Arenas and Butler out

Gilbert Arenas will be held out of tonight's game against Indy as a precautionary measure to rest his surgically repaired left knee. Caron Butler will miss his second straight game with a bruised right knee.

I chatted with Antonio Daniels a bit before the game and he said that Arenas wasn't hurting or anything and considered playing tonight but decided to rest the knee. If Wednesday's game at Orlando means anything, Arenas and Butler would likely play.

Eddie Jordan on Butler, who bumped knees with Detroit's Rodney Stuckey Friday night: "There's still some soreness and we want to just make sure that he's going to play, hopefully Wednesday without anymore pain. As soon as they are ready to play, they will play."

DeShawn Stevenson is going to play tonight despite a painful lower back but that's nothing new. He also said that he's serious about getting Soulja Boy a courtside seat for games against Cleveland at Verizon Center in the first round. And, he said he's serious about putting Soulja Boy in one of his game jerseys.

"Oh, he's going to be there, watch," Stevenson said though he said it with a smirk that made it hard for me to tell if he was serious. I guess we'll have to wait and see. He also said that he'll have some "good stuff" for us after the game. My read: he's going to call LeBron James out some more.

By Ivan Carter |  April 14, 2008; 6:20 PM ET
Previous: Monday update | Next: The Shove That Shook The East

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I say let them all sit until the playoffs start...let the kids get some time in and vets rest.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | April 14, 2008 6:57 PM

Looking forward to the series with the Cavs. I feel that we can send them packing this time around.

Posted by: B.A.M. | April 14, 2008 7:22 PM

I'm all for being confident, but we don't need to give the Cavs/LeBron any extra incentive. They sent us packing two years in a row, and if they managed to beat us in a series again this year, you have to wonder if they wouldn't be in this team's head for good. I think I'm the only one who'd rather see Orlando in the first round...

Posted by: Mike in SD | April 14, 2008 7:56 PM

I agree with you, Mike in SD, I would rather not play the Cavs again in the first round, but it is already setup to be that way.

However, if we manage to beat them, it would be sweet and would get a monkey off our backs. Depending on how healty we end up being, it might be a series we can win.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 8:11 PM

"What is obvious also is that the Sixers were running Les BouleS out of the gym in the first half even with Gilby in the game" DC Man88

Again, what is obvious to you (with your twisted anti-Gilby bias) is NOT SO OBVIOUS when you examine what actually happened in the game...

As I explained in my earlier post:

Arenas came into the game with 4:16 left in the first quarter. The 76'ers already had 13 Fast Break points and were leading 19-12 (7-point lead). He left with 8:22 left in the 2nd Quarter with Philly leading 35-32 (3-point lead).

During the 8 minutes that Arenas was in the game in the first Half, the 76'ers scored 2 fast break points. REPEAT - the 76'ers scored 2 fast break points during the time that Arenas was in the game! They had 17 total Fast Break points at the Half. 28 for the game. NONE in the 4th Quarter. Gilbert Arenas played the entire 4th Quarter.

SO - not only did Arenas come in and help cut the Sixer's 7 point lead in the first half to only 3, but he was also part of the Defensive effort that slowed the Sixer's fast break.....

Posted by: Rook | April 14, 2008 8:38 PM

I know I should be focused on the playoffs or perhaps just the current game we are playing (according to EJ :-)), but I would really like to keep Roger Mason around next year, even if we have to go over the Luxury Cap to do it.

Posted by: Tim | April 14, 2008 8:51 PM

Posted by: Tim | April 14, 2008 8:51 PM

As long as Mason keeps making those 3s in the 4th I would love to have him.

Speaking of which, he just scored one.

Posted by: B.A.M. | April 14, 2008 9:00 PM

The players deserve a standing ovation for their effort through three quarters. I hope they can finish it off with a workmanlike fourth. What a tremendous job by the young guys on the team tonight.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 9:01 PM

Did Stevenson pick up a fresh injury in the game or is he voluntarily sitting down after playing 7:31 tonight?

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 9:06 PM

He left with a back problem.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:18 PM

Wow, the 76ers came back. What are the odds! lol.

Now if only they can win...

Posted by: B.A.M. | April 14, 2008 9:32 PM

Whole lot of kudos to Mason and the Wizards tonight, inspite of letting it get a little too close at the end. And how about those comeback 76ers! I hope LeBron missed the final shot, that would be great!

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 9:36 PM

Woo-hoo! Cavs lose by 1!

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 9:37 PM

Once again, Eddie Jordan is doing his best to lose this game for the Wizards. He almost blew a huge lead down the stretch again. Ivan, please tell me this, why is McGuire in the game when he shoots 47% at the line? Why are guys like Nick Young (82%) and Peterov (67%) sitting on the bench down the stretch? It doesn't make sense to me. I've criticized EJ before down the stretch and he's clearly being out coached in some games. He lucked out big time because Indiana made some key turnovers and missed some shots. Against a better team, EJ would've given that game away. If he doesn't make it to the second round, I think he has to go. I'm sick of being a good team.... I want a great team.

Posted by: disremembered | April 14, 2008 9:37 PM

Uhhhh... strike that????

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 9:40 PM

Hail the motherFUNking Sixers!! Funk funk da funk. Da king is on the ground.

Posted by: Cav | April 14, 2008 9:40 PM

Amen brother disremember...amen.

Posted by: oddjob | April 14, 2008 9:42 PM

Wow! Cleveland lost to the Sixers. Washington won over Indiana.

Perfect scenario. Jamison only played 31 minutes. Songaila only 30. Arenas and Butler rested.

Now we just have to close out with a big win over Orlando and hope Detroit brings their 'A' game to Cleveland.

Posted by: Rook | April 14, 2008 9:43 PM

Cleveland actually won the game.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 9:45 PM

Ok, so the Cav's slipped some money to the ref's and they got the win. Good news is, they can now afford to sit Jamison out against Orlando, and start the bench.

Unbelievable end in Philly.

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 9:45 PM

Still a good scenario. We can rest our nicked up players the rest of the week.

Posted by: Tim | April 14, 2008 9:46 PM

What happened, Yahoo (admittedly not the most reliable sports scoreboard) had the 76ers winning by one?

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 9:52 PM

Unbelievable....Did you hear the 76'ers were called back out of the lockroom, and the refs had reviewed and called a foul. Cavs make both free throws, go up by 1. Win it. Wizards at Cleveland Round 1. This is absolutetly ridiculous, the NBA needs the Cavs to get home court in the first round, so atleast the referees can make some what biased calls for the Cavs. They need Lebron to advance in the playoffs for the sake of the NBA....THE officiating in the NBA makes ME SICK. Come on DeShawn, get healthy and lets give the Cavs a full healthy dose of the Wizards in round 1!

Posted by: rock | April 14, 2008 9:52 PM

Well at least I can buy my tickets now that I have a good idea when we have our first home game.

Posted by: B.A.M. | April 14, 2008 9:55 PM

I hope whoever fouled Devin Brown got their money's worth, I am amazed it wasn't someone fouling LeBron.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 9:59 PM

Hey Disremembered Did they win? thats all that matters stop your couch potato coaching, this just in: Cavs win after game was seemingly over with two tenths of a second left a foul was called and DEVIN BROWN SANK TWO FREE THROWS,looks like David Stern and his minions are at work on behalf of LeBron won't help though home court won't do them any good. Now back to the EJ comments Dominic was in the game for rebounding and defense because Blatche had fouled out,lets stop being so critical and remember what this franchise was like before Eddie got here He is won of the best bench coaches around,and why pray tell would you have Pechorev in that situation after he had been sitting the whole game? They are in the playoffs for the fourth straight year and in my opinion are a lock to advance past the first round.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 14, 2008 10:02 PM

Neither Caron nor Gil were on the bench....what gives? It's our last home game! Etan was in attendance.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 10:02 PM

Sounded like Lebron actually got away with a shove on Dalembert in the final seconds. The Sixers were in the locker room for several minutes before the call came down. If this is the NBA's idea of fairness, they need to rethink how they operate.

What's especially unfair about it is all those fans in the stands who thought it was over. Then they're left in the dark, watching replays and watching the refs confer. You can't do that to the fans.

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 10:04 PM

Anyway, the Cavs need home court more than the Wizards do. If everyone's healthy and rested, this 1st round series could get out of hand. Seriously, we could be looking at double-digit wins.

Wizards in 5.

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 10:07 PM

I think it's a great strategy by DS. If Les BouleS get crushed by the Cavs in the playoffs, DS can go back to his previous whine and say "why is the King picking on little ole me? I make peanuts compared to him..."

If the Cavs lose, then he can claim the glory. By using DS as the court jester antagonizing Lebron, there's no pressure on AJ, Gilby, or Caron to back up their words.

I think it might work against Lebron. Comcast finally showed a video clip during the game!! Shocker!! And, it was of Lebron being pestered by the reporters about DS's words and Gilby's blog. Lebron didn't want to know until the playoffs started.

Now, it's up to Lebron to elevate his game. There's obviously more pressure on the Cavs compared to Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 10:08 PM

Young was on the bench because Jordan decided to go with the more veteran closers in Mason and Daniels. Pecherov was on the bench because he has yet to consistently demonstrate anything resembling a useful NBA skill. He's really looking like a wasted 1st round pick. McQuire was in the game because Blatche fouled out.

I haven't seen any of the Cavs/Sixers replays, but this sounds like some prime conspiracy theory fodder to me. Had the clock already gone off before they started reviewing the tape? Was the foul called before the horn sounded? I can't wait to hear Kornheiser and Wilbon go over this one on PTI.

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 10:16 PM

Are you serious? It doesn't take a hall of fame coach to put your best free throw shooters in the lineup when teams are going to foul you down the stretch. I don't care if you haven't played a second in the game, if you shoot 90% at the line, you should be in the game down the stretch.

"Young was on the bench because Jordan decided to go with the more veteran closers in Mason and Daniels."

You are correct... McGuire is a seasoned veteran. Check your facts man.

Posted by: disremembered | April 14, 2008 10:25 PM

"You are correct... McGuire is a seasoned veteran. Check your facts man."

Check your glasses, numbnuts. Did I say McGuire was a seasoned vet? Of course not. (The fact that McGuire's name didn't even appear in the line you quoted to support your *ahem* (cough, cough) "point" just makes you look doubly foolish, as daunting a prospect as that is.)

I said Jordan decided to go with more veteran players (Daniels and Mason) over a rookie (Young) at guard. I also said he went with McGuire at forward over Pech because Pech didn't play well when he was out on the floor.

How's that for "facts" genius?

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 10:34 PM

Down the stretch, you are up by 6 points, do you really agree with EJ playing a guy who shoots 43% at the line? I don't care if you play 5 guards or 5 centers in the lineup, you play your best free throw shooting team. It doesn't take a genius to take out your guys who can't shoot FTs. McGuire missed two free throws and EJ had his chance to remove him but he kept him in there. My point is "sweep the leg." Don't let this terrible Pacers team stay in the game b/c your players can't shoot free throws.

Why don't you ask Calipari how important free throw shooting is down the stretch.

Posted by: disremembered | April 14, 2008 10:45 PM

There are two wrongs here. EJ for keeping DMac in the game, and DMac's teammates for passing him the ball.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 10:47 PM

Kalorama said:

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 10:16 PM

The clock had sounded, the game was over. No foul was called before the horn, nor was a whistle blown anytime soon after. Cavs coach starts talking to ref's. Several minutes pass, Philly players have to return to the court. 4/10's of a second is put back on the clock and Devin Brown goes to the line. It definitely had the looked of a fix.

Posted by: satch | April 14, 2008 10:52 PM

I am really starting to dislike the Cavs. You got to admit that they get all the calls because of Lebron, with the NBA wanting him to become the next jordan. The league should not be giving him anything. How many times have we seen Lebron barely touch and the refs call a foul, or when he or one of his team mates foul another player and the refs act like they are blind. Or when Lebron step out of bounds on that baseline play a few years ago they did not bring the players back out. I hope the Wiz go to Cleveland and beat the hell out of them.

Posted by: d square | April 14, 2008 10:54 PM

Well, I guess two wrongs made a right, since the team won, that's all that matters, that and no one getting hurt... Enter DS. I meant no one getting hurt playing extended minutes (checking... checking...), yep, that's exactly what I meant.

Wednesday's game is now officially meaningless in the standings, so that probably means no Butler. Under no circumstances should Jamison, AD and Stevenson play more than 20 mins. However, if DS sits out, we'll be short on guards, even if Arenas plays. I'm ready for the second season...

Posted by: CN | April 14, 2008 10:55 PM

McGuire was likely in the game because the Pacers have several of 6' 8"+ guys who can handle the ball and hit 3s. Jordan wanted someone who could match up and force them to shoot over the top, but who was quick enough to stay in front of Granger or Dunleavy in case they tried to drive and draw a foul (which is why Haywood wasn't in). Again, if Blatche hadn't fouled out, he'd have been in the game.

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 11:04 PM

N.Young did not play much in the second half because when he played in the second half he quickly turned the ball over two times by dribbling out the shot clock -- the guy is streaky and sometimes like focus. He was focused in the first half and somehow lost it going into the second half. This is why he will not see many minutes in the playoffs.

Good to see Jamison not playing any defense tonight -- he was not even trying -- Dunleavy and Granger were blowing by him and bombing threes. Still, a nice win by the Wiz.

Posted by: Chad | April 14, 2008 11:04 PM

The number of uncontested 3s they gave up was a bit much, even for the Wiz. And it's not like the Pacers had a dreaded "small quick PG" to penetrate and dish. They were getting open spot up 3s in transition, even off Wizards makes. And when they did get penetration, it was mostly from Dunleavy, and frequently he took it all the way to the rim. Not good, even for the second to last game of the season.

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 11:12 PM

-----------------------

yea, he seemed to take off the first half of the 76ers game too. must be resting up for the playoffs.

Posted by: stevev | April 14, 2008 11:13 PM

Griping about Lebron and the calls he gets is a waste of time. Accept it.

Lebron is the future of the NBA and at 22, carried his team to the finals last year with zero college experience. Who else has done that?

If you think what you've seen is bad, hey, it could get even worse.

Stern needs to have the Cavs play the Celtics in the East and the Suns and the Lakers in the West.

BTW, looks like Big Z is getting back into the swing of things, and Delonte West is giving Danny Gibson time to rest up for the playoffs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:20 PM

Whining about Gilbert and his antics are a waste of time. Accept it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:39 PM

"Whining about Gilbert and his antics are a waste of time. Accept it.

Posted by: | April 14, 2008 11:39 PM "

It would be a waste of time if it didn't get all the panties worn by the bloggers here, including yourself, all bunched up.

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:45 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:49 PM

No, it's a waste of time any way you look at it. Anyways...

Is there a precedent for what happened tonight anyways? I always thought that plays weren't reviewed like that in the NBA...essentially, if the call wasn't given, then unless there was a breach of rules nothing could be done? Replay was essentially to determine the extent of a call/play, not whether one should be called? If so, then this really should be addressed, if no other reason than that it sets a really bad precedent for the future.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 11:52 PM

According to what the announcer said on the replay I saw, there was a whistle blown, but no one heard it. In a case like that, the refs can review the tape to see if the whistle was blown before or after time expired. If there was no foul called, then they absolutely can't go back and check the tape to see if there should have been one.

Posted by: kalorama | April 15, 2008 12:05 AM

screw the refs

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 12:35 AM

"And another thing - nice job by Gilby sitting out tonight and abandoning his teammates. How much money are you going to steal this year Gilby? You are barely playing half the game as it is. Get off the phone dictating your blog and get back on the court. He has got to be the laziest so-called superstar in the NBA.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:49 PM "

Again, I love it when someone posts using my name. It really does show that someone has bothered enough to try to pretend they are me.

The funny thing is that everything this anonymous person said is correct.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 12:57 AM

"No, it's a waste of time any way you look at it. Anyways...

Posted by: | April 14, 2008 11:52 PM "

It's a waste of your time reading it as you say, but you still read it!

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 12:59 AM

Lets see, less than 3 minutes left, the Wiz need ball handlers and decent free throw shooters and guys who can guard the perimeter. So why didnt EJ put in NY for DMac again? Name any other coach who leaves in a 47% FT shooter in that situation. I just think EJ is doing one of his immature BH-like doghouse deals with NY right now and didnt want to hurt DMac's feelings. Sure, EJ will lead us to the (disfuntional) promise land.

Posted by: oddjob | April 15, 2008 1:04 AM

We won the flippin' ballgame and YOU know absolutely NOTHING about coaching...but WHINING??? THAT you KNOW.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:13 AM

"It's a waste of your time reading it as you say, but you still read it!

LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 12:59 AM"

I didn't say it was a waste of time reading it, I said whining about Gilbert and his antics is a waste of time. You need to take some classes in reading comprehension.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:14 AM

And I said that as an extension of what you said, which is that griping about Lebron and the calls he gets (or doesn't get) is a waste of time.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:17 AM

"I've criticized EJ before down the stretch and he's clearly being out coached in some games." - disremembered

Great post, but you can't critically analyze EJ or GA in this blog or the "homers" like DarGreg will act like your the biggest traitor ever! I have been watching and supporting this team for 30 years and I'm tired of the excuses. Be happy with medoicrity with 3 all-stars, but I'm not. This team is capable of more injuries or not! The Skins don't get nearly as many excuses as this coach and team. I like the progress from years past, but making the playoffs and losing in the first round is not the goal in the NBA or any league. What would be the reaction if the Redskins had really good talent, but lost in the first round 3/4 years straight? I think the coach would be GONE!

Chad, I agree about Jamison. I stated in here recently that he has really been coasting the last 2/3 weeks on defense minus the Celtics game. He has reverted back to his defensive play over the course of his career. I hope it's just a resting mechanism from a long season. He needs to step it up for the postseason!

The 3 point defense or complete lackthereof is going to really hurt us in the playoffs. Look out for Szerbiak and "Boobie" Gibson in the playoffs!

NOBODY should play in the final game. Hell, forfeit it! LOL

Posted by: Rob P | April 15, 2008 1:51 AM

you guys are such homos. There was a foul call.. watch the ref behind the hoop. He puts his hand up, that means foul in the NBA. Then they went back to see if there was time left when the foul occurred. It did. No conspiracy, no fix.

And even if it is a big conspiracy, at least devin brown made the free throws. Unlike agent zero 2 years ago.. haha "you miss and its over"

wizards fans are almost worse than laker fans

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:04 AM

What is it with wizard fans NOT being able to see? You still complain about lebron traveling in that 2nd time 2 years ago. if you watch the replay, he almost doesnt even take more than 1 step after he dribbles.. its plain as day if you have working eyes. I realize his last dribble is kind of an awkward one to avoid defenders, but it still occurs.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:08 AM

actually, watch the replay and you'll see lebron traveling on that drive to the hoop right before time expired...but of course the refs don't call that

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:14 AM

Hey when the Wizards lose to the Cavs in the playoffs, at least you still have Nationals baseball to look forward too!! HAHA!

Posted by: The Diesel | April 15, 2008 2:15 AM

Nice to see some Cav's fans in the house. LOL

LeBron didn't travel like MJ didn't push off in the final over Utah! Please.

By the way, your TEAM sucks! Nice trade!

Just enjoy the finals appearance from last year bc it ain't happening again. The easiest road to the finals EVER!

Posted by: Rob P | April 15, 2008 2:26 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:49 PM "

The funny thing is that everything this anonymous person said is correct.

LMAO!

Someone now claims they are me calling out someone else who says they are me. You dumbasses are such IDIOTS!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:27 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:49 PM "

The funny thing is that everything this anonymous person said is correct.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:27 AM

LMAO! LMAO!

Someone who says they are me is calling someone out who says they are me called out by someone who says they are me. My Ass has vanished! You idiots are such guys!

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 4:50 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 11:49 PM "

The funny thing is that everything this anonymous person said is correct.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:27 AM

LMAO! LMAO!

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 4:50 AM

Do I really sound like a parrot all the time? Am I that obvious?

LMAO LMAO! no, LMAO!

LOL

Laura pick up that sock.

I can't believe that 4 people claiming to be me are calling each other out. This message board is becoming more like a Russian novel every day!

Posted by: DC man88 | April 15, 2008 4:56 AM

While it's true that complaining about it isn't likely to bring about any change, I just watched the last play of the Cavs-Philly game and it's amazing that the refs don't have the guts to call travelling on Lebron, even on the road, when it's that obvious. It wasn't a stutter step, foot-shuffling sort of travel. It was three full steps after picking up his dribble.

I love watching the NBA, but at some point they've got to reign in the superstar system and have the refs call games a bit more fairly. It was amusing to watch the same individuals, NBA refs, calling international games with the US team and actually calling travelling on guys like Wade and Lebron, so you know it's something going on at the league office.

In any event, it makes me concerned about the calls next week. As someone has already said, Stern definitely wants a Lebron-Celtics 2nd round matchup.

Posted by: AC | April 15, 2008 5:02 AM

LIVE FROM "HOMER CENTRAL" ITS THE DARGREGMAG SHOW TONITES GUEST MR.NEGATIVE(ROB P) ODDJOB, DISREMEMBERED, and a host of other Eddie Jordan critics,really gentelman you act as if Eddie's the worst coach in the league always second guessing him acting as if the other team is not paid to coach and win. I am not going rehash old blogs by pointing out how he has kept this team from falling apart given the injuries and lack of support from Ernie and Abe and slow starts from Darius and other members of the bench,after they win the series over the Cavs and advance then you can apologize!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 15, 2008 9:20 AM

GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No negativity or picking apart the teams from me. I am just glad that we are in the playoffs again despite what most thought was a futile season. And for those Jamison bashers, how soon we forget. Had it not been for him, we wouldn't be at this point. Bring on the Cavaliers! Ain't nobody afraid of BronBron. Stevenson called it out right. By the way, that game last night was for the rookies. They needed to be in the fire and respond and for the most part they did. And who cares whether Caron or Gil was on the bench? That is nitpicky crap. We still have some things that need to be honed on but I think once the playoffs start we will ALL be ready and rise to the occasion. GO WIZ!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 9:33 AM

Nick wasn't out of the game in the closing minutes last night because of any doghouse. It's because he was playing some poor rookie defense throughout the game, and made a couple of selfish Gilbert-like one-on-one moves earlier in the 4th when the game was tightening. That and because Blatche had fouled out, and they needed a little height and perimeter defense.

I had floor seats last night and spent a lot of time just watching D-Mac from up close. The guy plays some focused man defense, closes out well on the open shooter, and has an uncanny nose for the rebound and loose ball. The way he was playing on the defensive end, and with the long 3-point-shooting lineup the Pacers had on the floor, Eddie was right to stick with him.

You think Nick Young is the better choice just because he can sink free throws? How about defending bigger 3-point shooters, rebounding those missed 3-pointers, and not playing iso offense in the clutch?

Posted by: Prazak | April 15, 2008 9:39 AM

Where are all you Roger and DeShawn and Darius haters these days? Holed up with all the Juan Carlos Navarro fans somewhere?

Posted by: Prazak | April 15, 2008 9:42 AM

Folks, let's not get unhinged about LeBron. He's a fantastic player. I didn't think he traveled on that play at the end; in fact, I think he got fouled twice, and it wasn't called either time. To me, it seemed fair that the Cavs got free throws.

I also don't mind Cleveland with home-court; I'm pretty darn happy with the #5 seed, given the injuries the Wiz have fought through this year.

As for the series, I think the Wiz win in 5 or 6, if Caron and Gil both play in every game. Cleveland, IMO, isn't nearly the team they were last year -- and we played them pretty close without Caron and Gil. I see the Cavs having a better player at exactly one position, SF. And it's not as big an advantage as it would be against nearly any other team.

Our bench is significantly better than Cleveland's, as well. Who comes off the bench for the Cavs that provides what Blatche, Songaila, Mason and Young (and maybe Gil, if he doesn't start) do? Our bench is peaking right now. Cleveland's is a mess, and has been since the trade.

I doubt the Wiz will be overconfident because of what's happened the last couple of years in the playoffs, but you have to think Cleveland is worried. They're worse than they were last year, and the healthy Wiz are a lot better than they were.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 15, 2008 11:05 AM

I can't believe I am saying this, but Devin Brown was fouled, although I believe it when some of the other posters say that they missed a travel be LeBron.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 15, 2008 11:50 AM