Cavs game thread

It's cold here in Cleveland. Repeat: it is cold here in Cleveland. Wiz down 47-40 in the second as I write this but Nick Young did come up with the highlight of the season so far when he finished a fastbreak by taking off and throwing down a nasty one-handed dunk over LeBron James. If the kid had done that a few times earlier, he'd be in the dunk contest.

One note from before the game: Eddie spoke a little bit about the transition the team will undergo when Gilbert Arenas returns. Gilbert recently said that he's aiming for some time after the all-star break and would be open to coming off the bench if that's what he needs to do to not mess with the team's flow.

Eddie: "He's around, he sees what we're doing, he's mature and he knows after all is said and done with his blog and what he tells you guys, he's very realistic about where we are and where he's going to be. He knows that he's going to have to work in as far as getting his legs back with some practice time and then we'll make some decisions when he's ready to play. He's going to practice a significant time before he starts to play and when he's ready to play, we'll see whether coming off the bench is good for him and us but if I were to guess, I would say he's going to be a starter."

Jordan also said that he believes that Gilbert is sincere about not rushing back too quickly this time.

"He's not going to be premature. He's diligent with his rehab, he's disciplined with all of his therapy and he learned from the first time around taht going too hard, too fast, too much is not the right way to go."

By Ivan Carter  |  January 23, 2008; 7:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: My All-Star Ballot: Part II
Next: So much for the defense

Comments

I will just repost this from the last thread:

Posted by: George Templeton | January 23, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I was worried about this game. The Cavs have been playing as well as the Wizards lately. Michael Lee says they are currently the third best team in the East, no matter what their won-loss record is.

If GA can come back fully healthy this year for some regualr season games and the playoffs, we should all get to really see just how much he means to the Wizards (and end all the speculation).

Posted by: Tim | January 23, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Where is the D?

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is happening in the third quarter?

Posted by: George Templeton | January 23, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Geez, they forget the "d" after halftime.

Layup after layup after layup after layup.

Well, you have a couple of games like this each year.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 23, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope Butler and Jamison don't play a lot in the fourth quarter. They need the rest and the Wizards need to regroup.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 23, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Well at least DMac is getting some needed PT.

Posted by: Tim | January 23, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Good thing gil couldn't play in this game, who knows what the score could have been!

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mama said there'd be days like this.

Everything's working for the Cavs tonight. These things happen. It's just one night.

Ilgauskas has never done this well against the Wiz and BTH. I think it's an anomaly. Wait til next time.

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 23, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. Had hoped for a better effort than that.

Posted by: iceberg | January 23, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Wipeout... Z had a particularly nice line, time to regroup and play 'em strong in our house.

Posted by: khrabb | January 23, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Down 40 and the dog just puked on the couch. Dagger!

Posted by: Pauly B. | January 23, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Pauly B's dog takes the absence of D especially hard!

Posted by: 7snider7 | January 23, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Z couldn't be stopped. Luckily I fell asleep for the second half, but I'm glad NY posterized Lebron.

Looks like Les BouleS were on their heels after the 2nd quarter. Scrambling, but I think this will be good lesson learned come playoffs time. Cavs were at full strength and Varejao was very active.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Ouch

Posted by: Jason | January 23, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

What a complete meltdown. Embarrassing.
This was a game you have to be up for, CLE has been our nemesis for the past couple years and this is how you show? Disappointing.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Terrible game by Gilbert. Fire the coach.

Posted by: Tay Biltong | January 23, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

This is the most embarassing game I've ever witnessed as a Wizards fan. I mean ever. Absolutely atrocious and absolutely no reason for an NBA team to be beaten by almost 40 points. The defensive effort tonight was akin to the last couple of years. The offense was no where to be found. I mean, my God. Caron and AJ aren't getting any All Star consideration with performances like that. That's plain bad. No other words. How terrible can you be?

Posted by: Colin | January 23, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I think Abe should blow the team up and make Unseld the starting center again. Anybody got Bob Ferry's #?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

"I will just repost this from the last thread:

I see that Ilgauskas has 17 points already in this game and I see that Haywood is not on the floor. Given how well Haywood plays Ilgauskas, doesn anyone have an explanation as to why in the hell Haywood is not out there! He only has one foul!"

"How Haywood plays Ilgauskas...?" Are you kidding?! I can only assume you didn't see the beginning of the game. Ilgauska lit Haywood up like a Cuban cigar in the first quarter. He hit every shot he took (many of them wide open because Haywood was in the wrong spot of the floor defensively). Jordan sat him because he wasn't getting the job done. Of course it was too late by that point. Z was confident and rolling by then and nobody could stop him.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

That last one was me, BTW.

Posted by: kalorama | January 23, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

wow...they stunk up the joint every which way! They were just plain lethargic. Hopefully, it's just one of those games. I mean when Z is hitting turnaround jumpers you know it's not your night!

Couple of general concerns/comments.

1. Still not sold on NY. He seems too lackadaisical to me most nights and he almost never finishes at the rim. If he had Butler's fire, he could be a player. Guess the same can be said for Blatche. Hope some of Butler rubs off on them!

2. Not been impressed with Haywood's intensity of late. Seems to me he might be in one of his lulls even if his stats have not dipped drastically yet.

3. Songalia is playing terrible this year! He impressed me at the end of last year as a fundamentally sound banger with a nice set shot from 15 ft. This year he is a clumsy mess and takes multiple wild shots virtually every game. I think Arenas' return will help him get those open set shots again and get him back on track. I hope!

4. I have not been impressed with McGuire whatsoever to this point. You would think by now you would at least see flashes of what he can do in his limited action, but I've seen nothing but an athletic tall guy. He was getting a lot of props in the preseason so I guess I expected something by now. Anything. By comparison, NY has definitely shown flashes of promise in his limited action

Posted by: Rob P | January 24, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Well, thats another fine mess we've gotten in to. Who did you say should be an all star? Who on the Wizards?

All talk and no action make Wizards dull boys.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

anyone else notice that Haywood is coming down to earth. seems to coincide with the appearance of Etan.

Posted by: MD Man90 | January 24, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Missed the game last night, recorded on DVR to watch, judging by the comments and seeing the score don't think I'll bother.

Does look like Eddie threw in the towel and got some guys a little rest, sometimes chasing after a bad loss and holding down the gap is worse then just taking the blowout.

Guys need to get some rest, regroup and get back on track. And try to get a couple of more wins in the games coming up.

Pauly, make the dog watch from the floor if you see a blow out coming. Sure early sign, Eddie holding out both arms looking at the rafters as if he's expecting bench help from above. Get the dog on the floor or out the door, the Wiz are going to make him puke.

Posted by: GM | January 24, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh, And Colin, most embarassing game ever as a Wizards fan? Boy it must have been bad, in 41 years that I've watched they've laid some major eggs!

Watching Rod Strickland show up, buy two hotdogs from a vender and eat them during warmups and then hurl while setting up a play, now that was a Wizards lowpoint.

Posted by: GM | January 24, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

somtimes it be like that. BTH gave up a few open shots early to Z and then Z got hot. Mayb BTH was staying close to the basket to prevent penetration..?? By the time he figured out that it would be a good idea to guard Z, Z was hitting shots with his eyes closed. as soon as the cavs got confidence, game over.

Posted by: mark | January 24, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I've had a night to stew on the Wiz and the Caps losing.

Still disappointed...

This game still only counts as 1 loss, but its definitely checked as a bad loss, even though its against a good team...

Good Wins
Dallas
Boston
Boston
Dallas

Bad Losses
Philly
Memphis
Chicago (how we lost)
Atlanta (2nd str8 loss at home)
Indiana (3rd str8 loss)
Cleveland

Not including the first 8 games

Posted by: JSchon | January 24, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

"By the time he figured out that it would be a good idea to guard Z, Z was hitting shots with his eyes closed."

It's not like it was Ilguaskas's first game in the NBA. Unless he came into the game suffering from amnesia, Haywood should have known it'd be a good idea to guard Z from the opening tip.

I know he's your boy mark, but come on ... as excuses go that's some pretty weak sauce.

Posted by: kalorama | January 24, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

You saw it, I didn't kalorama so I will take your word for it. What I was talking about was previous performances where Haywood stopped Z but I guess it wasn't happening last night.
Even still when they got to halftime down 6, I felt pretty good about there chances. Take this tape, throw it away and put the game out of there mind.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 24, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't know where this notion of Haywood as an Ilgauska's stopper comes from. Yes, he's had some good games against Ilgauskas. He's also had some not so good games against him. The idea that Haywood somehow dominates Z all the time is wildly overblown.

Posted by: kalorama | January 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Z is still a serious player against anyone in the middle ... 7'3" fine interior passer, good positioning on the offensive glass, picks up lots of junk baskets, knows how to shoot an old-fashioned hook shot... in short, the classic European big guy... Brendan will use his agility to outplay him from time to time but no one is going to inevitably get the better of him.

Last night was just one of those games when the roof caves in. You kiss it off, give the bench players some game experience and try to come back strong.

So let's take out the Grizzlies at home and then go back to another Great Lake city and try not to make any mistakes against the Bucks. Bogut is playing well but he is not Z yet. 24-18 has a nice sound to it.

Posted by: khrabb | January 24, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

One way to take Z off his game is to make him work on the defensive end. BTH doesn't get enough plays called for him on that end to warrant Z getting overextended trying to guard him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 25, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

blgmqx rijfhmkey wzgrxn madhwotje wrhl jvkqstgix wscf

Posted by: hevjci tzfmbnciq | January 27, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

wfkvyos bnxwflkiy zwpa ojkdcxf edbcm jrxkg szcywdnal http://www.dmioezbpf.yehkot.com

Posted by: xhqvfc ehdvgrpy | January 27, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Hi

I`m new to this forum and I want to say hello to all the members!

Posted by: joehighz | February 12, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

rmlf rfvo lwhfearkq tdvwumkx feuxcrs efdhxvjwr hgqyetv

Posted by: lybzonxts xdjr | March 4, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

wark mlhetakj sebcgurdw vourk jqscknx gwjfutl prelvidsj http://www.osliknqu.ckbstn.com

Posted by: ywflsb dmyxqbt | March 4, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hello

I`m new to this forum and I want to say hello to all the members!

Posted by: michaelmcloud | March 9, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse