James One Man Show Not Enough

BOSTON - The first 46 minutes on Sunday, he played an almost flawless game. He looked like he was ready to prove for the second time this postseason that sometimes, just sometimes, one supernova is greater than three all-stars.

LeBron James never had to worry about being the best player on the floor at any point these playoffs against Washington and Boston, but for just the second time this postseason, an opposing all-star player who somehow slipped to the 10th spot in the NBA draft refused to let him have the last word.

In Game 5 of the first round, Caron Butler showed up James in his house and used a little gamesmanship in telling James to miss his final shot to send the series back to D.C. And, last night in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, the stakes were much higher and Paul Pierce wasn't going to allow James to ruin this magical ride in Boston.

Paul, let me borrow KG for half a season next year. Just 41 games, man. Okay, 25. C'mon. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

Pierce waited too long be have teammates like Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, suffered through too many miserable seasons in this town to let Beantown go down as 'Brontown. Pierce scored 41 points, four fewer than James, but he led his team to a 97-92 victory because he had more help - not because he had a better overall performance

Whereas Pierce could rely on Kevin Garnett and veteran P.J. Brown to hit big time shots in the fourth quarter, James was alone this afternoon. James occasionally showed his frustrations during the game - one time he walked away, shook his head and bit his jersey as he looked around and saw a group of teammates who didn't seem capable of joining him for an upset that would've eclipsed their surprising win over the Detroit Pistons last season.

"I'm not disappointed in any of my teammates, or any of my coaching staff," James said. "I have always been a winner, and I am a winner. You are just disappointed that the season is over."

James and the Cavaliers are generally better when he is involving his teammates, creating shots and inspiring them, but he picked up pretty early in the first half that sharing the ball probably wasn't going to work with his overwhelmed supporting cast. He was going to have to something heroic to advance to the conference finals. He needed to be Jordanesque - in a city where Michael Jordan once scored 63 points against the real Big Three of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish.

Just let me have one more all-star on this team. I don't need two. I'm not greedy like Paul. (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

And for 46 minutes, he came close to upsetting Garnett, Pierce and the ghost of Ray Allen. James shook off his poor shooting from earlier games in series, and hit a few three-pointers, some floaters in traffic and finished his aggressive drives with strong layups. James brought his team within 89-88 with 2 minutes, 20 seconds left, but he wouldn't get another field goal.

In the final two minutes, he missed a three-pointer that would've put the Cavaliers ahead, failed to hit the floor until Pierce had already beaten him to a loose ball, shot an airball from about two feet over Brown, missed a free throw and left the floor knowing that he gave all that he could - and that 45 points wasn't enough.

Cavaliers Coach Mike Brown, who repeatedly called James "terrific" in the first round, sounded choked up in the postgame press conference when talking about James's effort. "LeBron James will always be great in my mind," he said.

When the Cavaliers' season ended with a sweep from the San Antonio Spurs last season, James said that for his team to get better, he had to improve. The Celtics exposed some of the weaknesses of James's game - most notably that his jump shot could still use a little work - but he has improved as a defender and he also developed into a closer, his final game notwithstanding.

Get up, Ben. You're not really helping LeBron James laying down like that. (Photo by Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images)

"I think, at the end of this season, I just need to fine-tune the rest of my game," James said. "I think I've added some more pieces to my game to make me a more complete basketball player. I don't have to reinvent anything."

It will be interesting to see what Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry will try to do to reinvent his team. He traded Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden, among others, near the trade deadline to get Ben Wallace, Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith and Delonte West - a move James supported - because he thought it would put them closer to being a legitimate championship contender. You could say that the Cavaliers never really had enough time to figure how good they would be, because the new team had just 28 games together in the regular season and appeared to start playing its best basketball in the postseason.

Brown said before the game that he "likes my team." The Cavaliers pushed the Celtics to seven games, but the fact remains that they game up two rounds shorter than last season, and Game 7 was evidence that there is more work to be done for this team to more than LeBron and a bunch of dudes. Ferry needs to get James another all-star caliber talent, and maybe he can flip Szczerbiak's expiring $13 million contract into something (Michael Red, perhaps?).

But the Cavaliers have to something, so that he doesn't have to continue to do more with less than any other superstar in the NBA, possibly ever. You know it's something when James has to refer to the Cavaliers as "a LeBron James team."

Granted, the Cavaliers dealt with a lot of tumult this season, with contract holdouts and constant player injuries that played until the very end, with sharpshooter Daniel Gibson forced to miss the final two games of this series with a shoulder injury. But even at full strength, the Cavaliers are still a team that relies to heavily on James alone to bail to them out.

James likely sent Cavaliers fans reaching for the panic button after Game 7, with his comments that improvements are necessary for this team to be competitive. And in the back of the mind of Ferry and everyone else associated with the Cavaliers, James can leave the organization as a free agent in two years. So they might want to do something about that.

Danny, get The LeBron James Team some help, please. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

"I think what we have is very good," James said. "We need to continue to get better. We know that. If that means some personnel changes need to happen, then so be it.

"I'm not thinking about it right now, what we need to do personnel-wise," James said. "But we need to get better. The teams around us in this league are continuing to get better. New Orleans is very good, the Lakers got better, Boston got better, Detroit got better, Orlando got better also, so we need to continue to get better."

James can only do so much. And that nearly was enough on Sunday.

By Michael Lee  |  May 19, 2008; 1:03 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Somebody, Please Win A Road Game
Next: Who Is Your Pick?

Comments

once again in fine fashion of course.......a cleveland pro team CHOKES!!!
enjoy fishing with arenas & comp. lebron....dont invite any of your teamates...as we all know by now...U R A 1 MAN TEAM WITHOUT A JUMPSHOT

Posted by: YOUR_RIVER_IS_ON_FIRE | May 19, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

I know this blog is about the Cavs-Celts, but I thought this would be interesting if people haven't seen it yet.

The whole Celts/Cavs series was about defense, Wiz gotta find a way to get some

Posted by: andy | May 19, 2008 3:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess 5 steps is not enough for LeBron to take on the way to the hoop shooting that air ball in the final seconds.

GOD the NBA is just unwatchable!

Posted by: caphcky | May 19, 2008 7:27 AM | Report abuse

At least van Gundy called out LeTravel for steps once in the game. That's once more than I've ever heard from a national commentator. Good riddance to that coddled, overhyped, whiny crybaby.

Posted by: Colin | May 19, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

You know Lebron did play a good game but his sportsmanship needs polishing. I thought it was very telling in the way that after the loss, he went straight to the lockers with no congrats to the winning team. While, the rest of the team was at least giving Boston their due by congratulaing them, Lebron, the team leader was in the lockeroom. What a spoild diva! If I don't win, the hell with everyone else. Lebron had better learn some humbleness.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry LeBron...all you have to do is team up with Triple H, have Stern and McMahon talk about when to hand the title to you to change up the NBA plot-line a little bit...

Posted by: p1funk | May 19, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Time for Lebron and Co. to pull out those golf clubs now!!

Posted by: charles barkley | May 19, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I personally think LeBron's game needs quite a bit of work.

His jump-shot is streaky, and for a guy who is a 6-8 260 pound guard, he could develop a devastating post up game if he took the time to learn one. Guards like Sam Cassel and Chauncey Billups use to get mucho points eating up smaller PGs in the post. LeBron could seriously exploit some mismatches if he could do more things with his back to the basket. As it stands he's good for two things - pulling up threes or (his bread and butter) barreling into the lane and getting to the hoop. If the refs ever start calling travels or offensive fouls on him, then even that part of his game would be finished. He's got a great first step, but he either hops and travels his way around defenders or barges into them like a freight train...

That being said he's an incredible ball-handler for a guy his size and does a great job finding teammates.

Posted by: Fine-Tuner | May 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Translation: I will take 4 steps instead of 3 on my drives to the basket from now on...

Posted by: Sam | May 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Any Cav fans here? Hello? HELLOOOOO?
All that crap talking and here you are with the popcorn in your lap watching just like us. I hope you guys got some satisfaction out of beating a beat-up Wizards team cuz now it's over. You're done! No one is gonna remember that you made it to the second round. I'm not sure but I don't think they give trophies or rings for making the semifinals. See, that's the thing about the NBA. One winner, 29 losers. I love this game. The NBA is FAAAAANTASTIC !!

P.S. What makes this worse for you guys is that even though we both lost, when you wake up in the mornings, you're still in Cleveland.

Have a nice summer...losers.

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Now that I'm done laughing at the Cav fans, about LeBron...
IMO he is one of the top 2 players in the league. The combination of his rebound, pass,and scoreThe main thing he needs to work on is Danny Ferry. He needs help. The guy travels a lot, yes. But he is unstoppable when he gets a head of steam up because he can overpower anyone trying to stay step for step with him. He could stand to continue to work on his jumper, 3 point shooting and his defense.
My primary issue with him is his attitude. On at least 3 or 4 occasions, he stopped to complain to the refs after missing a shot that he thought he was fouled on. Meanwhile, the Celts were running the other way. he gets a lot of calls and sill complains more than any guy I've seen. He smacked Paul Pierce on the wrists and in the eye and acted like aninjustice was committed when he was called for the foul. The replay showed 3 fouls before the one that got called.

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

F Charles.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Um, haven't I been an All-Star twice? Aren't I one of the best centers in the East? Stop making it sound like LeBron is playing with a team of D-League players.

Posted by: Z | May 19, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Mark's comments and others I've read on blogs about LeBron's complaining are right on. How many times did Paul Pierce get knocked to the ground on drives with no foul calls? Any time LeBron gets touched and doesn't get a call, he turns to the refs in disbelief. I can't believe he thought the refs would give him a bail out call on his air ball layup in the last minutes. His true class showed at the end of the game....he walked off the court without congratulating one member of the Celtics while his coach and teammmates showed some sportsmanship. The mark of a true champion is to show grace in defeat...next year the Cavs aging team will be that much older and he'll be lucky to get his team out of the 1st round.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 19, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

LeTravel's Cavs = 'Nique's Hawks.

Posted by: Colin | May 19, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see Z not only miss the tip on the jump ball, but also hold Posey on the ground (or try to) he is a bigger fraud than LeBron. Making a 18 foot jump shot doesn't make you an NBA center. IT makes you better than DAmon Jones

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I supposed LeCrybaby pays the coaches out of his own pocket?

Posted by: MY Team, MY Coaches | May 19, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So I Tivo'd the game and watched SEVERAL plays where LeTravel took three steps to the basket. NONE were called.

The NBA, where biased officiating happens.

Posted by: CJ Baltimore | May 19, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Although James is by far the Cavs superstar, I think that Wally was the Cavs x-factor.

When Wally had a good game - the Cavs won. When Wally had a bad game - the Cavs lost.

Posted by: dan | May 19, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Can we please stop complaining about Lebron's complaining? Does he travel? Yes. Does he cry, b*tch, and moan to the refs? Yes. But lets stop acting like he is the first and only player to do so. Lets not forget Kobe Bryant led the league in ejections and technical fouls, but everyone, including myself, is caught up in the Kobe love fest. But for some reason he doesn't have the "crybaby" rep like Lebron has, at least not on THIS blog. Michael Jordan along with Phil Jackson practically wrote the book on "How to Gripe About Officating". So quit it with the cute nicknames for James, no one knows about them outside of this area, or maybe this blog.

BTW, I'm a Wizards fan. Lebron's traveling, and b*tching had nothing to do with the Wizards losing to them in 06' and 08'.

Posted by: RedWizNat | May 19, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"once again in fine fashion of course.......a cleveland pro team CHOKES!!!"

YOUR RIVER IS ON FIRE....please explain to me how cleveland choked. They were the underdog and never had the lead. In no way did they choke...the only people choking were KG and ray allen. If it wasn't for PJ brown and paul pierce Lebron would have beaten them all by himself. I'm a wiz fan as well but don't be bitter b/c Lebron beats us every year and will continue to.....just enjoy his greatness.

Posted by: Beas | May 19, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"I have always been a winner, and I am a winner.

And we Wiz fans talk about how self-centered and arrogant Gil is. He has nothing on LeBron "A LeBron James team is never desperate" James.

The guy never, ever stops talking about himself, and telling the world how great he is. And it seems that he's now officially adopted third-person-speak for good.

Posted by: Keithinator | May 19, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"So quit it with the cute nicknames for James, no one knows about them outside of this area, or maybe this blog."

Why should we stop just because other people don't agree? Regardless of who else does it, people here hate it when Lebron does it, simply because he has been a Wizards nemesis for the past 3 years. How the hell can you tell people not to hate on an opposing team's player, when that player doesn't give your team ANY respect. Also, yea Kobe and Jordan complain alot, and so does Tim Duncan...but those guys have rings to back it up. And those guys don't travel nearly as much as Lebron, and they still get back on defense first...they know when to complain and when to keep playing. Lebron whines after seemingly every call, and does it on both offense AND defense. Especially for a guy who keeps boasting that he's 6-9 and 250, and that he is too strong to be hurt, the guy crys way too much.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

It's not bad just talking to the official after a timeout, or looking at the ref and asking for a call the way Jamison does, but Lebron will have a 3-course seminar with the ref on why he thought he was fouled.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

In case you didn't see it, this is a nice summary of the Wizards' non-rookies.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I look at the NBA much differently now than I used to. I've always viewed it as a business first but the way things have transpired lately, I look at it like a business only. In light of the Tim Donaghy 'incident' you'd think that for at least a year or so while the league distanced itself from him, the officiating would be beyond reproach. Instead, it seems as bad as it has been in years. I read a headline recently that Donaghy has bet on at least a hundred games that he officiated. Does Stern think we are so stupid as to think that Donaghy didn't influence the outcome in those games?
My complaint is this...We know that the league wants either big name stars, long time rivalries or large market cities to be represented in the playoffs. If Stern had his way, it'd be the LA vs. NY every year. I understand that this is for marketing reasons and that's how the NBA makes its money. I just wish that they weren't so blatant about it. Stern would like to see every series go to 7 games (more money) and I'm sure he soils himself dreaming about a Lakers/Celtics matchup. Big names, big teams, big payoff for the league. I underatand it and am fine with all of that. The problem I have is that so many blatantly bad calls were made that it spoiled some of the fun for me. I knew that the Celts series was going 7 games. For those who think that a couple of calls can't change a game, you're wrong. As an example, once AJ saw that he was getting no calls inside, he stopped posting up and started trying to shoot 3's. The refs can change the flow of a game,the way guys play and subsequently the outcome with one or two calls or non calls. They can't decide the outcome alone but can strongly influence it. There's a reason home teams are doing well and it aint random.

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

LeBron James is a winner, LeBron James is impressed with LeBron James ability to use LeBron James' name in a LeBron James sentence. A LeBron James team is never desparate because a desparate LeBron James' team implies that there are other players on LeBron James team. As LeBron James' recognizes, LeBron James is the only person on the LeBron James Cavaliers, that is why LeBron James is going to separate LeBron James from the 11 other non-LeBron James on the Cleveland Lebron James by using LeBron James name every chance LeBron James gets. No matter how arrogant is comes off as, LeBron James will continue to do so, because LeBron James is a winner....or is that whiner?

Posted by: DC The Kid | May 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Let's let the players decide the games and call them evenly. If you let LeBron travel, let Pierce travel, too. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm just a guy who wants to see a fairly called game.
On a completely side note: Z is one of the sneakiest players around. He holds guys down on rebounds, pushes guys in the back, travels almost as much as LeBron and never gets called for any of these infractions. What gives?

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

LeBron doesn't appreciate those comments, Kid.

Posted by: LeBron | May 19, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC The Kid | May 19, 2008 1:31 PM

Sounds like Arenas but with a different name. Like NBA PLAYERS acting arrogant is something new. You want to find a self serving, self promoting wanna be superstar, look no further than Gilturd Arenas.

get rid of agent dildo.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

mark

Lebron is just discovering his status with the refs and but Allen Iverson still has him beat with flops and drawing fouls as well as giving the refs an earful.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the point right? And another thing:

dump gilturd.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Somebody out there sures loves Gil because he or she sure doeth protest to much. This post is not about Gil. We were talking Lebron so save it! I hate how the guy and everyone around the league refer to the team as the Lebrons. I would hate to play on a team such as that. Maybe if would have passed the ball towards the end there would be a different result.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of self-promoting, you'll never hear Lebron James have to do that. In fact NONE of the GREATS do or did. Not Jordan. Not Magic. Not Bird. Not Shaq. Not Kobe. Not Duncan. Only Gilbert runs around shouting what he has done and what he's going to do. You know why the aforementioned players don't have to self promote? They let their game do all the talking. Something Gilbert should try and exercise, instead of his mouth all the damn time, if he wants to be, ahem, GREAT.

I'm with the anon guy. Dump Gilturd Imapenis.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

yeah I guess I dont mind it as much with AI because AI is a small guy going into the trees. By his own admission, LeBron is built for contact. The fouls that he complains about are ticky tack.
I remember seeing Shaq get mauled yet he would still not complain to the refs. Because he was big, he'd take the contact and just walk to the ft line to miss his shots. After a few years he started complaining but usually it was afeter games and not after every play to the refs. Of course, Shaq was knocking guys out of the way but that's a different story.

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Hey anon @ 2:27, who was he going to pass it to. Wally? Damon Jones? Oh I see, he should've passed it to Z. You're providing some hard hitting analysis with your post. I was always under the impression that the SUPERSTAR or LEADER or CLOSER was suppose to take those shots. Thanks for shedding some light on that subject.

Posted by: RedWizNat | May 19, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

LeBron never self-promotes? You're serious?! Mr. 3rd person 'wanna be a global icon' never promotes himself? He's one of the most narcissistic players I've ever seen.
That said, he's a great player and I personally don't have a problem with trying to raise your profile to get marketing dollars. I'm ok with Gil talking about Gil. There've been a lot of players who produced on the court but had a low profile and didn't get the megabucks because of it. I'm not hating on a dude for creating a market for himself and making money. When it comes down to it, if Gil got hurt and couldn't play again, it's his fault if he didn't do everything in his power to get as much $$ as he could have gotten. The problem comes if you are ALL about the $$ and not trying to win. I don't put Gil in that category. He sacrificed his health to try to help the team win in the playoffs when he had nothing to gain and everything to lose considering he's opting out. He may well have cost himself some money because he's not healthy yet and may have scared some potential suitors away. Did he do it for glory? maybe. I'd prefer to think he did it because he's confident in his ability.

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 19, 2008 2:33 PM

What the F is a ticky tack foul. A foul is a foul, people. And please stop with all the "He hasn't earned the right to complain" nonsense. He earned the right when he came in simply because he had THE BUZZ. I remember watching his first game against the Kings from BAGHDAD! That's how big Lebron is. The Lebron loathing/hate is more envy than anything. Some of the fans up here remind me of the Jordan haters. And Lebron better get ready, because once Kobe is retired, looking at it now, he'll be the best... on the planet. He is only 23, he has about 10-12 years left to polish and hone his skills.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

LeBron James is working on a new rule where LeBron James can pass the ball to LeBron James therefore eliminating the need for multiple jerseys, thus saving the LeBrons some money. LeBron does not recognize Gilbert Arenas b/c LeBron James only thinks about LeBron James. In the future, LeBron James will continue to ask the academy to rename the Oscar's "The LeBrons" LeBron thinks that has a nice ring to it, and even though LeBron knows nothing about rings. LeBron will also ask that LeBron James become the most often used phrase ever and LeBron James will allow the phrase LeBron James to describe the following:
Crying
Acting
Dunking
Shooting 8-42 in a two game stretch
Whining
Almost winning a championship
Arrogance
Cockiness
Fingernail biting
Complaining
LeBron James

Please obey King LeBron James simple request or LeBron James will ask LeBron James mom to yell at you!!!!!!

LeBron James

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedWizNat | May 19, 2008 12:06 PM

It's a free country, some like to express their utter disdain for LeCryBaby repeatedly. Thanks, Wizzer

Posted by: wizzer | May 19, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 2:45 PM

Perhaps you're right, but you still can't make me like the bronbon or whatever latest cute nickname he has. He still will get the best of catcalls and boos around here.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"He sacrificed his health to try to help the team win in the playoffs when he had nothing to gain and everything to lose considering he's opting out. He may well have cost himself some money because he's not healthy yet and may have scared some potential suitors away. Did he do it for glory?"

mark | May 19, 2008 2:44 PM

Hmm, okay, mark. So tell me when does Lebron self promotes? do you have a quote or something, it doesn't have to be exact, but an example of self promoting and self serving. Lebron is on TV way more than Gilbert and I've heard Arenas bump his gums more than Lebron. Since when did it become a crime or an act of arrogance if you have aspirations to be a global icon?

Are YOU serious?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

My perusal of the online cleveland paper and reader comments shows their fans blaming Mike Brown, or if not blaming him calling for a divorce because clearly the James/Brown combo has not worked to win the championship. Perhaps Brown has taken the Cavs as far as he can take them? Whatever happens, expect some moves in Cleveland this summer. They seem to think/believe the Cleveland team should aim high.

Posted by: rgz | May 19, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank God Paul Pierce sacked up and kept LeWhiner from stealing that seventh game by himself. Because bar P.J. Brown everyone else came up real short for Boston in that game.

That said, in the latest mock draft on nbadraft.net this guy slotted in at the Wizards pick.

What does everyone think of that? I only saw a few games of him, but he seems a lot more skilled than your typical Euro player with one year of college.

Posted by: George Templeton | May 19, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Again sir, I ask you, are you serious?

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 3:02 PM

Time will tell.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizzer | May 19, 2008 2:49 PM

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 2:52 PM

Alright, the second post, sounds like a true fanatic to me, and there is nothing wrong with that. But you'll have to excuse me if I don't wallow in your loathing for Lebron because he was THE guy on the team that eliminated the Wizards three years in a row. However, any level of resentment is understood. You being a fanatic of the Wizards and all. Again, nothing wrong with that.

The first post... you're a asscrumb, plain and simple. You're THE fan I'm talking about. The ones who hate on a player. The ones who must find every little thing he does wrong because you're sick of him beating your team. You know what douchebag @ 2:49? I've seen this movie before, it's called "Jordan and the Cavs". Guess who is PLAYING the ROLE of Jordan? Guess who is playing the role as the Cleveland fanbase? You know what? I still don't remember the Cavs fans b*tching and moaning like some of the Wizards fans do. As I said, I am a Wizards fan, but damn it you got to be a realist too. And the realization here is: Lebron is very good, the Wizards will not win ANYTHING until they make a honest commitment to defense, and Gilbert Arenas is a self serving, self promoting, self indulging (fill in the blank).

Posted by: RedWizNat | May 19, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"And lets not go patting Gilturd on the back, okay? THE only reason why he played was for two reasons: One, he wanted to make sure that he got some face time. Truth is as long as the season is, and based on how much time he missed, dude was becoming an afterthought OUTSIDE of DC. Two, if he doesn't at least show he can move and shoot again, NO ONE would've offered a max contract for him. By playing the last two or three games of the season, and four or five in the playoffs your boy simply just made himself relevant again. That's it. Again sir, I ask you, are you serious?

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 3:02 PM "

True...Gilby basically admitted that his return was for selfish personal reasons.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert Arenas is poting out because thats best for Glibert Arenas from a business perspective. Gilbert Arenas is on the cover of NBA Live. Gilbert Arenas cried upon learing that he'll be on the cover of NBA Live. Gilbert Arenas made Antwan Jamison and Caron Butler all-starts. Gilbert Arenas has helped Antwan jamison become the player he is. Antwan feeds off Gilbert Arenas' game. Gilbert Arenas is a showman. Gilbert Arenas will only re-sign with the team if Jamison re-signs also. Gilbert Arenas doesn't have to tell ANY coach about when he wants to play because Gilbert Arenas thinks drama sells. Guys like Iguodala and Gordon are dumb for leaving money on the table because Gilbert Arenas said so. Gilbert Arenas is going to score FIFTY against Portland. Gilbert Arenas will probably score like 84 points against Duke. Gilbert Arenas doesn't believe in defense because Gilberts says you are who you are.

I'm paraphrasing here, but you get the point right? And another thing:

dump gilturd.

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 2:23 PM "

Yes, Gilby is like a cartoon character, which is why I call him Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

LeWhiner?

Did you come up with that all by yourself, George?

Cut it out folks. No one cares about the alleged acts of INJUSTICE Lebron bestowed upon the Wizards with his constant complaining and traveling. Honestly dude does complains a lot, I know this, and so does EVERY other fan. Leberon has been known to take some extra steps here and there on his way to the basket, I know this, and so does EVERY other fan. But I don't here anyone COMPLAINING, CRYING, B*TCHING, MOANING, or... wait a minute... isn't this THE EXACT SAME thing some of you are doing. There is an old saying: "Thats like the pot calling the kettle black" or "Whats good for the goose is good for the gander". SOME of you fans need to get over yourselves, and realize there is a world outside of 495. SOME of you are acting like a bunch of pots and kettles.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ivan and Mike smell. ;)

Just how many steps does Lebron always get to take anyway? 4...5???

Crazy.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | May 19, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

SOME of you are acting like a bunch of pots and kettles.

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 3:31 PM

Last I checked this was still a democracy, not a dictatorship. If you want to live in North Korea where one man dictates what others think, go ahead and move to Pyongyang. Otherwise, you gotta chill.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"LeTravel's Cavs = 'Nique's Hawks."

I dunno Colin, I dislaike James as much as anyone else on here but the guy is a beast. I'm old enough to remember watching Dominique and although he was an awesome player, he ain't no Lebron. Lebron gets beat on and still makes his shots, pretty crazy watching him actually.

Lebron is going to win titles, it's just a matter if he's going to do it in Cleveland or not.

Which brings me to my real point....do refs really need to let him take as many steps as he wants? Someone really has to say something about that, even if they get fined.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | May 19, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey anon @ 4:01, you sound like a hyopcrite. You do know this, right? How can one minute you whine and complain about Lebron doing the dame thing, then pull that democracy crap? If the ablity to whine is based on democracy and the idea of freedom of speech, then doesn't Lebron also have that right? Quit it with your cold war crap. Keep it in the 50's and 60's.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

George,

Diito on PJ Brown. He came up big for the Celtics. He didn't put up eyepopping numbers, but that's not what he was there for. He grabbed key rebounds and hit big shots down the stretch, and displayed the kind of veteran poise and smarts that they needed.

Posted by: kalorama | May 19, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

2 intersesting points
-Pierce plays about as good as Lebron yet the celtics barely win. Cavs minus Lebron=Lottery team but they play close with the celtics minus Pierce? Thats a playoff team at least(in the east).
-I think that Boston gets a lot better from game 7 because it has found it go-to man. I think we know whos gonna be with the ball in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I know its early but- moving onto the draft.
Does anyone know the draft progection for UMD F James Gist? I know its just because he's a local guy but I think he would be a really good fit for the wiz. He's 6'9, super athletic, and can run the floor. He also has some decent moves and a decent jumper for someone who's 6'9. He's also a great shot blocker( tops in ACC). I think in a couple of years he could be a really good reserve and a high-energy guy off the bench( Joe Smith anyone?)
...just some thoughts

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Matt, Joe Smith was national college player of the year. He has been a solid if not spectular pro. Please don't compare him to James Gist. I'm about to go all Soulja Boy vs. Jay-Z up in here.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 19, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Haven't seen any projection's, but I doubt he's likely to get taken before mid/late-second round, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not drafted. He wasn't a dominant (or even a consistent) player in college, and he's likely a 3/4 tweener in the NBA.

Posted by: kalorama | May 19, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm not directly comparing him to Joe Smith, I'm just saying he could become a high energy guy off the bench like joe smith has become. Besides, its worth a 2nd rounder. This guy is one of the most athletic if not the most athletic guy in the draft. He is one of those ppl who have sooo much potential. Very few of them work out but the ones that do are spectular. By the way, he outplayed tyler hansborough.

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 6:15 PM

Please tell me you're joking. "spectacular"?

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

James Gist will be a bust and is unlikely to make it into the NBA.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW, at least James Gist proved something in college. He's not Kwame who was just athletic. Besides, looking at our track record, we make really good 2nd round picks

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

James Gist will be a bust and is unlikely to make it into the NBA.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 6:35 PM

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

@george

i'm a bit down on koufos. while his offensive game certainly looks good, i'm not so sure he can hang defensively or on the boards with nba centers. he does have a lot of potential though. basically if we hadn't already used a pick on pesche a few years ago, i wouldn't be so down on this one. and while i think koufos is a better player, i still hold fast that we need a center who is a defensive standout first.

@matt
gist has been projected from somewhere in the second to undrafted. while i can understand the comparison to smith, since smith was not really a full fledged pf when he came into the league, gist never had smith's offensive skills. defensively, he's a lot like a smaller version of wilcox, and a good, quick shotblocker.

i definitely think he can make it in this league though. no doubt he has the athletic ability. i jsut think he needs to pick what he's going to be. if he wants to be a post up in side guy, then focus on your footwork, strength, and playing with your back to the basket. otherwise, he needs to become consistent with his jump shot and improve his ball-handling skills.

i like his potential defensively a lot more. he's very quick for his height, and can jump. he could matchup against a lot of the bigger 3s in the league, and hold his own against' 4s like jamison. i would love for the wiz to pick him up for the summer if he goes undrafted.

Posted by: JC | May 19, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

JC-better idea. trade our first rounder for a veteran who can really help the team and a second rounder. then spend it on gist. I don't like trading draft picks away but 3 rooks is too much. Besides, i'm sure it would be easy enough to add a second rounder on.

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

For the last time, I'm saying that he could become what Joe Smith has become, not that he is Joe Smith. Besides, its not my fault I don't remember what Joe Smith was like- I'm 14.

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

James Gist has almost no offensive game besides getting a ball and putting it back. His shooting stroke is gawdawful and he's like a stiff that can jump. Also, he showed absolutely no leadership whatsoever his senior season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

"What makes you think that? How many 2nd rounders make an immediate impact anyway?

Posted by: Matt | May 19, 2008 6:38 PM "

Why would the Wiz waste a pick on James Gist when they have a few players just as raw as he is, nevermind the fact that he would play the same position.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 19, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Good points JC, but I don't see a center in this draft that is NBA-ready on the defensive end. Maybe Robin Lopez, but I am just not sure about that.

As for anon, LeBron is the best player in the game and is 6-6 250 and built like a brick wall. For him to whine, complain, flop and fake to get calls is beneath him and his talent. For us to call him on it and mock him for it is not the same thing, not even close.
LeBron is a great player, but he deserves our contempt as does a bellyaching, incompetent ninny like Mike Brown.

Posted by: George Templeton | May 19, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 19, 2008 4:12 PM
If you wish to discuss basketball and why or how the Wizards need to improve, your input is welcome. If you wish to glorify other teams, there are probably more welcoming forums than this one as this one is normally focused on the local team. No one has stopped you from presenting your opinions though.
Mr. James not only has the freedom to whine and complain, he can even come on here to this forum and say what he likes here. In fact, he is paid lots of money to show his scowl on national tv and takes the opportunity whenever it presents itself to ask for fouls, complain about fouls, tell his coach the mean kids on the other team are hurting him . The only thing he or you cannot do mr. anon, is to prevent me from thinking what I wish to think, and prevent me from speaking what I wish to say about James, Arenas, Jamison or whichever player I may wish to discuss (hopefully on topic with Messrs. Carter and Lee). I can say his basketball skills are excellent but the rest of his character is not worthy of emulation. I can think ill of him as I wish. I can't understand why you are being so thin skinned about it, Mr. James can certainly take care of himself, he appears to be twice my size and twice my weight and gets around the playground pretty well on his own without your help. He pushes aside Songaila, Jamison, Butler, Pierce and assorted other mean kids and flips them on their backs when he isn't flopping off their fingers. I'm a nice guy by comparison. He nor you should quiver at the little silly criticisms around here, words don't cash checks in the bank, lose endorsements or erase 100 foot murals about witnessing.
Perhaps you don't oppose tyranny and thought control as much as others in this country do. I absolutely abhor the Kim Jong-Ils and General Chavezes of this age. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

Posted by: hyopcrite is what you call me | May 20, 2008 2:21 AM | Report abuse

OK Anon. If you look at my posts, you'll see that I stated up front that James is one o the top 2 players in the league IMO. As far as envy is concerned, I envy every professional athlete in the league. Who wouldn't want to play ball for millions ? I have nothing personal against James even tho he's eliminated my team for 3 years straight. I just believe there is such a thing as a ticky tack foul. When James gets hammered hard, he usually doesn't say anything. It's when he gets the light fouls that shouldn't bother him based on his 'I was made for this' comment that he starts complaining to the ref. You can't have it both ways. If you get up a head of steam from the 3 point line and barrel into the lane, expect some contact.
As far as Gil is concerned, I competely disagree with you, though I respect your opinion. I don't think he was trying to get face time or regain his national exposure. I believe that he thinks he gave us the best chance to win even at 75%. Turns out he was wrong. I still think he had more to lolse than to gain because he knew he was not healthy and would not be the player that he was before the injury. If he'd sat out, he could easily have put it on the team doctors and said publicly that he was healthy enough to play but the docs made him sit it out. Teams would work him out before the free agent period began and by then, he'd be closer to full health. Given his age, his value would still have been pretty high.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

As a follow up to my point a couple of days ago about the integrity of the NBA, I found this online ...

"A lawyer for the former NBA referee Tim Donaghy suggested in court papers Monday that games had been influenced by relationships among referees, coaches and players, and that other factors had "prevented games from being played on a level playing field." The league immediately denounced the charges as unfounded. According to documents filed by the lawyer, John Lauro, Donaghy provided law enforcement officials with information about NBA matters outside of the government's original investigation. That included information about the gambling activities of other referees and an instance in which confidential information was suspected of being passed from a referee to a coach. The NBA dismissed all of Lauro's charges without responding to specific statements."

I've always suspected that Steve Javie on his anti-Bullets/ anti-Wizards crusade was crooked. I wouldn't be surprised to see his name surface eventually in this Donaghy investigation. Its funny how this stuff is on the back pages. NBA dollars at work.

After the low ratings debacles of the past Spurs/Pistons series I doubt we'll see that matchup again. The NBA will see to it. Expect to see some suspect calls in the Lakers and/or Celtics' favor.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

How them Spurs? Think there's enough left in their tank for the Lakers? The Lakers are slightly bigger than the Hornets, they can clog the lane and prevent Tony Parker getting his layups. I've also seen the Spurs falter too many times in the playoffs. It's a wonder they won last night with the three main guys having such low field goal percentages. Tim Duncan 5 of 17, Manu Ginobili 6 of 19? As Tony Parker said after the game, they won last night because of their experience, probably referring to keeping their composure above all.

Posted by: rgz | May 20, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

A rumor that's out there...
The nets #1 pick, Richard Jefferson and Marcus Williams to the Nuggets for Camby and Melo.
Should we be interested? How about Caron and Jamison for Camby and Melo? Could GA, Camby, and Melo do some damage in the East with Camby at PF? I like that makeup, actually. It would certainly solve our rebounding problem. Playing Camby at PF might even keep him healthy. If we're gonna blow it up, lets consider everything.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

BTW, before I get flamed, I'm just throwing the trade possibility out there for speculation. I know Camby's 34 and has a history of injuries. I also know that GA has stated that he wants AJ here. I'm also pretty sure that Ernie is gonna keep this core together.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

If anybody saw FCP this past weekend, you would have a heard a good reason for Carmelo not to be traded to DC. The Wiz could use him, but DC is way too close to B'more, and 'melo has made a conscious effort not to come back here b/c of the bad elements that continue to try to pull him back.....

"don't be a snitch..."

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"What continues to amaze me is how some players on the team escape criticism while a guy who played less than 20 games this year has become the magnet. If you want to see why we lost and you need a player to point a finger at, why point it at the guy who only started 2 games and apeared in 4 of the playoff games? Criticize him for talking too much, for judging other players, etc. but he is not the reason we lost to Cleveland.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 7:40 AM "

It's nothing to be amazed about.

If Gilby had just shut his mouth and blog down after his injury, and not created unnecessary drama, then nobody would be talking about him.

But, the media hog that Gilby is, he just can't resist.

Declaring that the team isn't better without him.

Not telling the coach that he was going to play.

Not telling the coach that he was shutting it down.

Lumping himself with AJ with regard to contract talks, many times....

That is why the team captain, Caron, told Gilby to STFU....b/c they are busy trying to win playoff games, not make their lives harder from a non-contributor.

mark, you need to wake the FU.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Declaring that the team isn't better without him."

He's right. Validated by the coach and the captain, Jamison.

"Talking about driving up GW Parkway and ramming his car into a tree and down into an embankment."

Has nothing to do with basketball.

"Not telling the coach that he was going to play."

Coaches fault for not controlling his team and allowing it.

"Not telling the coach that he was shutting it down."

Coaches fault for not controlling his team and allowing it.

"Lumping himself with AJ with regard to contract talks, many times...."

"mark, you need to wake the FU."

embargo reestablished...

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"You need to live YOUR life and stop trying to live Gilberts. It wouldn't hurt to get some help for your obsession. As long as you continue to act as though you know everything (particularly as it pertains to Arenas), you will continue to be the scourge of this blog. Remember, it's A-RE-NAS, not UR-A-NUS. Mind ur own azz, not his.

embargo reestablished...

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 9:46 AM "

It's funny.

markie complains that people are bashing Gilby for no reason because mark thinks Gilby has been quiet like a mouse all season.

Then, when I give examples to refute markie's pipe dream, he then turns it on me and shoots the messenger.

------------------------------------------

"He's right. Validated by the coach and the captain, Jamison."

Yes, the team is so much better without Gilby that they played better as a team and got into the playoffs without him. Yea sure.

"Has nothing to do with basketball."

Yes it does, b/c it's a distraction to the team. He said he wanted to commit suicide because of his basketball related injury and not being able to come back, and for his idiotic decision where he overdid his rehab routine for PR's sake. Gilby said it himself that what he did was stupid after the fact.

"Coaches fault for not controlling his team and allowing it."

Can't blame the coach for players acting like idiots.

"Not telling the coach that he was shutting it down."

see above.

"Standing up for your teammates so that they can get paid is a virtue, not a curse."

AJ appreciated it so much that he got in front of the camera and reiterated Gilby's comments by saying he won't stay unless Gilby stays too. d'yeah right...

-------------------------------------------

If markie can't handle the truth, then he should take a couple of more hits on that bong he's got.

Then, maybe markie will come up with more brilliant predictions like his most recent one that the Wiz "are a finals team."

true dat.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

BTW, AJ is a big boy and can handle his own business.

Especially since AJ averaged over 21 pts and over 10 rebs per game this season.

The funniest thing is that you and others, especially Gilby, gave credit to Gilby for making his two other all stars better, namely Caron and AJ.

Well, we all know that both those dudes made the all star team without ANY help or assistance from Gilby this past season. They did it anyway, without him.

Therefore, the argument that Gilby plays a big part in those two guy's success is way overblown and OVERRRRATTTTEEDDDDDD!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Has nothing to do with basketball."

...this has EVERYTHING to do with basketball. if a young player (Nick Young) sees an alleged "vetern" like Arenas undermind his HEAD COACH, then what type of example does that set? also, if other players in the locker room have to ask questions about Gilbert's suicidial thoughts, about his psyche, you wouldn't think that may cause even a small DISTRACTION? Thus affecting his TEAM.

Coaches fault for not controlling his team and allowing it.

...hey mark, don't you believe in a little something called courtesy? isn't any PROFESSIONAL suppose to give their COACHES and TEAMMATES this?

"Not telling the coach that he was shutting it down."

Coaches fault for not controlling his team and allowing it.

...look dude face it, you're a Gilturd apologists. if he spat in the face of your mother, you'll ask your mother, "what did you do to Glibert, because Gilbert wouldn't harm a hair on your head, mama". I'm mean seriously, cut it out already with your Gilbert "Can I stroke your penis" Arenas love fest already.

Blaming Eddie Jordan for allowing it to happen? Are you serious? So, Eddie can put a .45 to Gilturd's head and demand that he tells him if he plans on playing. How about faulting Ernie Grunfeld for letting this soap opera that is Gilbert Arenas continue. Ernie has Eddie walking on eggshells, thats why Eddie can't bench Arenas if he wanted too. Don't think Ernie gives a constant pass to Gilbert Arenas? Well Isuggest that you do some searching on controversial acts or comments made by Arenas, then look search for a Eddie Gurnfeld comment. If he made one at all then it was in favor, supportive, or indifferent. Ernie has NEVER said Arenas was or is wrong about ANYTHING.

get over yourself, mark. then get over Arenas, because it looks like if anyone is worrying about Gilturd's ass, it's you, mark.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Anon. I don't worry about any ass but my own...and my woman's.
I'm also not getting into a pizzing contest or insult-fest with you. The fact that you call the guy Gilturd tells all of us here that you can't be objective yet you talk about me being an apologist? Hmm. That's a little hypocritical, don't you think? Try not to let Gil's 'antics' color your judgement of what he is on the court.. a great player. I personally don't care what car Gil drives or what he does with his car as long as he's not committing crimes and he's producing on the court. Do you think a stronger coach would allow a player to make his own rules? Probably not. Gil is not the captain and has admitted that he's not ready for the responsibility. Some ppl like to follow rather than lead. Nothing wrong with that. What young guys like NY should be doing is following Gil's lead when he gets to the gym at 4AM to shoot jumpers or goes into the hood to inspire kids to try to do better.
I happen to agree that it's not all Eddie's fault. I should have said it's management's fault. That would include EG. The problem is that Gil is one of the primary reasons the stands are full. You remember the fan sentiment after we got rid of Webber? Gil is here to stay because mgmt isn't making that mistake again. If you have a coach who can't reign in a player, you have to get another coach. Fans pay to see players, not coaches. I'm not saying it's right. It's the way it is.
Courtesy?!! You must be stuck in the 60's, dude. Gil owes his teammates and coaches 100% on the court and nothing more. It'd be nice if he did things for the community or made leamonade for his teammates but contractually, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in there that states that he has to give his coach a heads up. Besides in any other professionally run organization, the team physicians would have been talking to the coach and making the decision. I'm not comparing Gil to Jordan we've all heard stories about how Jordan would curse out his teammates and coaches. Courtesy?! You talking 'bout courtesty?

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

PS.

1. Only my mom calls me markie.

2. And I don't smoke buddha, can't stand sess.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Some ppl like to follow rather than lead. Nothing wrong with that. "

markie, you missed the point. Gilby neither follows nor leads. He's doing his own thing for his own personal benefit.

Also, you don't ask for max money if you're going to just be an individual contributor and do your own thing whenever you want, without informing the coach first. Gilby is 26 now...not some kid out of high school.

He should know better and should be setting an example on how to be a pro, and being a pro isn't just about putting balls in the baskets. It also means acting like a professional and being responsible.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

btw...i was on draftexpress...and a lot of times these draft picks work out with a trainer prior to the selection process...well i found on one article that nick young has been working out with one of the trainers/skills academy...i see that as a real positive sign..i think we'll see big things from him within the next two years

Posted by: jason | May 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Thx for being civil, 88 (or should I call you mom). We don't have to agree but there's no need for insults.
I get what you're saying. I just disagree. As a paid athlete, you ask for max money whenever you think you can get it.
I think you missed my point. It should not be a players job to decide whether he plays or not. As long as he has been cleared medically, the coach should be deciding based on what he sees in practice. If they let him get away with it, why is it his fault? He broke no rules.
Again we disagree on what being a pro means. I think that it means making as much money as you possible can while you can. From dictionary.com, here's the definition of the word..."following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain". While he should have a moral responsibility to be a positive role model, his main responsibility is to himself. That goes for every athlete out there.
Based on what I've seen and read, he's not done anything (yet) that marks him as a bad individual socially or a bad player on the court.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

markie, Abe pays Gilby to win championships, not for other reasons like for Gilby to be able to afford a grotto.

EJ took an offhands approach to Gilby because he is a "player's coach" and he doesn't have the cajones to step up because he's not a proven guy in the league (long tenure with proven success or rings). We all knows that when player goes against coach, coach usually loses.

If you look back, very few "players coaches" have won much of anything. The guys that have won are strict, regimented, and demand accountability. They include Phil Jackson, Riley, Popovich, etc.

Letting Gilby do whatever he d@mn pleases is not a recipe for success, and the team has shown they have had success without him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

if only lebron would get aids ahhh what a glorious day that would be!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Lecrybabys game isn't overrated but the league respect he gets is.
He has Done nothing in this league to deserve the respect he gets. It took Mike years to get that respect, It took kobe years.

But Piss and moan baby gets it right away HORSE SH*T. lEBRON IS A JOKE. To the post before to hell with aids I wish brendan would've decapitated the whiney bit*h. F lebron F the cavs and F the league which over the years has become a joke. Players cheating (lebron) refs cheating(timmy) who knows whats real in this league anymore.
Who needs a rule book because it doesn't apply to all players in the league. Jordan never whined and cried like this he just let his game talk. The people at the top have destroyed this league.

Posted by: Fact | May 20, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

EG recognizes the pieces we have in place and the weaknesses that need to be addressed. Whether the owner will open the purse strings to do it is another story. The Wiz have a 1st rounder, a mid-cap exception, and the ability to go above the cap to resign AJ and GA. Let's see what EG can do this offseason besides hope for a season of good health.

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 12:05 PM

Exhibit A of why you're a douchebag. People like you are a waste of the process of conception. You don't give your fellow man courtesty? I'm not saying love everyone, but damn, looks like some things like common courtesty and respect wasn't too high on priority list of ethics in your household growing up, huh? And Jordan cursing out his teammates corrlates to their play on the court. Not becuase he was self serving and promoting.

what are you really saying? you know what think about it and keep it to yourself.

not

worth

hearing...

Posted by: 2:10+ anon | May 20, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

No one is forcing you to read the posts, dude. You talk about common courtesy and respect in the same paragraph that you insult someone you don't know? Wow. You are now banned! Embargo !
At least 88 has the stones to type his name. 88, good points. I'd just place more blame on the chiefs than on the indians.

Wizfan89, I apologize if my comments solicited the crap talking. Every once in a while I just get bored with the anti-Gil stuff. I'll move on.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

What would you suggest that the Wiz do in regard to EJ and Gil? You acknowledged that he doesn't have the 'guts' to punish him and that coaches get fired before players. I agree. That being the case, where do the Wiz go from here? I know you'd like to see Gil gone but that's probably not gonna happen. We're seeing the writing on the wall based on EG's comments, etc.
Assuming that Gil will be here next year, what do you suggest? Should we hire a no nonsense asst. coach to rein him in? That's what some teams do. Should we institute new team policies?
Whether you or I like Gil or not, he's probably gonna be here. We may as well accept it. What can we do to improve our team? I've advocated running more but most folks here don't like that idea. I think shooting more 3's helps or rebounding (longer rebounds on longer shots). Do you think we can win with the core that we have?

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

... blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada, hmm, hmm, hmm...I'll move on.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:30 PM

thank god! and to get respect you have to earn it. why should i respect you, if you don't respect the idealogy of basic ethics such as courtesty and respect? and i'm banned, well lets see sheriff marky, how are you going to do that? STFU, mmmmmkay?

you may now slide your chair from the table and excuse yourself, you're all done here.

Posted by: 2:43+ anon | May 20, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

banned from conversation, dude.

embargo= governmental restriction on trade

no more trading thoughts with you. no soup for you !!

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wizfan89,
I'm not seeing Abe going over the cap. I think EG is putting his chips in the 'ride it out for one more season' basket. The way he was talking, we're gonna see what we can do if healthy. Sure would be nice to add a nice piece, though. Joe Smith would have been a nice pickup for us this past year. Though I thought he'd be better coming out of college, he's still a valuable big man in a short series.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm still not convincd that a AK47 for AJ sign and trade swap wouldn't work wonders for us.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

They Wiz are already over the cap. It's the luxury tax they're steering clear of.

Can't see Jamison for Kirilenko doing much real good for either team. Kirilenko is a nice complementary player on offense, but he'd have to be more than that to fill Jamison's shoes. And he's a solid defender, but not necessarily a game-changing one. And I really don't see any reason why the Jazz would want to pay Jamison $10 mill for the next 3-5 years. He doesn't fit Sloan's style at all.

Posted by: kalorama | May 20, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

yeah, Kal. wishful thinking on my part. so is Josh Smith. I'd sacrifice some offense for great D and shotblocking at the 4.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

From what I remember from the pre-Boozer Jazz, AK47 is one of the premier shotblockers in the league when he's at his natural position.(4). With him and BTH in there with AB spelling both, we could be formidable in the middle defensively.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"88, I think that owners pay players to fill seats. Though there are a guys like Abe who want to win first (because of his age in our case), I truly believe that most owners are satisfied with a product that sells without regard to the record. Why else would a team like NJ bring in a guy like Vince Carter? Because he jumps high and ppl like to see that.

Posted by: mark | May 20, 2008 2:41 PM "

Place your bets.

Do you think the viability of a franchise is on stronger ground by winning championships or by hiring clowns? Playoff success puts people in the seats.

Sure, not all teams have playoff aspirations, but Abe has tasted that championship before, and I don't doubt that he wants to win. I think he knows that this cast of players isn't championship caliber, so he made a shrewd move not to venture into luxury cap penalty territory because nothing to gain from it, and would rather accept lux tax benes.

Other wealthier owners probably would have done whatever it takes to win and would have been more aggressive.

EG is not a man that walks in the back way. He will address it this summer via a sign and trade, or he will tell Gilby to cut the crap. His rep is on the line, and I doubt if he'll let a clown player ruin it for him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"I've read all of the postings between mark and DCMan88 and have one thing to say: this is a blog for Wizards fans to discuss the team, its players, and its future. Fellow bloggers don't need you clogging up the blog with your personal insults and running commentary on every comment made by Arenas. Grow up!!!!

Posted by: wizfan89 | May 20, 2008 1:34 PM "

Unfortunately for you, your gripe would only matter if you were somebody..maybe a moderator, but you're not, so keep crying..

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

There's more to defense than shotblocking. The Wizards need to develop a consistent defensive philosophy and execution rather than looking for someone to come in and act as an eraser when things break down. If they're going to make a change at PF they need someone with size and strength on the interior to hit the boards and matchup physically down low with big, strong post players. A little low post offense would be nice too. They really don't need another jumpshooting "power" forward.

Posted by: kalorama | May 20, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Forget about personnel changes- it's pretty clear that we'll be going into next year with the same guys.

I think getting healthy will help us a lot. Gilbert gives us tons more offense. Etan is a good backup center and allows Blatche and Songaila to move back to their natural positions.

Questions:
Will our rookies be ready for significant minutes next year? Will EJ play them, so our main guys can reach the postseason healthy and rested? Can we learn to defend the three point shot, especially against teams that use a second small forward at the shooting guard position? Can we learn to defend the small, quick players who seem to get into the lane at will against us?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'm looking forward to seeing Blatche pair up with Etan in the middle. Their strengths and weaknesses compensate for each other. Etan- physical, strong, and intelligent, but undersized. Blatche- quick and long, but soft."

Really?

I didn't know AB and ET would be guarding the same man.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 20, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

That's the whole point. Let's say Drew Gooden posts up Blatche a couple of times in a row and seems to be getting into a rhythm. Next time, you switch Etan onto him to give him a different look and disrupt his flow. A little later, maybe Gooden starts hitting his midrange jumper over Etan, so you switch Blatche back onto him. Etc.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

You can even make the switch within a single possession. If Gooden beats Blatche for position in the low block, but the ball gets reversed to the other side of the court, this time, let Etan fight him for position dow low.

So yes, AB and ET would be guarding the same man, just not at the same time.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse