Friday update

Caron Butler did not particpate in shootaround this morning but did do a lot of stretching and has not ruled himself out for tonight's game against the Nuggets. The team did not practice yesterday following the back-to-back against Philly and San Antonio so Caron has had three days to rest that left hip. I'll post an update on his status before tonight's game as soon as I know something concrete.

By Ivan Carter |  February 8, 2008; 4:59 PM ET
Previous: Trumpin' Duncan | Next: Butler out, Wiz at Nuggets

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I wonder if the thin air in Denver will affect his playing status.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | February 8, 2008 5:27 PM

So my question to you Rook (and whoever wants to share their input) is, how much is AJ worth to re-sign? Remember he's having an all-star year. Do you think he'll accept an offer which is a half of what he's making, around 8-9 mil?
Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 8, 2008 11:36 AM
-----------------------------------

I agree with a previous poster. I think that AJ and Arenas will just swap salary slots. AJ to get $11-12 Mil per year, and Arenas to get the $16 Mil. AND Yes, I think that Jamison will re-sign with the Wizards for $11-$12 Mil, even if someone else offers more (which I doubt).

The real question is: How do the Wizards get someone to replace Mason when he leaves (and he WILL leave) - AND, how do they sign Veremeenko (the Wizards 2006 2nd round pick) and their 2008 draft picks unless they go over the Luxury Tax.
They could leave Veremeenko in Europe, but the reports I'm seeing about him say that he is NBA ready now.

With the Wizards situation at Forward (with Blatche, Jamison, Butler, McGuire, Pecherov, Songaila), and the fact that the Wizards have with several other assets (the Memphis 1st round pick, Veremeenko, etc...), I wouldn't be surprised to see Ernie Grunfeld package some picks, Etan Thomas and one of our young Forwards to someone for an established point guard, or a veteran scorer for the bench and free up some salary space.

Posted by: Rook | February 8, 2008 7:57 PM

For those of you who don't know a lot about the Wizard's 2006 2nd Round pick, Vladimir Veremeenko.

Sometimes listed as 6'10, sometimes 6'11, 235 pounds. Age 23 (??). Currently plays for BC Khimky Moscow, in the Russian Basketball League.

Official Khimki site: http://eng.bckhimki.ru/team/fiba.php

Currently averaging 15 minutes per game, 7.1 ppg (61% shooting, 55% 3pt shooting), 3.8 rpg, 1.8 apg.

5 times selected best Belorussian basketball player. 2005 Euroleague FIBA Champion. 2006 EuroCup All-Star.

Versatile and Athletic. Can score both from outside and around the basket; with a very quick release. Fundamentally sound. Shoots a high percentage, but needs work on his outside shot as it tends to flatten out. Defensively, may get pushed around by bigger, stronger players.

Projected as a 3/4. Best position may be SF.

Posted by: Rook | February 8, 2008 8:59 PM

-Ivan
-------------------------------------------
You see, now that makes a lot of sense to me because I don't think that Caron is nearly injured enough yet. I bet that long plane ride really loosened up his hip too. He is ready to go. Most NBA teams would have the "team trainers" make the call if a guy is healthy enough to play. I mean how freakin silly is that? If anybody knows when it is best to sit for a couple games, it is super-competitive atheletes.

Posted by: Dude | February 8, 2008 9:00 PM