I Do Believe What I Just Saw

Now that the New York Knicks have soundly defeated the team with the league's second-best record (Detroit) and the team (Washington) that beat in consecutive games the team with the NBA's best record (Boston), are the Knicks the best team in the league?

I know, stupid rhetorical question. I just couldn't think of another intro.

Anyway, you just had that feeling, didn't you? Even before I walked into the locker room on before the Wizards' 105-93 loss on Tuesday, I had a feeling that Wizards weren't going to be able to win their fourth in row.

Not that my gut was too reliable the night before in Boston. But the Wizards had expended a ton of energy and emotion to beat the Atlanta Hawks in overtime on Friday and the Celtics in back-to-back games. It was going to take some incredible will and determination to bring it with that kind of the force four times in a row.

This is a crazy 24 hours. We go from beating Boston to looking up to the Knicks? (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

It was sort of eerie when I looked around pregame and saw the Wizards players watching footage of the Knicks' 24-point trouncing of the Detroit Pistons on Sunday. Just like the Wizards, the Pistons had come into Madison Square Garden feeling pretty good about themselves.

But the Pistons were also pretty tired, since they were playing their fourth game in five nights in the fourth different city. The Pistons laid a Brontosaurus egg.

You know, everybody blames me for this mess. I fault the NBA schedule maker. If we got every team while they were playing their fourth game in five nights, we'd be just as good as Boston. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

Then, about an hour before tipoff, word got out that Antonio Daniels probably wasn't going to play. That, combined with the fact that Knicks were pretty well rested, made a Wizards loss seem a bit more inevitable.

I spoke to Daniels after the game. He said he "tweaked" his knee in the win against the Celtics. He had discussed possibly sitting out against the Knicks after the game, as he received treatment on his sore right knee. He had two more treatments on Tuesday, but after getting in uniform and trying to work out before the game, Daniels decided he needed to take a rest.

Daniels has said he'll be ready for the Knicks on Friday, but Coach Eddie Jordan wasn't ready to proclaim him ready. He could sit him again because after the rematch, the Wizards won't play again until Monday - which would give Daniels a full week of rest - but you have to figure Daniels wants to get back out there.

The Wizards are 14-7 when Daniels starts this season, but they weren't using any excuses after the game. Jordan definitely wasn't letting his second unit off the hook. Forced to put Roger Mason Jr. in the starting lineup, Jordan expected to get something from the young guys - Andray Blatche, Nick Young, Oleksiy "I Get Buckets" Pecherov and Dominic McGuire.

What did he get? Nothing much other than I Get Buckets, who scored a career-high nine points - all in the second quarter - in his third NBA game. Young, Blatche and McGuire combined to score three points on 1-for-9 shooting.

"We needed to get something from our bench," Jordan said. "We have five or six guys who didn't get a lot of minutes the last three games. We've got to get the last six guys to step up and play."

Give the Wizards credit, they didn't mail it in - even after they fell behind by 22 points - but in addition to the bench struggles, they were also unable to make the stops needed to sustain their runs.

The Wizards simply couldn't do anything with Jamal Crawford, who is one of the streakiest shooters in the NBA. He simply couldn't miss yesterday. Whether he was coming off screens, shooting off one foot, falling away or taking wide open looks, Crawford was on a roll.

Good D, Roger. I'm not missing this shot, though. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

The Knicks also had better balance, with six players scoring in double figures. Quentin Richardson looked like he was going to be the star of the night, when he hit his first five shots and scored 10 points in the first quarter. Richardson went 1 for 7 the rest of the night, but the Knicks were getting offense from all over. They were missing Stephon Marbury, who seems to be on the verge of shutting it down for the rest of the season with bone spurs, and they doubled the Wizards in assists, 26-13. Nate Robinson had eight off the bench himself.

I've really been down on the big man tandem of Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph, but their size and bulk posed some serious problems for the Wizards. They didn't shoot particularly well (10-for-23) and scored a combined 24 points, but if the Knicks hadn't been so lethal from beyond the arc, they probably could've went inside more.

"They have great personnel," Butler said of the Knicks.

But the Knicks are still last in the Atlantic Division at 11-26. we'll see how good that personnel is when the Wizards have two days to prepare.

By Michael Lee  |  January 16, 2008; 7:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I Do Not Believe What I Just Saw
Next: Kwame Time!

Comments

The bench laid another egg last night.

If anything they should be able to come in and out hustle everybody.

EJ give the starters a couple days off.

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Agree completely, writing was on the wall for this one. Only question is other than Mason, did EJ tell the 2nd unit it was going to be gametime for them. I know they should be ready to jump anytime but in truth they have not played the last three games and it probably would have been helpful to strongly state before the game that everyone gets minutes tonight and the win or losss hangs on them.

Pecherov is really going to be a major contributor this season. He just knows he belongs out there and could, in a fairly short period, surpass Darius for PT. Pech good be a model for the other youngsters, with focus and aggression comes playing time.

I remain high on Nick Young but he really needs to step up when he is in, too complacent of late. Not finising around the basket and not generally assertive enough. It should be clear to him that when he is in he needs to be getting shots up aggressively.

ok with DMac doing the intangibles and coming along a little slower.

Blatche is generally playing pretty well of late, mostly on D. Like Young, he needs to be more aggressive offensively and on the glass.

Hope EJ does hold AD out for the Friday rematch as well. If his knee is still tender he could use a full week's rest and this is the week for it.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 16, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry bad typo...

Pech could be a good model for the other youngsters, with focus and aggression comes playing time.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | January 16, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

4 games in five nights ended by a back to back on the road. Overall winning 3 out of 4 was about as good as a team could expect.

Pecherov did look good last night, that was the kind of game the whole bench really needed to step up if the Wiz was going to get it.

The guys came back and made a run at it, but their legs had to feel like cement last night.

Posted by: GM | January 16, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

He good be, he good be...

;)

I attribute the poor shooting to tired legs (for the vets) overall this team has really surpassed some expectations.

I would still love to get one of those great win streaks going, like portland had or the lakers. A sweet 7 game win streak where our bench wins a couple games when the vets are slowed would be awesome.

Posted by: g | January 16, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Looking at that photo of RM challenging Crawford's shot, there aint much you can do about that. He's one of those guys who can get hot and just kill you. I still remember him throwing the ball off the backboard and dunking it against us a couple years ago...in traffic. I'd chalk this up to tired legs and move on. On the bright side, IGB ( I Got Buckets) looks good. If we can slide IGB over to C and move AB down to PF, we're onto something. I think IGB may not have the foot speed to stay with quick PF's but definitly has a solid lower body and should be hard to post up.

Although I usually don't like Tom Knott's articles in the 'other Washington newspaper', he hits the nail right on the head without so much sarcasm today. I won't disrespect the Post by putting a link here but youse guys can check it out yourselves.

Posted by: mark | January 16, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I fully understand the will and desire to beat The Celtics twice.
But who among us, was not aware of the Knicks waiting in the wings the next night?
I love when the Wiz play ball, passing and running.
They obviously missed AD last night, as witnessed by just 13 assists. But the losing pattern occurs when they are not passing the ball, but taking quick jumpers. Isn't it the coaches forte to call time outs, and stress ball movement?
And overlooked in this recent great run, once again is the number of minutes the starters are accumulating. This will and is taking it's toll on the health of this team. Look out!
Can you imagine if AJ or CB go down, which is totally inevitable at this pace.
Also can AS look any more feeble than he has? He is lost, and it is time AP starts getting most of AS minutes.
Also agree that the bench. esp. AB and NY need to be more in the flow offensively.
Over all though, we have to be ecstatic with the play of the team...GO WIZ!

Posted by: mricklen | January 16, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

No big surprise last night unfortunately - the team was tired, the knicks were hot, and daniels was out. Even bad teams have good talent in the NBA, and the wiz didn't have it last night.

Couple of things: Pech did look pretty good last night - his 3 ball looks good, but I haven't seen him hit a mid-range shot so far. I'm a little concerned about that b/c he doesn't have the speed to drive around many folks so if they man up on him at the 3 line, he probably won't be getting many shots off. However, there is significant value in simply drawing out the opposing team's big man in terms of opening up the lane, etc.

On all the Gilbert talk, putting aside the fact that it is ridiculous to think that not having a player of his caliber playing is a good thing, the inarguable fact is that we are desperately thin at the one spot without Gilbert. We saw that tonight when the team had literally no one who could play the point with AD out.

cj

Posted by: charles jones | January 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Bad loss last night but I think they were a little bit fatigue from the past 3 very tight games they have.

To those people who were questioning on why we don't get any love from the media (ESPN, CNN and others) I think last night answered your question. We don't really have the consistency to play good games on a daily basis. If we lose to Toronto or to Cleveland that is fine but to the Knickerbockers! I know people will compare to the Detriot lose but please don't compare our team with the Piston since they been a great team for a decade now.

Are we still a better team without Gilbert? I DON'T THINK SO.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Just too many games in too many nights. How did the Knicks get such a favorable schedule? Playing consecutive teams on the last game of 4 games in 5 nights?

Posted by: Bart | January 16, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert must somehow be responsible for the schedule. Cut Gilbert !!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I won't dwell on the loss, but I will say something about defense - it could have been better. Our guys are sagging much too soon, much too far from the driving opponent. I saw one where the lil guy Robinson challenged Haywood, who just kept moving back. So what did Robinson do? - He kept driving in until he got layup - or foul I can't remember. Also Mason was two steps slow on D. Too much emphasis on help D, and not enough on staying in front of and close to the one being guarded. And when Blatche and Pecherov were on the court at the same time, they got a bit confused as to defensive position and man - maybe a bit more practice with this twin towers stuff?

Posted by: rgz | January 16, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The fact that RM started last night at the PG is a joke , but its our current situation right now. RM is no more than a role playing SG but he has to log in large miutes due to injury and NY not being ready to be consistent.

AB did look lost last night, maybe it was because he was getting moved around by either Curry or Randolph like a rag doll.

GA being out has already effected the rotation and AD being out completely screws it up.

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Recognizing that everyone was tired, and should have been, it's probably worth noting that Brendan Haywood was seriously down last night, and the Knicks had a lot of points down low.

Posted by: Bill Carr | January 16, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The biggest problem is they were without AD. Mason simply cannot run the point!

As for big man tandem, Wizards will always have problem with that, since you cannot expect Haywood to guard both at the same time. But last night was the shooting of Crawford and Robinson (and Stevenson lost his) that did the Wizards in.

Oh BTW, forget about Etan, if O-Pec can shoot well, he will be EJ's favorite "center" (a big man who can shoot outside shots)!

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 16, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

...OK, all that's true, but when does Nick Young begin to learn how to defend in this league?

Posted by: joe c | January 16, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

His 3rd year or his contract year...whichever comes first.

Posted by: mark | January 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

First and foremost let me apologize to my fellow bloggers for the goofball trade suggestion KEVIN MARTIN FOR GILBERT!!!!although he is a good shooter. Now about last night when I saw AD in street clothes I knew we were in trouble Roger is a two guard plain and simple does not posses the same mindset that Antonio does about playing the point and the Knicks have talent big time but have no idea how to use it don't be fooled by wins over the WIZ and the PISTONS if they win 30 games this year it will be a miracle! Friday night will be a better barometer as far as these two teams are concerned.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | January 16, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Last night should not have been surprising to anyone...all the stars were aligned against the Wiz including having the NY Giants in the house! We all know the bench is much younger and certainly more athletic than ever before but now we're seeing the downside of youth, which is inconsistency. I wrote in a post before the season that expecting major contributions from kids is unrealistic. Young, Blatche and now Pech have had terrific moments and we think we really have a future star here. But then they can disappear for games at a time. It's all part of growing up in the NBA and it will pay dividends down the road ( e.g. Mason). But when injuries thin out your team there will be frustrating games when the kids just don't step up.

Posted by: arnie | January 16, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I see NY and ABb getting called for fouls that established players get away with all the time.
At the same time, you have to help yourself. Slapping at the ball gets you a foul no matter how many years you have in the league unless you're Karl Malone. As JSchon said, that 'rag doll' action that AB has going on is getting old. After I saw Curry push him out of the frame and then dunk the ball, I had to change the channel. If I didn't have a wide screen tv, I wouldn't have been able to see AB at all on that play. That's how far out he was moved. Kid better hit the weight room or call Victor Conte. or.....move to PF (where he can pushed out of the frame by Zach Randolph).

Posted by: mark | January 16, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

In our defense, whenever you have your backup SG starting at PG, you're bound to have problems. Is Wilks still on this team or did his 10-day expire a while ago and I missed it?

Posted by: mark | January 16, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Mason swears he's a point guard folks. As a matter of fact thats the position he stated San Antonio supposedly made him the offer for. Now - I'm no coach, defensive or offensive but even with my glasses and eye drops - I can see that guy is no point guard.

When RM stepped on the court in place of Daniels - I cringed. He's so erratic - plays lost & confused. There is no rhthm. Same thing happened to the Celts when Rondo went down w/ bad back.....no rhthym.
When Nash or Kidd go down..their teams struggle.
Amazingly - Rondo is a 21 yr old 2nd yr. who plays amazingly well. Be great of Wiz could find a youngster w/skills like that for backup.

Posted by: Greg | January 16, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The starters came out flat, dug a big hole, and they just weren't able to find a way to climb all of the way out. The team was obviously fatigued, mentally and physically, from those two down to the wire battles with the Celts. Meanwhile the Knicks were riding high at home after a big win against Detroit. You could see this one coming a mile away.

That being said, the fact that they battled back, even though they lost, was somewhat encouraging. In years past they would have lost this game by 20+.

Posted by: kalorama | January 16, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

They certainly looked tired in the parts of the game I saw. It sounds like EJ used the bench, but they didn't play well enough. Although OPec's play is an encouraging sign.
And the ESPN people don't want to give credit because it might actually require them to pay attention to a team of players they don't want to talk about too often (since Gilbert is not playing now).
A little rest and the Wizards will put the Knicks down on Friday.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 16, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I would think that with a first round draft pick likely in the 15 to 23 range this year, the Wizards will first look to add a point guard to the roster to serve as Gil and Daniels' backup. It's their most glaring need. And then when Daniels' deal expires in a couple of years, he will be ready to be Gil's full time back-up.

Posted by: To Greg | January 16, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Are we talking draft already?

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The fact is that with Gilbert and Etan out most of the year and Daniels missing the Kinicks game what can you expect from the bench? In this circumstance the bench is 3 rookies (Opec, Dominic, and Young), one 21 year old (Andray)plus Songaila. That kind of bench is always going to be hit or miss. Gilbert out means starting your most valuable bench player - Daniels. Daniels out means starting your next most valuable veteran bench player - Mason. I don't think that too many teams count on consistent performances off the bench from rookies and VERY young players this early in the season. If it weren't for the luxury tax deal then the Wiz would definitely be better off having another experienced bench player. Even Mike Hall would probably bring more stability and consistency. But there's the cap again - so it is what it is.

Posted by: thinker | January 16, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"They certainly looked tired in the parts of the game I saw. It sounds like EJ used the bench, but they didn't play well enough. "

I wouldn't put any of this one on the bench, George. It would be a stretch to expect the bench full of rookies and neophytes to lead the team back when, by the time they first stepped onto the floor, the all-star starters had already dug a double-digit ditch for them to climb out of.

Posted by: kalorama | January 16, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Mike is still a Kobe lover. ;)

The Wiz looked very tired last night, they tried to come back but it was too late.

Just goes to show anyone can lose on the second leg of those back to backers, especially coming off of a win when they use all of thier energy like they did in Boston.

Daniels has to play for this team to win, not much more you can say then that. He runs a really good offense.

And yes, the bench laid an egg again. It's gonna happen, lots of inexperience there.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 16, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I would not call 3 wins in 5 games bad. But one thing that does concern me is that we did not shoot well in the last 5 games (3 of them below 40%, two reached only 41%), well below the season average (44.7%).

You can attribute this to opponents' defense (e.g., Boston), but they were against 4 different teams!

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This was a so called trap game.You could see it comming.With the minutes the starters had to play in the close games with the hawks & celtics,plus 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different cities & Daniels not playing it was inevatable.Our bench is pretty young & even they didn't bring it tonight,but the starters dug them a deep hole to climb out of.On the positive side "I get buckets son" will be a big addition to the rotation.Come friday i expect the wizards to put a L.A.P.D. beatdown on knicks with or without Daniels.

Posted by: dcpirate1 | January 16, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcpirate1 | January 16, 2008 02:05 PM

Yeah - I'm sure that's exactly the same things Boston fans were saying after the game here.

Posted by: Rook | January 16, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Rook,

Good reminder there. We cannot get over confident, or another L could be coming. I agree with the general run of comments, though, about how much the team misses Daniels running the point, the inevitable letdown after the Boston games, etc.

I'll tell you what, though: if Pech can shoot anywhere near what he did last night, that's going to give a huge boost to the bench. He's got Gilbert's "fire it up" mindset in a 7-footer's body.

Posted by: Keithinator | January 16, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Last night was disappointing, until I remembered Phoenix blew through the East last month, blew us out by 20, then went to Minnesota and laid an egg.

That said, I'm hoping the rest and home scenery portend well for the home team Friday night...

Posted by: iceberg | January 16, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Give me a 10 game win streak!

I love when the standings for last 10 games is like 8-2 or 9-1 or hey, 10-0

Thaaaaat's the spirit!

Posted by: g | January 16, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

wHAT Happened to Caron Butler's 3 point shot?

Posted by: sKIPPY | January 16, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Reason for last night's loss:

AD out hurt & DS didn't show up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 16, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"Les BouleS lost the first 5 games with Gilby as the starter this season. Get real.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 15, 2008 09:07 AM

You get real. The first five games were an aberration. The coaching staff emphasized defense and it was a difficult adjustment for the entire team - including for the coaches in finding the right balance. The team eventually adjusted and was playing at a very high level when Gil was reinjured.

Posted by: reispace | January 15, 2008 09:14 AM

"

Too bad for you, this "aberration" still counts in the standings. Don't forget, as you probably have, that Gilby said during the preseason that Les BouleS didn't not need to coach or practice offense b/c they had full confidence in themselves, and all they had to do was focus on defense. Also, how he was going to have a "Coming Out" party part 2.

Oh how wrong Gilby was, once again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

GM is an old fool, who's also gullible, goofy, naive, and idiotic.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 16, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Gilby should practice what he preaches with Luol Deng and Air Gordon. Take whatever Les BouleS offer him, because he surely doesn't deserve max money or a six year contract.

Gilby, do yourself a favor and just sign an extension.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 16, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey there Herb/Lance/DC Man 88

Are you sure we didnt lose the first 5 games cause CB had 24 turnovers?

Or maybe DS was shooting 17% from the floor not 3 point land?

Or maybe AJ was shooting 32%?

Or maybe the coaching staff tried to change the teams identity?

But I already know your answer Lance, I mean Herb urrr I mean DC Man88

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I agree with JSchon and others. Trying to correlate the first five games (which were all losses) with Gilbert being on the court is incorrect IMHO. They won the next three games with Gilbert on the court, too, after the losing streak.

I see it more that they had been so focused on defense in preseason and early season that they were not in an offensive rhythm yet. To their credit it looks like they can now play some defense and don't have to score as much. They are a better team than they would have been without Gilbert, at least partly due to playing better defense.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards started out poorly last year too and then played pretty well until injuries set in, all with Gilbert on the court.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW... I'm not pointing the finger at any of those things individually... all those things, including GA not being healthy and right as reasons for the losing streak.

We also played some good teams too...

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Without AD at PG in the lineup the Wiz would have been very fortunate to win last night's game in the Garden. Mason is a contributor but he is not a floor general.

The only plus that came out of the loss was the discovery that Pecherov is apparently ready to contribute now. The minimal output from NY, AB and DSong is troubling.

So now what?

(1) We need to defend our home court emphatically against the Knicks on Friday.

(2) We need to sign a competent point guard to at least a 10-day contract in time for the next heavy stretch of games (I believe Travis Best is on a short term contract over here in the Old Country and from what I've seen of him here, he has some gas left in his tank).

(3) Or if management is willing to kiss off the luxury tax-evasion bonus to strengthen the PG position now and have serious PG insurance going deep into the playoffs, maybe we can convince Memphis to take back its mystery meat draft choice from the Navarro deal and instead give us Damon Stoudamire, who used to routinely kill the Wizards when he was with Toronto and still has some game.

Whatever... We simply cannot risk AD breaking down for a three or four week stretch as happened earlier, as our upcoming opponents are way too good for the stop-gap measures that worked a bit the first time he went down. In a nutshell, we cannot expect to play .500 ball with Mason running the point.

Posted by: khrabb | January 16, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

SI.com polled 242 players about which players in the NBA got the least out of the most talent. Guess who "won"?

Posted by: kalorama | January 16, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I ask once again...when are the Wiz going to sign a backup PG? Even that guy we had for ten days could have helped last night.

Pech is interesting, but I dont knnow what to think of him yet. Would love to see him play some extended minutes with 3 or 4 of the starters in the game...

The bench guys need to dedicate themselves to playing the best D they can, and then some. That is how they will add the most value to this team. And Eddie should rotate them in and regulate their minutes based on who is playing the best D. And nothing more.

GA should just sign the extension and shut up. He would become a better person for it.

And oh man, lighten up on poor Kwame, cant you just give HER a break?

Posted by: oddjob | January 16, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

perhaps Eddie should have started the bench guys against the Knicks last night, with the exception of BH. EM, NY, DSong, AB and BH. See if they could keep it close and let the rest of the starters come off the bench to close out the quarters.

Posted by: oddjob | January 16, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

oddjob, I was half expecting to see that, too--starting the 2nd unit and only using AJ and CB if we *really* needed them.

Posted by: Lou | January 16, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Stop with all the whining about Mason and a third PG! Tell me how many teams playing their 3rd option at PG would get 20 pts on 8-14 shooting? Mason was not the reason they lost, period. What game are you watching? And before there is more whining of assists and the offense not running as well, please tell me what team would do so using their 3rd option at PG??? What team? Ridiculous!

Also, I think EJ is again starting to under use his bench. What comes first production or consistent playing time? I think sometimes guys need consistent playing time to establish a rhythm and EJ is not always good at doing such. The game I saw last night began with the starters digging a huge hole and the bench with more energy and points from DS and OP brought the deficit back down to attainable digits in the second. Did I miss something? Hell, OP was on such fire I might have considered starting him in the second half.

I will say I'm starting to get concerned with NY's lax attitude on the court. Yeah, he is smooth and it's his personality blah blah blah, but so is Mason and you don't get the same feeling that he is not hustling and playing as hard as you do with NY at times. Plus, him consistently fading away on his shots to me shows a laziness in not setting up his man better. Hopefully, it's the rookie learning curve, but I will say that this was part of his scouting report on draft day. We'll see.

Posted by: Rob P | January 16, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Roger could turn into a pretty solid backup point guard, in time. He's got a good handle, and he's getting into the paint and dishing or getting a shot more and more often. He's got 3-point range. He's also a good defender who's quick enough to cover 1s and long enough to cover 2s. He can't help it that he isn't Antonio Daniels yet--only more experience is going to get him to that level.

As for the Knicks game, it would have been fantastic if the Wizards could have come in and played great again on the tailend of a back-to-back. But realistically, it's very tough to bounce back like that. It would have a good time for Nick Young to have a big game, but he's in that predictable jeez-I've-never-played-this-many-games-in-one-season slump. None of this would have mattered, had the Knicks played lousy as usual. Unfortunately, it was one of those rare nights when they remembered they were an NBA team.

Posted by: John Brisker | January 16, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

NY has not played enough minutes to get tired. That's not it at all. I could see maybe Durant and Horford being tired, but not NY.

Posted by: Rob P | January 16, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | January 16, 2008 06:39 PM

Interesting. I would have placed Stevie "Franchise" pretty high up on that list...

Posted by: reispace | January 17, 2008 6:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big WNBA fan, but did the Wizards get those uniforms from the Mystics, or did they buy them from Victoria Secrets?

Posted by: OldChelsea | January 17, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I gotta agree with RobP. Mason doesn't rack up assists but did play well enough to win this past game. He sure seems to catch a lot of flak for a backup SG who happens to be pressed into service as a PG. Wheher he thinks he's a PG or not, on this team he's behind DS. If anything, management should be vilified for not keeping a 3rd PG on the roster with GA coming off of an injury but even that is understandable. How many 3rd string PG's see action in this league? When your 3rd string guy is starting, you get what you get! My only issue with the whole situation earlier this year is that Memphis has Conley, Stoudemire, and Lowry and we couldn't put a package with JCN together for Lowry.

Based on what was reported in the papers, Gilbert did NOT say that they didn't need to practice offense. In fact, it was reported in this paper that he went to EJ with concerns about them not practicing offense.

Posted by: mark | January 17, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Butler's the "Knicks have great personnel" quote wasn't exactly a vote of confidence for Isaih Thomas was it? Bill Parcells used to say, "if I'm going to cook the meal I should get to buy the groceries."

Thomas's specialty must be fried mush, there's alot of talented high priced parts that don't fit together very well on that team. But they are kind of team that will win 20 or 25 games a year since there's too much talent to mail it in every night.

When I started watching the NBA in the late 60's the Knicks teams back then were classics, and their teams in the 90's were always fun to watch. I wonder what it's going to take to right one of the league's great franchises, a trip to "the Garden" sure isn't what it used to be.

Got to agree with John Brisker and Rob P, Roger Mason didn't lose that game the other night. For a guy that was expected to be the third point guard he stepped in and played well enough. Stretches like that are when guys like Young need to be ready to step up and have a big game.

Young guys need to realize when their team is going to need them. 4th game in 5 nights with three of them on the road, that's a good night to show up with a real game face on. Blatche struggled with the matchups inside and Young looked out of sync on a night the Wiz could have used them for major minutes. Pecherov did have a nice stretch in the 2nd, the kid isn't shy about shooting is he?

The contrast between the Knicks and the Wizards couldn't be more stark. Grunfeld, the old Knick, has come to DC and put together a team that has parts that fit, leaders that lead, and a group of talented youngsters on the bench.

That's how teams are supposed to work, one part goes down and other guys step up fill in and do what's needed to keep things clicking. That's why the Wiz bench is so much younger this year, last years guys didn't have the talent to answer the call when they were needed to play major roles.

As fans we'll have to suffer through these kids growing pains some nights, but in the end this will be a deeper, better team by playoff time.

Posted by: GM | January 17, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Kwame Brown hands down. I am a huge laker fan. When Kwame comes in the game I turn the channel. He has to be the least inspired player in the league. he is also the one center who is always out of position. He is a bona fide rally killer. Please hurry back Andrew.

LALKFAN24 | 01/17/08

funny as hell...glad he's their headache now!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

And when he's rolling (more often than not), Caron Butler, is everyone else's headache! Talk about a steal, EG!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I'd agree with Mark, Lowery seems to be an after thought now in Memphis as Conley is getting more minutes, which a number one pick is going to do.

A defensive minded quick point that could match up with those mighty mite points that have always confounded the Wiz could make a nice addition.

Conley is a guy like Hayes was here, he's the last GM's pick so he could be the odd man out in Memphis. They weren't willing to let him go last summer because they had some health concerns in the backcourt.

But he's a guy the Wiz should keep their eye's on as a backup point, he's got a nice game and could be a fit here.

Posted by: GM | January 17, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

John Brisker, good post.

Mason was a combo guard at UVA, so was Gil and AD at some point in their career in high school or college. They all evolve toward their strenths as their careers develop. AD evolved into more of a pass first guard since his shooting skills are too poor to be much of a scoring guard. Gil is more of a scoring PG cause his strength is shooting and getting to the rim or line. Mason, at this point in his career, doesn't pass that well yet but he has a really good outside shot and is somewhat passable driving the lane on occasion. You would think he'd be modeling his game after a Derek Fisher type with more size and less handles. That type of player definitely fits into this offense. Like the triangle offense, the Princeton offense doesn't require a pure PG to run it.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

get off nick young ass this kid is a star and they play him like a rug mason dont pass nick the ball and mason have been playing for 4 year and coach dont take him out when he make misstake but coach take young out everytime that he make a misstake leave nick young alone and stop trying changing his game run plays for nick that way young know that he will get the ball cause their are many other team that want nick even if coach dont know how to play young

Posted by: jerry smith | January 17, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

No, I don't think it is Mason's fault that he is not a PG, but I think given the uncertainty of GA's knee situation coming in (back from surgery), the team should have kept 3 PG instead of 3 SG (Stevenson, Young, and Mason). If necessary, you can always move Butler over to SG anyway.

Well, at least Mason is willing to try at PG. Unlike Dixon, who I always thought if he had molded his game as a combo guard or scoring PG, he would have a better career in NBA.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 17, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Gee jerry smith, have you ever heard of punctuation or run on sentences? lol

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Also, DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM, thank you for not screaming (all CAPS) on your posts. More people are willing to read them instead of skipping over them.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

yo jerry stop slobbing over nick young duck it gross he a rookie he need to earn his minutes get over it and learn to to write like dis punk ass

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

jerry smith mad ny not get enough shots and people not like ny what jerry smith not realize is so what coach pull ny fine ny need play hard and mistake free ny mentally need focus is part of nba focus pocus

Posted by: g | January 17, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Although there have been noticeable benefits from the absence of GA, notably teamwork, chemistry and D, the team is still better off with him in the long run.

One thing that I've noticed that will be interesting is that CB, AJ and AD have taken a much greater leadership role on the team. They have always provided leadership but they've stepped it up to another level that GA is not in the locker room. It seems that it has become 'their' team now and not GA's. In the past it appeared they were reluctant to step over that boundary and deferred to GA and were even hesitant to confront him at times. Now they have made the statement by example and are stamping their imprint on the team (not that it is their intent trying to make a statement in GA's absence)

Posted by: jjames | January 17, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

yo g, that too funny! hear hear jerry smith?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

wow, the Knicks beat NJersey also, by about 10 points?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

correction: 6 points

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

In the pecking order of the lockerroom it's always been pretty clear that AJ has been the leader. Last year when Gil and Eddie exchanged words through the media after the Portland game, it was Jamison who stepped into the fray and diffused it.

His "taking little brother to the woodshed" line got lots of laughs and by the next practice everybody was a big happy family again.

Butler was this kind of a guy in college and had started to develop into a leadership role in Miami. In LA Kobe wasn't about to share the leadership role with anybody, so when Caron arrived here I'm sure he was going to get to know these guys before rocking the boat.

His first couple of years here Daniels has struggled with his game and role for months before settling in as a important part of the rotation down the stretch. With Gil down and AD in the starting lineup he's sure of himself as an important cog on this team and is expressing it.

The good news is that these guys all seem to really like each other. There's not been a hint of friction between any of the Vets. If anything they all seem to be saying that Gil's return will take this team to another level.

Posted by: GM | January 17, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to understand what Jerry Smith was talking about.

And was anyone here clobbering NY? Which I think was his point.

RM isnt a starting point guard or shooting guard in the NBA. He filled in for us cause he had too and played well, however, we wont be successful if he is logging in lots of minutes as a starter.

GA will be back around March and AD should be back next week. There isn't anybody in the DLeague that is worth carrying on the team thats any better than RM.

Posted by: JSchon | January 17, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Stuckey (Detriot) could have been a better fit for the Wizards right "now" than Young as he's more of a combo guard while NY is a true SG. If he's here then I don't think the PG issue will be brought up. The Wiz were just a notch lower (16th) in the draft.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Are we talking draft already?

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 12:36 PM

Hehe, sure why not? We're all couch GMs and virtual coaches anyway right?

Here's more pointless speculation, just trying to have some fun while waiting for tomorrow's game:
1. What will Ernie do to make way for Veremeenko and to be able to pay Gilbert and Antawn next year? - try to trade Etan and Darius as a package.

2. What will Ernie do to make sure there is a backup to Caron at small forward? not much, just get Hopla working with Dominic and Andray a lot.

3. If Gilbert stays, will a 3rd point guard be hired? - yes, one of the draft picks will be traded for a veteran or 3 yr point guard.

4. Will Roger leave after being offered a $2.5M contract by another team? Yes.

5. If Gilbert doesn't like the Wizards offer, will he go to another team for less money? Yes - to Miami.

6. Would Antawn stay for less money (than what he earns now)? No, the Spurs will be willing to pay him good money as a backup to Tim Duncan.

Not that any of the above matters now. Go Wiz!

Posted by: rgz | January 17, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll check my crystal ball:
1. Yes, Mason will leave the Wizards for another team. They can't afford him already.
2. Gil will stay for another year. He has still a lot to prove.
3. I don't have a good read on AJ right now. He wants to stay but his heart is in NC. Plus other teams can give him more $$$.
4. An improve AB next year....not a lot to be a regular cotributor.
5. Nick Young - 2009 will be his make or break year. Either he be the next coming of Rip Hamilton or JR. Rider.
6. Etan will come back to play. Thus, the ET, BH and EJ love triange continues.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | January 17, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BLIZZARD IN DC!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Antawn's not going anywhere, at least not for the money. No one (including the Wizards) is going to pay him anywhere near the $16 mill he's making now. And most of the the teams that'd be most interested in his services won't have more than the MLE to spend (although half of the Spurs roster are unrestricted FA's this summer, so they could clear some space, but I don't know if it'd be $10 mill worth).

Depending on what their cap situation is, they may be able to keep mason (assuming some team doesn't go nuts and offer him the full MLE). It all depends on how the scales balance out between Arenas's salary jump and Jamison's salary fall.

Posted by: kalorama | January 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Great story from the blog above. Yes, that's one of the many reasons why Gil, and Caron, are great for this team and city! Going back to the days when Gilbert helped, and befriended, the boy who's parents were killed in a fire around Xmas, i believe. Stay Gilbert!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Good question about AJ. We focus so much on GA that we forget that AJ could walk. The dude is balling and having a career type year. While he will certainly not get 16 mill, it is within the realm of possibility to assume that he may get an offer for 10 or so. I'm pretty sure we'd match it if given the opportunity but should we be worried about AJ leaving? The dynamic of our team changes drastically without him. Pech or AB would play in that spot. Pech could keep up with the 3 point shooting but AB would change us to even more of an defensive type of team with an over-reliance on GA and CB for scoring. We'd be more easily defended. Hopefully no one has money to offer AJ but...you never know. Even scrubs like Jon Koncak and Adonal Foyle get paid.

Posted by: mark | January 17, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Vereemenko is not going to comand alot of money, so the Wizards wouldn't need to move both Etan and Darius to make room for him.

Rook's covered the Salary Cap ramifications of Jamison and Arenas this summer on here in detail. The Wizards have the flexibility to offer Arenas a max contract and have about 11m left for Jamison and still stay under the luxury tax level.

My quess is they'll both be back, they're both key parts to what Grunfeld has been building. And if I had to make a wager I'd bet that Roger will be here too. I think Ernie really likes this core and wants to hold it together til Blatche and Pecherov are ready to move into the rotation.

One wildcard factor will be Etan and his comeback effort. Will he make it back this year and be able to continue his career? If he's unable to comeback that would effect decisions regarding frontline depth and including the status of Vereemenko and if he would be on the roster next year or stashed overseas another year.

Posted by: GM | January 17, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"Hey there Herb/Lance/DC Man 88

Are you sure we didnt lose the first 5 games cause CB had 24 turnovers?

Or maybe DS was shooting 17% from the floor not 3 point land?

Or maybe AJ was shooting 32%?

Or maybe the coaching staff tried to change the teams identity?

But I already know your answer Lance, I mean Herb urrr I mean DC Man88

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2008 04:41 PM "

You're a fool and an idiot. Les BouleS lose the first 5 games with Gilby in the game. Les BouleS are 20-12 since he left.

I'm not attributing the first 5 losses all to Gilby, but the stats are what they are. Deal with them jschon/gm/loser/old/idioit/ray/lisa/mark

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 03:44 PM

Dude, enough of this garbage. Go jump in Lake Okeechobee.

I see the Wiz in the conference finals once Gilbert is back and Daniels no longer has to carry starter's minutes.

Posted by: JC for three | January 17, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"Dude, enough of this garbage. Go jump in Lake Okeechobee.

Posted by: JC for three | January 17, 2008 04:15 PM "

Dude, go put your head under a metro train.

Les BouleS will make the playoffs without the services of Gilby. In fact, they will probably easily have a better seeding than last year, when Gilby was in the lineup.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Aside from the Spurs, none of the potential contenders will have the cap space to offer Jamison anywhere near $10 mill, and it's unlikely, at this stage of his career, he'd bolt a team that's on the verge of making a push forward to join a rebuilding lottery team (e.g., Charlotte or the Wolves). It's also unlikely a rebuilding team would want to tie up all of their FA money in a long-term deal to a 31 year old who likely won't be around when the team actual gets to be any good.

Posted by: kalorama | January 17, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 03:44 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | January 17, 2008 04:52 PM

You're almost right Kal.

San Antonio has about $18 Mil coming off the books at the end of this year (7 separate contracts) - but that will still only put them about $8 Mil under the Salary Cap (assuming the Cap increases 4% - as it has for the last several years).... I doubt Jamison would leave the Wizards for $8 Mil. PLUS, The Spurs would be then up against the Cap, and could only sign Minimum Salary players to replace the other 6 players they lost....

SA will not be in a position to offer Jamison anywhere near what the Wizards can. The Wiz should be able to offer Jamison between $10-$11 Million to stay.

Assuming that Charlotte would rather have Jamison than resigning Emeka Okafor, They have about $10 Mil coming off the books at the end of the year (6 separate contracts)... AND they're already UNDER the Salary Cap. They could offer Jamison somewhere around $12-$13 Million... Charlotte would then be in the same position of having to sign minimum salary players to replace the other 5 roster spots on the team.

Posted by: Rook | January 17, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Just to recap all the potential players for Jamison (and/or Arenas):

Atlanta = 7 expiring contracts, $18 Mil Under the Cap

Memphis = 8 expiring contracts, $14 Mil under the Cap

Minnesota = 7 expiring contracts, $12 Mil under the cap

Orlando = 7 expiring contracts, $15 Mil under the cap

Charlotte = 6 expiring contracts, $12 Mil under the cap

Posted by: Rook | January 17, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

"Just stop responding to the idiot guys. DCWoman doesn't know the difference between his head and his a'hole so when he talks anything about the Wiz and basketball, it's usually coming out of the a'hole end. Henceforth, he's wrong 9 out 10 times - even a clock is right twice a day. Just ignore him like the retard he is.

Posted by: | January 17, 2008 08:24 PM "

You got it mixed up. I actually don't know the difference between your mom's head or her @sshole. I treat them both the same.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

"and what about last February, when the Wiz were atop the Eastern Conference? Arenas was on the roster then too, wasn't he? Also, are you seriously saying that because the team lost a couple games while he was in the lineup when he was injured, they're better off without him? What about those 3 that they won with Gil still active? Face it, the Wiz are better because they have more talent on the bench, have focused on defense, and because EJ managed to pick the Laker's pockets via Butler. That's it. I'll admit, Gil needs to work on his D, but his offense alone could win games back in the day. When he comes back, if he is able to adjust his game to the new-look Wiz, then how could they not be better? And there's nothing to indicate that he can't. All evidence indicates that while he does relish the spotlight, he's a player that wants to win, first and foremost.

Posted by: | January 17, 2008 07:57 PM "

Oh how convenient, and wasn't CBut healthy also during that big stretch last season? Gilby was charging hard and got his wish to be in the all star game and his birthday party at Love. After that, it didn't matter anymore.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's to all you Gilby lovers out there who think just b/c he's got decent steal stats and think it correlates to him playing defense. I was written by Ivan:

----------------------------------------------

Ivan Carter:1. Brendan Haywood and his backup, Andray Blatche, a long guys who play with major energy and rotate very well. 2. The addition of assistant Randy Ayers has made a big difference. It's not that Eddie and company weren't preaching defense in the past - they were - but a fresh voice has made a difference. He really preaches the basics: getting over/under screens, rotating to the most dangerous shooters, identifying cutters etc. 3. Gilbert is a great player but has never made a true commitment to playing great defense and that had a trickle down effect in my opinion.

------------------------------------------

Seems to me that Ivan is saying Gilby's lack of care in playing D negatively influenced his teammates, especially his younger ones. Then again, that's not surprising when ET openly tells his players to look to CBut and AJ as role models and people to follow, and said Gilby is not a leader on this team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Here are more interesting quotes from Wilbon's piece:

----------------------------------------------

"The Wizards' defense -- some would say it's news they have one -- was 29th (or next-to-last) in points allowed through 37 games last year, but has improved to 11th through 37 games this season."

"It's quite common to hear an opposing coach or player whisper, "They're better off with Arenas out of the lineup."

Well, they're certainly more democratic. Opponents feel the ball moves better, that the Wizards take better shots, that the players who defer to Arenas when he's on the floor are more assertive without him. "

"It's a fascinating quandary, how to reintroduce the NBA's third-leading scorer from 2007 into a lineup that scores just fine without him most nights. The Wizards still have eight, sometimes 10 minutes a night when they struggle to score, which would be solved with Arenas back. But he's a player who needs the ball a disproportionate share of the time."

"It's an issue the Wizards won't have to address until March, if they're lucky. Arenas will likely be out past the mid-February all-star weekend. In the meantime, there's so much less to worry about now that the Wizards are playing at a high level without him. For starters, they've had a bit of a personality transplant. Arenas is a star, a man whose steak has plenty of sizzle. Since he's been injured, the team has taken on a quieter, more serious way of operating because that's the personality of Jamison, Caron Butler and Antonio Daniels.

The role players have marched to that tune, and thrived doing so. "

"If Arenas and Thomas do make it back they'll discover a team with an attribute that was missing the last few years from this group. "Caron and DeShawn have improved our toughness," Jordan said. "Those two started it and it's become sort of contagious.""

"When people ask Grunfeld how the Wizards have played so well without their all-star he says, "Well, we've still have two all-stars out there, playing on an all-star level." Beyond talent, what's evolved here is a relatively quiet group that likes to practice and that plays efficiently. "

"Even while grinding through Tuesday night's somewhat predictable loss to the Knicks at Madison Square Garden without their primary playmaker, Daniels, the Wizards displayed a stubbornness they lacked the last couple of seasons. They've developed a toughness and resourcefulness Jordan knows he'll have to find a way to maintain when Arenas comes back. The Wizards have discovered how to play well with a smaller margin of error. It would be a shame to see them trade this newly developed edge for more points from Arenas."

-------------------------------------------

The more you read, the more you watch, the more you realize that Gilby adds points to this team, nothing else. Given those points though, anybody else making 12 mil/year, or asking for max money can do the same. Gilby is an expendable commodity. Deal with it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 09:33 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

and like I said before also, Gilbert will have to find a way to adjust his game to this team, not the other way around. If he does, then this team will be very successful. Nobody believes that Gilbert scoring a whole lot would benefit this team at this point, but his ability to take over games when it matters, when they need an assertive go-to guy (which Butler isn't quite yet...he can change the tempo, but noone can quite create their own shot like Gil on this team) and his ability to break down the defense when the play fails would be invaluable to this team, if he learned to play defense and distribute the ball well.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"so you're attributing all the success to Butler now? Didn't I state that Butler was a good part of the Wiz success this year? Like always, you're twisting words and disregarding things that would potentially detract from your argument. You would make a great politician.

Posted by: | January 17, 2008 10:48 PM "

Hey doofus, why don't you just celebrate the fact that Les BouleS are having a great season so far, and to everyone's surprise, it's without Gilby in the lineup.

People talk about last season and how great Les BouleS were, but that was when all 3 all stars were healthy. The last time this team was without one of their 3 all stars (second half of last season when CBut left with a broke hand), they were in bad shape. Seems like the two most important all stars are managing to make it work this seasonm and AD is doing a much better job at PG than Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 10:54 PM

Can't you think of anything to say besides childish insults? And i am enjoying this season. I think it's amazing what they are doing, with their grit and determination. this season IS a surprise. And the team being down when Butler was down? That just speaks of how important Butler is to the team, it doesn't detract from Gil. They've managed to elevate their game this season AS A WHOLE. Jarvis is gone, Ruffin is gone, they have a all new Haywood, young talent in Blatche and Young...this season is very different from last season. Even with the (lack of) talent last year, Gil, Caron, and Jamison managed to take this team to the top (albeit briefly). And I'll agree, AD is doing a better job of running the point than Gilbert did...but AD is a tested vet with a championship under his belt. Gil can learn a thing or two, no one is arguing that, but he certainly isn't the cancer on this team that you like to make him out to be.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to argue whether Gilby is a cancer to this team or not. I will only argue the facts, and that is this team is doing well without Gilby, is playing like a cohesive team, the team is now 11 in team defense compared to 29 last season, and everybody is playing loose and having fun.

Now, given all that, what justification is there that Gilby deserves a 6 year contract with max money? There isn't. Gilby is not a superstar that can carry this team on his back. He's no Lebron, Kobe, MJ, Nash, Duncan, DHoward, etc., but he sure makes himself out to be at their level.

The bottom line is that Gilby does not deserve a big contract and EG is better off spending that money elsewhere, and/or signing and trading Gilby to another team if he continues to demand that kind of money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

You are so idiotic it's hilarious.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

"Oh and the Village Idiot knows soo much more than a PROVEN highly successful NBA GM!

You are so idiotic it's hilarious.

Posted by: | January 17, 2008 11:16 PM "

EG hasn't made any moves yet so you don't know if he'll sign, trade, or let Gilby walk. Therefore, unless you can dispute anything that's been written about the results to date, then shut your blow hole.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW, this is a blog where no one here, not even Ivan or Michael, have any pro b-ball experience, as a player or executive.

So, since you're saying that I don't know anything b/c I'm not in that league, well, that includes 100% of the people here also, so you can shut the f# up now..

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Ernie said just this week that Gil adds a dimension to the team that we do not have now and does not appear to have any intention of letting him leave.

And you saying "Ernie should do this" when you know nothing about the game, team, etc. just proves what an IDIOT you are!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"The question is whether Jamison would take $10-$11 Mil from the Wiz and try for a ring, or $12-$14 Mil to go home to North Carolina to play out the rest of his career."

I don't see any way in the world Jamison would leave the Wiz when they're on the cusp of moving to the next level to go back to ground zero rebuilding with a lottery bound Charlotte team. Yeah, he's from Carolina and played there in college, but people tend to give way too much weight to the idea that players all long to "play at home." He can charter a jet and go to Charlotte any time he wants.

They generally care about two things: winning and money. Jamison's going to get paid wherever he lands (and he's already bankrolled a bundle). Winning is the thing driving him at this point. He's not going to get there in Charlotte.

I don't see him going to the Spurs (who I could certainly see showing an interest) because he'd just be a cog in the Spurs machine behind Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker. I think the leadership role he carries on the Wiz means a lot to him and he'd rather win on a team he helped build than jump onto somebody else's ship when the journey is half over.

You can never say never, but as long as the Wiz offer him a fair deal and don't try to jerk him around, the odds of him leaving are extremely small.

Posted by: kalorama | January 17, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

blam blam blam,

He stuck it to you, dropping Gilby like a furby!

DCMan: All time best Ivan reference quotation post!

Ivan act like Gilby makes this team better, but you see through that like gossamer. Dreams of our youth!

Gilby: 4, A, 5, 2, 8... H, 6! Bio*Tch
Pick up that sock laura!

Great stuff DCMan, keep it up!

The question I have is, has anyone considered how good his team could be WITHOUT Gilby?!

Posted by: i smoke | January 18, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

You proved you are an ideot when you said he proved that he was an ideot! ideot!

You better watch you posts back because DCMAn rolls hard on people who post around here.

DCman is a one mang task force dispatching posters like OJ Simpson looking for his old helmet!

Posted by: i smoke | January 18, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey, DCman, seeing as I'm helping out a lot now, I was wondering if you would let me drop a BWAHAHA for you sometime, like when you are letting everyone have it all at once Tommy Gun style, you could say. "Smoke if you got em" or "Smokey" or "Smoke 'em" and I would light up a nasty whole line BWAHAHA.

Like a message board High Five, but cooler. I mean, you probably have a better idea, so whatever, just a thought.

Don't worry about it or nothing...

Posted by: i smoke | January 18, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 17, 2008 11:10 PM

This is the type of post that I can respect. Thought out, no insults, things we can agree and disagree on without losing our cool.

"Gilby is not a superstar that can carry this team on his back." That I would argue. He's proven that he has what it takes to lead the team to victory...but I will agree with you that right now, he's not as good as those players.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Washington, DC: Hey, guys, I know you agree with me that the Zards do not have as much potential to go deep in the playoffs without Gilbert versus with. But they're unquestionably playing a great style of ball right now with good movement and tougher D. If Gil comes back this season, do you believe he's watching the way this team's playing and preparing himself to come back to be a part of this better style including a commitment to D? Or is he just building a monster chip on his shoulder to come back and prove all those naysayers wrong by himself, which might have effect of breaking up this team's good flow?

Michael Lee: I think Gilbert is paying attention. Most definitely. I don't think he'll disrupt much. There might be a slight drop off defensively, because the tempo and pace will change with a 25-point scorer in the lineup, but the Wizards' D had improved from last season WITH Arenas, too. I spoke with a knowledgeable basketball guy last night about the Wizards. He said the Wizards are playing great basketball right now - better ball movement, more balanced scoring, more focus defensively - and he was of the belief that the team is unquestionably better with Arenas because when Arenas is on the floor, the whole attitude of the team changes. He said having Arenas gives his teammates more confidence that they can beat the big dogs. He said that right now, the people don't have any expectations of the Wizards. They have a built in excuse if they lose, and every win is celebrated with - in the words of Arenas - Gatorade showers. He said he thought the Wizards would be even more dangerous when Arenas gets back. He called Arenas one of the top 15 players in the league. "How can you be better without one of those guys?" he asked.
-------------------------------------------
Dupont Circle, DC: Hey guys, I really enjoyed your analysis of the Wiz and Rockets re: missing their respective star players, and I was wondering if you could comment on whether you envision Gilbert adapting to some of the positives the team has shown without him (unselfish play, ball movement, improved defense, etc). Do you have any insight or indication that Agent Zero is learning something from his team's new focus, or will he be back to his old ways when he returns, good and bad?

Ivan Carter: Well, judging by his recent blog entry, I think he has learned a lot during his time away. Actually, it began before he went down on Nov. 16. Remember, in his last three or four games, he was moving the ball more, taking fewer forced shots and was talking about letting the game come to him. One thing about Gilbert Arenas: he is a highly intelligent basketball player. He's noticed how Butler, Jamison, Haywood, Daniels, Blatche etc. have played and he'll find a way to blend his game into the mix. The thing he'll give them is that end of quarter, end of game hammer to put a team away.
-------------------------------------------
Better Without All-Stars?: No one is saying that the Wiz should just cut Gilbert and play without him.

The point is to trade a guy whose perceived value as a scorer is higher that his actual contribution to the teams current championship opportunity. Who cares if we get 75 cents on the dollar if those 75 cents will make them a better team overall.

Gil doesn't care about leadership, Gil doesn't care about defense. He cant increase scoring off the bench nor can he give us the toughness in the paint we haven't had until this year.

But if you trade Gil for Brand and maybe Livingston, or Gasol and Navarro, you are simply adding pieces to a 17-11 team and making it better.

The difference between the wiz trading Gil and Philly/Iverson, Minny/Garnett is that those teams were AWFUL teams with one star. We have two all-stars on the 4th team in the east that would only be adding another star in return. Gil is a cool dude, but he needs to go...

Michael Lee: Look to what you just said: "We have two all-stars on the 4th team in the east that would only be adding another star in return."

So why would they be worse off by adding Arenas back? Last I checked, he was a three-time all-star who could give a team 50 points any night. Last I checked, he was one of the top 15 players in the league, a member of the all-NBA team the last three years. These other guys you're talking about haven't done any more than Arenas in this league.

"Gil is a cool dude, but he needs to go..."

Based on what? Because when he is the lineup with Butler and Jamison, the Wizards win 60 percent of their games. You guys need to chill with all of this better without Gil talk. Can you please just think about how good they would be WITH Gilbert Arenas. I'm sure if you privately polled the locker room, they'd rather go on the floor with him.
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: Copy n' paste | January 18, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

So to summerize from Ivan & Michael's chat on Wednesday:
1. Gilbert is one of the 15 best players in the NBA
2. Gilbert should not have any trouble fitting with the great ball movement on offense that the Wizards have been doing lately, and infact he is looking forward to it
3. Not only has Gilbert been rehabing his knee, but also paying close attention to how the team is playing, so the transition of him back into the starting line-up will not be as severe when he is healthy
4. The team is not better without Gilbert
5. Gilbert's teammates love him and can't wait until he gets back

Posted by: Copy n' paste | January 18, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info, Rook. If I'm AJ, I seriously consider Orlando. With Dwight Howard behind him defensively, he's even more effective. AJ's three's open up the floor even more for Howard. The froncourt of rashard, Howard and Aj becomes the dominant one in the league for at least a year or two. Also, no Florida state tax, so 12 mill is closer to 13 or 14. I'd say they could challenge for a championship with that trio, as well.

Posted by: mark | January 18, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

It's not surprising that 88 pastes negative coments from articles but neglected the positive stuff in the Wilbon piece.
Ivan is a greta writer but the numbers/stats speak for themselves. Sites like 82games.com validate the point that we were not getting burned at the PG position last year. People talk about GA's lack of commitment to defense but don't take into account 'little' things like the fouls that he draws. There's no better way to slow a guy down than to get him a couple quick fouls. His defense has been his offense so far in his career in DC. Folks that complain about him not playing D must have forgotten about those nights when his shot was off and we scored 82 points or 85 points. GA expended energy on O because that's what we neede. He's smart enough to see that now we need a little less O and a little more D. We'll be fine.

Posted by: mark | January 18, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Before the season started everyone was getting on "Brenda." Criticizing every aspect of his game including his manhood, and saying that ET should be starting, since he had more "energy." Those who defended him were accused of being his agent or BH himself. This season with playing time and the confidence of his coach he has stepped up him game and resembles the player he was starting to be when Hughes was on the team. He has shut up most of the Brenda voices. Now the target is Arenas who is not even playing. Actually the team was beginning to win he went down with an injury. I have a feeling that if he comes back in good health he will shut up these mouths. I wonder who the next target will be?

Posted by: browneri | January 18, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I hope AD plays tonight. The offense runs so much better with AD on the floor. And the team defense is stronger. If Gil returns this season I think Gil should move to 2 guard and have Stevenson come off the bench. Eddie is cutting down on Nick Young's minutes and the bench needs some energy, why not use Stevenson as the person who can provide that. This team is more half-court oriented without Gil and it's effective, so far. When and if Gil returns this season perhaps the team should focus more on the half-court type offense instead of the running up and down they've done in the past 2 or 3 seasons.

Posted by: Robert C. | January 18, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I read Wilbon's column on the Wizards; it was nice. However, I thought he should have given more props for Haywood and his biggest improvement, his free throws. This month Haywood has the second best free throw percentage on the team, Caron is number 1, and you can see it is improving Haywood's confidence in other places(defense, rebounding and scoring).

If I were to give the most improved mid-season award it would be a 3 way tie with Caron, Haywood and Mason. I know everyone would give it to Caron with his recent game performance vs the Celtics. But Haywood's improved play all around deserves credit and so does Mason. I've read folks bad comments talk badly about Mason but truth be told, he is there best player coming off the bench. Young has the most talent, but can get down on himself quickly and is also a liability on the defense. Mason is improving on his defense, and YES he cannot his a open shot..lol, but he has done well playing out of position when playing point guard. When Eddie puts Mason as starter he attacks the basket.

Posted by: Robert C. | January 18, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I wonder who the next target will be?

Posted by: browneri | January 18, 2008 08:28 AM

At various times in the past:

Nick Young is a bust....
EG was a fool to sign Stevenson.
EG was a fool not to sign Navarro.
Jamison can't play defense - trade him.
"Brenda" is a head case-ET needs to start.
The team is better without Arenas.
Blatche is a knucklehead, and not worth signing.
Ernie lowballed Hughes forcing him to leave.
Jordan can't coach and should be fired.
Polin is cheap.

On this blog, no Wizards Player, Coach, GM, Owner, Writer or Fan is safe.

Posted by: Rook | January 18, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the copy and paste above. I hadn't reviewed the chat and it answered my questions about Arenas' attitude. If this is true then I am really psyched. His attitude when he returns will be the deciding factor in how deep we go. I have been saying that since he went down. If that question is now answered, barring further injuries, then this should be a great ride!

We should have gotten a back up point months ago and not just 10 day Wilks. But at this point maybe we should just ride it out another 5-6 weeks till Gil returns.

I only saw the fourth quarter the other night and hadn't realized that Daniels didn't start. To me Mason didn't lose the game the other night by poorly distributing the ball but it was both guards not being able to cool down Crawford and Robinson who were ridiculously hot.

Tonight we are rested and at home. Their guards can't be on fire like that again. I am confident we'll take care of business.
Hope Daniels sits another game also. We need him healthy in February.

Posted by: BmoreRev | January 18, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Nice post Rook and so true. I for one am guilty of bad mouthing Brenda(n). We just had so many seasons of his bad attitude combined with his lack of effort, I just couldn't see him advancing any this season. I now eat my words. He is by far the most improved player on the team and is a big part of the team's success thus far. A lot of credit needs to go to the coaching staff, specifically Hopla. I was watching one of the YouTube videos of Domi.Nick and during their video, you could see Hopla working with BTH in the background, having him shoot many 10-12 ft. jumpers. Hats off to the coaching staff this year!

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | January 18, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"I also noticed, you left out this quote by EG: "Told of that growing sentiment yesterday, Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said: "His teammates certainly don't think that's the case. . . . Gilbert can put us on a different level. . . . When we get Gil back we can be extremely dangerous." What do you say to that?

Posted by: | January 18, 2008 01:18 AM "

What "different level?" Gilby is just coming back from an injury. Do we expect him to be at the form he was early last season?

Gilby says a team should be judged over 82 games. How did the team end the season last year right before he got hurt? Les BouleS were in a freefall after CBut got hurt.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Gilby is popular with his teammates, whether he plays D or not, and whether he shares the ball or not. The last thing EG wants to do is to make it seem like he's throwing Gilby under the bus and then the team will implode because it'll be players vs. management. EG has to play the game, and if things work out, the excuse will be for business reasons, nothing personal.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Previously DCMan88 posted: "I will only argue the facts"

Then: "I think EG is saying nice things now to remain in good terms with Gilby. He knows Gilby is a sensitive guy and he doesn't want to anger Gilby, because even if things don't work out here, he'd at least not want to PO Gilby and be able to trade him somewhere and hope that Gilby will comply. There is absolutely no reason why EG would want to do anything to burn any bridges, whether the PR spin he says is true or false."

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 10:05 AM

Now who's the one not "sticking to facts"?

Your last post was a big load of made up speculation.

The Fact is that Ivan Carter, Michael Lee and Michael Wilbon have all written that the team is better WITH Arenas.

The Fact is that both Jamison and Butler have been QUOTED as saying the team will be better with Arenas and can't wait for him to get back.

The Fact is that the Coach of the Wizards, Eddie Jordan, has been quoted numerous times that the team is better with Arenas.

Established credible Newspaper reporters, respected NBA General Managers, All-Star players, and Coaches all say the team is better with Arenas; yet your "speculation" is that they just don't want to upset Gilbert Arenas?

I think I'd rather belive the credible insiders than a disgruntled self described "Gilby" hater.

Posted by: Rook | January 18, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

just heard Antwan on the sports radio station defending Gilbert and basically saying they are better with him. Eddie also, sports 980. I'm sure Antawn staying would be based on Gilbert staying also.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

correction: "teams we should have beat", except for the 2 boston games and maybe one other.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"I agree with the poster above who mentioned how Gilbert breaks down other teams defense by getting fouled and going to the free throw line, which gives us more chance of winning each game. Gilbert already stated that he is now Nacho, serving chips and dips, meaning he already bought into the new system, or way of thinking/playing, before his new injury, and this surge against the teams who should have beat.

Posted by: | January 18, 2008 11:13 AM "

Big deal. Is this new news to report about Gilby's offensive capability?

The problem with Gilby is not his personal offensive capability. The problem is the residual effect of Gilby needing the ball in his hands and also his lack of desire to play defense.

Gilby stressed watching the team over 82 games to see if they're really better without him. It's funny how people declare Gilby having bought into a system after playing in only about 7 games this season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"The FACT is that Ernie Grunfeld was QUOTED as saying that Arenas is important to this team to get them to the next level.

Posted by: Rook | January 18, 2008 10:30 AM "

Duh, I've said all along. The fact is that if you add the return of a 12 million dollar player to a team, of course you're going to get better. The problem is this team is already better without the 12 million dollar player. Gilby will do his thing and get his points. Does it help this cohesive team in the long run? Probably not.

Please tell me your aware that EG has to play the PR role to make sure Gilby does not get offended and leaves EG with no compensation if he walks. Do you expect EG to blast Gilby publicly? Give EG some credit, but take this also. EG said he was going to do everything in his power to resign Larry Hughes. Then EG lowballed him so Larry signed with the Cavs. At the last minute, EG tried to give him the same contract that the Cavs offered him, but it was too late. Therefore, that has set precedence that you cannot believe everything that EG says.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

DC LanceHerb 88 back again making all sorts of friends.

Posted by: JSchon | January 18, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Is it BWAHAAHA time yet?

Gilby: 1, 4, 3, H, 2!
Laura make me a PBnJ!

I'm so amped for your next post!

Posted by: i smoke | January 18, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone figure out why Les BouleS have not signed anyone to a 10 day contract yet to help AD with the duties? Now AD is out and they'll have to use DS and Mason at PG. Talk about cheap.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"DC LanceHerb 88 back again making all sorts of friends.

Posted by: JSchon | January 18, 2008 11:59 AM "

Get a life.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey,

DC man, buddy... what's up?

I feel like maybe you are in a bad mood today. Usually you have some pep in your step, that certain fire to your posts.

Eat some soup, and get lots of vitamin C!

Posted by: i smoke | January 18, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm busy serving up cake today.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

but instead of eating the cake, you're sucking on Gil's schlong!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"but instead of eating the cake, you're sucking on Gil's schlong!

Posted by: | January 18, 2008 03:43 PM "

Not really, but I heard there's a long line for that privilege, and your mom's been on it a few times.

Suggestion: When your mom gives tries to give you a kiss, kindly decline.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Big deal. Is this newsworthy enough to create a blog over?

They boo'd Kobe in the past also, which is even more ridiculous.

Somewhere, sometime, somehow, Doug Collins and MJ will pay for how they destroyed this dude.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 11:44 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 18, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"And somewhere, sometime, somehow, DCWoman88 will pay for obsessively wanting to suck on Gil's schlong but getting denied.

Posted by: | January 18, 2008 03:57 PM "

Your mom told me that your dad sucks her schlong.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 18, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse