Sunday update

Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan gave his players the day off. I wish I could say the same for beat writers but I'm writing for tomorrow and the blog must be updated.

A few things left over from last night's strange 119-109 home win over the Clippers (who reminded everyone last night that they are still the Clippers):

-Brendan Haywood was a late scratch with what the team called a strained left patella tendon. I never saw or spoke with Brendan but Coach Eddie Jordan said he expected the big man to be back in the lineup tomorrow night against Atlanta. I'll say his for Haywood, he's been very durable over the years.

-Caron Butler didn't have his legs last night but gutted out a 3 of 14 shooting performance to finish with 16 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals and he helped put the Clipps away with a couple of dunks and two free throws in OT. The issue is that Butler's body is feeling it. He had a huge pack of ice wrapped around his left wrist and a big bag of ice wrapped around his left knee after the game.

The wrist could be a problem. He hurt it during the Cleveland game when he landed on it while comihg down after making a layup over Anderson "flop" Varajeo and mentioned it after that game.

-Gilbert Arenas will undergo an MRI on his left knee tomorrow. If everything checks out fine, he'll practice Tuesday and then formulate a plan for a possible return to game action. Last night, when I asked him about the possibility of playing Wednesday in Orlando, he said "Yes." As in, it's possible. However, as with everything else with Gilbert, what he says at a given moment can change.

By Ivan Carter |  March 16, 2008; 2:35 PM ET
Previous: Arenas close? Haywood out | Next: LeBron Responds To DeShawn

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"The guy is obviously experiencing an internal struggle. Do I come back and risk a third knee injury and possibly cost myself a huge pay day this summer? Or, do I play it safe by sitting out but not help my team make a run in a wide-open Eastern Conference?"

You make it sound like there are only two options, Ivan -- rush back, or sit out the rest of the season. How about being patient, starting playing a couple weeks after the doctors give the o.k., get in about 10 games and be ready come playoff time.

Unlike Caron Butler, who is averaging 40 minutes/game since coming back, and wears bags of ice hanging off his body like a rapper wears jewelry.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2008 3:52 PM

" The guy is obviously experiencing an internal struggle. Do I come back and risk a third knee injury and possibly cost myself a huge pay day this summer? Or, do I play it safe by sitting out but not help my team make a run in a wide-open Eastern Conference?"

Can someone give Gilby an OJ 8 ball already?

The team doesn't need Gilby, so Gilby is better off shutting it down for the rest of the season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 4:25 PM

Here's an idea. Perhaps Eddie Jordan could bring Arenas along slowly (NOT like he's bringing Butler along slowly - 41 min & 39 min in his first two games back !!!)....

Arenas could come off the bench, to rest Daniels (31mpg) and Stevenson (32mpg) more. Keep the current rotations with Young coming in in the 2nd quarter... but sub in Arenas for Daniels earlier... then keep Young and Arenas in for extended time for Stevenson.

That would work Arenas into the flow slowly (15-20 minutes a game) - and give Daniels and Stevenson some much needed rest, and time to heal up a bit.

Nothing against Mason, but Arenas can handle a press better, and can bring the ball up the court (something Mason and Young have shown trouble with).

Keeping Young in with Arenas still gives the Wiz someone that can drive to the basket (Young), in case Arenas is still hesitant to do it a lot.

After a week or so (3-4 games) , maybe even rest Daniels or Stevenson for a game or two... although I doubt Stevenson would go for that.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 5:09 PM

You'd rather have Nick Turnover City Young getting minutes at Mason's expense? And I really doubt Arenas will come off the bench.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2008 5:19 PM

JVG is on commentary for the Lakers/Rockets game. He said that the Wizards would be a really dangerous team for any team in the East to play if Gilbert came come back, and be 100% in time for the playoffs.

Posted by: Dude | March 16, 2008 5:22 PM

The way EJ has played people coming off of injuries doesn't seem to balance the risks and rewards. How can anybody come off a serious injury and play 40 minutes (Arenas 1, Butler 2) without incurring a heigthened risk of further injury?

I assume that the responsibility for appropriate player utilization is shared between the medical staff, coach and player.

Only if EJ thought the only way to win in the first round of the playoffs would be to have the home court (4th seed), then his grind it out routine might make some sense. Otherwise, he's incurring too large a risk of sustaining additional injuries, and thereby diminishing the team's chances in the playoffs if further injury occurs.

Does the coaching staff ever discuss these matters amongst themselves?

Posted by: Izman | March 16, 2008 5:29 PM

Posted by: | March 16, 2008 05:19 PM

Arenas better be taking it easy - the best way to do that is coming off the bench. Otherwise it might disrupt the starting unit's cohesiveness. Also, If Eddie thinks of Gil as a second unit guy (at least at first), he'll have less temptation to leave him in too long.

AND YES - If I were Coach, would take Young's mistakes, along with his explosive scoring potential over Mason's steady play - IF he's playing along side an established veteran (like Arenas)... and does NOT have to bring the ball up the court.

The advantages:
We'll see if NY can contribute in the Playoffs.
Arenas won't think he has to take the scoring load for the Second unit.

I understand your trepidation Anon - but we already know what we get from Mason ( a steady pro that can knock down an open three, won't make too many mistakes, and meshes well with the second unit) - I think it's time to give Nick Young some extended run - especially in the last 16 or so games - to see if he's ready to contribute in the Playoffs.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 5:52 PM

It really does seem to be coming together for the Wizards. Haven't heard many knocks on Songaila lately and Young has been getting consistently into double figures. I would like to see Caron and Antawn playing less minutes, but their efforts were obviously needed against the Clippers.

Do we need Gilbert back, heck yes! Does it have to be as soon as Wednesday? Probably not, but if the MRI is clean and he wants to give it a shot in what should be a national TV game, why not?

Right now it looks like a shoot-out for the 5-6-7 slots between us, the Raptors and the Sixers (great coaching job by Mo and super play by Andre Miller and Iggy!). With Arenas playing team ball, Captain Antawn seemingly hitting his peak, Caron kept down to 32 solid minutes or so, and the rest of the team meshing better and better, we could close out the year 43-39 and 5th seed... Another crack at LeBron and the Cavs would be fun, especially after DeShawn's latest remarks about the King!

Posted by: khrabb | March 16, 2008 6:19 PM

There should be no 'internal struggle'. No one who's coming off back to back knee surgeries without playing and proving himself is getting offered max money. If GA doesn't play (and play decently) he can forget about the max. Anyone who thinks that he's gonna try to sit it out and then still ask for a max contract is fooling themselves. The guy is gonna play even if it's for only a couple games or so.

Posted by: mark | March 16, 2008 7:45 PM

Agent zilch needs to stop waffling and just come back and get it done! Right now he's not even in the conversation for top 4 point guards in the league - Nash, Paul, D. Will & Parker are all better because they play through pain and man up when necessary.
The greats don't worry about cheddar they worry about winning. Les Wiz already went out on a limb to sign him when he had proven nothing now that he's been an all-star how about some loyalty and suck it up. Don't think Kobe, AI or DWade would shut it down at the expense of playoff glory do U?

Posted by: el freako | March 16, 2008 7:47 PM

"Nash, Paul, D. Will & Parker are all better because they play through pain and man up when necessary. "

Gilbert had 2 knee surgeries. Think he should have come back the day he got out of the hospital?

Posted by: Bob | March 16, 2008 8:03 PM

Posted by: el freako | March 16, 2008 07:47 PM

Funny, since all three HAVE shut it down at one point or another in their careers. NONE of them have ever had knee surgery. Wade just shut it down this year, so he can heal for next year.

Are you saying that a gimpy Gilbert SHOULD come back early, and risk a THIRD injury to the same knee in one year? For what? So the Wizards can move up one position in the Playoff seeds? OR so he can prove he's a Max player? OR so he can show you that he can "suck it up"?

None of those are reason enough to risk a third injury to the same knee. He should come back only when he is cleared to play, and when he feels comfortable. When he comes back, he should take it easy. Play fewer minutes. Come off the bench. Take it slow.

Arenas could be another John Williams.... One knee injury away from "out of the league".

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 8:19 PM

Kobe"s already playing injured why? because he"s a leader plain and simple he could have opted for surgerey but he has a bigger agenda trying to be the top seed in the western conference Gil's worry is both puzzling and somewhat understanable.If you think you're worth max money then you come back and have an impact, that way you have a solid base to hang your hat on when negotiations start otherwise your leaving yourself open for doubt here and around the league.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 16, 2008 8:22 PM

I hope you're not trying to compare an injured pinkie finger with a lateral meniscus tear in a knee....?

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 8:30 PM

Don't get me wrong, I admire Kobe for playing through the excrutiating pain in his pinkie... Just like I think that LeBron James was courageous for coming back after missing only 5 games with a sprained left index finger...

Boy - those are some tough guys. If there's a war, I want them in the fox hole next to me...!!!

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 8:34 PM

I'd rather Gilbert take his time... and frankly i'm a little annoyed that caron logged so many minutes his first game back and appears to be a walking ice bag. This team is one of the best in the eastern conference when healthy... Our number one priority needs to be a healthy team going into the playoffs

Posted by: Dante | March 16, 2008 8:39 PM

"What a wimp Gilbert Arenas is... He should have limped out of the Hospital after his surgery and "sucked it up" for the team. Cast or no cast.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 08:34 PM "

You're an idiot.

And what about the time Gilby had a bad tummy ache his first season with Les BouleS and missed about 15 games? Or, last season when one of his man boobs hurt (excuse was dislocated clavicle) and he played in the all star game, then had it popped back in place, declared "I'm back," and then couldn't hit the side of a barn with his shot for the rest of the season?

Rookie is not so good when he doesn't have irrelevant stats to back up his weak arguments.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 8:42 PM

bad tummy ache his first season with Les BouleS and missed about 15 games?

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 08:42 PM

OH - you mean the abdominal strain? The same injury that kept Etan Thomas out for 32 games in 2004?

OH- and his "man boob" clavicle problem, He didn't miss any time for. As a matter of fact, he played 12 games before one of the team doctors found the problem.
According to Healthcentral.com, "Dislocation... most often results from a fall onto the shoulder." "... dislocated clavicle results in severe pain and tenderness present over the SC joint. Any movement of the shoulder causes increased pain, as well as weakness in the arm and hand. "

Talk about gutting it out for the team!!!
FOR 12 GAMES!!!

Thanks 88 - I had forgotten how Arenas had courageously come back early from that Abdominal strain.... and that he "sucked it up" and played through pain with his dislocated clavicle.

You made my point for me!

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 9:04 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 08:42 PM

That's because I knew you'd have all the relevant FACTS to back up my assertions...

Thanks again

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 9:11 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 08:42 PM

And although Stats can be made to show almost anything, and I sometimes use Stats to try to make a point, I usually try to mostly use FACTS to make my assertions.

Like:
FACT - Coby Karl is under contract to the Los Angeles Lakers, therefore the Wizards can't sign him.

FACT - Sun Ming Ming sucks. He can't even get a d-League team to sign him.

FACT - I don't gamble. Therefore I'll never lose $7,000 betting on a basketball game.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 9:19 PM

Cost of DirecTV to watch the Wizards - $60

Subscription to the Washington Post to read about the Wizards - $65

Internet access to read Ivan Carter's blog about the Wizards - $39

Posted by: Anonymous | March 16, 2008 9:28 PM

Posted by: khrabb | March 16, 2008 06:19 PM

Absolutely right khrabb. I might even have to rethink my previous assertion that Philly won't be able to catch the Wizards for the 6th spot.... after seeing them beat the Spurs the other night.

I thought for sure the Spurs would win, and put Philly into a tail spin. They're heading into a rough couple of weeks with games against the Spurs, Denver, Orlando , New Jersey, Boston, Chicago, Phoenix and Cleveland. Man - that's a rough couple of weeks!

Andre and Andre are really getting it done!

The Wiz need to win some games NOW (Home against Atlanta, @ Orlando, @ Miami and home against Detroit) before that killer West Coast trip coming up at the end of the month.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 9:43 PM

If the Wiz are even 2-2 this week before the road trip, I would be happy.

If they can go 2-3 on the road trip, it would leave them at .500 for April when they have a better schedule and more games at home.

Posted by: Tim | March 16, 2008 9:50 PM

HOW CAN I GET TICKETS FOR NCAA AT VERIZON?

GIL WILL NOT PLAY FOR US AGAIN!!! COULD WE PROMISE [$$$] HIM NOW WHAT HE WANTS OR SHOULD BE OFFERED NEXT YEAR??

Posted by: CHARLES | March 16, 2008 9:59 PM

So anyone see that Jarvis Hayes dropped 29 points tonight for the Pistons? Interesting.

Posted by: Roman | March 16, 2008 10:00 PM

LMAO!!!

If was about 1 year ago that Les BouleS went on that ill fated west coast road trip sans Caron and thought they were going to go 4-1, but ended up 1-4.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:04 PM

"Reading about a missed Wizard's free throw that costs an idiot $7,000 - Priceless

Posted by: | March 16, 2008 09:28 PM "

LMAO!

Not really, b/c I loved it when Gilby missed! He went through the entire summer thinking about the free throws!

I was never a Gilby fan, so the GM made up story about some stupid bet that Gilby would make free throws is pure lunacy!!!

ASSUMING I OR ANYONE DID MAKE A BET FOR OR AGAINST GILBY MAKING THOSE FREE THROWS, THE ULTIMATE PRICELESS CONCLUSION FOR ME IS THAT IDIOTIC DIE HARD LES BOULES FANS SUFFERED HEARTBREAK ALL SUMMER THAT GILBY CHOKED AND COST THE TEAM!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:09 PM

"Like:

FACT - Sun Ming Ming sucks. He can't even get a d-League team to sign him.

Posted by: Rook | March 16, 2008 09:19 PM "

FACT: You and your stats SUCK!

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:15 PM

Yeah, Hayes did that on national TV too, he was always streaky, today, it was a hot streak. Ever since that busted knee cap 3 years ago at home against the Kings (was at that game, when he dunked it and hurt the knee), he hasn't had the confidence. Interesting to see what happens to Gil, knee injuries are alway the most serious of injuries. It'd be great to see him play through the last year of his contract next year to see if he's fully healed, since EG is apparently set on giving him the max. I just hope he doesn't lose his explosion and just becomes an expensive jump shooter....

Speaking of ex-bullets, I looked up Jared Jeffries, he's only scored double figures ONCE this season, 10 points at the end of January. I would think he'd be padding his stats up there since they suck, but that team is such in disarray... We have Blatche for half the price and for much more potential.

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:15 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:09 PM
--------------------------------

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:19 PM

"I don't see anyone making a bet on whether a player is going to make or hit free throws, but rather if a team's going to win. Remember, if Gil hit the free throws, the Wiz would have been in solid position to win the GAME, which someone might have wagered on. That's how I interpret it...

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:19 PM "

Thanks for logically explaining how ridiculous it was for morons on this blog to accuse me of making a bet that Gilby would make free throws. GM, Rook, Lisa, et all...pure, utter stupidity.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:25 PM

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:19 PM "

---------------------------------

I had a double parlay on that very game: Wiz and over, so I ended up losing, but just some dinner money while I was out west, nowhere near the tune of seven G's...

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:28 PM

"since EG is apparently set on giving him the max. I just hope he doesn't lose his explosion and just becomes an expensive jump shooter....

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:15 PM "

Don't bet on it.

I wouldn't trust EG as far as I could throw him. Ask Larry Hughes.

As for Abe, the final decision maker, I wouldn't trust him even if GM's life depended on it. Just go ask Michael Jordan, Juwan Howard, Rex Chapman, Larry Hughes, etc.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:37 PM

"Maybe the wager was on the game itself?? That would make more sense. Free throws, no way. Game, very possible.

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 10:28 PM "

Too bad Gilby cost you that dinner money, but I don't bet, so I didn't lose. If I had bet and lost money, it would have been worth every cent b/c it would have been priceless.

I think Lebron probably has some secret information on Gilby and whispered it in his ear and then Gilby missed all 3 free throws. Hilarious.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:39 PM

CN = DCMan88. Pathetic.

Posted by: Haiku | March 16, 2008 10:55 PM

Haiku = JackoffShon = A homeless man's crotch

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 11:02 PM

Haiku,
Hell no, I am not him. I called him out plenty of times, read the last post ("Arenas close, Haywood out").

I was saying that the wager was probably on the outcome of the game, not on the missed free throws.

No need to further defend myself, but just read my previous post (on this and the last thread).

I'm for Gilbert Arenas and want him to come back this year ASAP. He'll definitely help the team, there'll be no issues with chemistry and/or continuity. I'm worried about the knee injury, because he's a different player and won't be able to drive to the basket, which was a huge part of his game.

Posted by: CN | March 16, 2008 11:04 PM

It's really sad that the TROLL LIVES on this blog since he hates the team. Truly pathetic....and almost sad.

Claims to like Caron but Caron would be utterly REPELLED by the Troll...just like the rest of us.

Posted by: Trollhater | March 16, 2008 11:14 PM

Toronto loses and we are only a half game behind them. We play Atlanta in the second game of a back to back for them. Toronto plays Utah. Is the number five spot there for the taking? Can the Wizards win a game that they need to win and should win? Can they make it easier on us and blow them out so we don't need last minute heroics?

Posted by: Larry Roberts | March 16, 2008 11:38 PM

Half of the posts on this blog have nothing to do with basketball. Some are funny. Some are kinda dumb (where'd the man boob thing come from?). That $7000 priceless comment was pretty good considering the rumor that's been circulating on this blog for a while.
On a BBall note, During the Rockets/Lakers game, the conversation turned to the Eastern Conference playoffs. The commentator mentioned that while no one is talking about us, if GA comes back and is healthy, we're a team that can scare some people. I fully agree. Whether he's scoring 28 or not, the threat of GA gives us a dimension that we don't have right now. You can't double all three guys. DS oughtta have a 10 second look at all of his threes. Last year he didn't have confidence. This year he should knock them down. That gives us 4 three point threats in our starting lineup. Scoring will not be an issue. As long as we play some semblance of defense, we WILL be hard to beat.

Posted by: mark | March 17, 2008 7:28 AM

4 and done or a lottery pick...hmmm, I take door #2.

Posted by: oddjob | March 17, 2008 7:29 AM

Big day for Arenas, Hope his MRI turns out ok and we'll see him running with the team soon.

I'd agree we may see Eddie working with the Medical staff to monitor his minutes more this time around. Coming off the bench would be a logical way to pull that off for a few games.

Oh 88, remember that post you made about Wizards Bloggers being just like a cat that you could tease with with a lazor pointer? Besides pointing out your intent here on this blog, it made it pretty clear that amoung your many other flaws you also are cruel to animals.

Send me your name and address and I'll mail you some Catnip to keep you occupied in your spare time.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 7:31 AM

Don't bet on it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:37 PM

Good advice!!!

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 8:10 AM

Don't bet on it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:37 PM

Good advice!!!

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 8:10 AM

Here, kitty kitty....

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 8:16 AM

"Guys have told me: 'Don't come back; you have nothing to gain,' " Arenas said. "But I want to play. I want to be out there. At the same time, it's like I'm holding a $100 million lottery ticket and the only way I can lose it is by going out and getting injured again."

So if Arenas comes back to play on Wednesday against Orlando, does that prove that:

A. Arenas is a team player, willing to "suck it up" and help his team? (Like Kobe with his pinkie, and BronBron's finger?)

B. Arenas is such a competitor he can't stand being out?

C. Arenas is insane to risk such a huge payday?

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 8:32 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 16, 2008 10:09 PM

So you were glad that the Wizards lost? No matter how you feel about one player, no fan should be glad that his/her team was eliminated in a close playoff series.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 8:42 AM

Rook, In the end it's probably going to be B.It appeared to me Arenas was really juiced at the Cleveland game, I didn't take it as an act, his body langauge on the sideline looked like a guy that REALLY wanted to be playing.

If the knee is sound and they've properly rehabbed it, doctors always told me you have just as much chance of going out and hurting the other knee as reinjuring the one that had already been operated on.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 8:54 AM

"All kidding aside, if this is how you feel about the team, why do you spend so much time on this blog? You obviously have some agression issues and might want to find something constructive to do instead of attacking people (i.e. homeless man's crotch comment).

Posted by: | March 17, 2008 08:42 AM "

Actually, I really like Les BouleS, but I just don't care for Abe nor do I care for Gilby. I hope ownership changes hands soon.

I'm not into hero worship like a lot of these bloggers here who have fallen for Gilby and think he's the end all be all for this team. Caron's emergence has shown that it isn't.

And, what's funny/surprising is how people jumped on me in the past when I initiated the slightest (and justified) criticism of Gilby. That kind of got the ball rolling.

re: my homeless man comment, please reread and note that I was attacked by JSchon first.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 8:54 AM

"Speaking of my warm cuddly little friend, he'll be checking in right after he's had his morning bowl of warm milk...

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 08:54 AM "

Another example of a dude who can stop from personal attacks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 8:56 AM

"The "Ballyhooed Bet" really does get in your crawl, people in Cleveland are even laughing about as your reading this. And while you're reading, did you notice that little flicker of red light?

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 07:31 AM "

Yet another example.

I think GM is really bothered about the blog rumor about his missus and Lefty Dreisell. GM, dude, don't blame me, blame your wife.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 8:58 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 9:00 AM

Ground Hog Day once again.

Same BS diff day. The same posts seem to keep coming back and back and back.................................all pertaining to Gil and other vulgarities. I awakened to a different day but when I come here to see if there is some good,poisitve banter going on, it is the same thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 9:02 AM

So the Atlanta game now becomes even bigger.

Toronto lost last night, so the Wizards are only 1/2 out of the 5th spot.

Atlanta won, so they're only 1/2 game behind NJ for the final playoff spot.

Toronto plays at Utah tonight.

Cleveland is at Orlando.

By tomorrow, we could be talking about a Wizards team in 5th place, only 3 games behind 4th place Cleveland.

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 9:17 AM

"it's like I'm holding a $100 million lottery ticket and the only way I can lose it is by going out and getting injured again."

Whatever player is talking to GA and telling him to sit out is misleading Gilbert. The fact is, he is not holding a $100 million ticket any longer. That ticket expired when he hurt his knee the second time. When Gilbert asks "What GM is gonna pay the max to a player coming off 3 knee surgeries" he should be asking "What GM is gonna pay the max to a player coming off 2 knee surgeries that hasn't proven that he's healthy again". He NEEDS to prove that he deserves the max at this point. Personally, I think that he'd be better off not opting out this summer and playing under his original contract and taking 12.8 mill next year(unless he comes back soon and is his old self this year). After he proves that he's back and there are no doubts, he can definitely get the max in 2009. If I'm Grunfeld and GA does NOT play this season, no way I offer the max contract. Who in their right mind would do that? Gilbert is a smart guy and a competitive guy. He knows that he needs to prove that he's healthy to get the money he's looking for. Whether he comes back this year is not a matter of if. It's a metter of when. I'd be willing to bet $7000 that he comes back within a couple of weeks or so...and when he does, watch out Eastern Conf. !!

Posted by: mark | March 17, 2008 9:28 AM

4th place isn't out of the question, getting Gil back could be at just the right time to kick this team into overdrive.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 9:35 AM

I'd be willing to bet $7000 ....

Posted by: mark | March 17, 2008 09:28 AM

LOL - that's funny!!

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 9:46 AM

"What's a matter 88, get a hairball or something? You know this whole victomhood thing doesn't fit you very well.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 09:35 AM "

It doesn't fit your wife well either.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 9:55 AM

88, same ole, same ole!

Mark, I'd agree Gil almost has to play to get a Max deal this summer. If he's not right and worried about security he could always wait to opt out.

But, I'd almost bet he'd play too.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 10:08 AM

Gil is a true competitor and knows whats at stake for both the Wiz and his future. If the docs says his knee is 100%, he'll be in the lineup on Wednesday. The Wiz are in prime position to take the 5th seed with CB and GA back healthy, and everyone knows that Gil wants another shot at Cleveland in the playoffs...he also knows that there will be NO max contract from the Wiz or anyone else if he doesn't prove he's healthy (he's played 8 games in the last year.) As far as the minutes that Eddie is playing CB, he needs to cut that back ASAP before he has a different injury from lack of conditioning. Playing 41 and 39 minutes coming off a serious injury is absurb. Wiz need to beat the Hawks tonight before going on the road but not at the expense of one of our franchise players...let's hope that Haywood's injury is truly 'minor' because we need him.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 17, 2008 10:23 AM

"So Gil could by chance get hurt the first night he walks on the court and it could be just bad Karma, or that little doll 88 keeps sticking pins in.

Posted by: GM | March 17, 2008 08:54 AM "

GM, same ole, same ole.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 10:32 AM

The fact is, he is not holding a $100 million ticket any longer. That ticket expired when he hurt his knee the second time. ...he should be asking "What GM is gonna pay the max to a player coming off 2 knee surgeries

Posted by: mark | March 17, 2008 09:28 AM

Sorry Mark, but I gotta disagree. I think that Arenas could get a max contract from someone, if he sat out the rest of the year.

Remember there are a lot of really stupid (and desperate) GM's out there. And EVERY team has at least one player that they signed that was a mistake, so it's not like this is straight up 2+2=4... There are teams out there that would be willing to take that risk...

After all:
Larry Hughes, $12,000,084
Wally Szczerbiak $12,275,000
Ben Wallace $15,500,000
Kwame Brown $9,379,279
Bobby Simmons $9,280,000
Tyson Chandler $10,500,000
Stephon Marbury $19,012,500
Raef LaFrentz $12,440,787
Brian Cardinal $5,850,000

Some GM, at some point decided to pay those guys big bucks.... based on potential future performance...

Posted by: Rook | March 17, 2008 11:02 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 11:07 AM

I don't see how there can be any question. He has to play!!

First if he is medically cleared to play, isn't he contractually obligated to play??

Secondly, I would think to get max money the best thing for him is to come back and show he is ok, and lead his team in the playoffs.

Last, consider how much money the Wizards have paid him this year, 12-13 mil, to not play! Plus how much they paid him last year to miss the playoffs when the team needed him most.

The team has held together and competed, and put themselves in position for the playoffs without him. He owes it to the guys like Jamison, Stevenson, Haywood, and AD that have carried the team in his absence and have played through injuries of their own.

As Ivan said the East is wide open. This team needs him now! He missed the playoffs LAST YEAR! If he can come back, I don't see how there is any debate should he or shouldn't he. We are talking about the playoffs!!

Posted by: Darnell | March 17, 2008 12:50 PM

"Gilbert was a gamble when he signed his first contract with the Wizards. Even with two knee injuries, he is less of a gamble now.

Posted by: | March 17, 2008 11:07 AM "

It's easy to gamble when it's not your money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 17, 2008 3:29 PM