Blatche arrested, today's workouts

Here's the link to the story in today's paper (thank you Bill Brubaker from Metro for the help) on Andray Blatche, who was arrested in south-central Virginia yesterday for driving with a suspended license (for the third time) and reckless driving. I don't have much to add because I have not yet been able to speak with Andray or Wiz President Ernie Grunfeld.

I do find it interesting that Va can hit you with reckless driving for going 86 in a 70. They don't play over there in the commonwealth. As for the big picture, you have to wonder whether Andray simply has the worst luck in the world or simply doesn't get it.

I'm getting ready to head over to the VC for today's pre-draft workouts and will let you know what I can when they conclude. Also, I should have a list of tomorrow's workout guys as well.

By Ivan Carter  |  June 5, 2008; 10:23 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday's workout
Next: Picking Celtics Wasn't Easy

Comments

At least he didn't get shot.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Blatche better get a good local lawyer who practices traffic law in whichever county he was ticketed in ASAP. He should not delay. He also needs a driver and a good wife, girlfriend or personal assistant who's going to nag him into doing things, filing papers, showing up for appointments, checking into court

Posted by: rgz | June 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I feel for him getting reckless driving for going 86 in a 70 - that's not that bad.

But driving with a suspended license for a third time? Stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Maybe feeling for him if only he wasn't stupid enough to go FAST AT ALL when your license is ALREADY SUSPENDED and CAUGHT 3 TIME ALREADY! Definitely too stupid for his own good, but then some of us were similarly stupied when we were 20 or 21 too...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I was the one who charged Andray. He was speeding and I pulled him over and was surprised to find he was black. I figured a black man driving a benz must be up to no good so I arrested him.

Posted by: Virginia police officer | June 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Correction - 3 TIMES...similarly stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

If he ain't careful, he could be joining me in that lock down!

Posted by: Prison Balls | June 5, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

See ya Blatche!

Posted by: Ernie G. | June 5, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I vote for bad luck. None of what Dray has done so far is anything "that bad". I mean hookers, suspended license, "reckless" 86 in a 70 zone driving -- nothing countless others have done w/o getting caught.

Posted by: Adam | June 5, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Usually, you only get assessed reckless driving if the cop pulls you over and you can't put two words together that say "sorry officer."

As talented as some high schoolers are, guys like AB and Kwame Brown are proof positive that these guys are not ready for life on their own, nevermind the NBA.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 5, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

This, in and of itself, is not a big deal -- I know I've exceeded the speed limit by 16 mph from time to time ;-) -- but the issue is his ongoing lack of judgment. The kid just doesn't get it, and continues to 'not get it'.

That keeps showing up on the court, too.

Posted by: Keithinator | June 5, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Every bit of trouble Blatche has gotten into has occurred while he was in a car -- driving without a license, shot, soliciting a prostitute, etc.

Can't Ernie give him a Metro pass? Can't Gil lend him his bicycle?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hold on a sec, does VA even have roads with a 70 mph speed limit? I've lived in Southwestern & Northern VA and never seen one.

Posted by: RH | June 5, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Why was he driving from Georgia with a suspended license? This is not like a quick run to the store but a cross country drive. On a suspended license? That's just stupid.

Posted by: Bart | June 5, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

He's 21. It comes with the territory of drafting high schoolers. Either the league needs to stop drafting so young or just deal with the inevitable screwups that go along with youhful immaturity. I know lots of guys who've driven with suspended licenses. Dumb ? yeah. Uncommonly dumb ? Nope ?

Posted by: mark | June 5, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

yeah - no one on this board is in a postion to pass judgement on the guy for this. but like rgz said - get someone to help you organize your #$^%. pay off your fines, get a driver. can't the team help out with that?

Posted by: random dude | June 5, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Caron needs to take Andray under his wing. Let him know what it's all about, what a privilege it is to be young and rich. Because it could all go away tomorrow.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If he was intoxicated or under the influence, he'd defiitely be gone. I would imagine the brass will still grill him on this, but nothing serious. Funny that his name is associated with the law again, does that make 3 x's in 4 summers here? Or is he perfect with Johnny Law since '05??

Posted by: CN | June 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

hoopshype says Stefhon Hannah 6-1 PG and Michael Lee 6-9 SF are working out for the Wiz tomorrow. I could not find a Michael Lee profile anywhere.

Posted by: rgz | June 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Guess the officer wasn't smart enough to ask for ID of the female passenger in the extra short skirt and 6" high heels. Blatche bought snatch got lucky on that one.

Posted by: Earl | June 5, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

come on! I had so many tickets for over speed. Its nothing..:)

Posted by: NL | June 5, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"give the guy a break. why even suggest blatche "doesn't get it" or "isn't ready for life on his own" for something as petty as this? maybe he used poor judgement, but we're talking about something really petty here.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 11:22 AM "

Dude, AB has a history of issues since he's been with the team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 5, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

anything over 80 is reckless, whether the speed limit is 70 or 55.

Posted by: jrp | June 5, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Blatche needs to wake up! I really like the kid but you cannot allow yourself to get arrested 3 different times (especially for the same thing).

Let's get it together Blatche!

Posted by: aaron | June 5, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

His repeated pattern of bad judgment (on and off the court) is certainly a cause for concern. On the flip side, it was that same tendency that allowed Grunfeld to sign him for a below market contract that should be easy to move.

It's looking more and more like Blathce will end up another "what could have been" NBA tale.

Posted by: kalorama | June 5, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Third offense for driving on a suspended licence? It's obvious that he doesn't take it seriously. If I'm the judge, he's doing a month or two of jail time.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 5, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

come on! I had so many tickets for over speed. Its nothing..:)

Posted by: NL | June 5, 2008 11:57 AM

By itself, maybe not. But, as an earlier post pointed out, this is part of what has become a pattern of immature, irresponsible behavior. It doesn't speak well as to his potential to develop into the type of player and person who can be a key player on a contending team.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 5, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

It's easy to get the charge in VA, so go easy on the kid. Reckless driving in VA is anything 15 mph over the speed limit.

I was going 81 in a 65 mph zone on I-95 on my way down south for vacation. (How many times do you speed on 95?) Rural cop gave me a ticket on the spot and charged with reckless driving no questions asked. I was friendly and nice, didn't help, those rural communities thrive on the revenue. I live in DC and had to go to court 2-3 hours way down in VA. Huge hassle. At least I'm not pro baller that will get slammed in the media.

Posted by: Don | June 5, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

When I was younger, one of my friends got her license suspended for driving over the speed limit and we all had to drive her around for a while.

So bottom line - get your homies and girl "friends" to drive you around when you have a suspended license. You always have many of those when you are a rich celebrity!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Dray ought to stimulate the economy and hire a full-time driver, like DCMan88, and then prohibit Wiz blogging as part of the contract.

Posted by: Izman | June 5, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Don, again as rgz said in previous post -"If I remember right in VA 20mph over the speed limit is reckless driving. Regardless of the speed limit (say 70), anything over 80mph is reckless driving also."

So you getting that reckless driving was not for going 15 over, but it was over 80. I know back 10-15 years ago, 20mph over COULD be reckless if the officer wanted to or felt it was warranted. He COULD just give you a ticket for REGULAR SPEEDING instead. Not sure if that still applies.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he was just driving with a "lady friend" and got too excited and pushed too hard on the gas pedal.

Posted by: NFeKPo | June 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Adam | June 5, 2008 10:57 AM

That doesn't mean countless other driver's aren't also stupid.

Posted by: NFeKPo | June 5, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Just because other people do dumb/foolish/dangerous/illegal things doesn't stand as an excuse for any one person to do it.

Posted by: kalorama | June 5, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

It is not the driving 80 mph that is the problem, it is the suspended liscense that is the problem. I think that means you aren't supposed to drive at all if the liscense is suspended, am I correct? Why was he then driving from Atlanta to DC. Now, THATS stupid!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Plenty of others get caught speeding in Virginia and get a reckless driving. But driving on a suspended license and getting caught 3 times is just a complete disregard for the law.

Posted by: Andrew | June 5, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 5, 2008 12:12 PM

That's just stupid.

This country imprisons more per capita than any other country in the world. why should we be imprisoning people for things like suspended licenses?

There is so much "tough on crime" hysteria in this country. And it carries over to how we treat athletes (especially when black) when they use "poor judgement."

Hasn't anyone learned a lesson from the Sean Taylor tragedy? This guy was repeatedly criticized for being a "thug," and he turned out to be something completely different.

When it's driving 86mph or driving with a suspended license, we're much better off suspending our own judgement. Grunfeld should give Blatche a slap on the wrist, and we should move on like it's no big deal.

Cause really, it's no big deal.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Take a flight from Georgia.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, come on, guys, this dude has been arrested only 4 times or so. No big deal.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think when working out guys prior to the draft, he should check their driver's licenses and give them a road test in the streets around Verizon Center.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Johnnie Futbol,

Depends on how you define "big deal." I certainly don't think jail time is appropriate, I also don't think you can brush it off like it never happened. The Wizards have invested $15 mill in this kid and so far his pattern of irresponsible behavior indicates that the reward may not be worth the risk. This latest infraction may not deserve jail time, but there's certainly legit cause to wonder how long it'll be before he breaks a law that does land him in the slammer.

Posted by: kalorama | June 5, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

AB's license may be revoked and he will have to ride a bike to work everyday.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 5, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I've gotten a speeding ticket in Brunswick County and they watch you pretty close there. At least he cooperated. Sometimes the cops there will cut you a break if you are polite. I think they wrote me down as 79 in a 65 when I got stopped.

Posted by: George Templeton | June 5, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe AB should borrow Gilby's parachute and install it on his Benzo.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 5, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Whoever brought up the fact that this bama was driving from ATL to DC is 100% correct. Makes me wonder what was driving from ATL to DC in the 1st place?

Posted by: C.Bell | June 5, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

kalorama, i don't mean to suggest that this incident is entirely trivial, but I do believe people are nonetheless overreacting.

Take your comment:

>>"This latest infraction may not deserve jail time, but there's certainly legit cause to wonder how long it'll be before he breaks a law that does land him in the slammer."

We're still talking about driving 86 mph and with a suspended sentence. I don't care what priors Blatche has (the worst of which - soliciting a prostitute - it seems like half the males I've met could be accused of), this recent infraction does NOT suggest a tendency towards a more serious crime. Believing otherwise is a slippery slope where we start making assumptions about people that might likely not turn out to be true.

What all this really amounts to is a 21 year old who has accumulated a handful of petty infractions. There are just way too many people who are guilty of that, with most growing to be normal adults.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

My bad on the last statement. I meant to say, "makes me wonder what was worth driving from ATL to DC". As in, what was in the car.

Posted by: C.Bell | June 5, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

You can be going 80 in a 70 and have someone riding your ass!

The Wizards site has video of the workouts. That dude Speights looks pretty good.

Posted by: Darnell | June 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 11:22 AM

The point here is not that he was "speeding" - I mean, heaven forbid if every one of us were caught speeding and had our names plastered all over the newspaper...!!

The point is that he's had numerous run-ins with stupidity. This is not a one-time, oops I screwed up, dumb luck thing. This is a pattern.

Taken one at a time, each of those prior events just looks like "bad luck", or boyish immaturity... Taken cumulatively it says a whole lot more!

Posted by: Rook | June 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"While I'm glad you don't favor jail time, don't you think you're making a bit of a leap just assuming sooner or later Blatche will be committed for a more significant crime?? Think about it."

I have thought about it. And based on the fact that he's been arrested multiple times in 3 years, I've concluded that he has a pattern of poor judgment, questionable behavior, and an unwillingness/inability to learn from his mistakes that makes my conclusion quite reasonable.

Posted by: kalorama | June 5, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Proof needs a chauffeur.

Posted by: John Brisker | June 5, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

-Johnie Futbol

The carnage on the highways is cause enough for censoring a driver for speeding, add three violations on a suspended license and someone should be keeping tabs on this kid or hiding the keys.
It should be noted that the worst thing Blatche has done isn't even against the law, that was getting himself shot. Together with this ongoing string of minor infractions, you wonder if Andray is going to make it, not only in the NBA but out of a delayed adolescence; the learning curve seems to be a little flat, even for a 21 year old.
Also one wonders about drafting kids out of high school without providing a chaperone, the Wiz don't seem to have a serious strategy for guiding them towards maturity and developing their talent, they just draft them and hope for the best.
I hope Andray makes it but I'm having doubts.

Posted by: Myshkin | June 5, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

>It should be noted that the worst thing Blatche has done isn't even against the law, that was getting himself shot.

Nice, blame the victim. how low can you go?

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

We all have done dumb things when we were young (and not so young) but the pattern here is inescapable. Clearly, Andray Blatche has bad judgment and shows few signs of improvement. Does that mean we should trade him? Only if we can get something better in return...

You may remember that CWebb committed a few youthful indscretions while he was here and after he went one toke over the line, we traded him for Mitch Richmond's corpse.... Presumably, we won't do anything quite that ridiculous with Andray.

Posted by: khrabb | June 5, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Nice, blame the victim. how low can you go?
-J Futbol

I call it identifying a worrisome pattern.

Posted by: Myshkin | June 5, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Lets stop with he's just twenty one excuse because thats just what it is an excuse,why I ask would you be driving on a suspended permit, in Va. no less he is stupid period end of story.This is why guaranteed contracts are a bad idea in pro sports,he know's they will be no repercussions other the usual outcry from wiz fans if he joe citizen he might still sitting in a cell.Get him the hell out of here NOW!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | June 5, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice article by Tom Knott. Hits the nail on the head.

"Man, there are much worse crimes then this. I mean why even waste any negative emotions towards an arrest for driving 86 on a 70mph highway, or even a 3rd charge of driving with a suspended license?

give the guy a break. why even suggest blatche "doesn't get it" or "isn't ready for life on his own" for something as petty as this? maybe he used poor judgement, but we're talking about something really petty here."

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 5, 2008 11:22 AM

Let's see.... soliciting a prostitute, shot, driving with a suspended licensc, speeding with a suspended license. Lack of judgement and stupidity go a long way. So what makes you so sure "he gets it". Seems to me he still doesn't get it.

Johnny, if this was your kid, would you feel these were still "petty"?

Posted by: jjames | June 6, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Yes it is dumb to continue to drive on a suspended license--particularly when you are so high profile. But nobody has ever classified AB as scholar, to my knowledge. But lets face it, in this day and age, we should be happy he didnt have weed or a gun in his car. Which sad to say is probably the norm behavior for most 21 year old NBA players with no college education. So from this latest incident, I say play on AB, just get yourself a steady girl to drive you around until your license gets reinstated. Its not that hard...

Posted by: oddjob | June 6, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Johnny, if this was your kid, would you feel these were still "petty"?

Posted by: jjames | June 6, 2008 9:06 AM

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 6, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"I certainly wouldn't want to throw him away like some of you. Assuming Blatche is a mix of good and bad (as is true about everyone, to varying degrees), I certainly wouldn't lose sight of the other side of Blatche. I certainly wouldn't lose complete perspective because of some ridiculous, American-style hysteria over "crime.""

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 6, 2008 9:50 AM

Didn't want to imply throwing in the towel with him. However, there needs to be some accountability and the situations he has found himself in, bear a good similarity with other athletes and non-athletes alike of going down the wrong road and not being able to turn it around. Seen it happen too often.

It would be a shame to have for the off court stuff get in the way and derail his promising career. He has a lot of potential. Let's hope he matures and starts thinking things through.

Posted by: jjames | June 6, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hope the Wizards give this guy a look this summer...

Josh Duncan
6-9 F, Xavier

Posted by: Kev | June 6, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jjames | June 6, 2008 11:43 AM

Well that much we certainly agree on.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 6, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I heard that AJ and his wife have a large guest room with a indoor basketball court out back in Charlotte.....maybe Blatche could move in with the Jamison's so they could keep tabs on him and he could work with AJ in the offseason on his game. AJ could also take him to the gym to left weights to get stronger.

Seriously, Blatche has demonstrated a repeated pattern of bad judgment since he was drafted. It appears to be more than a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Life lessons should have taught him to stop driving with a suspended license, period, at this point. I hope Blatche has reached the point of no return, because he's quickly running of chances. It's a shame given his talents.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 9, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse