Wizards at Kings

After taking yesterday off and going through shootaround this morning, the Wizards should be fresh and ready to go tonight against Kings squad that is playing out the string but nonetheless has the ability to really hurt you on a given night. Consider that while the Kings have lost three straight, they did recently put together back-to-back wins over Toronto and Golden State (by 17) and they beat the Lakers in Los Angeles on March 9.

It appears that Sacramento may play without point guard Beno Udrih however. He has a strained lower back.

The Wizards beat the Kings 92-79 at VC back on Dec. 15 but the Kings played without talented scorer Kevin Martin. DeShawn Stevenson had it rolling that night and made five three-pointers. The Wiz have won five straight over the Kings and two straight at Arco Arena.

No real news to update but I will say that I have a strong hunch that Gilbert Arenas is going to make a real push to play when the team returns home for Wednesday's game against Milwaukee. He still has to be cleared by doctors however.

I'll check in with any updates from the arena later.

By Ivan Carter |  March 28, 2008; 6:19 PM ET
Previous: Wiz going global | Next: Tough Juice Gets It Done (Songaila too)

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

What do you mean by strong hunch? Gil said in his blog he was gonna try and play then? He dropping any more hints? how's he looking in workouts?

Posted by: Ben | March 28, 2008 6:42 PM

What are the chances that the doctors will clear him to play? Is he still getting swelling after workouts?

Posted by: John Brisker | March 28, 2008 6:54 PM

where am i? what am i doing here?

Posted by: matt | March 28, 2008 7:24 PM

huh?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 7:58 PM

Does traveling with the Wizards have any effect on Arenas' rehab of the knee?

Posted by: George Templeton | March 28, 2008 8:07 PM

Thanks Ivan. Have you asked Gil if he's still getting the swelling? What is going on with Etan? How do these guys look in practice?

As far as the draft I'd go PG, if only cause AD is the oldest guy on the team. We are solid everywhere else depth wise. Even if Mason leaves we have Stevenson the present and Young the future there. SF Caron, Jamison and MCGuire all can play there. We already have another PF rookie in Veremeenko to bring in, added to the list of Jamison, Songaila, Pesh and Blatche.

But I would love to get Hibbert. I think he's gonna be a better pro than he was in college. With his size, soft touch, ability to pass, and experience in the princeton I think he'd be a real good pick.

All the posts in the last one about the old Bullets... Man Ivan, any chance the Wizards learn from the Caps and break out the Red White and Blue gear. It would be right on for those games in Europe. We are the nation's capital, and just cause we changed our name there is no reason to lose our colors!!!

Posted by: Darnell | March 28, 2008 8:23 PM

Right now, the Wizards are 26-17 with Caron Butler and WITHOUT Gilbert in the lineup.

Without Arenas, this team looks dangerous, and could certainly win a series or two in the playoffs. They are playing solid defense, and they are playing team oriented basketball.

Wizard fans should be hoping that Arenas is not cleared to play this season, because if he is, I am afraid that this team will be one and done. It is too bad, because without Gil, this team actually has a chance.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 28, 2008 9:40 PM

Buck said Gil was "ACTIVE" for tonights game Ivan. Where are you at????

We'll see if he plays however.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | March 28, 2008 10:00 PM

Phil and Buck just reported that Gil is active tonight. Should be interesting.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 28, 2008 10:01 PM

I guess he couldn't resist waiting longer. I bet he couldn't bear the idea of sitting at the Staples Center on Sunday so wants to get ready tonight. I hope he plays no more than 20-25 minutes.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 28, 2008 10:05 PM

Arenas has been "active" all year... As has Etan Thomas.

He still has not been cleared to play by the Doctors.

Posted by: Rook | March 28, 2008 10:09 PM

Buck "reported" something that has been the case all season. False alarm folks.

Posted by: Ivan | March 28, 2008 10:18 PM

Yeah they Buck just explained it. So why didn't they give that explanation at 9:30 on the comcast news show when they came on like it was a scoop?

Disappointed and surprised with our announcers. I have never been very impressed with their calls of the game but never questioned their accuracy. They clearly gave false impression here.

Anyway, we gotta take care of these Kings tonight. Up by 2. Hope we can get some seperation.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 28, 2008 10:23 PM

DS just left after rolling his ankle. he was limping but left under his own power. Just what we need, another injury. jeeez

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 10:45 PM

DS is back in the game

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 11:00 PM

DS is back in the game

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 11:00 PM

Gilby in street clothes.

He's better off not playing this game anyway. Artest would beat him like a dog.

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 28, 2008 11:02 PM

CARON WITH THE PLAY OF THE SEASON!!!! TOMAHAWK BABY!

Posted by: Adam | March 28, 2008 11:47 PM

SEND IT IN CARON!!!

Posted by: Bill Raftery | March 28, 2008 11:48 PM

What a play. Started with the drive where he faked somebody out of their jock strap!

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 28, 2008 11:55 PM

35-21 quarter! Let's extend it some more. Songalia clearly better matchup than BH on Miller tonight.

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 28, 2008 11:57 PM

Darius Songaila: He cuts like a knife.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2008 12:23 AM

Caron to Darius=A thing of beauty.

Posted by: Adam | March 29, 2008 12:26 AM

small ball worked tonight.

Well, 1 outta 72 aint bad

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2008 12:30 AM

ANTAWN IS ONLY PLAYING THIS GOOD BECAUSE IT IS A CONTRACT YEAR

Posted by: DC Man88 | March 29, 2008 12:30 AM

Why isn't anyone talking about what is obvious -- the wiz are much much better off as the 6 seed, playing orlando and detroit than the 5 playing cleveland a,d boston? Shouldn't they tank a couple of games? Won't philly do the same?

Posted by: mkj | March 29, 2008 12:36 AM

I definitely agree, Darius cuts like a knife and Antawn is only as good because he's a contact player. Nothing wrong with physical play

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2008 12:37 AM

that is far from obvious, and it has been discussed extensively

Posted by: Smith | March 29, 2008 12:37 AM

you play to win the game, that's what philly & toronto are trying to do. going into tonight, only 1 game separates the 5 - 7 slots.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 29, 2008 12:38 AM

Posted by: Herm Edwards | March 29, 2008 12:38 AM

DETERMINATION....
I HAVEN'T SEEN A TEAM MORE DETERMINED THEN THIS GROUP
AND I'VE BEEN A FAN SINCE BEFORE THE FAT LADY SANG.
THEY PLAY AS A TEAM AND THAT HELPS MAKE THEM ALL
GREAT PLAYERS. FROM STARTERS TO SUBS ANY ONE
PLAYER IS ABLE TO TAKE OVER A GAME IN ONE WAY OR
ANOTHER. TO ETON, COME TO THE PLAYOFF GAMES BECAUSE
YOUR STILL PART OF THE TEAM. TO ARENAS, PLAY WITH THE
TEAM AND SET AN ASSIST RECORD.
GARY

Posted by: A429SCJ | March 29, 2008 12:40 AM

Another great comeback win. Team has great character. You have to just love these guys. They can be down double digits and still you know that they are still in it. They can turn it around quickly and what is great is that they turn it around by committing on defense as well as hitting shots. That's so different than in the past.

We have more than treaded water without Gil. When he returns it is going to be quite interesting.

A win in LA puts us on the national radar. hear Kobe has over 50 tonight already. Should be quite a show!

Posted by: BmoreRev | March 29, 2008 12:50 AM

Well...we pulled out the win. Not a great game defensively especially, but a win is a win. Jamison got abused on defense like last season.

Yeah, that play by Butler was the best of the season. Reminded me of the Howard dunk in the dunk contest. He kind of threw it in instead of a typical dunk, but it looked great and it was in a game situation!

Lakers game should be fun!

Posted by: Rob P | March 29, 2008 1:00 AM

If the Wiz don't come out sharper than they have at the beginning of the last two, they'll be in trouble. It's one thing to spot Seattle and Sacramento double digit leads and stage late rallies to win. But that strategy has a much lower chance for success against the Lakers and Jazz.

Posted by: kalorama | March 29, 2008 1:04 AM

Cleveland better be looking over their shoulder - the Wizards are only 2 games back of the 4th spot, and home court advantage in the 1st round.

Cleveland has a couple of tough games; at Detroit Saturday, and hosting Philly on the second game of a back-to-back on Sunday..

Posted by: Rook | March 29, 2008 1:40 AM

Yep only down two to the Cavs in the loss column... Is the Fat Lady gargling?

Posted by: khrabb | March 29, 2008 2:21 AM

Nice comeback win tonight didn't see that coming.

Thoughts re: the draft.

I think if there is only a moderate ratings difference then yes, draft your needs, but if something is sticking out as being a surprise or higher upside, I'm fine with drafting a surplus of talent at a position. If nothing else it makes for better trade bait. A higher value at any position is worth more in the trade market. Odds are your surplus is someone else's need. Worst case scenario you are deep.

That is my OPINION. Not sure why we are caps on that, but seems to be the trend. I typically assume that what you write is your opinion.

DC Man, you know I think you might have a point about Andre, but it might be an excuse for him too. Wrong system for AD? Perhaps, although I doubt it this year. If he was going to have a good opportunity to make his case in any system this would have been a great time. The questions about his mental / focus can't really be relegated to the system he is playing in. Could he be better in a system that was tailored to his needs? Sure. Who couldn't, but is there a team in the league that would make AB a focal point of their offense and still make the playoffs? Or by your favorite metric, go deep and win a title? I doubt.

Though that is all to say, when you consider how much angst Gilbert's lack of maturity seems to cause you I wonder how long you will turn a blind eye towards AB's?

And this season without Gilbert / Etan has meant more time than I expected for Andre... We shall see, but he is starting to sketch me out. I'm just looking for some consistent effort.

Also, I am mildly amused by AB's fanciful projections. Before the season peeps had AB as a young Kevin Garnett, now he is the second coming of Brad Miller, at this rate he is going to be the next Kevin Duckworth by 2009. He needs to really figure out why he wants to play pro-ball. If it's for the checks, Kwame is holding down a bench for him in memphis. I woulda given him for Gasol... this year...

PROVE ME WRONG ANDRE, please prove me wrong. That is all I ask.

Posted by: g | March 29, 2008 2:28 AM

g, it's WAY too early to give up on AB. He is signed to a very reasonable contract, so it's not like he is killing our cap and he is just 21.

Not too many people in any field are their most mature at 21. Plus, he's already a millionaire. Thus the age limit is a great idea. There are VERY few LeBron's or Garnett's or Bryant's out there. The one's that don't make it are forgotten about, but there are many more of them!

Posted by: Rob P | March 29, 2008 2:35 AM

Sorry Rob, didn't mean to sound like I've given up on him. But I do think that the clock is starting to tick. My issue isn't huge numbers, i'm ok with him getting limited numbers with limited burn. As long as there is focus and energy.

My concern is the mental stuff, it is WAY to soon for Blatche to be judged, but he is overdue for a serious attitude adjustment.

I see a big guy with a lot of tool, I just want him to be sharp, so that someday he can be really good. Sooner than too late.

Posted by: g | March 29, 2008 2:52 AM

My real name is DC Fairy88.

Everyone knows why: I luv Gilby!

Sashay!

I am also known as Clewiston88, or "ClueLess."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 1, 2008 3:00 AM