Wizards at Raptors

As I write this, snow is falling at a fast rate outside of my hotel room window. Word is that a pretty big one is coming. It will be interesting to see whether the team plane has any issues getting out of here after tonight's game against the Raptors. The Wiz host Charlotte tomorrow night.

The Wizards will not see Toronto all-star Chris Bosh, who will miss his third straight game with knee soreness. Yesterday, Raps president Bryan Colangelo said the team has put "no timetable" on his return. Does that sound familiar? Also, second-year C Andrea Bargnani is day-to-day after taking an elbow to the face in Miami the other night (I thought the guy didn't like contact?)

I'll provide any updates when I get to the Air Canada Centre later.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 7, 2008; 3:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Caron, Thursday update
Next: Solid win

Comments

Here's to Ivan making snow wizards and the Bullets reconciling that last blowout in Air Canada.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | March 7, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Why do beat writers always insist on mentioning "there is no timetable." Do you guys actually think your readers care about "timetables." Honestly, we don't.

Posted by: Barno | March 7, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't readers want to know when a player is scheduled to return?

Posted by: What? | March 7, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I care about time tables...and when there isn't one, that is normally a very bad sign

Posted by: Ben | March 7, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Lets see who cares about timetables:
- Fans, we like watching the games and care about who is playing
- Gamblers, (which some fans) who is out affects betting down the road
- Fantasy players, (who can be both gamblers and fans alike) who is out affects starting line ups, trades, and match ups

Posted by: Crabhands | March 7, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's see how the Raptors do without their best player Bosh and possibly another starter (Bargnani). Something tells me there may be payback from the blowout last time in Toronto!!!

Ivan - do you see Toronto sinking out of the 5th seed if Bosh is out for an extended period?

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 7, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"I thought the guy didn't like contact"

--- I guess u like a lot of elbow on ur face that knocked u to the floor?

Posted by: Very Yellow Very Violent | March 7, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

some really weird posts so far..

who doesn't like timetables? kind of a critical piece of information right?

as far as tonight goes... i hope we can pull a victory here. although to be honest, what would you guys rather want: 6-seed and play the Magic, or 5-seed and play the Cavs?

Personally I'd rather face the magic. Even though they have the dwight howard who we cant match up with, its still better than playing lebron, in my opinion.

Posted by: andy | March 7, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

as long as we don't come out and fall flat on our asses against a diminished toronto team (read: cleveland after trade)

we should have some favorable match ups at forward though.

perimeter defense tonight? that'd be nice...

another question. don't get me wrong, i love daniels, but why is he still taking 18+ foot jumpers. i don't think i've seen him make one in like 2+ years.

i'd much rather face clev and orlando in the playoffs too. orlando is young, they will be an elite team, possibly, in a couple of years. as we saw monday night, orlando has that pick & roll all day. howard is just too dominant, and after the slam dunk contest, he might never have to worry about getting in foul trouble again. not to mention all the 3 point shooters in orlando. i think a full strength wiz can beat clev easy though. we almost have the past 2 years, with none of our clutch players. just my opinion.

Posted by: el duderino | March 7, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

This is a chance for the Wiz to get to five hundred Raptors tonite Bobcats next,HEY ROB P stop dissing my coach EJ NO ONE and I mean NO ONE would have this team at or near five hundred given their injuries yes they have off nights just like any other NBA squad but given the circumstances EJ does a great job. It would be nice if GA would make a brief appearance tommorow against the CATS I mean mentally speaking it might give him a real shot of confidence since it was this team that he suffered the injury against.Everyone has to show up tonight and saturday for this team to win both games,to say we miss Caron is the no brainer of the year get well "bro".

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 7, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

el duderino:

You must have a pretty liberal definition of "almost" if you call getting swept in 4 games almost beating a team.

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"this is a chance for the Wiz to get to five hundred"

Not unless they're playing a double-header. The Wiz are two games under (29-31).

Posted by: burke | March 7, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

My bad, nevermind. I got lost in your stream of consciousness there and overlooked that you were including the next game against the Bobcats.

Posted by: burke | March 7, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: andy | March 7, 2008 04:23 PM

I'd rather the Wizards play the Cavs. Howard is just too much for Haywood inside... But we've been able to match up pretty well against the Cavaliers. At least the games have been close (except that game after the trade).

I like the Wizards chances if they have all their guns back (Arenas & Butler) - otherwise, it does not matter who they play - it'll be a 4 game sweep and out of the playoffs again.

Posted by: Rook | March 7, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you're kidding, right? You have to be. I think fans want to know when a player is going to be playing again.

Posted by: Colin | March 7, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

If the entire Wiz team is healthy, I'd rather have the Magic. Howard's a load inside, but he's not yet the kind of player who can make teams pay for taking the ball out of his hands the way James can. Also, the Magic are a much less playoff tested team than the Cavs, more likely to fold under playoff pressure, and aren't likely to be as good defensively in a slower, half court playoff game as Cleveland.

If the team's not healthy, it doesn't much matter who they play.

Posted by: kalorama | March 7, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Another reason I'd like to see the Wizards play the Cavaliers - is to have the chance to get that monkey off their backs...

Also, it would be sweet to bounce King LeTravel in the first round.

Posted by: Rook | March 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey....Kalorama made the Post today...Best Reader Post on Wizards Insider.

Posted by: ? | March 7, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I have been looking at the schedules, we have a slightly easier run-in than the Raptors, assuming CB and GA are back and impactful in the regular season we could, in theory, pass the Raptors in the conference standings (I am an optimist, i know) - or are we better off with the 6th slot ... thoughts?

Posted by: Conor | March 7, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

this is not pretty, but it's a winable game for us

Posted by: Conor | March 7, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I'll chip in some cash, maybe we could buy a bucket in this 3rd quarter :(

Posted by: Conor | March 7, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

just checking the game online while at work...can anybody tell what is going on the third quarter? they're being outscored 9-24, and the only starter in is DeShawn...I would say that EJ is trying to rest AJ and the rest for the fourth, but this is EJ we're talking about here. what is going on?

Posted by: babbtong | March 7, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

AJ has a sore back - Toronto got hot and Wiz went to sleep, not much else to tell babbtong

Posted by: Conor | March 7, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hdawg | March 7, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Phew - gutted that one out, valuable W tonight!!!

Posted by: Conor | March 7, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Heckuva win by Les BouleS, although the true warrior had a bad shooting night. Not sure why BTH had only 21 minutes tho.

Think of it this way, the more Les BouleS win, the longer Caron can stay out and get healthy for Les BouleS next season. That's what true Les BouleS fans have to look forward to.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

AJ is the man. His leadership more than anything got the Wiz the win this time. I do not understand why we have to take a 3 instead of driving in the lane for the last shot to win it. We dont need three points, we only need one for the win. Everyone wants to get on SportsCenter...

Posted by: oddjob | March 7, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Let's say you are an NBA player. Game tied, 8 seconds left, ball in your hands at half court. You:

(a) quickly dribble forward to get the offense started;
(b) start a penetrating dribble so you can drive to the basket or kick it out if you are doubled;
(c) advance the ball so you can throw a post entry pass; or
(d) patiently stand at halfcourt like you are waiting for a bus until there is 4 seconds left, and then dribble in to set up your fadeaway 3 pointer.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 7, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris | March 7, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

"I agree with you DCMan, the more the team wins, the healthier the guys like Arenas, Butler, and Etan can get for the post-season. Most teams coast through the regular season to get in shape for the post-season. Phil Jackson always did that with Shaq when they were in LA together. The regular season is about positioning for the next season, when 16 teams strive for the ring.

Posted by: Chris | March 7, 2008 10:32 PM "

Thanks.

I see your point of view, but seriously, I'm only concerned about Caron and his future with this organization.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 7, 2008 10:36 PM"
------------------------------

Obviously CB3 is very important to the team, but I think Jamison is just as important. I know Jamison's 32 (or so), but the way he's transformed into a leader since he's been here. I remember when he came here, one of the knocks on Jamison was that he was too quiet to be a veteran leader, but now look at him.

The way Jamison and Butler (et al) pulled assigned the young guys and basically said "Knock that stupid s**t off! Move your lockers away from each other and next to me, CB3, Haywood, etc."

I don't think we could afford to lose Jamison this off season because of the message it would send to guys in the locker room (as well as potential free agents coming here) who obviously respect the hell out of Jamison. We can't just cut him loose and say "Thanks for turning this team around with your on-court abilities, leadership, work ethic, but you we can't pay you the 10% extra you are looking for.

Ivan even said countless times how Jamison was always on guys like Blatche for not having a proper pre-game mentality (Ivan mentioned that Blatche would eat nachos before the game and catch the 2nd bus over, while Jamison would be on the first bus over and would lift weights instead of munching on nachos).

I think the young guys (D-Mac, Pesh, Blatche, N Young) and the goofy ones (N Young again, Gil) can learn to transform themselves into serious players. Remember, 'Tawn was not really known for being a leader before he came here, he turned into one here. That's what we can hope for the other guys to do, including Gil, if he re-signs here.

Butler is already a leader and doing everything it takes, no doubt, but he'll be back for 3 more seasons after this. We need to make sure Jamison is back too, he's too important to the team...

Posted by: Chris | March 7, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

you know its soon going to be too late for GA to come back and be the starting pt guard for this team. whats he going to do, come back for the last 10 games and be the savior? dont think so. then again, GA would have probably made that shot that NY missed at the end of regulation...

Posted by: oddjob | March 7, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

OddJob,
I think they just want Gil and Caron to get a dozen or so games under their belt before the playoffs, to get their legs back. Also, it'll be important for Gil to learn the new defensive scheme and to play with these guys again, since it's been a year (minus the 8 games earlier this season). I don't see how having these two guys will hurt, there's no chemistry issues, and guys like Songalia, Blatche, and AD can go back to the bench and play hard in the spurts they're in the game.

I don't see the point of Etan coming back until next year when he would be "fully healthy." Etan is not going to start on this team, and he would be taking more minutes that Haywood's not seeing (21 mins tonight in a 53 min game???), plus Blatche has been very serviceable as the back-up center. Typically, it doesn't hurt to have more bodies, but Jordan might be very compelled to give Etan 15-20 mins a game, which would throw the Center/PF rotation out of wack...

Posted by: Chris | March 7, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Great Win at road tonight! That means we're due to loss to the bobcats and play with no effort at home....my bad, but it happens everytime. Wasn't able to watch the game and BTH just got 12 points in only 21 minutes....Did he really played that bad?

Posted by: Fortune Teller | March 7, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

"The most important thing is them knowing you trust them out there," Jamison said. "To have Nick out there and let him know he's playing well and when [Dominic McGuire] comes in hustling. ... [Blatche] did a great job coming in and playing defensively ... and offensively he did a good job. Mason came in and did a good job. And DeShawn [Stevenson] has been doing it all year."

Say no more. Antawn is this team right now.

Posted by: Thickman | March 8, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

where wash Haywood. foul trouble? or just poor coaching. He was playing well.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 6:28 AM | Report abuse

From Ivan's story this morning:

"The Wizards inbounded the ball with 11 seconds to play and Stevenson worked the clock with a few dribbles and then passed to Young, who got a decent look at a potential game-winner."

Has Ivan ever written a more inaccurate statement? He makes it sound like the Wizards ran a good play.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Why all the fuss about NY taking the final shot in regulation how's he gonna learn how to respond in crunch time if he doesn't gain confidence better now then in the playoffs,what's with some of you and criticizing EJ for some of his moves I really question some of you and your knowledge of the game, who has gotten more out of their team then EJ look around the league and see whats really going on before you put your foot in your pie hole!!!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | March 8, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Great win last night. We usually lose those types of games. I haear the analyst talking after the game and the reason they gave the ball to Nick was because they knew he could hit it. As the analysts stated,"Michael Jordan missed a few game winners early in his career but is only remembered for the ones being hit" With that being said, I believe Nick has it in him to hit those big shots and he will. The confidence that the coaching staff has in his ability is big for Nick. Nick stated after the game that he didn't believe he would get the last shot and thuse wasn't fully prepared but that next time he will keep in mind that he may be called on to take the last shot and be "menatally prepared for it" Also, to those trade Jamison posters, when are you going to admit that Jamison is THE true leader of this team and inspires ALL of the players. The things he contribute to the Wiz can't always be put on paper in terms of X's and O's. I hope they retain him as well as Gil next year. Anyway.........my two cents. GREAT GAME Jamison and the BENCH MOB. A win is a win!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

EJ has brought this criticsm on himself because of his previous immature and childish ways of dealing with BH and others. Yes EJ is coaching better this year than any previous years...finally. He still lacks real leadership skills and occasionally slips back into a mindset that results in actions that are spiteful and resentful. Until he finds a way to eliminate these issues of his own, he will never be a top flight NBA coach.

Posted by: oddjob | March 8, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

No problem with Nick Young taking the final shot in regulation. Big problem with the shot he took. That's really the best shot the Wizards could get? Ridiculous.

Posted by: Red | March 8, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM, you can believe what you want to believe. You must be EJ's wife or something. NO ONE could have the team near .500 at this point? NO ONE? Well, if a career 44% winning percentage coach can, I'm sure there are others out there that can too!

Damn, I only had good things to say about the teams effort and win before I read that!

"Once again, Eddie Jordan's decisions down the stretch are questionable. With the game tied, would you give the ball to a rookie rather than give it to your best player Jamison or to your best finisher, Stevenson? It makes no sense. I know Young made a few shots in the fourth quarter but he's still a rookie and a streaky shooter. Jordan makes these questionable calls all the time down the stretch." - hdawg

I agree. But it was a good overall game. I was wondering why just before that after we called a timeout we could not even inbound the ball??? You kidding me??? Not only that whatever EJ called all the players broke for the baseline and not toward to ball until it was too late. Very strange play coming out of a timeout!

BH is slipping slipping slipping! He played 21 mins bc he is not playing as well!!! I told you all!

We need Etan back if possible bc of Dwight Howard!

Posted by: Rob P | March 8, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Nick said after the game he was not expecting to take the shot - was surprised when Deshawn passed it to him and did the best he could.

You people NEVER give up with the bashing.

Posted by: ? | March 8, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Jamison though is not really a last second create his own shot kind of player. I keep wondering why a real play that involves some screens and a couple of passes is never called. Let someone who is open after that shoot! Our last second shots consist of dribble dribble dribble launch!

Posted by: Rob P | March 8, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

TO ROB P: NO I am not EJ's wife, that would be Mrs. Jordan yes I am a unabashed supporter of EJ because I've been a fan of this team since the days of Earl Monroe,Jack Marin,Gus Johnson, and others your statement that other coaches would have them near (500) is crazy most coaches would have thrown in the towel given the injuries to the two stars and no help from the GM(EG) or the owner(AP) as the trade deadline approached.He has worked with a short bench all year yet they continue to stay in the playoff hunt, last night while watching the NBA network it was the consensus of the panel and host that EJ deserved consideration for COACH OF THE YEAR given the circumstances surrounding this team. Last night, if you were the Raptors who would you expect to take the last shot? AJ thats who, maybe just maybe EJ was trying to throw something different at them maybe surprise them!!!!!!!! and finally when a coach draws up a play in the huddle its up to players to execute!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag@AOL.COM | March 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The people who do not understand why haywood only got 21 minutes

a. didn't watch the game
b. have no clue in regards to b-ball.

Maybe this picture will give you a clue.

He can not guard 3 point range perimeter players. A area in which Bargnani trives.

Posted by: pg posse | March 8, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

We need Etan back if possible bc of Dwight Howard!

Posted by: Rob P | March 8, 2008 09:13 AM

Rob P. - did you even watch the game?

When Toronto started playing Andrea Bargnani at Center in the Second Half, Haywood could not keep up with him. Bargnani has a good 3-point shot, AND can drive. Blatche was the better option to play the Center position last night.

THAT's the only reason Haywood only played 21 minutes. The Coach made a decision to play "quick ball". Sometimes, when an opponent is killing you, you have to change things up. That's called good coaching.

Anyone who actually watched the game knows that Haywood played very well when he was in the game; He had 12 points (on 4-5 shooting) made all 4 of his free throws (AGAIN!), had 5 Rebounds and 3 Blocked shots. All in a very efficient 21 minutes of play.

And I can't fault Jordan for playing Blatche more in the Second Half either. He had some key plays, especially in Overtime (blocking a shot, passing, altering shots) that led to the Wizards victory.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

i like the fact that nick young gets the final shot...i think in fact that it should be more often...without gil...he is easily the best shot creator on the team...no one else can create a shot for himself like young has been able to do...now i do agree he could have taken a much better shot...but if it goes in thats not what we say...i mean i dont rem. anyone criticizing gil when he madet those 3pt shots to win the game...if he missed i'm sure u guys woulda got on him...

Posted by: jjmat84 | March 8, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red | March 8, 2008 08:50 AM

why?
That's Nick's shot. Jab step, creates separation, fade away jumper. That's what he does! Hit pet move. And so far, no one has shown that they can defend it; he consistantly gets open shots with that move.

The shot Nick took last night is the same shot he's been taking all year; AND it was an open look...

Stevenson was 2-10, and probably not the best option. Jamison was hanging around the baseline waiting for a tip in opportunity. Mason was running the Left Sideline. Blatche was out of the play.

Young took the shot with 2 seconds left (normally plenty of time for a potential tip in - but not enough for an opponent to rebound and heave a desparation shot); Jamison was positioned in the paint and had forced his opponent UNDER the basket - so he was in perfect position for a tip in... but the ball bounced high. I'm thinking that's not such a bad play.

Had Young shot it a bit softer, he'd have been the hero. If the ball didn't bounce so high, Jamison may have been the hero. As it turned out, the play gave the Wizards a chance for the win.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Some BH bashers never learn (same with DM bashers and NY bashers before that). They see the bleedin' obvious but never look at (or are not perceptive enough to see) the other underlying causes.

DM bashers (one of them Rob P) used to say well he hasn't shown me anything for months. Of course when you looked at the box scores he was only playing 3-5 minutes a game if he even got in the game. I mean what are you going to show with that kind of playing time.

BTW, DM has a chance of being a pretty darn good player in the future, but I digress.

If they would have lost last night, we'd probably be hearing that BH should have played more and what a poor coach EJ is.

This is why I don't post on this board much anymore. We talk about the minutia of absolutely nothing most of the time and DC Mann88 says the same things about "Gilby" over and over and over and over again.

There are some perceptive posters (GM, Rook and some others) that I like reading and even learn a few things from from time to time.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I need some more caffein this morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Already had my cuppa joe this morning anon - and couldn't agree more.

The Wizards played a very good Toronto team, in Toronto, and came away with a Win. Jamison played with a bad back, and still put up 25 and 16. They played hard all night. They played exceptional defense for 30 SECONDS on the last play of the game with 4 very contested and awkward shots by Toronto (Including 2 blocked shots); all in 30 seconds of high intensity defensive effort.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I am somewhat puzzled about why EJ sat BH down right after he blocked a lay-up attempt, and never played him again.

I know some people may say EJ wanted AB to guard Bargnani on the outside. But even Rasho (who does not operate outside) played 10 more minutes than Haywood. In fact, Rasho got a couple of offensive rebounds and free baskets when Haywood was not there.

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 8, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama
---

somewhat liberal. i like to feel that if you only lose by a handful of points. especially when 2 games are decided by no calls on LeBron "travel-carry" James, that we were pretty close

Posted by: el duderino | March 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red | March 8, 2008 08:50 AM

why?

posted by: Rook

Really? Nick Young's best move is a fade away three pointer? How about running the offense? How about driving, maybe getting a foul? Oh, but the Raptors' might steal the ball and win in regulation, you say. True. But is the goal in a last second situation to win, or to make sure it goes to overtime?

Posted by: Red | March 8, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Good game and crucial win. Let's hope they can win tonight as well. Also, i dont see a problem with Nick Young taking the last shot even though it did seem like, to me, that Stevenson was going to take it and that Nick really was surprised to get it. Seems like Nick is the better shooter though, other than Roger M.

Posted by: washingtonian | March 8, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Red | March 8, 2008 11:48 AM

If the Wizards are behind by 1, I'd agree with you. Drive to the basket; get a mid-range jumper; pick-and-roll; set some screens.........

But with the game tied, on the road, the goal should be to NOT TURN THE BALL OVER, get a good OPEN shot, and leave NO TIME left for the Raptors to win the game in regulation. If that means a 3-point shot from a guy shooting 50% for the game, then so be it.

You give the ball to the guy on your team that can create his own shot. In LA, that's Kobe. In Boston, it's Paul Pierce. In Washington (with Gilbert Arenas injured) you give the ball to Nick Young.

I say Nick's shot was a good one under those circumstances.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting quote at the end of Ivan's article...

"All the young guys did a great job," Jamison said. "Andray came in and had a tough job guarding Bargnani and then offensively, he did a good job. ...... We had some guys frustrated sitting over there on the bench but Coach had the trust to put some young guys in and they came through for us."

I wonder who was the "frustrated" one?

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

EJ has no confidence in BTH. It's gotta be that simple. He'll never have confidence in him if he doesn't at this point.

Posted by: mark | March 8, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Les BouleS had a great win last night, but it was against a team without Bosh, so there was absolutely no inside presence for their team. Bosh to Toronto is probably more critical than Caron and Gilby combined for Les BouleS.

Also, with the numbers AJ is putting up, disappearing is the argument that he's going to "accept" a 10-12 mil average salary next season. The more he plays, the more he shows his scoring ability and ability to stay healthy, that's just going to be very attractive to playoff teams out there. AJ is probably more likely to leave Les BouleS for bigger money than Gilby is to leave at all.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"Also, with the numbers AJ is putting up, disappearing is the argument that he's going to "accept" a 10-12 mil average salary next season."

Posted by: kalorama | March 8, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Haywood was a bad cover for Bargnani, a player who likes to shoot from the outside and can put the ball on the floor. Going to Blatche was the right move. Daniels didn't play much (if at all) in the 4th quarter and never got off the bench in overtime. Yet he was shown being upbeat and supporting the team on the bench. If Haywood was pissed because the team was succeeding without him on the floor, he needs to have his priorities adjusted.

"If someone wants to post something negative about a good Wizards win last night - they should be talking about all the turnovers, or the poor shooting night by Stevenson."

Exactly. But they won't, because doing so would require them to actually place some blame on the players and rob them of an opportunity to rip on Jordan.

Posted by: kalorama | March 8, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"He'll have no but choice to accept it if that's the best offer he gets. No one is going to offer a max contract to a 32 year old who's never led a team past the second round.

Posted by: kalorama | March 8, 2008 01:32 PM "

It's way too early to tell what the free market is going to be like this summer. There are so many western teams at the top that they'll want someone as consistent as AJ, whether as a straight up FA acquisition or via a sign and trade.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, KG is the same age and makes 23 mil this season on his contract, and he didn't do anything in Minnesota until Cassell and Sprewell got on the team. Boston glady took on his contract anyway."

In other words, Jamison does not equal Garnett.

Posted by: kalorama | March 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz shuold do whatever it takes to get Luol Deng next year. His game is perfect for the game the Wiz play. Plus he will be an allstar for many years to come...

Posted by: oddjob | March 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 01:39 PM

Ivan posted that there are NO winning Western Conference teams that will have free cap space next year to offer Jamison what the Wizards can offer ($8-11 Million).

Matter of fact, there are only a couple of teams that WILL have cap space .... Charlotte being one.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

western teams at the top that they'll want someone as consistent as AJ,

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 01:39 PM

I'm sure the Wizards would "want" to sign Josh Smith, AND Emeka Okafor, AND Luol Deng, AND Devean George, AND Baron Davis, AND Jermaine O'Neal, AND Grant Hill AND Ron Artest, AND Coby Karl; But they won't have the Cap space to do it.

And, it has NOTHING to do with a "Cheap Owner", or going over the Luxury Tax. It has to do with the RULES of the Collective Bargaining Agreement that the Owners and Players signed up to during their last contract negotiations.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob | March 8, 2008 01:56 PM

Hey oddjob - I like Deng's game too... and also think he would do well in the Wizards system... but the Wizards already have a dirth of good, young bigs.... Plus I think he'll garner a lot of attention in the FA market, and his price may be too high. I could see someone offering $8-10 Million; and that's too much.

Besides the Wizards have other glaring needs... I think I'd rather see them try to sign a young Point Guard to groom as a back-up for when Daniels is done. Memphis has a few too many young PG's on their roster. I could see offering McGuire or Pecherov for one of their PG's.

Either that, or draft a pure Point Guard in the next draft. (Darren Collison, anyone?)

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Exactly.

Posted by: kalorama
--------------------------------------------
Agreed. The worst part of last night's game is the turnovers, and none worse than Songaila, who has team high 5 turnovers.

Posted by: Sagaliba | March 8, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Same crap different day! GO WIZ! A WIN IS A WIN!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"WANTING a player, and being able to free enough Cap space to offer that player enough money to sign them are two different things.

Posted by: Rook | March 8, 2008 02:20 PM "

It's a good think you're not a GM b/c you'd be busy sitting on your hands to do anything.

As I said, not only can AJ be signed as a FA, but also be sent packing via a sign and trade. It'd behoove Les BouleS to do the latter b/c at least they can get something in return, rather than let people walk, like Jarvis and Jared. AJ could command serious money in the market b/c of his offensive ability, consistency, and ability to stay healthy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Garnett (A) wasn't a FA when Boston got him, so they weren't in a position to set the price (B) has been a game changing defensive player and rebounder his entire career (C) has been putting up 20 and 10 like it was nothing for 10 years, as opposed to Jamison, who's doing it for the first time in his tenth year, a contract year. Coincidence? Don't think so.

In other words, Jamison does not equal Garnett.

Posted by: kalorama | March 8, 2008 01:44 PM "

Duh. Did anyone say AJ equals KG? Nobody said AJ deserves 23 mil.

Everybody knows that KG was not a FA. The point was that Boston was willing to assume his huge contract, which gives him 23 mil this season.

Again, whether KG is a game changing defensive player or not, the point is that KG hasn't done squat in the playoffs just like you said AJ hasn't done squat.

Go look at AJ's stats. Extremely consistent (roughly 20 pts and 8 rebs with 3 point ability).

BTW, nobody is saying AJ deserves KG's 23 mil. What I am saying is that more than 10-12 mil is not far fetched.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 8, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag@AOL.COM, again believe what you want to believe. EJ has done his best coaching since he's been here, but he is still no where near a top of the line coach in this league. You said most coaches would have given up in his situation??? What??? Smoke what you want! If Eddie Jordan were an elite championship caliber coach he would not have a career 44% winning percentage. Please address this very critical point! And you mentioned execution is on the players, well the best coaches' players consistently execute. We don't. Look at Utah, that team executes bc it has top notch coaching!

To whomever brought my name up about DM, yes I said he showed me absolutely nothing in the beginning of the year and he didn't no matter how many minutes he played. Perhaps that is why he was getting no minutes. But, I've since have given him plenty of praise. Dude should have a nice career as a defender/rebounder. Maybe a poor man's Dennis Rodman. I can only call it how I see it. At the same time, NY was getting little to no minutes, but at least you could tell the dude could score.

Posted by: Rob P | March 11, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse