Cavs at Wiz

Coach Eddie Jordan said that he has no set plan for how to use Caron Butler tonight as the two-time all-star makes his return after missing 16 straight games with a left hip injury. Butler will start.

"We'll keep and eye on him and see if he pulls up but that's it," Jordan said. "I'm not going to put a time to it. If he's playing well and we have the luxury of rotating guys in, that's what we'll do. We'll use some normal substitution patterns."
I watched Caron go through his usual pre-game shooting routine before the game and he really looked locked in. It's obvious that he's desperate to get back onto the court.

Antawn Jamison (back), Antonio Daniels (left thumb) and Stewie (sore left foot) are good to go tonight as well. The Cavs will play without Zydrunas Ilgauskas (back), Daniel Gibson (ankle) and Eric Snow (knee).
Ben Wallace (back spams) will try to go as will Sasha Pavlovic, who returned last night in New Jersey after missing 23 games with a foot injury but played just under 10 minutes, missed all three shot attempts and didn't look like a guy who was ready according to the Cavs beat writers.

And just in case the game comes down to the closing seconds with the ball in LeBron's hands as these games often do, I asked Eddie about his strategy for stopping the unstoppable one (especially if he gets to take four steps or run over Brendan Haywood while drawing a blocking call).

Eddie on being between LeBron and a hard place: "If you double team him, he finds a shooter. If you don't double team him, he drives to the basket so, when it's that time of the game, I'll switch spots with (me) and then we'll see how your team's defense works and I can have all the answers after."

Well, since Eddie brought it up, here's how the Ivan Carter defense would work: I'd have DeShawn Stevenson stuck to LeBron like glue and then immediately run a second defender at LeBron as soon as he touches the basketball, which had better be behind the three-point line. I'd prefer that second defender to be a long-armed guy like Andray Blatche. Then, my guys had better rotate away from the furthest shooter and make LeBron find him.
If Damon Jones or Devin Brown or Wally Z knocks down a game winner to win it, I walk off the court, crack open a cold one and live with it but at least I'd know that LeBron (and the refs) didn't beat me.

Easier said than done.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 13, 2008; 7:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Butler, Jamison and Daniels good to go
Next: DeShawn's had enough

Comments

All we need is Caron...

Posted by: Fenty | March 13, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

EG should throw out Caron's contract and give him max money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Someone should call a hit out on DC Man88 and pay them hush money.

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

JSchon is such a sad individual.

Go CARON!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 13, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

CLE made a trade at the deadline. Wally on the pine. Joe Smith didnt come in until Sasha fouled out and Ben is in only because Z is out. Its crunch time...

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh good God. Cleveland will have the ball with a chance to win. Please put a hand in Damon Jones face for GOD SAKES!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 13, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

It didn't go in for you that time LeBron, you schmuck!!!!!!!!! Way to make it heartstopping Wizards, but I will take it just the same.

Posted by: George Templeton | March 13, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow... we almost blew it, but I will take the W's how they come, all of a sudden the future appears bright again for this club. Big win.

Posted by: Jason | March 13, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Only two games behind Toronto. Nice win, and good observation and post by JSchon

Posted by: Larry Roberts | March 13, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

And can you believe that Stevenson drew the charge on Lebron in the final minute! I couldn't believe it, but great job DeShawn!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 13, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Way to pull out the win... inspite of getting out rebounded 51-36. I see that Caron played 41 minutes... a game high for the wizards... in spite of it being his first game back.
Back to .500 !!!!!

Posted by: Dante | March 13, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Great game. LOL @ the irony of Ivan's post.

Did anyone hear Gil on TNT say that he wanted to go tonight and make a big entrance but the docs pulled him at the last minute.

Is that true, Ivan? He told Cheryl Miller he'll probably be back for the west coast trip, but someone else on the broadcast said EJ said he'll be back in time for the playoffs.

I hope DS2 and AJ are ok after that collision.

Posted by: Lou | March 13, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the f'in Terps gagged again! Hello Saturday morning NIT game next week. God that sucks!

Posted by: George Templeton | March 13, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

It was great beating the bully on our block, which is exactly why I would prefer us staying in the 6th spot. We have no history with ORL. It might be easier to play them as opposed to playing CLE which have had our number despite this win.

GA said he was thinking about making his debut tonight, did anyone else see that?

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Antawn must be wearing down under the load. The guy just can't shoot any more. At all. I cringe whenever he launches from more than 10 feet out. Ugly. Fortunately, he mostly stays inside now.

Great debut by Caron. Still, too many minutes, Eddie. Too...many...minutes. I know it's important to have him on the floor, but he won't be there for long if you overwork him again.

Fantastic game by Songaila, who seems to be re-energized of late. Smooth shooting, very nice movement off the ball. He put up a couple of those layups so quick, he looked like Jamison. He has a knack for getting open down low.

I thought a hidden key to the game was Stevenson's D on LeBron. He really hounded James, made him work hard for everything. Drew the critical charge at the end. Great positioning on that play; he saw LeBron commit to going right and beat him to the spot. I was hugely impressed with DeShawn, especially with how hobbled he's been recently.

Terrific all-around game. Good passing, few turnovers, solid D, except for allowing (again) too many open 3s.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 13, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I believe DS allowed only LJ 1 fg in the 4th, 1. DS was a monster.

I've been very critical of Songaila, but he has made me a believer with his recent play. I hope he keeps it up.

Posted by: JSchon | March 13, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Ivan's game plan worked....

Posted by: doclinkin | March 13, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The big showdown with the Clips is coming up in about a week...could we be looking at the return of GA and some future Wiz now on the Clips team?

Posted by: oddjob | March 14, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Nice win...
but what is EJ thinking?
Caron in for 41 minutes, does he have a brain?
Yes Darius is playing better ad contributing, as a 3/4 not a 5, which is where EJ insisted on playing him mostly, as the center of his "small ball".
Also that defense when we were up by 4 at the end, where only a 3 could hurt, is gross incompetence. Players can save a coaches a--, and yes a smart coach can make up for players deficiencies...hmmm which do you think this game was?

Posted by: mricklen | March 14, 2008 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Ivan's got to give us some more insight on the yapping between DS and Lebron. It looked like they were having heated exchanges all night. Even AJ took it to the king at the end. Lebron walked off the court after missing his dagger shot looking PO'd.

Les BouleS got most of the calls at the end, justifiably so, but Les BouleS would never get those calls in Cleveland. That's why home court advantage is so crucial, but that's a pipe dream for the 6th seed.

I think the game was only shown on TNT, which was nice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 14, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Spanky | March 14, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

"What the heck does it matter if the game is shown on Comcast and TNT? People have the choice to watch one or the other.

Posted by: Spanky | March 14, 2008 08:33 AM "

LOL!

No they don't, again..

Not all games are broadcast on multiple channels. Most are on comcast!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 14, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I love that attitude by DS last night, it actually started before opening tip off. I also loved the hard foul that BTH gave Lebron. This team needs to step up the attitude a bit as we head in to the playoffs. I can't recall our team having an intimidating factor since the Ruland/Mahorn days.

Also, could the refs be any more blatent while not calling fouls/travels on Lebron? Although I could not believe they ACTUALLY called that last travel on him late in the 4th.

That interview with Gilby gave me hope that he'll be back real soon, maybe Saturday night!

Posted by: The AntiDCMan | March 14, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Nice win!

I think again the end game timeouts and subsequent plays were suspect, but it worked out!

Nice game by DS!

DCMan, CB team high 41 mins! Surprised? LOL! Wow

Posted by: Rob P | March 14, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

CB lost his legs at the end.

If CB, who hasn't been out as long as Gilby, needs rest, then I'd have to say that when Gilby gets back, he might give Les BouleS 15 good minutes. I'm sure he can get off about 20 shots in those 15 tho.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse