Tuesday update

-A few final thoughts on last night's wild finish in two cities: I know LeBron James is the man and all but does he really get three steps and a stumble before making a pass? Really?

-That was a foul by Samuel Dalembert on Devin Brown, no question and the call was made before time expired so the refs got it right.

-Weird scene at the VC. We didn't have a tv monitor on the Philly/Cleveland game so we were going by the updated info at nba.com. So, once that game went "final" we all filed first edition stories saying that the Wizards were still alive for fourth. Oops. By the time I was walking back to the locker room, I heard different and had to call my editor for the quick fix. Dewey beats Truman right?

-No practice today so guys like Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson will get some much needed rest. Eddie Jordan, who was not in a good mood when he met with reporters after last night's game, said he hopes Arenas and Butler can at least play some tomorrow night in Orlando. I wouldn't be surprised if they made DeShawn sit one out. X-rays on his tailbone were negative but he's been in severe pain and needs to be ready for the playoffs.

-My guess is that Game 1 of Wiz/Cavs will be Sunday. Don't you think the NBA will want LeBron/Gilbert as the featured game? We won't officially know until early Thursday morning. The extra day of rest would help the Wizards as well the stretched out nature of the playoffs in general. No back-to-backs.

By Ivan Carter |  April 15, 2008; 12:11 PM ET
Previous: The Shove That Shook The East | Next: Barkley: Wizards "Dumbest Team In History"

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Carter and Lee -- smarter than thee!

Posted by: Omar McGoldberg | April 15, 2008 12:35 PM

2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DJ | April 15, 2008 12:38 PM

Why would the starters play at all against Orlando? Wouldn't we be better off starting and playing the young guys for the entire game? It's not like the starters are gonna get out of shape for sitting one game. We'd be better off having a really intense practice (focusing on defense) and letting the big guys sit it out.

Posted by: mark | April 15, 2008 12:44 PM

AJ, CB and DS ought to sit this one out. The chemistry is there for these guys.

GA should play with the usual 2nd unit (Blatche, Song, Mason or Young) that will play back-up in the first round of the playoffs.

Eddie needs to take a day off.

Posted by: Izman | April 15, 2008 12:50 PM

The young guys will need rest too, don't think they can make it the full 48. I don't think any of the big guys (Starting 5 & Arenas) will play more than 20 mins. That leaves another 5 guys (assuming Stevenson's out) to divide the remaining 148 minutes. We may be a bit short at guard, especially if Arenas, Stevenson, and Butler (I know he's a forward...) are out.

It'll be good to have the big guys play in a couple 10-minute stretches to keep the muscle memory going. Please, nobody get hurt!!

Posted by: CN | April 15, 2008 12:51 PM

They can't sit out all the starters, if for no other reason than because they don't have enough bodies to field a team that way. They've only got 12 healthy players to begin with. They'll likely sit one or two of the starters (Deshawn and Butler would be mu guesses) and play the rest no more than 20-25 minutes.

Posted by: kalorama | April 15, 2008 12:52 PM

Ivan,

You're surprised he got three steps and a stumble? It's now the playoffs. He can tuck the ball under his arm at half court, take 10 steps, pull a Heisman on Haywood and shove him out of the way AND get the blocking call!

Posted by: TG | April 15, 2008 1:12 PM

The calls that they miss against LeBron make me sick.

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | April 15, 2008 1:14 PM

"The calls that they miss against LeBron make me sick."
Posted by: Soup's Uncle | April 15, 2008 1:14 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, and it always seems to go against the Wizards.

Posted by: DoubleA | April 15, 2008 1:18 PM

If the NBA screws this series up by blowing calls or interfering in the outcome of games (see PHO/SAS) they'll lose the fan base!

Posted by: West Coast Wizard | April 15, 2008 1:20 PM

Is it just me, or does Labron's face always look like he has diareha...

Posted by: oddjob | April 15, 2008 1:22 PM

Why was EJ mad?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:23 PM

It's funny how CAV's fans are acting like they are Wiz fans and say stuff like...

"...but there is no way they win more than 2 games this series, and I'm being generous with the two. AJ may not have to guard Gooden anymore, but he's not scoring very much with Varejao and Wallace guarding him 24/7. Z is having the best season of his career and will make a fool out of Haywood. LeBron will do his thing, and embarrass Stevenson, he'll probably also guard Arenas more than we think as he's quietly become a very above average defender. Pavlovic may be gone, but he really hasn't been there all season, and Devin Brown and Damon Jones (his likely replacement) are both playing very well right now.... I don't see how the Wiz can do anything but complain all the way to a 3rd straight early playoff exit."

Yeah we believe you, you are a big Wiz Fan.

Too bad we don't have many Wiz fans that are losers with a lot of time on their hands and do the same on the Cav's site. If any wiz fans do have time, please go to the CAV's site and talk trash too.

Get the hell out of our Forum and worry about your own damn team.

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 15, 2008 1:25 PM

EJ was mad because the Wiz should have shut the door on the Pacers in the 3d quarter but the Wiz did not guard very well last night. AJ's defense was very bad last night and N.Young played very well in the first half but he was completely lost when he got in the game in the second half. The kids needs to come in ready to play all the time -- he was just lost -- had he played well in the second half, EJ could have rested AD more.

As for LeBron, he did not pass, the shot was blocked by Dalembert. The refs should have called the travel of the bumping on LeBron, something should have been called or nothing should have been called. The call against Dalemebert was legit but did he get pushed by Z?

Should be a great series against the Cavs. Everyone go get your playoff tickets or buy them from stubhub, but don't let the Verizon Center be filled with Cleveland fans!! COME ON!!!

Posted by: Chad | April 15, 2008 1:28 PM

It was a foul on Dalembert AFTER Igoulskas pushed him into Brown. Check out the replay.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 1:32 PM

It isn't just LeBron who is allowed to travel without drawing a whistle. Arenas takes that third step almost every time he drives to the basket and never gets called for it, and others do it, too. Often, guys will get the ball in the low post and shuffle their feet or change their pivot foot without a call. The NBA has gotten somewhat better at enforcing the rule against travelling, but I would still say that it is only called 50-60 percent of the times that it should be called. The same with carrying the ball.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 15, 2008 1:37 PM

By the way, my prediction yesterday (made on the post) was that Roger mason would have a huge game and hit no less than 5 three pointers. Guess I hit that one right on the nail.

Anyways, Caron and DeShawn are definetly out on Wednesday, but do you DeShawn will start for the first minute just to keep his streak alive? Also, I feel that our team as been playing at a different level these past few games. Our passing has been very crisp, even our bench looked so synchronized on the offensive end yesterday. Songalia is going to be the very critical to our success in the playoffs, especially if AJ or Haywood gets into foul trouble. Besides Jamison, he is our only legitimate low post threat we have on our team. When the jumpers aren't falling, we can feed him the ball and he takes care of the rest. Also, I feel that Roger Mason has to continue driving to the basket because the Cav's scouting report on him say he's a three point assasain. However, Mason has proved his abililty to drive and finish at the basket time and time again. That way defenders will have to respect him and back off, that leaves space for an easy three for Mason.

We are all very excited to see a rested healthy Wizards team for game 1 against the Cav's. We need to come out firing on all cylinders and COVER THE THREE POINT SHOT! Our offense can outscore just about anyone when we're clicking, but we need to atleast close our on open shooters. That is why D-Mac will be valuable in the playoffs, because he has hops and gets that hand in the shooters face and disrupts the rythem. Maybe, D-Mac can guard Lebron a little in the playoffs. Think about that one Eddie.

Posted by: rock | April 15, 2008 1:43 PM

Posted by: Rook | April 15, 2008 1:44 PM

The calls that they miss against LeBron make me sick.

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | April 15, 2008 1:14 PM

I used to believe that they "missed" those calls too.... Now, I know otherwise. They don't "miss" those calls, they intentionally DON'T CALL THEM!!!

Posted by: Rook | April 15, 2008 1:46 PM

Lebron will get away with a few of those travel calls every game. However, the Wizards have the firepower to not even let the game get that close. If we knock down our freethrows (which we've been struggling to do lately), we won't let Lebron have a chance to put the game in the referee's hand. Also, yes Gilbert gets away with it too, but not as much. Also, Gilbert is alot quicker (yes he is), so it's not that obvious. Lebron is so huge, that it's so obvious when he travels. Also, Nick Young carries the ball SOO much when he dribbles, he will definetly be called for it in the playoffs. Eddie needs to set him straight with that crossover dribble.

I'm afraid Caron will be a little rusty game 1 of the playoffs. He was just starting to find his rhythem and 3 point range prior to this injury. I hope he atleast tries to drive to the basket and get the Cavs in early foul trouble. Jamison and Daniels really need to get their free throws crisis straight. They've been terrible as of late. Mason, Arenas, and Butler have been our only consistent free throw shooters as of late.

Posted by: rock | April 15, 2008 1:50 PM

"I know LeBron James is the man and all but does he really get three steps and a stumble before making a pass? Really?"

Ivan, how long have you been covering basketball? Please, you're just wasting space.

And the fact the Lebron was totally beside himself as those last two free throws were going in tells me that he knew the League handed them a post-season gift.

Gonna throw this little nugget out there before the Cavs series: Larry Hughes will NOT be guarding Gilbert Arenas this time.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | April 15, 2008 2:03 PM

Lebron James could have a full head of steam and run over a guy, and the guy will get called for a block.
Lebron James could shoot a man, and the man will be blamed for not getting out of the way.

Posted by: playoff beard | April 15, 2008 2:13 PM

I would think Stevenson takes some pride in his consecutive game streak, and will push to start tomorrow. I have no problem with him playing 60 seconds tomorrow.

As for the Cavs and the referees, I will never forget this sequence from either last year's playoffs, or the year before:

LeBron takes a short jumper from the left side. The ball goes in. LeBron lands near or on the foot of a Wizards player (I think Etan) and falls down. Jarvis has taken the ball out of bounds after the basket, and just as the ball leaves his hands on the inbounds pass, the refs call a foul on the shot because LeBron fell down. I don't think I've ever seen a later call than that.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 2:14 PM

Was funny last night when they showed a clip of Lebron responding to Gil. He said he'll be ready, "Once I get some gas under my belt..." and Buckhantz said, "I should get him some Mylanta." Whatever the case, Wiz will win this series in 6...too many weapons for Cavs to deal with.

Posted by: T-Train | April 15, 2008 2:29 PM

Ditto. Wiz in 6. 5 if our shots are falling.

Posted by: mark | April 15, 2008 2:35 PM

Posted by: West Coast Wizard | April 15, 2008 1:20 PM

The Gilby fans are already making excuses. Cavs in 5, you heard it here first!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:36 PM

Someone compared LeTravel to Gil.
Don't make me laugh.

Sure a lot of people travel in the NBA, but Lebron has made a career of it. Too much is too much.

Posted by: sodumb | April 15, 2008 2:36 PM

THOSE MISTAKES BY THE LAKE,WITH THEIR BITTER, FRONT RUNNING,UNEMPLOYED,MAYONAISE SANDWICH EATING, PO ASS,NO NUTHIN,UGLY BAG FACE CHEERLEADERS,GOOFBALL NO NUTHIN COACH,ARE GOING DOWN IN THESE PLAYOFFS AND THAT INCLUDES YOU TOO LEBRON LETRAVEL.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 15, 2008 2:43 PM

DC MANN88,

Please get a virus and disappear. You're an awful wizards fan. This is the problem with our whole fantasy sports generation and the internet in general. Everyone has a voice, which is good and bad. Your negative comments are so distasteful compared to all the hope and passion other users bring. Sure you can be critical of the team-play or coaching which is fine. Its just the "HO-Hum" attitude with a comment like "Cavs in 5" Are you kidding??!! You're such a nestor.

"I calls it likes I sees it", right?

Some dumb**s remark like that will soon follow my post. Go to the Cavs message board and enjoy the hate over there.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | April 15, 2008 2:54 PM

I like it:

"Damon Jones needs to find his rear end planted in the second row - the first time he touches the ball!!"

Agreed.

"Cavs in 5"???? Are you a Wiz fan at all???? Why would a Wiz fan post something like that? Don't answer me, please.

I liked the Mylanta comment, too!

Posted by: Frosty Freeze | April 15, 2008 3:42 PM

Burg w/ a U,

Please stop feeding the troll.

Thanks

Posted by: Crunkenstein | April 15, 2008 3:45 PM

The Gilby fans are already making excuses. Cavs in 5, you heard it here first!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:36 PM

What? on the Wizards Insider forum? You've got to be kidding, right?

This is my town and this is my team, GO WIZARDS!!!

Posted by: rgz | April 15, 2008 3:46 PM

The Gilby fans are already making excuses. Cavs in 5, you heard it here first!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:36 PM

From the consumate Wizard's "fan".

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 3:52 PM

Now he'll (DC Man88) will try to say that someone else was posting using his name.......

Posted by: Rook | April 15, 2008 3:54 PM

The Gilby fans are already making excuses. Cavs in 5, you heard it here first!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 2:36 PM

Apparently only GA fans want the Wizards to win.

I used to think you had actual solid criticism against GA, and that criticism was based solely on your desire to see the Wizards as a better team (presumably without Arenas). It's now pretty evident that you're not actually a Wizards fan at all, but somehow get some sort of pleasure in seeing GA and the Wizards fail.

If you're going to criticize, at least attempt to bring some sort of semi-tangible evidence to support your argument.

Posted by: psps23 | April 15, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 3:59 PM

My bad Crunk,

I just hate that Sh*t!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | April 15, 2008 4:09 PM

Posted by: Rook | April 15, 2008 3:54 PM

I sure get a big laugh out of everyone spending their time mocking me, which is what happened AGAIN you LOSERS. The anonymous poster is mostly correct, Cavs win but I think it takes 6 games unless CBut gets hurt. Gilby will give up more points than he scores.

Everyone that wants to be me needs to STOP NOW!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 15, 2008 4:23 PM

The boy just likes to say sh*t and watch people wig out. How long will it take for you folks to stop taking the bait?

Having said that, calling the Cavs in 5 is not an unreasonable prediction, considering the physical condition of key Wiz players, the playoff history between these two teams, and the official deference given to LeTravel.

But this year it'll be the Wiz in 5. Thanks to Danny Ferry's poor work as GM, there are fewer quality pieces to cover up for Mike Brown's poor work as coach. LeBron can cover a multitude of sins, but this year there are too many. Think about it: they needed a cheap call last night just to keep a razor-thin edge over the injury-depleted Wiz.

Guys like Caron, Antawn, Antonio, and Darius are going to will this Cavs monkey right off their backs this year in a convincing manner.

Posted by: Prazak | April 15, 2008 4:28 PM

It's funny how DCMan says "you heard it here first" as though his prediction is new or unprecedented. I'm pretty sure we've all heard that prediction somewhere before. Try again Miss Cleo.

Posted by: JE | April 15, 2008 4:30 PM

I didn't mind DeShawn's comment because at some point, someone had to knock LeTravel down a few pegs. Gilbert's comments, though, concerned me, in that he shouldn't let on that they wanted a specific team. My main criticism of Gil has always been that he talks too damn much. Two years ago, he said he wanted the Wiz-Cavs series to go seven games because it would be entertaining. I shook my head because I couldn't believe that. A guy like Tim Duncan would never say anything like that, but you can believe he's thinking about taking a team out in four games. Drama is nice for the fans and analysts and advertisers. But it shouldn't be what a player wishes for. Gil should be wishing for a four-game sweep. But most importantly, he should be keeping his mouth shut. He gets caught up in a war of words too much, a war he'll usually win. But games aren't decided by verbal dexterity.

That said, I like the way Gil has come back. He's pushed the action, he's starting to get his feet underneath him (he looked stronger against Philly). His defense, while still below average, is improving. He's added a nice dimension to this team, and that will be important in the Cavs series. If he's coming off the bench, then he's better than any second unit guy Cleveland will throw at Washington.

Posted by: Colin | April 15, 2008 4:35 PM

Miss Cleo!!!!!! Genius!

Posted by: Frosty Freeze | April 15, 2008 4:36 PM

People here love the plus/minus stats. Well check out Lebrons. If Gil's numbers were like that he'd be getting ripped bad.

Half empty: For the eighth time in 11 games, the Cavs had a better plus/minus with LeBron off the floor than on it. It's +46 in 113 minutes without him and -46 in 410 minutes with him. Yes, there were some blowouts in there, but look closer and most were close games. It is a weird trend that hints at how the new group has failed to gel with the superstar.

Posted by: KJD | April 15, 2008 4:37 PM

I don't mind that the Wizards are running their mouths, as long as they realize running their mouths comes with responsibility -- to back it up, or they will look like chumps.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 4:38 PM

I'm wavering back and forth whether Caron should sit out or play a little. If he's still sore he should sit out. If not he should be out there so he can get back in the flow.

Arenas should play about 30 minutes. He needs to get in shape and get his wind. I wish he would have played Mon. night too. His reason for playing is stricly for conditioning and getting that confidence.

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 15, 2008 4:47 PM

The vets should get a couple of minutes each against Orlando just to stay game ready, how much depends on what SVG does with his starters to some extent... but there is no point risking people's bodies at this point (Cleveland losing Pavolvic a good example here).

The NBA will market the heck out of the Wiz-Cavs series and we do have a decent chance of advancing... shutting down the kick-out 3s is critical.

Posted by: khrabb | April 15, 2008 4:58 PM

If I'm the NBA, I'd want Kobe v. Melo/Iverson as my featured game.

We should stick D-Mac on Lebron for 10 minutes a game.

Posted by: Dellis | April 15, 2008 5:02 PM

"Cav's in 5"

Are we putting real money on that one?

Posted by: GM | April 15, 2008 5:15 PM

$7000

Posted by: DCMan88 | April 15, 2008 5:21 PM

$7000

Posted by: DCMan88 | April 15, 2008 5:21 PM

I'm honestly going to Vegas tomorrow for 3 days, so what a coincedence. I'm "LOL" and "LMAO" and "ROFL". Go Wiz

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 5:23 PM

If I recall the details for round one usually come out Wednesday night during the second game of the ESPN double-header. With the east set there are now fewer variables. I hope that we get the prime Sunday slot. When it looked like we would have a Suns-Lakers match-up, I knew we would not. But it looks like Lakers will get first seed and the anticipated Kobe-Shaq thing will have to wait. Spurs-Suns has less entertainment juice to the casual fan. I think we may get the prime slot now. Hope so. They may give it to us because they anticipate a shorter series.

You may remember that they often have weird gaps in the first round also. Actually, I will be out of the area for 3 days next week so I hope they have that big gap again!

Anyway...let's get Wednesday night behind us with no bruises and get to the second season. I don't even think biased refs can stop us this time. I predicted 5 games the other day but can see 4 or 5 games as I think about it more. Cavs just don't have much support for James. I think he knows it too.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 15, 2008 5:26 PM

Also when they drafted DMac I envisioned him as a Labron-stopper and said so on this forum. I think that's what Ernie saw in him potentially. However not yet. He hasn't been given enough experience this year. Fouls too much. his rebounding, passing, hustle are great. But his on ball defense is not there yet. EJ may in a desperate moment try him and it would be interesting because physically he is the best match-up.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 15, 2008 5:30 PM

The Philly/Cle game last night could be one that changes the landscape of their season, so we better be ready and on point for the series over the next couple of weeks.

Got my figures crossed for tomorrow night's final game, hope we get through it injury free...

Posted by: CN | April 15, 2008 5:31 PM

I see DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM is becoming a lazy bastard again, screaming his $h!t on the forum. Take the fooking CAPS LOCK off you b!atch!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 6:18 PM

DMac has some great defensive skills but closing out and learning how to play in space on the wings is kinda new to him. All season long, experienced SF's took him to task and they weren't even close to LeTravel's talents. Dunleavy even took him to task a few times on the perimeter last night. That's just not gonna cut it in the playoffs.

Maybe next year after a hard summer of working out, he can start to feel more comfortable guarding wings since all his time at Fresno St was guarding post players. He's going to be a great role player especially without scoring the ball, but it's unlikely he's gonna contribute much in these playoffs.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 6:23 PM

Yeah, I was going to mention that against DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM, who seems to know better but apparently he doesn't care to. A shame what today's youth has become.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 6:26 PM

McGuire has the potential to be a solid contributor off the bench, but he needs to stop hanging around with Andray Blatche, because more and more he seems to be adopting Blatche's habit of grabbing a defensive rebound and tearing ass up the floor with his head down while ignoring the nearby PG guard calling for the ball.

Posted by: kalorama | April 15, 2008 6:28 PM

Posted by: | April 15, 2008 6:18 PM

I think this time he was actually shouting, exercised and agitated! We need diehard fans,GO WIZARDS!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 6:29 PM

oops that was me ^

Posted by: rgz | April 15, 2008 6:30 PM

I love it when people make comments like:

"I agree with a lot of the posters that the Wiz vets should rest during Wed's game. However, I don't think they should sit out the game completely. They should play about 20-25 minutes. They need a little game action to stay in sync."

How the heck do any of us know what a professional athlete needs to stay in sync??

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 6:52 PM

I love it when people make stupid comments anon.

We don't know what a professional athlete needs you A-hole, we are just giving our opinions. That's what this forum is for Dumb AS3

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 15, 2008 8:45 PM

I love it when people make stupid comments anon.

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 15, 2008 8:45 PM

Looks like Pavlovic will miss the first round against us.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 15, 2008 8:57 PM

NOT BEING LAZY JUST WANTED TO GET US WIZ FANS "PUMPED UP" For the "BEAT DOWN" now back to serious business the bench will be huge in this series EJ has to be smart about the minutes the starters will play.Gilbert has to be a leader when he is on the floor and keep everyone involved offensively and make Cleveland exhaust their limited resources I think EJ will definitely outcoach Mike Brown, they need to play stellar defense from game one on.GO WIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 15, 2008 9:58 PM

I dont know why so may people are saying the Wiz are healthy...how long has it been since CB has had a typical CB game? He is obviously not completely healed. GA is nowhere near 100%. AJ hasnt had his outside shot go in consistently forever and AD has a bad hand and his shooting percentage is off because of it. This is more like the walking wounded heading into the playoffs. I'd love to see them shut Labron up, but it doesnt seem likely to me unless Cleveland is just as messed up. Would love to see a completely healthy Wiz team in the playoffs just once.

Posted by: oddjob | April 15, 2008 10:08 PM

I can't believe how much fear is on the blog. Everyone is scared of Lebron, scared that DS and GA said what they did. I'm elated someone finally called out Lebron. I mean he's great but so was Kobe, in fact Kobe's better and had a better supporting cast and still couldn't get out of the first round. I mean come on. remember how everyone said Plaxico Buress was the stupidest man alive when he predicted a Giants victory. We all know how that turned out. Lebron is good. But the NBA is sooo slavish dependent on superstars they need to make him into a God to get ratings. He's not,in fact he's really just a kid. Just like Tom Brady his real good until someone hits in the mouth. Thats exactly what the Wiz will do. I know this is not logical or reasonable but i a fan(unlike some people on this blog).I say wizards win in a clean SWEEP!. Thats right a SWEEP.

Posted by: pope | April 15, 2008 10:39 PM

"Arenas takes that third step almost every time he drives to the basket and never gets called for it, and others do it, too." - Palmer

What? What drugs you on? GA is in no way shape or form a habitual traveler! Don't even know where that came from. LeTravel is good enough without getting extra steps when he decides to bull his way to the basket.

Ivan, in your last post you talked about how Dalembert was pushed into Devin Brown by Ilgauskas and then you called it a "definite foul" on Dalembert in this post? Huh???

You know what is great about the playoffs ladies and gentleman? Everything is about to be settled one way or another. Personally, I am tired of the talk back and forth. We'll soon out for real.

Does this team have it or not?

How good is EJ?

Is GA a real winner or just a talented attention seeking ego?

Can we defend the 3 at all or actually run our offense efficiently - passing/assists?

Will AJ wake up from his late season slump especially on defense?

My prediction is if CB is anyway near "healthy" the Wiz will win in 6. This team is too inconsistent to sweep ANYBODY! We couldn't sweep Indiana if we were to play them in the first round. WE'LL SEE SOON ENOUGH!!! Ain't posting again until the playoffs begin. Let's go Wiz!

Posted by: Rob P | April 16, 2008 12:17 AM

Posted by: Rob P | April 16, 2008 12:17 AM

Michael Lee wrote the last post. Ivan wrote this one.

Posted by: jones-y | April 16, 2008 7:59 AM

Posted by: Rob P | April 16, 2008 12:17 AM

"Where that came from" is not letting my status as a Wizards fan cloud my observational skills and my judgement. You should try it sometime. We haven't seen as much of it this year, mainly because he hasn't played very much, and when he has played, he's often passed it off instead of taking it to the hole. But I stand by my assessment that when he does take it all the way to the basket, more often than not, he takes three steps without dribbling the ball, which, under the rules of basketball that I've played under since I was a kid, is travelling.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 16, 2008 9:07 AM

Posted by: Rob P | April 16, 2008 12:17 AM

The refs called what they saw, and they saw Dalembert committing a foul. That other stuff happened before that like a James travel and an Ilgauskas push don't matter cause the refs didn't see them, and didn't call them.

Posted by: rgz | April 16, 2008 9:35 AM

rbpalmer, i've actually noticed the opposite. While his counterpards (Wade, Lebron, etc.) often take three steps on the drive, I've noticed Gil usually is able to complete it in two steps. Not saying he never travels, but he does it a whole lot less than some of the other guards/wings who drive in alot.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 10:04 AM

Wizards fans - do your thing, keep the Sonics in Seattle...

As citizens of the NBA, it falls on the rest of us to help Save the Sonics! I beg you to please post your team/owner's information with the following. Thanks!
We Miami Heat fans have put together a proposed plan of action here: http://thesouthfloridafan.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-help-seattle-keep-their-sonics.html
It involves this:
IMPLORE EVERY NBA MEDIUM TO POST THE ADDRESS OF THEIR OWNERS. IN ADDITION, LETTERS SHOULD INCLUDE SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
"As a form of protest, we vow to boycott any game next season in which the Oklahoma City Sonics play, whether it be in our arena or watching it on television."
Spread this around as much as you can. It's going to take the other teams to prevent this from happening. Let's save the Sonics!

Posted by: EJ | April 16, 2008 10:22 AM

Ain't posting again until the playoffs begin. Let's go Wiz!

Posted by: Rob P | April 16, 2008 12:17 AM

I enjoy your posts - I don't agree all the time - but I enjoy em.

Too bad a certain someone else won't make the same promise NOT to post.....

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 10:28 AM

Ivan:
Are you or another writer going to have the opportunity to ask Abe Pollin how he will vote on Friday re: moving the Sonics to OK City? How about asking someone in the organization how Pollin will vote?

I'd love to see Pollin vote no, but I don't think he's that type of guy.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 10:50 AM

" I know LeBron James is the man and all but does he really get three steps and a stumble before making a pass? Really? "

EXACTLY. It happens at every game with the Cavaliers too -- Lebron James ALWAYS travels and it almost NEVER gets called.

Posted by: Nancy | April 16, 2008 11:09 AM

Star players never get called for traveling and never have. Ewing would come to s top, take a step, then do a bunny hop to get into the paint. On every play. In his prime with the Sonics, Shawn Kemp would pick the ball up at the FT line and gallop down the lane before elevating for a dunk. Don't even talk about MJ or Iverson. It's just a basic reality of the NBA. Stars get favorable calls. There's no point in even complaining about it, because it hasn't changed in the past 20 years, and it's not likely to change any time soon.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2008 11:47 AM

People, please realize that some people do have neglect issues deriving from not getting what they need from their parents as far back as while they were even in the womb. Neglect causes people to seek negative attention. You wonder why some people even cut or stab themselves. They are seeking attention. Negative attention is better than no attention in their minds. They can't control themselves. They don't realize they are doing it. When I do this, please empathize with me. Please be understanding. My mother did not love me or want me. I never knew my father. Please. I can't help myself. Don't you understand.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2008 12:02 PM

DMac should be allowed to guard Lebron at some points during these games and he should be told not to be shy about fouling him. Lebron needs to be treated roughly. Why risk having our starters getting into foul trouble? Barkley should know what he's talking about; he's won so many champoinships:)

Posted by: browneri | April 16, 2008 12:26 PM

The NBA has gotten somewhat better at enforcing the rule against travelling,

Yeah, after they have gotten so much worse over the years. I wonder how many of today's "superstars" would fare in the days when you weren't allowed to travel or carry the ball.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 12:32 PM

Posted by: browneri | April 16, 2008 12:26 PM

Not only that, Barkley always kept his opinions to himself too when he played! lol Hippocrite.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 12:39 PM

OK, fellow Wiz fans, don't overreact to anything that happens in Orlando tonight (unless it's an injury to a Wizard). Don't draw any inferences if things look rough.

Wiz will not sweep the Cavs. It could go the distance, but the Wiz will prevail barring injuries. Mark my words! For a Wiz fan, this was bold of me, I know. But, honestly, I've thought all year, as have many of you, that this was a much better team than the national media realized, easily a 50+ game winning team if not for the extraordinary losses due to injury. I believe the Wiz are going deep in the post-season! Yee-haw! (But I won't be surprised.)

Posted by: 7snider7 | April 16, 2008 1:08 PM

I'm so exciting the Wizards will have another shot at the Cavs in the playoffs. This time, the Wizards will take them out. I'm hoping for a sweep, the Wizards are far more talented than the Cavs, all the Cavs have is Lebron the trade they made helps them no way in scoring. I hope the Wizards knock Lebron around because he has no right to drive to the basket anytime he wants

Posted by: Robert C. | April 16, 2008 1:30 PM

"Not only that, Barkley always kept his opinions to himself too when he played!"

Barkley has never kept his opinions to himself. He's always been a loudmouth who never hesitated to say what was on his mind.

Posted by: kalorama | April 16, 2008 1:43 PM

I remember Barkley telling Michael Jordan that his team would win the playoff series against the Bulls because it was his destiny to win the NBA championship.

Posted by: browneri | April 16, 2008 2:16 PM

Rook is an @sswipe.

I think Les BouleS can beat the Cavs, but DS has no business talking that trash because he's a benchwarmer at best.

Les BouleS chances got better with Sasha P. being out 2-3 weeks, as reported today.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 16, 2008 6:23 PM

Thanks for noticing. I am an @sswipe and I don't believe for one second that you said the Wiz will lose because I know an idiot (ie. mark, sodumb, sri lanka, bangyamom, confucius, etc.) is on this blog using people's names to write garbage.

Posted by: Rook | April 16, 2008 6:25 PM