Arenas Finally Speaks - On His Blog

Gilbert Arenas is done talking to reporters until next season - or so he says in his latest blog entry on NBA.com. We'll see how long that really lasts. Arenas's reasoning is that reporters don't have anything new to ask and he doesn't have anything new to say.

"When people are asking me, "How does it feel to be back?" I don't consider myself back. It's jinxy. That's why I don't talk to the media right now. They're going to ask the same questions, 'How does the knee feel? ... How does it feel coming off the bench? ... Are you opting out?' " Arenas wrote. "You know what, there's only so many times you can answer those same questions. I mean, can't they just use the same quotes I said last week? There's only so many times you can answer the same questions so I just said, 'Forget it.' "

Those shoes don't match. Are those the old Atlanta Hawks' colors? They'd look great with those Pac-Man uniforms Dominique Wilkins used to wear. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

C'mon, Gilbert. Give us a little credit. Some of us have other questions to ask you. Like, wassup with those colorful shoes you've been sporting? Are you worried about getting fined? Word is, the league office is going to keep a lookout on Arenas's footware the rest of the season.

He added that he will be taking a break from writing - or calling in, actually - his blog, too.

You can check out the blog yourself, but I found it interesting that Arenas is basically begging for a first-round series against Cleveland because "we don't think they can beat us in the playoffs three years straight." He also took some time to gloat over the Wizards success against the Celtics. They've gone 3-1 against Boston but they are 1-1 with Arenas in the lineup. No matter.

"I remember when I made the prediction at the beginning of the year that we would beat Boston, everybody laughed at me after we lost. They had their little short giggles. I'm glad you guys giggled, because I'm going to be giggling the whole summer now. I think we're the only team in the league to beat them three times this season. So, giggle giggle giggle back. You all were so quick to kill me, but five months later I got the last laugh. Three out of four."

I'm smiling, because we own the Celtics, but I'm not talking to the media. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. But the Wizards really need to win the next two games against Detroit and Philadelphia to secure the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference, guarantee a first-round matchup against Cleveland. It will also be the only way Washington has any chance of catching the Cavs for homecourt advantage in the first round.

But I've got a question for you guys: If you had a question for Gilbert, what would it be? Remember, he's sick of talking about his knee and opting out. So what else do you want to know?

By Michael Lee  |  April 11, 2008; 4:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz-Cs Part IV
Next: Wiz at Piston, Arenas to play

Comments

What have you learned about your teammates from watching them play without you? What have you learned about yourself?

Posted by: neck of eackles | April 11, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

AD, AJ can dunk. How about you?

Posted by: skippypnut | April 11, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

What point guards -- past and present -- does he admire, and does he try to pattern his game, even partly, after any particular players?

Are his basketball role models point guards, or shooting guards?

If he could choose to lead the league in assists or points, which would he choose? Which would he feel prouder accomplishing?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

How does he match up with NY in the backcourt?

or

What opportunities can he take advantage of when AB is on the floor as the big man?

Posted by: Izman | April 11, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry all ... looks like everyone will be able to see the game. Here is the link for where to find the game:

Posted by: 2cents | April 11, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, how do you feel about Michael Lee writing things like: "the flashy player who popularized "Hibachi!" is being replaced by a giddy reserve not looking to do much more than fit in.".

I'm curious, because when I watch the game, it's like you're kicking it into fast-forward while the rest of the guys on the court are in slo-mo. Not sure what game Michael's watching.

Seems especially odd when you're stealing people blind and pulling off spectacular passes unlike anything we've seen prior to you coming back.

Posted by: burke | April 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Did he actually flip a coin ten times to decide between the Clippers and the Wizards? I mean come on, the Clippers?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Prioritize the following:

- winning an NBA championship
- signing a top dollar contract
- selling the most jersey's
- retaining AJ next season

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Will EJ stick to his plan of benching Gil on back-to-back nights? If so: is Gil going to play only tonight, or only tomorrow night vs. the Sixers?

I'd wager that the Wizards will back off from that "no back-to-back" rule during the playoffs, given the compressed nature of the schedule. Given the importance of seeing and a shot at home-court advantage, we may see this rule relaxed even sooner.

Posted by: Keynote | April 11, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I live in Howard County, and at least half the time when the Wizards are supposed to be on Comcast 8, the game is nowhere to be found on any Comcast station. Sometimes they join the game halfway through.

Just another reason to hate Comcast.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I believe there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

What's more important to you, winning an NBA championhsip or an MVP?

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 11, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

What do you sleep in? What color undies do you wear? Boxers or briefs? Shave or wax?

Posted by: DCMan88 | April 11, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Keynote wrote: "I'd wager that the Wizards will back off from that "no back-to-back" rule during the playoffs, given the compressed nature of the schedule."

I'll take that wager! There are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.

and is anyone really surprised at anything Micheal Lee writes anymore?

hurry back Ivan!

Posted by: I call | April 11, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

when will you be serious about playing defense

Posted by: evan | April 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

After the back to back this weekend (Fri & Sat) as others have already mentioned, it won't be an issue.

It will be interesting to see if Gilbert will play in both games, or if not, then which one.

Yes, I agree Michael Lee's characterization of Gilbert so far as a "giddy reserve not looking to do much more than fit in" does not totally ring true from what I've see.

Not counting his first game back, they have kicked it into another gear when he has been in there and probably out scored opponents each time during his minutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 4:16 PM

Gilbert is from LA and it's not like the Wizards were all that great 5 years ago...

Posted by: Kev | April 11, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

yeah "Clippers East" comes to mind...

Posted by: jones-y | April 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is not 100 percent. And for those of you who think he is, you haven't watched him play the last four years. And you definitely didn't watch the game on Wednesday. He is trying to fit in. Fitting in for Arenas doesn't mean that there is a drop off when he is on the floor. Fitting in means that he's not trying to take the spotlight from Antawn or Caron or trying to be the hero. He's sharing the ball, involving his teammates more and embracing his role as a reserve. That is a good thing. You guys KNOW this is not Agent Zero. But it's better than anything else out there. Arenas has played well since coming back. I don't know why you'd try to make more out of that "giddy reserve" line than necessary.

Posted by: Michael Lee | April 11, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I remember him connecting with Jason Richardson on some nice alleyoops back in Golden State.

He hasn't done much of that in Washington, but now we have Blatche and Nick Young. He hooked up with Young against Miami and brought the crowd to their feet.

Ask him if that's going to become a regular part of the arsenal if those guys are on the court with him.

Posted by: ET | April 11, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

When you get your salad tossed - do you prefer syrup or jelly?

Posted by: DCMan88 | April 11, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Back-to-back in the playoffs? No way! In the first round, we'll be lucky to play 2 games in 1 week!!

Thanks for the update on the channels 2Cents, glad I could catch the game on DirecTV...

Posted by: CN | April 11, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Arena is not the player he was before (yet) to be sure - even EJ has said that.

I don't know how this season including the playoffs will ultimately turn out for Gilbert and the Wizards, but I posted several times before the season began that Arenas would be a more effective player if he scored less and setup his teammates more. And Wiz would be a better team because of it.

Posted by: Tim | April 11, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, this puts an end to every WaPo story that starts, "Gilbert Arenas, who has not talked to the press, blah blah blah...." We get it.

Posted by: AndNone | April 11, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Jelly!

Posted by: DCMan88 | April 11, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Michael, first of all, thanks for responding.

I'm not saying that Gilbert is anywhere near 100%. For openers, his shooting is way,way off, and he's not driving to the basket at will. But I just don't see the "not flashy; just trying to fit in" part. When I see him out there, he's still trying to take over the game and drive it at Hibachi speed.

Maybe more as a facilitator than as a scorer, but still trying to put a strong imprint on the game. And the passing is definitely flashy.

Posted by: burke | April 11, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Mike,

I love the cynicism in your blog entry. The beginning almost reminded me of the article that Gene Weingarten wrote about the violinist that gave him the Pulitzer.

Gilby the goof finally woke up and realized that too much press is not necessarily good, because it puts pressure on him to own up to his words. Or, some of the vets told him to put a sock in it because the last thing another team needs is added incentive to beat Les BouleS.

If the former is true, it's showing that Gilby the diva is showing some signs of maturing. Gilby needs to prove to EG and Abe that he's not a wildcard, and deserving the money of a max player. That's what Jon Barry called him the other night when asked if he thought Gilby was a max player. This team doesn't need a max money Gilby to turn into a Dennis Rodman, Ron Artest, or Bison Dele.

Questions for Gilby:

* What has fatherhood taught him and how has he changed, if at all, as a result of fathering 2 kids.

* How important is it for Gilby to be in the limelight?

* When do you plan on reconciling with your mother?

* You've moved past the state where you considered yourself a zero, so should we be in store for a new nickname?

* You grew up without your mother in your life. How do you want your kids to grow up?

* What area of your game do you think needs the most work?

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW Mike, I'm glad you exposed the fact that Gilby hires someone to type out his blogs, and he just dials in with the input.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Question:

Gil...what's the deal with McDonald's?

Your kids are going to be Fast Food Nation 2.0 -- or round little Agent Double-Zeros if you keep them living off 69 cent cheeseburgers, Doritos and birthday cakes from Safeway.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 11, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

And, to the anonymous blogger who's making comments using my name...you suck and you know it. I'm glad I've affected you so badly that you have to resort to making inputs using my blog name. Luv it!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

So you actually prefer syrup?

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 11, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Would you ever move to the two-guard spot if the Wizards acquired a young starting caliber point guard?

Posted by: George Templeton | April 11, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who live in the city (DC)and have Comcast, the game will be televised on CN8 - Channel 21 on my television.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I would like to respond to DCMan's questions with some questions of my own:

* What does that have to do with basketball?
* How is that your business?
* Why would you possibly care, anyway?
* Is your issue with Arenas the basketball player or Arenas the man?
* Is that really anyone's business but his and his family's?
* Do you have any other obsessions, or are you pretty much focused on Gilbert Arenas?
* How's YOUR mother?

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 11, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

The Lady has spoken. Thank you Mrs. Pollin.

Posted by: Janitor | April 11, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is Michael so mad at you? Did you hurt his feelings?

Posted by: SteveBuckhantz | April 11, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Gil, most of the Washingtonian's, raised/born here, love you and your coming here to DC.

Posted by: washingtonian | April 11, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Question for Gilbert:

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

What are the last 5 albums he listened to?

Posted by: kg | April 11, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"Do you get as much enjoyment out of shutting down an opposing star guard as you doing scoring a bunch of points on him? If not, why not? Both are equally important when it comes to winning.

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 7:19 PM "

Unfortunately, Gilby wouldn't know b/c the former has never happened.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"I would like to respond to DCMan's questions with some questions of my own:

* What does that have to do with basketball?
* How is that your business?
* Why would you possibly care, anyway?
* Is your issue with Arenas the basketball player or Arenas the man?
* Is that really anyone's business but his and his family's?
* How's YOUR mother?

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 11, 2008 6:20 PM "

Irene, Abe said he's got a milkshake for you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

"Nobody calls him Gilby. That jerk's posts wouldn't annoy me so much if he'd just call him by his name or one of his many nicknames. DCboy complains about ad hominem attacks when all of his posts referring to Gilbert do the same. Lame.

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 6:42 PM "

You're just jealous you weren't clever enough to come up with Gilby.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"What the hell does it matter if Gil types his blog himself or has someone do it? He has enough flippin' money to hire someone. Bet the other NBA bloggers do the same thing.

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 6:16 PM "

Of course it matters. Gilby's a fake!

If he has so much money, he should hire a maid so that he can't complain to Laura about the house being dirty when he comes home.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

"So you actually prefer syrup?

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 11, 2008 5:58 PM "

Your mom needs syrup b/c she's got poor gag reflexes.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

So funny, courtesy of Mike Lee:

"Arenas hasn't spoken to reporters since he made his ballyhooed return last week, but his game thus far is saying that the flashy player who popularized "Hibachi!" is being replaced by a giddy reserve not looking to do much more than fit in."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

KG clearly was sleeping during the game, as Gilby shot 5-14 in 24 minutes. 14 SHOTS IN 24 MINUTES!

"He is still Gil," Celtics forward Kevin Garnett said. "He is still aggressive. He passed the ball more. The ball moved around a little more."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Gilby only cares about stats, not winning:

"Gilbert also figures into the chapter "Do Athletes Think About Their Statistics While They're Playing," with Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony holding Gilbert up as an example of a player who charts his stats in his head. Gilbert then clarifies.

"The way I keep stats in my head for me to have a good game is make two layups, make two free throws, hit a jump shot," he tells Todd. "That's how I think of it. Like, a series or a little task. Get me two assists, have two rebounds. And I have someone chart it. They'll tell me I need to get three [of each] next time.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Security for Laura Govan:

Arenas on females

I ain't even gonna lie, I know how girls feel when guys grab on them and stuff. Because the girls... Woo! Woo! They over me like flies in D.C.! I have this thing where if you don't go out as much, people want you more. You're a hot commodity. I go to the club, once a month, three times a year, and I'm like a wildfire in there! I like to just to go sometimes to put my face out there and show people I'm still here.... If I see a celebrity women I'm going at them. Halle Berry where you at? I'm next.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 11, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: satch | April 11, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Tard said:

"Irene, Abe said he's got a milkshake for you."

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

When you gonna shut up and play ball, Joe?

Posted by: slim charles | April 11, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

There is only one solution to dealing with DC Man88:

We are all going to have to abandon this blog, permanently. If this fool posts and no one responds, that won't be good enough. We have to completely leave here and then DC Man88 will be posting to himself. That would be funny and sad. But it's the only way.

This way, Ivan and Mike and the W. Post will realize they should have blocked DC Man88.

We can still read Ivan and Mike's blog entries. But to defeat DC Man88, we have to stop posting and reading the reader posts.

Adios. I'll never be back, and I encourage all sane people to say goodbye, too. Too bad, but there are other blogs and they require signing in and they are moderated to screen out fools like DC Man88.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

This was a great thread until DcMann88 ruined it.

Posted by: JJ | April 12, 2008 4:54 AM | Report abuse

He ruins it every time.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

"There is only one solution to dealing with DC Man88:

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 12:14 AM "

Nahhhh, I BET that you suckers will return, again and again, for more enlightment.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Is that supposed to be a joke? Is that a "There Will Be Blood" reference? That's just weak. You shouldn't try to be funny. You're about as funny as you are sane. This stuff about people's personal lives is just creepy.

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 11, 2008 9:36 PM "

You're not funny either.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"So what if GA keeps track of his stats? What part of that quote mentions him not caring about winning?

Posted by: | April 11, 2008 8:52 PM "

What part about it mentions that he DOES CARE about winning? All we know is that he said from his own mouth that he's busy tracking stats during the game, and he's busy having someone track stats for him. That's just plain wrong.

Then again, not surprising for a guy who's only interested in personal stats so that he can make all star games.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

For GA, I agree with the Q on his wieght. He does look a good bit heavier, so what kind of condition is he in? Plus his jump shot looks flat. Is that an indication his legs are weak and tired? If so we won't see him in decent basketball shape until next year and what we see now is what we will get from him in the playoffs. Can you say "one and done", boys and girls?

Posted by: oddjob | April 12, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"One thing worth asking Gilbert about: has he put on some weight? He's looking bulkier out there, maybe he's been hitting the weight room more. I wonder how that will affect his quickness, and whether he feels any different as a result. Are we going to see Gilbert posting point guards more now?

Posted by: satch | April 11, 2008 8:34 PM "

That's strange, b/c Gilby said he doesn't do weights. Must be the pies and the fried chicken.

"Arenas on his prep career

I started off playing football. I actually played every position. For some reason, I don't know what it was, but our high school basketball team played against our high school football team in football. We won. For some reason...I don't know how my body type was structured, but I couldn't get tackled....Muscles, I can't lift weights, but when it comes to contact I can take contact."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Simple.Are you capable of a twenty point ten assists average for the season next year?

Posted by: firemetalrat | April 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Do you seriously think you can beat the Cavaliers? Because i for some reason DON'T see that happening! Cavaliers in 6 games!

Posted by: Christian | April 14, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Gilby, I noticed you put on a lot of weight and are only playing a handful of minutes a game. Your conditioning seems to be in question. When you are on the bench do you drink butter flavored gator-bacon-ade? Are cheesefries still your favorite pregame snack?

Posted by: GabbyJabby | April 14, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I think I would ask the same as you: I know he is very supersticious, so I have been wondering since he came back whats the reason for the red shoes he's been wearing...at first I thought it was because he didn't intend on playing that first game back, and maybe those were the only shoes he had, but he wore a different pair of red shoes the next game...it makes me wonder why...and to the "Cavaliers in 6 games" guy, get real...now bounce to that.

Posted by: Only4Mal | April 14, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The very first question is a really good one...I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

All you other guys asking about his weight, those are all dumb questions, the man hasn't played in 5 months...rehab excercies are designed to strengthen the leg, thats not the same as playing ball full speed everyday.

Posted by: Only4Mal | April 14, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, We miss you in K.C.

Posted by: ed murphy | April 16, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse