Butler, Jamison and Daniels good to go

Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison and Antonio Daniels participated in shootaround this morning and should be in the lineup against the Cavaliers tonight. The Wiz are catching the Cavs on the second night of a back-to-back (Cleveland lost at New Jersey last night) and they need this one to keep Philly off their backs. You've got to give it to Mo Cheeks and crew for that win over Detroit last night. Very impressive.

Like the Wizards, the Cavs are pretty beat up. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Sasha Pavlovic and Daniel Gibson have been out and the word is that Ben Wallace may not play tonight either (back spasms). One of the interesting developments since the big three-team, 11-player trade is that Wally Szczerbiak was supposed to spread the floor for LeBron and company with his ability to shoot the rock but so far Wally World has been off in the wine and gold.

He went 3 of 8 overall last night and missed both of his 3-point attempts and in nine games as a Cav, he's shooting 32.7 percent from the field and 36.1 percent from long range. That's not going to get it done.

The other player I'm going to watch closely tonight is Wiz rookie Nick Young. He's played very good ball of late and really broke out in the win over Milwaukee the other night. Now, can he come back with another strong effort in a big game on national television? To me, the ability to do that is the difference between rookies who show promise and rookies who have a chance to truly help a playoff team.

By Ivan Carter |  March 13, 2008; 2:59 PM ET
Previous: Wednesday update | Next: Cavs at Wiz

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

OMG, I'm first. A dream come true!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 3:14 PM

Here's to some steady play by the team and a healthy return & finish by CB3...

Posted by: CN | March 13, 2008 3:19 PM

With all of those players hurt they look like us

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 13, 2008 3:21 PM

I think NY will do well tonight also. Between Gil, AD and Caron being in his ear and giving him confidence and help, I look for a repeat performance from this guy. I hope McGuire gets to play more as well. I am so looking forward to this game tonight and I for one will be making my voice heard at the game tonight. Just call my friends and I the rowdy crew because we are going to be in the house and we are going to MAKE - SOME - NOISE! GO WIZARDS!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 3:22 PM

The Wiz should not look at the list of who are not playing. Just a reminder. They lose to the Cavs team the last time the teams played with only Lebron, Jones and group of NBDL players.

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 13, 2008 3:26 PM

Could we get some sort of filter that automatically converts "first" to "retarded"?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 3:26 PM

The best news out of this blog (Caron should stay out and get better) topic is that tonight's game won't just be on comcast, as it's a nationally televised game.

Somebody needs to put a dagger on that Bucky-Chenier duo for comcast.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 3:28 PM

Yeah, the last game against the Cavs, right after the trade deadline was rough. Despite Billy Thomas (of 'Cuse and Wizards fame) trying his best to prevent the CAVS from winning (by bricking all those 3's for them), we couldn't stop friggin Damon Jones. 'Bron-Bron got his, which we would expect, but Damon Jones? He's been invovled in a few daggers to our backs...

Posted by: CN | March 13, 2008 3:28 PM

I like the Buck-Chenier team, provides some local flavor. However, I gotta admit the whole production/camera work for CSN is awful. Too many times the camera is panned on the bench or the wrong player and we miss a few seconds of a crucial play...

Posted by: CN | March 13, 2008 3:30 PM

gotta think long-term...

Posted by: Sam | March 13, 2008 3:41 PM

I'd rather listen to Buck and Phil anyday, then listen to the national announcers try to tell stories about the Wizards that they incorrectly quote from the Sports Bog that they read 5 mins before air, and then move back to worshipping LeBron James for the other 98% of the game.

Posted by: DCWoman8888 | March 13, 2008 3:48 PM

"I just hope Eddie doesn't over-do it by playing Butler 42 minutes tonight. I'd like to see 30 minutes max for Butler. I don't care how good he says he feels.

gotta think long-term...

Posted by: Sam | March 13, 2008 03:41 PM "

If the game is close or on the line, you can bet on Caron being in the game, especially since he's playing against Lebron.

EJ is just going to let Caron be Caron, and we all know that he doesn't back down.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 3:48 PM

Damon Jones...god that guy is crucial. I forgot about him. Hopefully our defensive rotations will be fluent enough to get to open outside shooters

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 13, 2008 3:52 PM

For what it's worth, Steve and Phil are class acts. Saw them in Gallery Place after the Bucks game and they talked to me for a while. Even got Buck to give me the signature "Dagger!"

And of course I'll have my Tivo set for the game tonight. Gotta hear Charles give us some love.

Posted by: Chinatown | March 13, 2008 3:56 PM

Great... now what about Gil?

Posted by: Matt | March 13, 2008 3:57 PM

Ivan, your expectations for NY are well-intentioned, but not realistic. The guy is improving all-around, despite inconsistent playing time. Next year, he could be starting in the back-court with GA.

Does AB drop to the 4th forward and 3rd center with CB's return?

Posted by: Izman | March 13, 2008 3:58 PM

Izman,
I don't see how Songalia stays in front of Blatche in the rotation. I think the reason why Songalia was inserted as a starter was to provide more veteran presence. I think Songalia will fall behind Blatche in the new rotation... I hope.

Burgh w/ a U,
I don't think we need to worry about Damon Jones, he only plays as a necessity. they've got Delonte West (another Wizards killer w/ Boston) that will get heavy minutes. I'm afraid of Wally-world, he's hurt us in the past and we just got the kiss-of-death from Ivan...

Posted by: CN | March 13, 2008 4:05 PM

Take it easy on Phil and Buck. They are by far one of the better announcers in the nba.

As for Damon Jones (CBA talent), someone please guard him tonight.

Posted by: Wizzz | March 13, 2008 4:06 PM

LOVE Steve and Phil

NY is going to have 15 points, 4 assists, and a steal...big night

Caron, battles it out with Lebron

Wiz win, Phone Booth is as loud as its been all year

LETS GO WIZ

Posted by: Ben | March 13, 2008 4:08 PM

Will EJ "ease" Caron back into the lineup by having him guard LeBron, or will he have Stevenson guard him?

If Caron is guarding LeBron and reinjures his hip first game back, I'll be pinning that one on EJ, not on the Curse o' Les Boullez.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 4:22 PM

Maybe a few rude comments and 1 Gilby bash per day until the play-offs come. Then we can re-evaluate and up your comments.

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 4:39 PM

Buckhantz and Chenier are good, not great. But unless you've got a serious love Jones for all things Lebron, I'd stay away from the national broadcast, because unless one of the Wizards players spontaneously bursts into a ball of flame while executing a 360-degree dunk, the announcers aren't likely to say much about them. It'll be all Lebron, all the time.

Posted by: kalorama | March 13, 2008 4:57 PM

The amount of minutes Caron plays will not be a factor in whether or not he re-injures his hip. He has practiced twice and by all accounts looked as good as new -- the only reason to cut down his minutes is if he gets winded from being out for the last month or so. I expect Caron to go for 35-38 minutes tonight. This is a big game. You worry about the game in front of you, not the ones down the road.

Posted by: Chad | March 13, 2008 5:02 PM

add me to the list of those who want caron butler to wait another few games before coming back. and to the list that doesn't trust the wiz doctors. but also to the list that would love a wiz beat-down of the king and crew.

Posted by: manute bol | March 13, 2008 5:18 PM

JSchon.... that was poetry

Posted by: gidge | March 13, 2008 5:21 PM

Chad's mindset = EJ's mindset. Injured vs. not injured is an on-off switch, not a sliding scale.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 6:05 PM

GOTTA BE SMART TONIGHT EJ: Ease Caron back in tonite don't over do it let him find his groove, bring him off the bench with Andray and NICK give the Cavaliers coach(whats his face) something to think about.Need to keep the LEBRON'S on their heels all game long if possible, huge game tonight got to get over five hundred and then go from there Gilbert WHERE ARE YOU ?

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 13, 2008 6:08 PM

I love buck and phil, but for some reason the picture quality on comcast is terrible. The picture and sound on ESPN and TNT are worlds better, there's no comparison in sharpness and color.

I guarentee Caron plays at least 40 min tonight.

Man I would love to have been able to see practice... Caron, Gil, and Etan all on the court!!!

Posted by: Darnell | March 13, 2008 6:12 PM

Let's see 88 Idiot explain this one.....according to 88 Idiot (who NEVER shut up about Gil's party)Gil is EVIL for having a big smashing party so guess Caron is now in the dog house as well.

TOO FUNNY!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 13, 2008 7:34 PM

"Caron's party tonight is being hosted by Carmen Elektra AND Kim Kardasian. Caron also was willing to PAY Paris Hilton to attend but she could not make it.

TOO FUNNY!

Posted by: | March 13, 2008 07:34 PM "

I'm wondering if Caron is going to spend 1 mil and invite PDiddy, who's a bigger star than both Carmen and Kim. I hope Caron calls it his "coming out party" also. He deserves it since he's the MVP on this team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 7:53 PM

"DC Man88, you should cut back your minutes blogging, no need to have you overworked, we're going to need you for the play-off push.

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 04:39 PM "

Too much motherhood and apple pie from JSchon, but should we be surprised? No.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 7:54 PM