Big 3 sitting, DeShawn speaks and AD kills my shirt

Those of you hoping that Coach Eddie Jordan would sit his main guys tonight against Orlando and turn the game over to the youngsters are getting your wish. Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison will sit tonight.

Butler said he still has some stiffness and soreness in his right knee but is feeling better and expects to be "fine" in time for Game 1. He looked good to me when I watched him go through some shooting drills on the court before the game.

Would he go tonight if it were a playoff game?
CB: "If it was the playoffs, I'd have no choice. They call me Tough Juice man. I earned that. I gotta go."

Dominic McGuire, Darius Songaila, Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson and Antonio Daniels will start. Stevenson could probably use the night off but the guy refuses to sit. He'll make his 250th straight start.
"I've come this far so now it's why not?" Stevenson said. "It's going to take a lot to get me to sit out."

As for the upcoming series with Cleveland, Stevenson passed on a chance to throw more gas under LeBron's belt (LeBron's words).

"He knows I'm serious and I know he's serious so let's do it," Stevenson said as two Wizards' PR staff folks hovered nearby, practically begging him to not say anything crazy. "There's no need to say too much more."

As for his invitation for SouljaBoy to sit courtside in a Stevenson jersey for Game 3 or 4 at the VC, I still can't tell whether he's serious.

"Maybe SouljaBoy will show up," Stevenson said. "If you do see him, you'll who got him there."

Stevenson and the Wizards are aware that Charles Barkley called them out yesterday.
Stevenson (PR staff still hovering, getting more and more nervous): "Are we really going to listen to a guy who said Yao Ming would not be an all-star in this league? I mean, really. So who cares what he has to say? Tell Charles Barkley to chill and worry about other things. Don't worry about the Washington Wizards."

Antonio Daniels didn't say much about any of that. He was too busy killing me for wearing a short sleeve, button down white shirt. For the record, I don't think it's that bad. In fact, I like this shirt. It's a good, I'm in Florida and it's hot shirt. The ladies on the Magic dance squad seemed to like it. Not Antonio.

"Wow, is that see-through?" Daniels asked as soon as I walked into the locker room. "Man, where'd you get that from? Do me a favor, don't wear that shirt in Cleveland. In fact, don't wear that shirt anywhere, ever."

Haywood, while shaking his head: "I was going to say something but he already got you man. That's a good 82nd game shirt."

By Ivan Carter |  April 16, 2008; 6:14 PM ET
Previous: Western Conference Playoff Scenarios | Next: Game 1 Saturday

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Glad to see the boys getting the night off - especially Jamison. Seems like he's been a little tired of late. His defense has definitely slipped. Also glad Caron and Gil aren't pushing it.

I think we'll see a fresh, rested team for Cleveland. Gonna be a fun series, for sure.

Posted by: Keithinator | April 16, 2008 6:44 PM

I can see sitting Jamison and Butler, but I kinda wanted Arenas to play about 25 minutes. He needs it because he's not in game shape yet. Every game gets him in better shape.

Maybe they wanted Arenas to have that one good game, which he had and then rest him until the playoffs.

I hope these guys aren't rusty in the beginning of the playoffs, but with the Wiz's luck I'll take healthy and fresh.

I'm getting too excited, let the PLAYOFFS BEGIN BABY!!!

Posted by: Bangladesh | April 16, 2008 6:45 PM

Re: Your shirt, Ivan -- don't sweat it, man. You wanna look like the night-shift manager at Burger King, that's your right! Wear it with pride, dude!

Posted by: Keithinator | April 16, 2008 6:46 PM

Hopefully D Mac can somehow get his D together for the playoffs. Anyways, as long as we walk away injury free I'm happy.

Posted by: B.A.M. | April 16, 2008 7:11 PM

Tell Haywood i said next time he driving his big all black Escalade slow down for he hit me! Worry bout that instead of your shirt. Besides your a damn report....none of yall can dress.

Heres a tip. Go down Georgetown, Wisconson Ave., next door to the Solb shop and hit up Hugo boss. Pick you up some nice dress shyt and step in there and say BAM! NOW WHAT! Cuz all those bammas on our team from Cali...trust me they cant dress. I ran into Nick Young by Chipole 1 day this man had on some bright yellow adidas lol.

Posted by: i | April 16, 2008 7:12 PM

DeShawn should forget about getting Soulja Boy and get Marlo, Chris and Snoop (plus the nail gun) from The Wire instead.

Posted by: iceberg | April 16, 2008 8:22 PM

Never ever wear short sleeve button up shirt - those are for 9 year olds.....go to brooks brothers and buy a nice dress shirt and roll up the sleeves if need be.

Posted by: Ken | April 16, 2008 8:51 PM

smart move by coach

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 9:13 PM

Ivan: Don't ever wear that formal wife beater shirt again you gotta represent bro!

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | April 16, 2008 9:29 PM

Posted by: Keithinator | April 16, 2008 6:44 PM

LOL....Jamison's defense has "slipped"? That's like saying Barkley's weight "slipped" to prepare for his race against Dick Bavetta.

Posted by: low | April 16, 2008 10:02 PM

Gilbert Arenas has a new blog entry on nba.com....

Talks about the playoff matchup. Sessions dropping 20 and 24. Railing again on Tom Knott.

Nice words for the young players on the Wiz.

And talks about almost getting suspended for wearing non-team colors (shoes)....

Posted by: Rook | April 16, 2008 10:26 PM

I think Arenas should have played tonight....maybe even a few minutes for Caron.

Why are they not sitting on the bench supporting their teammates?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 16, 2008 10:30 PM

Why is Barkley not commenting on LeBron's poor sportsmanship in talking to Gooden about Stevenson....?

LeBron, not knowing that Gooden and Stevenson are good friends, said some disparaging remarks about Stevenson to Gooden... When Gooden left the team, he relayed the comments to Stevenson -

THAT's why Stevenson was jawing at Queen James in that game earlier this year - and THAT is why he called him "overrated" after the game.

How come Barkley doesn't "call out" LeBron for HIS inappropriate comments. It was a very unprofessional situation. You don't get "personal".... and from what I've read about it, LeBron said something VERY personal.... and VERY inappropriate. Whatever it was, it sure got Stevenson ticked off!

Boy, I'd love to find out what it was. And to see it played out in the media as much as Stevenson's "overrated" remark. Perhaps Queen James' reputation wouldn't be so clean then...!!

Posted by: Rook | April 16, 2008 10:37 PM

I'm certain that, rather than fretting about the shirt, Ivan, you good-naturedly fended off the jealousy of those who don't have the savoir faire and natural style to wear short-sleeved, buttoned-down shirts. To my eye, it's yet another quality that separates the boys from the men ;)

Posted by: Brenda | April 16, 2008 11:07 PM

Sounds like the wiz are playing saturday. Maybe 3:30 but we'll know shortly.

Posted by: ivan | April 16, 2008 11:18 PM

Sucks that the PR people have such a stick up their butts, watching DS's interviews incase he says anything incendiary. Hopefully, holding his tongue does not hold back his fire. I thought it was really brave of him to call out Lebron like that.

Posted by: dontbackdown | April 17, 2008 1:32 AM

See through, short sleeved button down ??!! You probably looked like a gay nerd (not that there's anything wrong with that). But I'm with AD. You might not want to wear that shirt again.
As for the game, I like GA's comments about game winners. LeBron is already establishing a rep for not hitting clutch shots. He might get you 35-40 but they all come in the first 38 minutes.

Posted by: mark | April 17, 2008 7:52 AM

LOVE THIS:

INDEED!!!!!! (To quote Omar Little. May he rest in peace.)

LMAO!

Also, ROOK, I totally agree... Barkley just conveniently ignored LeBron's part in this whole trash talk situation. Give me a break... "he started it!" And I agree, I like DeShawn's FIRE. Our team needs more of that! MORE pissed off, not less.

Posted by: Frosty Freeze | April 17, 2008 9:23 AM

Brenda, If that's what it takes, I'm savoir faire and natural style-less.
Ivan, did you accessorize with a man purse? LOL !!
Just breaking your @@lls, buddy.

Posted by: mark | April 17, 2008 10:14 AM

Don't sweat it Ivan, my shop teacher used to to rock that same outfit!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 17, 2008 11:13 AM

you guys do know that you talking about the guy who kicked your team out of the playoffs TWO years in a row right? keep talking, basketball is played on the hardwood.

Posted by: action j | April 17, 2008 11:16 AM

LeBron kicked us out the first time because he was allowed to take eight steps on the baseline in Game 5 (I know because I was there and even my bad eyes could see that from the top FREAKING ROW of the Gund Arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And last year no Caron, no Gilbert is the reason the Wizards lost. The Wizards had no shot in that series.

This year is different, everyone is healthy entering the series and Little Lord James is going to get knocked on his ass this time!

Posted by: George Templeton | April 17, 2008 11:39 AM

Yea, Ivan...don't you worry about that shirt, if Sipowicz and Homer Simpson can do it then YOU CAN TOO!

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | April 17, 2008 11:49 AM

LOL ! re: Homer Simpson. right on target with that one.

Posted by: mark | April 17, 2008 12:09 PM

"Brendan Haywood offered that a player can't say anything about a hall of famer and top 50 guy like Barkley but Gilbert Arenas overheard the conversation and chimed in with his thoughts on what Barkley had to say: "That's cute. That's real cute. They might have the number two player but they don't have the number one end of quarter, end of half, end of game player.""

Gilby can't say this until he exorcises those demons after missing 3 straight free throws that cost Les BouleS the series against the Cavs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | April 17, 2008 12:54 PM

Well, GILBERT has what, the next 4 games or so to do just that doesn't he. I wondered when you were going to pop up with you incessant anti-Gil chatter. Why don't you check out Cleveland's blog, I am sure they would love to chime on on your anti-Gil rhetoric.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 1:11 PM

The Orlando dancers probably didn't really like your shirt Ivan -

They were just probably happy to see an attractive black man at the game besides the players:)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 1:22 PM

Furthermore, without Gil, we wouldnt even had made it to get the game winner. He averaged 30+ the entire series. Getting the national attention during that series made people notice Gilbert, instead of all that witness talk that year. Gilbert said when they were talking about Lebron, I'm only a witness and the media loved it.

Posted by: washingtonian | April 17, 2008 1:23 PM

well, let's see what your excuse is this year..."Oh, yeah the refs fouled Stevenson out"?

Posted by: action j | April 17, 2008 1:56 PM

I agree with Bangladesh.

The fact that the team feels that it is more important to rest Gil than giving him some play time he needs to tune up for the playoff kinda worries me. This may mean Gil's knee still has some problems even after 4 days rest.

Posted by: Sagaliba | April 17, 2008 2:26 PM

Wiz in 5 baby!!! Let's show the world how overrated lebron really is...

Posted by: Jamie | April 17, 2008 2:33 PM

I am confused. Who was was Gilbert talking about. It sure isn't anyone on the Wizards.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 3:12 PM

It's funny that to prove how "overrated" lebron is, will take an entire team effort by the jizzards.

And I wonder what lebron could have said about Stevenson. Maybe he mentioned that Deshawn is a child rapist, or that he's all the internet looking for a good price on cocaine. When it comes to being ghetto trash Deshawn Stevenson is underrated.

Posted by: Eric | April 17, 2008 3:13 PM

LOL Number 1 end of game/half/quarter player? Uh, anyone remember the free throws CLANKS two years ago in the playoffs against cleveland? LOL

Posted by: idiot | April 17, 2008 3:41 PM

How about a picture of you in that shirt, Ivan...

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: khrabb | April 17, 2008 5:33 PM