Sixers at Wizards, Butler out (update)

Caron Butler, who bruised his right knee last night, tried to get loose but was a late scratch. He was not moving well in the second half last night is missing his 22nd game of the season tonight. The team is 8-13 without Butler so far.

DeShawn Stevenson (bruised tailbone) said he is in pain but will go. He's wearing some football pads under his game shorts to protect his backside.

This is a big one tonight. With a win over the 76ers, the Wizards would be guaranteed of finishing no worse than 6th in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
That's key because based on what we all saw last night when Jason Maxiell and the Pistons put a beating on the boys in blue, this team wants no part of a series with Detroit.

A loss would give Philly a 3-1 lead in the season-series and a key tie-breaker.

The Wiz finish with Indiana here Monday night and at Orlando Wednesday night. Philly closes with a home game against Cleveland Monday night and a roadie at Charlotte Wednesday night.

Then there is the matter of Toronto (40-39) which finishes at Detroit tomorrow, vs. Miami Monday night and at Chicago Wednesday night.

By Ivan Carter  |  April 12, 2008; 5:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz at Piston, Arenas to play
Next: Key fourth quarter

Comments

I feel bad for the team....even more so for Caron Butler.

Injuries are a mother.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 12, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

The update is that Caron is out tonight by the way.....

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 12, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Philly looks like a FERRARI Wash.looks like a STUDEBAKER how can a team that shoots so poorly(philly) free throws and from the field still be a playoff team the east sucks!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 12, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

It could also be that by upping the pace Philadelphia gets enough steals and enough possessions that volume overcomes the inaccuracy (Golden state lite perhaps). The 76ers doing well doesn't mean the East sucks (they have in fact beat some pretty good teams in this great run they have been on), it says a lot about what a wonderful job Mo Cheeks and his staff has done.

At least the Wizards played well in the second quarter, hopefully they build on that from there.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 12, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

The only reason the Wizards lost tonight was because of Gilby. (I'm going to stick my fingers in my ears and sing la-la-la now.)

Posted by: DC Maniac88 | April 12, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha

He's baaaaackkkkkk

Posted by: zengomi | April 12, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Yes, let's see what ways the Gilby bashers can find fault his play in the fourth quarter.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

we don't win this game without gil.

Posted by: jones-y | April 12, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Great all around game by Arenas he took over the fourth quater by himself and kept his teamates involved,pinpoint passing,steals, rebounds AJ again shows why he is idespensible hopefully Caron is allright I'd like to see Nick Young get some time these next two games great coaching by EJ( that one's for you Rob P) it would be nice to win these next two games although a split would suffice.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 12, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

This was a good win by Les BouleS against a team that they should beat. As good as some say the Sixers are, they're 5-5 the last 10 games, and are essentially a bottom feeder team.

Of course, the Sixers didn't look that way early on because they were running the Wizards out of the gym. Credit Ayers for locking down and confusing the Sixers with the zone defense that was called throughout the second half.

Mo Cheeks is a retread idiot coach who couldn't solve this zone defense. Also, they don't have the players to run a half court set. They are a run and gun team. Les BouleS gutted it out, built the lead, and the Sixers couldn't do anything but launch 3's. The Sixers just had a nonscoring center, and two small forwards (AI and Young). NO beef at the 4.

Gilby brought the team back with his shooting. That's great. What wasn't great was seeing boring Gilby ball. That means one guy has the ball in his hands, makes a move, and either throws up a long bomb or gets a foul while other guys watch. Mostly, it was like that in the second half, although Gilby dished out a few assists at the end.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

They only need one win to get fifth right? Too bad Atlanta didn't win tonight or they would've clinched and Indiana would've been deflated on Monday.
The Pacers will be fighting like mad, I hope the Wizards are ready for that.

I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but I heard the announcers say 76ers shot 1-15 from the field in the fourth! Couldn't believe it, did the Wizards actually lock down the 76ers in the fourth? And even happier to hear that Gilbert played a terrific game, especially with no Caron tonight. Did Gilbert get more minutes as a result?

Posted by: George Templeton | April 12, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey the sun rose today....but have you heard about that global warming thing?

Ever seen that Debbie Downer skit on Saturday Night Live.

That's DC Douche-Nozzle 88 to a T.

Your mother must have found something wrong with your birth.

Posted by: DC Killjoy 88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Gil had 20 points, 7 Rebounds...5 ASSISTS and 2 steals. Enuff said!!!!

And the Wiz would not have won the game WITHOUT him shooting the ball...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

You are right about one thing, Cheeks doesn't have the personnel to play a halfcourt game, but a retread idiot coach, I don't think so.
I know giving credit to Gilbert when he plays well is particularly difficult for you, but please don't try to put the 76ers in the same category as Miami or the Bulls, the facts don't support it.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 12, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"Hey the sun rose today....but have you heard about that global warming thing?

Ever seen that Debbie Downer skit on Saturday Night Live.

That's DC Douche-Nozzle 88 to a T.

Your mother must have found something wrong with your birth.

Posted by: DC Killjoy 88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 PM "

LOL!

I'm not even going to bother to step on you, but too bad for you that my words upset you so badly. The truth hurts.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

"My real name is Clewiston. I love the Miami Heat but since they are the worst team in the NBA, I troll the Wizard board all day from my parent's basement.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:04 PM "

This is so funny. You keep going on and on about "Clewiston." The only person who gives a crap about calling someone "Clewiston" is you!

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Does Idiot Man have an ASS anymore? Since he is continually laughing his off??

Oh,yeah. He's a BIG guy with a HUGE ASS...no, that's wrong...he is a HUGE ASS.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"A bottom feeding team? The 76ers could've tied the Wizards for fifth in the East tonight. A team that was 21-10 in its last 31 games before tonight.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 12, 2008 10:02 PM "

So how would you label this Sixers team if they are not bottom feeding? Who cares if they're 21-10 in the last 31 games?

They're 5-5 the last 10 games, and have overachieved. They are not deep, just athletic, and they're playing .500 ball, and would be lottery bound in the West, just like Les BouleS.

BTW George, I suggest you read my post again before you talk out of your @ss. I gave credit to Gilby for bringing the team back. I suggest you watch the entire game, not "bits and pieces," before you criticize my review of the game.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"Does Idiot Man have an ASS anymore? Since he is continually laughing his off??

Oh,yeah. He's a BIG guy with a HUGE ASS...no, that's wrong...he is a HUGE ASS.

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 10:12 PM "

LOL!

Way too many personal attacks on this blog.

Take some advice. Either don't read my posts to save yourself the aggravation, or deal with my assessment.

LMAO!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Man, what a luxury to have a superstar closer like Arenas!!! I think he is finally getting into shape, getting his and his legs. He basically took over in the 4th qtr and put the team on his back like the old days.

You know the days that before forget. The days that he was 100% healthy, along with Jamison and Butler and they were the #1 team in the East.

I still can't believe how many Wiz fans are Arenas haters. It's just ridiculous. Maybe they aren't really wiz fans, and act like it just to put down our Franchise Player, hoping he won't get re-signed.

What many people don't realize is all the other factors Arenas brings to the game and this time. He gets the crowd going. The Wiz home crowd is said to be lame, but not when Arenas electrifies the home crowd. It gives them momentum. He draws attention, about 2-3 defenders and makes it easier for his teammates.

He even played great D in this game. For some of the haters, just so you know Arenas played just about the whole 4th qtr. The 4th qtr where the 76ers only made 1 FG and only scored 9 pts. I'm not saying Arenas is a great defender but he's not as bad as he's made out to be.

Plus, man was the ball moving so smoothly when Arenas was in there. After he hit a few clutch shots, all the defenders were shading him, which is why we got so many easy baskets (created by Arenas).

I'm not taking anything away from the rest of the Wiz. Butler, Jamison, and Arenas are and will be equally important in the playoffs, in different ways. Butler brings toughness and Defense, Jamison brings consistency, and Arenas brings the excitement and is the closer.

Big ups to the bench tonight too.

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 12, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't talking out of my ass, first you did everything to say that 76ers wasn't that great a win and then give Gilbert begrudging credit before criticizing him once again.
What they would be in the West is immaterial to the matter and whether they have overachieved or not is also immaterial, but should actually stand them in better stead.
Oh and if they aren't that good, "a bottom feeding team" in your view, then how did they win at Phoenix, win at Detroit, win at Boston, defeat Detroit, Denver, Dallas, Orlando and San Antonio at home. All in the last 31 games no less.
I am sorry if the facts compromise your incorrect view of what happened tonight, but I am not about to let some of your anti-Gilbert screed go unchallenged. Attack me if you must, but you sure won't do it with the facts on your side.

Posted by: George Templeton | April 12, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Luxury? You EXPECT high performances from people that you pay the most, and who want max money.

Gilby is comfortable coming off the bench though. I don't know of any other 6th man in the league who is asking for max money though.

Ayers was able to implement his zone defense against a team that has no interior scoring. Zero. Zilch. Great chess move by Ayers. But, will he be as successful against top 4 teams in the East who do have inside and outside scoring, and play tough D? It remains to be seen.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Clewiston | April 12, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

George, you make way too many assumptions on what I wrote, and you look way too much into the words that I wrote in search for a double meaning.

I offered a critique on the game based on what I saw. People here are entitled to their opinion. If you saw differently, good for you, but then again, you only saw "bits and pieces."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"Do me a favor, and quit accusing me of being DC Man88. That guy is a total bunghole.

Posted by: Clewiston | April 12, 2008 10:34 PM "

Lisa, you are a serious loser obsessed with this dude "Clewiston." Too bad for you, whoever you are. I just hope you're not that dummy Laura Govan.

Arenas on females

I ain't even gonna lie, I know how girls feel when guys grab on them and stuff. Because the girls... Woo! Woo! They over me like flies in D.C.! I have this thing where if you don't go out as much, people want you more. You're a hot commodity. I go to the club, once a month, three times a year, and I'm like a wildfire in there! I like to just to go sometimes to put my face out there and show people I'm still here.... If I see a celebrity women I'm going at them. Halle Berry where you at? I'm next.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I just want to say that even though DC Man88 called me an idiot retread, I'm not taking it personally. But remember that cute little kid that I helped to finish the National Anthem that time when she forgot the words? She just called to say that she's going to put her foot up his worthless behind.

Posted by: Mo Cheeks | April 12, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 on females:

what? what are they?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

...not if I get to him first.

Posted by: Laura Govan | April 12, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Mo, I heard you got her pregnant. Dirty dog!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert is a dog Laura....leave him.

Posted by: Mya | April 12, 2008 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, he be a dog....I know....it's bad..

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 12, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to jump in here for a sec.

You can't paint Gilbert as a 6th man.

This is CLASSIC damned if you do damned if you don't BS from you.

Let's say that Gil comes back and says he wants to start? Well then you spew some crap about him being selfish and putting himself before the team. Messing up chemistry.

But instead he comes back with a work back into the rotation approach is willing to come off the bench... and you shade it like he's a 6th man looking for max money.

Why are you so worried about his pay check?
That is going to be happening over the offseason anyhow, let's focus on things we can see / know. Gil looks like he is coming back in better form from the beginning of the season. It looks like he is working other players into the game, moving the ball pretty well and putting out a high level of effort.

I can't find fault with him right now, and it makes the wiz a more dangerous team going into the playoffs.

I would like to think we can all agree that it is GO WIZARDS!!! And this team ain't changing until the off season.

I also don't think Cheeks is an idiot retread. He has this young thin athletic 76ers squad playing high energy basketball ready to catch teams sleeping. They have nothing to lose and they are a dangerous team because of it. Are they great? No. Can they beat a lot of teams? Yes.

Does this make them bottom feeders? Not really, they are opportunists. First step to being good.

I don't mind you putting out your incessant assessments. Cause it's fun pointing out how obviously flawed they are.

Your ball.

Posted by: sodumb | April 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

That behind-the-back move and reverse finish by GA was absolutely sick, as was that possession when he dribbled down the clock and then calmly hit a 35-foot three-pointer. And he did it tonight against Andre Miller, who is a tough defender. The knee must be coming along.

btw What's up with Nick Young? Is he hurt, or did he just get bumped out of the rotation?

Posted by: John Brisker | April 12, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Sodumb is so dumb that she should remove the "so" from her name.

"your ball?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

To quote Lil' Stewie: I get buckets, son!

Posted by: Gilby | April 12, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

John, Eddie Jordan said a few days ago that he was tightening the rotation in anticipation of the playoffs. He only played the young guys against Detroit since the starters were banged up and it was a blow out. Guess he needed McGuire for defense tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Phil Chenier needs to retire. He can't do anything but repeat the obvious that we just saw on the television screen. Maybe Phil should consider radio.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

"Whatever. You're entitled to your opinion, and I am with mine. Not going waste any time debating every C@ck, Dick, and Lisa that has an issue with my assessment."

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 12, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Phil Chenier | April 12, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

LMAO

All you do is waste time! LMAO

Sodumb -so + dumb- LMAO, ooooh great slam mango... you so-got me with that... you should so-do this for a living. Too bad you so-have your basement to worry about... :(

With wit like that you so-could make a funny fry-cook!

so-LMAO LMAO -- there it goes!

Posted by: sodumb | April 12, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Try and read my posts and tell me where I am wrong? I just want to learn...

Honestly, I don't mind debate, I don't shirk from it either. I'm not going to blast someone when they have good points, even if I disagree. Don't get all whiney and take it personal. But, I'm going to LMAO off anytime a two bit clown throws insults around when someone pulls his card for being off point.

Do something with that ball. Ball don't lie.

Posted by: sodumb | April 12, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"No. You're just going to spout your opinions over and over again and respond to legitimate challenges to your opinion by getting all huffy and trying to change the subject. You're a coward who calls people names on the internet. The scariest thing about you is that you've convinced yourself that your opinion matters.

Posted by: Irene Pollin | April 12, 2008 11:22 PM "

Irene, don't you have some Matzo ball soup to heat up for Abe?

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

"Next thing, DC Man88 is going to want to fire Gee Whiz, the Wizards Dancers, and that guy in the padded suit who does trampoline tricks.

Posted by: Phil Chenier | April 12, 2008 11:22 PM "

Couldn't care less about them. Comcast gives them no air time in their lousy broadcast.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Sodumb is dumb if she thinks I'm going to wasting time debating them.

LMAO!!!

"Your ball!!!"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"Try and read my posts and tell me where I am wrong? I just want to learn...

Do something with that ball. Ball don't lie.

Posted by: sodumb | April 12, 2008 11:37 PM "

Snore...don't try to get all mellow....

Your opinion doesn't matter to me....get it through your thick skull that I don't care!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

DC Man88 is not a real Wizards fan, but the fan from another team that trolls this blog to stir things up and get attention.

His posts are the worst kind of negative "assessments" - with flawed logic and his own brand of broken and tumbled reasoning.

ANYTHING that he says that may be even slightly positive has a caveat (playing against "bottom feeder" teams, etc...); followed by more negative junk.

He revels in Wizards losses, especially blow-outs.

He seems to take an unusual (and sick) pleasure whenever a Wizards player is injured.

He finds fault in EVERY Player, Coach, trainer, mascot, GM, beat writer, Analyst, Doctor, Broadcaster, ballboy, parking attendant, member of management - all the way up to the Owner.

He dredges up ancient articles from years past to try to make his clueless points.

Everything that is quoted by a certain player, goes into his tortured brain, and comes out as the worst kind of twisted venom.

He mostly posts about non-basketball related cr@p.

He refuses to acknowledge other's posts as anything except "clueless drivel".

His personal attacks on various posters here have become downright gross, and obscene.

He has written numerous racist and sexist posts on this blog.

I'm just wondering what someone has to do to get banned from this blog? It's pretty obvious that you can get away with a lot.... and he does!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Please see the loser post above. Lisa, I'm glad I had such an effect on you to make you want to type up so much on this blog about me. You're sweet.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

John Brisker ,

Thanks for reminding us of that move. How could I forget. That move was just amazing. I couldn't believe he stopped, changed direction, and put the ball behind his back in a tight space between 2 defenders so fast.

Although, the move was great I just knew he was going to miss the lay up or get it blocked, but he finished it off well. I hope it's on Sportscenters top plays.

BIG time players make BIG time plays in Big Games!

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 12, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

He wants female attention so badly that he fantasizes Lisa (or any other woman that posts) is continually responding to his lunancy. Why is a young man sitting at home blogging every Saturday night?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

LMAO

Again, this projecting thing you do is amusing crap. "Thick skull?"

Self description of the century. That bothers you? Hey, if my opinion bothers you so much, don't read my posts.

If it bothers you that someone makes a clear point (you still have NO REPLY for) then take it easy breath really deep and move on. Stop whining every time someone else steps on your ego with some knowledge.

Take your own advice.
Together we can make a better world, and the ball still don't lie.

Posted by: Sodumb | April 13, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

"What's even more pathetic is that DC Man thinks Lisa makes all these posts about him...I know that she doesn't because I'm the one doing it...and I'm not Lisa.

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 11:57 PM "

LMAO!!!!

Dude or Dudette, you ARE Lisa to me. If you're not Lisa, who cares?!?!

Why is this anonymous person sitting at home blogging on a Saturday night?!?!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 13, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

"LMAO

Again, this projecting thing you do is amusing crap. "Thick skull?"

Take your own advice.
Together we can make a better world, and the ball still don't lie.

Posted by: Sodumb | April 13, 2008 12:00 AM "

LMAO!!!!

Don't try reverse psychology!

You requested that I debate you on your points. I couldn't care less!!!

Your post doesn't bother me because I don't care to respond to your comments directed to me about Les BouleS, because you are so "dumb!"

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 13, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

LMAO

And yet here we are you...
you can't even tow this line.

No cred.

Posted by: sodumb | April 13, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

"No cred.

Posted by: sodumb | April 13, 2008 12:51 AM "

LMAO!

Dude, I couldn't care less what you think about me. I post my comments. If you don't agree...tough.

No cred? wahhhhhh, wahhhh.....as if I care...

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 13, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

If you didn't care YOU would not respond back....you do SO CARE.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 13, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

exactly, can't even tow this line.
Post you comments like i said, fine. Just stop all the constant whining.

Posted by: sodumb | April 13, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"If you didn't care YOU would not respond back....you do SO CARE.

Posted by: | April 13, 2008 9:19 AM "

Obviously you're not paying attention. I didn't bother responding to any of Dumb's points about Les BouleS. You must be related to sodumb....gotta be.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 13, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse