Rolling along

It appears that the Wizards are trying to make a big run during the month of January for the second straight season. Last year, they went 10-5 during the month with a win over Chicago (that meant something last season) and two over Detroit. The push got Caron and Gilbert into the all star game and earned Eddie Jordan and his staff a trip to Vegas as well.

From my seat, the interesting thing about yesterday's impressive 102-84 win over the Mavericks was that I never had the sense that Dallas was going to make a serious run at it down the stretch. The Wiz kept hitting shots, maintained the defensive intensity and pulled away.

The quote of the day came from Dirk Nowitizki: "They have gotten a lot better defensively and they try to do all of the right things. They tried harder than us. They are definitely one of the best teams in the East."

Big game at Cleveland tomorrow night so I'll be asking the fellas about it today after practice. The Cavs are rolling right now as well, having won nine of their last 11. LeBron has been a beast of late and the bench has come up big as well so the game will be another nice little test for the Wizards.

A word on Oleksiy Pecherov: It was during a chat last week that I speculated that Pesh probably wouldn't make much of an impact this season after missing so much time with an ankle injury. Man, was I wrong. He's played well and Eddie Jordan obviously is comfortable putting him on the court. It will be extremely interesting to see how Eddie splits minutes between Brendan Haywood, Andray Blatche and Pesh from here on out.

By Ivan Carter |  January 22, 2008; 10:04 AM ET
Previous: Dallas blog | Next: My All-Star Ballot: Part I

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

GA back potentially 3/1, ET comes back... the emergence of OP...

Who gets squeezed out?

A deep bench is nice but you cant have a 11 man rotation... (DM rides the pine now anyway)

If I were coaching, I'd limit the rotation to 10 max and play DaS in situational match-ups against slower teams.

OP in the few games he's played has shown the ability to mix it up defensively and play a little organized offense.

Of all the players, AB has been the most frustrating. He needs to get the little man out of his head. His problem is all mental. He needs to find the balance of playing aggressive without trying to block every shot and getting into foul trouble. Bottom line is he needs to play, he is young and needs to develop into a reliable 10ppg 8rpg guy.

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 10:29 AM

One thing for sure, Ivan. Darius Songaila subbing in for Brendan should be a thing of the past. The team should take advantage of having its three tallest men on court, with Blatche able to play center, power and small forward at times.

EJ should also start setting up plays for Brendan Haywood. I saw a bit of the LAL-DEN game last night. Kobe Bryant made sure to involve Kwame Brown in plays, giving him some great passes. And Brown delivered, he even looked really good last night!

Posted by: rgz | January 22, 2008 10:39 AM

In regards to Kobe and Kwame, I really take my hat off to him and some of the other Laker players who stood up for Kwame and blasted the fans for booing. I believe with Kwame, it is mostly mental, a lack of confidence.

As for the Wiz, I truly hope they can pull one out against the Cavaliers. I may be hating, but I can't stand the arrogance of Lebron. True, dude has game, you cannot deny that but he just strikes me as arrogant. Oh well, Go Wiz!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 10:45 AM

Honestly if O-Pec continues to emerge, I think Etan is the odd man out minutes wise, although if he does get some minutes coming back, hopefully the will be spelling Jamison at the 4 so he can get some rest (although Songaila certainly needs to get some minutes there).
Isn't it amazing the Wizards after being thin for a lot of the season is now poised to have a lot of depth, how about that. So much for Abe Pollin's cheapness keeping this team from being successful.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 22, 2008 10:45 AM

There is absolutely no reason to sign a player to a max deal if the team is flourishing without him. If Les BouleS were tanking, then one could easily reason that Gilby is critical to the success of the team.

Clearly the team is doing great without him, so why bother overspending for Gilby? I'm sure Abe feels the same way.

Since AJ is Abe's favorite player, I'm sure Abe would rather pay up for him rather than Gilby.

Abe doesn't respond well to threats, so I doubt if he'll take mark's advice to ignore Gilby. No one does anyway.

It's funny though. mark tells people to ignore Gilby, but he continues to read Gilby's blog. mark tells people to ignore me, and he's reading my comments too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 22, 2008 10:47 AM

Wow, I never post here, but I just had to say that DCGirl88 is the biggest a-hole I've seen on the net in a while. What does is take for the Post to ban someone?

DCGirl88: Why all the hate on Gil? Did he reject your advances?

This team is going to be absolutely deadly when Gil returns. It's not that much of a homeristic stretch to think that they might become one of the three best teams in the league by the end of the season.

Posted by: JJ | January 21, 2008 05:23 PM

JJ he did get rejected wanting schlong and it hurt so bad after he's already had Kobe beef.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 10:53 AM

Hey Herb...
No one here is talking about GA and maxing him out. Why are you?

You can't talk about the Wiz w/o mentioning GA?

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 10:54 AM

EG is god.

Posted by: farstriker | January 22, 2008 10:57 AM

I think the odd man out, when and if Gilbert returns, will be either Songaila/Pech and sadly Roger Mason. The best nine, post Gil, are the current five with Arenas (initially off the bench at 1 or 2), Young (backing up 2 and 3), Pech/Songaila (4) and Blatche (4 or 5). If Blatche slips Songaila or Pecherov could take his place in that rotation. I would not assume Etan can come back this season, and frankly are better off without him even if he does.

Posted by: Buckworthy | January 22, 2008 10:58 AM

It will definitely be interesting to see how EJ runs Pesh, Thomas, AB and Song off the bench. Maybe now that AB is the back up center, we will see a little of that offensively challenged Thomas/Haywood front court that everyone is clamoring for...

Posted by: ledell eackles | January 22, 2008 11:05 AM

Let's hope EJ doesn't play every game as a must win. This team has established itself. It's a long season. To be ready and able for the playoffs, AJ,CB and AD should play less minutes for the next 20 or so games, and the subs should be battle tested under adverse conditions.

Posted by: Izman | January 22, 2008 11:09 AM

If we beat the Cavs say hello to the team no other team wants to see in the playoffs.

Damn, remember how much of a bummer it was being bullets/wiz fans in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. EG has saved the day for our team.

GO WIZ KIDSSS!!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | January 22, 2008 11:10 AM

The sky is blue. DC Man88 hates Gilbert. Both are facts and nothing anyone can do about it. Fortunately, DC Man88 doesn't speak for or coach the Wizards. Anyone that says get rid of your star player because your team is playing well in the REGULAR SEASON without him just doesn't know much about the NBA. Ask the Mavericks if anyone cares about the regular season. Sure the Wiz are doing well now and we applaud them for it. But come playoff time, you need star players like Gilbert to win anything. The Detroit Pistons were an aberration. Besides, all Gilbert has done is lead this team to consecutive playoff appearances. Until the team gets to the playoffs without him, you simply can't justify getting rid of him.

About max contract, really what do you expect a player to want? A non-max contract? Would you use that as your opening gambit in a contract negotiation? Please!

Posted by: Bart | January 22, 2008 11:21 AM

I think Eddie Jordan has to be in discussions for coach of the year. The way he has these guys playing is just sweet to watch. And of course, Caron Butler has to be in the mix for Most Improved Player.

Posted by: Bart | January 22, 2008 11:23 AM

Unfortunately the schedule now gets much tougher. There are 2 west coast trips where we play all the big dogs.

I dont know about you, but I want the Southeast crown. I want the 3rd seed at least.

We still need to win games and I'm not comfortable playing AB, DaS or OP more minutes against the Spurs, Suns and Lakers of the world.

Hopefully, GA will come back and will be able to fit into the mix and give us 25 and 6.

If we dont get the 3rd seed, then we would be battling CLE for the 4th seed. I'd rather play TOR or ATL than CLE or ORL.

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 11:31 AM

Pesh will get the opportunity over the next 4-6 weeks to solidify his position in the rotation. Pesh does alot of good things with his size/length combined with a high energy level off of the bench. If he can start to find his stroke as he rounds into game shape he could be a huge asset to the second team, unlike most 7 footers he doesn't hesitate to pull the trigger, even 25ft out. Anyone defending Pesh needs to stay in his face, clearing a 4 or 5 man out of the lane.

When Arenas comes back I would love to see a second team of Gil, Mason, NY, Pech, AB. Depending on matchups you could even move AB to 3 and have DSong play the 5. Either line up could spread the floor and allow Gil to go to work. This would allow Gil to get his legs back during the first couple of weeks he is back.

Defense could be an issue with this lineup and hopefully the younger guys don't just stand around and watch Gil.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 11:43 AM

If Caron isn't one of the 5 best in the East right now, i don't know who is. EJ needs to watch him because he only plays in 5th gear. We need him to maintain his intensity when gilbert gets back and keep the team playing the way it is now.

Posted by: Tuff Joos | January 22, 2008 11:45 AM

DCMan - the Suns flourished without Amare Stoudemire, but had he been in a contract year, I don't think there would have been any doubt about signing him to a max contract.

The Wizards will be even better once Gil returns. And Antawn is on his max deal right now, don't expect him to get another. There is not a team out there that would give him a max deal, so why would the Wizards bid against themselves and do it? They wont, and they wont have to.

Posted by: 2cents | January 22, 2008 11:52 AM

I would hate to see the return of Etan and Arenas and the emergence of Pecherov result in decreased minutes for Mason, Haywood, Blatche and Songalia.

First and foremost, I would like to see it result in reduced minutes for Butler, Jamison and Daniels. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Wizards roll in December and January then falter a bit, and Jordan plays his big 3 big minutes. Butler, Jamison and Daniels have been warriors this year. They could use a bit of a break, like 4 or 5 less minutes per game through the middle part of the season.

Posted by: Sean | January 22, 2008 11:54 AM

I would just like to say that i'm satisfied with all of our main players, from Gilbert, Caron, Antawn, Antonio, Deshawn, Brendan, , Blatch, Roger, Nick, etc. I'm just appreciating, and wanting to keep, the entire team as of now! Go wiz! Let's continue to improve and get stronger by the early spring.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:05 PM

With the emergence of several players this year; most notably Blatche, Mason, Young, and seemingly Pech, it would make one assume that Ernie has a lot of assets with which to work a deal. This team is already filled to the brim cap wise, so I could see Ernie trading some one like a Songaila or a Blatche (both have cap-friendly contracts) to make room for next year's deals for Arenas and Jamison.

Posted by: Tuna | January 22, 2008 12:13 PM

I clicked submit before i was ready. I can see Ernie trading some one like Songaila or Blatche (Or even both) for an expiring deal to create more room for 2008-09's salary cap, as we know Abe ain't gonna pay the luxury tax (nor should he).

Posted by: Tuna | January 22, 2008 12:14 PM

Blatche has been in a bit of a lull the last month or so. He needs to go back to playing inspired ball like he did early in the season. The Wiz can be even more dangerous if he does that and we're not even talking about ___ yet... Shhhhh, don't wake the troll everyone.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:16 PM

Tuna, they don't need to trade either for cap room and EG hell ain't gonna trade Blatche, we know that. AJ is maxed out at 16M and he isn't gonna get that on a new contract from the Wiz or anyone else.

Signing him to a new contract for less than 12M/yr is right and with that saving will be enough to sign Gil to a new contract.

Songaila is a great role player and provides good depth on this team. Don't just trade him willy nilly.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:22 PM

We need to end the talk of Gil's role when he comes back. Soon enough, somebody important will get hurt, and we'll need Gil to carry us. With all the minutes CB is playing, it's just a matter of time before...I won't say it.

Posted by: Cballer | January 22, 2008 12:24 PM

The rotation will work itself out. It will be nice to have depth, especially come playoffs. Also it's nice to have players that bring different skillsets depending on matchups.

Haywood obviously is the starting center. Etan would provide a nice alternative to Blatche off the bench, in times when Blatche is not playing well or has foul trouble. You can use Blatche when you want more speed and athleticism, Etan when you want more of a physical pressence. Pesh is a nice big man alternative who can shoot from outside.

You also have the option of bringing in Etan off the bench at the 5 with Blatche off the bench at the 4, for a big lineup to control the paint. You can come off the bench with Etan, Blatch and Pesh all together.

Songaila may see his role reduced a bit, no longer needing to fill in at center, and Blatche or Pesh being used a bit more at PF. Blatche and Pesh getting more time at the forward spots can also allow us to use Caron some at the 2.

But I see nothing but positives from this. When you look at the basic positions, and the talent and depth at each spot, we are looking really strong. If fully healthy, I see no reason why this team shouldn't compete for the finals.

Center:
Haywood, Blatche, Etan
PF:
Jamison, Pesh, Songaila
SF:
Caron, McGuire
SG:
Stevenson, Young, Mason
PG:
Arenas, Daniels

Posted by: Darnell | January 22, 2008 12:26 PM

I agree with your lineup Darnell. Gilbert definitely needs to stay and Etan needs to come in and back up Haywood & Blatche.

Posted by: anon | January 22, 2008 12:34 PM

Depending on some matchups, I really like a tall lineup of AJ, Blatche, and Haywood at the 3,4, and 5 positions. You can also sub Pesh for Blatche if you need more outside shooting too. Those combination of players complement each other really well.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 12:47 PM

Can I get a rematch with Gil?

See Me No More.

Posted by: DeShawn Stevenson | January 22, 2008 12:53 PM

Once everyone is healthy, the Wiz will truly have an embarrasment of Riches. EJ's main issue will be how to manage ego's and capable personnel. We will be the Deepest team in the East 1-11, thanks to the Architect EG. Not only that, it's all sustainable over 5 years or so because of youth and contracts!

Posted by: Janitor | January 22, 2008 1:12 PM

Darnell, It's a nice deep team that is very well balanced when all hands on deck. If Etan is able to regain his ability to play with intensity and strength at the five he'll have a role against the big guys that shove Blatche around inside.

The kid just isn't strong enough yet to duel with some of the league's power guys, but beyound strength his footwork still needs work. He's still prone to allowing guys to get a body into him and disrupting his game.

Pecherov is not nearly as gifted as Blatche, but boy does that kid have good fundimental skills. I can see why Grunfeld was talking about him eventually being a fit at the five in the Princeton.

With this young bench and the team finally having a consistant force scheme on defense along with improved free throw shooting many of the major short comings of last year's squad have been laid to rest.

I'd trade the talent and upside of these youngsters for the limited bench of last year anytime. Grunfeld has yet to see the team he's assembled at full strength, and he's manuvered to have enough cap space to keep them together this summer.

Coming off wins over Boston and now Dallas, I can't imagine Ernie's thinking about how to break this bunch up. Can't think that the players or coaches are thinking that way either.

Like many, my big concern is the minutes Caron and Jamison are logging, the solution would seem to be having the team's leading scorer available down the stretch to take some of the load off.

Posted by: GM | January 22, 2008 1:12 PM

Gilbert for Pau gasol and mike conley!!!

Sign and trade Gilbert the team is better off without him

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 1:15 PM

If Etan does return, my guess is that, after he works himself back into shape, he and Blatche becomes the 1A and 1B primary backup at C (with Thomas getting the first call against the bigger, stronger Cs) and that Blatche and Pecherov get most of their minutes at PF, with the occasional spot duty at C.

Having too much talent is always a better option than no enough, so however it works out the team is better off than they were before.

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 1:44 PM

Pau is a champion!

Memphis has been amazing because of him.
I would trade 15 Gilby's for 1 Pau!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 1:56 PM

"It will be extremely interesting to see how Eddie splits minutes between Brendan Haywood, Andray Blatche and Pesh from here on out."

Not really.

Jordan is loyal to his vets, and I don't see Haywood losing minutes. Blatche's are another story all together because it seems like his are alreay going down.

The real story is when Etan comes back. Then what do you do?

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 22, 2008 2:05 PM

Memphis is really tearing it up with a team built around Pau Gasol. I really thought last spring the Wiz should have made a run at Gasol over the summer.

Haywood's play, the potential of our young backups inside and Gasol's lack of ability to be a difference maker on a winning team have combined to change my mind.

In NBA trades quantity never seems to equal quality. Teams seldom make out trading a top 15 player and not getting one in return. Even Conley's upside wouldn't be enough to make that deal real attractive.

Besides Memphis would be very reluctant to trade a player under contract(Gasol) and a high 1st rounder that is under control under his rookie deal for 3 more seasons for an injuried player that can opt out.

Pulling one like that and then having the player you got opt out for greener pastures is a sure way for Wallace to get the boot. The only time teams will pull a number like that is when the owner is in full scale salary purge mode. Heisley would be putting a gun to his head with the Memphis fans.

Posted by: GM | January 22, 2008 2:12 PM

It's Gilbert, Gil, Agent Zero, Hibachi, or Agent Arenas....NOT "Gilby"

Posted by: Lisa | January 22, 2008 2:13 PM

"Sign and trade Gilbert"

I meant when the season is over. I just think Gilbert is overrated and will only hurt the team when he comes back unless he actually plays 6th man(we will see how long that lasts.) Why not trade him for a young talented point and all-star calibur C. I know Pau hasn't won any big games but you put him with jamison, caron, daniels, and stevenson it could turn out different. Everyone is calling conley a left handed chris paul so I think think it would be more than worth it.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 2:20 PM

Gilby needs to be traded. If earne is such a great GM he will see Gilby isn't the final piece for this team and we need to trade him

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 2:22 PM

Maybe gilbert arenas and a 1st rounder for chris paul he is a true point like daniels and look how daniels is working our offense imagine a quicker younger and better jumpshot tru point gaurd

Posted by: Fulvio | January 22, 2008 2:36 PM

Kwame looked good last night??? Are you kidding. Denver made a run when Kwame kept getting abused by Camby. Denver came all the way back because of that. The Lakers took command again when Jackson yanked Kwame and put in Turiaf. Kwame's +- rating last night was -14 and they won by a lot. And please don't say all he's missing is confidence. If you stink, you stink. Butler for Brown one of the greatest trades in NBA history.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 2:36 PM

You know I have figured it out. All of these trade Gilbert posters must be from other teams around the league and would like to see the Wiz fail. Otherwise, as Ivan, Michael Lee, Wilbon, Kornheiser and so many other players and coaches around the league have stated, it would be utterly ridiculous to trade Gilbert. Come on now. You can blast me with your hate responses all you want because in no shape or form does it make sense to trade Gilbert and if you think the Wiz can go deep in the playoffs with out him. Think Again.

Posted by: Ultimate Wiz Fan | January 22, 2008 2:39 PM

I'm glad Nick made the post about Gilby wanting to max out. The idiot mark said to ignore Gilby because he doesn't mean what he says.

I guess in mark's world, Gilby will change his mind and instead ask for minimum wage. mark is almost as gullible as GM.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 22, 2008 2:57 PM

Posted by: | January 22, 2008 02:22 PM
-------------------------------------------
Who is this Earne fellow? If you speak of Grunfeld, well he has already proven he is a great GM by the Kwame for Caron trade alone. Not to mention drafting Pesh, locking up Blatche, not re-signing Jeffries & Hughes, etc.

Posted by: Confucius | January 22, 2008 3:03 PM

I know Gilbert on a personal level and he needs that max contract because he's got a lot of kids on the down low with a lot of women. Not as bad as Travis Henry, but pretty bad.

Posted by: Lisa | January 22, 2008 3:05 PM

PLEASE STOP WITH THE "GILBY". THATS THE GAYEST KNICKNAME AROUND.

Posted by: MIKEREESE23 | January 22, 2008 3:06 PM

Rucker Park, NYC: Mr. Wilbon -- Please tell me your take on the Wizards and what to expect when Gilbert comes back. If they play like they are currently, only adding in the scoring and killer instinct of Gil, can they challenge for the Eastern Conference championship? They seem to match up real well with the only powers in the East, Detroit and Boston. They should at least be able to get to the 2nd or 3rd round, right??

Michael Wilbon: You've made very good points, but here's my question: Will Gilbert be satisfied and productive with a reduced role? Will he want and expect to take the last shot in a big game? Will the team chemistry change? Will the defense be weakened? There's a lot to wonder about...Clearly, the defense is better without him in the lineup. Coincidence? Perhaps. Gil is certainly a good enough athete and studies the game enough to be a better defender. And the offense has much better flow without him. The shot distribution is better. There's no question about that. Now, if Gilbert, as he told The Post's Mike Wise the other day, understands he needs to fit into what the team is doing NOW, then the Wizards will really be dangerous in the playoffs.

Posted by: Goomba | January 22, 2008 3:08 PM

MIKEREECE23 has it exactly right. Except for one thing. Les BouleS is the gayest nickname around.

Posted by: JE | January 22, 2008 3:13 PM

The name "Gilby" rocks.

Posted by: Neck of Eackles | January 22, 2008 3:14 PM

re: name Gilby

Maybe the name fits the person. Is Gilbert Arenas gay? Does "Agent Zero" stand for something else? He likes to go on the down low with her hole?

Posted by: Neck of Eackles | January 22, 2008 3:16 PM

DC Man knows when!

When Gilby is naughty
When Gilby is nice

DC man sees that...

sometimes Gilby says what comes to his mind
sometimes Gilby manipulates us with the truth
sometimes Gilby fails to manipulate us

The big question here isn't about how good or bad Gilby might or might not make our team or any other in the sport of pro basketball or water polo!

The big question here is (Laura pick up that sock!) ...is how many posts will it take to convince DC man to trade Gilby!

If it weren't for Gilby we'd have at least 2 championships* by now!

Let him know how you feel!

* Aqua Polo the sport of sports!

VIVA DC MANG!

Posted by: i smoke | January 22, 2008 3:18 PM

Gilby rocks. Woof Woof!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 3:25 PM

As much as i know Gilby hurts this team, I do enjoy the activities in his coloring book...

Posted by: i smoke | January 22, 2008 3:32 PM

FIRST!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 3:33 PM

Posted by: Confucius | January 22, 2008 3:35 PM

Posted by: Confucius | January 22, 2008 3:43 PM

This might sound funny to any non b-ballers but,when DeShawn Stevenson scores atleast 15pts we usually win. The reason we win w/o Gil is because our margin for error is much smaller. Now I heard this directly from a wizard(not Harry Potter), "We know Gils not here and we've been working harder to compensate. Gil makes the game easier on offense and really coach Ayres should get credit for the defensive structure he brought in." What I heard out of that is- if you keep tellin someone to cook, cook cook, Use these ingredients and get it done. But dont show them how high the heat should be, what spices to use, what pot to use they could cook it but it probably wont be good because everybody cant cook. They been screamin defense defense but Randy came in and showed them what pot to use. Gil will follow suit because, he wants to win more than score points, he just needs to know where the season-all is and how much to use. Besides the Hibatchi is needed in close guarters, games and possessions. Caron is an all star, Jamison an all star. But if you think were comin out of the east w/o Gil YOU COULD BE RIGHT. But I doubt it. Really doubt it. You dont trade a superstar w/o gettin one in return OR ATLEAST 3 ROLE PAYERS +a 1ST RD PICK AND.... THATS WHY YOU JUST DONT DO IT JUST TO DO IT. Look how fast people are gettin off the Giltrain. Remenber the obscurity we played in pre-hibatchi? Now were on TV 8xs as much. THERES NO GLITCH IN THIS MATRIX. GIL IS OUR NEO AND WE SHOULD WAIT AND SEE BEFORE GIVIN UP ON THE HOPE THAT HE WILL FIT IN TO THIS TEAM!!! BIGMIKEREESE - THE TRUTH

Posted by: MIKEREESE23 | January 22, 2008 3:45 PM

Of course DeShawn is saying Gil makes this game easier on offense. That means DS doesn't have to score or do anything, just collect a paycheck.

In the same light, Gil makes the defense that much harder for everyone else because he doesn't play any defense.

Posted by: Furio | January 22, 2008 3:50 PM

Darnell,

If you look at Wizards website, you will find that the team lists Pech at C-F and Blatche at F. So as Pech is getting familiar with the system, I would like to see him backup Haywood at the center, and Blatche moved to PF. A center who can shoot outside shot, that's exactly what EJ was looking for and tried to use Songaila in the past. Unfortunately, Songaila isn't tall enough (and can not jump high enough to make up for the height deficiency). Pech should be an ideal center for EJ.

As for Etan, I do not see him getting play time unless other bigs get hurt. Etan lacks the ball handling skill of Blatche and Pech. His style is similar to Haywood, but Haywood plays much better this season. So I don't think it is a good thing to cut into Haywood's play time in order for Etan to play. Spreading play time among too many people is not a good thing. The end result may be none of them gets enough PT to be effective.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 22, 2008 3:57 PM

Sagabila, ballhandling skills aren't really high up on the requirements for an NBA C. And Blatche's ballhandling skills seem to too often result in him committing charges by blindly driving the ball to the hoop through traffic.

If Etan plays (and he likely will, albeit limited minutes) it won't be to handle the ball on the break. It'll be to rebound, defend, block shots and provide a physical presence, the same things he did before the surgery.

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 4:02 PM

Furio knows!

Furio played with Gil!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 4:15 PM

I think we all need to get a little perspective here.

Dick Cheney has been making all of Gil's decisions for the last 3 years. Once a new regime is in power Gil will be able to play defense. The sky will stop falling...

And acne will be banished from the kingdom like kwame...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 4:19 PM

One thing coach Ayers has done is been consistant in the way the Wiz apply defensive pressure.

Last year we saw the Wiz trying to apply multiple defensive schemes to confuse the opposing team. More often then not it was the Wiz that seemed confused and generally lack execution defensively.

At the NBA level it's not what plays you run, it's how well they are executed. John Stockton and Malone ran the simplest two man play in basketball over and over. Everybody in the arena knew what they were going to do, and team's still couldn't stop it because of their talent and their ability to execute at such a high level.

The Wizards' defensive improvement this year is built around their ability to execute at a higher level. That comes from repetition and attention to details in positioning and footwork.

The Wizards don't arrive a step late on rotations because now they know in advance how their teammate is playing and where he's steering his man to get help. The consistancy in scheme is getting everybody on the same page.

Back in the opening games some of us commented on the fact that the Wizards' defense had been broken down to the most elemental level. Somebody commented that it was like they were taking defense 101, the question was could they become more advanced?

At this point they're not playing a very complicated scheme, but in this recent run of games they are executing at a very high level. The evidence of a good teacher is really strong, since a rookie that missed months seems to be able to come in and the team defense still clicks when he's on the floor.

I'm sure Veterans like Gil and Etan can pickup on what their teammtes are doing as quickly as a rookie with a language barrier.

Posted by: GM | January 22, 2008 4:20 PM

Yo, Furio playing balls between Gil's legs don't count!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 4:22 PM

I think Gil plays with Gil too. That's why he booted Laura out of the house.

Posted by: Furio | January 22, 2008 4:23 PM

Yo, Furio playing balls between Gil's legs don't count!

Posted by: | January 22, 2008 04:22 PM

ROFL!

Posted by: john | January 22, 2008 4:24 PM

yay!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 4:25 PM

I attest to the statement that Gilbert doesn't pass, and he especially does not play defense. I balled all summer with him at Barry Farms.

Posted by: Tyrone Leon Jenkins | January 22, 2008 4:27 PM

I heard some good stuff from Chris Broussard of ESPN this morning, and he was exactly right.

He basically said that during the season, most teams don't have that much time to prepare for the princeton-type offense like the Wizards use. But during the playoffs where there's more time to prepare and analyze Jordan's offense, defenses know what's coming and will be ready to handle it.

That's why Arenas is so important to this team. They have two options when he's in: they can run the offense anyway, and then Arenas can create his own shot and drive and get to the free throw line. When he's healthy, he gives the Wiz opponents something else to worry about.

His return, combined with the play of Butler and Jamison and the emergence of an improved defense, should spell trouble for anyone who faces the Wiz in the playoffs.

Posted by: Krem | January 22, 2008 4:34 PM

"Yo, Furio playing balls between Gil's legs don't count!

Posted by: | January 22, 2008 04:22 PM "

The secret is out. Gilbert goes both ways, and I don't mean offense and defense.

Posted by: Neck of Eackles | January 22, 2008 4:35 PM

This is in re: to Lisa's comments about gil having alot of kids on the dl. YOU F'N STINK @#$ &*%$#. IF YOU KNOW HIM WHY YOU PUTTIN THE MAN BUISNESS OUT THERE LIKE YOU TMZ OR SOMEBODY? I seriously hate lowlifes. Oh yeah that GILBY name is terrible. El terrible. Le terrible!

Posted by: BIGMIKEREESE | January 22, 2008 4:42 PM

PEOPLE WHO MAKE GAY JOKES ARE USUALLY GAY OR CURIOUS NO? BESIDES, ALL THE GUYS MAKING GAY GILBERT JOKES DO PROBABLY WANT HIM. GILBY IS A GAY SOUNDING KNICKNAME. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE UP ANOTHER?

Posted by: BIGMIKEREESE | January 22, 2008 4:47 PM

I saw something earlier today that makes a lot of sense.

The Wizards are running more of the Princeton Offense without GA because there isnt really a player that can create off of the dribble, only when NY is in the game do we see isolation plays really. Teams dont have time to practice and prepare against the Princeton O during the regular season, during the post season, its a different story. Teams will prepare for PO and thats when having a player like GA will be most beneficial.

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 4:51 PM

ANYBODY WHO SAY THEY PLAYED W/ GILL AND HE DONT PASS, WHY SHOULD HE PASS "YOU" THE BALL YOU SCRUB. THE 14TH MAN OFF THE BENCH WOULD PUT 75 PTS ON YOUR HEAD IN THEIR BEST I/R SUIT AND HARD BOTTOM SHOES. THE NERVE OF SOME OF YALL! CUT IT OUT. THIS GIL DONT PLAY ANY D IS GONE TOOOOOO FAR. THE MAN PLAYS D JUST NOT VERY WELL. IT AINT BUT A FEW GOOD DEFENSIVE PLAYERS IN THE LEAGUE AND REAL BALL FANS KNOW THEIR FIRST NAMES;BRUCE, SHANE, RON, KOBE, TAYSHAUN, TIM. GIL IS JUST NOT ONE OF THOSE GUYS. IT AINT BUT A COUPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD I'D TRADE GIL FOR EITHER. CAUSE MOST OF THEM DEFENDERS CANT DO WHAT GIL CAN DO, CAUSE WHEN THE #%^& HITS THE FAN AND WE NEED THAT LAST BUCKET, THE ONLY PERSON IN THE LEAGUE I'D RATHER TAKE THE LAST SHOT OTHER THAN KOBE IS AGENT 0 BABY!!! PRICELESS

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 5:00 PM

I'm willing to bet that the post about Gilbert's kids was not the real Lisa. Just a guess. "Starbury" is a gay knickname. "Gilby" is a gay nickname. Sorry couldn't resist.

Posted by: Confucius | January 22, 2008 5:06 PM

Posted by: | January 22, 2008 05:00 PM

wtf?

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 5:13 PM

Either somebody here has multiple personality disorder, or this blog suddenly has a lot more readers. I'm leaning toward the former.

Posted by: DC Sybil 88 | January 22, 2008 5:45 PM

Even when Gil comes back I hope we have seen the end of isolation plays for the most part, especially at the end of the game. We have a lot of weapons out on the floor as it is and it is a waste it seems to me to ever run that play.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 22, 2008 5:50 PM

They haven't eliminated isolation plays, George. Nor should they. If a player has a favorable match up, any smart coach would want him to take advantage of it. The problem is when it becomes the team's primary/default mode.

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 6:01 PM

Anyone who thinks the reason the Wiz are doing better without Gil is smokin crack. The biggest change has been our D schemes and our improved and deeper bench.

Have you seen us double down on the wings at all this season? Not too too much. Are we constantly playing passing lanes? Not too too much. We're finally playing team D, where everyone is responsible for his own man or zone. Not this double teaming, jump the passing lanes BS we've been doing the last three years. This isn't due to Gil's absence (he was actually playing his best D I've ever seen before he went down, if you actually watch the games) it's due to Ayers. Hell, Jamison is even playing good D in the post...where'd THAT come from...not from Gil not being there.

Once he comes back, our offense will go up and our D will stay on par for the season. Gil has a team built around him, which is all he's wanted since he's been here.

Posted by: oscrogo | January 22, 2008 6:03 PM

I did not make any of the above comments about Gil! I'm a huge Gilbert fan and could care less how many children he has or who with.

I have been at work all day long and have not even looked at the blog until now.

That was the DCIdiot posting under my name. I simply cannot understand how the Washington Post can allow him to continue posting on here! He is sick and deranged.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 22, 2008 6:07 PM

Posted by: bowie, md | January 22, 2008 6:10 PM

Shoot, this site is getting way too deep for an old guy like me.

Anyways, big test coming up with Cleveland home and home. If Caron plays anywhere near close to even up with LeBron and Brendan neutralizes Z and Andy the Flopper on the offensive boards, this could get interesting.

The other key is pressuring the Cavs 3-point shooters, primarily Gibson and Damon Jones, on kickouts to the three point circle. If they get open looks, it's lights out.

Now if only you bloggers will stop worrying about balls and keep focused on ballin'....

Posted by: khrabb | January 22, 2008 6:17 PM

I loved that Oden comment. The sarcasm was hilarious.

It seems a lot of people just like to overreact about how much better the Wiz are without Arenas or whoever instead of just enjoying how things are going. Go Wizards, that's all I have to say....

Posted by: Krem | January 22, 2008 6:27 PM

Yeah, Well I DO SMOKE!

But that hasn't stopped me from buying in to everything DC man has to say!

Smoking doesn't stop the truth from truthing!

Remember that next time you try to wag your calm and reasonable nature in MY face!
Talk about prejudice!

DC Man-O-Mango-Berry just happens to be unsweetened!

(My personal fAv was PurpleSaurus Rex)

PS. If Gilby is a gay nickname then my life is a farce!

Posted by: i smoke | January 22, 2008 6:41 PM

Its obvious DCMan88 has no job, doesnt go to school, just nothing. All he ever does is sit at his computer and respond to these blogs. Get a life man.

Posted by: Roman | January 22, 2008 6:52 PM

I had a place in my heart for "The Great Bluedini" and I always wanted "Sharkleberry Fin" to be better than it was...

man... this is really making me want to kick back and check out a vhs of (NBC's) Dinosaurs.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 22, 2008 6:53 PM

Laura, Gilby's babies's momma and the babies are history. Gilby is busy dating someone else now, and she can afford to hire a cleaning lady:

----------------------------------------------

Hey, Isn't That ...

Gilbert Arenas and Mya hanging out at Gazuza on Friday night. The Wizards star and the singer brought five friends to the trendy Dupont Circle bar, where they ordered drinks and two hookahs: apricot tobacco and cherry tobacco.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 22, 2008 7:09 PM

"Hell, Jamison is even playing good D in the post...where'd THAT come from...not from Gil not being there.

Posted by: oscrogo | January 22, 2008 06:03 PM "

interesting point, oscrogo...sorry, I haven't been watching the games because of work and everything, so can anyone confirm this? Did Jamison really expand his vocabulary to include the letter "D" now? If so, I wonder how people who are convinced that Gil can't or won't improve his defense explain this? I mean...Jamison's influence on Gil alone (kind of the big brother thing) should be evidence that maybe we'll be seeing a new Arenas when he gets back?

Posted by: babbtong | January 22, 2008 7:42 PM

Posted by: satch | January 22, 2008 8:16 PM

Posted by: satch | January 22, 2008 8:18 PM

Posted by: bowie, md | January 22, 2008 06:10 PM

Love it. Genius.

Posted by: Adam | January 22, 2008 8:24 PM

"I liked the comment from Charles Barkley yesterday, saying that Eddie Jordan deserves serious consideration as coach of the year. I'm not sure who else, other than the Celtics coach and maybe Phil Jackson, would be in the running."

Nate McMillen is probably the leading candidate.

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 8:36 PM

I see your point kalorama> It seems to when they run their normal offense if they see a mismatch then they can get the ball to that person in the flow as opposed to the damn 1-4 set, everybody clear out play that I can't stand. Especially because with a team with as many weapons as the Wizards will have when Gilbert returns, it seems a waste not to make the defense defend everyone.

Posted by: George Templeton | January 22, 2008 9:50 PM

kalorama,

Ball handling skill isn't necessary for a traditional C, but evidence has shown that EJ likes to employ a more mobile C with outside shooting capability (which sometimes would also requires him to handle the ball a little bit so the defender cannot play too close to him) than just a receive-the-ball-down-low type of traditional center. That is why even last season when both Haywood and Etan were healthy, EJ still employed Songaila at center sometimes (too often in many of our eyes).

So regardless what you and I think, "centers" like Haywood and Etan together would not get 48 minutes of playtime on this team (not last year, let alone this season when Pech and Blatche also need minutes).

Haywood right now gets 27 minuets a game by coach's decision, if you slice his minutes further (say split it 17-10), I do not think it would be productive.

Besides, Even if we assume Etan gets full recovery and back to his old self, his old self would not be better than Haywood is playing right now, as Haywood has really improved from last season.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 22, 2008 9:54 PM

I really dont see ET getting much of any playing time. I agree w/ you Sagaliba.

Posted by: JSchon | January 22, 2008 10:05 PM

"Ball handling skill isn't necessary for a traditional C, but evidence has shown that EJ likes to employ a more mobile C with outside shooting capability..."

What "evidence"? The only evidence of that is the fact that he plays Blatche as the primary backup C, which he does because, with Etan out, he had no other choice. He puts Songaila in, not for his shooting, but because he's stronger and less likely than Blatche to be pushed around in the paint against the bigger inside players. Based on Jordan's own (repeated) comments over the past few years, the primary qualities he looks for in a center is defense, rebounding, and protecting the paint, none of which is predicated on ballhandling or shooting. And it's quite clear that he likes what Thomas brings in these areas. If he didn't, Haywood's Homeboys wouldn't have had so much to complain about.

Blatche has done a nice job as backup C, but he's really a forward, and he's been shown to have a harder time with bigger, stronger C's. A healthy active Thomas would eliminate the need for Blatche to absorb that kind of physical pounding.

"In other words, baring any injury from the bigs, I do not see Etan's return can help this team."

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But I disagree and I'm fairly certain that Jordan would as well.

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 10:11 PM

As for Songaila playing C last season ... it had little to do with his outside shooting and more to do with Jordan's dwindling confidence in Haywood (something I would think you, of all people, would realize).

Posted by: kalorama | January 22, 2008 10:19 PM

I like Pech's ability to run the floor and shoot from the perimeter, but I think he could help the Wizards more by concentrating on getting position in the low block and scoring on short turnaround jumpers in the lane.

Posted by: John Brisker | January 22, 2008 10:29 PM

I'll throw in my two cents here in the ongoing GA saga and the rest.

First, for all the DCMAN hating, when he makes valid points or gives decent opinions just bc you don't like it does not mean you should start attacks against him. It's the whole do unto others rule! Don't be a hypocrite!

Anyway, I think most of us enjoyed the high octane entertaining non-championship caliber of play the last couple of years. After years of lousy basketball, it was a breath of fresh air. But, I like the way we play now more than ever and this team has been molded in the personality of Butler and it's better off for it. As Wilbon states time and again it will be interesting to see how the team and GA adjust to each other. It could work or it may not. I guess we'll see soon enough. At this point, I'm more of a fan of Butler and worry that giving GA max dollars will cripple this team for the future. What happened to GA taking a discount to stay on a winning team? 80 million is not enough? Bottom line - I've been singing the praises of EG and I trust his judgments whatever they turn out to be. There are worse problems to have for sure!

Finally, ET will be nice to have to combat the Howard's of the NBA. BH is having a nice season, but he's never exactly been a banger. Songalia tries, but is undersized!

One last nitpick - did not see the Dallas game, but the box score again showed major minutes being played by the starters. Why did Mason get 5 mins and AD played almost 40 on a bum knee? Again, sometimes consistent solid minutes leads to more consistent play. Just a nitpick though.

Posted by: Rob P | January 23, 2008 12:29 AM

So ok. Then the Wizards are going to top the east easily. Correct? There's no team that can stop them now.

They take the east including Detroit. They've already slaughtered Boston next they will decapitate Cleveland & big headed LeBron. After that, on to the West.

The Wiz can conceivable win the whole enchalata if they keep it up.

Posted by: Shopper3 | January 23, 2008 2:11 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 7:43 AM

"RobP, If 88 made OBJECTIVE points, it would be one thing. The fact is there could be 100 blog entries with no references to Gilbert and he manages to somehow insert 'Gilby' into the conversation. He has an obsession and after all these months of constant bashing, it's gotten old. If he'd back up off of Gilbert's nizzuts and concentrate on the Wizards and not 'Gilby', no one would hate him.

Posted by: | January 23, 2008 07:43 AM "

C'mon, as if I care!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 8:10 AM

Good post Rob P. My sentiments exactly about Gilby, but as you know well, people on this blog can't handle anything that criticizes or critiques Gilby's motives or play on the court.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 8:12 AM

Yawn.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 8:24 AM

Well he's up and at it early today. I'll check back later.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 8:40 AM

yep. this blog has been hijacked constantly for months by the same guy. shut it down.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:00 AM

LOL!

I've become way too popular on this blog. You people need to get a life.

Can the originator of that "PLEASE IGNORE DC MAN88'S POSTS....THEY ARE VULGAR.." bring it back?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 9:09 AM

Yeah, as much as I like the blog and how much Ivan and Michael keep us up to date, we don't really need a blog allowing posts when the same idiot hijacks the whole blog. So, I agree, just shut it down completely.

We all have lives to live, DCIdiot will just have to find one when this isn't around to hijack.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:12 AM

Yawn.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:18 AM

"

Posted by: | January 23, 2008 09:12 AM "

Why shut down this blog? Why don't you just shut yourself down and don't surf this blog? Nobody is putting a gun to your head and making you read any of the content.

Talk about pure, unadulterated idiocy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 9:43 AM

DC Man88/Lance/Herb is nauseating, predictable and unintelligent. Having said that there are plenty of bloggers here to have a civil and intelligent discussion.

Posted by: JSchno | January 23, 2008 9:59 AM

Posted by: | January 23, 2008 09:12 AM "

Talk about pure, unadulterated idiocy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 09:43 AM

So predictable. Right there shows you why this blog should be shut down.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:11 AM

Yawn....

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:13 AM

Ivan,

Anon has a point, you may want to go a different direction with your blog and look to shutting this down as the reason is obvious. Until there are better measures put into place against offenders of this site, it is probably the way to go.

Posted by: john | January 23, 2008 10:16 AM

DCMAN88, Your dog is so ugly you had to shave his ass and make him walk backwards.
Yo mama is so fat when she sits around the house, she sits AROUND the house.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:16 AM

HOW GOOD CAN A BLOG BE WHEN ALL ANYBODY POSTS IS "YAWN"!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:17 AM

Posted by: bowie, md | January 22, 2008 06:10 PM

As mentioned before, great analogy/post.

It's gonna be a reckoning in the East when the rest of the calvary gets healthy. I think we can edge Boston and give Detroit all it can handle if GA is 100%. The key will be our #2 position. If we can stay close with Detroit's #2's, including their bench #2's in point production, then I like our chances. We match up favorably or about even in all the other positions in the rotation.

Posted by: Janitor | January 23, 2008 10:19 AM

BTW, Ivan...
Jason has had Redskins Insider changed to force people to register and log in in order to post. Once you do that, there are easy ways for your network guys to track IP addresses and block them from posting. While it is possible to change IP addresses for a computer savvy person, it would probably prevent most ofenders from coming back. There is really only one that deserves to be banned.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:19 AM

Self described Wizards "fanatics" and those hanging out at Wizards locker rooms like Lisa should be banned. Too much bias and not enough even, fair-minded comments.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 10:22 AM

"Seems like Portland is better without Oden. They should trade him. If not, he will have to adjust his game to fit in with his team. He will have to stay away from the flashy dunks and blocked shots and play more of a team game.

Posted by: bowie, md | January 22, 2008 06:10 PM "

This idiotic post would only be relevant if we actually saw Oden in 4 seasons worth of games and he proved to be a one dimensional, self centered nut while asking for max money and avoiding being served by legal authorities.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 10:24 AM

"one dimensional"?..the rest of the diatribe is lunacy or irrelevant

Posted by: Janitor | January 23, 2008 10:28 AM

Now that was an even fairminded comment

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:29 AM

I agree completely!

Everyone here keeps try to change the subject, discussing other wizards and basketball stuff.

We need to thank DC Man for consistently bringing the conversation back to the one thing that we constantly need to discuss!

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 10:29 AM

DC Man,

I'm beginning to think that you aren't appreciated here!

I would be perfectly happy going to some far away blog board with you and posting away into eternity like two celestial harpies.

On our blog Gilby would never get a grotto or a max contract, and Laura well, I don't know... I don't like socks all over the place... but I would let it slide.

I worry about you, I worry your head could explode if Gilby does get a max contract... And I know this is impossible to imagine, but the idea of having Gilby come back and play well has crept into my mind on occasion. On our blog the only reality that matters is alpha blogger reality. We could leave these 'discussions' behind and make sweet bloggin.

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 10:40 AM

What the hell is going on here? The articles are great but some of these posts are pure lunacy. Ivan, HELP!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:40 AM

"Gilby + Grotto + Max Contract + Pick up that sock + Something about someone's mom. Anyone posting off topic needs to hang it up!

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 10:29 AM "

Don't forget to mention how great this team has been playing as of late, better chemistry, focus on D, everyone upping their offensive games, guys playing serious, but loose.

Previous years of BouleS ball used to be boring b/c you had one guy jacking up bombs from the outside without team play. Now, you see hustle, passing, fire.... Let's celebrate the beginning of the new season (while forgetting the first 7 games).

PS. See how positive I am, despite how many people have tried to get me going on the wrong foot today?

It's funny how people don't want vulgarity and all that kind of stuff from me, but it's a select few people who try to provoke me time and time again.

These losers are gluttons for punishment. If you want problems, go jump in front of a train. If you can't sleep, go get some prescription sleeping pills (re: the person who keeps yawning). I heard they work.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 10:46 AM

kalorama,

The "evidence" was in "last season." (Didn't I mention that, or you just intentionally ignore it? How about a little reminder on what I wrote: "That is why even last season when both Haywood and Etan were healthy, EJ still employed Songaila at center sometimes.")

So your entire post about "with Etan out, blah blah blah" was utterly irreverent.

Then you came up with a second post tried to savage it by claiming it was because the feud between EJ and Haywood. Well, did Etan feud with EJ? How come EJ had to play Songaila at center, while he could have given Etan more minutes? Etan averaged only 19 minutes a game last season, don't you think your boy Etan could have handled more minutes?

Obviously, you are blind to the evidence.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 23, 2008 10:47 AM

"DC Man,

I'm beginning to think that you aren't appreciated here!

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 10:40 AM "

Nah, why don't you go and be Gilby's buddy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 10:47 AM

lolololy,

i could never do that...

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 10:49 AM

ROBP...The only way that Dallas game was to be won WAS if Daniels and the regs played the entire game. Again, Mason IS NOT A PG. Very disorganized play..Once Avery Johnson & co. even smell he doesn't know what he's doing? Its lights out..His disfunction even throws off our main 3-4. Example? the houston game..The could have won that. But It was the most confusing game w/Mason at point. He's a bench player at best left to come off the bench-period. Ayers & Jordan know that. If you have a big opponent that you MUST control..don't put Mason at point or you will go d-o-w-n.

MY GIG CONGRATS TO RANDY AYERS FOR FINALLY TEACHING THE TEAM DEFENSE & HOW TO GET IN FOLKS FACES..IF DID NOT AND COULD NOT HAVE COME FROM EDDIE JORDON WHO SADLY...WILL GET ALL THE CREDIT. IF THEY COULD GIVE AN AWARD FOR "BEST DEFENSIVE/ASST. COACH OF THE YEAR" OR "UNSUNG HERO AWARD" rANDY AYERS IS THE RECEIPIANT.

These guys couldn't "PAY" for a defensive stop. Didn't know what one looked like!!until Dr. Ayers entered their our lives.

As we pray for the soldiers in Iraq pray for Randy Ayers they he may dwell in the land of Oz until a championship which appears to be imminent.

Posted by: NewMan | January 23, 2008 10:53 AM

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 10:56 AM

Posted by: kalorama
---------------------------------------------
As always, you are employing your selective memory. Your sentence before "none of which" is true, but EJ has also given Songaila's shooting ability as the reason he employed him at center in some situation last season. This comes directly from the horse's mouth.

Posted by: Sagaliba | January 23, 2008 11:00 AM

The Wiz were in 1st place at this point last year with Gilbert, so they couldn't have been playing that bad. I wasn't trying to attack you, I was just responding to your posts. You - "I hate Gilby like I have for the past year." Me -"Yawn." We know were you stand with Gilbert, and thats cool with me, loving Gilbert is not a requirement to posting on here. Posts are generally used to offer opinions and stimulate conversation. Many of your posts go back to "Gilby sucks", no matter what the topic is. I have heard it over and over again, and I am bored with it. Gilbert isn't even playing right now, but for some reason all we are talking about is his contract. Again, do not take this as an attack - you can post whatever you want and no one is forcing me to look at this blog. I was simply saying that the Gilbert talk is old.

Posted by: 1st & 2nd Yawn | January 23, 2008 11:09 AM

I think you've read way into my posts too much. Nobody said Gilby sucked. I've said in the past that Gilby is a great individual scorer.

What he does lack in is team offense and defense. Also, Gilby is very self absorbed with self promotion, and it was to his detriment with his knee.

Gilby is also obsessed with getting max money, which contradicts what he said a long time ago about not hamstringing the franchise. I guess for him, getting max money in his mind validates his eliteness among his peers despite him having little success in the playoffs.

Then, Gilby threatens to accept less money from another team if he doesn't get his way with getting max money. What does that say about him?

Then you have Gilby apologists like mark coming onto this blog and saying we should ignore whatever Gilby says because he will change what he said initially. Does anyone think Gilby will have a change of heart and accept minimum wage now?

Gilby is out injured now, and the team has shown that they are doing great right now. Now is not the time for Gilby to be talking about his contract and potentially leaving if he doesn't get his way.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:15 AM

"You need no provoking Herb... Heck you dont even need an audience or a topic about Gilbert...

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 10:56 AM "

You're clearly part of my audience because you keep reading and responding.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:18 AM

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:18 AM

"We ALL know how you feel about GA Herb... Thanks for the bullets points though, it will help organize it for everyone here...

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:18 AM "

No problem. Keep reading and learning.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:19 AM

No, I'm one of the intelligent bloggers trying to have civil discussion.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:20 AM

This DC dude is not only crazy but he lies as well. The above post is an out and out lie. He has said countless times how"Gilby" sucks, yada, yada, yada. What I don't get is why is he so concerned about Gilbert, his contract, who he dates or whatever. Dude or Dudette, Gilbert is a GROWN "A" man and can do whatever he chooses. I don't understand why anyone cares as long as it isn't personally affecting anyone posting here. I am a fan of Gilbert and he drives me crazy too sometimes, but, the fact remains, whether you like it or not, the Wizards are a BETTER team with him. Now, get the "Hell" over it, move on and let's talk some legitimate Wizards basketball!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 11:23 AM

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 11:36 AM

"No, I'm one of the intelligent bloggers trying to have civil discussion.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:20 AM "

You were?

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:38 AM

"Fair enough. If I have read too much into your posts, I am sorry. You made some valid points in that last post. I like Gilbert, but I am no apologist. I just feel that between his self-promotion and the media fawning, the guys that are acutally playing are being ignored, except maybe Caron. I'm sick of Gilbert and the guy has played in 8 games.

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 11:36 AM "

Cool, I agree.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 11:40 AM

Last year's team won big games, too, before the injuries started to mount. We won with offense last year and now we're winning with defense. Winning is winning. It remains to be seen what we do the rest of the year but there sure seems to be a lot of criticism about Gilbert when all his teams here in DC have done is win games with him.

Posted by: mark | January 23, 2008 11:50 AM

The national media has ignored this team, not anyone in here and I can safely say that most Wizard fans appreciate the brand of ball they are playing.

I do.

Its fun to watch even though it is defensive minded ball.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:56 AM

"For all the negativity about last year's team and GA 'chucking up shots', isn't it interesting to note that the team has one less win this year than it did at this point last year?

Posted by: mark | January 23, 2008 11:50 AM "

I guess what's missing in your post is that:

This is a great story that the team is only 1 game behind last year, and they lost both Gilby, ET, and Opech. This team has done miraculous things to overcome those obstacles and not only survive, but thrive! Most people would have guessed that Les BouleS would have tanked, but they would be wrong!

What does it say about a team that's missing it's top scorer and top promo dude, and the team is only 1 game behind last year? Sure does show that some players aren't as critical to the team's success as they think they are...oh wait, we have to wait 82 games to decide that and we haven't beaten anyone but dallas twice and boston twice...

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 12:05 PM

ivan/michael/readers of the wizards insider-

Where do I get a new Wizards replica customized jersey? Yeah I know you can last year's online, but I want the one from this years (the one online doesn't look to be this year's model).

As you can tell, the lettering is a bit different (more bronze, different blue?). I've seen a few fans walking around with them at games. Can we get them online or at the verizon center?

Thanks.

Posted by: jersey man | January 23, 2008 12:05 PM

"Its fun to watch even though it is defensive minded ball.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:56 AM "

To say that this is defensive minded ball is total BS.

CBut's numbers are up, and so are AJ's. DS is involved, and so are AD and BTH.

Please, Les BouleS are not playing Mike Fratello slow ball.

Defense is so much better, and the offense game has picked up dramatically. If Gilby was still healthy, we probably wouldn't have seen the emergency of CBut with his 3 point threat, driving, and also trips to the FT line which have him almost at 60 FT's in a row!!!!

AJ with his double double average! Yay!

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 12:08 PM

The Wizards aren't ignored by us on this blog on purpose, but eventually someone will bring up Gilbert (pro or con). Once that happens the blog turns into I hate or I love Gilbert. Then the posts somehow, someway will turn into personal attacks. For some reason we always get back to Gilbert.

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 12:26 PM

Herb... Herb... Herb...

CB is only scoring 2.7 more ppg and AJ is scoring 1ppg more. DS numbers are down from 11.2ppg last year to 9.6ppg this year.

Of course AD is involved, he starts now in place of GA.

BTH is a different player because he is playing more minutes and doesnt have the distraction of the ET and EJ mental game, and he's shooting so much better from the line, almost 19% better.

What do you have next for me to educate you on Lance?

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:26 PM

And there isnt anything wrong with that.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:28 PM

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:33 PM

"You have DC Man88 to thank for that. He has a creepy infatuation for GA. He talks about his personal life and just goes into nauseating diatribes about him. He has been like that as long as I've been here.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:33 PM "

You know what, nobody would know anything about Gilby's personal life if Gilby himself didn't announce to the world everything that he's thinking and doing. Go thank Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 12:41 PM

"The Wizards are winning because of their defense. The offensive numbers are down, and thats what happens when you lose GA and expend extra energy on the defensive side of the game.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:26 PM "

LOL!

This team is playing great offense now b/c the play is actually interesting to watch, rather than one guy jacking up a ton of shots.

Les BouleS are winning because of their great D and because the offense is way more balanced.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 12:33 PM
-------------------------------------------

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 12:54 PM

"I don't totally disagree with that. But you ignored all of the people who post nauseating diatribes against DC Man. So now we have gone from talking about the Wiz, to talking about Gilbert, to talking about DC Man, which quite frankly is creepier than him talking about Gilbert.

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 12:54 PM "

I'm really glad that you noticed that.

When I report on Gilby, people on this blog get irritated and thus start their diatribes against me. Then they blame me when I return the favor. It's a silly cycle.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 12:56 PM

And yes, I do recognize the irony in me posting about DC Man and not the Wizards to say "post about the Wizards and not DC Man".

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 12:57 PM

It's becoming pretty much a waste of time tuning into this to now read 88'er debate debating about if he's debating himself or if he's debating Arenas or if he's debating people debating about him constantly debating being debated...

Posted by: GM | January 23, 2008 1:08 PM

No, I'm one of the intelligent bloggers trying to have civil discussion.

Posted by: JSchon | January 23, 2008 11:20 AM

----
No, this blog, like most, is short on intelligence and long on bluster, and of course an obsession with Gilbert Arenas that borders on the crazy. Stop taking it so seriously. None of us will be hired as anything but paying customers. Get over the self-righteousness that accompanies many of the posts.

Speaking of Arenas, so he wants max money--help me to understand what makes him different or dumb for that desire, regardless of what he might have said in the past. And, how does giving him max money hamstring the organization?

Go Pesh!

Posted by: Skeef | January 23, 2008 1:17 PM

dada-ism lives!

To debate the debated or the debater.

Posted by: i smoke | January 23, 2008 1:17 PM

Gilby should be coming off the bench. Make him the 2008 version of vinnie the microwave. we all know he's not afraid to shoot, especially when he's 0-39 during a game. After his first 38 misses you would think he would pass the ball to the hot hand. Not Gilby, he will force the issue, clank a long 3 that the opponent will rebound and turn into an easy transition bucket.

He's a ball hogging defensive liability with bad knees.

AD runs the show better at point.

Posted by: justin | January 23, 2008 1:28 PM

If Gilbert is anywhere close to 100%, I think you have to start him in the playoffs. The rest of the starters are all vets, who know how Gilbert plays and they could use the extra scoring. Deshawn will probally end up getting more open looks. Also, Daniels will be invaluable coming off the bench with the talented, but young players. AD will do a much better job of getting the young guys where they need to be, and also to keep them from being nervous about being unexperienced in playoff situations.

Posted by: The Yawn Dude | January 23, 2008 1:43 PM

Skeef, the man would be a flat out fool not to ask for Max money. Grunfeld has also acknowledged that the Wiz are aware and prepared for Arenas opting out and seeking a contract a long the lines of a max deal.

Since the Wiz are paying Jamison over 16m this year on the last year of his deal. And Arenas now makes about 11m, it is reasonable to expect the Wizards could resign both and still sqeeze them under the Luxury Tax level.

So where Maxing Gil would hurt the Wizards short term is a real question mark. Most all of the team's other players are under contract or are playing under rookie deals which have them tied up for three more years.

The exception is Roger Mason, he's playing under a min. deal, he has probably earned a longer term deal at a little more money. The Wizards will have the full MLE available next year to use, but until next year's Luxury Tax Level is determined Grunfeld won't know how much money he'll have available to use before he gets up against that.

In future years as these rookies are due to come off of their rookie contracts, which keeps them cheap to have around for the first 4 years, Etan's and Daniels' deals will come off the books which are fairly expensive. So there will be funds available to resign Young, Pecherov, etc.

The Wiz will also have a MLE to use each year and the Luxury Tax Threshold is changed each year to reflect a percentage of league income. So even if Abe Pollin would like to stay below that level there is future wiggle room as far as contracts go.

Arenas is 26, a 6 year deal at this point would keep him under control through most of what are normally considered his prime years and the Wizards would know what the cost would be.

The downside would be the chance of a future injury, in this league when a max player gets hurt it can ruin a team. Other then that there's not many downsides.

Posted by: GM | January 23, 2008 1:43 PM

Justin is right.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 2:08 PM

Gilby would be a fool for not asking for max money. That's not the issue.

The issue is that Gilby initially said he won't be asking for max money and holding the franchise hostage like KG or AI, but then he changed his mind due to an awakening. He essentially badmouthed his peers, but is now doing the same thing. Also, he badmouthed Air Gordon and Deng, and isn't following his own advice about taking whatever is there.

Then, to show his dedication to DC, Gilby says if Les BouleS don't offer him the max, that he will leave and take less money elsewhere.

Yeah Gilby, real dedication to DC.

The bottom line is whether Gilby asks for max money or not, he doesn't deserve it. If EG wants to keep him, EG doesn't have to give him a penny more than what other teams will give him over 5 years.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 2:12 PM

A most disturbing quote from AJ

"When Gil went out, we knew we couldn't be the same kind of team."

What kind of team does he expect they'll be when GA returns?

Posted by: Thickman | January 23, 2008 2:26 PM

But the question was what effect does a max deal for Gil have on the Wizards. You can debate all day and all night if you think Gil is a max player or not. But the question was, what effect would Gil's signing a Max deal have on the team?

Saying what you would offer Gil doesn't address the question Skeef asked at all, it's just more personal commentary.

Posted by: GM | January 23, 2008 3:22 PM

"Here's a question for you, 88'er how many posts have you made out of the 160 or so on this blog?

Posted by: GM | January 23, 2008 03:22 PM "

If you're so interested in knowing, go find out for yourself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | January 23, 2008 3:53 PM

"Of course the Wizards still have both draft picks so they could go the route of replacing Roger with a younger, cheaper player."

That's one possibility, GM. Personally I think they'll likely go in the other direction and follow the Suns' lead, trading away the picks and avoiding any more guaranteed deals in favor for some kind of deferred/future consideration. They've already got a lot of young guys who need PT to develop and I doubt they feel like adding more rookies is th missing piece in their title chase.

Posted by: kalorma | January 23, 2008 11:39 PM

A lot of pricey decisions will need to be made in the coming years with CBut, BTH, NY, DMac, etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 26, 2008 10:03 PM