Post All-Star Update

The Wizards normally practice at 11 a.m. but given the fact that all-star game now starts at the ridiculously late hour of 8:30 on a Sunday night, the team will gather at six tonight after the arrival of all-stars Caron Butler Antawn Jamison. I'll find out then what Butler's status is for tomorrow's game against the Knicks and also know whether Gilbert Arenas is participating in any manner - he said he planned on returning to practice after the break.

One thing is clear: this team needs to get things started with win over the dreadful Knicks. The schedule ahead is brutal. At Cleveland Friday night, at New Orleans next Monday night, at Houston next Tuesday night and at Chicago next Friday night. It won't get any easier in March either and, the Hawks just beefed themselves up with the trade that finally brought a real live point guard to Atlanta (Mike Bibby).

I'm not so sure that the Nets are dead either. Once the Kidd deal goes through, they can move on with a pretty good player in Devin Harris and make a run. Harris, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson is still a pretty good threesome in the this Eastern Conference.

By Ivan Carter  |  February 18, 2008; 10:44 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Butler out for tonight and all-star game.
Next: Monday update

Comments

ivan can we see anything on the wizards by the trade deadline

Posted by: brandon | February 18, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Gil shouldn't rush it and blow the knee out again...I say if he blows it out again, we gotta let him walk and sign a big free agent this summer.

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | February 18, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, you are grossly underestimating how good Kidd is.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

1.BOS 66 - 16
2.DET 62 - 20
3.ORL 50 - 32
4.CLE 50 - 32
5.TOR 46 - 36
6.WAS 40 - 42
7.ATL 38 - 44
8.CHI 36 - 46
9.NJ 35 - 47

IMHO... I can provide statistical evidence on my opinions if needed

Posted by: JSchon | February 18, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

sam smith has lost his mind and any credibility if he thinks the wizards would re-trade caron to the lakers. why exactly? so that they can win a championship? he doesn't mention any players the wizards would be interested in because, um, there aren't any.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It's best to take a Sam Smith rumor with a grain of salt. He floats weird trade ideas all the time. It is, in fact, how I know who he is. Clever, huh.

Posted by: Pauly B. | February 18, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Doubt seriously that Arenas is rushing back. The team has been "hush" about his status and he's obviously been cleared for contact or we wouldn't hear about him working out and doing drills with the team. I'm sure he knows the importance that his play in the 2nd half of the season will have on his team and for him personally as far as his desire to get a max contract this offseason. Given all that, it wouldn't be in his best interest to rush anything.

Posted by: G$ | February 18, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I know this has been covered before, but can someone pls recap the lux tax implications for this postseason? That is, assume the Wizards do give Gil the max. Besides Jamison, is there anyone else that needs to be negotiated for the upcoming year? And how much will there to be play with for AJ?

If (and it may be a big if), Jamison does agree to take a less-than-market salary to stay with a contender-on-the-cusp, will there be sufficient flex to make a real play for a solid free agent? It seems to me that Jamison will only agree to take a hit if the Wizards demonstrate a real commitment to obtain any missing pieces. I really liked the soundbites coming from Jamison this past weekend as he discussed his comfort level in DC.

I also recall Arenas making some noises about sacrificing potential salary for the team in the interests of winning a championship.

Assume absolute best-case scenario and both Gil and Antawn allow management to get creative. What are some dream situations?

Thanks.

Posted by: duk | February 18, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Kidd is the most overrated pg in the league. His turnovers and shooting are absolutely horrible. I think this trade will actually help the Nets this year, and not just down the road. The poor Mavs will find this out the hard way. I'm glad we got rid of JKidd though.

Posted by: NJ | February 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

disagree with you on the Kidd deal and his value. He makes players around him better, in spite of his sometimes spotty shooting. Just look back at how he performs in Int'l competition when surrounded by other all-star talent. Even at 35 yrs old, the guy is a walking triple double. He will make things easier for Dirk, Josh Howard and Jason Terry and the revamped deal will keep Devean George & Stackhouse in the fold as well. I personally would have liked to have seen Orlando make this deal. Kidd, Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Turkgolo would have been very formidable in the East. With Dallas, they still may not have enough to get past San Antonio, Utah or even Golden State. There is youth and scoring at PG on most of the teams in the West that the Mavs will face.

Posted by: G$ | February 18, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Gilby tradeable?

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Stupid mf.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

With Gilbert and Caron healthy, the Wizards can play competitively with anyone in the East. Say the Wizards get the 6 seed - would Orlando even be favored in that series if the Wizards have 3 healthy bigs (Haywood, Blatche, Thomas) to throw at Howard? How would the Magic slow down Gilbert?

The problem would be if Atlanta passes the Wizards. Detroit is a much tougher matchup.

Either way, the East has a lot of excellent teams. The Raptors boast 3 legitimate All Stars, the Celtics 3, the Pistons 3, and the Cavs have the best player in the League.

I also can't figure out why the Wiz haven't been more aggressive at peddling Jamison's massive expiring contract. A straightup trade for Gasol would give the Wiz 3 All Star caliber players 27 or younger. We'd be contenders for the next half decade. I know he's the lockerroom leader, but he's on decline and can't jump anymore.

Posted by: Dellis | February 18, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Jamison on the decline? You must be kidding. He is the glue that has held this team together at the end of last season and for the last few months.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm a stupid mf and my mom's a ho.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I forgot about your mom.

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 18, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

BWHAHA!

Posted by: ismoke | February 18, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I tried to post but I dropped a curse word. woopsie dazie. Jamison won the game for us with his ups on that tip in. Averages a double double, willing to sacrifice money for a team he believes can win that ring he's always wanted, and in turn, shows his classy and humble personality. I love him and caron for being amazing people and hopefully gil will become sacrificial as well. LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | February 18, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Gilby sacrificial? Don't you watch the damn games?

Posted by: DC Man88 | February 18, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

BWHAHA! BWHAHA! Tell'im DC!!!

Posted by: ismoke | February 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

iSlurp continues to slurp Slurp. What a world.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz don't "need" to do anything against NY or anyone else for the next month -- except get healthy. After that, the focus should be on team chemistry and building mo.

This team has the talent to win any playoff series against any team.

And that aren't going to miss the playoffs if the stars are pampered during the regular season.

The GA and CB injuries this year were avoidable. (CB showed signs of wear on TV before the actual injury). Despite this history, AD played 45 minutes against LA after returning from an injury. With the "need to do this and that" attitude over meaningless games, there are bound to be more injuries.

Injuries in the playoffs are a prescription to 1 and out. Additionally, EJ seems to have lost any confidence in NY. Therefore, he won't be ready for a bigger role next year.

Can we just relax for 30 more days?

Posted by: Izman | February 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Jamison is going to have to take a pay cut based on his current salary -- If some team wants to pay him $14-17M then the Wiz will have to watch him walk away. He is the most replaceable of Butler, Arenas, or Jamison. Jamison and Arenas should swap salaries and that will ease any luxury tax concerns. I personally think Jamison should be offered a $30M/3 year deal at the end of this season -- maybe $11M per season.

Posted by: MD | February 18, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I am a big Jameson fan, always have been, and I would not want him traded for anything at this point. That being said...if we could have traded Jameson for Gasol, then I think it would have been a very good deal for us.

Of course, it seems like most GMs around the league didn't know Gasol was going for so little until he was actually dealt to the Lakers, so you can't really fault EG here.

Posted by: andy | February 18, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Blatche is only a season or two away from being an elite power forward in this league? I love Jamison, but if we lose him, say to the Bobcats, (who he would both improve and sell many tickets for, as he is a beloved local product) can we live with that? That is the 12-14 million dollar question...

McGuire re-signed at 3-4, Songaila at 4, Etan available for minutes at C, a good draft pick (Hansbrough, please!)...we keep saying it comes down to Gil's contract, but I think it may be more of a case of Andray's development. If we don't do something in a round with the word "Finals" in it, I suspect AJ is a Bobcat and AB is your starter.

Posted by: Pauly B. | February 18, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Gasol is a nice player, but you wonder about his injuries. Two sub 60 game seasons in the last four and a firm commitment to International play. Plus, what would he say to JC Navarro? That would've been a fun conversation!

Posted by: Pauly B. | February 18, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

We need to also re-sign Mason.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Orlando's been tougher for us to beat than Detroit. We match up ok against Detroit.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

If we waste our 1st rounder on Tyler F'ing Hansbrough (projected late first/early second) I might stop following basketball forever. That guy has almost no chance of being a star in the league.

Posted by: JE | February 18, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The problem with the Gasol for Jamison trade is - If EG did that trade, he would not have enough to sign Arenas at the end of this year, and stay under the Luxury tax.

So, the trade would really be Gasol for Jamison & Arenas; since Arenas would walk after the season.

Jamison's expiring contract will be what gives the Wizards the opportunity to re-sign Arenas and stay under the luxury tax. Once Arenas is signed, they can make an offer to Jamison for $10-11 Million per year.

Their other free agent at the end of the year will be Roger Mason. I think he will walk - because I don't see the Wizards having enough to sign him and stay under the luxury tax.

Posted by: Rook | February 18, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizz#1fan | February 18, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizz#1fan | February 18, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizz#1fan | February 18, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizz#1fan | February 18, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is that Jamison will sign a lower-priced deal with the Wizards this summer, and that GA will accept a little less than the max to make Jamison's deal a little better. They like playing together, and they've both seen what happened to Larry Hughes when he made a decision based strictly on money.

Posted by: John Brisker | February 18, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I eat feces and my mom's p#ssy stinks.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 18, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh my gosh! That is so rockin' cool! I have the same thing going on!

Posted by: i smoke | February 18, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

JE -

Yes, T.F. Hansbrough at the 19th pick! Beasley and Love won't be there, so start getting used to the idea. In fairness to you, Hansbrough has only recently provided the evidence that he will be a good NBA player. The conditioning and work on the mid-range game are really paying dividends for him. The game looks easy to him now, which is to me the best indicator of NBA ability. There are a lot of other positives, but they can wait until June's draft debates...

Posted by: Pauly B. | February 18, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

"If some team wants to pay him $14-17M then the Wiz will have to watch him walk away. "

Gasol is a fine player, but he hasn't shown anything to suggest a franchise can build a championship team with him as their best player. At the time of the trade, he wasn't even the best player on the Grizzlies, a team that had only won nine games. That's why Chicago was (rightly) reluctant to trade a bunch of young talent and draft picks to get him and why going to a team like the Lakers, where he'll never be higher than #2 on the depth chart (and may even be as low as #4 in some instances), was a great move for him.

Jamison's positive impact on the Wizards is a picture perfect example of why a player's value cannot always be quantified simply by looking at his statlines or PER or +/- or any other set of numbers a computer program spits out. As important as Jamison's points and rebounds are, the things he brings to this team that don't show up in the box score are just as important (if not more so). And until they (A) can find or develop another player on the team who can replace those intangibles or (B) acquire a player whose statistical impact is so dominant as to make those intangibles irrelevant, the Wizards can't afford to lose Jamison without taking a huge step back.

Posted by: kalorama | February 18, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Issues of age aside, Kidd's strength as a playmaker is in the open court in a fast, uptempo game, the kind of game the Mavs largely did away with once Avery Johnson became coach and they moved to slower, a more deliberate style of offense with a greater emphasis on defense and controlling the tempo. Unless Johnson plans to go back to playing Nellie-ball like the Mavs did before he got there, putting Kidd in a half-court game really mutes his assets. And I really think giving up Diop is going to come back and bite them in the ass in the playoffs, where they're likely going to have to go through at least two of Utah, Houston, San Antonio, Los Angeles, or Phoenix, all of whom have at least one (and in a couple of cases, two) all-star caliber big men. Diop is their best, most mobile, most athletic interior defender, and often started for them in the playoffs. What happens when (not if, when) Dampier gets hurt or in foul trouble?

It has the hint of a desperation trade to me.

Posted by: kalorama | February 18, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

"But there's no team in the NBA that's going to pay that kind of money for a 32 year old, purely offensive player who's never gotten a team past the second round. That's assuming there's even a team that'll have that kind of money to spend without doing a S&T. (And how many teams is that?)"

I'm not an expert in cap but I think if their will be a G&M who will bite the bullet and take the rist. Heck, if they give so much $$$ to Larry Hughes, Darko and even J Crawford then why not an All-star caliber player. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"On the Kidd trade ... not moving Stackhouse makes it a little less lopsided, but I still think it's a bad move for Dallas."

Mark Cuban's action is a "win NOW" mentality. He's a competitor and he's frustrated that his team always do best in the regular season and falters in the playoffs. I think that is where JKidd comes in.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"Mark Cuban's action is a "win NOW" mentality."

I know. My point was that I don't think trading for Kidd is going to win them a title. So giving up so many assets to get him makes it, as far as I'm concerned, a bad deal.

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"Heck, if they give so much $$$ to Larry Hughes, Darko and even J Crawford then why not an All-star caliber player."

And besides, a 3-year deal at $7 mill/year (which is what Darko makes) isn't an outrageous amount for a very young big man with skill and potential.

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Kalorama I am in agreement with you on the Kidd deal. And just from New Jersey's standpoint, they shed Kidd's very bad contract and start to position themselves to get LeBron when he opts out and the Nets move to Brooklyn. I wonder if the Nets are going to be able to deal Carter before the trade deadline?

Posted by: George Templeton | February 19, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

George - I don't see NJ moving Carter. At least Kidd still has some value. Carter, at this point in his career (knees shot, with no motivation and a horrendous contract), is not a marketable asset.

I cannot think of one team that would need a shooting guard for $14 Million per year for the NEXT 5 YEARS! He'll be 36 when his contract runs out...

Just my humble opinion.

Posted by: Rook | February 19, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"I know. My point was that I don't think trading for Kidd is going to win them a title."

I sure wish I can I predict the future as you do. I just rely on my crystal ball :-)

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"All of those players were several years younger than Jamison. They were being paid, in large part, for the potential of what they might become. Jamison is never going to be a better player than he is right now. The only way a team would pony up $14-17 mill (the specific amount that was mentioned) for him was if they thought he was the missing piece to a title. I don't see any contenders out there that would (A) have that kind of money to spend or (B) have a specific need for Jamison. (It's also worth pointing out that giving all that money to Hughes and Crawford backfired, didn't it?)

And besides, a 3-year deal at $7 mill/year (which is what Darko makes) isn't an outrageous amount for a very young big man with skill and potential"

Again you are missing the point. What I am saying is that if there is a stupid GM who signed players that have potential (and some don't!) then there SURE be a GM who will be thinking about signing an AGING All-star caliber player who will surely hlep their team. Again, I don't know anything about CAP but if there is a team that has $$$ then they will have AJ on their list. Just my humble (and not an expert) opinion.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"then there SURE be a GM who will be thinking about signing an AGING All-star caliber player who will surely hlep their team."

So you can predict the future, huh?

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"I still think that JKidd will help the Mavs more THIS YEAR than Devin Harris. He's more experience and will surely help Dirk and the rest of the team. Again, I said this playoff and not in 3-5 years, okay?"

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

And, just to be clear, I never said there wouldn't be teams interested in signing Jamison. Of course there will be. I said that no team would even consider signing him forr $14-17 mill/year. That's not going to happen (if only because no team is going to have that kind of money to spend).

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"So you can predict the future, huh?"

Did you care to look at my name? LOL

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

George, I imagine the Nets are thinking about moving Carter, but I doubt he goes anywhere before the deadline. I don't see any potential contenders in a position where they might think Carter is the missing piece. However, the landscape can change quite a bit after the playoffs, draft, and free agency, so an offseason move might not be out of the question.

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"And, again, I still think trading for Kidd doesn't put them in a position to win a title this season, which is the whole point of the trade. They're still not demonstrably better than the Suns, Lakers, or Spurs. And if they don't win a title with Kidd, then it's a bad deal, okay?"

Well in my humble (and not expert) opinion they are closer if not matched the firepower of those teams you mentioned now that they have Kidd RATHER than have Harris, okay? Do you agree on that or not? If not then something is wrong with you.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"That's not going to happen (if only because no team is going to have that kind of money to spend)"

That is why I mentioned that I don't know nothing on CAP. I just said that "IF...............".

Again I readily admit that I don't know anything on the CAP rule unlike someone who sure know everything about anything.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Do you agree on that or not?"

"If not then something is wrong with you."

Well, that's certainly a persuasive and thoughtful argument. Guess you showed me, huh?

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"They're still not demonstrably better than the Suns, Lakers, or Spurs"

Are you totally sure on that. From the last time I heard they are one of the favorites to win the West with Harris. So are you saying that Harris is better than JKidd. Oh no!

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"That is why I mentioned that I don't know nothing on CAP. "

Yet that doesn't seem in any way to impede you from making predictions about how it will be used.

Interesting.

Posted by: kalorama | February 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Well, if you actually bothered to read any of my posts on the matter before responding to them, you'd already know the answer to that question."

Well, if you bother to read my post first before you type your knowledgeable comments then you should have known that I was right.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"Guess you showed me, huh?"

LOL. Yes I did.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | February 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88,

I said "I HOPE gil becomes sacrificial", I know he's a ball hog, hence the word HOPE!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | February 19, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, gloom and doom. With ad and cb healthy the zards can win every single one of those games.

Posted by: Zonker | February 19, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

cjthsnyvf regdx iftzwke yadir radgltf chrazxgtd iuwzajq

Posted by: eqakl zoskpc | March 22, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

umjasg ohbnikq emazkpl uxty qihm ycbtgvd lwsa http://www.zqbhsixe.hdjigw.com

Posted by: sqcyb igwub | March 22, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse