Roger Mason Jr. starts

It wasn't made official until just before tip-off but Roger Mason Jr. started in place of rookie Nick Young tonight against Atlanta. In his usual 6 p.m. chat with media before the game, Coach Eddie Jordan talked generally about what his thinking was when making the decision.

"The first thing you look at is past performances and it's just not about making shots," Jordan said. "It's about how you perform and how you execute, how hard you work, if you're trying, giving effort. We knew that Nick was going to have some bumps along the way. Now, do those bumps warrant a move to the bench or, is it he's making progress and you don't want to hurt his confidence? So, several things factor into it."

It is the first start as a Wizard for Mason and fourth of his career. It should be a big night for a kid who grew up in the area and played at UVA but Roger is also dealing with some personal pain right now. His grandfather, Frank Mason, passed away on Tuesday and the funeral is tomorrow here in DC. Roger will not fly with the team to Indianapolis tonight but said he will get into town in time to play against the Pacers tomorrow night.

By Ivan Carter |  December 21, 2007; 7:14 PM ET
Previous: Ugly 2 Q equals loss | Next: The 'Could've Been' Hawks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Roger Mason has to start making his open shots. He gets plenty of wide open three's every game and he misses most of them. In his last three games he's shot 25, 20 and 40% from the 3. Gotta get better than that. They need him to drain that 3. We don't want him to turn into another Jarvis Hayes.

Posted by: Steve (Springfield, VA) | December 21, 2007 8:08 PM

For right now Nick Young seems to be better off the bench. Perhaps next time he starts he will be more ready for it.

Nice to see McGuire getting some good minutes in the first half.

Also, I don't know what has happened to Blatche lately. His game has seemed to deteriorate as others have mentioned. We really need him to produce more.

Posted by: Tim | December 21, 2007 8:19 PM

What a back and forth game. I give Anthony Johnson a lot of the credit for the Hawks recent success. He's like their Antonio Daniels.

Young hasn't been bad in returning to his role of scorer off the bench.

But to win, Tuff Juice needs to takeover the 4th quarter. 7 points so far?

Let's go Wizards.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | December 21, 2007 8:58 PM

It seems like Atlanta has done more positive things in this game.

It would be a good win for the Wiz if they can get it.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 9:13 PM

Good game so far. I would love for Caron to start taking over though. Truth is right Anthony Johnson has been huge for them. Lets go Wiz!

Posted by: VB | December 21, 2007 9:17 PM

This team doesn't need anyone to take over. This team needs a solid PG that can control the tempo of the game and keep everyone playing like a team.

As every game is played without AD in the lineup, it shows how foolish Abe and EG were to not bring in more PG help. This team won't go far relying on shooting guards to run the show. I really hope AD comes back soon, and for sure, this team needs to draft a solid PG come draft time next year. Team looks out of sync.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 9:20 PM

Maybe you didn't hear, but our starting PG had knee surgery earlier this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 9:24 PM

"Maybe you didn't hear, but our starting PG had knee surgery earlier this year.

Posted by: | December 21, 2007 09:24 PM "

Maybe you didn't see, but he's not a real point guard.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 9:30 PM

Nick Young pulled his wang out on that one late drive on Childress. Tough loss, but I still love the raw talent Young shows, and the gritty, never say die team we have the pleasure of watching this year. Glad to see a Wizards team that tries their hardest no matter how many bad breaks they get.

Posted by: VB | December 21, 2007 9:34 PM

Good job EJ! Plus 17 second chance points for Atlanta. Small Ball is back!!!! Where's BH?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 9:37 PM

*ahem* *ahem* *ahem*
mii, mii, mii, miiiiiiiiii

On the 12th day of Christmas
my hero Gilby gave to me:

12 40pt games

11 Happy teammates

10 Hot hibachis

9 Halo titles

8 Sweet Gil Zeros

7 Reasons to live

6 Assists per game

5 Funny quotes

4 Point play

3 Time All-Star

2 League records

and memories of a game winning 3!

BHA HA HA!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays bloggers!
And to all a win over the Pacers!
BWA HA HA!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 9:41 PM

Near the end of the game, Jamison chose to stick near the basket and allowed Josh Childress to shoot a open 3. Childress made it with less than 24 sec left on the clock, which forced Wizards to come up with 3 pts somehow and limited their option. I think that's a pivotal play of the game.

I like Mike Wilks. He is quick and hogs the opponent's ball handler. Of course, it is difficult to ask him to know the offense well enough to run it. I hope he can learn it quick.

Posted by: Sagaliba | December 21, 2007 9:41 PM

Sorry, it was Josh Smith qho made the 3 pointer, not Josh Childress.

Posted by: Sagaliba | December 21, 2007 9:45 PM

The early and inconclusive deduction drawn from the injuries this season is that this team misses Antonio Daniels more than they miss Gilbert Arenas. The paradox is that Gilbert possesses the greater talent of the two.
Beating Atlanta is not a give me, they are starting to develop a pool of raw talent, and may present Orlando and the Wiz a considerable challenge this year.

Posted by: myshkin | December 21, 2007 9:49 PM

Wilks, as much of a benefit he may be to bring up the ball, he's an extreme liability on the defense and offensive end. Just a non factor at only 5-10.

This team may get kudos for gritting this game out, but there was little passing and ball rotation. Whenever you see AJ take a lot of dipsy doo shots, you can count on the team being in big trouble. There's really no inside/low post offensive presence on the team right now, nevermind a court general with AD out.

AB was definitely not in the flow of the game with only 10 minutes. All in all, a great win for Atlanta, a tough loss for Les BouleS. Hopefully, the guys will regroup after taking a well deserved break these next couple of days, b/c they've been working like dogs from being undermanned.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 9:53 PM

Poor, pitiful DCTroll....all alone and dateless on a Friday night.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 9:53 PM

"Poor, pitiful DCTroll....all alone and dateless on a Friday night.

Posted by: | December 21, 2007 09:53 PM "

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

This coming from someone who's also posting on this blog late friday evening.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 9:59 PM

Man who behaves like an ass will be the butt of those who crack jokes.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 10:11 PM

Wizards travel to Indiana for game tomorrow. No break these next couple of days.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 10:15 PM

"Man who behaves like an ass will be the butt of those who crack jokes.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 10:11 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 10:24 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 10:31 PM

"Yes, I may be posting late at night but I'm at home with my girlfriend....and we are laughing at you.

Posted by: | December 21, 2007 10:31 PM "

Yeah sure.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 10:37 PM

No, he's right. We ARE laughing at you, douchebag88.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 10:45 PM

"No, he's right. We ARE laughing at you, douchebag88.

Posted by: | December 21, 2007 10:45 PM "

Yeah sure. Sounds like two f@gs to me.

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 10:46 PM

Anon 9:37pm hit the nail on the head. Way too many 2nd chance points for Atlanta. But it wasn't due only to small ball. At least half of Atlanta's offensive rebounds were garnered when BTH or AB were on the floor. CB seemed out of the flow tonight...

Posted by: PK1 | December 21, 2007 10:53 PM

I would like to apologize for being such a jackass. After considering my recent posts, I have come to realize that I am, in fact, 100% gay--and the reason I constantly lash out at the world is that I have been unable to come to terms with my sexuality. Since I have no friends or other support network of any kind, due to the fact that I constantly act like such a douchebag, I feel most comfortable coming out of the closet on this forum.

I'm still struggling with being a flaming homosexual, so I may still occasionally act like a jerk, and may even deny that I am a cross-dressing queen. I hope you all will support me in this trying time in my life. Lastly I'd like to apologize to Gil and his family for all the totally offbase, awful things I've said about him and his family. I understand he will never return my homo man crush, and am working on dealing with that. Thank you. -DC Man88

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 10:59 PM

DC Man88 drinks his own pee.

Posted by: Howard Rhodes | December 21, 2007 11:05 PM

I'm still struggling with being a flaming homosexual, so I may still occasionally act like a jerk, and may even deny that I am a cross-dressing queen. I hope you all will support me in this trying time in my life. Lastly I'd like to apologize to Gil and his family for all the totally offbase, awful things I've said about him and his family. I understand he will never return my homo man crush, and am working on dealing with that. Thank you. -anon

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:06 PM

We drink our own pe#.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:07 PM

Don't worry about being wrong, just remember: DC Man88 who shoot off mouth, must expect to lose face.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:08 PM

"We drink our own pe#."

Pe# is actually very refreshing. Much better than pee. Which you drink.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:19 PM

Don't worry about being wrong, just remember: anon who shoot off mouth, must expect to lose face.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:20 PM

DC Man88 who throws dirt is losing ground.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:22 PM

You know what? When stuff goes bad it goes bad. I just broke up with my girlfriend and I don't get to see my kids for a while because of the breakup.

That happened right before those two games last week. I was so happy, went out and performed well with 30 and 11 and came back the next night with 28 and I was thinking, "Oh yeah, it was her that was bringing my spirits down..."

Now she's back in California. You ask for space, you know, because everything feels closed in ... the house is dirty, the kids are drawing on the walls and on the couches and you're thinking, "Oh man, I can't do this. I'm not playing well and I'm coming home to all this."

So you ask for space and now you got clean walls, clean furniture and you're lonely.

And now you got to sit out three months. Oh man. I guess it has to get bad so it can get good.

-------------------------------------------

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | December 21, 2007 11:23 PM

Pee# is actually very refreshing.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:25 PM

Smallball does us in again. AB and BTH played a total of 36 minutes. This is exactly the kind of team they would have been effective against.

Posted by: mark | December 21, 2007 11:25 PM

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

-------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:26 PM

"Only you care. I will continue to post, which gives you your only reason to exist."

DC Man88 who live in glass house, should change in basement.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:29 PM

Gilbert would have won this game for us. I think he could have gone for 70 points against the Hawks. Maybe even gotten a quadruple double, with his injured knee, no less.

Posted by: mark | December 21, 2007 11:31 PM

I am dead, don't listen to me.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:32 PM

Dead is only a state of mind grasshopper. I respect your determination. Do not take personal.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:34 PM

Dead people don't talk, and especially don't type on the internet blog. Ignore me.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:38 PM

Sooner or later DC Man88 will sit on tack and get point.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:38 PM

"Sooner or later DC Man88 will sit on tack and get point.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:38 PM "

I speak from personal experience. Very personal.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:41 PM

Can someone give me a hug or some advice? I just found out that my dad is gay.

Posted by: mark | December 21, 2007 11:42 PM

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:45 PM

BTW sorry mark is collateral damage. I assure you that I am not mark.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:46 PM

"Ha ha well played grasshopper. You are off the wall. DC Man88 with penis in peanut butter jar, is f-ing nuts.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:45 PM "

I love to lick things covered with peanut butter.

Posted by: Confucious | December 21, 2007 11:47 PM

"BTW sorry mark is collateral damage. I assure you that I am not mark.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:46 PM "

I am not mark, but I would love to be in mark.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:49 PM

Uhh yeah....DC Man88 who leap off cliff jump to conclusion

Posted by: Confucious | December 21, 2007 11:49 PM

Who mark. Is mark DC Man88's father?

Posted by: Confucious | December 21, 2007 11:52 PM

"Uhh yeah....DC Man88 who leap off cliff jump to conclusion

Posted by: Confucious | December 21, 2007 11:49 PM "

I wish I could leap, but my meniscus is bothering me. Does someone have a parachute or mountain bike I can borrow?

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:53 PM

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:57 PM

Look at the blog tear Confucius has been on. Confucius is the man!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:58 PM

"Who mark. Is mark DC Man88's father?

Posted by: Confucious | December 21, 2007 11:52 PM "

I remember. mark was my husband who is now my wife.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:58 PM

"Hmmmm, more DC Man88 cheap shots at Gilbert. Seems Gilbert hurt himself playing his best for the Wizards. Is DC Man88 not a Wizards fan? If he is it reminds of an old truth: DC Man88 with hand in pocket all day not crazy, just feeling nuts.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:57 PM "

Feeling nuts is not good. That's the trick Laura used to get 2 kids out of Gilbert.

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:59 PM

"Look at the blog tear Confucius has been on. Confucius is the man!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Confucius | December 21, 2007 11:58 PM "

Sometimes I am man, sometimes I am mark. Very different.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:00 AM

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:01 AM

not go, but do. Confucius drank too much sake at his christmas party.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:04 AM

"HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! VERY good response, go you wish to continue here or on the new blog?

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:01 AM "

My endurance is infinite, as is mark's mom's ability to swallow.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:05 AM

"not go, but do. Confucius drank too much sake at his christmas party.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:04 AM "

Correction. Sake is Japanese. I am Chinese. I drink rice wine. I f@ck Japanese women.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:06 AM

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:11 AM

Can you guys please stop with the spam and posting under fake names? It's better to just go anon than to fake someone's name.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 22, 2007 12:16 AM

What's with Caron lately? Yeah, he had a triple double the other night, but he didn't shoot well and failed to take over offensively when it was called for. Ditto for tonight.

I think he's a great player, but he lacks the ability to take over on a consistent basis. Maybe this "better without Gilbert" talk will finally start to end.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 22, 2007 12:18 AM

I am the real Confucius, I really can't help it if someone else is posting under my name.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 22, 2007 12:20 AM

Doubtful. Some like Gilbert, some don't. I think it is clear that someone needs to take over for this team in crunch time. Caron HAS to be that guy. Take over dude.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:23 AM

"Good catch. You are worthy grasshopper. Speaking of Japanese women did you know that man with tool in woman's mouth not necessarily dentist.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:11 AM "

Man with tool in woman's vagina not necessarily OB/GYN. Could be your neighbor.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:24 AM

Confucius thought he heard everything, until he heard that.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:25 AM

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:27 AM

"Confucius thought he heard everything, until he heard that.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:25 AM "

Confucius comes full circle and realizes he's still a grasshopper.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:28 AM

Confucius say all are grasshopper, but remember two wrongs not make right, but two rights make U-turn.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:37 AM

"Oh and Confucius thinks basketball is the best athletic contest ever because baseball wrong. Man with four balls not able to walk.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:27 AM "

Basketball is not so good sport. Should be renamed Blue Ball. Five guys play with ball. Only one guy can shoot in hole. Other 4 guys can only watch.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:44 AM

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.

Lets bash the Pacers. Lets go Wizards!!

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:45 AM

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:55 AM

obviously someone is posting using my handle. nice try, idiot. You're the only one stupid enough to believe that anyone will fall for it. what's wrong? trying to deflect some of the abuse you've been taking?

Posted by: real mark | December 22, 2007 9:14 AM

confucious is right. he's not me but he has some pretty darn good quotes. like i said, nice try idiot.

Posted by: real mark | December 22, 2007 9:15 AM

The only "problem" with CB lately, is all the double teams he is receiving. The bigger problem with the way the Wiz are playing lately, is the poor play of BH and AB. Neither of them are used to playing the kind of mins EJ has been giving them and they both look worn out. AB in particular looks like he is not in very good shape compared to the competition he up against at the 4 and 5 spots.

Maybe this wouldn't be a bad year to be in the lottery...

Posted by: oddjob | December 22, 2007 12:01 PM

"Good night all, remember man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly fingers. The Pacers looked like a trash team tonight, so we should bash them. DC Man88 , its been fun.

Posted by: Confucius | December 22, 2007 12:55 AM "

Strange. I wake up and my upper lip smells like pooh, and the dog is smiling. why?

Posted by: real mark | December 22, 2007 1:17 PM