Wiz at Piston, Arenas to play

Gilbert Arenas will play tonight against the Pistons and if all goes well on that left knee, he will be available tomorrow night against Philly as well, according to Coach Eddie Jordan.

Arenas will still be limited to between 20 and 25 minutes but he's progressed well enough to play a back-to-back if everything checks out. The game he has missed since his return was at Chicago last Saturday night, 24 hours after playing 20 minutes in a win over Miami.
"He's been recovering pretty good after the last two or three games so we'll see," Jordan said. "We'll stay with his minutes, 20 or so and since he's recovering, we'll see if he can play tomorrow night. We think he will be able to."

Rip Hamilton will go tonight for the Pistons. He's been bothered by a sore hip.

By Ivan Carter  |  April 11, 2008; 8:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas Finally Speaks - On His Blog
Next: Sixers at Wizards, Butler out (update)

Comments

Butler started the game as if he was injured (no energy, no motion) and then walked off at the half in pain holding his knee.

We shouldn't play injured stars, particularly before going into the playoffs. Let's hope for the best.

Posted by: Izman | April 11, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Philly lost.
Cavaliers losing.

Down by 12 in the 3rd quarter...Washington needs to dig down and get this one.

Posted by: Rook | April 11, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

71 to 50 in the 3rd.. Washington's packing it in. I hope CP3's injury (reinjury?) isn't too bad.

Posted by: satch | April 11, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

We had a chance to move within 1 game of Cleveland for 4th seed, and blew it.

At least Philly lost also..

Posted by: Rook | April 11, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 11, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

So, anyone still doubt the Pistons? That team is lethal, and is deeper than anyone in the league. I would rather play Boston any day rather than Detroit, they just keep coming at you, and it never seems to stop.

Posted by: Roman | April 11, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

pardon, "CB3". well, at least the wizards got to rest their starters. to be fair, if they'd left them in, I think they would've had a chance. not much of a chance (considering how far down they were), but a chance.

Posted by: satch | April 11, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again!

One game - everything looks great!

Next game - clueless!

This type of inconsistency has at least been consistent this season and it's the reason why I chuckle when EJ gets the COY comments he gets. By the way, he was very close to overplaying Arenas and the starters this game. Let's be honest. This game was over minutes into the 3rd qtr and the bench did not clear until 8 mins left in the 4th. DON'T WE HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT GAME TO PLAY TOMORROW???

Shout out to the Caps and Ovechkin! What a game! Now that's a player you pay MAX money too!!! Great player, complete player, team player, enthusiastic, and a leader of his team at 22! GA does not compare.

I did notice some crazy almost confusing defense we played in the first half. Maybe it's the "zone" defense that keeps getting referred to in here. There was SO much switching and trapping I was getting dizzy.
I cede, as "gimmicky" as I've seen all season and it did not do a damn bit of good!

Posted by: Rob P | April 11, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Whomever brought up CB's lack of aggressiveness recently, which I agreed with then, I think it's even more obvious now. He's not snatching rebounds. He's not blowing by ANYBODY. He's just kind of coasting through the game and taking a few jumpers. GUARANTEE he is not near 100%. If we are going anywhere in the playoffs, we need him much healthier! He had ZERO impact on this game tonight.

Our starting lineup:

Stevenson - all banged up - knee, and other nicks

Daniels - wrist that needs surgery

Jamison - shoulder sprain, worn down

Caron - bad wrist, bad knee, bad hip, etc etc

Haywood - Healthy! - Tough Juice II

Ironically the bench is perfectly HEALTHY!

Pistons made us look soft just after a game where I said we look a lot less soft than in the past. They just manhandled us!!!

Posted by: Rob P | April 11, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Caron had some nice steals and deflections in the 2nd. He may not be 100%, but he's still active. (watching the 11pm replay)

Maxiell clobbered Jamison in trying to get an offensive board and then came down and made sure Deshawn hit the floor hard after getting hacked be the previous defender. Someone needs to repay the favor. Unfortunately, we don't have a guy to keep opposing bigs in line. It's important this time of year not to let the other team think they can manhandle you inside. Maxiell's whole game is to do just that.

I know DS probably wasn't phased and will take it just as hard next time, but it's not the point. If Maxiell drops DS to the floor someone needs to knock his ass to the floor right then. At least a professionally motivated shove or chest bump from Haywood who was right there. If you don't do it, Detroit wins the head game, punks you out. Heck, it doesn't matter who does it so long as you make your point.

Posted by: Pauly B. | April 12, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

There is only one solution to dealing with DC Man88, aka Clewiston88 aka "Clueless":

We are all going to have to abandon this blog, permanently. If this fool posts and no one responds, that won't be good enough. We have to completely leave here and then DC Man88 will be posting to himself. That would be funny and sad. But it's the only way.

This way, Ivan and Mike and the W. Post will realize they should have blocked DC Man88.

We can still read Ivan and Mike's blog entries. But to defeat DC Man88, we have to stop posting and reading the reader posts.

Adios. I'll never be back, and I encourage all sane people to say goodbye, too. Too bad, but there are other blogs and they require signing in and they are moderated to screen out fools like DC Man88.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Pauly, nice post. The Pison's did "PUNK" us!

Plenty of hard fouls, clutching, grabbing, etc... But, instead of "Manning Up" we whined and got crushed. Another "bad" loss as ESPN sportscenter just called it. Remember Detroit had nothing to play for but too punk us out and they did. Weak weak game by the Wiz after one of our best games of the year. If you guys can figure out this team, please tell me. I just say it is a big reflection on coaching IMO!

I will say Pauly that a couple of steals and some perimeter jump shots is not going to get us very far in the playoffs. We need Caron the way he played before the hip injury started his second half injury bug. Otherwise, getting out of the first round is not assured.

Also, if we are stuck in a slot with a game or two left, the starters should not play that game. They need the rest for sure!

Posted by: Rob P | April 12, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Let me ask you guys some questions:

If you lose in the first round again, what do you do with EJ?

Just curious.

Also, I cede even a team with a coach as good as say Jerry Sloan will have 3,4,5,6 bad losses during a season. Well, I submit we're in the 10-12 range. That's enough to put us in position to win the division.

Posted by: Rob P | April 12, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Games like tonight are reasons why I can never have 100-percent faith in this team to do anything in the playoffs. The starters (and bench) get owned by the Pistons bench. It's sad to see.

Posted by: Colin | April 12, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, here it comes. Eddie Jordan is the worst coach ever, this team is the worst ever. Blah blah. Losing happens.It happened before and it will again.Everybody should relax a minute, our guys were beat up, we just came off a big win, and we simply got out played. These things happen but as long as guys can stay relatively healthy and we can maintain some energy on defense. We can continue to to what we've been doing all season, hanging in there. We are no worse for the ware. Philly and Cleavland loss. Tomorrow is the real test in a virtual must win game against Philly to see who gets the 5 spot.

Posted by: pope | April 12, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

The Pistons were in payback mode,still smarting from the national tv loss this past Sunday Philly and Cleveland both lost so the Wiz need to win Saturday night. Rob p dominating the blog tonite with his usual negative comments about EJ,s overuse of CARON and ANTWAN tell us Rob P who would you play, maybe if EJ had a GM and an owner who would get him some help i.e. expand the roster,EJ could manage the rotation a little better and get AJ and CB the rest they deserve but I am sure if he did that with the current state of the roster this team would not be in playoff contention.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 12, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Maxiell is a beast. His physicality, energy, and aggression already made him a handful, now it looks like he's got a bit of a midrange jumper going for him. The Wizards really need a big man with that kind of motor and attack mentality to come in and lay some wood to the opposition. Hopefully Ernie can scrounge something up in the second round.

On a related note, I'm getting worried about Blatche. He really seems like he's sleepwalking out there sometimes.

Posted by: kalorama | April 12, 2008 2:04 AM | Report abuse

right...Blatche looks confused...still?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

THATS WHY YALL ARE SO DAMN STUPID. WIZ F-ING SUCK. THEY ARE GONNA LOSE EASY IN THE FIRST ROUND. GIL GONNA TAKE EM FAR? PLEASE. YOU GUYS ARE STUPID RETARDS.

Posted by: wiz0973 | April 12, 2008 4:45 AM | Report abuse

"Rob p dominating the blog tonite with his usual negative comments about EJ,s overuse of CARON and ANTWAN tell us Rob P who would you play, maybe if EJ had a GM and an owner who would get him some help i.e. expand the roster" - DAR

Sorry your so enthralled with mediocrity. If your talking tonight, no starter should have seen the court in the 4th qtr. The game was long over. And there have been many similar instances throughout the season. I think our bench has been proven to be the best one we've had in a while.
Besides it was just a question that needs to be examined. How many other teams are as banged up as us? Nobody! Oh, if Abe let us sign a D leaguer the minutes would have been better and we would have won more games? What? How did that work out for Miami?

"It's interesting. I watch the Caps, and I never question the effort, the intensity and the ability to run a system. I watch the Wizards, and I don't always get those same feelings." - Colin

Could not have said it better myself. The vaunted system we run I rarely see. How many assists and back door cuts did we see tonight? Supposedly staples of this offense. If it's the players that don't fit his system, well, then EJ needs to go bc we can't overhaul this roster and there is very good talent on it. And our intensity comes and goes. Not good signs for the playoffs. Every time I want to believe in this team, I get slapped in the face!

"Oh yeah, here it comes. Eddie Jordan is the worst coach ever, this team is the worst ever. Blah blah. Losing happens.It happened before and it will again" - Pope

Get a clue. Nobody said he is the worst coach ever. At least I didn't. But, I love the excuse making for this team. With your mentality they'll suck for the next 20 years! We're no more banged up than we were for the Celtics yet we played great and tonight we absolutely stunk. I don't even know how many times I have to say this to the apologists for the team and coach in here, but there are loses and then there are LOSES. Losing to really bad teams or teams missing THEIR star players or losing to good teams that have no incentive to play anymore and the game is over by halftime - bad losses, period! I would have taken a 5/6 point loss to Detroit in Detroit. I just can't handle a complete beat down!

Got another question:

BTH played 25 mins in a game where we were getting DESTROYED inside. Why? No wonder he is the only healthy starter!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Kal, your right about Maxiell and Blatche. I think Blatche can do so many things that he does not do one particular thing extremely well and his focus is not that great. For instance, NY young has holes in his game but he knows he can shoot and is a good offensive player. So that is what he does. Blatche, on the other hand, is a decent ball handler, rebounder, passer, ok shooter, ok defender, but he does nothing really well. So, I think that contributes to his lack of focus at times. Maybe EJ should DEFINE what he wants from him. If he has, I don't see it.

I will say this about Maxiell. Tonight was a career night for him and we might have been more the reason than Maxiell being a beast. I would take him though coming off my bench!

This crossed my mind tonight too. Why are we so bad at alley-oops? We don't have that as part of our arsenal? When EJ was in NJ, they were the king of that play. For some reason, we go games without one.

Ok, done. Don't want to dominate the blog as apparently there is a limit as to what you can say!

Posted by: Rob P | April 12, 2008 5:30 AM | Report abuse

When the Wizards play the Jazz or the Pistons, you see the difference between the Wizards and a top notch, disciplined team. At first, you think, "Oh no, come on Wizards!," but as they continue to roll, you can't help but appreciate and almost enjoy watching them.

The Wizards were little brothers afraid to mix it up with big brother last night. To be fair, they essentially were without Caron and Gilbert -- Caron hasn't been the same since he bumped knees with Songalia -- so if you think of it that way, a blowout loss to Detroit when you don't have Caron and Gilbert is not cause for alarm.

Need tonight's game, though.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Bad loss indeed. Interesting that both coaches did a lots of 3/4 or full court pressing. Don't know why EJ did but Wizards will face more as playoffs begin. We'll have to prove that we can break it and run our offense well. Our default is still to jack up a long bomb and opponants know this.

Anyway I sat there myself last night wondering why Gil and the main starters were playing long minutes in a 23 point game in the fourth quarter. Mason and Young should have played entire 4th quarter. It was clear that the Pistons had taken us seriously after all the pub and raised eyebrows about us after the Celts victory. The Pistons know what time it is and were making a statement to the Celts! Rip was back and they are getting ready to roll.

Haywood could have been used more despite his lack of quickness. Blathche looked out of his league. Songalia as well. Seemed like many of those lobs however were not the fault of our centers. They can't play there man straight up while also fronting them to block every entry pass. Pistons half court sets were just run well and our on ball guard and wing defensive liability was clearly exposed again.

I also wanted to see DMac against Maxiel as. He was certainly a beast for them. Not sure DMac is ready for the challenge yet but it is only through experience that he will ever be ready.

Well we are a banged up team with a star coming off the bench that is still not 100%. We need this game tonight and then the banged up fellows need about a week off. Would be great to lock our position up on Monday night. We'd open Saturday or Sunday in Cleveland with a more rested and healed team.

Posted by: BmoreRev | April 12, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

While I understand the need to keep that 5th spot and to not drop down to 7th, this team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs without a health Butler, Jamison and somewhat healthy Arenas. You've at least got to consider shutting them down as soon as possible, Butler especially, even if it means falling to 6th. Hopefully the Wizards can win tonight -- it will give them a lot more options.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I agree Rev.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Well, last night was a major league thrashing by a GOOD team. The Pistons aren't the lottery bound Bucks (Les BouleS lost anyway), the sorry Heat, or the sorry Bulls, which people were gloating about with how Gilby was "performing."

Finally we saw Gilby go up against a real point guard, in Chauncey Billups, and a team that actually plays defense, and we saw the end result. I think the Pistons were up by at least 29 points at one time.

I did note that while Gilby was in the game first half, the Pistons ran the score up, but when Gilby went out, Les BouleS got the game close right before halftime. Then after that, Gilby came back in the game and the game went out of control again. I'm not blaming this strictly on Gilby, but it seems that was how things transpired.

In one series, Chauncey hit a 3 after they found him open. It was clutch. Gilby though, tried to respond and jacked the ball up for a 3 as soon as he touched it, and it missed. The flow of the game was just off when he was in the game b/c it seemed too helter skelter.

Caron was off b/c dude is not letting on that he's still hurt, but still is working major minutes. AJ can't carry the load against a battle tested team like the Pistons, and he got no help from AD, DS, or Mason Nation.

Les BouleS don't do well against teams that have athletic bigs that can score. And, they were outhustled by an experienced, tough-nosed, defensive team. Even in the "overrated" game where DS mouthed off, they were without Big Z. Things might be different for the Cavs during the playoffs if they can work out the kinks with the few games left in the regular season.

I was really surprised by last night's outcome b/c Les BouleS usually have Detroit's number. Shocking, especially since their starters played limited minutes, but their backups were able to maintain the intensity.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"It is obvious Maxiell is too athletic for Wizards' bigs. Wonder why EJ didn't use D-Mac as a defense specialist to try to cool him down early in the game. I don't know if D-Mac can do it, but it is worth a try, he is the best candidate Wizards have anyway. Besides, D-Mac's niche in this team is trying to become a defense specialist, hopefully like D. Rodman has done in his career. It is an opportunity for him to hone his skill.

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 11, 2008 10:18 PM "

B/c DMac is an offensive liability, especially in a game where they are getting blown the F out of the gym.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

We definitely DO NOT want to face the Pistons in the playoffs. Their defense is fierce.

Seems to me that every time we win a few games in a row...beat a great team like the Celts, it goes to both the fans and players heads - and we then get torched. After the Celtics game, the media was giving the Wiz big props and Caron kept saying we are a force to be reckoned with (and you all talk about Gil bragging??? I love Caron but just keep quiet man.)

As for getting rid of Eddie Jordan that is simply ridiculous. Eddie is getting praise from just about everyone NBA related....other NBA coaches (who know a whole hell of a lot more than bloggers and fans), NBA analysts, and even players from other teams. Did Eddie miss all those open shots last night? Continually turn the ball over?

Not to mention...who in the heck is available to coach? Larry Brown (great but would not be good for these players) Rick Carlisle? Isiah Thomas (when he gets fired)? Yeah...exactly.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"Do you think EJ's overuse of some players leads to the injury bug in second half of seasons?

If you lose in the first round again, what do you do with EJ?

Posted by: Rob P | April 12, 2008 12:33 AM "

If you're talking about blame for overuse, the blame goes to Abe Pollin b/c this team was severely undermanned with all the injuries, but the cavalry never came. EJ has to put the best guys on the court that give them the best chance to win...if those horses get run ragged, that's just how it is.

I do think EJ should rest his top dogs for the playoffs though, unless they really are concerned about playoff positioning. I think Les BouleS should be because they don't want to be one and done swept if they get a bad seeding.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

LMAO!!!!

Looks like Tom Knott's article really bothered Gilby. I think this is what is causing Gilby's hissy fit and latest boycott of the media:

"Tom Knott ripped me in the paper and said I messed up on an assignment and this and that and compared me to Sprewell.

Stuff like that irritates me because they don't put any thought into what they're writing. They want people to "Ooh" and "Aah" about their stories but come on, if I was like Sprewell, I would have just sat out, dummy."

Gilby LIES! He did say he needed to feed his family!!!

"But, Sprewell? Come on, Knott. You can be more creative than that. Last time I checked, I didn't choke anybody. I didn't say I need to feed my family.

My kids eat McDonald's, how much money do I need to feed them? Cheeseburgers have gone up from 49 cents to 69 cents, so I could complain about that I guess. But if I need money for a McDonald's cheeseburger for my kids, we have bigger problems than a game vs. Milwaukee."

I guess Gilby has the Lavar Arrington instinct. No discipline, don't play the slots, just go for the ball. Worked well for Lavar, eh?

"My natural basketball instincts kicked in. I know they say not to leave the corner, but they threw the ball to Bogut near me and I thought I had a chance to disrupt him. But Bogut kicked it out and Sessions hit a rainbow shot over my head.

I know it's easy to look back now and say, "Dang, I shouldn't have did that." But when you got the game on the line and they throw the ball by your head, you go for that switch. I bit on it and he hit the shot. "

And the rest is history:

"Other than that, we're 3-1 since I've been back. So I want that team momentum to continue. We got Detroit coming up and they're resting their players for the playoffs, but we have to go in there and handle business because we're still fighting for a higher seed. They got second locked up, so there ain't no point for them to risk their guys, but we have to do what we got to do because Philly is on our tail. They're trying for that fifth spot too. I think everybody wants Cleveland in that first round. They've been a .500 team ever since they made that trade and everybody wants a chance at that matchup. "

In conclusion: I feel bad for the guy who takes calls from and types up Gilby's blog. If Gilby is going to stick to his word and blog-out, then there's going to be another guy on the unemployment line.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Rob P
Excuse me for being a fan. With your mentality 20 years of straight championships,and you'd still want EJ's head. I criticize this team when they make mistakes. And praise the when the succeed. At this point in the season I don't feel the need to nit pick every coaching decision and every play. Like i said we simply got out played, guys looked tired and beat up and simply not in it. No energy on defense and no rhythm on offense. A typical loss to a superior road team. If you claim you only want losses not LOSSES. Then shouldn't you have wanted EJ to leave the vets in longer. As they give a better chance at keeping it competitive. This team is human. Its difficult to maintain a high level of play when you are beat-up. coming off a big win. and playing a superior team on the road who has payback on the mind.

Posted by: pope | April 12, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Gilby, the king of "ohh and ahh" in this town. He's the real pot calling the kettle black.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gilby LIES! He did say he needed to feed his family!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 AM

Really? I can't find that referenced anywhere. Can you post a link to his quote?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

My real name is Clewiston. I love the Miami Heat but since they are the worst team in the NBA, I troll the Wizard board all day from my parent's basement.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, but I don't read his blog.
Posted by: DC Man88 | December 2, 2007 09:39 PM

I've never read Gilby's blog ....
Posted by: DC Man88 | December 10, 2007 08:37 PM

So.............When did you start?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I think that the Pistons game was just one game, and we shouldn't exaggerate its significance. But it highlights some problems that this team continues to have.

One problem is that the team too often settles for jump shots, even if there's an open lane. When those jump shots go in, they look great.. but that was about 15% of the time in this game.

I think it's important for Washington to get Cleveland in the first round, but even I'm wondering if they shouldn't rest Caron and Antawn a little. I did think that Caron was playing less aggressively against Boston, and that continued to be the case in this game. Obviously those injuries are bothering him. The question is, how much can a person's knees heal in the course of a week?

Posted by: satch | April 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This is one of those games where Etan Thomas is missed. He creates the best matchup with physical big men and front lines as Haywood is more of a finesse center. Teams like the Jazz and Pistons know if they play a physical game with us, we tend to back down, especially on the road. EG is going to have to take a serious look at this team going forward, as this will probably be the Wiz most important offseason. Hard decisions have to be made like:
1)Gil - If you keep him; you'll have to make some changes elsewhere.
2) AJ- Love him, but he's physically overmatched on many nights at that position defensively
3)CB- Hard to play both him and AJ at the 3 and 4; as tough as he is can sometimes be at a disadvantage because of his size defensively
4) Defense-Inconsistent rotations and close outs on shooters since forever
5) Talent- Defense talent matters! Wiz have very little (A guy like Battier for Houston or a defensive PF would do wonders for this team. I've seen this team together long enough, and it is what it is, not championship caliber as it is not physical enough in the half court offensively or defensively)
6) Coaching- EJ is a good coach, but remember he was not EG's choice. I would not be heartbroken if we brought a different guy in that brought a more physical and defensive approach. If Arenas is not resigned then watch for changes all the way around, it might be the bold moves that are needed for the long term.
7) Front Office- Resigning GA and AJ is NOT a no brainer. This team needs a more physical presence both offensively and defensively from more than one position.

Posted by: Mike in the Springs | April 12, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards have had their share of bad losses this year (and at least as many great wins), but one thing about them is they have always bounced back. Even with the injuries they have had.

We will all feel better if we can beat Philly tonight.

Posted by: Tim | April 12, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The reason why we have very few alley-oops ourselves is we don't have athletic big men (i.e., anyone 6'8" and above). D-Mac is probably one exception, but he doesn't dunk a whole lot either.

The problem last night is not just on the defense end (e.g., Maxiell gave us fits), but we were completely shut down by Piston's defense. The team shot just 27%! If you shoot just 27%, you are going to loose the game, period. Other than Haywood, who shot 2 for 4, our shooting goes like this: 1/7, 7/19, 3/8, 0/3, 2/9, 2/8, 3/9,1/4, 2/9, 0/3, 0/2!

Caron was limping most of the game and lacked the explosiveness to finish his shot even at close range. I just hope he can recover before the playoff!

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 12, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 12, 2008 12:42 PM

You hit it on the head Sagaliba. Part of the reason for the low shooting percentage was the tough, physical Defense that Detroit plays.... but the Wizards also missed their fair share of open shots as well. I counted about 14 open shots they missed. If they hit a decent percentage of those, the game would have been closer.

Roger Mason, usually a reliable shooter, missed 5 open shots (4 from 3-point range)...Butler was short on everything.

The point is that Detroit is the better team, but the Wizards are not that bad. I expect the Wiz to lose in the 2nd round, or possibly Eastern Conference Finals. They're not Championship material yet.

I still pick Detroit to go to the Finals... Their defense is great. They've been playing together for years. They're playoff tested.

Posted by: Rook | April 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"I would not take last night's loss that seriously, with CB banged up and Gilbert still not fully himself. Remember we had a nice win against the Pistons not too long ago at home.

We will all feel better if we can beat Philly tonight.

Posted by: Tim | April 12, 2008 12:17 PM "

You've got to be kidding.

Last night was a must win if they're concerned about playoff positioning, especially in light of the fact that the Cavs lost. But, they got blown out the gym.

This is almost as pathetic as people saying that it's understandable if the team loses after a heartbreaker in LA, or expecting a letdown after a blowout win the day before, or "back to back." It's BS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks, but I don't read his blog.
Posted by: DC Man88 | December 2, 2007 09:39 PM

I've never read Gilby's blog ....
Posted by: DC Man88 | December 10, 2007 08:37 PM

So.............When did you start?

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 11:26 AM "

Yesterday, when Mike Lee put a link to Gilby's blog on this Les BouleS blog.

You guys are lucky I haven't read it in the past because it's easy to point out more inconsistencies and hypocrisies.

PS. I love the fact that you were able to track down my posts from way back in DECEMBER!!!! I guess I'm worth it for you to spend that time on me.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Gilby LIES! He did say he needed to feed his family!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 9:58 AM

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 10:27 AM "

Didn't you read it when Gilby said the reason he's opting out is to provide financial security for his family? Financial security = feeding them too, you know.

The funny thing is that I thought Gilby had to opt out to get that extra money, instead of signing an extension with Les BouleS that was offered by EG, because his kids liked truffles, whale sashimi, kobe beef, polar ice cap water, and all that expensive stuff. Come to find out that he's only feeding them Mickey D cheeseburgers. Go figure.

Gilby being Gilby again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"You said earlier this year, on this blog, that you don't read Gilbert Arenas' blog!!!

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 10:24 AM "

Thank Mike Lee for including a link to his blog on this blog.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 12, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 2:05 PM

In DC88's twisted, Arenas obsessed mind it is....

Posted by: Npnq | April 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Mike in the Springs listed a bunch of problems to be corrected in the offseason, including:

I think it is a no-brainer, because who else could they get in return? They could use a more physical presence, but in Gilbert they have a superstar who sells tickets, and in Antawn they have a character guy who is one of only, what? 4 or 5 players in the league to average 20 and 10 this season?

And as for getting rid of Eddie Jordan, fat chance. You don't generally go looking to get rid of Coach of the Year candidates.

Some fans have a kind of "fantasy basketball" approach to their criticism: just trade and keep trading until you've got the championship team. Thank God Ernie Grunfeld isn't a fantasy basketball player.

Posted by: satch | April 12, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I've said all along that Grunfeld needs to explore all options before locking this team in over the summer and tying up the cap/payroll for the next 3-5 years. If they get bounced in the first round (or make it to the second and don't show well) changes should be considered, up to and including breaking up the big three. Obviously any deal involving Arenas or Jamison would be a sign-and-trade, so they could certainly get assets in return. But unless they do something wild in the playoffs, there's nothing so far to indicate that this is a championship caliber team, which makes locking them in as is far from a no-brainer.

Posted by: kalorama | April 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Providing "Financial Security" for his family is not the same at saying he needs to "feed his family"!!!

Posted by: | April 12, 2008 2:05 PM "

Obviously you missed Gilby's warped reasoning.

Gilby said he wanted to opt out for financial security.

Getting financial security means signing EG's extension offer to his current contract, which would have given him 65 mil instantly on top of 08-09 salary.

Gilby chose to assume more risk by opting out, based on pure greed, not financial security.

I don't begrudge Gilby for being greedy, but if you call a spade a spade, and his copout reason of "financial security" is an excuse for the stupid, like you believers.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Again I ask, who could they get in return? There's no one of the caliber of either Jamison or Arenas being shopped right now by any team in the league, as far as I know. And I can't see the Wizards taking a ho-hum player + cash &/or lottery picks in return for either of them. Why rebuild when you have an exciting team that, on a good night, can play with anyone?

I realize that the Heat built a championship team out of trades and money. But do the Wizards want to be like the Heat? Or do they want to be like the Spurs? I don't think they've kept their core guys together just so they can unload them and rebuild now.

And people forget the improvements that this team has made this season over last. They actually play defense now.. it can be spotty, yes, but when they lock in and commit to it, they do it well. I think that's one example of the potential that this team shows. The front office has made a commitment to keeping their players together, and I think it's been paying off and will continue to pay off. Really, any other team that faced the obstacles that the Wizards faced this season would be focused on the lottery right now, not playoff positioning.

Posted by: satch | April 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"There's no one of the caliber of either Jamison or Arenas being shopped right now by any team in the league, as far as I know."

The key words being "as far as you know." Because you, I, and no one else who doesn't actually work in an NBA front office actually knows what's going on behind the scenes. Trades get made all the time that fans don't see coming. And what trades get made over the summer are often determined by what happens in the playoffs. Do you think Shaq to the Suns or Kidd to the Mavs happens if it hadn't been for they disappointing way the playoffs ended for them last summer?

There are many ways to build a title team and no formula. But quite often what vaults an also ran into real contention is the willingness of the GM to make a deal that's seen as risky, thinking that the potential reward outweighs the risk.

Posted by: kalorama | April 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: satch | April 12, 2008 3:49 PM "

A lot of times when franchises make transactions, they WANT to get rid of their players, or they WANT to get another player.

In this case, if Les BouleS can't keep Gilby, then they would WANT to get rid of him and get what they can. Otherwise, they may be left with a goose egg.

As a result, Abe might just get a lesser player and cash in return. You either try to get something back, or be left with nothing. That something could be a player in the last year of his contract and thus would leave Les BouleS well under cap for another free agent the following year.

I think all in all, Les BouleS will make a push to keep both AJ and Gilby. It just depends on whether Gilby will honor what he said a few weeks ago and not ask for max money. I doubt it though, based on past empty promises.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse