times"? So now you're saying Jordan is a bad coach because he doesn't play Haywood 48 minutes every game?

Ridiculous.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

They. Won. The. Game. By. 19. Points. Period.

Unbelievable.

---
Thank god there is someone with some sense on this blog. I was beginning to worry about the Yahoo factor.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Bullets Fever, but AB replaced Haywood, not Songalia. AB replaced BTH with 57 seconds left in the first period.

Haywood did not play the 2nd period. But, let's see, the wiz were up by one after the 1st period. They were up by 19 at the half. Whatever lineup was in there obviously did a better job than the lineup in the 1st period.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"But what happened in the 2nd quarter where he did not play at all?

They built up a 19 point lead going into halftime?

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Bullet Fever #1, What was the score at the END of the second quarter?

30-35 minutes a game seems about right for Haywood. He got 29 minutes in a victory and played very well, based on those two facts I find it hard to second guess Eddie's handling of him in last night's game.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

And in the 4th period, when things started to go bad, EJ had to bring back both Antawn and Haywood. Both ... he brought them both back to secure the win.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Kal,
I completely agree. A significant portion of the criticism of EJ is personal. They have climbed into his head and figure he has a persona issue with BTH. The fact that BTH's past coaches and many others completed agree with EJ and what they were seeing out of BTH--consistent inconsistency, and lack of floor activity and at times heart. He is playing up to his potential that many including EJ saw for him. Good for him!

Posted by: Skeef | December 6, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

smartas* kal at it

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Jason Kidd makes just less then 20m per year, wants an extension, and is 34 years old.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 01:56 PM "

Maybe JKidd would take less to work with EJ again. In case you forgot, they had a great relationship, and surely, JKidd knows how to run the Princeton, and any other offense out there.

Of all people, I would think you GM, wouldn't want age to be a hindrance in being able to perform. Or, are you making a subliminal admittance there?

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

There was very little SmallBall played last night. The second period had both Blatche and Songalia until about 3 minutes were left. So you had 3 minutes of SmallBall in the 2nd period (even Songalia was pulled and the bench was basically put in), and still led by 19 .... pa-leez!!!

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Numbers do not lie. Eddie Jordan was not a winner before, he isn't now, and he isn't likely to be. Despite a talented roster this coach is going to be forever mediocre at best. Eddie is a VERY nice man, but unfortunately, a very nice man who is a loser.

Posted by: Red | December 6, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, just imagine what JKidd could do if he was running a team with CBut, DMac, NY, and AB. Now that's some REAL excitement at VC.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

DCMan88 said: "To make the trade work, I'd take JKidd, JMagloire, and JBoone for Gilby and AJ and throw in DS. Numbers about match."

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Red - The wiz are the only talented team that EJ has head coached. Before that, he was interim coach of a bad Sacremento team in the middle of the season ( after the original coach got fired, of course). That team played much better under EJ. They kept him on for another year, and they barely missed the playoffs, 9th seed, with the same bad roster. Did I mention that this team had been bad for years.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

GM - you won't believe how close I was to reposting that long JCN timeline again... Thanks for stopping me.

Kal - Funny, Haywood had 10 points in the 1st quarter and I was thinking that Eddie was making a mistake when he took Haywood out and didn't put him back in the 2nd quarter.....but then I watched how the team built up a huge lead in the 2nd quarter and figured why mess with a good thing.

He DID put Haywood back in the game in the 4th period when it looked like the Cavs were making a run...

By the way, anyone that actually watched the post game comments by Jordan wouldn't think what he said was an insult to Haywood, but rather a compliment. Daniels said much the same things later in the Comcast broadcast.....apparently with Brendan standing behind the camera man.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

"I'll bet NJ would jump on that trade in a heartbeat. But why would the Wiz do this trade? Giving away a young, upcoming point guard for an aging one with bad knees, plus throw in a solid 20-8 guy to boot. No thank you.

Posted by: 2cents4wiz | December 6, 2007 02:52 PM "

Les BouleS would do this trade b/c they see this team doing well w/o Gilby, the emergence of CBut, the emergence of the younger players, the reluctance to pay a player a max salary who isn't able to carry the team and hasn't taken the team deep into the playoffs, etc. Also, the high chance that Les BouleS will lose AJ anyway.

What they would get in return is a savvy veteran who's a future hall of famer who can still pass and play hard nosed D. He makes his teammates better and has genuine star attraction w/o self hype. He works well with the coach. Also, they would be getting rid of a 16 mil player for two young bigs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Let's stop the maddness.Gilbert for Kidd you have got to be kidding(no pun intended).Sure Kidd is one of the best PG's in the last ten years,but with the game on the line Gilbert is the player you want with ball in his hands & that statement would be true no matter what team Gilbert played for.Gil is reaching his peak & will be an allstar caliber player for the next 6-7 years, while Kidd's best days are behind him.The wizards only concern at the 1 should be to find a solid backup to AD.

Posted by: dcpirate1 | December 6, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"No way in hell the Wiz would make that trade. They'd be giving up almost 50 ppg in offense for Kidd and two crappy benchwarmers.

Posted by: kalorama | December 6, 2007 02:56 PM "

Les BouleS are winning right now without Gilby, so technically, they would be giving up 50 ppg, but realistically, they're giving up a 20/10 player in AJ for a hall of famer guard who can take Les BouleS past the 1st round. This hall of famer is almost averaging a triple double at the old age of 34. I really think JKidd would bring out the best in CBut, NY, AB, and DMac. Maybe even OPech.

If Les BouleS don't get him, the Cleveland will get him, and from there, Les BouleS can practically kiss goodbye any thoughts of championships for a long time.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"Sure Kidd is one of the best PG's in the last ten years,but with the game on the line Gilbert is the player you want with ball in his hands & that statement would be true no matter what team Gilbert played for.Gil is reaching his peak & will be an allstar caliber player for the next 6-7 years, while Kidd's best days are behind him.The wizards only concern at the 1 should be to find a solid backup to AD.

Posted by: dcpirate1 | December 6, 2007 03:31 PM "

Geez, rather than rely on a single guy when the game is on the line, I'd rather rely on a pass first, tough nosed guard who can play D, run the offense, and would have all his teammates involved during the game so that it won't come down to the wire for a prayer bomb from 25 ft. out.

Forget "all star" caliber player labels. I want a team oriented guy who can help this team increase their chances of winning a championship, not be a perennial first round loser or a team that drops from 1st place to barely making 8th place for the playoffs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by DC Man88 - "Maybe JKidd would take less to work with EJ again."
Even though the NBA contract with the Union forbids renegotiating contracts downward?

Posted by DC Man88 - "the high chance that Les BouleS will lose AJ anyway.
And you know that because of the insider NBA knowledge that you are privvy to(but nobody else)? Or because Jamison had said so in published articles? Or said so in a TV Interview?

Posted by DC Man88 - "What they would get in return is a savvy veteran who's a future hall of famer who can still pass and play hard nosed D. He makes his teammates better and has genuine star attraction w/o self hype.
Jamison is a savvy veteran All Star player, that is CURRENTLY AVERAGING 20ppg and 10rpg. A selfless leader that does not complain. Leads by example, and to my knowledge has never had a "migrane", or demanded to be traded....

So you would give away 50 ppg, 6 apg, 10 rpg, for 35 year old Jason Kidd and some bench scrubs?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey DC, the CBA does not allow contracts to be renegotiated so a player takes less money. They can only be renegotiated up.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

" Technically, that may be true as Kidd's representatives did the talking. One source maintained management rejected a bid for a one-year, $13 million extension, offering instead $10 million.

The attempt to land an additional year for Kidd beyond the two remaining years - this season at $19.728 million and $21.372 mil for 2008-09 - came before the team's recent Western trip. It likely led, in part, to Kidd's venting about the future of the team and claiming the club has shown a glass jaw this season.

Kidd, 35 in March, spoke with team president Rod Thorn after his rant.

"I don't talk about contracts," Thorn said, noting his relationship with Kidd was solid "as far as I know." "

-----------------------------------------

Rook, my point was that maybe JKidd would lessen his demands for an extension if he could play for EJ. JKidd wanted more money b/c he's sacrificing his body where he doesn't see other teammates doing the same. I think JKidd would love to play with a guy like CButt, and be able to mold young guys like DMac, NY, and AB. I wasn't referring to him renegotiating his current contract.

With regard to AJ, sure, he's a savvy veteran, but he's primarily a scorer. This team has many of those. Also, no team will pay him 16 mil next year, nevermind Les BouleS, but some team out there may pay him more than Les BouleS. Nobody should be surprised if that happens.

With your 50ppg argument, both dudes could walk next year and you'd be left with nothing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 03:57 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"Doubtful any team out there will pay big bucks for a 35 year old player like Jamison (hmmm..... Isn't Kidd 35?) - He won't get $16 Million, but the Wizards have a better chance of resigning him than any other club next year, with the possible exception of Charlotte.

Posted by: | December 6, 2007 04:06 PM "

Jamison is a great individual player. He's not a hall of famer elite player like JKidd who runs an offense, makes his teammates better, and brings it on both ends.

That's what I was thinking. I really see AJ going to Charlotte next season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I can see where NJ would want that deal.
Getting an explosive young scoring guard - just coming into his prime; and an expiring $16 Million contract.... They would be able to sign Arenas to a long term extension at Maximum Salary for less than Kidd makes now - team him with Carter and Jefferson - and have enough money left over from the Jamison expiring contract to sign other players. Sounds good for NJ.

Why would the Wizards benefit? Haven't the Wizards already done this? Traded up and coming talent for over the hill All Stars? Where is the advantage to the Wizards in 2 years? They'll be saddled with a Kobe-like contract; unable to sign any free agents ; muddling along in mediocrity.

Not sure why Kidd would want that trade either. Right now, he can't get HIS CURRENT team (with perennial all stars Carter and Jefferson) to the playoffs - what would make him think he could take the Wizards (with one-time All star Caron Butler) any further?

I doubt Abe Polin would approve that trade.

I do think that Kidd will be traded - but I'm pretty sure it won't be to the Wizards. Most likely to Cleveland, if they can come up with something acceptable to NJ, or to Los Angeles to play with Kobe...

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand DC - why talk about trading Gilbert Arenas at all...

A straight up trade: Jamison for Kidd works.

Jamison does not fit with the Nets for this season, and they would probably fall out of playoff contention - but they would have $31 Million in salaries (including Jamison's $16M) coming off the books after this year and could be a MAJOR player in a very deep Free Agent market.

Kidd's salary would mean the Wizards would be hard pressed to sign Arenas after this year without going over the Luxury Tax; but a team featuring Kidd (at point), Butler and Arenas (at shooting guard), along with the up and coming young guys (Blatche, Young, Pech, and McGuire) would be a playoff team for at least 2-3 more years. But does that team make it to the finals? Could they get by Boston, Detroit, or Orlando in the East?

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob | December 6, 2007 12:11 AM
oddjob,

I totally disagree with you. This is the perfect time to get Dmac some PT. When APech comes back in a few weeks there will be less minutes to go around. He is a center who rebounds and has range from the arc. Jordan will move him into getting big minutes off the bench. I think that as soon as Haywood slumps his minutes will diminish. This is unfortunate, but like it or not this is EJ's pattern. I think Haywood needs to play 30 minutes a game and I think Caron, AD and AJ need to play about 34-35 not 40. There are minutes to be had with a bench that has shown nice talent and production. DMac needs to get a solid 5 minutes each half for a while till he produces and deserves more. We have seen what Young has done with rotation time. We can't discourage DMac. He is a hidden gem that just needs experience. I like his attitude. He looks for the solid pass before the solo shot. He bangs the boards. He helps on defense. He needs to be developed.

Mason's time comes from Stevenson's poor play. Except for swinging Caron up to the 2, the 2 position has little effect on DMac's minutes who is a 3 or and occasionally a 4.

Posted by: BmoreRev | December 6, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The Nets are healthy he's got a roster that has more firepower then your proposed deal would leave him to work with on the Wizards. And they're not winning.

Can't imagine anyone besides you and Rod Thorne that would love that deal.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"On the other hand DC - why talk about trading Gilbert Arenas at all...

A straight up trade: Jamison for Kidd works.

Posted by: Rook | December 6, 2007 04:48 PM "

That's the gist of my point. To consider all angles, discuss it, and come up with likely scenarios, especially since I think JKidd can help Les BouleS. Just to poo poo an idea from the start, like many here like to do, defeats the purpose of posting on a blog.

Even if you say that NJ would get an "explosive young scoring guard," that comes with a lot of risk. Nevermind injury, but also being able to gel with two other big egoes on the team with VC and RJ.

The advantage in two years is that JKidd's contract will be expiring and coming off the books too, unlike a long term deal with Gilby. Les BouleS have been muddling along in mediocrity these past 3 seasons. Playoffs in the bad east, yes, championship contender, no.

NJ is probably more anxious to get rid of JKidd than Les BouleS is to get rid of Gilby. Given that, multiple trade scenarios could be considered including getting their draft pick from next year along with the other two bigs that I mentioned.

NJ probably wouldn't be interested in a straight up JKIdd for AJ deal. Maybe a JKidd for AJ and DS deal would work numerically, but this team does not have enough depth and experience in the paint to not get a big with experience in return.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"It appears to me that 88'er you're the only one that thinks this is a great deal for the Wizards.

Arenas and Jamison and we get to take Maglorie in the deal whom we didn't even take a sniff at last summer when he could be had for nothing?"

Last I checked, Magloire had no interest in joining Les BouleS when he was a free agent. He'd obviously rather play with JKidd than Gilby.

"So in effect this deal boils down to Jamison and Arenas for Kidd. I wouldn't even count Boone bacause he hasn't gotten off the bench enough to know what he'd count for."

So how deep did Les BouleS go in the playoffs again last year and the year before to make it seem like AJ and Gilby are untouchable? Oh, and JKidd did go to the east finals.

"Even if Arenas and Jamison both sign some where else the Wiz wouldn't be left with nothing, they'd have 29m of cap space to work with and a young core led by Butler.
Possibly a very attactive destination for FA's. And most FA movement today consists of sign and trades so Grunfeld holds alot of cards going into next summer."

Oh sure, you have 29 mil in cap space and everyone will want to come to Les BouleS, and VC, the mecca of b-ball? That's something to look forward to when starting from scratch.

"Your fawning about Kidd is ignoring the obvoius, the guy's skills are in decline."

I'm sure a lot of PG's in the NBA wish their skills were in decline like JKidd's as he's almost averaging a triple double so far this season. I guess when you play both ends of the court with heart and passion, that tends to wear you down. I'm sure the young bucks on this team wouldn't be able to learn anything from someone like JKidd.

"The Nets are healthy he's got a roster that has more firepower then your proposed deal would leave him to work with on the Wizards. And they're not winning"

Yeah, the nets are so healthy that VC can be called the next Cal Ripken. Take a look at the standings. Les BouleS are 9-9, while NJ is 9-10.

"If he's trying toforce anything it'll be to an instant title contender, I can't see that your deal creates that. Why would he possibly sign off on such a one sided deal? He's not going to want to spend his final years in the league playing mentor to a bunch of kids."

I didn't know JKidd has a no trade clause in his contract. Also, he only requested a 1 year extension, 10 mil. Much cheaper than spending 100 mil on Gilby.

"Your roster that you put together would render Daniels a high paid towel waver. Haywood would have somebody new to fight with at practice in Maglorie who doesn't fit this offense at all. Have any doubts about that catch a Nets game."

I hope you're not considering AD a starting PG in this league that will take a team anywhere. As much as he tries to produce, AD is a backup PG in this league. Check last year's playoffs.

BTH would stay at center. Magloire would be at the 4, maybe even giving AB a chance to start at the 4 where he belongs.

"How would Eddie find the minutes for Blatche, Boone, Pecherov, Songaila, and McGuire. And would anybody set up to be the starting power forward?"

Last I checked, this team is shorthanded.

"Can't imagine anyone besides you and Rod Thorne that would love that deal.

Posted by: GM | December 6, 2007 05:42 PM ""

Not surprised that you would be content with status quo.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 6, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse