The Early Line: Who's Drafting Whom?

In his most recent post, Ivan Carter takes look at Tuesday night's lottery and projects how the top five will play out on June 26. How do *you* think it will go? Take the polls and explain yourself in the comments below (Note: for arguments' sake, assume there are no trades in the top five) ...

By Jon DeNunzio  |  May 21, 2008; 7:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lottery winners and losers (we think)
Next: Lakers Take/Spurs Give Away Game 1

Comments

overall though...i want the Wizards to draft..

Ty Lawson...PG North Carolina H: 5′ 11″ W: 175 lbs

Strengths:

• Quickest player in college basketball?
• Strength
• Ball-handling skills
• Changing directions/Hesitation moves
• Pushing tempo
• Transition play
• Putting pressure on defense
• True point guard
• Court vision
• Unselfishness
• Passing on the move
• Assist to turnover ratio
• Creating his own shot
• Hands in passing lanes
• Ball-pressure
• Upside

Weaknesses:

• Size
• Perimeter shooting
• Off dribble shooting
• Mid-range game
• Defensive potential
• Leadership skills in clutch
• Experience/Consistency
• Decision making
• Finishing in traffic

...get him to work with Dave Hopla...as soon as he gets down to DC..that will defenitly improve his really ONLY weakness...he gets 8.1 asst. per 40 mins..he's compared to T.J. Ford...who was the guy on here who said we should pick him up??.....

anyways read more about him...

Posted by: Fulvio aka wiz-skins07 | May 21, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

on a review they did on him...its says he EXCELLS and is the best Point Gaurd in college in the UP-TEMPO style of play...you know they Wizards love this when Gilbert is on the floor...on they other hand he isnt good at the hhalf-court game but he isnt bad either

Posted by: Fulvio aka wiz-skins07 | May 21, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I think that the Wizards should package their pick and a player (say, Songaila or Daniels) and trade for a rebounding-and-defense-oriented power forward. They have enough young players (Young, Pech, DMac, Blatche), and they need help on the boards and on D.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 21, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

I like the kid Lawson from UNC, but when has ANY UNC PG went on to have a decent career in the NBA? I can't think of a single one myself.

I think they should draft either Hibbert or CDR. I think they're both defensive oriented players. Both could also score here and there. The Wizards really don't need another NY type player, all offense and NO defense.

Take jamont gordon or chalmers in the 2nd.

Posted by: Red(Calbert) | May 21, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Mr. DeNunzio,

The Post keeps trying to get us interested in the NBA, hence the Wizards/"NBA" chat and posts like this. BUT WE CARE ABOUT THE WIZARDS!!! All we've wanted since the season ended is to speculate on the 18th pick and trade scenarios.

Sure the Wiz followers are small in number, but we are just as dedicated as the Skins nuts. Stop having Mike Lee write about Kobe and KG. We need to know about Hibbert, Robin Lopez, Ty Lawson, DJ Augustin and whomever else RealGM.com and nbadraft.net projects for the Wiz kids. We all know the 18th pick is not an impact pick, but WHO CARES!!! GIVE US FREE, i mean give us wiz draft coverage and the fertilizer out of which ridiculous bar conversations and oversized championship dreams are made of!!!

Posted by: Truthsayer | May 21, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them get a young, true point guard in the draft. I think Ty Lawson would be great, but what about Sean Singletary? I don't see him on many draft boards, which makes me think he could be around in the 2nd round. Singletary is a better shooter than Lawson, just as quick, similiar size, and he loves a big moment. If Singletary had the talent around him that Lawson had at UNC, Singletary would have been first team all-american, but he did pretty well with 4 guys who didn't derserve to play ACC basketball on the floor with him.

I'd love to see a CDR or Hibbert with the Wiz first pick, and try to get Singletary in the 2nd.

Posted by: CRitch | May 21, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I got mad game on that Prison yard. Who knows, I could go in the top ten if people ain't careful.

Posted by: Prison Balls | May 21, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

CDR seems a little too much like Caron to me. I don't know that scoring is what we really need on this team. With GA healthy, we don't really need another PG, either. How many teams have a 3rd PG that can really play (besides maybe Memphis). I think we have to invest in size even if it's not someone that will be able to step in this year. Otherwise, we should draft the best available/trade the pick and package it with something else to get some veteran size.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

As much as I have always hated picking up veteran guys with only a little left in their tank (see Roundfield, Thorpe, Richmond, Gus Williams, etc), guys like Kurt Thomas, PJ Brown and Robert Horry have been able to make significant contributions to their respective teams. Maybe we can find an old guy to step in and give us some minor but quality minutes.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say that CDR's scoring at Memphis will transcend to the NBA. Since he's not a natural scorer like Nick Young, DEFENSE should and will be his focal point coming in to the league.

If drafted, he'll be the best Wizards defender on the perimeter.

Posted by: Red(No to 0) | May 21, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe we can find an old guy to step in and give us some minor but quality minutes."

Hmmmm... where is Ike Austin when you need him?

Posted by: Red(Ike for Ben) | May 21, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

OK. The main complaint about the Wiz on this blog all year has been EJs rotation. There's really no need to keep stockpiling talented guys to keep on the bench. Most coaches play only an 8 or 9 man rotation. Our top 8 based on minutes in EJ's rotation this past year are...
GA,DS,CB,AJ,BTH,AD,AB,and RM. So what do we do with Nick Young, D McGuire, Pech, and whoever we get at 18? It makes litle sense to get another young guy just to give him pine time.
This is what I'd do if I was forced to use only 8 main guys regularly...

Starters:

GA - 35 minutes a game at pg
NY - 35 minutes a game at sg
BTH - 35 minutes a game at c
AB - ~25 minutes a game at pf
CB - 35 minutes a game at sf

Bench:

AJ - ~30 minutes a game at pf, sf
AD - ~13 minutes a game at pg
RM - ~12 minutes a game at sg

This leaves us with these guys who should almost never get any time unfortunately..

DM - blowout minutes only
Pech- a few per game at c
Deshawn- a few minutes a game at sg
Songaila - should never see the court

Everybody else should be a practice player only. We need more length in the starting lineup. AB gives us that. It also gives us a scoring beast off the bench in AJ. Any other suggestions?

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If drafted, he'll be the best Wizards defender on the perimeter.

Posted by: Red(No to 0) | May 21, 2008 11:05 AM

CDR is a natural scorer. He can get his shot off from anywhere. He has unique release points and great body control. He's similar to AJ in that way. His shooting is pretty good, too. Plus, he's a much, much better defender than NY.

Posted by: Colin | May 21, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

When you pick up a vet with a little gas in his tank, you have to already have a good team but need someone who might help you at a very limited, specific, critical moment.

When the Bullets/Wizards picked up Mitch Richmond and Gus Williams, I think management actually, possibly naively, and certainly desperately, expected them to be the top-tier, go-to guys they had been three or four years earlier. Dan Roundfield and Otis Thorpe were expected to play more limited roles, but still larger ones than they were capable of performing at that stage in their careers.

PJ Brown (a player very similar to Roundfield and Thorpe) was picked up for exactly what he did during the Cavs series, which is provide in total about 25 minutes of extraordinarily high-level play in a couple of key games for an otherwise strong team. In his case, the Celts made an inspired correct guess. On the other hand it turned out that they were far better off using Eddie House than Sam Cassell.

The Wizards should either trade the 18 pick with AD to Memphis for Kyle Lowry and a 2nd round pick, or draft Roy Hibbert.

Then in February 2009, if they look like a contender (i.e if Arenas, Butler and Jamison are healthy and productive), they can decide whether to bring in an aging star or near-star -- most likely a high-scoring small forward in the Bob Dandridge tradition -- to help them get over the hump. Grant Hill (Phoenix will reduce his role considerably) or Peja Stojakovic (his role in NO will also diminish considerably but in the right slot behind Butler he would be a briliant change of pace) would be good examples.

Posted by: khrabb | May 21, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of rumors, FCP reported that Zo wants to come back. We could use him, and his toughness, but we probably can't afford him and he'd probably want to play with a team closer to a ring.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 21, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

"Never thought I'd say this but I think we have too much talent. It may not all fit together on our team but we have a bunch of guys who could contribute on an NBA team.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 11:12 AM "

Too much talent? Surely you don't mean on defense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 21, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I surely don't, 88. We seem to have a bunch of guys who can score, though. NY can flat-out put the ball in the hole. RM is a decent long range bomber. I still think Pech has some potential to be a good shooter. He could be a Okur-type in the best case scenario. Worst case is he's Tom McMillen (Bullets version, not Hawks). Songaila might make a decent rotation guy (8 or 9) on another team. Same as DeShawn.
At this point, I'm thinking Hibbert all the way or maybe Batum with our pick. I'm not sold on the Lopez twin but maybe.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If the Bulls draft Rose, then what becomes of Hinrich? I think the wizards should make a play for that guy.

He's a true point guard, not a great or even good defender, but he'll be an all around upgrade at the PG position. He's defense is better than Arenas, but about even with Daniels. Offensively, I think he's the prototypical PG.

Trade Daniels, the 18th pick, and AB

for

Hinrich, Thomas, and a future draft pick.

Could this work?

Posted by: Red(Hiny) | May 21, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hibbert won't work for the Wizards. He's a guy who excels in a half-court, slow-down offense. He can't get in the open floor and run. He won't be logging big minutes, either. The Wizards should really be looking to draft a guy who can score off the wing AND play hard-nosed perimeter defense, and a guy who can play good post defense.

Hibbert would do better with a team like Utah or Detroit.

Posted by: Colin | May 21, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey mark, I know you said Pech could be a Okur TYPE/LIKE player, but I think his footwork is terrible. I've tried to figure out how could the wizards use him, but I can't.

Hard worker? Yes. Talented? Yes.

NBA material? NO!

Posted by: Red(Ukraine) | May 21, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Trade Daniels, the 18th pick, and AB

for

Hinrich, Thomas, and a future draft pick.

Could this work?

Posted by: Red(Hiny) | May 21, 2008 12:20 PM

Hinrich has a terrible contract. And, as you mentioned, his defense is awful, so what would be the point? He's simply not a guy the Wizards need. And he played some awful basketball last year. I'd rather have a tough guy like AD.

And Thomas is simply awful at this point. His offensive skills are non existent. His defense is poor. He's not worth it.

Posted by: Colin | May 21, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Hinrich is a system player who is never gonna duplicate what he did a couple years ago. He's maxed out kinda like Juwan did his best year here. Hinrich is JJ Redick...deadly shooter when open and effective playing with great players but nothing special. Rose would be my pick if I were the Bulls.

Red(Ukraine), are you from the Ukraine? Have you seen Pech play outside of the NBA? If so, you may have more insight as to his potential. From the little bit that I've seen (mainly summer league against scrubs), he's a decent rebounder in traffic and when he's hot he can hit a jumper out to 3 point range. If he can't play, we need to get rid of him and find a guy who might produce. My problem is that we need to see what we've got before we just let him go.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

One other thing about Rose: In the EC, he could take a team to the conference or NBA finals even without a big-time low-post scorer. Maybe not next season, but in a couple of years. See Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd. D'Antoni has called Rose Jason Kidd with a jump shot. And if that's the case--he can shoot and distribute--I think that serves the Bulls better right now.

Posted by: Colin | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Colin,
I have been really critical of drafting Hibbert in the past but I remember the work he did against Oden. I personally think he outplayed him. Also it's never a bad thing to have a 7'2" guy in your lineup. I absolutely agree that he's as slow as an ice wagon and would be a liability on the fast break. That's when you need a PF who can pick up the opposing C til Hibbert gets up court. We don't have that, either. I guess my main issue with Hibbert is that he was not a great rebounder in college. If you can't do it in college, you aren't gonna do it in the pros. I can't think of single instance where a guy didn't rebound well in college yet did it in the NBA.
BTW, here's the scouting report on Batum and it's relatively impressive.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Colin,

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Colin,
BTW, here's the scouting report on Batum and it's relatively impressive.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the triple.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I say go for Hibbert (unless a very good PG option falls into our lap). Yeah he doesn't have the upside some of the others do but he's guaranteed to be a solid rotation player for years to come. we need more size (as well as a pg) and a decent backup to BTH. One day etan will be gone. Hibbert gives us a guy who already knows some of the system and has good passing skills in the high post. in 3years he'll be equal to BTH. It's a safe pick but it's also a smart pick.

Posted by: pindar | May 21, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Pindar, do you give Hibbert AB's backup center minutes? If so does that mean AB is riding the pine now? I'm assuming that we keep Jamison and play him for 40 minutes per game at PF again. I like the idea of some sort of big man rotation as long as BTH plays at leas 35 minutes.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Playing Hibbert at backup C doesn't mean Blatche gets shut out. it means he gets to play at his natural forward positions(s) where his combo of length and quickness are advantages and his lack of bulk/strength is less of a deficit.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't want us to stand pat and am in distress that EG has as much said this is the plan. I am dumbfounded and praying that he is saying what is politically correct and is secretly planning to blow it up. Ok...maybe not that extreme but standing pat and praying for an injury free year, Gil to mature & stealing the next Karl Malone or Steve Nash at pick 18 seems beyond hopeful.

I do not believe Gil is going to come back with 100% of his quickness and explosiveness. Without this, he is not going to be the threat he was previously and I do not want the future of the franchise tied to him. Also, he could not (more like chose not to) play defense when he had two good knees. Don't care what he did in the past, don't care that he plays hoops with the local kids, don't care that he is an "entertaining" local figure.

Sign and trade Gil. I don't know the numbers but would love to see what package could be built to facilitate trading Gil for Chris Wilcox. He seems to have that physical prescense we are lacking and bonus he is a local kid which a lot of posters seem to like.

Caron Butler is the engine for the Wizards and can be expected to bring something else next year. No fire needs to be lit under this professional.

It would be great to keep Jamison as a 6th man if possible but if he needs one more fat contract I would rather he go home to NC.

I would use the 18th pick to select the best available true point guard and let AD mentor him.

Nick Young and Blatche need to have the best strength conditioning trainers money can buy and told their playing time next year will directly correlate to the work the put in this summer.

I would keep Darius for his intangibles, BTH for consistency this past year and Roger Mason for his steady play and 3 point accuracy.

So something like this:

RM
Dominic McGuire
AB
ET (begrudgingly)

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | May 21, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 1:16 PM

Drafting Hibbert also gives the Wizards a true backup Center; thereby allowing Blatche to go back to his natural positon - backing up Caron and Jamison.

Both Jamison and Caron could use fewer minutes - so having Blatche there makes sense.

And Mark - I'm not sure how your 7'3" Center is a liability on the fast break. Generally speaking, your wing players are filling the lanes on the break. I really can't think of too many "fast breaking" centers in the league.... (perhaps Howard, or Camby)...

On the other hand, your point about Hibbert and rebounding is spot on. Really his only flaw, other than athleticism.

But at # 18, ANYONE they pick will have flaws.

If he's available at # 18, I think the Wizards should take him. He's ready for the NBA now (4 years experience at a major University, playing in a major Conference). He can contribute right away. He's played in the Princeton offense. Great passer, both from the high and low posts. Good one-on-one post defender. Good in the pick-and-roll. He plays hard. Good "head" for the game. AND he's a hard worker (perhaps his MOST important asset).

I'll tell you what - I'll be very disappointed if the Wizards draft someone with "huge potential" but a lousy work ethic - and then watch that pick sit on the bench wasting away for the next 3 years. The Wizards already have a couple of players that have had their work ethic called into question (Blatche, Young), they certainly don't need any more.

Posted by: Rook | May 21, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"... Look at Cleveland.. They don't seem to have any difficulty getting out on the break with Ilgauskas at Center."

Thats because Lebron James IS their fast break. Only Lebron, and maybe West.

That's it.

Posted by: Red(Fast Break) | May 21, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Very few teams run 5 man fast breaks. And teams that have a big man who can shoot facing the basket often get scores even after the defense cuts off the initial break by getting the ball to the trailing big man while the rest of the defense is packed in around the basket. The Lakers did it all the time with Kareem in the waning days of his career, as did the Bad Boys with Bill Laimbeer.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kal, I agree that PF or even SF are AB's best positions. Since we are pretty certain that AJ will get 40+ minutes a game, where do you fit AB in? He's best suited for the 4, I believe. No minutes there for him, though.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Stangelove, you're taking a huge risk by asking AD to start at the pg position. You saw what happened this year. Personally, I don't care what GA does off the court, either. I don't see getting anyone better, though. Assuming that you're right and he doesnt have the same explosion again, isn't he still better than most guys you could get out there in free agency? I think his range is his most valuable asset.
I'd roll the dice with Gil at less than max dollars. If he can find a max deal elsewhere, good luck. We just have to hope there's not another Juwan Howard situation. That was a PR debacle til the commish saved us.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"Since we are pretty certain that AJ will get 40+ minutes a game..."

Given that he hasn't averaged more than 40 mpg in the 5 years he's been a member of the Wizards (his high was 40 mpg in 2005-06) where, exactly, is this "certainty" coming from?

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

My bad ... he's only been here 4 years, not 5.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

You're right Rook. Maybe Hibbert doesn't cost us more than 2 or 3 buckets a game because his opponent sprints upcourt. My main problem with him was his lack of aggression and rebounding. After Jeff Green left, you'd have thought that he'd recognize his role as the go to guy and be more aggressive. With $millions$ of reasons to play a little selfishly, he played worse than the previous year. He even regressed a bit, IMO.
He seems like a nice guy but if millions and lifetime security for you and your family doesn't motivate you, what will? I think that what you see is what you get with him.
As for him being a good passer, he avgd 2 assists a game. If he'd been triple teamed and passing up shots all year, his teammates should have been able to make more than 2 shots a game off kickouts.His rebounding, shotblocking, fg% and ft% all dropped this past year. I'm back on the fence with him now that I think about it. He could very well be a bust.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Between the SF and PF positions (and the likelihood of the occasional small lineup) there will be minutes for Blatche. Will there be a ton of minutes? No. But has yet to prove himself capable or deserving of playing a ton of minutes.

Posted by: kalroama | May 21, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

And besides, do we really want to see Jamison and Butler pulling 40+ minutes?

Give em each 32 - and give the rest to Blatche.

That only happens if Blatche does NOT have to back up Haywood.

So, draft Hibbert.

Posted by: Rook | May 21, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Kal, you're splitting hairs here, man. He's averaged 38.77 minutes in the 4 years since he got here. Perhaps I should have said ~40 minutes a game. You know what I mean, though. He's gonna get heavy minutes as long as EJ is coaching. Where does AB fit in? Only at backup C?

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I gotcha. But Kal, you know we really need him to develop unless we are planning on making a deal or a big man.
I like Rook's idea of making him the exclusive backup at C and PF. Of course, that means that now Pech/Etan are completely out of the rotation.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

...and whatever other big man we intend to get would also be out of the rotation. It means we're tying our future to AB in a way. Do we really want to do that?

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"I like Rook's idea of making him the exclusive backup at C and PF."

You misread that. His suggestion was to make Blatche the exclusive backup at SF and PF and leave him out of the C rotation entirely.

Etan has no future with the team. When he hits his contract year in 2009-10 his expiring deal will be trade bait. No sense waiting until then to secure a replacement. And Pecherov hasn't shown anything to suggest that his spot shouldn't be up for grabs. Hibbert, having not played a nanaosecond of NBA ball, right now looks to be as good or better than any other backup C option the Wiz currently have available.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"As for him being a good passer, he avgd 2 assists a game. If he'd been triple teamed and passing up shots all year, his teammates should have been able to make more than 2 shots a game off kickouts."

Not every good pass leads to an assist. Basketball (unlike hockey) doesn't record "secondary" assists. Hibbert is unquestionably a good passer out of the post (low and high), even if his assist total doesn't show it. Another instance where stats don't tell the whole story.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

On the same subject ... only 6 NBA Cs averaged 2 or more APG last season, so even by the stat standard alone, Hibbert is a pretty good passer.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:46 PM

Which opponents are those? I mean in the Eastern Conference.

If the Wizards draft Hibbert to play BACKUP Center.... where are these Eastern Conference Centers that run like deer?

You mean speed demons like:
52-year old P.J. Brown & Brian Scalabrine of Boston?
Earl Barron, Mark Blount, Alonzo Mourning of the Heat?
Othella Harrington or Nazr Mohammed in Charlotte?
Aaron Gray in Chicago?
Ben Wallace or Anderson Varejao in Cleveland?
Theo Ratliff or Antonio McDyess in Denver?
Primoz Brezec in Toronto?
Samuel Dalembert or Calvin Booth in Philly?

I'd like to know which of those 2nd string Centers in the Eastern Conference are going to "sprint" downcourt and beat 21 year old Roy Hibbert on the fast break. THOSE are the guys that Hibbert would be playing against on the 2nd team.

Because for every young athletic Joakim Noah type Center in the league - there are 6 slow footed plodders....

The old adage is: "You can't teach size"... it's not: "Don't draft a guy that's 7'3" because he's slow"...

For all the talk about the NBA going to smallball, with quicker, more athletic players - there's still room in on someone's roster for a legitimate 7-footer with REAL size...

If the Wizards don't take Hibbert, I guarantee Cleveland will. They know the value of a good low post scoring threat. A Center that can step out to 14 ft and hit a good percentage of shots. A good passing big man that shares the ball. A guy with REAL size, that can't be pushed off the block. A hard worker. One that hits Free Throws.

Millions of $ didn't motivate him; otherwise he'd have come out in his Junior year. He went back to Georgetown to try to WIN the NCAA Championship.

If your argument is that he regressed because he was not "selfish".... then give me that type of player every day... One that is NOT motivated by Money, but rather by winning. A player that sees the advantage of team play, and not the $ rewards of fighting through triple teams to get his own shots...

You said: "I think that what you see is what you get with him. " - and that's EXACTLY why the Wizards should draft him.

Posted by: Rook | May 21, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Hard to argue with that, Rook. I'm used to players going balls out in contract years or senior years just to get the money. Team success was important to him and I commend him for wanting to win rather than just go for the gold.
Maybe I'm looking at it like we are drafting a guy to step into the starting lineup. As a backup to BTH, Hibbert probably more than fits the bill....especially since he was a lottery pick if he came out last year.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah i misread, Kal. I actually think that Ab is a better fit at SF if he extends his range a bit. My ideal lineup would have him and CB at 3 and 2. AJ's size could be mitigated a bit by having a 7 footer at the SF spot.
I think AB is Jared Jeffries with more offensive skill and upside.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

per hoops hype..the bucks are shopping redd and vilaanueva....villanueva for the 18th would be sweet!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 21, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

villanueva for the 18th would be sweet!

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 4:38 PM

Yeah - especially if the League suspended the rule that says you have to match salaries if you are over the Salary Cap.

You're right, it would be sweet!!

But it is, right now, against the rules for the Wizards (or any other team) to trade a draft pick for a player - and not get matching salary back in return.

Posted by: Rook | May 21, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I think AB is Jared Jeffries with more offensive skill and upside.

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 3:27 PM

I think there couldb be another difference: Blatche thinks he can bring the ball up, Jeffries can bring the ball up. Thus Jeffries sometimes gets to play SG and/or guard the opposing SG, in addition to SF. I don't think Knicks have put him in as PF, though I don't really watch the Knicks.
I've seen several times AB rebound or block, dribble the ball up, then try for the layup or dunk and miss the shot. He needs to pass off to a guard, let the guard bring the ball up, catch the ball from the PG or SG and jump for the dunk. I like AB, I even believe he has earned more minutes (when he started for CB), the problem is that he ran out of steam into the 4th Q. It would be good if he did more strength and conditioning work offseason, and give himself a 10PM curfew during the season. That should be part of his growing up.

Posted by: rgz | May 21, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I could live with him trying to push the ball on the break and missing the shot. It's when he pushes the ball on the break and turns it over (either by charging into a stationary defender who has all day to set up, dribbling the ball off his foot, or trying to dish the ball off in traffic) that really kills me.

Posted by: kalorama | May 21, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

It's the poor conditioning... poor work ethic... and nonchalant attitude that kills me. It's like he said "OK, I got my contract - now I can skate for a few years" .

Posted by: Rook | May 21, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm still for taking gist with our second rounder. He's very athletic and could provide some much-needed interior defense and shotblocking.
Meanwhile, I have an interesting question. Who would you take, the Wizards Big 3 or Boston's Big 3? Personally, I would take GA,CB, and AJ but that has a lot to do with their youth and the fact that Ray Allen can't hit an open layup right now. The youngest member of the Boston Three Party is Pierce, who is 29 but has a lot of mileage on him. Same goes for KG.
...Just some thoughts

Posted by: Matt | May 21, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

After watching them play game 7 against the Cavs and game 1 against Detroit it' gotta be Boston hands down. PP & KG create their own GOOD shots. It seems like CB, AJ & GA just never can sustain a good streak. Once in a while they get in a rythm but then whoeve is hot doesn't touch the ball or they just think that they need to shoot from anywhere. No consistency.

Posted by: Whose big 3? | May 21, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 21, 2008 2:46 PM

Mark, how much did you watch the Hoyas? There's no question Hibbert is a stand-out passer for a center. The knock on him for lacking aggression is a load of crap. In addition the Hoyas run a system where it's difficult to consistently score big points. Games tend to be low-scoring so there aren't many boards to go around. Sure Jeff Green left, but the entire Hoyas starting lineup had decent offensive capabilities. Jeff Green himself only averaged 14 or so pts a game and 6+ rebounds his senior year. He was still Big East Player of the Year and a #5 pick because he can play.

I think the Wizards should trade the pick if possible to get a veteran role player, but Hibbert is much better than he's given credit. He's going to be a GOOD career backup center. He could be stronger in some areas (he's slow and yes I'd like to see him dominate the boards more), but he's got some rather eye-opening strengths as well (very quick with solid post-up moves, and again he's a great passer).

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | May 21, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Trade down for Joey Dorsey.

Posted by: Jason | May 22, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

I would argue for Hibbert only because he was coached by JT3 who ran the Princeton at Georgetown, but unfortunately, the Princeton is not run at Verizon.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 22, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

DC Mann88...

It is ran at the Verizon..as long as Gilby isnt in the line-up..when he is in we push it...thats why im going with Ty Lawson..he EXCELLS in those situations

Posted by: Fulvio | May 22, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Hoyas about 5 times this past year so I am admittedly not the Hibbert expert. He just seemed to lack a little fire on the times that i did see him. I watched them a lot last year.

Posted by: mark | May 22, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | May 22, 2008 11:04 AM

He's definitely had games where he's played with fire and dominated his opponent. There have been other games where he hasn't. My impression of Hibbert has been that he works his butt off and puts his heart into the game, but that didn't always translate into big games. Sometimes that was because his teamates just shot a lot (that's how it goes with GU's team-oriented system), and other times becuase Hibbert was just a very good college center, not a great one.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | May 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"DC Mann88...

Posted by: Fulvio | May 22, 2008 9:31 AM "

Good point.

A lot of people on this blog though, don't care about substance...they just want dazzle, whether the Wiz go deep in the playoffs or not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 22, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

..but back to the original point made by someone a couiple days ago...
Whoever we draft isn't gonna get much time this year and will make a marginal impact at best. We're gonna have to find a way to win with the guys we have or get a veteran who can contribute.

Posted by: mark | May 22, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I'd love to see them trade the pick and get another solid veteran player.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | May 22, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

They aren't going anything of real value in trade for the pick. There's not a lot of demand for the number 18 draft selection, and none of the players they have to offer in combo with the pick are in high demand either.

Posted by: kalorama | May 22, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse