Sunday

The team flew back from Chicago last night and had today off. The next game is not until Wednesday night when Boston visits the VC and a little extra rest for this team can't hurt.

- Given the cautious approach the team is taking to handling Gilbert Arenas, it will be very intresting to see what the plan is for the weekend with games at Detroit Friday night followed by a huge home game against Philly on Saturday night.

If the plan is to not allow Arenas to play back-to-back nights, do you hold him back Friday night so he can play Saturday against the 76ers? Philly's press gave the Wizards fits the last time the teams met but Arenas is almost impossible to press and/or trap. He's just too quick, even now. Strategically, it would make more sense for him to play Saturday night. Also, keep in mind the tiebreaker implications. Philly leads the season-series 2-1 and the first tiebreaker is head-to-head record.

- Antawn Jamison (sprained right shoulder) told me flat out that he's playing Wednesday night. (then again, Gilbert told me flat out that he was not playing against Milwaukee the other night and then 24 hours later, well, he played but Antawn is Antawn you know?)

-If Brendan Haywood plays every night the way he played last night against Chicago, the Wizards will be downright scary no matter who they play in the postseason. In fact, a motivated Haywood makes them a brutal matchup for Cleveland. Did you see Ben Wallace jam himself on that dunk attempt against Chicago the other night? That team is vulnerable.

-With homecourt locked up, it looks like Boston is headed towards operation shutdown.

-And how shaky are Raptors right now? If I'm Orlando, that is the team I want in the first round. Every bit as inexperienced but also falling apart.

-I'm saying sorry ahead of time for the lack of blog posts you'll be getting the next two days. I hopped a flight from Chicago to Minnesota this morning to take care of some family business. I should be back in a couple of days. If anything major happens, it will be updated.

By Ivan Carter  |  April 6, 2008; 4:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nowitzki, Mavs Forced To Limp To Finish
Next: The Old Guys Might Not Be Ready To Stop

Comments

$7000

Posted by: Anonymous | April 6, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Ivan - hope everything is ok. Blessings.

I'd rather see the Wiz play Cleveland for a number of reasons:

1. I think they match up better against Cleveland (rather than Orlando).

2. Cleveland still seems in disarray after the trade.

3. LeBron is starting to look tired (human after all?).

4. Love to bounce them in the first round to partially make up for last year, and the year before, and.....

5. We have no answer for Lebron - but they have no answer for Haywood. No answer for Jamison. No answer for Caron. And, assuming he's at least 80%, no answer for Arenas.

6. Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu & Rashard Lewis. Untested in the playoffs, but scary!

Posted by: Rook | April 6, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I bet the Celtics go with their full lineup against the Wizards. Last time these two played, Caron Butler had some choice words for them (on their home court, no less). It could be a statement win for either team.

Haywood won't need a 25-point night, but he will need to match the defensive intensity that he brought in the previous two games. His coverage of Garnett was a big factor in those games. And the team as a whole will need to pound the boards - a difference-maker in the previous two matchups.

Caron had this to say after their last matchup:

"Our eyes are on winning a championship,'' Butler said. "Hopefully we get Gilbert back by March and when he comes back we will be even more dangerous.'"

Posted by: satch | April 6, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Crazy Jamison, but I'm not worried, it's just Antawn being Antawn...

Posted by: CN | April 6, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Is this be the beginning of a strong end to the season? And a springboard into the playoffs? A well-rested Zero, AJ coming back and hopefully everyone stays healthy this time? Let's hope they can handle some prosperity so that it's not just the Wiz being you know, the Wiz being the Wiz.

Posted by: low | April 6, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

AJ is the man, but he should sit it out until next Saturday to make sure his shoulder is "right". No need taking any chances. That Philly game is real important, so he should target that game.

I have not had a chance to comment on Gil's return, so here's my take. Watching him he looks like he is at best 75%. Just that 75% I saw let me know I need to look at his Max Demand again.

I was of the opinion he did not deserve it, but now I think he might be worth it to take a chance on. If the dude ever gets back to 100%, look the heck out. You can clearly see a difference when he is in there. Yea I know, where's the defense right? That is true, he needs to work on that but that won't happen this year with him being 75%.

But my definition of a superstar is when you are able to draw the full attention of opposing defenses all of the time even when you are 75%. That in turn opens up easy shots for everyone else. The dude has quirks but he is one nice ball player.

I am now on the side of going on anyd paying him the max and keeping this "bomb squad" together for the next 5 years to grow together along with EJ and all of his assistants. Other squads better look out if the Wiz are hitting on all cylinders.

*** I know I am often pretty hard on Buckantz when it comes to calling games, but I must give him props on explaining how the clock works in final seconds of games. I thought it was the home team clock person who started and stopped the clock. Buck informed us on TV it is the official who starts the clock from his belt. I did not know that. Again, props to Buck for bringing that out.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 6, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Are you that easily impressed BF#1? Let's see how Gilby plays against some real competition first, not 2 lottery bound teams, one of which (Miami), is the worst ranked offensive and defensive team in the NBA this season.

Also, let's not forget that this is an improved Les BouleS team compared to the one that Gilby left when he went out injured. Caron and AJ are having career years, and BTH and AD have stepped up admirably. Also, this team has been tougher defensively, nevermind the off and on emergence offensively of Mason, DS, and NY.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 6, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

BF#1-I heard that about the clock, too. That was really interesting.

Gil's got a buzz about him that the team lacks when he's out. He makes the Wiz really exciting to watch. They're a gutsy team without him, but they're not near as flashy. Gil's been playing above where I expected him to be in his first couple of games. It's obvious he's still not 100%, and he probably won't be this year, but I'll still take Gil at 75-80%.

Posted by: Lou | April 6, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, good point about Haywood. He is a difficult matchup when he is motivated, for most teams. He really does have a good combination of size, strength and mobility. Blatche also creates matchup problems for alot of teams, again if he is motivated.

Hopefully the playoffs will bring out the best in our guys like Haywood and Blatche, focusing on giving us energy, rebounding, and inside presence. Stevenson will focus on defense and knocking down the open shots. Jamison and Songaila will focus on veteran leadership, rebounding, and points in the paint. McGuire will give us energy, rebounds and D. Young and Mason will give us solid D and timely shots. Arenas will play like he did against Miami, drawing the defense and feeding his teammates, and when the defense sags making them pay. Caron brings the determination and overall game. AD comes is and runs the team like the veteran leader he is.

I truely think we can beat anybody. I'm not afraid of the Cavs, Magic, Pistons or Celtics. We have the talent, chemistry and experience to beat anybody!!

And I'd like to hear somebody tell me otherwise!!!

Posted by: Darnell | April 6, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

1) The only reason I want us to play Cleveland in the first round is because that means we finished our season out strong. If we do play them, we need take advantage of their slumping and lack of chemestry and flat out wipe them off the map. We do not want to get ourselves a close battle with "The Chosen One"

2) I do not expect to see much of the rookies during the playoffs, unless we get banged up or in foul trouble. Gil, Caron, AJ, AD, DSong, DSteve, Mason, Haywood should account for 95% of our minutes played. Blatche may be important for matchup issues with Varejo, NY and DMac, for needed rest or foul trouble. OPec should not see the floor at all.

3) Is it finally safe to say Etan is sitting this one out?

Posted by: ATLwizFAN | April 6, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

One thing about GA, nobody on this team shoots the 3 like him. I forgot how smooth and quick his jump shot can be. He is definately not back to where he was driving to the rim. You can see he is still not totally confident when goes into the paint and his instincts are still not back to where they once were. I too would like the chance to crush Cleveland, but they will be tougher than some are speculating. Remember, as much as I would like to believe in BH, that 25 was a career high. So don't expect double doubles from him in the playoffs. Strong D and 8 an 8 would be fine for BH.

Posted by: oddjob | April 7, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I believe the chat quality level is picking up here, a sure sign people feel better about the Wiz after the two wins.

I also think the playoff rotation will tighten up to GA, CB, AJ, BH, DS, DSong, AD, AB and RM... and considering that most teams cut back to 7 or 8 players for the playoffs, the fact that we can go 9 deep allows us the flexibility to play big or small as the situation demands.

The only rookie who could see minutes would be NY specifically against Orlando, whose guards are more exploitable than Cleveland's or certainly Detroit's.

Like most people, I would like to see us catch Cleveland in the first round, as (a) they seem a bit fragile right now and (b) we need to prove ourselves against them.

Should be a fun week.

Posted by: khrabb | April 7, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Glad to see Gil at least getting some props. What I would like to see is crowd participation. I am not sure if it is just the DC area or what, but, we should be cheering just as loudly and wildly as the crowd who cheered for the Caps. Believe it or not, it does help when it seems the crowd is behind you from start to finish. There is a group of us who will be attending the Phillie game and you best believe we are going to make our presence know. I know and understand the frustrations this team can make you have at times but come on you guys this our team and it is not a time to be critical of them. They truly need our support at the games and on these posts. So............ LETS GO WIZARDS! YEA!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

A couple of things:

We have to rest Gilbert and Jamison as much as possible on Wednesday and Friday. There is no chance Boston and Detroit are going to field first string teams for these games with both of them locking up #1 and #2. I don't say we should easily win these games (in fact, who is ready for Jarvis to drop 40 on us? Considering how we play the three, I wouldn't be surprised), BUT, they are practically gimmes.

How damning do a few of our loses look right now? We could be potentially tied or leading the Cavs for the fourth spot. A couple of reminders of games lost: a) Losing to the Cavs when they sported a D league team + Lebron. Not only did we lose, we got crushed. b) Losing to the Bucks on Wednesday. Completely and utterly inexcusable. We were up by 10 ON THE BUCKS IN THE FOURTH QUARTER. They are the Bucks. I repeat, we had all the big 3 playing, we were up by 10 on the Bucks in the fourth quarter, and still we managed to lose. Imagine if we lose home court to the Cavs because we couldn't manage to win this game. c) A couple of other close games from this season. Anyone remember the game where we were down by 1 with 10 seconds left, had the ball, and Antonio Daniels failed to get Jameson the ball on a pick and roll. He consequently hoisted up a fall away shot that of course bricked. Let's not forget the Lakers game last week either -- up by 3 with a minute left in overtime, and we hand the ball over to our hot but inexperienced rookie who turns it over twice in a row. I know we can't redo this season or any of these games, but there has been a couple of terrible personnel and crunch time decisions by the coaches along with some fairly inexcusable plays by our veterans.

The question also becomes who would we rather face in the second round? Oddly enough, a seven game series with the Celtics or Pistons doesn't seem to intimidate the Zards or me. In fact, I think we match up very well with a fairly old and not so athletic Pistons team. We played excellent against the Celtics this season too. (And I guess it is the deepest mystery of this team, doing so well against teams like the Celtics, Pistons, Hornets, but being incapable of beating teams like the Bobcats).

Posted by: alec | April 7, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

By the way, incredible game for Haywood on Saturday. He basically should be created for that win when it only seemed like him and Blatche were playing up to snuff against the Bulls. One of my deepest concerns with Eddie is that he doesn't give Haywood consistent minutes. And I can't tell if it is out of personal animosity and at times feels deleterious to the team and completely unprofessional. I want Brendon in the game for 25 to 30 minutes a game EVERY game in the playoffs. We simply need his experience, height, and body in their as much as possible.

Posted by: alec | April 7, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry Ivan take a couple of days off, no game til Wed. Wonder what we can possibly find to talk about?

Oddjob is right, his posts from the last blog, Chicago is ripe to make a stupid move. Not sure that it could involve Deng, there's stupid and then there's being a down right dolt. Not sure Paxson's going there yet. But that lockerroom is a mess.

I don't have to have supernatural powers to know that these guys on this Wizards team are group that really has some fun.
Did you get a load of those guys dressed up for Stevenson's 80's flashback birthday party? What a hoot! DVR'ed it and played it back a couple of times.

But I think Pecherov wears that jacket every day. The style just made it to his home town. And Clinton Portis was, well Clinton Portis...

Yeah, this is a lockerroom where everybody hates each other...

Posted by: GM | April 7, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Let's finish out the season Caps style. I expect to win them all from here on out even if the other teams are playing their starters. We've been missing consistently good PG play this season and now we have it for at least 20-25 minutes a game. We'll be unstoppable on offense. Let's just hope that the guys decide to step it up on D. Eastern Conf finals at least !
That was my early season prediction and I'm sticking with it.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

By the way, does anyone else remember 2 years ago when everyone thought Chicago was the team of the future? They played defense, they were young, and they were consistent. But I was reminded on Saturday why I never fell in love with the Bulls like others: they have no one that goes to the basket. Not one person who draws fouls, that can drive and kick it out. Who seriously thought that a team of Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Nocionni, etc. could be anything but slightly above mediocre if they were well coached. And when they stopped hustling and stopped playing intense defense, it all fell apart. Also giving an outrageous contract to a player who can barely shoot a basketball was not the wisest move on an already offensively defecient squad.

Posted by: alec | April 7, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: satch | April 6, 2008 06:04 PM

Oh, no doubt that Boston will START with their horses..... but I don't expect you'll see too much of Garnett, Allen or Pierce in the second half. (Especially Garnett and Allen)..

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Oh boy, I can see it now.

If Les BouleS beat the Celtics with KG, Pierce, and Allen starting but not playing much (as someone predicts), you'll get a lot of people on this blog after the game saying "oh boy, we beat the Celtics...and we looked great." Maybe the invisible man can waltz into the Celtic's locker room and confirm this game plan. What a hoot!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Alec, I remember the Bulls back then. i always thought Hinrich was overrated. I stillthink thatthey have a decent team if they put the right guys on the floor. A nucleus of Larry, Deng, Tyrus Thomas and Ben Gordon off the bench is still decent. They just need some chemistry or a coach.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

...and that's one thing that GA used to give us that we really needed. AJ and Caron don't really draw a lot of fouls because they are jump shooters. GA used to get bigs in foul trouble trying to come over and help against his penetration. Lets' hope GA can continue hitting jumpers because he's probably not going hard to the hoop anytime soon.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Before the sunday special nfl game, the anaylst (forgot which one) was naming the playoff seeds and all and when he got to the wizards, he said he thinks the Wizards-Cavaliers will be a good playoff game to watch. He seemed to think we will give them a run, could go either way or we could win. This was before the sunday N.Orleans-Golden State game.
Agree with above, Gilbert is only 75percent but looks like he's going to be a force when he heals 100percent next year.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 6, 2008 10:25 PM

DC yea I did mention the defense thing being a problem with Gil, healthy or not healthy. And yes I agree the three guards have benefited without Gil playing to gain valuable playing time and confidence.

Again, as I always try to relay in my stance with anything I talk about concerning ownership, management, coaching and players I always talk about "big picture". This is the basis of my statement about resigning Gil to the max in the offseason.

I forgot how good that dude really is until I saw him that first game back last week. The dude is playing with 1 leg right now and he is still able to get his "man" on the offensive end. You can not teach that. That is what we are going to need to have in the later rounds.

Every championship team always had at least one "nice" backcourt player to take them to the next level. You are right, he has not faced anyone yet, but you have to remember he has missed 66 games and his knee is still not 100% yet so I do not expect him to light the great teams up yet anyway (next year after fully healthy, of yea). Gil should be judged "next year" on his performance not this year because that would be unfair.

Now I can agree with you to a degree about who do the Wizards play the worse without, Gil or CB? I would say CB and not Gil. They will win more games missing Gil than CB I think because CB has the whole package and Gil does not at this stage in his career.

Does that mean CB is better than Gil? No, I do not think so. It is just a fact Gil makes the decision to not play defense and CB does. Thats what separates them now.

Now fast forward, to next year and Gil's max contract request. What I see is a dude that is able to score 27 a game with no problem, becoming a better leader, better passer, and most of all better defensive person. All Gil needs to do is take on the leadership role of the team and stop saying he is not a leader and tone down some of his self promoting ways and you will then have on your hands the makings of a true superstar.

He is worth taking the chance on with the max contract. The man is going to work his butt off in the offseason to get back to what he was you can believe that. My "big picture" is seeing the Big Three together for another 5 years along with EJ and "all" of his assistants (Hoopla's the man) back in the fold. Give Gil another year or two to mature and you will see he was a great thing to invest in......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I think you have to hold Gilbert out on Friday so he can play against the Sixers. That game is worth two games (one team gets a win, the other gets a loss).

Get that 5 seed, Wizards.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I want the Wiz to face the Cavs for no other reason than because it'll be the most entertaining matchup. These two teams have some history and seem to be working up a serious dislike for each other. Because the East has been so bad for so long, it's been a while since there's been any meaningful rivalry in the conference. The Wizards/Cavaliers has the makings of a good one.

What Grunfeld does in the offseason will likely be affected by what happens in the playoffs. If it's another first round out, then changes could be made. If it's a run at the conference finals with a strong showing, the odds of status quo become better. In any case, there are still some roster tweaks that will be needed if they're serious about taking the next step.

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I second kal that a playoff matchup between the Cavs and Wizards is what we need to do to exercise the demons and show we can beat them at full strength. Even GA at 75% gives us a dimension that we didn't have before and takes some of defensive focus off AJ and CB. We're actually getting some transition baskets and not having to grind out every possession.

This postseason should give Ernie a real barometer on whether to keep the core of this team together for another few years and make a few tweaks to challenge Boston and Detroit (who are both aging teams). If its another first round and out, I think he'll need to take a very different view of what the team needs long-term. Regardless, we need another backup big man to supplement BTH even though he's had his best season. We lack size and strength in the paint as our PF's undersized, but have a lot of nice pieces to build around.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 7, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I agree with BF#1. The Wiz would be well advised to pay the young man. If nothing else, it makes financial sense because at worse, the return on the investment will be huge because of ticket sales, corporate moneys, etc. At best, we win a championship. It's a no brainer. If there's any doubt as to what the Wiz management is thinking, just take a look at the side of the VCenter. There's a huge '0' with "I'm Back" . I don't even think his re-signing with us is debatable. I'd be willing to bet my house yet again that it's a done deal.
Gotta go with Kal on this one. What would be better than DS and LeBron matched up after the stuff that was said? Jay-Z and Soulja boy head to head? I can imagine hearing Souljaboy at the VCenter during introductions. Also, retribution for Gil after being out last year and atfer the free throw debacle before that. he could brag about beating the Cavs on one leg. We need to get that playoff monkey off our back and that monkey is Cleveland. Actually, after these past few seasons, it's more like a Great Ape.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Why do Les BouleS need to pay Gilby max money when he said last week that he's willing to take less, and that priority should be on AJ?

It's funny how people here want to pay someone max money when it's not coming out of their pockets, nevermind the fact that he's only played 20 minutes in the two of 3 games since he's been back, and nobody knows what he can do in the playoffs, and or whether he can even play consecutive games.

Nor has there been any news on how his knee is responding, since Gilby is not talking to the press, the coaches/playerse keep saying "Gilby is being Gilby," and the medical staff doesn't talk to the press. Let's see...medical staff clears him to play, Gilby can't play back to back, and no news. Very suspicious.

LMAO!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Regarding khrabb's lineups in the playoff, if we play Cleveland, I can see D-Mac be used to defend King James in some special situation (main defender will be Caron no doubt). The one player who will be glued to the bench is O-Pec. He looks the least ready.

BF#1, well said!

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 7, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that we are better offensively with Gil in the lineup. It all comes down to defense. It's a shame that we played a stretch of great defense earlier in the season right after Gil went down. When that happened, a lot of folks assumed that he was the person holding us back on the defensive end. That appears not to be the case. Our D is average at best with or without him. It's all about effort. Based on what I see, when we play man to man and leave BTH in the middle, we are much better than when we're trying to match up and play small ball. Now is the time for Ayers to earn his check.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Ivan's main story, the Celts have locked up the overall #1 seed. However, the Pistons have only locked up the #2 seed in the east and are about 1 game up on New Orleans for the 2nd best record in the league (and 2+ games up on the Lakers, Spurs). Seems like they would play harder to lock up the second best record to gain home court IF they make the finals, right?

Good news is Philly will also be playing the last leg of a back-to-back (they play the Bucks the night before) when we play them Saturday night...

Posted by: CN | April 7, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The best thing about playing the Cavs in the playoffs is that this blog will be inundated with Cavs fans. It should be plenty funny.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 11:39 AM

Even if the Wizards Defense is only average, it is much improved over last year - and good enough, given the Offensive strength of the team, to do some damage in the Playoffs.

Another year under Ayers, and some tweaking to the Defensive system (open 3-point shooters is a problem)... and they can only get better.

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

EJ/Ayers need to review the film against Miami and figure out why this team gave up 19x 3's to a team that had no inside game, and is worse in the league (30th ranked) in both offense and defense. I guess DS, their ace perimeter defender, was busy being busy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Give Gil another year or two to mature and you will see he was a great thing to invest in......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 10:27 AM "

Gilby does have a year with Les BouleS, as long as he doesn't opt out. He's got next year to prove his worth, but greed is leading him towards opting out in hopes of max money, and EG/Abe would be fools to give it to him based on his health history and predictably selfish ways.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

duh??? I thought both teams get a win or both teams get a loss??? wow

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 12:29 PM

The Wizards "system" is not geared towards stopping, or contesting the 3-point shot.

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

By the way... Anyone know where I could find some stats on dunks and layups alowed per season, by team?

My gut tells me that the Wizards have allowed many fewer dunks and layups than last year - but I'd like some stats to back that up.

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree with you more, Rook. The 3 point shot has been a thorn in our side defensively for at least 15 years. It's about time we took a look at a new 'system'. i thought that was what Ayers was giving us but I guess not.
sagaliba, If Dmac tries to play LeBron, he'll foul out in 5 minutes. He'll get NO calls from the refs and you know LeBron will be causing contact to try to draw them. Also, I've noticed that McGuire is great at helping out but a step slow in defending his own man. I hope that's not our plan. Our best option is to make Bron shoot jumpers. Put a quicker smaller guy on him and hope he settles.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"When a team consistantly gives up 3-pointers (the Wizards lead the entire NBA in opponent 3-point attempts and makes) - then the finger points NOT at an individual player, but at the system.

The personnel is good enough to play man-on-man against most teams, with Haywood (and/or Blatche) patrolling the middle - but the Wizards very rarely play strict man-to-man."

I agree with the first part, Rook. The defensive scheme definitely needs to be adjusted to contain outside bombing. But at the same time, there's no denying that most of the regular rotation guys on the team aren't esp. good individual defenders. If they went to straight up man on the perimeter then they'd end up back where they were the last few years, which is allowing steady penetration as opponents regularly beat the Wiz off the dribble and got into the middle.

I think part of the defensive scheme is to limit penetration with help and rotation, taking away easy layups and forcing teams to hit tougher long distance jumpshots. The problem seems to be how they make (or don't make) the on-the-fly adjustment when a team gets hot from outside.

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 12:48 PM

Very good point Rook. That concept needs to change. I have always wondered why EJ felt playing the opposing team's offensive paint play was more important than playing straight man to man defense. There are no more Shaq's, Kareem's, The Hakeem The Dream, Big E and so on centers in the game today.

There are no more back to the basket 5's anymore in the league so why he worries so much about the paint and dropping a man down and doubling is beyond me. This is the same defense that likes to flash their 5's past the top of the key and then have them double back down to guard the basket???

The court becomes unbalanced and then leads to wide open jumpers. That is why we have the record of the most 3's allowed. Michael Ruffin was the only one who could play that 5 and flash at the top and turn that point guard bacj or make him pickup his dribble all together. Haywood and AB are unable to do it. Songalia does it ok, but then that means he is playing the 5 and I don't "like slow small-ball".....!!

Our best premeter backcourt if you need that one shutdown is DMac and DS. Although DS often gives his man the "left or the right" in hopes of running him into his help (which is often the 5). I hate this defense too. Still makes the court unbalanced. DS needs to play his man straight up like DMac does.

Lets just hope EJ does not make that same mistake in another close game of having Gilbert out there on defense. Gilbert you are my boy, but I can't have you out there on D even if you are 100% healthy.

*** However, back in GS 5 years ago you used to come in off of the bench and lock people down because I remember seeing you asking myself who is this dude playing tight D and launching long 3's. Little did I know, huh...???

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mark. The stats show that the Wizards are giving up fewer points this year on Dunks, Tip-ins, and close range shots; which seems to match what I've seen from watching the games.

"I think part of the defensive scheme is to limit penetration"
Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 1:18 PM

Absolutely no doubt that the Defensive schemes have been geared towards limiting the "easier" inside shots.

However, I partially disagree that the Wizards don't have the personnel to play better man-to-man. I believe they CAN play better - not against EVERY team; but against most.

Against teams that have an outstanding point guard that can fisish at the rim, they have problems.....but then again, not every team has a penetrating guard that can finish at the rim (ala Tony Parker, Chris Paul, or Steve Nash).

And, like I said before, another year under Ayers - and tweaking the schemes a little - should provide additional improvement.

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 12:36 PM

I ain't mad at that man at all for his decision. That would be dumb to stay in another year when you have an option to resign a new contract for 7 more years. It would be different if he did not have the "opt out" and then he decided to stage a holdout until he got a new contract. Then that would not be cool.

As I said before, you make some valid points about Gilbert and I am not going to disagree with you there, but for me I love what the dude brings to the court and he brings us national attention which we have not had in 30 years or more. I just think he needs to keep some of his thoughts to himself sometimes because when he voices them some people take it out of context and then they want to fry the man.

It seems to me he simply speaks what most professional players think and feel but will not say. For that, I ain't mad at him. I have already said the Wiz should concentrate on signing AJ FIRST, and then work on Gilbert and then Mason in that order.........!!! All I am saying is if it is max that will keep him here, then I would have to pay it......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

...and to add to what BF#1 says, is there really anyone out there worth getting if we let GA go? Pls don't say Elton Brand. We're getting 20 and 10 from AJ, so the old Brand would only be a slight upgrade (mostly on the defensive side). I'm tired of starting over. Let's roll with GA and kiss the cup.

Posted by: mark | April 7, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"DC all kidding aside. The man would be a fool not to opt out now. What if he played that last year of the contract and gets hurt again??? Now he has lost 7 years of guaranteed money. Doing the opt out now, he still has 90% leverage because he can bank on EG knowing he "might" be 100% next season. That would be enough for me to take a chance. As Mark said earlier, fans in the seats, national exposure, odd personality and etc will get Abe his money back if he overpaid.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 1:46 PM "

BF#1, yes, that's why I said Gilby was a fool to begin with, because he said he wanted financial security, but turned down EG's offer for an extension, to gamble for bigger money, and now look at what happened.

That's not "getting financial security" by gambling. And to think he laughed at/chastised Air Gordon and Luol Deng for not signing their extensions.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 12:48 PM "

So how did DS get the label as a "great perimeter defender?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

DC: Mike,

Do you think people gave Gilbert a pass for his grandstanding way of showing up for his first game back (not telling anyone, coming out after the game started, etc.). Everyone just brushed it aside as "Gilbert being Gilbert," but doesn't it show that he is is all about No. 1 and not about the team? Why didn't more people call him out on this? I agree with Tony that Gilbert is a bigger DC sports figure than Alex Ovechkin, but Ovie is a better team player anyday.

Michael Wilbon: Good question...Not everybody gave him a pass. I did...and I shouldn't have. Tony K. didn't give him a pass. Tony was very critical of Gilbert. I wasn't, and probably should have been moreso. I wasn't actually at the game and didn't see the sequence. Your point, that it points to a certain selfish behavior, is totally legit to make. It undermined his coach, which isn't good for Eddie Jordan. I would play Gilbert of the bench, sixth man. And if he didn't want to do that, he could go on the inactive list. But I think he can help the Wizards, without question. I think if Antawn and Caron are healthy and Gil is coming off the bench the Wizards can beat Cleveland or Orlando in a first-round playoff series.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze, I will be so happy when this season is over and we find out whether or not Gil stays or goes. I get so sick of reading all of the negativity towards this guy. The team seems thrilled to have him back in the line up and you can see the difference in the Wiz's play when he is in the game. A more thrilling brand of basketball with plenty of fastbreaks. All of you anti-Gil posters better be careful of what you ask for. YOu just might get it and it may not be what you want. I for one, hopes he stays. He may not do things the way we would necessarily do or like him to do but this dude has mad skills. And lastly, maybe we can talk about some other Wizards instead of this daily Gil crap. Congrats to Jamison on his nomination for Sportsman of the year. He is a true sportsman and deserves all of the kudos he is gettting considering what he means to this team and the way he has held it down amidst all of the other injuries thus keeping the Wiz in the playoff hunt. Great game by Haywood Saturday too! Hope he keeps up this intensity thru the playoffs. I can't wait for the game on Saturday. I scored some great tickets and will be in the house making noise.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"but then again, not every team has a penetrating guard that can finish at the rim (ala Tony Parker, Chris Paul, or Steve Nash)."

Jose Calderon, TJ Ford, Deron Williams, Baron Davis, Rajon Rondo, Allen Iverson, Devin Harris, Andre Miller ...

Anyway, the point is that, based on a ton of past evidence, straight up man defense is simply not the Wizards forte. If it were, they wouldn't have needed Ayers and a new scheme to come in and turn things around. If the personnel on this team was actually capable of playing man-up defense without help or scheming, then you'd think they'd have shown some sign of it up until now. They haven't. Thus the focus on closing down the lane with rotations and help.

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Posted by: | April 7, 2008 2:49 PM"

Amen. I hope we will bid adieu to Gilby and his diva ways this summer. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I just wish that you all would stop picking this team apart after every game win or lose.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

DC Man = TRIFLIN'

Posted by: Frosty Freeze | April 7, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Frosty Freeze = 'bama

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I am in no way agreeing with you DC88 troll! I pray to the heavans above he signs a longggggggggggggggggg contract just to spite your arse. HA! LOL

Posted by: | April 7, 2008 3:07 PM "

Sorry. You just admitted that you're stupid. Very stupid.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The Cleveland fans that logged on here after the last Cleveland game all know the story about The BET!

I think one guy from Cleveland called it the funniest thing he ever read! So a Cleveland series would be real interesting on here. Those guys thought 88 was as crazy as the rest of us.

Damn good thing for Wilbon he could write and he didn't try and make his living as a coach.

And this is the NBA, not many teams that have five guys that can man up agianst five NBA caliber players and shut them down. The Wizards have improved vastly on defense by scheming and help.

Getting better at covering up on the threes will come with a little more time in the system and a healthier lineup. Playing games with 8 or 9 guys dressed will make a team a step slow.

Playing with 3 rookies and Blatche being younger then the rooks contributes to that kind of thing too. I think the team needs to be complimented for what they have improved.

And Gil will be back next year, you can bet on it!

Posted by: GM | April 7, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The bet is in your dreams GM, but your wife's barn story is legendary. I just feel sorry that Lefty couldn't distinguish between your wife and the beasts of burden in there, even with a sniff test.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

WTF?!?!

What about JaLa's coverage of ST's murder! I demand a recount!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

88,You seem to be the only person on this blog that keeps coming back to sexual fantasy involving an old bald man and farm animals.

Your involving anyone's wife in that sick little tale seems beside the point.

You posted about your bet, I didn't. I didn't mention you at all, you only assumed the The Bet had to be your Bet. So boy, this bet thing must be sticking in your little crawl.

But your losing that bet sure does explain the all day Arenas bashing for a whole season when he missed 66 games. He plays a full season next year, and you might wear those little fingers down to nubs.

A Cleveland playoff series is going to be alot of fun, win or lose. I'm looking forward to the possibility, good basketball with lots interesting side stories.

And you can bet on that little buddy!

Posted by: GM | April 7, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Gosh GM, that legendary barter for courtside PRACTICE seat that you received for an encounter between Mrs. GM and Lefty is coming back to haunt you. It was you who wrote about it on this blog to prove what a diehard basketball fan you were, with the indecent proposal.

It was too bad that there those two loverbirds ended up at UMd's barn and Lefty had a hard time initially finding your wife because he had no flashlight and he had a hard time distinguishing her aroma from the beasts of burden sleeping that night.

You can bet that they had a wild cockadoodle doo rip roaring time though!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 2:49 PM

Interesting that most of those names are in the Western Conference...

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree with above, for once lets just enjoy the fact that we're finally making the playoffs on a regular basis - 4years straight! Yes, it's the east, but could be worse. I'm thrilled that we have 3 all stars and I like ALL of our players - Gil, Caron and Antawn (who does deserve every accolade he's receiving---a class act)!
After reading the other article even Lebron seems to be checking out if Gil is playing in the playoffs: "When you add an all-star like Gilbert to your roster this late in the season, it can only help," James told the Akron Beacon Journal. "We've played them with Gilbert, we've played them without Gilbert, so it doesn't matter for us. We know that we need to get better, otherwise it won't matter."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

GM, great point regarding the team and Gil, however, you can NEVER win an argument with an IDIOT! Leave DC88 the village Idiot to his own devices and maybe if people ignore him enough he will either leave or cut out the vulgarities.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

If we play the Cavs and lose, I'm not sure I will be able to handle it, emotionally. I don't know if I'm that strong! But if we win, well... That would be incredible!

Posted by: g diddy | April 7, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it great to be playing meaningful games in April for the 4th year in a row? You would think that we would get more respect as a team but I am not sure we are. Listening carefully to the so-called national experts, it is interesteing that with the horrible stretch run of the Cavs when, not if, we beat them the talk will be on how bad the Cavs are rather than how good we are. The "no respect" angle is not only a wise strategy used by some teams but is a true strategy that I hope EJ really uses this spring. Only beating Detroit or Boston in round 2 would get the attention of the NBA nation. I am not even sure a long 2nd round would do the job. I wonder how mnuch respect we actually get from the other teams? I have a feeling they are more concerned than the Barkleys and Leglers of the world.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Any team out of the East, other than Boston or Detroit, will get ZERO attention from the media. Even Detroit gets very little National attention. LeBron will get attention, but not the Cavaliers. Dwight Howard may get some attention, but not the Magic.

All the real glitz and glamor resides in the West. Kobe and the Lakers. Nash, Shaq and the Suns. Parker, Duncan and the Spurs. Kidd, Nowitzki and the Mavericks....

Let the West beat each other up in the Playoffs - and a team from the East will win the Championship again.

Posted by: Rook | April 7, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm really glad that Les BouleS are making the playoffs this season. Even though the East is bad, it would be even worse if they didn't make the playoffs.

The core of Caron, AJ, BTH, and AD held it together this season, and should enjoy the playoffs and play loose. No pressure.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 7, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

That GM idiot clearly doesn't know better. Out of the blue, talking about some stupid bet that didn't happen just to incite DC88. Then GM gets mad. Talk about hitting your head with a brick and then being mad at yourself for doing it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

No rush to play Gil so much right now, the playoffs are right around the corner.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | April 7, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if a team is getting media attention or not? Does it affect whether the game will be broadcast on comcast? Does it result in wins? Nope...none of that.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Thus the focus on closing down the lane with rotations and help.

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 2:49 PM

Kal. They can't do that right either!! It is pick your poison with them and I would rather them play man to man. Have the point guard breakdown AD or Gilbert and then let him drive into the lane against AB or Haywood. I will take that matchup vs. having NBA players getting wide open time to set my feet for 3 seconds jumpers!!

The guard even dishs off to the man the 5 left or attempt the shot. At least that is not a back breaking multiple "mo" changing 3's busting them in the butt. They clearly out played Miami, but the Heat were able to stay close because of all the "mo" changing 3's that "rotating double down defense" allowed.

They are TERRIBLE at rotating so why even play it??? They are TERRIBLE at "flashing", so why even play it??? They are TERRIBLE at doubling down in the paint, so why even play it??? The odds are better for them to just play man to man.

As I said before, there are no more true "back to the basket" 5's anymore (Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem, Moses). Those days are gone. No need to "pack the lane" and drop down and help out. We do not have the foot speed to perform effective rotations and help defense.

Do we have the personnel for effective "man to man", maybe but not really? But I bet you they would play that better because they do not have to worry about switching and haviing good foot speed to cover all of that vacant primeter area....!!! If EJ wants to play that scheme he needs to use it with only particular folks on the squad. Here is the five he "could" run that with.

1. R Mason

2. D Stevenson (still plays left and right help defense too much for my blood instead of playing straight up defense).

3. D Mac

4. CB

5. AB

This is the best 5 to play the rotating, double down, flashing 5 defense. These are our quickest folks footwise on defense. Notice I did not say on offense.

We should not be playing rotating, double downs, flashing by our 5 with our starting unit. Not enough foot speed.!!!! Let them play man to man.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 7, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Someone here mentioned earlier that Detroit is old and not that athletic....are you crazy? Prince is a freak, and those guys they bring off the bench (Stuckey, Maxiell, Amir Johnson, etc.) are athletic as hell. That is one scary team.

The Wiz will be fine as long as they are the 5 or 6 seed. Just do not play the Pistons.

Posted by: Steven | April 7, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

"Do we have the personnel for effective "man to man", maybe but not really? But I bet you they would play that better because they do not have to worry about switching and haviing good foot speed to cover all of that vacant primeter area....!!!"

You'd lose that bet. They played man-to-man in previous years and were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. They were in the bottom 5 in opponents ppg and FG% last season. This season they're up in the middle of the pack. Great defensive team? Nope. But a helluva lot better than they were.

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

My real name is DC Fairy88.

Everyone knows why: I luv Gilby!

Sashay!

I am also known as Clewiston88, or "ClueLess."

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Where is all this chatter about us not playing man to man defense coming from? Hello, we do! We may sag off the perimeter and focus on stopping penetration, but it's not like we play zone. And you guys are acting like forcing your man a certain direction is bad? Wow. It's the NBA folks. The players and coaches read scouting reports, try to take away pet moves, and make the opposing player go to their weaker side and into the help defense. Simple basketball.

Posted by: Rob P | April 8, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Alex and Mark, Chicago has a lot of good players, but no real stars. GA, CB, and AJ are all better than their best players. The only one I would even hesitate to say that about is Deng, but he regressed this year big time for whatever reason. Damn, and Chicago probably could have had Kobe if not for their stupidity in holding onto Deng at all costs.

And Chicago did have a pretty damn good coach named Skiles and they fired him! Doesn't look like he was the problem. In fact, it looks like he maxed that team's abilities out. Wish I could say the same for EJ!

Posted by: Rob P | April 8, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Yup. Looks like Skiles was a big reason for their success. Ben Wallace is done. DONE, I tell you !! Hinrich was playing above his head when Skiles was there. That team is no longer a threat IMO.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I see that the idiot started with the farm animal talk again. Take your beastiality fetish elsewhere, you misogynist in-the-closet Troll. "THE BET" must be true or he/she/it wouldn't take offense. No normal person would get all riled up just because somebody accused them of losing money on a bet. Clewiston, don't get your panties in a bunch. Just take some Midol for the cramps. You'll be fine in a week. We know you have a jones for Gilbeeee. Sashay!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

There are way too many anonymous trolls on this blog. It's fun tho!

BTW, what happens in the barn between Mrs. GM and Lefty stays in the barn, but you can thank Mrs. GM for opening her mouth (no pun intended).

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

As a diehard Wizards fan, I for one am excited about the playoffs and this team's future. My morning ritual always has me reading this blog as most of the fans on here are very knowledgeable about the team and the NBA. However, I cannot stand having to muddle through the crap that one person on here posts in his child-like way. I'm referring to DCMan 88. It's absolutely okay to disagree with an opinion or a post, but the manner in which DCMan approaches this is unacceptable and we shouldn't have to put up with it. Freedom of speech is one thing but not having to listen to an idiot is another.

I think it's time we implement the "ignore" DCMan 88 program again. For those of you that are new to this blog, for every post, just cut and paste the following to the end:

Now if we all do this with regularity, he will eventually disappear. However, as we have seen in the past, he will most likely stop posting for a short period of time then post a legitimate thought or opinion, in a few days he will revert back to his usual ways. If we do this with consistency, he may be forced to crawl back under his rock for good or at least go to another forum to irritate another team's fans.

I believe this is the only way to stop him from manipulating most everyone on here at least until the Post implements registration for the site.

Yes, he can always post under anonymous, but we can ignore those posts as well.

So - PLEASE IGNORE DCMAN 88, HE IS RUDE, VULGAR, AND IS ONLY HERE TO ANTAGONIZE MOST OF US ON WIZARDS INSIDER. DO NOT RESPOND TO HIM OR COMMENT ON HIS POSTS.

Posted by: CJ Baltimore | April 8, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

What?

From Ivan's story:
""We want to get our top eight guys in sync, and if there is a top nine, our top nine guys to play well together," Jordan said. "I want Gil to play with Darius [Songaila], I want different lineups [and] our top eight or nine rotation guys to really get a part of it and get that chemistry down. That's what we're looking at" down the stretch."

Does this mean that Jordan only plans to play 8 or 9 guys in the playoffs? (Ivan doesn't say.) If so, who is out? The starters (including Daniels) plus Songalia, who Jordan mentions, is 6. Gilbert is 7. That leaves Blatche, Mason and Young. If Jordan goes with 8 guys, two of those are out; if 9, then one of them is out.

If Jordan goes with 8 guys, that means Gilbert isn't going to be limited to 20 to 25 minutes.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm in.
Time for new entry, Ivan. What's up, dude? Stayed up late to watch Memphis choke and now there's no time for us?
We could use someone like Darrell Arthur on this Wiz team. He seems like a motivated Stromile Swift.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm in too! Everyone on the "ignore" DC Man88 Bandwagon!

Speaking of Bandwagon's, wouldn't it be nice to have some way to rally around our Wiz as we head into the playoffs? Remember the bandwagon days of the Skins? Remember, the white outs for the Caps playoff run years ago? Remember the Fat Lady Singing? I think this team needs an identity again, a theme, a song, or anything. Something that us fans can attach to during the stretch run. Even if it's a chant of "Tough Juice" every time Caron touches the ball tomorrow night against Boston, or "Overated" when either of Boston's big three touch the ball.

Ivan, as the all knowing leader of Wizards Insider, you are the chosen one to get this ball rollin'.

Posted by: LaBradford S. | April 8, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"My real name is DC Fairy88.

Everyone knows why: I luv Gilby!

Sashay!

I am also known as Clewiston88, or "ClueLess.""

Whatever Lisa.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

BJ Baltimore is an idiot.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE IGNORE ANONYMOUS TROLLS, THEY ARE RUDE, VULGAR, AND ARE ONLY HERE TO ANTAGONIZE MOST OF US ON WIZARDS INSIDER. DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM OR COMMENT ON THEIR POSTS.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 7, 2008 11:16 PM

Kal - In the previous years from what I was watching it looked liked the same defense they are attempting to play now with the doubles and the flashing of the 5.

The only reason the defensive standings went up is because Gilbert was not out there the past 66 games this season. Wow, guess what better "team" defense resulted. It is not because they switched from playing man to man the previous years to a gimmick defense like they are playing now. They were playing the same gimmick defense the last three years EJ has been here. It was not straight man to man back then either.

Again the reason why they improved on defense is 1. EJ let Randy Ayers "tweek" HIS defense some, but not TOTALLY, 2. Gilbert was not out there "cheating" on defense and letting his man blow past him every possession, thus causing people to leave their man to cover for his and then making the court unbalanced, and 3. EJ does not have Etan and Ruffin to over use at the 5 spot like in the past. He is using Haywood and AB and their length to defend the paint as he should had the past three years. Trust me that makes a difference in contesting shots.

These are the reasons for their increased ranking, not them using a gimmick defense like they are using now and also in the past years. Again, this is the same defense they used in prior years, except throw in the three factors I mentioned above and you have better results in ranking this year as you mentioned. So yes sirrrrrr, I would take that bet......!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rob P | April 8, 2008 12:56 AM

Rob P. Yes it is bad to force your man in a certain direction if the rest of the team does not know, or is not able, to come with "help defense" to trap the man.

The Wizards "Starting Five" again do not have the overall footspeed to be playing help defense, flashing, and doubling down in the block. Defense is like a chain, and if one link is weak it makes the whole chain bad. You see it most of the time on the Wizards defensive end.

By the way, what NBA starter has a "weaker side" that you know? Most starters on the "primeter" are able to go left or right whenever they want, so what the heck is a pet move to a NBA starter? This is not like you are guarding Kareem and you know the "sky hook" is coming.

Then you try to force him to his left by overplaying his right shoulder. But again, that is somebody in the paint, not on the primeter. I am talking about primeter defense, not paint defense. This is where the Wizards need improvement and a change in defensive sets..........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Gilby's got to be the worst defender in the starting 5. At least AJ has upped his boards average and tries. Gilby just does the "olay" and then hope that BTH will bail him out, as he streaks to the other end for the long pass and easy bucket. Gilby puts no effort into D. Recall what he said last season when Caron went out and EJ asked him to play D. Too funny!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I think our defense in the paint is decent. We need to stop giving up uncontested shots. What's wrong with playing up on a man and funnelling him into a trap or BTH/AB? It's been the open shots that have consistently killed us.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

bottom line on D. I rather give up threes then allow penetration or points in the paint. You can't shoot three's forever. I hope.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

A little bit on Blatche. Okay, this obviously has mad skills, he's long, can seriously jump,has a decent jump shot. ad can put the ball on the floor. I just wish he would STOP trying to play like a guard. He should dunk the ball every time he gets down low. He seems lazy in the post. Just throwing up shots like Tony parker. Is it me or does he get more of his shots blocked than anyone in the association. That should never happen to someone as tall and athletic as him. In fact he should be the one blocking shots. I think he could be a KGish or Amare type player. but hes got to want it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards don't play much zone but, since the arrival of Ayers, they also don't play as much straight-up one-on-one man defense. They live in the gray area in-between, with a lot of switching, double-teaming, sagging back into the lane, and dropping back and digging on post ups. Prior to Ayers' arrival they played mostly man-on-man defense without nearly as much help rotation and gave up 105+ points and high shooting percentages. Under Ayers they've concentrated on shutting down the lane and cutting down penetration, which has resulted in lower opponents FG% and point totals, but it's also left the perimeter open if a team gets hot. Whereas, before Ayers, teams were killing them inside and out on a nightly basis. The idea that they'd be better off abandoning the current system and going back to straight man defense flies in the face of established (and quite recent) history.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

According to TrueHoop http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-22/Monday-Bullets.html , based on the numbers, AJ is an MVP candidate.

Again, he is the heart and soul of this team this year. Hopefully he can survive the rest of the seaon without injury.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"The only reason the defensive standings went up is because Gilbert was not out there the past 66 games this season. "

That's utter nonsense.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"They were playing the same gimmick defense the last three years EJ has been here. It was not straight man to man back then either."

Right on, BF#1.

I'd also like to add, there is something inherent in Gilbert's absence. As we can see in Gilbert's recent two games, as soon as he entered the game, the tempo picked up. He throws long passes that none other Wizards players can. This resulted in fast breaks and quick points, but sometimes also resulted in opponent's fast break as well (since those are higher risks passes). As the result, Wizards offensive ranking would go up but defensive ranking would go down (fast breaks and easy buckets not only add to the total points but also the FG%).

I do agree that Wizards overall play better defense this season, but how much of that due to the real improvement and how much of that due to slower tempo games is hard to tell.

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Les BouleS is that they get too caught up with what the other team does. Les BouleS don't try to dictate the tempo of the game.

Whenever an opposing team wants to run, Les BouleS players try to match that intensity. There's no discipline. Les BouleS are neither a great running team, nor are they a great X&O's team, and they are definitely not a shutdown defensive team.

They're still trying to find their identity, and all that can get blown up this summer.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

"Gilbert was not out there "cheating" on defense and letting his man blow past him every possession, thus causing people to leave their man to cover for his and then making the court unbalanced"

And yet after every game, win or loss, against a team with a dreaded "quick, small PG" this blog was choked with whining, hand-wringing, teeth-gnashing posts about how ineffective the Wizards are at containing such players and keeping the defense in front of them. But if Gilbert was the "only reason" they gave up penetration to such players and Gilbert hasn't been playing, how was it a problem? Because I don't recall seeing Gilbert on the floor in the losses against Golden State, or Phoenix, or Denver, Toronto, or Utah.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that AD has more trouble than Gilbert with the speedy players. At least those guys also have to expend energy and worry about fouls while guarding Gilbert. Against AD, they can walk back on defense and not worry too much about him scoring. It's not a knock on AD, it's just the game he plays. We need to put to rest the notion that Gil is the cause of our bad defense. He's one link in the chain. As Sagaliba noted, we play uptempo with him in the game and subsequently give up more points. If you want him to slow it down, how about coaching him and telling him not to run? He'd be effective in a half court set because of his range. EJ must be ok with the uptempo game. I don't know that you can have it both ways. Can you expect the guys to run and still play great D? With our personnel, I'd expect just great effort but only above average results. That may be enough for us to get deep into the playoffs. The effort is the key...and the scheme they are asked to play.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Let me reiterate that great O and great D are not mutually exclusive (see the old Lakers and Celtics teams). I just dont think that we have the personnel for it. Great O, we got it. Good D, definitely. Great D...in stretches only.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 11:39 AM

Let me clarify my post. I did not say or mean Gilbert not playing 66 games is the ONLY reason for the increase in rankings. I said and meant him not playing was a CONTRIBUTING factor in the equation along with my other two factors being the Randy Ayers addition and the non option of not being able to play Etan Thomas and Ruffin. I said 3 factors would the cause not one.

AD gets burned just as much or more than Gil, but the key point between him and Gil is he does not cheat at defense as much Gilbert and that makes a heck of a difference with overall good team defensive play.

If you played football before and played on defense and you were running a zone, you are responsible for your area. Do not leave it no matter what is goig on. The same concept is in playing defense in basketball. Yea, yea I know, the Wiz are not running a 1/2/ 2, 2/3, 1/3/1 or Box and 1 zone in the NBA. So what's point, you ask? They are running a hybrid man to man ala zone when it presents itself defense. Thus if you are running a semi-zone you need to stay in your area with your man....!!

Here is the problem with Gilbert vs. AD. Gilbert cheats and slids down way to far in the paint and plays the passing lanes way to much where he is biting on every fake pass. AD on the other hand stays within himself and does not over commit. Does that make AD a way better man defender than Gilbert? Of course not, but he is a link in the chain that must always stay linked to the rest of the chain. Get my drift now, Gilbert does not stay with the chain and thus there we go having defensive problems. AD's problem is his legs are gone and he up in age so he can not close down on shooters in time.

Gilbert on the other hand is fully capable of being a lock down defender if he ever decides too. Gilbert is our first line of defense and if he is letting his man blow past him at will he is then hurting the rest of the defense because they have to cover for him. Thus the low ranking when he was playing last year. But again not the only main reason.......! Just one of the three.

Go back to some of the past games when Wilks was in the game playing defense. He was ball hawking to the point the 5 did not have to come out and flash and they did not have to double team because the point guards were not blowing pass him like they do with Gilbert and AD.

The first line of defense is everything. This is where we miss somebody like DTaylor. Again with a another owner we would have had the luxary of keeping him on the team, or going after somebody like Brevin Knight or signing Wilks to give us some defense at the top of the key to help our premiter defense and the entire defense as a whole.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

In order for you to have great O and great D, you have to have great two way players like Duncan and KG, etc. There aren't too many of those, especially bigs. Either that or you have to at least have exceptional offensive guys mixed in with exceptional defensive guys on the floor at the same time. Kinda like what Detroit did with Big Ben years ago. They had 4 guys who were quite good scoring therefore they didn't need Big Ben.

The Wiz only have BTH and DS who are a little better than average defenders. The big three are most strong offensively. That's just the mix we have and if in the coming years we can add some really athletic defensive bigs, we can be a much bigger threat as contenders.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama
-----------------------------------------

AD has his own problem to stay with quick guards; namely, quickness. Gilbert, OTOH, has the tool, but he is just not a good on-ball defender. I hope someday he will be, but he is not, at least not yet (or he may never be, I don't have the crystal ball).

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 8, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

More is expected when you get paid more, and Gilby is better paid than AD, by far, and AD is a backup, not a starter, in this league.

People keep saying DS is a great perimeter defender also. Yeah sure. He's good, capable, but not all that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting, Bullets Fever. You make this blog (occasionally) worth reading again.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Bullets Fever, you have officially taken the title of 'King of Long Posters" from GM. GM, you're slipping. ;)

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 2:17 PM

My bad, Mark. I will work on cutting them down. Sometimes I get "caught in the moment". There are just certain subjects that strike a nerve with me and I have to get clarity on. I will give GM back his title today.....

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I remember that Gil was a defender coming into the league in Golden State. But the biggest contracts go to scorers, not defenders. It's no wonder defense is an afterthought, It would be for me, too.
That having been said, I agree wholeheartedly about the small quick PG, BF1. Donnell was decent about guarding those guys. My only thing is this...no one can guard those small quick guys. If other teams are finding out a way to defend (force them into the trees in the middle. hint hint) then we should be able to figure it out. And you right on in that Gil cheats to get steals. It's a bad habit that he and Larry developed when competing for the steals lead a couple years ago. All it takes to correct that is good coaching. He's been out all year. We should not expect him to be at his best defensively yet. The other guys on the team aren't playing great D and they've had it drilled into their heads every day. Why expect Gil to come in and start shutting ppl down when he's missed 90% of the defensive practices? It's one thing to sit on the sidelines and watch another to participate.
He's not blameless in all of this but he has the skills to excel on defense. He just needs the coach pounding it into his skull. The rest of the guys need to commit to it, too. What we should be doing is making the team watch film of the great defensive teams in the league and allowing them to correlate defense to victories.
While the Rockets were on their streak, I would have been drilling 'rockets, rockets, rockets into the team's heads every day. It was the perfect opportunity to show them how hustle and teamwork can get W's even without great physical talent.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Puhleaze...Gilby was a gunner in Arizona, was a gunner in GS, and will always be a gunner. The funniest thing is that Gilby scored 14 technicals during his second season at GS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"I predict that we will be the Wiz of old when the playoffs start. Our D will be average and our O will be good. Fortunately, I think that if we're healthy, that might be good enough to get us to the Finals.

Posted by: mark | April 8, 2008 2:36 PM "

As smoke fills your room........

Why don't you call the VC ticket office and reserve your finals tickets right now?

LMAO!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Gil as a gunner gave us the best chance to win. Gil going all-out on O, resting on D, playing 48 minutes night in night out- that was what used to give us the best chance to win.

But that was then, this is now. We have a bench now. Even when he is fully healthy, from now on Gil should be playing around 35 minutes per night. But they should be sustained, high-intensity minutes at both ends of the floor.

Posted by: Gunner | April 8, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, no D in the post season means no success, just short lived hype.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"I see a twist here. I don't recall anybody has ever said Gilbert was the "only reason.""

Then maybe you need to up your dosage of ginkgo biloba.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:30 AM

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"I did not say or mean Gilbert not playing 66 games is the ONLY reason for the increase in rankings. "

Oh, you definitely said it. Whether or not you actually meant it or are simply backpedaling after the fact in the face of contrary evidence ... well that's another issue.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"As for the quick guards and the moaning on the posts afterwards, what I and many other people were trying to say was that is where we missed having the ability to keep somebody like DTaylor on the bench for ultra quick guards. Gilbert and/or AD could and can not handle any of them so what is your point? I never tried to say AD is not getting smoked too."

Putting aside the fallacy that Donnell Taylor was some kind of defensive stopper ...

What you did say and were clearly implying was that the overall defensive scheme they employ this season is essentially no different than what they've done in prior seasons, and that since Gilbert was routinely beaten by such players, his absence was primary ("only") reason their defense has improved. But if Daniels gets beaten just as often (if not more) than Gilbert, then how can that be? Obviously, if they're having the same problem with the point guard containing dribble penetration with or without Gilbert, yet the overall defensive efficiency has improved, then quite clearly (A) Gilbert's absence isn't the only reason for the improvement and (B) they're doing something differently this year than last with regards to how they respond/react to dribble penetration to result in the lower opponents' FG%.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Like last week, people were on BTH's case for letting Bogut go wild. Well, BTH was helping out on defending Gilby's man every time he was on the court. The big man always has to help out in this defense, and that usually ends up being an easy bucket for the guy BTH had to leave."

Okay, so if we accept that as true, that might explain Bogut's performance (20 pts, 10 rebs, 5 asst) in the 100-109 loss on April 2. It fails, however, to explain Bogut's performance (18 pts, 15 rebs, 6 asst) in the 102-105 loss on Jan. 27, since Gilbert didn't play, thus he couldn't have been responsible for Haywood allowing Bogut to "go wild."

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

New theory of the crime: Perhaps Bogut is simply a better player than people give him credit for and the Wizards have trouble containing him?

Nah. That's impossible. Crazy talk. It's gotta be Gilbert's fault. nothing else makes sense.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:44 PM
============

Everyone knows you have to score at least 20 points to officially go wild, as defined in Webster's... sheesh!

In all seriousness, Bogut's a very good player, quick and obviously has some skill, the team is just in shambles, but they always play us tough because of their shooting range.

Good to read that Jamison participated in a full practice with no shoulder issues, welcome back, but please make sure you're healthy!!

Posted by: CN | April 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Only BTH and DSS focus on defense first. Our other players including GA and CB3 are offense first, defense second. At least AJ has made an effort to improve his defense this year. Doesn't matter who we hire as our "defense" coach; you need players who are truly committed to playing lockdown defense like Boston and Detroit. Any coincidence that San Antonio and Detroit always advance far in the playoffs? They have talented players, but they focus on defense first which wins in the playoffs.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 8, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"And that's not even taking into account the Wizards March 11, 97-105 win over the Bucks in which Gilbert also did not play yet Bogut still went "wild" to the tune of 23 pts, 12 rebs, 4 assts, and 3 blks.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:58 PM "

Why am I not surprised that mr. anti-BTH wrote this?

Of course Bogut is good, which is why EJ can't afford to have BTH leave him to help Gilby out.

You can look at that March 11 game and see that Bogut threw up 22 shots. That's about double what he usually throws up.

Then you'll also see that BTH played only 25 minutes and had one foul, although he was productive with 15 pts., 6 boards (4 OR), and 5 blocks. BTH's minutes went to AB, who can't guard the bigger man, and DMac, who in 15 minutes laid an egg and had 3 boards.

kalorama should accept the fact that each is different. Just because you can beat a team one day, doesn't mean you can beat them the next day.

What we did see in this recent Bucks game is that predictably so, EJ/Ayers had the other Les Boules players give Gilby defensive help in his first game back. BTH is good at defending his own man, but not so good at switching off and running back and forth to help others.

"It fails, however, to explain Bogut's performance (18 pts, 15 rebs, 6 asst) in the 102-105 loss on Jan. 27, since Gilbert didn't play, thus he couldn't have been responsible for Haywood allowing Bogut to "go wild.""

In this game, the numbers by Bogut, an obviously talented player, were helped as a result of the game going into OT.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"I've got to agree with kal. The Wiz only have one legit big man in BTH and he too often is forced to leave his man to cut off penetration by quicker PG's on other teams. If we defended the perimeter better with our PG's, BTH could focus on covering his man and not having to constantly flash to help out. People also should accept the fact that Bogut is a flat out better player than BTH....even though BTH is having his best year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 8, 2008 4:36 PM "

Uhhh, that's what I'm saying, not kalorama.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 8, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 3:18 PM

Bro. I put down "3" factors, not just one referencing Gil as the "only" problem. I am not seeing how you are equating me to saying I meant only Gil, I am totally lost on your logic here. Lastly, I don't backpedal unless I'm back playing corner again and bro that has been a while.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

'Bro. I put down "3" factors, not just one referencing Gil as the "only" problem."

Sorry cuz, but like it or not, you said this:

"The only reason the defensive standings went up is because Gilbert was not out there the past 66 games this season. Wow, guess what better "team" defense resulted."

"Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:30 AM"

You then offered some elaboration, but your argument stemmed from this initial point. A point which is wildly off the mark.

Sorry cuz, but (to paraphrase Rasheed Wallace) the screen text don't lie.

Posted by: kalorama | April 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Memo to all....Please do read your post at least 10 times before you submit (I mean EACH word) OR the Great Kalorama will get you.

Posted by: FT | April 8, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

kalorama is an arrogant idiot who would stop reading the whole post once he finds something juicy to nitpick at. What can you say?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 8, 2008 8:12 PM

I guess nothing. I noticed the same thing.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Join the club anon and BF#1,

I've said that before about KAL. Debate is fine in here, but to debate you first have to put your own initial thoughts and opinions out there to be liked or disliked by others. Trolling to nitpick others grammar, or mistakes, or solely to find some fault with another post is annoying to say the least. He does have many intelligent reasoned ideas, but, for instance, he got very indignant when I took apart one of his posts awhile back. So, apparently what is good for the goose is not good for the gander. Sometimes it is really ok to agree to disagree! But, he is right and that is it.

Posted by: Rob P | April 9, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

BF#1, did some back reading/catching up. By your logic all NBA perimeter players or most do not have a preferred hand or side? Or even pet moves? Seriously? So all the league announcers I hear talking on the NBA package about whomever should take away this move or make a certain player drive a certain direction are wrong? Hell, even LeBron would prefer to go right not left. Is he better than the average guy at the gym doing such, sure. But, you have to play the percentages!!!

Again, where is all this gimmick defense talk coming from??? Do we play the 2-3 or box-in-one? NO! By the definition discussed in here, every team in the NBA plays zone. Help defense and rotations ARE a part of man to man defense. Also, if DS plays his man to go to the "help" in the defensive scheme and it does not get covered, guess what, it's the other guys fault. The most I'll cede on this point is that we sag into the lane while still maintaining one on one assignments. Hence, we are worst in the league at guarding the 3 point shot, but it's better than the layup line I've seen in the past from this group although, perhaps, not championship material just yet. Remember too, our "coach of the year" basically sent Thibedou to the Celtics with the cold reception he received. Guess what? The Celtics are the best defensive team in the league! Would we be? Maybe not, but IMO we would be even better than we are now. Another overlooked great idea by EG.

Posted by: Rob P | April 9, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

BF, you do realize how ridiculous you're making yourself look, right?

You can piss and moan all you want about your "3 factors" but that doesn't change the fact that you did, without question, start the whole thing off by saying Gilbert missing 66 games was the "ONLY REASON" for the defensive improvement.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 9:30 AM

The fact that you said other stuff after it doesn't change that fact. Now, if you want to backpedal, turn tail, retreat, or whatever you prefer to call it and now claim that you didn't really mean it, misspoke, spoke prematurely, changed your mind, or were flat out wrong, then fine. Simply man up and say one of those things and we won't have a problem. But for you to repeatedly claim that you never actually said something that you quite clearly (and in black-and-white with a timestamp) did say:

• I did not say or mean Gilbert not playing 66 games is the ONLY reason for the increase in rankings. Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 4:43 PM
  • I am not seeing how you are equating me to saying I meant only Gil

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | April 8, 2008 4:43 PM

• ...is simply ludicrous and robs you of what little credibility you had to begin with. Trying to deny you said something that you are clearly documented as saying makes you look like you're either unable or afraid to defend your own stated position in the face of dissent. To repeatedly deny saying it just makes you look rather silly. But to accuse someone else of "arrogance" while engaged in such self-deluded denial makes you look like a massive hypocrite.

Take your pick. They all look fitting from here.

Posted by: kalorama | April 11, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse