Catching Up With Kevin Durant w/Sonics Side Dishes

For the second time in the past two years, Kevin Durant stepped into the Verizon Center hoping that the Washington Wizards, his hometown team, would lose. He didn't have much luck on Sunday, as the rookie and his Seattle SuperSonics were on the receiving end of a 22-point beatdown.

But back in April 2006, when Durant was a high school senior and a huge LeBron James fan, he was almost ready to leave his seat and rush the court to celebrate after Cleveland guard Damon Jones's long jumper ended the Wizards' season in the first round of the playoffs. "I was a Wizards fan, Bullets fan, growing up," Durant said, "but I wanted LeBron to win that one."

One day, I'll get a win in this building.(Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

On Tuesday, Durant will be rooting against LeBron and the Cavaliers, as he will face his one-time idol for the first time in Cleveland. Durant will also be looking to rebound from a less-than-heroic return to the D.C. area, where he scored as many points as his age (19), and shot just 7-for-21 from the field. He has already learned that it does no good to dwell on losses for too long in this league. "It was a tough night, but you got to focus on the next game," he said.

Durant has had the rookie of the year award wrapped up ever since Greg Oden had microfracture surgery prior to this season. Although Durant wishes that Oden was playing a few miles down I-5 in Portland this season, the absence of the No. 1 pick has given Durant the chance to establish his own identity in the league.

"Without him here, it's kind of different," Durant said on Sunday before playing his first professional game in front his hometown fans. "Going through the college season, the draft process, it was always me and Greg Oden. 'Who's going to be No. 1?' Or 'Who's better?' Or whatever. You don't hear that now. We got a little monkey off our back a little bit with them always comparing us, trying to put us against each other."

Despite being the focus of opposing teams' defenses all season, Durant is averaging 19.9 points - more than double the scoring output of every rookie except Milwaukee's Yi Jianlian. "When I came in, I had a mind set that I'm going to contribute to the team right away. That's what I want to do," Durant said. "I try to tell myself not to get down on myself and if I have a bad game, not to blame it on being a rookie. I just try to go out and play my hardest and have fun."

The No. 2 pick from last summer's draft is still the width of a No. 2 pencil but he has grown tremendously since he made his NBA debut on Oct. 31. It may not have looked like it on Sunday as Durant was clanking three-pointers or missing bunnies near the basket. But trust me, Durant has started to figure that being open doesn't always mean that he should shoot, and that he doesn't have to camp out on the perimeter no matter how smooth his jump shot looks.

In the seven games prior to Sunday, Durant had made 47 percent (50-for-106) of his shots. Through his first 24 games, Durant had shot 39.4 percent (168 of 424) from the field and developed a reputation as an undisciplined chucker. That is changing.

"I think I'm a smarter player," he said. "From the first game to now, I'm being more patient on the floor. I'm taking better shots. When I first started, I was just shooting the ball. The game is slowing down for me now. I'm starting to notice how I can score and where I can score."

Kevin, you've got the green light. Don't run through the red ones. Okay, Coach. No problem. Nah, I'm not about to choke you. I'm just giving my shooting hand a rest. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

Sonics Coach P.J. Carlesimo, who decided to play the 6-10 wunderkind at shooting guard, said this was part of the plan: Give Durant a long leash and hope he figures it out. "For Kevin, he's been a volume shooter and a big-time scorer throughout his career. He's had the green light early," Carlesimo said. "We've brought it back some. For somebody who's had it like that, we needed to err on him being aggressive and overly aggressive and maybe taking too many shots that we don't want him to take [in the future]. But he's learning."

Durant has had a rough introduction to the league, as Seattle lost its first eight games of the season. The Sonics won the next two games - including Durant hitting his first game-winning, buzzer-beater on the road in Atlanta - only to lose the next six. But after that 2-14 start, the Sonics have gone 7-10. "We're not having the best season, but we're playing hard and getting better evey night," Durant said. "Since we lost those [eight] games in a row, we've done a good job of playing harder and pulling out some of those games. Things come with time, so we'll be all right."

Shrewd Move
The situation in Seattle may look bleak now - and I'm not talking about the Sonics' possible relocation to Oklahoma City, only the team's spot in the Western Conference standings - but the foundation is being set for this team to be really good down the road. With Durant and Jeff Green in the fold, those are great building blocks.

But Sam Presti, the league's youngest general manager, made one of the most underrated moves of the offseason when he completed a sign-and-trade that sent Rashard Lewis to Orlando for a conditional second-round pick and a salary cap exception worth $9 million. That might not sound like much, but Presti knew that the Phoenix Suns were looking to cut salary, so he used about $8 million of that trade exception to acquire Kurt Thomas and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Think about that. The Sonics used Lewis - a player they had no intention to sign for the ridiculous amount of money Orlando gave him - to get two first round picks, a second round pick, Thomas and about $1 million in a trade exception that could possibly help another team get under the cap. Thomas has been a great addition to the Sonics, providing a veteran mentor for the young team. He is averaging 9.8 rebounds to help Seattle become the best rebounding team in the NBA.

Yo, Amare. I bet you guys could use me in the playoffs.(AP Photo/Paul Connors)

But the story may not end there. The Sonics don't have any intention of trading Thomas right now. They are content with having the 13-year veteran finish out the season in Seattle, but Thomas could easily be flipped into more assets near the trade deadline. Think any playoff contenders could use a rugged rebounder and defender?

Thomas has had a great attitude about going from a championship contender to a rebuilding situation. He said he doesn't know if he will finish the season in Seattle but hasn't given it much thought. "You never know what the Sonics are looking to do. I'm a free agent at the end of this season, but if the opportunity is there, I'll make the best of it," Thomas said. "You play to get into the postseason, but changes happen. You just keep your head up and play through it."

At 35, Thomas is one of the older players in the league, but doesn't plan on putting away the high tops after this season or next. "I want to play 15 years," he said.

The Good Life
Kanye West doesn't have anything on Sonics reserve point guard Delonte West. To Kanye, the good life feels like N.Y., Summertime Chi, ahh. To Delonte, it feels like sleeping on a little twin bed in his mother's basement in Brandywine.

I don't know if most people know this or not, but Delonte West is one of the funniest dudes in the NBA. I don't think he intends on most of his stuff being funny, but I laughed during half of my conversations with him on Sunday.

Delonte said he stayed at home so that he could spend some time with his mother and his brother and his brother's family. But he added that the home is the hang out spot for family and friends, so there are rarely fewer than 15 people at the house most of the time. But being part of the excitement meant that West had to lay his head on the same twin bed he grew up sleeping in. "Don't nothing change here. Same room. Same 19-inch TV," said West, adding that his television didn't even have cable.

But he's 6-3, wasn't that twin bed a little small? "I'm very use to sleeping in tight quarters."

But why not sleep in a nice hotel and visit the fam for a few hours? "You always have ways of keeping yourself humble."

I asked Delonte how he felt about seeing his former team - Boston - get off to one of the best starts in NBA history. "Well, my former teammates, most of them are in Minnesota. Maybe one, two teammates is in Boston," West said, sort of correcting me. "But I'm happy for the organization. Being a part of the city for three years, knowing how much they embrace their sports."

I know you're watching me, Gerald. But have you seen how our old team is doing up in Boston? (AP Photo/Jim Bryant)

West spent three seasons in Boston, going from winning 45 games as a rookie, to 33 down to 24 before he got traded on draft night, along with Jeff Green and Wally Szczerbiak, for Ray Allen. But things have changed in that town. "There is something special in the water up there in Boston. With the Red Sox, Patriots and the Celtics. The diehard Boston fans deserve to see those guys get the team back to perform where they are mentioned in the same sentences with the McHales and the Birds and guys of that nature, with so much rich tradition. But right now, I'm trying to get the PG Sonics back in effect in the Western Conference."

West said he had some special plans for this last night in Washington on Sunday. "I'm going to take a drive around the Beltway, get off on every exit, drive by and wave. Wave at everybody and keep on going," West said.

I'm sure it was just talk, but you never know with Delonte.

By Michael Lee |  January 7, 2008; 7:35 AM ET
Previous: Daniels in good shape, Gilbert speaks | Next: Being a pro

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

foist !

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2008 8:21 AM

The more I hear about this kid, the more I can't take him seriously.

Posted by: The Owl Wizard | January 7, 2008 8:21 AM

What do you mean, Owl Wizard?

Posted by: KD Fan | January 7, 2008 8:27 AM

Interesting Carlisemo is giving Durant a lot of leash. No one is going to seriously question that decision with a talent like Durant and a team like Seattle. The Lakers are starting to get some serious results from Bynum, they put the time in and it hurt them but now the investment is paying off.
The lesson is that to develop young players, Nick Young, Andre Blatche, DMac you have to find them serious playing time, that's going to hurt your W's in the short term but otherwise the chances are you may wind up wasting draft picks as they rot on the bench, turning into head cases and other teams reclamation jobs.
I'm glad EJ is finding more time for these youngsters but still not enough for my taste; big wins over Seattle and Miami must be accompanied by Jamison, Daniels and Butler sitting and watching these young guys take their lumps. The Wiz will be a better team come playoffs and may have a few less miles on the older and a few more on the younger legs on the team. It's not an easy balance for a coach to find and opens them up for criticism but I think the dividends are there for the taking if a team has prodigious raw talent. I think the Wiz may have that in Young and Blatche.

Posted by: myshkin | January 7, 2008 9:17 AM

Now that's a thought: how about Blatche at shooting guard?

Posted by: rgz | January 7, 2008 10:05 AM

Now that was a funny caption to that photo.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2008 10:07 AM

re. the story about the veterans rearranging Nick Young's, Dominic McGuire's and Andray Blatche's lockers due to too much joking around and casual attitude: LeBron James is 22 years old. Young uns don't have to take on his scowling visage, but his intensity and focus during the game are good things to emulate.

Posted by: rgz | January 7, 2008 10:46 AM

Well....This "Kid Delicious" character wasn't exactly a real Bullets fan growing up if he wanted LeBron to win that one, was he? Traitor.

Look, I'm all for giving the young players more time on the court to develop...but they've got to earn that time. Do you really think Eddie Jordan is going to be giving out minutes willy-nilly just because someone is a young and developing player?

He should not because it would make absolutely no sense and actually be detrimental to Nick Young and Andray Blatche themselves.

They have to be made to think that to get more run, they've to to work hard in practice and show the results of that hard work during their current limited time in the games. Basically, I'm pretty sure that Eddie will reward someone with playing time when it is warranted.

And you know who could use Kurt Thomas? The Wizards -- but it won't realistically happen, especially with Abe at the helm, Gilbert in the balance, and Ernie not willing to gamble any future pieces. And I'm fine with that.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | January 7, 2008 11:02 AM

I was at the game, and was actually more impressed with Green. Much more active, although he got into foul trouble pretty quickly. Contrary to the piece above, Durant did pretty much camp out on the perimeter, until the second team was in, and the game was out of hand. Not sure he got to the line at all in the first 3 quarters.

Posted by: AndNone | January 7, 2008 12:02 PM

Posted by: kalorama | January 7, 2008 1:16 PM

Is Durant really considered a local kid? He was in the area 2 years ago, but he doesn't seem like a prize pupil of local hoop fans. Why is ithat?

Posted by: DC | January 7, 2008 1:44 PM

I guess the problem is that most DC fans only root for the guys who go to college here or play for the local pro teams. It's hard for a guy who played high school to connect with an entire community, but if a guy played at Georgetown, Maryland or Virginia, then you have more people interested in them. I mean Rudy Gay is from Baltimore but people here hate him because he chose UConn over the Terps. Even guys who aren't from here but play college ball in the area get more love than dudes that are born and raised here. It's a shame though. KD is the future of the league and his hometown won't give him the love he deserves because he played college ball at Texas. At least folks in Austin and Seattle love him.

Posted by: KD Fan | January 7, 2008 2:09 PM

It's almost like the situation in Philadelphia, where the fans there booed Kobe Bryant when he won the all-star game MVP. I mean Kobe claims Philly all the time and he gets vilified when he should be praised every time he comes home. But Philly fans could care less because he represents LA and spent part of his youth in Italy.
On the other spectrum, you have LeBron James getting all sorts of love in Ohio because the Cavs were lucky enough to get the No. 1 pick in 2003. He can wear a Yankee cap, throw up the Roc and the kid from Akron might get a hard time, but they'll him so long as he makes them happy.
Durant really can't make fans here happy. I bet you if the SuperSonics get good and Durant and Jeff Green turn them into a contender, fans here will fawn over Green because he led Georgetown to the Final Four. I mean, Kevin gets his love from family and friends. Maybe that's all he needs.

Posted by: KD Fan | January 7, 2008 2:16 PM

I know the Wizards are talking about getting more serious in the locker room, but can they bring Delonte West here? Gilbert might be gone all year and West is a great backup point guard. He's a tough guy and has a great sense of humor without coming off as a clown. We will never be able to replace Gilbert, but it might be cool to add another funny personality - who can actually play - to the team. Just a thought.

Posted by: Resident Rodin | January 7, 2008 2:24 PM

KD Fan - Jeff Green isn't the best example as he is also local and didn't even play for one of the private prep schools as KD did.

As a Hyattsville native who went to E. Roosevelt for HS, I've definitely adopted the Sonics as my 2nd favorite NBA team. I'd love to see Green, Durant and West (and Wilcox too) lead the Sonics back into the elite.

Thanks for this blog post and given the extensive ties to the DC area, this reader would love to have more Seattle updates during the season rather than posts about the Bulls, Lakers, Kobe, etc. which tend to cover topics already heavily discussed at ESPN, SI and other national sporting news outlets.

Posted by: AC | January 7, 2008 2:33 PM

Is it just me or is Kevin Durant really just Jonathan Bender with the freedom to take all the shots he wants? What is all the hype about?

Posted by: Not a KD Fan | January 7, 2008 2:40 PM

"I know the Wizards are talking about getting more serious in the locker room, but can they bring Delonte West here?"

How would they do that, exactly?

Posted by: kalorama | January 7, 2008 2:43 PM

I didnt realize Durant wasnt receiving "the love" from DC because I'm a Washington resident and I'm very proud of him (and all the players from this area on the Sonics as well). I have a family member at Montrose Christian as well, so Kevin is a favorite with my family. But still, i'm going to go for the Wiz over the Sonics (they're second team to cheer for). Good luck Kevin.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2008 3:18 PM

kalorama, don't realize that Rodin is a thinker? Maybe he/she is still thinking. I wish I had the answer because West would be a nice pickup, but I can't see Seattle giving him up for nothing - and unfortunately the Wizards have nothing to offer. West is a restricted free agent next summer, though. You have to assume that he wants to return to the East Coast. Seattle is far, far from home.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2008 3:43 PM

Nice article but probably should have mentioned he played at Montrose Christian for Stu Vetter. Or the fact that he played with Greivis Vasquez his senior year there.

Posted by: MTO | January 7, 2008 3:56 PM

These features are great. Nice job Michael!

Posted by: miestersean | January 7, 2008 5:11 PM

When is that Vladimir Veremeenko dude that the wizards drafted in 06 gonna be on the team?
Anyone

Posted by: Anonymous | January 7, 2008 5:58 PM

"Plenty of teams could use Kurt Thomas, including the team that gave him away, Phoenix. The next time somebody complains about how Pollin will never build a contender without going over the luxury tax, look at the Suns. They spent all summer dumping salary and draft picks to stay under the tax threshold, yet they're back in the mix once again.

Posted by: kalorama | January 7, 2008 01:16 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 7, 2008 7:37 PM

From the Washington Post All Met Winter 2006 feature, on Kevin Durant:

"The transfer from Oak Hill is considered a likely NBA prospect"

Likely?

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think it would be interesting to ask Jon Dununzio what he was thinking when he wrote that. I don't think you could have further downplayed his potential.

Posted by: Wei | January 7, 2008 8:03 PM

"Kurt Thomas is one of the biggest overrated stiffs in the NBA. He's got decent rebs numbers, but that's about it. He was supposed to bring toughness to the Suns, and now he's with another team. They won't miss him."

Posted by: kalorma | January 7, 2008 10:31 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 7, 2008 07:37 PM

This comment is from someone who said Songaila plays "smart" because "he's white."

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 1:33 AM

KD Fan, the reason Philadelphia booed Kobe at the all-star game is because before the NBA Finals with the Lakers and 76ers the previous summer Kobe said he was going to rip out the 76ers heart or something to that effect. And the fact that Kobe was from the Merion era and still said that didn't go down to well with the Philly faithful. And frankly I didn't blame him, I would've booed him too.

Kalorama, I think if the Suns don't win the title and the window finally closes on their NBA championship dreams, Sarver will get more criticism being cheap (than Pollin will ever get) by dumping players and dumping first-round draft choices and he will deserve it. They have missed an opportunity at some good players by selling off these first-round choices.

And finally for Michael Lee, I hope you can keep us updated on the fate of the Sonics. To me it would be a terrible crime for them to leave a great NBA city like Seattle. And yet another blackmark on the most overrated commissioner in the history of sports, David Stern.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 8, 2008 1:50 AM

Kurt Thomas is a "flopper"...didn't you hear?

Posted by: oddjob | January 8, 2008 6:52 AM

"He did bring toughness to the Suns, as anyone who watched the playoff series between the Suns and Spurs could attest (esp. the game following the suspensions of Amare and Nash). They traded him (along with two future first round picks) for, essentially, nothing for no other reason than to avoid the luxury tax.

Posted by: kalorma | January 7, 2008 10:31 PM "

The only toughness I saw was Big Shot Bob throwing Nash into the stands like a rag doll and everybody on the Suns just watching.

Again, KT has decent rebound #'s, but he's way overrated.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 8:37 AM

Kurt Thomas brought an element to the Suns that they do lack this year. It's going to be even tougher for them to get past the Spurs without his physical play up front.

I'm not sure that I'd classify him as over rated, just overpaid for what he is at this point of his career. The Suns are in a real Luxury Tax pinch. So bad that they gave up a player that they badly needed to matchup with the Spurs and 2 1st round draft picks to get some releif.

Posted by: GM | January 8, 2008 10:22 AM

KD is learning how to play in the NBA right now. Did you see that baseline pull up jumper? It almost looked exactly how CB shoots it 2-3 times a game? Sure plenty of guys with lots of talent can make that move, but KD does it so effortlessly. What makes that and other moves so effortless is his quickness combined with his 6'9"+ length and elevation on the jumper. Once he gets more experience and achieves some more success, that level of comfort is going to make him unguardable.

Scoring at will and sharing the rock when teams commit too much to him will make him especially dangerous kind of like an extremely intense and taller TMac. He's just taking his lumps but you can see that talent is oozing big time. Green is a solid all around talent and knows how to play the game playing more college ball, but is nowhere the gifted player KD is and will be. In a year or two at his best position at the 3, KD be one of the toughest guys to play against and he'll keep getting better, defensively as well.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:12 AM

Let's talk tonight's game. (I can't help but look ahead to Celtics this weekend. I'm gonna check out what the hullabaloo is all about).

T-Mac is out. Yao is playing well. Wha'ts the defensive scheme this evening? Yao is really prone to tons of turnovers. The other guys are a rotating who-will-step-up-if-anyone. For example, Aaron Brooks, PG, came up and scored 22 off the bench against the Knicks.

I'm loving the new and improved BTH. i know he claims that nothing has changed, but the numbers speak for themselves. His down games are associated with low mpg. (not to say that he should always get 30-35 mpg...could be dictated by matchups, foul trouble, or how he's playing that night). he'll be important tonight. Stay out of foul trouble until the second half, Brendan!

Posted by: duk | January 8, 2008 11:22 AM

Also from the last blog post, I wanted to comment that the Bucks aren't that bad of a team, but a team that is in disarray, lacking toughness, and generally their better players bring too many similar things to the table. They do have some good talent on their roster, but are not playing well together at all. When most people watch that team, all they see is the sorry play not the level of talent available on the roster.

If the Bucks do gut that team due to lack of results and fan pressure, I think a smart scout or GM can find some very nice talented pieces to add to a good team without giving up too much. Sometimes when a team is desperately trying to change its outlook, another team can definitely swindle a talent or two with a trade/transaction. Look at how the Wiz/Grunfeld stole Caron when LA was desperate for a big man after Shaq left...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:36 AM

"Kalorama, I think if the Suns don't win the title and the window finally closes on their NBA championship dreams, Sarver will get more criticism being cheap (than Pollin will ever get) by dumping players and dumping first-round draft choices and he will deserve it."

No argument there, George. in fact, early in the season, Steve nash took some thinly veiled shots at the team's cost cutting measures. it remains to be seen how it all plays out, but part of my point was that, contrary to what certain individuals around here would like to believe, shooting past the luxury tax is not a requirement to bulding a legit contending team which the Suns still are.

"This could well be the last chance to get past the Spurs because of some of the contracts that they've given out and the age of their most of their core."

I think they've got a couple of years left yet, GM. Nash is still playing at a high level and since his game is not at all dependent on raw athleticism, losing a step really isn't an issue. As long as Hill can stay healthy (always a big if) he should also have a couple more good years in him. While he's 33 in real years, all those seasons of not playing in Orlando mean he's quite a bit younger in NBA years, having been spared several years of constant on-court pounding on his body. Bell is a spot up jumpshooter who was never particularly athletic to begin with. The rest of their core guys aren't that old. Marion's only 30, Amare, Barbosa, and Diaw are only 25.

Posted by: kalorama | January 8, 2008 11:47 AM

I'm sure the Suns are happy with the subtraction of Kurt Thomas with their addition of Grant Hill, who's doing really well so far.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 11:48 AM

Grant Hill is a well rested 35 year old.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 11:49 AM

Not a KD Fan are you serious? The kid is 19? Jonathan Bender lasted what 3 years. He might be a little overrated but Jonathan bender come on.

Once again DCMANN88 is clueless. The wizards and a lot of other teams would love to have Kurt Thomas on their team and the suns would love to have him back.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:51 AM

kurt thomas definitely better than Songalia

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 11:55 AM

we will beat Houston tnt!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 12:00 PM

Ivan watup??? Can we get an update on Pecherov. SO far he has been 2-4 weeks away forever. How you gonna put this quote in an article you wrote and not hook us up and let us know whats up?

"Pecherov, the team's first-round pick in the 2006 draft, could be in uniform tonight when the Wizards host the Houston Rockets. "

Give us something. Do you know if he is dressing tonight??

Posted by: LooseCannon | January 8, 2008 12:23 PM

I have a bad feeling Grant Hill is going to kill the Wiz tonight...

Posted by: oddjob | January 8, 2008 12:51 PM

"I have a bad feeling Grant Hill is going to kill the Wiz tonight..."
oddjob
_______________________________

what are you smoking on?? Grant Hill?

Posted by: LooseCannon | January 8, 2008 1:00 PM

that's odd (bad pun intended), but the Wiz don't play the Suns, Grant Hill, et al tonight...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 1:00 PM

sorry.....

we dont play him tonight

Posted by: LooseCannon | January 8, 2008 1:02 PM

what are you smoking on?? Grant Hill?

Posted by: LooseCannon | January 8, 2008 01:00 PM

Yes, what are you smoking on? PLEASE SHARE! :D

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 1:03 PM

Check out today's article by Ivan. He quotes players on the team, the veteran leaders, that want a more serious locker room before games. BTH is quoted also.

I wonder how they adjust when Gilby, the quirky one, starts acting up. Playing online blackjack during halftime, or shooting pool and missing the start of the 2nd half.

I know, I said we should stop talking about Gilby, but today's article is relevant to Gilby, because it seems like CBut and AJ want to establish a serious tone in the locker room.

BTW, just b/c Gilby is a good scorer does not excuse his quirky behavior. He should also lead by example.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 1:04 PM

""The biggest thing for a young guy coming to the NBA is to realize what it means to be a pro," Haywood said. "There are probably 400-something NBA players but only a certain amount of pros, guys who approach the game seriously. I'm one of the most fun-loving guys out there but when it comes time for business, I'm serious. You have to know the scouting reports, you have to know the plays, you have to have a routine. Right now, our young guys can't afford to be playing around like that because we're low on bodies and we need everyone to be productive.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 1:06 PM

Brendan Haywood giving advice on what it takes for a young player to have a professional attitude?

Hmmmm ....

Posted by: kalorama | January 8, 2008 1:15 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 1:41 PM

"Gilbert is quirky but he takes the game seriously. When it's time to play, he plays.

Posted by: | January 8, 2008 01:41 PM "

Except when he's consumed with online blackjack during half time while the team is talking strategy, or when he's engrossed into a game of pool and misses the start of the second half of the game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 2:39 PM

DCMan88, you were doing such a good job talking about basketball - that is valued by all here. The Gil obsession, rants, and personal attacks, however are tiring and really not good for you. Whoever you were getting professional help from, please go back for everyone's good - yours included. Really.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 8, 2008 3:25 PM

You missed your calling as a junior tarot card reader. Then again, you'd starve miserably.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 4:01 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 8, 2008 4:02 PM

It's too bad KD is on such a sorry team, but that's the way it goes when you're so high in the draft. Don't look for him to be able to salvage the sorry Sonics, but with any luck he'll head elsewhere as soon as humanly possible, to play alongside Lebron, D Wade, Duncan, or some other superstar worthy of his assistance.

Posted by: unconvinced | January 8, 2008 8:28 PM

As well as the Celtics are doing with Rajon Rondo at the point, Delonte West has much more intensity and passion, he is also a much better defender. We here in MA miss Delonte and hopefully he gets a chance to shine in Seattle as the team gets better. Watching all those seasons he played night in and night out made me notice he is one of the most underrated point guards in the league. With the right coaching that guy is going to be somebody!

Posted by: Western Mass representative | January 9, 2008 1:10 AM