Hawks at Wiz, Arenas update II

Brendan Haywood, who missed Saturday's game with a sore left knee, will start tonight against the Hawks. All other hands on deck as well (except for Gilbert Arenas and Etan Thomas).

The MRI exam Arenas had on his left knee today revealed that the knee is healing. What that means for Gilbert's status for this season is anyone's guess. Arenas spoke with the reporters a short while ago in the locker room. He will practice tomorrow and "ramp up" his activity in practice.

Arenas: They said everything is healed, everything is healing but I still have some inflammation. So they want me to ramp it back up, actually go full, full speed. I'm going to test it out on the practice court tonight, give it a real hard workout and see how it reacts tomorrow."

Rather than try to intrepret this for you, I'll just run the interview as it flowed. I have no idea what to think so read it and try to read the situation for yourself.

Could you play Wednesday?
Arenas: "I don't know to be honest. They want me to ramp it up just to see. One (doctor) said give it a 12-day ramp up just to see. At the end of the day, they said when I come back it's just going to be an assist game. They don't want me in there jumping and being acrobatic."

Can you play that way?
Arenas: "Yeah. Just play the way I do in practice. Just an assist game. Don't be jumping in the air getting banged up."

Are you positive that you are going to play this season?
"I don't know. I'm hoping. I do want to play. It's hard when all you know is something your whole life and then it gets taken away from you so, hopefully I can get back out there but at the end of the day, it's still a mental thing. I don't want to go out there second guessing so I have to get my mind wrapped around that I just have to play a basic game until next season."

On speculation that he may be delaying his return do to financial considerations (as you know, Gilbert plans on opting out of the final season of his contract this summer to become an unrestricted free agent. He wants to sign a maximum contract but fears that a third injury to the left knee will seriously hurt his chances.

Arenas: "At the end of the day, (not playing) is the smartest thing to do. Let's be honest. But at the end of the day, I still love the game of the basketball and that will overtake everything. A hyped game will actually get me out there. If the doctors were not here against Cleveland, I'd be playing right now."

So to clarify, as far as Wednesday goes, you may play or may not?
Arenas: "Everything is 50/50 to be honest. It depends on how I feel that night. The doctors said: "ramp it up." I asked them (the doctors), "can I ramp it up in a game?" and they were like: "well, let's work out in practice before you go out there in a game."

So you haven't actually been cleared to play in a game yet?
Arenas: "No."

Coach Eddie Jordan was asked about Arenas and his reply is as follows.
"There is no timetable for Gilbert. He's showing improvement, we're going to pick up his workouts a little bit more. A little bit more intense and then we're going to take a reading of his reaction after each workout and see how that goes but, we like the fact that he's improving remarkably well."

On speculation that Arenas may not play this season:
Jordan: "Again, we're taking it as a process. There's no end or destination right now for Gil's progress. It's a process and the process is: rachet it up, see how it goes, how it responds. Gil loves to play basketball. It's killing him not to play the game of basketball and once he is assured and the doctors are assured that he is ready to go in an NBA game, then he'll go in an NBA game. That's how we're going to go."

By Ivan Carter  |  March 17, 2008; 6:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jamison honored, injury update
Next: Tuesday update

Comments

Dear God Ivan, "positive" in MRI terms is a negative. Did you mean positive as in positive for us and Gilbert? Or positive as in the MRI was not good? Please be more specific!

Posted by: Bryan | March 17, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Also, no one ever understands Gilbert-speak. He makes it sound like he's 50-50 this Wednesday but also 50-50 for the season. Please put in English for us, Doc. When will we see Gilbert in action in all likelihood?

Posted by: Bryan | March 17, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

positive?! scared me too for a second.

Posted by: satch | March 17, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

call me an optimist, but I tend to believe that the adversity that the Wizards have faced this season, and at the end of last season, have made them a stronger, deeper, better team. I have the same feeling about Arenas' comeback - Gilbert has been accused in the past of going it alone too often, and not involving other players as much as he could/should. if his comeback game is reduced to more assists and fewer drives to the lane, that's something that could make him a more effective offensive weapon in the longterm, and could make the team as a whole much more dangerous. I'm really looking forward to see how this plays out.

Posted by: satch | March 17, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

My read is that Gilbert is so emotional about the situation, it is hard to get a good read. The advice of his doctors, however, seems pretty clear -- ramp things up for 12 days in practice, don't be doing a lot of jumping, focus more on lateral movement, running, etc.

My fear is that the team needs to hold Gilbert back, and the team does not have a good history of holding their players back from injury.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Um, yeah. Positive means the opposite of what Ivan thinks it means when relating to MRIs.

Posted by: Barno | March 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

That interview was soaked with uncertainty and confusion! Not to mention that a positive MRI result is negative which means all is good? Whatever. Gilbertology is a very difficult subject. It's a lost cause trying to figure it all out. I guess we just wait and see what happens.

Posted by: low | March 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, by positive do you mean as in good results or his MRI result was positive?

Man this blog was confusing.

Posted by: Vishal | March 17, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The official update on Gilbert Arenas is that he is still a little wierd...

Posted by: p1funk | March 17, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

If I were Ernie, I'd just tell GA to shut it down for the year. You can't have a player out there if doctors want him to avoid contact and jumping. That just doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 17, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Huh. Kind of makes you yearn for the simplicity of a Rasheed Wallace Q&A session, where the answer to any and all lines of inquiry is, "Both teams played hard."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

healING and healED are two different words, they are spelled differently and sound differently. Sounds like the Wiz would be getting Steve Kerr if Gil did try it. Since Stevenson and Daniels are hurting, he could probably provide some offensive minutes playing a new position, point guard. Defense has never been his game anyway.
Is it possible to structure a combination of a contract and disability package which would pay the contract if he goes down, but doesn't count against the cap?

Posted by: Lrmc623 | March 17, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

If he plays or not the bottom line is this team plays no defense. They couldn't stop Charlotte at home. They couldn't stop the Clippers at home and I'm sure the Hawks will run wild on them tonight as well. The problem is the coach!!! Defense requires smarts and heart and they have neither.

Posted by: Max P | March 17, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Gil needs to not come back until at least Sunday when the Pistons come to town. Just wait a few more days, no need to rush it against Orlando and Miami. Just wait until Sunday, he can get in a groove at home for 1 game before the West trip. Just be cautious Gil, wait a few more days.

Posted by: Roman | March 17, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

What's so confusing about this? He's itching to play, but he hasn't been cleared yet. Also, he's itching to play but is afraid he's going to hurt his knee again and lose out on a big contract--or worse. It's also a matter of trying to get enough time to get used to playing in games again so the team can be good for the playoffs, and also not coming back too soon and getting hurt again. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm tracking with Gil completely. He's a little nervous and, as usual, he's being up front about it.

Posted by: Irene Pollin | March 17, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Barno, I think Ivan knows what positive means as it relates to an MRI. He simply made a mistake. My goodness, some people in here jump all over these writers for making mistakes in a blog. I wonder, do these same people ever err?

Posted by: Colin | March 17, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

What is the problem?

The doctors told Gilby that he's fully healed. How much more pampering does this dude need?

Work your way back to condition in a game.

Gilby says he could come back as an assist man on offense. What about defense?

In the end, it won't matter on defense b/c Gilby don't play D anyway. With Gilby in the lineup, he'll be a liability on offense, defense, and rebounding (offensive and defensive).

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

GA doesn't always make sense when he talks, but that doesn't mean that he's malingering. If GA's knee was fully healed, he wouldn't be getting inflammation, and the doctors wouldn't be telling him that he needs to avoid jumping and contact if he returns. If he can't jump or take a hit, he's not going to be much use at either end of the court.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 17, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

They are doing the right thing, it's actually kind of refreshing considering the past of this organization.

Before they would have told him to "rub some dirt on it" and go play, get hurt, and have him never be the same player ever again.

Personally I'm glad they are being cautious and agree with John Brisker.

Barno is an a$$, don't read anything that guy has to say Ivan.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 17, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

When did Ivan say the MRI results were positive? He said, "The MRI exam Arenas had on his left knee today revealed that the knee is healing." The he ran the Gil interview and let him characterize it.

What are you guys talking about?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

This is the second game in a row the Wizards don't deserve to win.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys talking about?
Posted by: | March 17, 2008 09:09 PM

It was edited & corrected, happens all the time on the WaPo blogs...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Caron was trying to do too much at the end of the game. Three straight possessions he blew at the very end. I love the guy, but he needs to recognize he's not yet back to 100%.

Don't know why Eddie pulled Darius toward the end in favor of Brendan. He was playing solid ball and hard-nosed defense.

Blatche has been AWOL lately.

Posted by: Prazak | March 17, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz were simply outplayed tonite the Hawks made shots all game long Al Horford looked like Bill Russell. Mike Bibby made every big shot, they got two and three offensive rebounds per possesion. The Hawks are simply too athletic for the Wizards EJ needs to retool the lineup for these guys because I don't see the Wiz staying with them.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 17, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys talking about?
Posted by: | March 17, 2008 09:09 PM

It was edited & corrected, happens all the time on the WaPo blogs...

Posted by: | March 17, 2008 09:28 PM

Ok, thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Healed or not healed?

"Arenas: I'm just going to go hard today, tomorrow and see how it feels Wednesday. If it feels the same as it does now, then I could play because it means it's not getting worse. I mean, that's my whole concern. I asked them: "will I get hurt again?" They said: "no, everything is healed up.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

What is up with Gilby and his mixed messages? First he says the doctors don't want him to jump, and now this:

""They said everything healed," Arenas said before Washington played Atlanta Monday night. "They want me to ramp it back up -- go full speed."

Arenas said he would work out Monday night, and see how it feels Tuesday. Arenas said one doctor who examined him recommended he work out strenuously for 12 days."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Also, how about earning the $12 million he's stealing from the Wiz, THIS YEAR.

Posted by: Ted | March 17, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

" with Gilby in the lineup, he'll be a liability on offense, defense, and rebounding"

Whoa, take a breath there. Are you sure you want to go that far?

If dude is so unhealthy that he's going to be a liability at all three phases, it'll already have been made clear at practice, so don't worry. Anyway, I could see some limited basis for complaining about his D, but his rebounding has always been exceptional from the point position. As for a liability scoring...I just don't see it.

I think Irene Pollin (?!?) has it right when she says Gil is just nervous, and that's normal, and he is a little weird too. But hey, aren't we all?

The thing about coming back from something like that is first you have to get your confidence back to try things, and then to gain strength back so you can do them quick and hard like you used to.

It takes a little while to get from being healed - to being confident that you are, which is tough till you have your quickness back too.

All this talk about limiting his game is silly, because the game itself will dictate what he has to do. He can try not to drive and get acrobatic and all, but what'll happen is people will close more and more on his outside shot, finally getting to the point of daring him to drive.

Finally, he will. He'll have to. Then, when they start closing off what he's doing, he'll naturally start getting more acrobatic to still get his shot off - like any serious scorer would do. The "problem" will take care of itself naturally. He won't have any choice - he'll naturally round into form whether he likes it or not.

Posted by: Tom deSabla | March 17, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"Gil keeps saying that the smart thing is to sit out. Will someone give him his $100 million if he's been pretty much out the past year and a half?

Also, how about earning the $12 million he's stealing from the Wiz, THIS YEAR.

Posted by: Ted | March 17, 2008 10:39 PM "

These ATHALETES have such huge egos that they feel teams are lucky that their injured asses are even sitting on the bench while they are out injured, unless your name is Caron.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Get real, Ted. The doctors do not want him to play. Gil has had 2 surgeries.....he's not stealing anything. When he signed in DC, he practically brought this franchise back from the dead with the help of Jamison and Caron.

Geez....you try having surgery - sure you would want your employer to pay you while you recover.

Posted by: Spanky | March 17, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

"Whoa, take a breath there. Are you sure you want to go that far?

Posted by: Tom deSabla | March 17, 2008 10:46 PM "

Asked what he could provide for the team while he's working his way back, Gilby said he can become an "assist man."

Being an assist man doesn't mean he's going to look for his shot. Remember, he's not supposed to jump per doctor's orders. Flat footed jumpers for Gilby? NOT! Chick Hernandez could probably block his shot.

Also, the link above quoted him as saying the doctors told him not to go into the paint near the basket. That means he won't be rebounding, which of course requires you to jump also.

With regard to defense, a word really missing from Gilby's vocabulary, don't you think opposing guards will be drooling to try to get at him, rough him up, cross him over, etc?

Gilby WAS quoted as saying he would come back if it was a hyped up game. WRONG!

The last thing Les BouleS need is for Gilby to come back on his first day and play in a hyped up game. That would put undue pressure on him and he might get hurt again. He's better off playing in games against bottom feeders like Miami.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

How about this:

a) The Wizards get a coach that plays the big man who is producing an iota of inside presence for the last 22 minutes of the game. I'm not Haywood's biggest fan, but Jordan is clearing acting out his personal vendetta against him by keeping him off the floor during crunch time.

Posted by: alec | March 17, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"c) Realize that committing MAX money on Gilbert means gambling on someone who hasn't played for a year and a half with a twice injured knee. This means that the Wizards probably won't have the cash to sign the more reliable option (Caron) and instead feel content with 3 or 4 more seasons of 6 seeds and first round exists in the playoffs under Gilbert. I'm not opposed to resigning Gilbert, but forking over the payroll to someone who is going to take probably another year to even be at 75 percent of previous ability (think Amari in Phoenix) is unreasonable. Gilbert says he wants to play for a championship contender and be paid max money. Unless he turns into Lebron and drags a squad of scrubs to the finals with him, he won't be able to do that in Washington while soaking up so much cap space.

Posted by: alec | March 17, 2008 11:11 PM "

Business as usual in Les BouleS land, until ownership changes.

Don't you forget that the most important thing is getting that lux tax welfare.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Troll88 | March 17, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

"The Wizards get a coach that plays the big man who is producing an iota of inside presence for the last 22 minutes of the game. I'm not Haywood's biggest fan, but Jordan is clearing acting out his personal vendetta against him by keeping him off the floor during crunch time."

Yes, because Jordan so hates Haywood that he would rather lose games and sabotage his own team and job security rather than play Haywood. Because, as anyone who knows basketball will tell you, Haywood is the greatest big man in the history of men over 7 feet tall, right? Jesus ...

"b) The Wizards spend some of their cash on a proven leader (Jamison), shed some of their excess skin (Songaila, Thomas, and Stevenson, Daniels, or Mason), and keep some cap room to pursue a serious four or one."

Yes, they should simply choose among the many teams lining up and clamoring to trade high draft picks and cash for their overpaid backup C coming off heart surgery. And anyone who still thinks Stevenson, Songaila, and Daniels are spare parts hasn't been watching many Wizards games lately.

"c) Realize that committing MAX money on Gilbert means gambling on someone who hasn't played for a year and a half with a twice injured knee. This means that the Wizards probably won't have the cash to sign the more reliable option (Caron) and instead feel content with 3 or 4 more seasons of 6 seeds and first round exists in the playoffs under Gilbert."

It hasn't been a year and a half since Gilbert last played, even if you don't count the five games he played at the beginning of this season. A year and 1/2 since Gilbert hurt the knee would be October. If he's not signed to a deal with Washington by then, it's because he's signed somewhere else. And the Wizards signed Butler to a 5-year extension 2 1/2 years ago, so resigning him won't be an issue for a couple of years.

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Just finished watching tape of loss to Hawks. Wanted to carefully watch tonight because I have been so busy I have only been catching games off and on the last few weeks. That game was very disappointing.

Some quick reflections:

*Songalia did some good things but EJ stayed with small ball too long.

*Mason, like Haywood, was hot. Yet Stevenson was trusted down the stretch. Why?

*Jamison should seek to work the post a little more and not settle for 3's. I wonder if he is really wearing down more than we realize.

* Hawks athleticism is scary compared to us.

*Caron was trying to do too much down the stretch.

* Blatche is rightfully in doghouse. Has he hit a wall or something? Brings no energy like in past. Just doesn't look good anymore on either end.

* Biggest complaint: The home crowd in the VC is pathetic. Come on, make some noise folks! They wait for things to happen rather than make things happen as in many other arenas. Either they are too analytical and therefore not crazy enough or they are simply disinterested corporate types. Either way I think it is normally pretty easy for other teams to come in and play with confidence. Those of you who go need to step it up.

I sure hope we can hold our 6 seed down the stretch. But I don't have a lot of confidence right now that we can.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 18, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

please please please can we turn the arena into madhouse not a library! You guys underestimate the power of a crazed arena. How our players can feed off the energy of the 6th man(the fan). I know longer live in DC however as I travel througout the country I watch almost every game. The energy level of the fans is terrible. Think about it they had to put a picture up of a Cowboy helmet or player to make you boo the opposing team? Come on thats lame. FANS STEP YOUR GAME UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: truewizfan | March 18, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

"GIlby this, Abe that. Broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record,broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record, broken record,broken record . . .

Posted by: DC Troll88 | March 17, 2008 11:41 PM "

Unfortunately for you, the tune still sounds sweet from that record.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Alec, I couldn't have said it better myself!
This is the #1 reason Ernie must get rid of the current coach. You don't think the players see this? How much respect would you have for your "leader" if he did this to one of your own? Which brings me to my 2nd point, Eddie's lack of leadership. 3rd his lack of creativity as evident by his actions last night. What he needed to have on the floor was his most atheltic team. Now I know his options are limited right now, but RM should not have been on the floor for those minutes. He was like a statue on defense. Put CB and DMac on one of their guards. What happened to AB? Looks like another Eddie vs. BH type situation brewing.
I know Eddie has done some good things, but he has worn it out with the Wiz. At the end of this season Eddie must go.

Posted by: oddjob | March 18, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Then what's the point?

Posted by: browneri | March 18, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Gilby's playing with my mind...ahhh, I can't take it anymore.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey Oddjob: Here we go again with the get rid of EJ rants,get rid of EJ then what?I know bring in LEONARD HAMILTON,OR GAR HEARD, OR DOUG COLLINS.HEY!! SCOTT SKILES IS AVAILABLE HOW ABOUT KELVIN SAMPSON ?Lets get serious EJ demands professionalism from his players AB'S problem is he is inconsistent and immature witness his play lately no twenty one year old should be "hitting the wall" after almost three years in the league.Its not EJ's fault that he is gassed after an extended period on the floor he is getting paid big money he should have enough pride to keep himself in peak condition.As far as some of EJ's moves during the game, basketball as you may or may not know is a game of matchups you work with what you got and hope your players perform.Last night the Wiz I feel were simply lacking on the defensive end and missed critical shots down the stretch their backcourt outplayed our backcourt and they got every rebound when it counted.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 18, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Face it fella's, Ernie may have his hands tied with respect to firing EJ. Firing EJ after re-upping him will cost millions, and we all know how cheap Abe is. Abe did cut MJ loose, but I don't know if it actually cost him much

I bet Ernie is pulling his hair out watching EJ's random substitution patterns and his playing injured players over healthy ones.

Posted by: Charlie | March 18, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Gilby's playing with my mind...ahhh, I can't take it anymore."

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 08:55 AM

That wasn't me in that last post.

Hey Ma, make me some eggs please!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The way I read this is that Gilbert is as good as new for a normal human being. But with an elite athlete riding the edge of what the the human body is capable of, there are no guarantees. The doctors are confident that the healed structures are capable of taking anything that a normal person could do, but with a world-class athlete, they just don't know.

Personally, I want Gilbert on the court. Best case scenario is that he learns to be effective without his athleticism. Get smarter, learn to anticipate quicker. Then when the athleticism kicks back in, he'll be even better. (Kind of like how not being allowed to dunk forced Kareem to develop the sky-hook.)

Posted by: TC | March 18, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Eddie did not lose this game last night. Did he stay with Songalia at the 5 a little too long in the 4th quarter? Maybe, but that did not lose the game.

AB has not been bringing it lately for some reason, so I guess EJ sat him down to get him to "want" some minutes. He is not scoring and he often gets out rebounded by the opposing "5", so Eddie yanked him.

You have to remember, the Hawks are like the 76er's. Very young and they can fly. Did you notice that 4th quarter defense they put on the Wiz? Mike Woodson coached under Larry Brown, enough said.

The Wiz are clearly very tired and they can not run with the young teams right now with their injury conditions. Eddie did not lose this game, the Wiz were just out gunned tonight.....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 18, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Ditto on the Verizon Center crowd. Turn down the lights !! Nobody wants to be caught acting crazy and making noise on the jumbotron when the whole place is lit up like a furniture showroom.
Props to Songaila. He played solid D against Josh Smith in spots. I'm an AD fan but it seems like lately he's been the weak link. I'm not sure what can be done about it, though. I disagree with some of the posters here in that I think that GA can be a threat to shoot even at 75%. All it takes is the threat and that will cause defenders to play up on him and perhaps dbl him, leading to assist possibilities. remember, he averages 6 assists a game last year even when he wasn't trying. Imagine what he could do is he's trying to consciously pass the ball. I'm an admitted optimist but it can only be good to see GA get in a mindset where he's looking to create where he can and take over at other times. maye when he's fully healthy (next year) he'll have his athleticism back and still have that mindset, Imagine trying to guard a guy who will willingly give it up to an open teammate yet can still score almost at will. It will be a nightmare for opponents.
Now, if we can only get our D to respond. What happened to Ayers? IMO, Dave Hopla is the coach of the year. With his help, all of our starters have improved their free throw shooting this year. It's kept us in a number of games that we probably shouldn't have been in.

Posted by: mark | March 18, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I believe if Arenas goes hard on practice and has no ill-effect, he will play. End of story!

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 18, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"Personally, I want Gilbert on the court. Best case scenario is that he learns to be effective without his athleticism."

Posted by: TC | March 18, 2008 08:59 AM

I agree. As for Eddie, every loss isn't totally his fault, every win isn't totally due to him. He makes mistakes in each loss just like players. The thing about EJ and Haywood that I just can't understand, and it has happened over and over again, is that Haywood scores 14 points in the first half of the game, but only takes 1 shot in the second half. If your center is doing so well in the first half, how can you not get him the ball in the 2nd half?????? Half of that is EJ's fault, half of that is the players' fault (Daniels' especially, since he's the PG). Use the weapons you have.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

AB is a legitimate 4 and not a 5. I know this won't happen but in my view one thing that can get AB re-energize is bring him back as a starter and AJ as a 6th man. He can replace DS, CB or AB at the halfway mark of the 1st quarter. Playing NY, AB and DM at the same time is asking for trouble. Dsong played exceptional yesterday but again he's not a 5. I agree, Defense has been non existence for the past 3 games. That's not the way to prepare for the play-offs. EJ coached solid (not great) last night.

Posted by: Dave, | March 18, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Bullets Fever #1 has it right. The Wiz are clearly a tired, banged up team and it's no secret. The Hawks are younger, healthier, and more athletic. The Wiz barely beat them at home last year with a full arsenal, before they traded for Bibby, who gives them the playoff experience they needed. As far as EJ, he's playing TWO starters who can barely use their left hand due to injury!!!

People who are on the bandwagon to have EJ fired are very misinformed. To be at .500 without GA for almost the entire season and CB for 6 weeks is a credit to the coach and the staff. The Wiz will make the playoffs with or without GA in the lineup - it just may be as a lower seed. Did EJ miss all of the shots the last 5 minutes of the game? Or were the Hawks contesting every shot and making it hard for the Wiz to score? The Hawks aren't the Clippers who gave away the game on Saturday.

I personally hope GA doesn't play until he is truly ready for contact. A player who is "healing" and can't have contact in the paint is not ready for an NBA game. I hope the Wiz don't rush him back because they feel their playoff run depends on his return.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 18, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

My gut tells me that Caron is still hurt/not fully recovered. He's just not letting on and being as vocal about it like Gilby, b/c he's Tough Juice.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Gilby should just shut it down like Stackhouse. With that that, we can close the chapter on this overhyped diva.

Posted by: Real Wiz Fan | March 18, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

This is great news guys!

Gilby is not the supreme Les BouleS player. Les BouleS value Caron and AJ just as much.

Les BouleS will be getting Odom and Derek Fisher, or Maggete and/or Brand. Nevertheless, both LA clubs will be after Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Also, how about earning the $12 million he's stealing from the Wiz, THIS YEAR.

Posted by: Ted | March 17, 2008 10:39 PM

If only the rest of us were paid full salary when we are hurt on the job.

"Stealing" ?

what do you want - should the NBA stop guaranteeing contracts for injury?

Boy, that would be a fun game to watch! No one willing to risk their $5 Million job to drive to the basket. All fade-away jump shots. Defense a thing of the past. Walking the ball up the court. Everyone going half speed.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ma! Meatloaf! F**k!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Ma! Meatloaf! F**k!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:30 AM "

This idiot troll (mark, JSchon, Prazak, GM, Lisa, et all) using my name is clearly upset by the information I am presenting, and can't face the fact that Gilby is the impetus for all this hype that he will leave Les BouleS this summer.

Les BouleS have offered to extend his current contract, but he wants more money. Now, he's at a crossroads with facing a decision to either own up to his current contract and play, or sit out so that he can have more suitors this summer.

If EG, EJ, and Abe had any canjones, they would make this dude play when the doctors clear him.

It's too bad basketball is not like football. If it were football, and Gilby was the WR, I would call a pass play and have him run through the middle of the field. That should wake him up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"If only the rest of us were paid full salary when we are hurt on the job.

"Stealing" ?

what do you want - should the NBA stop guaranteeing contracts for injury?

Posted by: | March 18, 2008 10:20 AM "

Face it, at this state of the season, there are no starts in the league that are 100% healthy.

If doctors clear Gilby to play, and he doesn't, he's stealing from Les BouleS and the fans.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"Somebody posted that article yesterday. Wiz will not get Brand because the article says that LA would be willing to trade the rest of the Clippers to team Brand WITH Arenas. That leaves the rest of the trash on that team. YIPEE!!

Posted by: | March 18, 2008 10:41 AM "

Nevermind who's coming here, the real point of the story is that both LA clubs will be going after Gilby, and that's a bad sign for Les BouleS. LA would be a huge market for Gilby, and he could easily make up not getting max money with endorsements. I don't see him joining the Lakers tho b/c even though Kobe is his idol, I don't think Gilby likes being second fiddle.

Les BouleS would be lucky to get anything as compensation, since Gilby is opting out. Hopefully that compensation is for players in their final year so that cap space can be cleared after they leave. Or, even better, draft picks to go with the players.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The DCTroll truly has no life NOW...and IF Gil left then what the heck would he do? He would have absolutely NOTHING to blog about - poor tormented thang.

Guess he would follow Gil whenever he goes and torch that poor team.

Truly pathetic.

Posted by: Spanky | March 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Spanky the pathetic troll truly has no life. What would she do if I stopped providing accurate news about Gilby? Probably the best would be to stick a firearm into her mouth.

In case this troll didn't notice, Gilby is relevant news right now due to his impending return. What else would you expect logging onto a sports news blog?

What an idiot Spanky Troll is.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 10:48 AM

It does not matter if both LA clubs WANT Arenas. They either have to clear Cap space to offer him a contract, or offer the Wizards something in a Sign-and-Trade deal.

2. Neither team, unless they are willing to part with their stars (Gasol, Bynum, Kobe Bryant, Elton Brand, Kaman), have ANYTHING that the Wizards would consider fair trade value.

Be very careful about paying attention to "rumors" at this stage of the season. GM's and other Team sources will never come out in public to say they will be going after this play or that player - the NBA tampering rules are pretty strict; so most rumors are really started by writers, trying to come up with something interesting to write about.

Posted by: Rook | March 18, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Nobody who plays for the Clippers is going to make a windfall in endorsements.

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"1. Neither team has enough expiring contracts to get far enough under the Salary cap to offer anything close to even Arenas' current salary

Posted by: Rook | March 18, 2008 11:13 AM "

Uh, I think both LA clubs are prepared to do whatever it takes to get Gilby, and if Gilby decides to leave b/c Les Boules don't offer max money, then EG may be forced to accept whatever garbage that makes the numbers work in a sign and trade.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Nobody who plays for the Clippers is going to make a windfall in endorsements.

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 11:14 AM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Les Clips just let Sam Cassell walk, and Shaun Livingston is a huge question mark. Who's their future at PG, Brevin Knight and Smush Parker?

I think Gilby will fit their needs and be ready to take over the town as Kobe gets older and/or threatens for another trade, possibly to NY.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:19 AM

Or better yet, offer him Max money.

The Lakers can't offer Arenas ANYTHING as a Free Agent. They won't have Cap room.

The Clippers will have about $3-4 Million, depending on the actual Cap number next year.

The point is that the Wizards can offer Arenas a 6-Year contract, starting at $15,649,500 per year. (with raises each year, would put the contract well over $120 Million).

The BEST the Lakers or Clippers can offer is the Mid-Level exception (probably around $6 Million next year).

Don't get me wrong... If the Lakers are really serious about doing "whatever it takes to get Gilby" and offer up Kobe Bryant, of if the Clipers offered Brant, the Wizards should seriously consider it. That's not going to happen!

But again - don't pay attention to all the rumors you hear about this team going after that player etc... most of it is garbage dreamed up by some writer!

Posted by: Rook | March 18, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ? | March 18, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

There was a post that said he won't return until the Western road trip so he should follow the doctor's orders and wait until then...

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | March 18, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | March 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

That was a very confusing interview and blog. Is it "healed" or is it "healing"? At the end of the day they want him to ramp it up, but don't jump and be acrobatic?? At the end of the day it's 50/50? It's going to be an assist game??

I'm starting to get the feeling he is headed to the Lakers.

Posted by: Darnell | March 18, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Why, Darnell? How? For what?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I love these Gilbert-to-L.A. rumors. Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher for Arenas in a sign-and-trade? That made my morning.

I know athletes are largely selfish, as most of us would be. Of course money comes first, and like most athletes, Gilbert is clearly focused on himself. But does he have to make it so obvious?

Posted by: Ben | March 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe, Arenas

That's a team that can win championships. The endorsements, the star-studded crowd, the fans would love him. For a kid from LA who was drafted in the 2nd round, what more could you ask for.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah good luck finding cap room for that roster.

Posted by: Ben | March 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah good luck finding cap room for that roster.

Posted by: Ben | March 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

There was a very interesting article if you go back and read it now, when Gil was talking about the Kobe situation when Kobe was demanding a trade. Gil was talking about how LA was the best place to play, and have the best fans. He was saying that Kobe should stay there because other players want to go there, and maybe Jason Kidd will go there when he's a free agent. Maybe he was saying Jason Kidd, but really meant himself.

Why would he want to stay here and play at Verizon where no one cheers, when he could play for his hometown fans? He's obviously setting it all up with his comments about being an assist man, and not needing to be the #1 offensive option.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Kobe, Arenas"

"That's a team that can win championships."

It's also a team that will never exist. No way Grunfeld agrees to a deal that sends Arenas to the Lakers without getting one of those other 4 in return.

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 18, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Gil made a comment about how this offseason is just like when he was at Golden State (when he left).

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

http://www.probasketballnews.com/pbn_arenas031708.html doesn't even quote the WaPo accurately. Anybody who has even followed this casually knows that DC is the only franchise that can offer GA a six-year max deal.

The Clippers? Yeah, right. I used to live in LA and went to a lot of Clippers games--it was easy to get tickets, particularly when they played at the old LA Sports Arena, where a lot of people were scared to go at night. They sucked then and will always suck, because Don Sterling is the worst owner in sports. I know that GA once contemplated an offer from them, back before he became a top player. But I can't imagine that he'd want to go there now, unless his real dream in life is to be the next Mitch Richmond and waste his remaining years on a bottom-feeding team. Beyond that, I'm trying to imagine Sterling making a max offer to anybody. I recall that he grudgingly matched an offer sheet for Brand, but I think that's the extent of his largesse. For the most part, his strategy over the past couple of decades has been to get high draft picks every year and then let them leave once their rookie contracts expire.

The Lakers? No cap room, either. That Odom-and-Fisher sign and trade doesn't make a lot of sense for either team, even if the numbers worked, which they probably don't. The Lakers won championships with Fisher and Ron Harper playing in the backcourt opposite Kobe. They need a catch-and-shoot 4th option at that position, not a freelancer like GA. Fisher is an exceedingly rare commodity, a relatively cheap player who can knock down bigtime shots consistently when you need him to. Where they need an upgrade is at small forward, where Odom has never really achieved his promise. As for the Wizards, what would they do with him? They're already stacked at the 3 and 4 positions, so where would Odom play? AB is way cheaper, and once he gets more consistent, as good or better of a player.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 18, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Instead of ramping it up, he should just wrap it up.

Who wants a tentative Gilbert looking to pass it off. His whole game is driving and attacking on offense. If he can't bring that, we're better off with AD.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

y'know, I'm starting to wonder whether GA will actually opt out this summer. Might not be the smartest move financially at this point.

Posted by: John Brisker | March 18, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Is it just me, or does it strike anyone else as insane that Arenas is even talking about opting out of the last year of his contract this off-season? He said that no owner would give him max money if he got hurt again and had to have a third knee operation, but what owner in his right mind would commit tens of millions of dollars to someone who has had two such operations and has not yet proven that he can come back and play with anywhere near his previous level of proficiency? Seems to me that the logical thing to do is to sit out until the knee is completely healed, then come back later this year or even next year, under his current contract, and prove over the course of a full season that he can stay healthy and be the player he once was. That's the best way to maximize his next contract.

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 18, 2008 12:18 PM "

If you've followed the drama behind Gilby, you would know that he's a walking contradiction.

*In one instance, he said he won't strap Les BouleS like AI/KG and ask for max money.

* Then he got hurt and was awakened that he had to provide his family with financial security even though he had a 65 mil contract with Les BouleS and EG was willing to offer him an extension, which Gilby turned down.

* Therefore, Gilby turned down all these guarantees and security to opt out for more money, just for pure greed, which goes against his reason for opting out, which was to provide himself with financial security.

Conclusion: Gilby is a self contradicting, greedy person who doesn't care about Les BouleS, the fans, or anyone else. Just number 1. Him and his ego.

Therefore, Gilby is stealing from Les BouleS if he's fully healthy, but unwilling to play because he's worried about losing leverage in the free agent market. How should EG/Abe feel about this, paying a player who's only looking out for his own self interests with this summer's free agent signing period? I'd be pissed if I were them.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"The rest of the team is in a playoff race. Everyone is dealing with injuries. Everyone is putting something on the line. So when Arenas makes it clear that he's focused on his next contract, and that it might not be in Gilbert's interests for Gilbert to suit up and play this season, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the guys?

Posted by: Ben | March 18, 2008 12:04 PM "

I think the team has taken notice since he went out and made it a point to do well without him. And, they've done that.

You can clearly see how selfish of a player Gilby, which I've pointed out a long time ago.

AJ is going to be a free agent this summer. Do you see him yapping off? He's just doing the best that he can to put wins on the board. Caron is probably still hurt, but is back playing anyway. What this team is learning right now without Gilby is going to take them a long way. They have confidence that they can win without Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"If I wanted to post something I'd use my own name, 88. If you really want to name all of the folks here who are bored by your posts (all of them GA oriented) you'd need to type more than just the 5 or 6 names that you did. Blame yourself for someone posting in your name, not me. As for the troll comment,....whatever. I'm not getting sucked into that trap with you. You need attention, you got it. Peace.

Posted by: mark | March 18, 2008 11:43 AM "

If it wasn't you, then I apologize for including your name.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"The IDIOT is such a mess of contradictions...all he does is TRASH Arenas but then admits that he "revitalized" the Wiz.

Posted by: ? | March 18, 2008 11:38 AM "

This idiot must be Spanky, b/c if you actually read my post, it said "gilby HELPED" revitalize Les BouleS. Gilby didn't do it all by himself!

You're probably the same idiot (Lisa) who chimed that AJ and TMac weren't in the same division even though it was irrelevant to my point of contention...not about eastern player of the week, but about NBA MVP, which that idiot troll GM said AJ deserved to be considered for.

-----------------------------------------

"You don't think someone like Gilby can revitalize the Clippers? He helped do the same for the Clippers of the East, Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:20 AM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Can the conversation please return back to the game last night, or what is going on with AB, how "hurt" is CB for real, Ted Leonis and his status with Abe, does the coaching staff deserve extended contracts, Eddie's and Ernie's working relationship, is Hoopla signed only for one year or more, etc., etc.,.....

There is more to blog about then Gilbert, Gilbert, Gilbert........!!!! Wait for the end of the season, see if he opts out and then we can talk about it. As for now, everything is "what if's", so why are we still talking about it.....?????

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 18, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"As long as Donald Sterling owns the team, the Clippers are doomed to mediocrity. And while Arenas was certainly part of the Wizards turnaround, he was hardly the sole driver. Jamison's leadership and steady locker room presence (along with his all-star game) had as much (if not more) to do with it.

Posted by: kalorama | March 18, 2008 11:38 AM "

See above. I certainly didn't say "sole driver." I said Gilby helped.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Man this Gilbert stuff is getting "OLD"....!! Ivan can you please start up another blog with the subject not being Gilbert. How many times can you beat a dead horse!!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 18, 2008 12:47 PM "

Check the latest blog item. It won't meet your needs either.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

They have confidence that they can win without Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 12:36 PM

I cannot dispute that the Wizards, as they are currently constructed, can "win" without Gilbert Arenas...

However, they will NEVER be a Championship contender.

A helathy Arenas, or a comparable top tier player obtained in a Sign-and-Trade, can put the Wizards over the top to be a contending team.

But it would be foolish for the Wizards to trade away a top player (Arenas) for multiple middle tier players (Odom, Fisher, etc..), or for position players where they already have a strong core. The Forward position, for instance, is probably the team's biggest strength (Butler, Jamison, Blatche, Songaila, McGuire, Pecherov)...

No way you can trade Arenas for a top-tier Center - just won't happen.

So, the Wizards either need to re-sign Arenas, or trade him for another Point Guard.

So, who's out there that's worth that price, other than the untouchables (Kidd, Paul, Nash, Deron Williams)?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 18, 2008 11:20 AM

HIM TROLLY TROLL SAY GILBERT DO GOOD FOR WIZARDS. WHY BEFORE TROLLY TROLL SAY GILBERT NO GOOD BUT NOW HE GOOD. TROLLY TROLL TALK NOBODY UNDERSTAND. HE SAY CHASY MAGADY GOOD WHEN HOUSTON WIN GAME TWO MUCH BUT HE MAYBE NO LIKE CHASY MAGADY WHO DO NUTING HE ONLY SHOOT AND SHOOT. TROLLY TROLL LIKE GILBERT BUT SAY HE NO LIKE GILBERT BUT HE LIKE GILBERT. IF HE NO LIKE GILBERT WHY HE SAY GILBERT DO GOOD FOR THE TEAM WHEN HE COME HERE

Posted by: Me F.O.B. | March 18, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, I was wrong on a few details but my point remains the same. WIth Arenas, they are a 4 or 5 seed not getting out of the second round of the playoffs. Without him, they are a 5 or 6 seed not getting out of the second round of the playoffs. Whats the point of paying this guy off with a bum knee if the results aren't going to change??

Posted by: alec | March 18, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse