Monday update

Neither Caron Butler (right knee bruise) nor Gilbert Arenas participated in this morning's shootaround and it's possible that both could miss tonight's game against Indiana. Arenas, who was brilliant in the fourth quarter of Saturday's win over Philly, would be held out for precautionary reasons.

The Wizards are locked into no worse than the fifth-seed and need two wins combined with two Cleveland losses to overtake the Cavs for fourth-place. The Cavs almost made things very interesting by nearly losing to the awful Heat last night but pulled out an 84-76 win. That team is not playing well.

The Cavs finish up with a game at Philly tonight and a game at home against Detroit on Wednesday so it's possible that they could drop both games and open the door for the Wizards.

Indiana needs two wins and two Atlanta losses to get the 8th and final spot in the East.

By Ivan Carter  |  April 14, 2008; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Key fourth quarter
Next: Arenas and Butler out

Comments

Welcome back Ivan and thanks for the update. We missed you insightgul commentary while you were gone.

GO WIZ!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I meant your insightful commentary.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Tony K. had an interesting comment on FCP this past weekend. He was asked about the teams that made big trades at the deadline, and how those trades haven't panned out. Tony K. responded that these trades for those teams were made for success in the playoffs, not necessarily in the regular season. Interesting. I wonder if the Cavs and Mavs will come together by the time the playoffs start.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Definitely makes sense for Butler to sit out tonight. Shouldn't play our starters more than 30 mins, but we shall see, even with homecourt still TBD.

This team will definitely and has shown significant strides of coming together all season, so there's no reason to think things will change come playoff time.

Posted by: CN | April 14, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I say we start off with our normal rotations, then check the scoreboard to determine what we do. If Cleveland is winning, go ahead and rest our key guys. But if Cleveland is in a close one, or losing, let's go all out for homecourt.

Posted by: playoff beard | April 14, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder if the Cavs and Mavs will come together by the time the playoffs start."

Anything's possible, but Kidd and Wallace are shadows of their former selves. Kornheiser can spin it all he wants, but I doubt the Cavs or Mavs would have bothered making these trades if they could have seen how little they helped their teams during the regular season. Unless Kidd really blows up in the playoffs, the Mavs may have done serious damage to their franchise. The Cavs, I think, just made a move for the sake of making a move and didn't really make themselves better or worse in the process. They really seem to be sqandering the opportunities having Lebron provides them.

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 14, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The heat aren't playing well, that must be killing " ".

I didn't think the wiz had a shot at 4 left, but man that would be something. Still I'd rather be careful with out guys than sacrifice our playoff ability.

Posted by: sodumb | April 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert better play...I have him in may fantasy lineup and its championship week. That pile let me down all year...I'm sure he'll do it again.

Posted by: Chad | April 14, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Granger's going to cause some match up problems especially if Songalia or Jamison will be on him. Maybe DS will be assigned to him? Either way, he should be getting his, so I hope Dunleavy doesn't look like Larry Bird tonight.

Posted by: CN | April 14, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Still I'd rather be careful with out guys than sacrifice our playoff ability.

Posted by: sodumb | April 14, 2008 3:21 PM "

Dumb can't even write a complete sentence that makes sense.

As stated last week by AJ, many guys have had enough rest all season. There's no reason to rest now.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, which genius is going to start a debate on whether Les BouleS should or could beat the Pacers tonight.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, we saw which genius just started with insults "sans" instigation.

Indiana is defnitely going to be scoreboard watching with their playoff life hanging in the balance. It'll be tough for EJ to play his strict rotation if 2 guys are out, so hopefully Young, DMac, Pesh all get some minutes tonight.

Posted by: CN | April 14, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

First, Tony K. is a hack that is no longer relevant in the sport analyst/writer field. He is interested in being funny and witty but not insightful. Trades not made for the regular season? That is an excuse for failing during the regular season. What team does well in the playoffs but flounders during the regular season? Cleveland is not Detroit -- they can not turn it off and then on -- Detroit has been there over the long haul -- this is a Cleveland team that made one run and unless LeBron plays out of his mind, they will be 1 and done.

Posted by: Chad | April 14, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Jamison needs to sit out too.

Posted by: Pass_The_Sticks | April 14, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Gawrsh mango,

You seem to be forgetting yourself.

Last I checked you said you don't care / respond to what I write. Kinda flies in the face of all your trolling and whining. Maybe it was my crack about the Heat that burned you up? Sore subject or something? I think they have the internet in South Beach, you might troll there for some sympathy.

Spend a little less time worrying about my grammar, and more time working on your wit cause that ish is dull.

Posted by: Sodumn | April 14, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: Sodumn | April 14, 2008 3:55 PM"

LOL!

Dumb is so dumb that she can't even spell her name! You need to work on both wit and grammar...now say that 10 times and hopefully you won't pass out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

LOLy oooh got me, now who is the five year old?

Want a star?

Posted by: sodumb | April 14, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Mango a LOL-ly pop...

Posted by: Gil Arenas | April 14, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, what's the latest on Caron? Is this latest injury something the team is concerned about? Thanks.

Posted by: mj | April 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,
Is there anything to be made of Gil sitting out tonight? I'd think he'd be good to go after a day off...
Hope all is well -- or reasonably so -- on the home front.

Posted by: welcome back Ivan | April 14, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Want a star?

Posted by: sodumb | April 14, 2008 4:00 PM "

You deserve a star for spelling your name correctly this time! Congrats!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 14, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

In regards to number zero not playing tonight, I would guess that playing in 3 games in 4 days is not what the team doctors have prescribed.

Posted by: Dr. Ken Noisewater | April 14, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see that the Wizards are sitting some people down tonight. If they are worried about rust, Caron/Gilbert can play 20-25 minutes on Wednesday.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 14, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I would agree that resting the guys is a good idea, but I think Gil needs to play because he still needs to round into shape.

Posted by: Colin | April 14, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"DC Mann88, from what I remember in the past you usually had to be insulted first before you got on someone. Now you seem to start things without instigation.

Posted by: | April 14, 2008 4:54 PM "

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Whatevah...get a life and talk about basketball.

In any regard, review the blog above and read carefully, maybe you'll discover that you are wrong after all.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Book-it | April 14, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 3:35 PM

Looks like you're the genius

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"This Wiz team could lose to any bad team at any time, nothing is a gimme game with this group.

Posted by: Book-it | April 14, 2008 5:56 PM "

Yes, and this blog is dead silent when that happens, like against the Bucks and the Pistons.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

DC Mann88, you went after sodumb without him slighting you beforehand.

If I am wrong, show me where I'm wrong, otherwise...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

" "

Posted by: " " | April 14, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Ok, DC Mann88, I was not looking at it (" ") that way.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

DC Mann88 is a celebrity on this thing...lol, I wonder when Ivan is going to give him a shoutout...

The Wizards will be wise to sit Arenas out because of that back to back he played. Also, I think we should rest Caron for the sake of his knee. I'm afraid that the Pacers may blow this game open...because our bench will be playing heavy minutes and they haven't really had that much playing time latetly. Their confidence may be down, especially Nick Young's.

Also, I feel that if the Cav's lose tonite and we win, the Wizards will play Gilbert, Caron and go all out against orlando on wednesday. I still feel that the way this cavs team has been playing, they won't play well against the Pistons reserves on Wednesday.

If the Cav's win or if we lose tonite, expect all our starters to play less than 20 minutes on Wednesday just to work on chemistry and give the rest of our players a chance to build up confidence going into the playoffs.

Antonio Daniels...can you PLEASE not take a hard fall to the floor for the remainder of the regular season, we can not risk having another injury.

One's to watch tonite: Roger Mason Jr. - Expect him to knock down no less than 5 three pointers. Maybe even a dagger!

Posted by: rock | April 14, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

"Ok, DC Mann88, I was not looking at it (" ") that way.

Posted by: | April 14, 2008 6:08 PM "

It's mark up to his tired tricks, disguised as so dumb, but not really a disguise.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 14, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I am disappointed in Phil and Steve Buckantz not rcognizing the gentleman who was talking to Adrian Fenty, the Honorable Mayor William "Bill" Eiulle of Alexandria, Va.(the first African American Mayor in Alexandria, VA)... Not just some guy giving Adrian an earfull. In addition, Bill Euille attends almost every home game that his schedule allows. He is a great guy.

Posted by: Wayne Brown | April 14, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

sorry mango you flatter yourself,

How is "" pointed at you?
you assume too much, too often, and why is a dig at the Heat something that riles you up?

Where is the personal dig?

Posted by: sodumb | April 14, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Sorry dumb, you try to flatter me every time you post something directed to me as I could care less about interacting with you. This will be the last time.

I couldn't care less about the Heat, but some dummy on this blog keeps saying that I do care. It's probably you. Again, have a nice life. You won't see me addressing you again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 1:04 AM | Report abuse