Larry Hughes Back At Verizon Center

Soulja Boy wasn't the only special guest at Verizon Center last night. You may have noticed that former Secretary of State Colin Powell was in the building as well, wearing a Wizards "White Out" T-shirt to boot. Then, early in the first quarter, former Wizard and Cavalier and current Chicago Bull Larry Hughes grabbed a seat near the Wizards' bench.

C'mon, Andy. Stop flopping. (AP Photo/Mark Duncan)

Hughes was rocking a Yankees cap, instead of his usual St. Louis Cardinals one, but he also was wearing a white T-shirt - which was strictly coincidental, he said.

"I'm always in D.C.," Hughes said. "I still talk to all those guys. I'm here to support everybody. I just wanted to come out and see a good game. They've been battling a little bit, so I definitely knew it would be a good game."

But who does he want to win this series? "That's tough, man. That's tough," he said. "I really can't pick one."

I caught up with Hughes at halftime in the VIP section, where he was hanging out with Redskins running back Clinton Portis. By that time, his former teammate and friend Gilbert Arenas was already done for the night after experiencing another setback - a bone bruise - in his surgically repaired left knee.

Hughes has dealt with his share of injuries over his career and has been talking to Arenas all season about how to deal with it, suggesting that Arenas should've shut it down after having surgery in late November.

"I've been through that - trying to come back and trying to show that you want to fight and help the team," Hughes said. "You're obviously not going to come back and play as well as he has been all year. I told him just to chill out all year and make sure you come back healthy. But he chose to come back and he has to deal with it."

Gil, you don't have to play if you are really hurt, man. (Getty Images)

Hughes dealt with some serious hardships the past two times he made the postseason with the Cavaliers. He lost his little brother, Justin, two years ago during the Eastern Conference semifinals against Detroit.

Last season, Hughes suffered a torn plantar fascia in his left foot during the Eastern Conference Finals against Detroit. For the first time in his career, Hughes took cortisone shots in his foot to relieve the pain and continued to play until his body broke down completely in the NBA Finals and he painfully had to back out of the last two games.

Hughes spent a good portion of his 2 ½ seasons in Cleveland hurt and playing hurt, and he never found happiness there after leaving Washington in the summer of 2005 to sign an incentive-laden, five-year, $60 million contract with the Cavaliers. When he was traded to the Bulls at the trade deadline last February, Hughes made some comments to Brian Windhorst of the Akron Beacon Journal about leaving a contender in Cleveland to join a lottery team in Chicago that didn't go over too well with the folks in Ohio.

Here's what he said: "I play to enjoy myself, some people take this the wrong way, but winning a championship is not what I base everything on. I was given an opportunity to play basketball, travel around and have fun doing it and that's what I want to do. I wouldn't take being unhappy and not being myself and winning.

I'm not winning but I'm happier than I was in Cleveland. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

I would rather enjoy myself with 18,000-20,000 people watching the game and the people sending fan mail and those things and be happy ... I didn't come here to play the point guard, that's just it. I came here to run the wing, just like [LeBron James] was running the other wing. I was asked to sacrifice for the team to win and for everybody, I guess, get paid. That is what was told to me and I wasn't happy with that."

After saying that, some perceived Hughes as a player who would rather lose and have fun than win. Hughes said on Thursday that he didn't care how his words were interpreted.

"I didn't react, because like a week later, Steve Nash was on ESPN giving the same interview," Hughes said. "He said it didn't matter, that it didn't justify his career to win a championship. All I was really saying is, 'Yeah, I want to win. Yeah, I go out every night and try to get the win, but I want to have fun doing it.' "

I asked Hughes why he was unhappy in Cleveland. I knew full well that he wanted to play an open, fast-breaking offensive style similar to what Eddie Jordan ran in Washington. Instead, Cleveland ran a slow, boring half-court offense that often featured LeBron James dribbling at the top of the key and kicking it to Hughes in the corner to launch jumpers. Uh, that was not going to work for someone who could do a lot well on the basketball court - other than shoot.

"It wasn't my style of basketball," Hughes said. "It wasn't how I enjoy playing. Nothing against what they are doing over there, it just wasn't how I thought I would go over there and play."

Hughes was a poor fit in Cleveland. He didn't like it. The fans didn't like him. One fan even created this website.

I know I wouldn't have called you overrated. (Photo by Tony/cavaliers.com)

The trade that yielded Wally Szczerbiak, Ben Wallace, Delonte West and Joe Smith was made specifically to get rid of Hughes. The organization grew frustrated because Hughes couldn't stay healthy, couldn't play point guard, or shooting guard, or sixth man, or shooting guard again. Every experiment failed until the Cavs decided it was time to move on. Yes, the Cavaliers wanted to give James a better supporting cast - and it's debatable if that really has happened - but they really just want to say farewell to Hughes.

Being out of the playoffs for the first time in four years, Hughes said it was painful to watch the Wizards and Cavaliers go at it and not be a part of it.

"We'll be back," Hughes said. "The team I'm playing on will be back in the playoffs soon. You have to step away from it and really realize what you're missing. I've watched every game so far."

As Hughes spoke, a Wizards fan walked up to Hughes and said, "We miss you, Larry. We want you back."

Hughes smiled at the fan and said, "That might still happen."

By Michael Lee  |  April 25, 2008; 6:54 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stunning turnaround
Next: Friday update

Comments

Go Wiz !

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

He never should have left here. Of course, had he stayed it's likely they wouldn't have gotten Butler, but he should have taken a bit less money and stayed here.

Posted by: TG | April 25, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I've always been a fan of Larry, and I think the last two sentences of the above blog might make me like him even more.

That said, I don't think he'd be an improvement over DS. Deshawn maybe streaky and unsure in the playoffs, but he is a warrior. He's shown himself to be tough, both physically and mentally. While I don't agree that King James is overrated, I love that DS had the balls to say it.

Posted by: Lou | April 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Coincidentally, Les BouleS haven't sniffed 2nd round of playoffs since LH left.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

DS is a bench guy in this league. LH is a starter.

BTW, great piece by Mike Lee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ted | April 25, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: misguided bullets | April 25, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Once again GILLY pack your bags!!! Its all over

Posted by: Beas | April 25, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

It was really great to see Larry there last night!! Wish he had stayed here! He was great for us, and played off Gil really well.

I don't think keeping Hughes would of had anything to do with Caron being here as posted above. We got Caron for Kwame.

Posted by: Darnell | April 25, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"Larry said Gilbert should've sat the rest of the season. Did he want to sabotage the Wiz or really help out his friend? The way it looks, Gilbert might want to just let his teammates get these wins without him and not ruin his career for some playoff run to nowhere. Does he think the Wizards are going to win a championship? Unless he does, Gilbert shouldn't kill himself to play. Thoughts?

Posted by: misguided bullets | April 25, 2008 9:06 AM "

As Gilby said when he came back....it's pressure to show that he's worth max money....it's all about money...not about winning championships.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

"Agree, nice pice by Mike Lee. Losing Hughes hurt at the time, but you can't be disappointed with the results since then. That contract would have been killer for us had he agreed to our offer. Sometimes, not getting what you want is actually better.

Posted by: Ted | April 25, 2008 9:01 AM "

True, but organizations get nowhere by letting free agents and draft picks...guys that other teams want....to walk without some sort of compensation.

EG looked totally blindsided when LH decided to walk after EG lowballed him. Les BouleS were left with nothing when LH, Jared, and Jarvis left.

Jared and Jarvis leaving was not earth shattering for Les BouleS, but what it did mean was that those two draft picks were wasted because they were not draft worthy to begin with, or Les BouleS didn't do enough to develop their own players.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Larry Hughes is yesterday's news. While it's cool to know he's supporting us (he would have sat by the Cavs bench if he was supporting them), we may as well talk about Jared Jeffries or Elvin Hayes. We don't want Larry, we don't need Larry. He's a brittle version of Caron Butler. he may be good or even very good for 50-60 games a year but at least DS shows up to play every night. I'll take consistently average over occasionally great.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert came back to help the team, he didnt listen to Larry because he wanted to play ball. That being said, great to see Larry and he should have stayed here.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"but at least DS shows up to play every night. I'll take consistently average over occasionally great.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM "

mark lost all credibility with that DS comment. I guess mark didn't see games 1 and 2, or last year's playoffs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I really like the way that Caron and Larry play and they both seem like great guys, but a team with both of them in the starting line up would be lucky to get 100 combined games per regular season between the two of them.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Once again GILLY pack your bags!!! Its all over

Posted by: Beas | April 25, 2008 9:10 AM

Regarding Larry, there's no way we could have the roster we have now if we signed Larry to that big contract. And we wouldn't have enough money to sign Jamison and Gilby next year. Plus I would rather have Caron than Larry.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

As Gilby said when he came back....its pressure to show that he's worth max money....it's all about money...not about winning championships.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:21 AM

I agree. It's a shame that he is worried about the money. With his talents, the money will come; all he needs to do is help the team WIN!!!!!!

P.S The refs finally called a traveling violation :)

Posted by: bullets_0000 | April 25, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Here's to Chicago buying out Larry's gi-normous contract and him signing with the wiz for the vet's minimum.

Posted by: Bobtimist | April 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, right, Larry is still shooting 32% in Chicago. Yeah, he is great.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

the dude is never happy. How can you not be happy playing with LeBron? He just could not produce. He is in Chicago saying that he may be back in Washington. How does his current team feel about that? Not a team guy at all. All about himself and his money. The offense in Cleveland may have been one thing but the system didnt tell him to miss all those shots and get injured every year.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Now he says it's not about winning a championship or about the money, it's about having fun. Too bad he didn't feel that way when he huffed away from a great situation here in DC. He's grown up since he left.

I like Larry but there's no way he's coming back to the Wiz on his current contract.

And DCMan, do you honestly believe Larry was the difference between the 2nd round and the 1st round of the playoffs? Would he have done any better against LeBron two years ago? And what about the injuries last year? There was a lot more in play than just Larry skulking away.

Posted by: Prazak | April 25, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm a pathetic Cleveland Fan. Can I please post on your blog? It's the only we can feel good about ourselves and city. We get happy about small accomplishments such as a 2-0 series lead to over compensate for the fact that our pathetic city hasn't been able to win ANY sports Championships. On top of all that, Lebron will opt out and leave us just like the Browns did. We won't have anyone else's nutz to slurp on anymore. I hope you understand. You will be seeing us around your blog a whole lot, we got 50 years to make up.

I know you guys won big tonight, but I'm sure me and other pathetic Cleveland Fans will continue to come to your site and talk trash. We talk trash even though our city hasn't won any championships, so why stop even if we got our butts kicked by 36 pts.

Posted by: Cleveland Fan | April 25, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:21 AM

P.S The refs finally called a traveling violation :)

Posted by: bullets_0000 | April 25, 2008 9:53 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"I believe an healthy Gilby has helped this team win. A game winning shot against Chicago to advance to the 2nd round. If that's not helping your team to win, I dont know what is. If leading your team to the best record in the Eastern Conference last year until injuries is helping your team win.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:29 AM "

No way...Gil was in game 1 and 2, and we still lost. He was hurt game 3, and we won.

Gil, please shut it down!

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"I'm a big Larry fan, and he's a wonderful, slashing SG that fit really well alongisde Gil. But he's a fool at the business of basketball. Ernie made him a low offer, and instead of countering he walked, even after Ernie put his full offer on the table. It's a business negotiation, not an ego exercise; don't get all insulted and walk when the first offer isn't what you want.

Posted by: Prazak | April 25, 2008 10:20 AM "

The reason why Larry didn't want to negotiate was because he had more pressing concerns on his mind, like his brother's health. His bro eventually died. Larry said he just wanted to move on, and had a figure in his head.

When Larry was on the team, they beat the Bulls in the playoffs, but eventually lost to the championship Heat. Larry was big against the Bulls.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

"I hope Gilby comes back better than ever next year. If he's healthy next year, and the big 3 stay healthy 85% of the year, we woul definitely make the Eastern Conference Finals.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:52 AM "

Will never happen because of the Curse of Les Boulez.

Posted by: Lisa | April 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Man oh man was that game fun to watch. I wonder what the folks who were calling for Eddie's head are saying now???? My only problem I had with Eddie back in the past was the fact that he would not give Haywood a fare shot because Etan and Ruffin were here to use.

Now that Haywood is getting his minutes I don't have any problems with the coach. The dude is a heck of a coach and some of the folks calling for his removal need to look at that request again.

That I can't "lay wood to their behind, but I can lay their behind to the wood" (if I got it right) was a great quote. He let them know he was running the show and if you was a starter you could sit too.

It wasn't Eddie's fault they lost that 2nd game it was the players not running the offense, the officials calling a "mo" changing game, and not playing rotating defense as they should. The coach told them what to do, but they did not do it in game 2.

Eddie made his point with game 3, and "poof" you get this great performance. Love your rotational calls Eddie, keep up the good work brother...!!!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

As for Larry, I always liked his game and he was great here with Gil. But I must admit I have become a DStevenson fan. I always liked Mason, so with all that I like that combo the Wiz have.

There is no more room for another 2 on the team at Larry's salary anyway. So what kind of contract is Mason going to demand now, 3 years 9 mil or 12 mil? The dude has earned it. I did not know he had the handle he has and that he could attack the rim in a playoff game ( I saw him do it in the regular season). EG pay the man....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 25, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight, Bullets Fever: Eddie Jordan is responsible for wins, but has no responsibility for losses?

Nice work if you can get it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think Bullets Fever had a problem with EJ's misuse of BTH and now that EJ is using him more, he doesn't have that problem. I know that Keithinator, Bullets Fever#1 and I have been saying since the season started that BTH was the answer for us in the middle and needed more time. It should be clear to even the harshest BTh critics that the guy can play. He's not able to do much when Z starts shooting outside jumpers but who in the league can stop a 7'3" jump shooter? I said at the beginning of the season and I still say now...Brendan Haywood is a top 5 center in this league (probably 5) and the only thing preventing him from being top 3 is inconsistent rebounding. More minutes,confidence from his coach and offseason work could probably fix that.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

quick sidecomment from the game last night. i complained earlier in the week that the wiz were being cheap with their whiteout by asking people to weat their own white shirts and not providing cool playoff white shirts.
well ladies, the wiz read these posts and heard my cry.
and last night at the booth, they provided white playoff shirts to every1 plus a playoff towel.
so the wiz did the right thing.
great game, great time and verizon is still one of the best places eva to see a game with the family.
total fun.
go wiz.

Posted by: dk | April 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:24 AM

Larry wasn't lowballed. The Wizards actually offered close to $70 million to keep him. It wasn't the initial offer, but it's one that the Wizards eventually reached. I think Hughes was upset that Washington didn't offer him that much to start, so he jumped on Cleveland's offer immediately.

As for the draft picks, they were wasted when the Wizards selected Arvis and Jeffries. And what trade value would they have brought. In the case of Arvis, he was coming off surgeries and bad knees. Wizards would've gotten nothing for him. In the case of Jeffries, EG planned to resign him, probably thinking no team would offer him the kind of money the Knicks did. Jeffries would still be in Washington if not for Isiah's ridiculous contract offer. So it's hard to blame the Wizards for not getting anything back in return for those two guys.

Posted by: Colin | April 25, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

i liked larry hughes a lot, but not at the contract he was looking for. for the money, DS is a much better value. he also is a better spot up outside shooter, which is huge with players that drive a lot like butler and arenas.

and while he may not get the steals like larry did, i think he's a better man defender. larry was just amazing at shooting the gaps on passes (which butler has become very efficient at, as well)

as for possibly losing mason, it's bound to happen if we keep both arenas and jamison, but that's why we have nick young around. he may not have the experience yet, but he clearly brings all the same skill sets as mason. ball-handling, drives to the basket, outside shooting. and he even can add a little post up game.

what we need to think about in the draft is perhaps a young true pg, because AD isn't getting any younger. not sure who will be around for us to grab. but there might even be some young free agents out there, like kyle lowry. i mean memphis has 3 young pgs, so you gotta wonder if that plan on resigning him.

Posted by: JC | April 25, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Just don't bring JCN here from memphis no matter what happens. OVER-RATED !

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

JC,

Kyle Lowry would be a great addition. He's tough, unselfish, and plays D. We should find a way to keep Mason, he is a hometown kid who found a niche on our team. You can never have enough shooters.

Now let's talk game 4. With or without GA, the Wiz should be brimming with confidence and will require the same type of energy that was there last night. Any one who thinks the Cavs won't come with a far superior effort in game 4 is a fool. They got embarrassed (as we did in game 2, and look how we responded) and will come out heated. Queen James is a good enough player to win games with even the smallest bit of help, so our effort has to be even more concentrated than in game 3.

Rise up to the next level, if we can win game 4, the Cavs will fall apart. Mark my words, Mike Brown (he of the 21-15 playoff record Browns) is a waste of a coach. His coaching consists of one thing, defend the meal ticket, keep the meal ticket happy. He should find a way to get the most out of his "role players" but he won't. Ask Cavs fans, you won't find any that like him.

I also found it funny that all these Cavs fans are very quiet today. They attacked D-Steve who never clamied anything about his play (only that the Queen is overrated) but he played very well last night. I wonder is Cavs fans would rather have him over Devin Brown, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Wally zzzzerbiak, or Billy Thomas (who couldn't stick with the Wiz, but now gets playoff minutes on the Cavs)? While am at it (and I'll admit I'm bias) I would take D-Steve over delonte west, and Boobs Gibson. He's a tough defender who requires no shots to be involved in a game, and after last night, he resembles Mr. T (Mohawk, bum beard, all that was missing was the gold chains)

Wiz in 6.

Posted by: DC The Kid | April 25, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 11:46 AM

I love BTH when he is on. His problem is consitency in multiple aspects of his game, but you're right that rebounding is one of them. He improved his free throw shooting immensely this season, which gave him a big boost. Top 5 center in the NBA? Sorry, but no way.

The Wizards have had to deal with the fact that they have two average centers instead of one great one. Etan and BTH are both hot and cold. Not knowing how to dole out the minutes made the problem worse, especially since the two of them weren't known to get along. I wish both of them the best, but just going with Haywood and giving Andray minutes at the 5 this season seems to have worked pretty well.

Posted by: gophercrow | April 25, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

He's only getting paid $538k this season, unlike DS who has almost the same stat line (31 minutes), but gets paid 3.3 mil.

Not even close to Gil's $12 mil and only playing 13 games.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Look Larry did well for the Wizards but given his injury history paying him $70 million would've been a mistake. I hope things get a lot better for him in Chicago. The misuse of Larry shows what an inflexible and bad coach Mike Brown is.

As for the young true PG, you are correct JC and Kyle Lowry would be good to have. What does the board think of drafting D.J. Augustin in the first round.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

So, given Gilby's injury history, it seems like a mistake to resign him also, especially for "max money."

1. Knee Surgeries (2x)
2. Bone Bruise in knee
3. Strained limp wrist
4. Dislocated Clavicle
5. Abdominal strain

What's going on with Gilby? Isn't he sleeping in that oxygen chamber anymore? Lisa, got a clue?

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:29 AM "

Gil, please shut it down!

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 10:50 AM

Gilby, please keep fighting and contribute as much as you can.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 10:56 AM

Gilby was BIGGER

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Larry was a good player bordering on all star while he was here because of the system. In this system we ran a lot more and everybody could get involved and could drive on their own accord. In Cleveland they slow it down and have Lebron break down the defense and then dish out. Larry is not, I repeat not a good shoot, he is a great slasher and this did not help him in Cleveland.

Had he stayed here he would have been an all star and because of that he should have taken the money and been happy being considered one. However even the amount of money that EG offered him initially was too much.

And DC Man88, why are you comparing LH to DS. First of all in this system LH was more consistent but individually he is nowhere near the shooter that DS is. And also, LH should not be compare to DS as that is not the one who replaced him. Instead he should be compared to CB3 seeing as how we got him to fill the hole.

In retrospect, I am happy Larry left because that was the best thing that could have happened to this team(After Kwame for Butler. Oh and Kwame has the highest trade value in the NBA for someone who has proven nothing in this league).

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I like Augustin, but I'm not sure that he'll be around when we have a pick. I'd talke Chalmers also. Not a prototype PG, but in EJ's offense, we don't need John Stockton, we need someone who can intiate the offense, and I think Chalmers can do that. He also plays great D, which could give a good boost to our team. We have players who score the ball.

Posted by: DC The Kid | April 25, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

We already have enough guards and AD already fills the running the offense role. We need another big man. Haywood is nice but blatche gets in foul trouble to much and after that we give up about 2 inches on anyone else. This includes Etan Thomas.

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

1. Knee Surgeries (2x)
2. Bone Bruise in knee
3. Strained limp wrist
4. Dislocated Clavicle
5. Abdominal strain

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 12:51 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

There is no addition by subtraction when it comes to Gilbert. He was our best player in game one. Sure he hasn't been at full strength, but you still have to get up on him. It's not as if the defense can sag off of him.

You can't make the comparison of him playing in games 1 and 2 and the Wiz lose, and then he plays 10 mins in game 3 and we win. No one on our team played well in game two (or really game 1,which we had ample opportunity to win) so to suggest that Gilbert is the main reason for a 30 point loss is ridiculous. I'd take 20-25 mins of this Gilbert coming off the bench any day.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"Agreed, especially if gil is being honest about letting the team sign Jamison first

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:02 PM "

Gotta doubt that.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"That's just like saying don't sign Amare because he had microfracture. look how that turned out. Do whatever it takes to keep Gilby and Jamison.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM "

Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Since we don't seem to have any Cleveland trolls posting today, here's a typical post from the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Cavs blog:

Posted by klumpis on 04/24/08 at 11:55PM

In my 40+ years of watching Cleveland's professional sports teams, I've come to gain a sixth sense as to knowing when a butt-kicking is on the horizon. I've rarely been wrong. I had a feeling the Cavs were not only going to lose tonight, but they were possibly gonna get run out of the gym. For starters, the Cavaliers aren't good enough to put the Atlanta Hawks in a 3-0 hole, let alone the Wizards. The Cavs are what they are -- a team that lives off the mojo of one player, and if he ain't feeling it on a given night, the entire team goes into a trance.

Lebron, yes the King, seemed like had a case of the yips tonight as in -- he was playing tentative in front of a raucous crowd and a group of Wizards who were praying they could b the one to knock Lebron's head off his shoulders when he drove the lane. When the deficit on the scoreboard began to increase ahd the Cav's testerone began to decrease, you could sense the Wizards wanted to humiliate the Cavaliers. Mission accomplished.

Lebron and The James Gang better re-attach their spine before Game # 4, or another 36 point drubbing awaits.

Posted by: John Brisker | April 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

kid,

i agree ,keeping mason would be great, i just think he'll be out of our price range, especially if last night ends up being the norm for him during these playoffs.

but at least we have someone in the wings who is capable of bringing the same things. and in another year or two, we'll have to decide about resigning young. and AD's contract will be up. i just don't want us overpaying for role players anymore. etan thomas was just a terrible contract and we way overpaid for AD (until this year, when he really came through for us). and songaila's contract was a bit much too, in my mind, considering he gave us nothign the first year, and we have young guys like blatche and pescherov who need minutes to develop.

as for the series, i think we have to win the next 3 games. we don't want this series coming down to us having to win the last 2 games in a 7 game series. not against a team that has a player who can pretty much will himself to the line for 30+ shots if he so chooses.

either that ,or we have to make the one game we lose so exhausting for him that he comes out flat for the last game (somehow i don't see that happening though).

Posted by: JC | April 25, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Gotta doubt that.

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 1:06 PM

Deep down I agree with you but all we have now is his word and he has to understand that all of these injuries and such are hurting his value. Why not stay, get paid, and help us get to the playoffs.

Also, he holds DC in the palm of his hands. And for all of you Gil haters who disagree then you tell me why the crowd went absolutely crazy when he was introduced into the starting lineup. Trust me I was at the game.(By the way, anyone who says that DC is not a basketball town should have been at the game yesterday. You could not hear yourself think)

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby."

Do you watch basketball? Amare is a great player, but he doesn't play defense.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM "

Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 1:07 PM

Are you kidding me? Do you know anything about basketball or even atleast listen to analysts? Amare is one of the worst big man defenders. He only gets block shots off the weak-side. That is the reason they brought in Shaq. That is the reason why every big man always kills the suns. They always say Amare's biggest weakness is defense, and if you see any of their games you can see it. What a joke?

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

verizon was stra8 out rocking last night. place was electric. and this was probably as good as ive eva seen the wiz play in a game that really meant somethin. unbelieveable time last night.

Posted by: dk | April 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

JC,

Right on, I like the thinking of many of our signings, but the results have not been there. I love Etan, but his contract is large for a player who contributes what he does. AD is a good signing because he is a respected leader and true professional. He is what this team needs. Songalia (in theory) is a hustle player with a spot up jumper. That sounds like a perfect fit for our team, but all too often he has not performed to his contract.

As for Nick Young. First of all, love the high top fade. Secondly, I was hyped when we picked him, he will be a great player in this league, maybe not a perenial all-star, but in his prime I think we can expect 16-19 ppg, and many highlight dunks (youtube him dunking on LeBron in Cleveland if you ever need a pick me up), but he's not there yet.

Young, Blatche, and Petch are all young guys who need mins. but also need guys like AD to teach them how to be a professional. I think EG has done a good job meshing old with young, to the point that it won't be necessary to have the "elder statesmen" around.

I also don't want a 7 game series, but do think that we could/would win. I honestly feel that we are a better team than the Cavs and that over 7 games, the best team will win.

Posted by: DC The Kid | April 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Amare plays defense if you call defense getting a SportsCenter block by coming over on someone elses man once every ten games. He is terrible at man to man defense and has zero interest in improving.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"Do you watch basketball? Amare is a great player, but he doesn't play defense.

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 1:11 PM"

What a coincidence. Neither does Gil.

Posted by: Luke | April 25, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

For everyone saying that they hope this is not a 7 game series, I just don't want a 5 game series.

By the way does anyone know how long Etan has on his contract. It was a bad idea to sign him to such and untradable contract. However this is the only bad move that EG has made since coming here. In Ernie we trust.

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Do you watch basketball? Amare is a great player, but he doesn't play defense.

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 1:11 PM"

What a coincidence. Neither does Gil.

Posted by: Luke | April 25, 2008 1:23 PM

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Well I also don't see Amare scoring 60. I would much rather have someone scoring 30 and giving up 22 than have someone score 25 and give up 26.

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:26 PM "

Maybe Amare would score more if he touched the ball at every possession, but he doesn't.

Posted by: Rufus | April 25, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rufus | April 25, 2008 1:27 PM

You have to compare players to others at their respective position. Arenas is the top one or two point guards in the NBA after maybe chris paul. Amare follows Duncan, KG, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Bosh, and Dwight Howard. He is only steps ahead of Elton Brand and Pau Gasol.

Posted by: Alex | April 25, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Luke,

Everyone knows that Gil could/should step up his defensive intensity, but the comment was "Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby." (rook). Everyone is pointing out that the original comment is offbase, not the response. No one is arguing that Gil is Joe Dumars on defense, but to imply that Amare plays D shows a lack of knowledge.

Posted by: DC The Kid | April 25, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

DC Lady88 said:
"If EG kept his promise and not played Abe games, then LH would still be here. It's a pattern with Abe, and the reason for the Curse of Les BouleS....all starting with the Big E."

How insanely stupid are you? Hughes was the one who f'ed up. The Wizards offered him what he was worth, and he got insulted and walked away from the table. Cleveland gave him what he wanted and suffered for it.

And what, exactly, is a pattern with Abe? This team has never been afraid to pay players. What examples do you give? Jared Jeffries? Seriously? You still think he was worth the MLE?

I see the "88" in your name, and then the Abe hate, and it makes me wonder about some things...

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The Cavs were surprised by the Wizards defending at or near midcourt line body up, so far out from the key area - the opposite of what they had been doing the whole year which is to defend close to the key area about four feet away. And then the defender used to keep sagging until someone like Lebron could just step one past him. Last night they really kept close with their constantly moving hands swatting away the ball, and traps for the ball handler. The Cavaliers will review that tape and try to counter that - they're going to be ready.

Hopefully the Wizards can come up with enough mismatches to continue their "new" defense style and get lots of Cavs turnovers.

Posted by: rgz | April 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Fans are forgetting that we signed AD after Hughes signed with Cleveland. He was offered an outrageous contract by the Cavs who later regretted it. We're a better team with AD, DeShawn, and Mason than we would have been with Hughes playing opposite Agent Zero.

I think Hughes played great when he was here and signed with a team where he was a bad fit from Day One. He needs to be with an uptempo team where he can use his skills. If he had accepted a little less money, he would still be a Wizard. EG did not lowball Hughes; he gave him an offer that was market value but the Cavs overpaid. People also forget that he had his best seasons playoff next to GA!!!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 25, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I made a post the other day describing some hypothetical drafts and deals the Wiz could consider IF the went out in 4 or 5 games... a situation that would demand some clear restructuring.

However, if we take this series as many people, myself included, have believed all along, and make a decent showing against the Celtics... then we have to think a lot harder about taking the tax hit to retain all of our current core players including Roger Mason Jr and draft either a PG (I see that Augustin declared) to bring along as an eventual replacment for AD or a Roy Hibbert as a "student" and downstream replacement for BTH.

These are issues to be resolved in June rather than May, hopefully.

Posted by: khrabb | April 25, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"Do you watch basketball? Amare is a great player, but he doesn't play defense.

Posted by: | April 25, 2008 1:11 PM"

What a coincidence. Neither does Gil.

Posted by: Luke | April 25, 2008 1:23 PM

That wasn't me?

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Rook, Juan Carlos Navarro is an undersized streak shooter who can't create his own shot and gets torched on defense. He might get his 11 ppg but how many does he give up? Have you watched the guy play?

Interesting to see which direction Ernie goes this year: Wiz could use both a point guard and a big man.

Posted by: Prazak | April 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Do you watch basketball? Amare is a great player, but he doesn't play defense."

This was my comment

Posted by: DC The Kid | April 25, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Not even close to Gil's $12 mil and only playing 13 games.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 12:41 PM

That wasn't me. Must be DC Idiot using other's names again...

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

khrabb, even if they beat the Cavs and put up a good fight against the Celtics, that still doesn't mean that this team is a sure enough future contender that changes shouldn't be considered. The injuries, the inconsistencies, the depth issues will still be concerns. If this team is serious about becoming a contender, changes are going to be needed. That doesn't mean blowing up the team, but no matter what happens (short of actually winning the title) standing pat for the sake of "continuity" is a questionable strategy at this point.

Posted by: kalorama | April 25, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: George Templeton | April 25, 2008 12:47 PM

If the Wiz can't make a deal this summer for a young PG (Lowry), then I think Darren Collison from UCLA would be a better fit. He's bigger (although still a small PG at 6' 1", and only 165 lbs), plays better defense, and is a hard worker. His shot needs work. He is ranked above Augustin in almost all the mock drafts I've seen.

Both Collison and Augustin should be available when the Wiz pick.

I also wouldn't mind if the Wiz picked Roy Hibbert; providing they somehow get rid of Etan Thomas and his contract (trade?)....

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 1:07 PM

Again, I did not post this.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"That wasn't me. Must be DC Idiot using other's names again...

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:30 PM "

This wasn't me.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:01 PM "

Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 1:07 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 1:12 PM

That's really funny. DC Idiot posting as me.... then posting a rebuttal....

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

By the way, it seems that DC Idiot has started posting using my name.

I've been posting here long enough, that most of you know that I post comments with at least a modicome of thought behind them.... I don't use the name "Gilby". That I am a true Wizards fan. I am a fan of Gilbert Arenas, and think the Wizards should re-sign him (AND Jamison). I think that JCN jobbed Ernie Grunfeld, and don't care much for his game (or lack thereof), his negotiation tactics, or his ethics. I do watch other teams in the NBA and consider myself at least somewhat up to date on other players; including their strengths and weaknesses.

So, completely STUPID posts like:
"How is JCN overrated? He played all 82 games and averaged almost 11 points in 26 minutes."
"Amare plays offense and defense. He's not one dimensional like Gilby."

are completely out of character, compared to what I usually post. They are NOT however, out of character for a certain other juvenile idiot who frequents (and mostly takes over) this blog.

I have sent a complaint to the Washington Post - that contrary to the stated rules of this blog, someone is co-opting other's blog ID's to post.

Posted by: Rook | April 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | April 25, 2008 9:29 AM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 25, 2008 9:37 AM

And you obviously didn't see Wade torched the cr@p out of Larry after they beat the Bulls that first year.

Talk about lack of credibility! LMAO You've lost it ever since you've started posting on here.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 25, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"You have to compare players to others at their respective position. Arenas is the top one or two point guards in the NBA after maybe chris paul" - Alex

I want what your smoking! Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Chauncy Billups, Jose Calderon, Jason Kidd (maybe not anymore) - are all better PG's than Arenas. Ehh...Calderon maybe maybe not....I'll take him for the money! Oh, Allen Iverson still has game. Anyway, that is a ridiculous comment!

Posted by: Rob P | April 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Rook,

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Etan to get traded. by all accounts Grunfeld tried last summer, to no avail. He's likely to remain a Wizard until the final year of his contract, at which point his expiring deal becomes a valuable trade asset. And, frankly, they'd be better off waiting because if they did manage to trade him now (and there really are no untradeable NBA contracts) they'd have to take back pennies on the dollar (most likely in the form of someone else's bad contract. They'll get more for him if they wait.

Posted by: kalorama | April 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Least I forget Tony Parker! Take him any day to go with CB and AJ.

Posted by: Rob P | April 26, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Least I forget Tony Parker! Take him any day to go with CB and AJ.

Posted by: Rob P | April 26, 2008 12:14 AM

That's because you are in IDIOT

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 26, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse