Great comeback, tough loss

With Michael Redd in street clothes, I felt that there was only one Milwaukee Buck who could hurt the Wizards yesterday and that is exactly who wound up turning the game. Mo Williams. I still remember the guy scoring 35 and nailing a long, game-winning triple at the buzzer at the VC two seasons ago and yesterday, Mo was at it again. He hit two huge triples in overtime and Royal Ivey then threw up a desperation 22-footer that put the game away.

Given the fact that Caron Butler was a monster, scoring a career-high 40 points in 51 minutes, you could argue that it was a game the WIz should have won. Then again, they were probably lucky to be in overtime given the fact that they trailed by 11 with 1:40 to go. Williams turned it over a couple of times, DeShawn Stevenson nailed a pair of threes and then Antawn Jamison and Butler stole offensive rebounds on missed free throws.

The fans inside the Bradley Center were not pleased at the meltdown and it was the first time I can remember hearing a team booed as a game went into OT. Anyway, after going up 99-95 in the extra session, the WIz got a little ragged. Butler was short on a contested three-pointer and the shot clock expired before Jamison could put it back in. Brendan Haywood missed short jumper and Stevenson missed badly on a three. Meanwhile the Wiz killer Mo was at it again, stroking those two big threes.

On the first, the got free because the Wiz messed up a defensive switch. I'm still not sure who did what but it appeared that Stevenson and Antonio Daniels failed to communicate on a dribble hand-off between Williams and Ivey and Williams broke free in the corner. As soon as he released the shot, I knew it was good. The second one appeared to be the result of a great screen by Andrew Bogut. Anyway, he made that one as well. Ivey's shot happened right in front of me and I swear the guy didn't even see the rim. The shot clock was going down and he chucked it up. It dropped. What are you gonna do?

Now, it will be key for the Wizards to bounce back with a win Tuesday night because the schedule is about to get rough. They got to Toronto Wednesday night, host a good Utah team Friday and host Kobe and Kwame on Super Bowl Sunday. After a game at Philly on Feb. 5, they host the Spurs and then embark on a four-game roadie with tilts at Denver, Phoenix, Golden State and the Clipps.

By Ivan Carter |  January 28, 2008; 6:49 AM ET
Previous: Redd out | Next: Gasol's Grizzly Grief

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

This is the kind of game we will look back on and wish we'd won. Again, DS seems to be the key, His inability to hit a shot was one of the things that cost us.
I didn't see the whole game but looking at Bogut's numbers, looks like he ate BTH's lunch.
I saw a bunch of open 3's at the end, too. How do you leave Mo open behind the line?

Posted by: mark | January 28, 2008 8:26 AM

During the season, you win some and lose some. What matters is the preparation for the playoffs. The minutes last night for CB, AJ and AD will take their toll. On the other hand, the bench held its own but got very few minutes.

Haven't we been to this party before?

Posted by: Izman | January 28, 2008 8:54 AM

Yea I was almost in shock when they came back. At the end I wasnt even mad they lost because I had given up with a minute and a half left. But then I thought about it and I was mad they lost. Should not have lost that one after being up 4 in OT. Tough one.

Posted by: LooseCannon | January 28, 2008 9:04 AM

Plain and simple the Wiz didn't deserve to win even with their comeback in the final minutes they wasted another stellar effort by Caron, they kept on leaving Mo Williams open all game long as if he was going to miss they got out rebounded and outhustled at every turn, so its no surprise they lost they had better be ready for Toronto because neither game will be easy its games like last night that they should win.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 28, 2008 9:28 AM

"The key to stopping the 1 and out routine is to go into the playoffs with strong starters and have 3 or 4 bench players who are ready to rule.

Posted by: Izman | January 28, 2008 08:54 AM "

Key also is doing well during the season so that you can feast on bottom feeders during the playoffs rather than get swept by the top seed (i.e. Cleveland).

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 9:30 AM

Tough loss. CB is really an All-Star! AD and AJ play is beginning to have a downward turn (especially AD, his TO is way up from his average). I can't wait for our PG comes back...should I say Gilbert? Where was AB in the 2nd half, should have played him more than DSong.

Posted by: Dave, | January 28, 2008 9:51 AM

This is a terrible loss. The Wizards have put together 3 straight bad games. I dont care that we won against MEM, we looked bad in doing it.

Our bench stunk it up against MIL, I dont what game you were watching Izman.
WAS Bench 4/10 12pts, 9rbs, 3ast, 4t
MIL Bench 13/24 37pts, 13rbs, 8ast

What is more alarming than the lack of production from our bench is the way our guards are being outplayed on both sides of the ball.

AD has logged in 99 minutes in the last 3 games he is a combined.
5/17 21pts 16ast 9 turnovers

That isnt going to get it done.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 9:51 AM

Come back, Gilbert. Come back! We could've used offense from somewhere other than Caron and Antawn last night. Why didn't the Wiz just lose in regulation? It might not have hurt so much.

Posted by: misguided bullets | January 28, 2008 10:24 AM

Les BouleS lost last night not because of offense, but because of poor perimeter defense:

Mo Williams - 25 pts
Royal Ivey - 18 pts
Charlie Bell - 22 pts
Awvee Storey - 8 pts

Grand Total: 73 pts

Gilby ain't gonna help that much with perimter D.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 10:31 AM

Let's just say that Gilbert D won't help the team but SURELY his offense will. Plus, AD didn't have one of his better games last night.

Posted by: Dave | January 28, 2008 10:56 AM

"Gilby ain't gonna help that much with perimter D."
DC Man88
----------
He'll be better than Daniels is right now. Look at Jamison's improvement on D.

Posted by: Donk | January 28, 2008 11:13 AM

continue to be baffled by EJ...he plays each game as if it is the 7th game in the playoffs. These starters can not maintain their health at the minutes he has them logging.
Also his move to "small ball" with in the pivot is obscene...the man can not run or jump. Would love to see the +/- when AS is in the game at 5. Withe AB and Ap what is AS doing playing the pivot, insane. I thought for sure he would be removed as the 6 point lead dwindled to a 4 point deficit, but no AS was out there to start the 4th. AB ate them up, and killed us on the boards, so much for BH 's more minutes, he can not handle them.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 28, 2008 11:16 AM

The team also can't win unless the starters play big minutes. There's no point saving the starters for a playoff run if saving the starters means they don't win enough games to make the playoffs.

Posted by: kalorama | January 28, 2008 11:21 AM

""These starters can not maintain their health at the minutes he has them logging."

Posted by: kalorama | January 28, 2008 11:21 AM "

This goes back to the argument a few months ago on why this team was too cheap to bring in a few people for 10 day contracts. Never mind bringing people in, this team didn't bother even working people out to see if anyone could help.

Notice nobody was brought in after the deadline came and pass for penalties on 10 day contracts. I think it was Jan. 10.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 11:28 AM

Who the heck is "AS"?
Blatche played very well in the first half. Ivan, any idea why he didn't see action in the second?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 28, 2008 11:28 AM

If JKidd goes to the Cavs, we can pretty much forget about going deep into the playoffs for awhile.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 11:32 AM

Is AD wearing down a bit? Is it time to give a ten-day to a hungry young point guard?

Does the Wizard bench need to take iron supplements (since EPO is illegal) or will a motivational speaker suffice (where are you when we need you, Chris Farley?).

One gets the feeling that some fundamental truths are about to be revealed regarding this very interesting Wizards team... and the answer (I think for better, some of you obviously think for worse) will only come when Gilbert Arenas returns.

In any case, Caron Butler surely made a timley statement to the coaches who will be marking their All-Star ballots today! What an effort against the Bucks!

Posted by: khrabb | January 28, 2008 11:36 AM

Mo Williams - 25 pts
Royal Ivey - 18 pts
Charlie Bell - 22 pts
Awvee Storey - 8 pts

Grand Total: 73 pts

Gilby ain't gonna help that much with perimter D.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 10:31 AM

Our perimeter defense was lousy, but having GA in there wouldve added scoring where is it wasnt coming from, the PG position.

Scoring 102 points in overtime against the 21st best defense is terrible.

They were without Redd and Villenueva.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 11:50 AM

AD is a great back up point guard, but thats all he is. 20 minutes a game, tops.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 12:10 PM

Keys to yesterday's lost. Smallball played way to long with Songalia at the 5 from the 4 minute mark in the 3rd quarter way down to the 6 min mark in the 4th quarter when he was FINALLY replaced with Haywood.

Where was AB? He had a great 1st Half? Songalia does not look like the same guy from last year. He looks even more slower and his jumper is not even hitting like last year. So my question is why did he get all of the critical minutes yesterday?

Lastly, the double down defense killed us once again. Why in the heck were they doubling Bogut (spelling???), thus leaving Mo and friends wide open looks at the three ball????? Why not play straight up man defense so you do not give PROFESSIONAL NBA guys wide open 3 ball looks that even the 12 man on any team could hit in their sleep?

Ivan. Could you please ask Eddie why Songalia(of all people) took ALL of AB's second half minutes in the game yesterday? Smallball, I can't stand it....!!!! Thanks....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | January 28, 2008 12:18 PM

"What are you talking about? Our guards went a combined 8 for 22 for 28pts from the floor, GA does that by himself. We relied too much on CB and AJ as usual. Our offense is bad when DS isnt hitting his shots. Then top it off with AD playing lousy and no bench, recipe for disaster.

Scoring 102 points in overtime against the 21st best defense is terrible.

They were without Redd and Villenueva.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 11:50 AM "

Why are you trying to talk to me when none of your posts make any sense and you said you were ignoring me?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 12:26 PM

Don't look now but the Wiz schedule from this week until March is a KILLER. I won't be surprise if we'll be the same boat as last year wherein we have to win the last few games just to make sure that we're in for the playoffs. I really think Raptors will past the wiz this week and you know the Bulls will make a push when Gordon and Deng returns. Atlanta is playing well and will not be surprise if they'll be seeded higher than the Wiz. For all the Gilbert haters here, wake up!!! We need him during the homestretch.

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw the smallball a whole lot and I really hate it. AB is a power forward and not a center and I think he and BH can coexist in the frontcourt.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | January 28, 2008 12:31 PM

I think Gilby coming back may be a shot in the arm for Les BouleS, but they may have to sell their soul to the devil b/c out the door will go team chemistry and defense built these last few months for this boost in offense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 12:40 PM

All I said was that no one really cares about you or your posts.

I, however, can not ignore stupidity. Thats why I respond to your post. Plus its fun proving you wrong with statistical evidence time and time again and having you respond with insults and your biased opinions.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 12:41 PM

You're a joke and ignorant and don't know anything about stats, and you prove it time and time again.

Go have a conversation with yourself since you think so highly of yourself. I'm sure you'll be amused.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 12:44 PM

You have alienated yourself to a point that you have become completely insignificant in this blog. People are indifferent to you, its like you arent even here, or alive.

Besides I'm not here to have conversations, I'm here to chime on my thoughts about all topics Wizards. I'm not looking for affirmation, acknowledgment or any type of response to my posts. I'm just a fan with a voice and opinion and this is my forum.

I keep you relevant Herb.

Why dont you infest the Mystics blog? I hear its looking for some real insight from a person just like you.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 12:54 PM

My High School basketball coach could coach a better NBA game than EJ. The coach is mediocre, the play is mediocre of-late.

Posted by: FIRE! EJ! | January 28, 2008 1:09 PM

I haven't seen EJ used an offense/defense substitution pattern during the last 2 minutes. We all know that AJ is not their best defender so why is he there during the last play for the Bucks? EJ is not a bad coach but sometime his coaching makes me scratch my head.

Posted by: Dave, | January 28, 2008 1:27 PM

Thanks for the information on the game fellas. I didn't see the whole thing, but I had figured AB wasn't a good matchup for Bogut and that's why he didn't play much. Coaching is so important now that the schedule is getting tougher and EJ can't afford to not use all the bullets in the arsenal if this team is going to keep it together during this tough February they face.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 28, 2008 1:52 PM

"See, thats where you are wrong DC Man88. You've been having conversations with yourself for a long time now, even i smoke doesnt talk to you.

I keep you relevant Herb.

Posted by: JSchon | January 28, 2008 12:54 PM "

Too bad I haven't alienated myself from you.

BTW, here's a hint. I could care less if I alienated myself from anyone else here. Take that to the bank.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 2:42 PM

JSchon = i smoke

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 2:52 PM

Fellas come on...the other NBA teams play their starters full blast the same. You guys sound like little weenies. Cryin about the starters playing too much, too long. Thats why they get the big bucks..
This IS the NBA love it or leave it.
Think about it.....guys "prayin" to just make it in the NBA.. You have no idea....Out of millions of kids dreaming this dream...only a few actually make it. Get over the whining...pray your team has "Road Warriors" "Gladiators" ready for battle. Only then are you ready to "rule"

Posted by: Sportstalk 980 | January 28, 2008 3:51 PM

JSchon - 1
DCMann - 0

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | January 28, 2008 4:02 PM

"JSchon - 1
DCMann - 0

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | January 28, 2008 04:02 PM "

You could score it:

JScon - 1 x 10e10000
DCMan88 - 0

Who cares what your tally is? I don't.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 28, 2008 4:06 PM

Slurp be tryin to sound half-normal these days.

But Slurp still be slurpin.

Big time.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 28, 2008 6:13 PM

Yes Caron and Antwan are playing too many minutes but what choice does EJ have? As far as your high school coach could do a better job than EJ,PLEASE!!!!!!!!! do you have any idea who the lot of knuckelheads we have had in this town before EJ Doug(i am MJ'S personal butt boy)Collins Leonard("He blew me away")Hamilton and last but not least Gar(my way or the highway)Heard.EJ has been saddled with a shoot first hard headed PG, a forward who is finally taking defense serious for the first time in his career and an all star forward who comes to play every night name one coach who can get more out of their players than EJ and no bench!!!!! I rest my case.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 28, 2008 6:29 PM

DC proud of you man,keep takin those meds!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 29, 2008 1:00 AM

Yeah, you keep taking your meds too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 29, 2008 10:21 AM

Ivan,
Is there any truth to the possibility that the Wiz may trade Gilbert for Elton Brand?

It just occured to me that if this trade happened, then maybe Eddie Jordan could convince Jason Kidd to accept a cheap contract to be part of Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Elton Brand combo.

Posted by: DCW | January 29, 2008 3:56 PM