Butler feels and looks good in return to practice

Caron Butler practiced for the first time since Feb. 18 and felt fine afterward. The next test, according to the all-star forward who has missed 19 games with a left hip injury, will be how he feels tonight and tomorrow. As Butler said a few minutes ago, he also felt good while practicing back on the 18th but woke up the next morning feeling "terrible."

A firm timetbale for Butler's possible return has not been set but what happened today was clearly a positive sign. Butler said he is meeting with a person who specializes in hip issues tonight.

"I felt good, real good," Butler said. "We'll see how the body responds tomorrow but, I was able to move around with no pain. At the end, we just decided to pull me out just because I was feeling a little soreness in the groin."

More Caron: "I just went out there and they threw me into the fire. Coach just said: "go and be you out there.' And I felt good. I had a nice rhythm and my teammates were looking for me. I just felt good."

Coach Eddie Jordan was very encouraged by what he saw: "He looked great today. A lot of burst, speed and explosion...great passing and just running up and down the floor. He just looked good today, a lot better than I thought. He went through 95 percent of practice and we just cooled him down at the end."

Gilbert Arenas did not practice and instead did rehab work in the training room. No fresh word on his possible return. Etan Thomas did practice and was in some five-on-five scrimmaging that I saw so that could be a sign that he's moving closer to a possible return to game action. It all depends on how he feels.

By Ivan Carter |  March 10, 2008; 1:31 PM ET
Previous: Solid win | Next: Wade's Early End Year Too Late

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

beautiful. lets hope we can all be healthy to make a playoff run. AND STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: i | March 10, 2008 1:58 PM

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling Gil won't be coming back this season.

Posted by: MDBaller1 | March 10, 2008 1:58 PM

He had better. He just said on his blog that he was not scared he just wanted to create drama. Read his blog and give your thoughts. It is about his contract and being sure that he is health and thus will be signed. I think he is better than is being let on. Just my thoughts after reading his blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 2:06 PM

Obviously some players care...others don't!! Just my thoughts...

Posted by: Fenty | March 10, 2008 2:07 PM

Ouch.

EJ throwing "players in the fire" is not a good thing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 2:15 PM

"I hate to say it, but I get the feeling Gil won't be coming back this season.

Posted by: MDBaller1 | March 10, 2008 01:58 PM "

Gilby has more to lose than to gain, especially if he's not 100%.

Get ready for the fire sale on Gilby jersies.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 2:16 PM

"A little soreness in the groin"?

And the next injury has begun....

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 2:31 PM

"A little soreness in the groin"?

And the next injury has begun....

Posted by: | March 10, 2008 02:31 PM

I said the same thing to myself when I read that. I kinda winced at the thought of it. Sounds kinda like a "compensation" type soreness. It's never a good sign to be pulled for that type of thing, especially in the groin.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2008 2:48 PM

Who am I? Why don't people just ignore me? Idiots!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 2:48 PM

Great news!!! I am so happy to hear this!!

I am a little concerned that Eddie "threw him into the fire"

Posted by: Darnell | March 10, 2008 2:50 PM

Has Eddie ever heard of working back to game speed??

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 2:53 PM

Gilbert owes it to the team to come back and try and play for the playoffs. You can't in good faith just collect $10 million for 5 games, and then call it a season. A team starting Arenas, Stevenson, Butler, Jamison, and Haywood, with Blatche, Songalia, Daniels, Thomas, and Mason off the bench can run with anyone in the East. The key question is: does Gilbert want to win, or does he want to get paid? We'll find out this month.

Posted by: Dellis | March 10, 2008 3:02 PM

As for Arenas doing rehab work instead of practicing this morning...jeez, all this intense deconstruction of everything he does by his critic(s) is getting ridiculous. When you're coming back from a knee injury, you have to balance the rehab regimen (stretching, strength/stablization, balance, and anti-inflammatory therapy) carefully with gradual reintroduction of the sports activity. That means that you might practice at 60 percent intensity one day, do rehab exercises and rest the next, then practice at 80 percent intensity, then rehab and rest again, etc. That way, you avoid inflammation and stiffness. The first time he hurt his knee, GA didn't want to do this sort of routine and piled on too much sports activity too quickly, which quite possibly set him up for the second injury. I think he's wised up and the team also is exercising more oversight this time, which is good. He's already said that his revised timeline is to be ready for the west coast trip.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 10, 2008 3:10 PM

Remember what happened to Grant Hill? In the playoffs one year with Detroit he was limping around really badly on a bad ankle. He then signed with Orlando, had surgery on that ankle, and never did anything for Orlando.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 3:11 PM

Has Eddie ever heard of working back to game speed??

Posted by: | March 10, 2008 02:53 PM

According to Kalorama, Eddie Jordan shouldn't have to worry about easing players back from injuries. You're either ready to be thrown into the fire, or you're injured.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 3:13 PM

Gilby is planning his return the same game as CB...listen to his comments and read his blog.....If CB is available to play against Atlanta next Monday or when they go West, Gilby will be in the lineup also. He doesn't want to be worrying about carrying the team when he first gets back. Can you blame him coming off of 2 knee surgeries and EJ's need for the team to win games right now?

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 10, 2008 3:19 PM

At this point I would rather just keep losing and get a lottery pick. No matter what healthy or not were not going to beat by any of the top 3 teams without home court advantage. Even with home court advantage the only team we have a shot at is the magic and its a very small shot.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 3:23 PM

"Gilbert owes it to the team to come back and try and play for the playoffs. You can't in good faith just collect $10 million for 5 games, and then call it a season."

He also owes it to himself not to ruin his future by pushing himself when he's not physically able to go. He also owes it to whatever team he's with next year (whether it's the Wizards or someone else) to be able go go for the long haul.

If he's cleared by the doctors and feels physically ready to go, then he should. But if he doesn't feel that his body is ready, he should wait until it is.

Now if he does feel like his body is ready and he's just sitting out for the sole purpose of not hurting his market value, that's a different story. but, as is always the case, we have no real idea what's going on with his body or in his head.

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 3:52 PM

"Gilbert owes it to the team to make sure he is healthy before he comes back. It's likely that he is going to sign a long term with the Wizards this summer, so it's in the Wizards' best interest that he be healthy.

Posted by: | March 10, 2008 03:11 PM "

In theory, Yes, Gilby owes, but in reality, everyone knows that Gilby is a self centered, selfish, and greedy b@stard, so no one should be surprised if he calls it a season, shuts down, and starts making plans for Bora Bora.

This time, he won't be taking Laura and the kids though.

Posted by: Lisa | March 10, 2008 4:02 PM

One door opens, another one closes. Dwayne Wade is shutting it down.

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 4:18 PM

is anyone else worried that Etan's return will hurt us rather than help us?

Posted by: Peter | March 10, 2008 4:25 PM

John Brisker's post makes good sound sense but that's not what seems to rule the day when it comes to a post where Gil's name is brought up.
Wouldn't be surprised if Caron has a little stiffness in the groin just from shutting it down for a couple of weeks. Same as Gil, he might need to get some extra stretching and rehab in before he practices again.

Looks like same ole, same ole at 4:02 using Lisa's name. Gil's name came up and the native is ready to get restless. They'll be no talking basketball tonight, just all things Gil.

Posted by: GM | March 10, 2008 4:33 PM

"Caron hasn't been down in a defensive crouch or moved laterally for several weeks, so it's no surprise that he would get some groin soreness from his first practice back. That's what heat, ice and electrical stimulation treatments are for. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back by the end of the week."

I hope I'm dearly, dearly wrong, but general soreness normally occurs AFTER the body has cooled-down. To be pulled out of practice because of soreness DURING the practice session is not a good sign. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but that's doesn't sound too positive to me. Hopefully it doesn't compound into something that hampers him for the rest of the season.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2008 4:48 PM

Get a freakin' life!

Posted by: Lisa | March 10, 2008 5:04 PM

Kalo-rambo thinks EJ, and presumably all managers, have no obligation to manage injuries and get teams strong for the playoffs.

If one does a Google search, you will find that several managers, including those in Detroit and San Antonio (finalists?) are not taking rambo's advice.

The talent on this team is incredible. It seems that EJ might burn them all out, make .500 again, and be declared a great coach.

Posted by: Izman | March 10, 2008 5:09 PM

"This is the REAL Lisa....and DCIdiot you need to stop posting things under my name that I would never say.

Get a freakin' life!

Posted by: Lisa | March 10, 2008 05:04 PM "

I knew that cow Lisa was lurking in the background. Posting using her name is like sticking a twinkie in her face. She just can't resist.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 5:22 PM

we need to get a room

Posted by: Lisa or DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 5:37 PM

Hey Izman, if you're going to presume to speak for what other people think, at least make a workmanlike effort to get it right. Otherwise stick to stating your own opinions not someone else's. Because if you'd actually bothered to read what I'd written on the subject, you'd know that your interpetation of it is a pile of horse crap (not that that's anything knew for you).

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 5:38 PM

EDIT/MISTYPE: Should read:

(not that that's anything new for you)

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 5:39 PM

Wow, what a tough situation for Caron and the staff. Impossible to know if waiting any longer would make an appreciable difference. Guess they'll find out tomorrow morning. I just wonder how many more games before it's re-aggravated.

Also, EJ doesn't burn out players. 82, 48 minute games, (plus pre-season, post-season and International competitions) does that. At some point, everyone plays hurt and there is no where to hide. 82+ games is huge grind and tests everyone on the team at some point.

Posted by: Pauly B. | March 10, 2008 6:21 PM

Exactly, Pauly.

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 6:25 PM

agent 0 did not practice today. Does this mean his rehab is not going well? Will he be back soon?

Posted by: escalade | March 10, 2008 7:09 PM

"Someone mentioned packing it in and going lotto. It's not the worst idea ever, it's just there aren't any difference makers in the late lottery. Odds are not with us getting Beasley or Rose. We've got plenty of solid players, just need healthy ones.

Posted by: Pauly B. | March 10, 2008 06:21 PM "

I suggested packing it in early last year, and nobody agreed with me. What was the end result? Four games and done, with no lottery pick.

This year, EG has every incentive to tell EJ to "shut it down - Jerry Stackhouse." For the future of Les BouleS, there's absolutely no reason to jeopardize the health of Caron by having him come back just in time to lose in the playoffs. Les BouleS are not championship contenders nor have they been since Unseld ruled the paint.

Also, if Les BouleS make the lottery, that means EG would have more options over Gilby. IF EG gets a top pick, he can get a great PG/player, trade the pick, or do whatever that improves the team all the while saving money by not spending it on Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 7:46 PM

I think it's pretty certain that both Caron and Gilby are done for the year. What's up with the hype behind the doctors clearing Gilby to practice? It's because fan attendance will drop to about 4K if both Caron and Gilby are certainly done for the season.

Not only does Abe need to collect the lux tax welfare check, he also needs to keep making money off $6 hot dogs and $8 beers. Are the hot dogs even kosher dogs?

EG, do your fans and your MVP a favor, and shut Caron down just like the Heat shut DWade down.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 10, 2008 7:56 PM

"...there's absolutely no reason to jeopardize the health of Caron by having him come back just in time to lose in the playoffs."

If I'm understanding his injury, there is no additional amount of time that could further improve his situation. Either it can be played on ("managed") or he needs to have surgery. If he goes for a week and it locks up, its time to revisit the surgical repair option. It's also plausible that he'll be able to finish the season with just a little discomfort- its a tough call.

As for Arenas, the Wizards are not going to let him walk. They either re-sign him for the max, or deal him in a sign and trade. Time for gilby haters to face facts: one way or the other, because he opted out, he's getting the max.

The sad thing is I don't think we could drop out of the playoffs even if we tried. We'd be stuck on 8th, because everyone else is so bad!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 10, 2008 8:12 PM

One door opens, another one closes. Dwayne Wade is shutting it down.

Posted by: kalorama | March 10, 2008 04:18 PM

How could he be so selfish?

Posted by: Rook | March 11, 2008 12:13 AM

(tongue in cheek)

Posted by: Rook | March 11, 2008 12:18 AM

It is amazing to see you so called Wizard fans talk about trading Gilbert, or trading Jamison, or Caron shutting it down, the same fans that bashed Haywood last year, and questioned Eddie's coaching ability, well guys I hate to tell you this team and its coaches have grown, and continue to grow every year, we should be praising OUR team for what it has accomplished thus far, we should be behind our best player at all times not just when he is hitting game winning shots or droppin 60 on the lakers. Hey I got an idea why don't you all start to grow up. Lets start by working on our understanding of what a truefan is. How about this why not let the opposing team know your really there at a game you guys are some of the lamest fans I have ever seen. You should be all every one of you excited to have a team in the playoff hunt again after all those years of losing. Yet you sit at your computer as you do when you go to games with nothing POSITIVE. Stop being ungrateful be thankful for what you have go to the games and support your team make some freakin noise please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: truewizfan | March 11, 2008 2:25 AM

Amen TrueWizfan! Amen to that! I sometimes think he majority of these posters aren't even Wiz fans the way they want to trade all our our good players and the constant bashing and "constructtive" criticisms of the Wiz. I say despite all of the injuries, the Wizards have not given up, they still try to compete no matter what is said about them and I commend them for that. Don't think they don't read theses posts because they do. That I know.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 11, 2008 7:43 AM

Truewizfan is right on target, If Butler and Gil get back this team could be a real sleeper in the playoffs.

All the talk about trying to lose to get into the lottery is pretty lame. Grunfeld has found Blatche, Pecherov, Young and McGuire all without having a lottery pick. He's starting to put together a group of Young Guns to go with the Big Three and build some depth for this team.

But most of us that watch basketball understand all that, for over a year 80% of all negitive posts have been coming from one computor under a variety of different names. It's a regular one man Gilbert Arenas/Wizards Hating Nation out there. As he's said before, it's his mission!

Posted by: GM | March 11, 2008 8:38 AM

Last night on Washington Post Live both Ivan and Buckhantz both praised our coaching staff for the phenominal job they've done this season given the situation. Now I'm not an expert but I'd say Ivan and Buck are two knowleagable guys that understand the game, the team, and the players. These guys aren't just "homers" they are professionals with credibility. So all you EJ bashers, and so called armchair GM's, take note.

I know many of us Wiz fans are frustrated especially after a few good seasons. We had high expectations of this team this year, heck Eastern Conference Finals were in our vocabulary before the season started. Unfortunately, injuries just killed us so we have to deal and move on.

Some of the posters on here have said we should "shut down" the season and go lottery. EG and EJ will never do this and I feel like the team has more class and pride then some of those other teams that have given up. Yeah, we may not be ready for the second round of the playoffs with our current roster, but it says a lot if we can at least make it to the playoffs this season. You take two all-stars off any team for significant time and you're talking a .500 record or below.

On another note, there has been much talk about the Wiz fans not making enough noise at games. I truly believe the fan hype will return once the team gets back to winning. This team is just average right now, but a return by GA and Caron (hopefully soon) will move us to the next level.

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | March 11, 2008 10:01 AM

I agree, stay positive and enjoy what we have right now: An all-star, a defensive minded 2, a new BTH, Roger Lodge Mason, ADizzle, Bullet Proof, Dom, Pech, and a guy who can create his own shot in NYoung. GO WIZ, get well and healthy

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 11, 2008 10:39 AM

AntiDCMan, not only has Ivan and Buck praised EJ but also the analysts on NBA TV - who know a heck of a whole lot more about basketball than some bad mouthing fans.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 11, 2008 11:36 AM

Ditto, Wiz Fan. We've been assembling teams and drafting for the future long enough. We have the talent on this team to win a championship. How many teams have three current all star caliber players on their roster, a veteran bench as well as a few talented rookies? Not many. Scrap the lottery talk and let's talk about how deep we're going if our players get back and we start paying attention to D again. Our offense will work itself out with the guys back. The issue will be defensive intensity again. This starts with keeping BTH on the floor for at least 35 minutes a game and allowing him to control the paint defensively. That way, the wing defenders can actually go out and harass jump shooters.

Posted by: mark | March 11, 2008 12:32 PM

So I guess those who are pro EJ are the intellectual ones. Ayayay!

You really think Ivan and Steve will bad mouth EJ on paper do you?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 11, 2008 1:03 PM

"I agree with the last few posts. This team is unstoppable with everyone healthy. Just imagine where we'd be with Gilbert, Caron, an improved BTH, DS, and our young bench?

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | March 11, 2008 10:01 AM "

When you read a post that has words in it such as "hope and imagine," you know it's going to be a BS post.

Hoping and imagining won't get you an NBA championship. It's a pipe dream.

BTW, "it says a lot if we get into the playoffs" is BS. If a team is below .500, they shouldn't qualify for the playoffs. The east sucks and only about 3 teams would even make the cut in the West.

Therefore, keep banging your pro-Les BouleS drum, Lisa, but it's an empty and lifeless beat.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 11, 2008 1:17 PM

"Last night on Washington Post Live both Ivan and Buckhantz both praised our coaching staff for the phenominal job they've done this season given the situation."

Wow, Ivan and Steve Buckhantz praised the coaches?? That's a stunner!

The coaches and players have weathered injuries, improved the defense, improved the players' shooting, and managed to hang around .500 with 2 Allstars on the roster for most of the season, and 1 Allstar all season. That's a good job, but no need for EJ to clear space on his mantle for a Coach of the Year trophy just yet. There definitely have been shortcomings this year, but I'm encouraged that EJ has improved this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 11, 2008 1:23 PM

"Ah, your nothing, trying isn't good enough, what have you done for me lately!?!?!?!"

Good luck with that horrible way of thinking.

Stay positive, things will change

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 11, 2008 1:42 PM

"LEAVE DCMANN88!!! you're a cancer on this site. You are to negative for words. You're like some disenchanted parent thats sick of their kids, but still loves his scotch.

Good luck with that horrible way of thinking.

Stay positive, things will change

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 11, 2008 01:42 PM "

You're an idiot.

Kids don't get paid mega millions to be kids. Poor analogy on your part.

With regard to scotch, this team, Les BouleS, would drive its owners and die hard fans to drink.

It's teams like these where you have to laugh because otherwise, you'd cry.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 11, 2008 3:54 PM