Wiz going global

I wrote about it a couple of weeks back when the word slipped out but today, the NBA confirmed and provided some details on the European tour the Wizards will make next October during the pre-season. They will play the Hornets in Berlin and Barcelona (now that's a road trip a beat man can make!)

Gilbert Arenas, Eddie Jordan and NBA commish David Stern talked about the tour on conference calls today and to me, the most interesting thing to come out of it all was how Jordan and Arenas spoke as if it is a certainty that the three-time all-star will be back next season. Jordan also thinks Antawn Jamison is going to be back as well. As you know, Arenas plans on opting out of his contract this summer and Jamison is set to be an unrestricted free agent.

My belief all along has been that Arenas and Jamison will be back.

Jordan: "Going into next year, we don't think we are going to see a lot of wholesale changes. We have got eight guys under contract and those are our top eight guys outside of Gilbert. We know that we are going to sign Gilbert back and Antawn back and they are high priorities for us. So, we don't look at a wholesale changes in our roster...Our rookies are under contract and Gilbert and Antawn love it here. We have a great relationship, and we knew we were the best team in the Eastern Conference when we were all healthy. We anticipate signing our two priority guys."

Arenas: "I didn't opt out to leave; I was opting out to to sign back."

But will they be able to keep Roger Mason Jr? That's a good question given the way the Quiet Assassin bailed the Wizards out last night here in lovely Seattle. The Wizards were scuffling along, threatening to send some of you off the Key Bridge with a loss to a bad team when Mason came in and started stroking. My favorite 3-ball was either the third or fourth one he made in the fourth. He caught the ball at the top of the key, saw nobody on him (which was amazing in ofitself at that point in the game) and had this look on his face that suggested he wanted to pass.

A Sonics fan sitting behind me yelled the obvious: "Shoot it man, you're hot!" Mason did and it went in. Can't ever remember a fan from the opposing team telling a guy to chuck it up when he's on a roll like that but I guess that's what the threat of losing your team will do. It was a funny moment.

And how about the play of the Lithuanian Legend, Darius Songaila? Last night, he made four of his five shots and scored eight of his 10 points in the fourth quarter. In the month of March, Songaila is averaging 8.8 points on 51.4 percent shooting making it hi best month by far. The rebounding numbers have never been great but he does a lot of little things well such as setting screens, making crisp passes and throwing the periodic loose elbow.

Jordan: "A lot of what Darius does doesn't show up in the box score." Last night it did and the Wizards needed it.

Songaila was even involved in a funny moment in the locker room before last night's game. Rookie Nick Young had just walked to his stall and as he took a seat, he looked at Jamison and said: "Ya'll got 11 more games to be punking me like a rookie, then it stops."

As usual, Nick's decision to express himself verbally backfired. Badly. And the usually quiet Songaila was in on it.

Songaila: "What do you mean? The playoffs count too."
Nick: "No man, it's 82 games that's it."
Jamison, (pouncing): "You have to play in 82 games. You've played in what, 27 games? (actually, he's played in 66 games but whose counting?) That means you're still a rookie. In fact, you're going to be a rookie next year too."

This reasoning befuddled Young for a moment and then, right on cue, DeShawn Stevenson walked over and gave him a half-hearted whack to the back of the head. Ah, life as a rookie.

Oh, and a note only the guys over at www.bulletsforever.com can truly appreciate: Did you know that Jamison is on pace to become only the 8th Bullet/Wizard to average 20 and 10 for a full season? The others: Chris Webber, Elvin Hayes (six times), Walt Bellamy (four times), Moses (twice), Gus Johnson, Jeff Ruland and, wait for it, Pervis Ellison. Never Nervous put up 20 and 10? Yes he did. It was the 1991-92 season. I would not have guessed that in a million years.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 27, 2008; 4:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: KG For MVP? Too Close To Call
Next: Wizards at Kings

Comments

Songaila deserves a ton of credit for saving the team from an embarassing loss. The starting line-up was ice cold in the third; he and Mason were a badly needed boost from the bench.

It's so hard to tell what pieces are missing from a championship calibur team. I mean, it's impossible to tell how good they are without Arenas on the floor. The playoffs will be very interesting. . .

Posted by: rob g in annapolis | March 27, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think actually knew about Pervis. Jeff Ruland is the name on that list that surprises me a bit. I didn't remember him being a big time scorer. Then again, before I moved her in '94, I didn't pay much attention to the Bullets.

Posted by: kalorama | March 27, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Ivan! I always appreciate hearing about the lockerroom banter... stuff you almost never here about and is always quite amusing!

Posted by: Dante | March 27, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Ernie was interviewed on SportsTalk 980 this afternoon and, of course, was asked about Gil's return next season. Ernie said they will do whatever it takes to keep Gil.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Mason deserves a chunk of change. He's been no less than great in his role this year.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Kal,

Ruland was fantastic for a couple of seasons here. You may remember that he teamed with Rick Mahorn to become the original "Beef Brothers". Ruland could do it all: score with either hand; rebound (great at getting position); pass - he was a terrific passer. He also knew how to use his bulk wisely. Very, very smart, heady, Songaila/Sabonis-type player (with much more natural ability than Darius).

I thought we were gonna be set at C and PF for a decade with Ruland and Mahorn. Then Jeff suffered a knee injury and was never the same, Mahorn got traded to the Pistons, and that was that.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 27, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

The Sonics announcers made several comments about an apparent feud between Haywood and Deshawn. They said that Deshawn appeared to be freezing Haywood out of plays and wouldn't pass him the ball. They pointed out that the Wizards' lead evaporated as soon as Deshawn started jacking up shots rather than run the offense.

Have you seen any evidence of this. Is there any reason to believe that Haywood and Deshawn are feuding?

Posted by: nate33 | March 27, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I love this team.

Posted by: Ben | March 27, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

On the 20/10 list, an honorable mention has to go to Jimmy Chones and Dan Roundfield.

Posted by: Janitor | March 27, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I noticed that too. I wouldn't read too much into it. DeShawn was playing selfishly, and Haywood was upset in the head of the moment because he had a mismatch when DeShawn's man (believe it was Durant, could be wrong) switched onto him after the pick and roll. Any big man in the world would be pissed about that as well.

It's not an ongoing thing, methinks.

Posted by: Pradamaster | March 27, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, IC, thanks for the shout! We definitely appreciate it.

Nervous Pervis was dynamite that year. It's just too bad the second best player on the team was the wildly overrated Michael Adams, who is basically the equivalent of T.J. Ford today (and that's not a compliment).

Posted by: Pradamaster | March 27, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I was sitting baseline right by wiz bench and yes, stevenson was heated then quickly calmed down. When mason came in and started going off, stevenson was up waving a towel cheering him on so it was no major beef. I would've mentioned it otherwise.

Posted by: ivan | March 27, 2008 9:15 PM | Report abuse

The '81-82 Bullets with Ruland/Mahorn are my favorite Bullets team - the last time this franchise had a winning record on the road. They finished 43-39 overall. Coming off a season in which Wes retired, E was traded, and Mitch Kupchak walked via FA, that was something.

After so many injuries and after 5 years away from the game, Ruland came back to play for the 76ers - awesome, even if short lived.

Pervis was the 2nd best player on that '91-92 team IMO - Harvey Grant was their best player (or maybe most important) and Riley in NY new it. He tried to get him in RFA but the Bullets, amazingly, matched the offer. Poor Harvey.

Posted by: Shotgun | March 27, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Gotta disagree with you, Shotgun. Never Nervous had a 57.1 true shooting percentage, and put up his numbers while averaging fewer shot attempts per game than both Grant and Adams (and far fewer per 36 minutes than chuckers like LeDell and A.J. English). Harvey, on the other hand, had a nice midrange game, but didn't shoot threes and didn't get to the line, making him a fairly inefficient offensive player.

Harvey definitely is better than Charles Smith, though.

Posted by: Pradamaster | March 27, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I dont see how the Wiz can afford to keep RM next year. And with GA back, and NY needing more minutes next year, not sure where they find RM's miinutes. He would be a nice luxury. Plus I would like to see the Wiz bring the big Russian over, as they desperately need another big body on the boards.

Posted by: oddjob | March 27, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan, Do you get to go on the trip?

Posted by: C.Bell | March 28, 2008 1:11 AM | Report abuse

I remember seeing Pervis Ellison on a shuttle flight to Boston a few years after his big season for the Bullets and wishing him well... people forget that great season and also that he was the number one overall pick when he entered the NBA!

Posted by: khrabb | March 28, 2008 4:34 AM | Report abuse

and to follow up on Keithinator, I believe when Ruland left after getting hurt we traded for an old Moses Malone. Moses was on his reserve tank but still played decently here for a year or so. Did we get Catledge in that deal, too? I know we got someone else from Philly.

Posted by: mark | March 28, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

All this brings back memories when Bernard King was with us, man seeing him play was just awesome even after the injuries. I still remember Chapman and Gugliotta too. Good old Bullets and the Cap Centre. Those were the days.

Posted by: Tu | March 28, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Ahhh, old memories of the beef brothers!

Let's not forgot the scoring and rebounding machine - Charles Jones. I believed he averaged 1 pt and 1 rb a game for 20 years with the bullets...or at least it seem like he was with us for 20 yrs.

Posted by: Wizzz | March 28, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the good old days. Which also reminds me one of the worst draft picks of all time.....Manute Bol and Muggy Bouges, I think on the same draft year. What's the GM (Wes) thinking?

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 28, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Songaila, seems to be finally getting his legs under him after the lowback surgery at the beginning of last year. I think he played all summer with his national team trying to get back in shape.

Like alot of guys that play through the summer, Darius really hit a deadleg period early in the year. He's really starting to make a difference down the stretch. Another one of the tough minded guys that Eddie signed to change to "tude" of this team.

Jeff Ruland, the "beef Brothers", some fun times. Those guys really played over their heads and were a pleasant surprise. The old Bullets really had some bad luck with knees for awhile there. Ruland, Pervis, John Williams, all were very promising players that had careers ruined by bad knees.

I was sitting there just grinning during the 4th quarter comeback in Seattle, I got trashed on here more then once for rooting for Mason and Songaila and commenting on their value to the Wizards. Two Veteran Pro's that have learned how to play the game and are in the NBA because they've worked at their craft. They weren't exactly a couple of bums the other night were they?

In the NBA you always need a couple of Vets like that on the bench. My quess is Grunfeld will make a strong pitch to keep Mason. There can always be a trade that creates some Salary Cap space. And besides, Grunfeld has always said he has no orders to avoid exceeding the Luxury Tax threshold.

There was no one out there that was worth the Wizards exceeding it for this year. But Mason, Jamison, and Arenas are all Abe's kind of guys. Grunfeld should be able to take some of the extra money that he made Abe this year by staying under the LT and use it to bring back three key peices to his team.

The interviews the last couple of days indicate that is exactly what Grunfeld is preparing to do.

Posted by: GM | March 28, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Pervis was great that season. It looked like our search for a center was over, and we had a steal. Pervis had been a disapointment, but after we got him he suddenly looked like he might actually reach his potential as a #1 pick. But then the injuries came, just couldn't stand up to the pounding in the low post. He had the skills of a center, but the body of a forward.

Him and John Williams were 2 Bullets who had a load of talent, but never fulfilled their promise due to injuries unfortunately.

Posted by: Darnell | March 28, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, loved the story about Young. Thanks Ivan that was classic. Love the bit about Nick being "befuddled". I can just imagine the thoughts going through his head... "oh man, I'm gonna have to go through this next season too!!"

Posted by: Darnell | March 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I love this team and cannot wait until we become an upper-eschelon team! There are only a few other teams I actually enjoy watching, but the Wiz Kids are just so likable compared to the rest for some reason. I like watching Golden State for their hustle and the Nuggets bc of Melo and AI and Camby.

Man, I just love having this team in my backyard. When I was a kid, I'm 24 now, the Bullets were so up and down in playoff appearances; and the one I saw, MJ made short work of us, as he did everyone. I'm a hometown fan unlike most people from this area. I loved the team name, it just sounded intimidating, but they were just so hard to root for. And then they changed their name and I was just dumbfounded over that mess. "The wizards!?!?" I said to myself. But after growing up and losing touch with sports for many years due to my true love of skateboarding, I rediscovered this team as well as the Redskins. I remember being at a friend's house and someone rolled over who was wearing a #0 Jersey. I asked who that was and he turned around to show me, ARENAS. I was like, "Who?" He said "Gilbert Arenas" I repeated his name and he said he was gonna turn our franchise around and he did with 3 straight playoff appearances, all-stars, etc. Will there be more?..........................................I can't wait to see.

GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I started watching Bullets on the year of their championship run, so I remember Jeff Ruland well. A good scorer in the paint (that often demanded double team) and a good rebounder (was the second leading rebounder in the league behind Mosses Malone). But he always played below the rim, and had never dunked the basket due to his short arms.

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 28, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Did we get Catledge in that deal, too? I know we got someone else from Philly.

Posted by: mark | March 28, 2008 07:13 AM

What's up Mark. Yes I think you are right. It was Terry "Cadillac" Catledge. I always liked his game. I loved the "Beef Brothers" days and "Thunder and Lighting" along with Gus Williams, Cliffton Roberson and Dan Roundtree. Old Bob Ferry was always signing and trading for "Former All-Stars" past their prime.

Man, those were the good old days........ (I don't miss them at all!!)

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 28, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

What are going to do with our draft picks this year?

I mean, I don't want to push NY or D Mac out... R Mason has made a spot for himself. O Pec is young and improving...

Etan might be traded, but I think he can still be valuable.

Posted by: g | March 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I wish we could trade our pick/picks for cash to resign Roger Mason...I was clamoring over him last year and he should've been playing in jarvis hayes' spot last year.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | March 28, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Ruland / Rick Mahorn are the kind of players that the current team needs. Rebounders, low post scorers and tough on the paint / enforcers.

This year's draft pick is guard heavy so if I am the GM I will go the trade route and sign a veteran FA.....that is if Tyler H don't land in our lap. Besides they already have a bunch of young ones to keep the veterans busy.

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wizzz | March 28, 2008 09:05 AM

The "Secret Weapon"...

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Its all coming back now....when they were called "the Clippers of the East".

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Question, Since Mason has been with the Wiz two years, do the Wizard's have Bird rights on Mason? Or do they have to use the Mid Level Exception to resign him?

Either way it doesn't change the Luxury Tax Implications of resigning him.

Posted by: GM | March 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hibbert is now projected to be available when the Wizards pick in this year's draft. I don't think he is the immediate answer at center, but he could be a project.

I would prefer a PG, though.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Curse of Les BouleS started a long time ago. Thunder and Lightning. Jeff Ruland was good, but couldn't stay healthy with his feet. Rick Mahorn was good, but left and won with Detroit. Oh well, same thing 25 years later.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 28, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ivan - tell the guys they have some fans out here in the West - we'll be rooting for them on this long road trip!!

Posted by: Patty | March 28, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Why did the Washington Post move my baby's column to the bottom of the blog pile?

Posted by: just wondering | March 28, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

You fools still here?

Posted by: That's MISTER Gilby To You | March 28, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards aren't so loaded with proven talent and depth that they can afford to be targeting specific positions. Just take the best player available and go from there.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I believe we are already loaded in the 2 position (DS, RM, NY and possibly CB).

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 28, 2008 09:15 AM

Of course, the worst Bullets/Wizards draft mistake ever . . . oh, wait, there was Kwame Brown . . . well, ONE of the worst mistakes happened in 1985, when the Bullets, picking 12th, drafted Kenny Green, a 6-7 center from Wake Forest, with the idea of making him a small forward. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to occur to anyone at the time that playing with your back to the basket at center involves a very different skill set than facing the hoop at forward, and that maybe they shouldn't use their relatively high first round pick on a guy who projected to a different position than the one he played in college. At least with Kwame, EG was able to make chicken salad out of
chicken---- by dumping him on the Lakers for Caron Butler. Green apparently liked cocaine more than he did basketball, and ended up snorting himself out of the league after a few thoroughly undistinguished seasons. Oh, and the player picked 13th, by the Utah Jazz? Some dude named Karl Malone. He didn't end up doing much in the league, did he? ;)

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Charles Jones may not be a scoring machine (more like "scoring-challenged"), but he is a shot blocking machine. I remembered we once played Houston, he blocked Sampson's shot, but the ball went to "The Dream." No problem, he swatted the dream's ball away too!

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 28, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I believe we are already loaded in the 2 position (DS, RM, NY and possibly CB)."

I believe: Butler is a forward; there's a good chance Mason signs somewhere else; Stevenson, for all he's done well this season, is a limited use journeyman; and Young is a rookie with potential, but potential frequently fails to turn into actuality.

Bottom line, aside from the big 3, the Wizards don't have a player on their roster who's so good that there's not a realistic chance of finding a better one at that position in the draft. If the best player available is a PG, fine. But if the best player available is a C or a SG, then passing on him and drafting a PG of lesser quality because it's a "need" is a questionable draft strategy as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ivan. If Ted Lenois was able to get his hands on the squad for next year, do you think he would run the team like Abe is doing or would it be more like Mark Cuban?

I try to ask this question on your Wednesday blogs, but you guys never answer it so I gave up. Well, I am trying again. Why is this subject never mentioned in any stories or your blogs.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | March 28, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Anon, Roy Hibbert really disappointed me this year. He lost himself a ton of money, too. After he played Oden pretty even last year, he probably would have gone top 10-12. Now, he's lucky to go in the first round. Personally, I think that JT3 had an obligation to showcase Hibberts talents since he helped out the program by coming back. The offense should have been 'force it into Hibbert and watch him shoot if less than 3 men are on him'.
Guys will think twice about coming back to school if they keep seeing the Hibberts of the world lose money. I hope we don't get him. He's a poor man's Calvin Booth....and that's saying something.

Posted by: mark | March 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"I believe: Butler is a forward" - Yes I know but CB sometimes plays SG that is why I put in the word possibly.

" there's a good chance Mason signs somewhere else" - There's also a good chance that he might stay.

"Young is a rookie with potential, but potential frequently fails to turn into actuality" - I don't think he's the next Kwame Brown. I believe that is why they re-sign Andre because of his potential. Plus a player with potential is good than a one without any.

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the player picked 13th, by the Utah Jazz? Some dude named Karl Malone.

And how about the draft the year before -- the immortal one that brought MJ, The Dream, Barkley, Stockton and others into the league? The Bullets grab the transcendent Mel "Dinner Bell" Turpin. There should be no wondering why they stunk for so long.

Posted by: Keithinator | March 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

calvin booth plays defense and is a good shotblocker...hibbert is not...i saw a comparison of hibbert to iglauskas...which if he could be as good as him it would be good...but he doesnt have a pure jumper like him...but he has good post skills

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 01:55 PM

So Kal - if the three best players left are:

Darren Collison 6-1 170 PG UCLA
Blazing fast, great defender. Can shoot the 3-pointer. Slightly undersized (skinny). Not very athletic. Good upside.

OR

Roy Hibbert 7-2 278 C Georgetown
4-years at College level, but last 2 has not improved. What you see is what you get - not much up side. Great size. Very good post moves. Superior interior defender. Played in the GT version of the Princeton offense.

OR

Hasheem Thabeet 7-3 265 C UConn
Tremendous size AND a great athlete. Very good interior defender. Great shot blocker. VERY RAW offensively. A project.

All of whom may still be available at the Wizards pick, who would you select?

I say Collison....

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 01:55 PM

So Kal - if the three best players left are:

Darren Collison 6-1 170 PG UCLA

OR

Roy Hibbert 7-2 278 C Georgetown

OR

Hasheem Thabeet 7-3 265 C UConn

All of whom may still be available at the Wizards pick, who would you select?

I say Collison....

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Ivan..what's your thoughts on the Sam Smith Article in today's Chicago Tribune? I think he's dreamn too much about Agent Zero..and do you think other teams may go after Gilbert...your post today suggest that he'll stay with the Wiz...

Posted by: forkburn | March 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forkburn | March 28, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"All of whom may still be available at the Wizards pick, who would you select?"

Whichever one Grunfeld thinks is the best of the three.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Hibbert will actually be a better player in the NBA than in college. A lot of what people see when they look at his less than stellar numbers has less to do with his failings as a player or athlete and more to do with the way Georgetown played and his role on the team. Rik Smits and Ilguaskas are fair comparisons to what he can do.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: forkburn | March 28, 2008 02:40 PM

Bad trade for the Wizards. You'd essentially be trading Arenas for Heinrich and some scrubs....

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

For bigs, don't forget we still have the rights to Veremeenko, though we haven't heard much about how he's doing.

Posted by: rgz | March 28, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"All of whom may still be available at the Wizards pick, who would you select?"

Whichever one Grunfeld thinks is the best of the three.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 02:49 PM

You have no opinions? So, you post here, but only to point out flaws in other's opinions? NO opinions of your own?

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think I made my opinion quite clear. I don't have any preference on what player the Wizards draft. I think they should focus on the best player available as opposed to drafting for a specific position. That's my opinion, stated clearly and in basic English. if you can't grasp that, well that's not really my concern.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

10/18 = 55% shooting from 3-point range
33/50 = 66% shooting from Free Throw

15 minutes per game
7.1 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.3 apg, .4 Turn overs

1,7/2,6 66%

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Bottom line is they need a big guy moreso than a SG that's why I feel that if the Wiz can't get a good one then they are better off with a trade for a vet."

And what are they going to trade to get him? it's very unlikely that anyone's going to deal a decent big man for anything the Wizards (A) currently have and (B) are willing to part with. That's another reason why drafting the best player available regardless of position makes sense. The better quality player they get, the more likely that they'll be to use him in a trade if there's no spot for him in the Wizards rotation.

If the best player available is a B+ quality SF and the best PG available is a C quality player, you take the higher graded player and find a way to use him, either on the team or in a trade. It's all about getting the best resources to improve the team.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

With a draft strategy like that, the Wizards could end up with a 15-man roster full of Shooting Guards.......

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"And what are they going to trade to get him?" - Wow, there are a LOT of possibilities on this. Do you want me to name all? Maybe not, I have to talk to Mr. Pollin and Mr. Grunfeld first.

"it's very unlikely that anyone's going to deal a decent big man for anything the Wizards (A) currently have and (B) are willing to part with." - WOW again. You seems to be pretty sure on this. I guess you're a buddy buddy of all the GMs of the league.

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Drafting for position is how a team ends up taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan."

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If you can use the 20th pick in a draft to pick a center that's going to stick in the league for 10 years (e.g., Haywood, by the way), that's a good, safe pick.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"And drafting for potential is what team ends up taking Marvin Williams over Chris Paul or Deron Williams."

Who said anything about "drafting for potential"? I said draft the best player available. They're two different things.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Do you want me to name all?"

LOL! I notice you didn't even bother to name one. Go ahead. Let's hear 'em.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

And, strictly speaking every player taken in the draft is drafted on potential, regardless of whether it's done by position or not.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz have plenty of ROOM for players for nexr season, just not much money. Signing Gil for the max and keeping AJ at anywhere near $16M might require dropping D-Mac and RM just to stay under the luxury tax. (11 man roster including the poet?)
Based on the stats quoted Veremeenko doesn't look like help - 15 minutes doesn't sound like a starter in Russia.
If the Wiz are considering a full 15 player roster next year, probably D-Mac and RM could be signed at good value figures.
Again, I say that I'm glad the poet is well, but he's a money sink. AB has potential, can Eddie bring it out? OP has lived near the end of the bench, is it a lack of training camp?

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"I said draft the best player available" - Isn't the Hawks are still being castigated for not taking CP or DW (or even Felton) becuase of a need for PG and choosing the BEST PLAYER which is Marvin.

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

"LOL! I notice you didn't even bother to name one. Go ahead. Let's hear 'em"

You brought up the trade, so you name one. LOL.

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"The one thing Hibbert has in his favor is this: Name the last good Georgetown center who didn't have a 10 year NBA career."

True in theory. The difference is that this is a different Georgetown and Hibbert is a different kind of C. The one thing all of those other guys had in common was toughness. That's why the B and C listers (e.g., Don Reid, Othella Harrington) were able to hang around as long as they did. They made up for what they lacked in size and or skill with sheer toughness and hustle. But the Hoyas don't play the same way they did under Big John. Hibbert is a skill player. If his skill turns out not to be up to NBA standards, he's sunk. (Not that I think his skills aren't up to snuff. I'm just saying his road to success is going to have to be different than those other guys.)

Speaking of G-Town and toughness, if Ewing Jr. is still on the board when the Wiz's second round pick comes up, they should give him a serious look.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 03:53 PM

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 03:53 PM

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't the Hawks are still being castigated for not taking CP or DW (or even Felton) becuase of a need for PG and choosing the BEST PLAYER which is Marvin."

Uh... no. They're being castigated for not taking the best player, which was Williams or Paul. No one, other than the Hawks, thought Marvin Williams was a better player than Deron Williams or Paul then, and certainly no one, other than you apparently, thinks that now.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"EXACTLY why I mentioned that if the Wiz won't get a "sure" player that they are better of trading the pick for a veteran."

There are very few sure things in the draft at any position. And they can't just trade a pick for a veteran player. Salaries have to match, which means they have to include players in the trade. And, as I noted, the Wiz are short on players (aside from the big 3) who will make desirable trade bait for a rotation quality C.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The only tradeable asset we had was Antawn Jamison and his expiring contract. Barring a sign and trade of Arenas there aren't too many pieces here to deal.

Billy Knight was a fool and was out of his mind when he took Marvin Williams over the two guards and I know of no NBA analyst who thought that was a good idea at the time.

Is there any chance Kevin Love could fall to the Wizards? Wouldn't that be great?

Posted by: George Templeton | March 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the trade Gil camp assuming that he is not going to a team player or play defense. I'd prefer Elton Brand, but i dont see how Hinrich and Gooden or Noah wouldnt help us. Dont know how AD would feel coming off the bench behind Hinrich though.

After that last column on Anndray, i am ready to write him off (with the addition of Gooden or Noah). He seems little more than Kwame 2.0 without the #1 draft pick pressure.

The #17 pick results in the Haywoods and Juan Dixons of the world. Not a game changer. Who cares if its a C or a PG. Dude will be on the IR list most of the year anyway.

Posted by: Me | March 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"No one, other than the Hawks, thought Marvin Williams was a better player than Deron Williams or Paul then"

I guess you can tell that to all the ESPN, SI and other guru's who think they know everything (like you). From what I remember they were even projecting him as a potential numbero uno pick.

Posted by: Dave | March 28, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Salaries have to match, which means they have to include players in the trade. And, as I noted, the Wiz are short on players (aside from the big 3) who will make desirable trade bait for a rotation quality C."

And I guess you're reading the minds of the GMs...WOW

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm just reading the part of the collective bargaining agreement that says teams over the cap can't trade picks for players without matching salaries.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

BTW, still waiting for that list of Wizards players (other than the big 3) that teams will be so willing to trade rotation quality C's for. Doesn't have to be in any particular order, but it should also include the corresponding list of Cs that these other teams would be willing to trade. Just go ahead and post that up when you've got it ready.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah. ... WOW.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see the Wizards draft Hibbert. He's tougher than people give him credit, has great post skills, and knows how to pass the ball. He won't be a dominant NBA player by any measure but if he can stay healthy he could have a long, productive career as an adequate starter or good backup. How 'bout a Haywood/Hibbert rotation for the next handful of years?

And if the Wiz keep it local by picking up Sean Singletary in the 2nd, then we have a much better small-big combo than bogues/bol many years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Do you want me to name all?"

LOL! I notice you didn't even bother to name one. Go ahead. Let's hear 'em.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 03:52 PM

What.... you want HIS opinion.... but you don't want to give YOURS?!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big hometown fan, but people here take it too far when they want the wiz to draft every local or semi-local prospect.

Look, it ain't a charity.

You have seen Hibbert play a lot cause he is local, and he comes out seeming pretty average. A big tall guy with not a lot of everything. If we draft him, i hope it is because he is the best player in the draft at that time.

There are a lot of good players you haven't seen, cause they aren't local.

Posted by: g | March 28, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 04:24 PM

"Marvin Williams, one of three University of North Carolina players expected to go in the first round of the NBA Draft, is surrounded by reporters during the draft press conference, Monday, June 27, 2005 in New York. Williams, of Bremerton, Washington, is projected as one of the top two picks in the NBA Draft to be held tomorrow, June 28, 2005, in New York."(AP dated 06/27/2005)

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

He was projected as a top two pick because the Hawks had the number two pick and word was out they were going to take him. That still doesn't prove that anyone other than the Hawks thought he was a better player than Deron Williams or Chris Paul.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I would side with Kal on this.

Project to be and should be are two different ideas.

Draft analysts probably knew who the teams were leaning towards. But it doesn't mean they agreed with the select.

At the end of the day this line of discussion is a bit pointless. I would say that Marvin Williams isn't as good as CP3, but he's not really that bad yet either. He's young. Point is, everyone gets drafted on potential.

If Atlanta knew 100% could see into the future maybe they would have drafted CP3, but nobody absolutely knows how a pick is going to pan out. There are so few sure things, and most of those aren't the true greats. They are the true average.

BACK to topic at hand. I forgot we had 2 slots (is it 2.5) open for incoming players. I think we can sign our rookies and stay in the cap (some rule about this)... but I am curious if they will get rid of one if they think bringing Veer over is a good idea. My guess is they will let Veer marinate for another year, but it is interesting to think about how this will all play out.

Personally, I don't see a lot of room for change unless something drastic happens.

TOTT

Posted by: g | March 28, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Man, I can't wait to see who we draft this year. Off-topic, I know, but I'd be in heavin if we could run away with a D.J. Augustine, Tyler Smith, or even DeAndre Jordan. If we can get one of those players as a backup, they could slowly develop and become really good.

Eh, not spam or anything, but I post on this forum called www.nbadimensions.net; sadly, there's so few Wizards fans down there which totally stinks because we're one of the best teams in the league (if healthy). All I ask is for anyone who reads this to just check out the site, and if they like it, then please join. It's a greatly regulated place with all types of discussion going on, and we have some great posters.

(P.S. My username on the site is "Bueno")

Posted by: TDAV | March 28, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Look, it ain't a charity.

There are a lot of good players you haven't seen, cause they aren't local.

Posted by: g | March 28, 2008 05:55 PM

Actually g, and this is my OPINION, I think that Hibbert will be the best Center available when the Wizards pick... Brook Lopez and DeAndre Jordan will be long gone by the time it gets around to the Wiz.

Hasheem Thrabeet is too raw... a real project. That would be a bad pick (see Peter John Ramos)...

I think the Wizards need to draft a PG or a Center. That is where they are thin. They've got a lot of Shooting Guards (especially if you count Arenas), and 6 quality Forwards.

Drafting ANOTHER Forward, just because he rates out a couple of points higher on someone's scale, doesn't make sense....

If they pick a Point Guard, they'll have someone they can groom as the backup for when Daniels is no longer servicable. If they pick a Center, they have the same option for Haywood.

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"I think we can sign our rookies and stay in the cap (some rule about this)"

Not quite. Teams are allowed to go over the cap to sign draft picks, but they'll still be over the cap. And it's a moot point for the Wizards, since they're already way over the cap regardless. The issue for them is the luxury tax, and there's no break there for signing draft picks. Any draft pick they sign will put them over the tax unless they get rid of someone already on the roster. Part of that problem may be addressed if Mason signs somewhere else.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or will Andray Blatche develop into the 2nd coming of Brad Miller but more athletic? Keep in mind that Brad was an undrafted free agent signee, so even less was expected of him than that of Blatche.

I think he'll be a very similar player. I could see him getting 16/12/3 (pts/reb/ast) as a starter in his peak and a few more years of averaging a double double. Already a great passing big man, I think Blatche has the potential to be as good of a passing big as Miller. Shooting wise, 'Dray is solid from mid range, good on post ups (for a good portion of the time), but streaky from the outside. I'm glad to see he stopped taking alot this year (last two years he took 4x as many combined as he did this year), as he typically doesn't hit alot of them.

Posted by: TDAV | March 28, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: g | March 28, 2008 06:10 PM

g... The rule is that the Wizards can go over the Salary Cap to sign their draft picks.... but the salaries still count towards the Luxury Tax.

As for Veremeenko, he is under some kind of contract to the Russian team. I've read somewhere that he wants to come over to the US and play in the NBA for the Wizards, but his Russian team ownes his rights.... I think it's another Navarro type deal.. Ernie may leave him in Russia for another year, especially since , from what I've read, his game is similar to Pech.

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Blatche is just as likely to become the second coming of Eddie Griffin or Darius Miles as Brad Miller. He's got tons of potential and physical talent, but with every game there continues to be real questions about his mental focus and attitude. It's too early to say either way.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

kalorama has proclaimed it!!! It's too early to tell about Blatche...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

AB is probably just in the wrong system that doesn't take advantage of his abilities. I'd bet he'd thrive in a west coast type of offense with a pass first guard.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 28, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

A couple of clarifications on the old Bullets: Bob Ferry was GM during the '80s, not Wes Unseld. He drafted Bogues and Manute. Bol was just a second round pick so really wasn't a bad pick. The Bullets did draft Mel Turpin but immediately traded him to Cleveland for Cliff Robinson. Similar to them drafting Devin Harris, but trading him for Antawn. Plus the '80s Bullets were mediocre, not terrible. They usually won between 35 and 40 games and made the playoffs more years than not.

Posted by: hotplate | March 28, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

"That still doesn't prove that anyone other than the Hawks thought he was a better player than Deron Williams or Chris Paul.

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 06:08 PM

So I guess your smart brain already told you that both CP and Deron were far more better players.

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, still waiting for that list of Wizards players (other than the big 3) that teams will be so willing to trade rotation quality C's for."

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche is just as likely to become the second coming of Eddie Griffin or Darius Miles as Brad Miller."

LOL, did you see that in your dreams. LOL, okay Nostradamus can you tell us more

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"When did I mentioned about Cs. I just said that I don't want them drafting another guard. Get your fact straight."

I got your straight facts for you ...

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 02:22 PM

You done now, genius?

(Seriously, I know better than to expect you to bother to read other people's post before *ahem* "responding," but is it too much to ask that you at least read your own? Not that I can really blame you for not wanting to subject yourself to that kind of torture.)

Posted by: kalorama | March 28, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for that list, BTW. It can be alphabetical, by age, by height. However you want to arrange it.

Posted by: kalorama | March 29, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice comeback win tonight didn't see that coming.

Thoughts re: the draft.

I think if there is only a moderate ratings difference then yes, draft your needs, but if something is sticking out as being a surprise or higher upside, I'm fine with drafting a surplus of talent at a position. If nothing else it makes for better trade bait. A higher value at any position is worth more in the trade market. Odds are your surplus is someone else's need. Worst case scenario you are deep.

That is my OPINION. Not sure why we are caps on that, but seems to be the trend. I typically assume that what you write is your opinion.

DC Man, you know I think you might have a point about Andre, but it might be an excuse for him too. I know you love to point out when others are giving excuses. So I will call you out on this. Wrong system for AD? Perhaps, although I doubt it this year. If he was going to have a good opportunity to make his case in any system this would have been a great time. The questions about his mental / focus can't really be relegated to the system he is playing in. Could he be better in a system that was tailored to his needs? Sure. Who couldn't, but is there a team in the league that would make AB a focal point of their offense and still make the playoffs? Or by your favorite metric, go deep and win a title? Cough. I doubt.

Though that is all to say, when you consider how much angst Gilbert's lake of maturity seems to cause you I wonder how long you will turn a blind eye towards AB's?

And this season with out Gilbert / Etan has meant more time than I expected for Andre... We shall see, but he is starting to sketch me out. I'm just looking for some consistent effort.

Also, I am mildly amused by AB's wishful projection. Before the season peeps had AB as a young Kevin Garnett, now he is the second coming of Brad Miller, at this rate he is going to be the next Kevin Duckworth by 2009. He needs to really figure out why he wants to play pro-ball. If it's for the checks, Kwame is holding down a bench for him in memphis. I woulda given him for Gasol... this year.

PROVE ME WRONG ANDRE, please prove me wrong. That is all I ask.

Posted by: g | March 29, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

I got your straight facts for you ...

Posted by: Dave, | March 28, 2008 02:22 PM

You done now, genius?

Kal - Okay so were do I mentioned a C....can a big men be a Forward ...LOL you're such a genius....LOL

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

By the way Kal the last post is mine...in case your big brain dont get it.

Posted by: Dave, | March 29, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

....and I'm also waiting for your list of draftee for the SG position.

Posted by: Dave, | March 29, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Nice try, but I never said the Wizards should draft a SG. I said they should draft the best player, regardless of position.

"Okay so were do I mentioned a C....can a big men be a Forward"

WOW ... you're even sadder than I thought.

Posted by: kalorama | March 29, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

About that list ... It doesn't even have to be in English (which, given your obvious trouble with the language, might work in your favor).

Posted by: kalorama | March 29, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"So ... that's your *ahem* response? Seriously? That "big man" doesn't mean C? You had 12 hours to think of way to squirm out of it, and that's the best you can do?"

LOL And you're saying a big men are a guard...nice try. Not like you I have a life and don't spend 24 hours in this blog waiting for somebody to reply...WOW

NOW who's the saddest person here...tell me.

Posted by: Dave, | March 30, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"About that list ... It doesn't even have to be in English (which, given your obvious trouble with the language, might work in your favor)"

And your excellent grasp of the English language doesn't make you a wise one either......actually it makes you brainless even more. Where's your list?

Posted by: Dave, | March 30, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse