Introducing JaVale McGee

To hear 7-foot JaVale McGee tell it, there was no doubt that he was going to be a Wizard when it came time for the 18th pick to be made.

"I knew they were going to take me," McGee said. "They were constantly talking to me, constantly trying to get me to workout for them and constantly in contact with me."

McGee's best skill appears to be shot blocking. He rejected 2.8 blocks last season (14th in the country and dropped this great quote when I asked him about that particular part of his game.
"If I were in a video game right now, shotblocking would be a 90."

As McGee said, he did not work out for the Wizards but he chalked that up to rough scheduling. (Translation: his agent didn't want him working out for the Wizards - at least that's my guess. I'll find out more.)

The Wizards took McGee one pick after Roy Hibbert went to Toronto, who will send the pick to Indiana.

Asked whether Hibbert would have been a possibility at 18, Ernie Grunfeld answered: "Yes."

Grunfeld said the decision to take McGee was all about following the board: "We rank our players through a four, five, six week process and when it comes time to pick, we look at our board and take the highest-ranked player."

Grunfeld said the Wizards were close to making some moves up and down but nothing came together.

More later.

By Ivan Carter |  June 26, 2008; 9:55 PM ET
Previous: Draft Night | Next: Walker moving

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

see?

Posted by: wizzinator | June 26, 2008 10:05 PM

Thanks for the update. Besides shot blocking, how good a defender is he? Seems to be we already have a shot blocker with his body type on the team.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:05 PM

I can't believe we passed on Arthur. We don't need another soft post player who will take years to develop. How is he different than Blache?

Posted by: Greg | June 26, 2008 10:05 PM

Trade

Posted by: Andy S | June 26, 2008 10:05 PM

DeVon Hardin is a beast down low. He is a banger in the post who can board and score. What do you guys think?

I know we need a backup PG, but most the PG's left are combo/shooting guards.

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:05 PM

ANOTHER MANUTE BOL..GEEZ,ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Posted by: big daddy | June 26, 2008 10:06 PM

I definitely would have rather seen Hickson, whom the Cavaliers grabbed. He is a banger and has an NBA body already. His rebounding and strength could help us now.

Posted by: Greg | June 26, 2008 10:07 PM

Arthur will go early 2nd round, at the latest, since 2nd round contracts ARE NOT guaranteed.
There was a Euro dude (Marcej Lampe?) about 4 years back that was invited to the green room, but wasn't picked until the first pick of the 2nd round, probably b/c of a buyout issue.
Feel bad for Arthur though, he'll play with a huge chip on his shoulder...

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:08 PM

yikes!! that comment about not working out for the team... i know its speculation, but i don't like the sound of it at all...

Posted by: jp | June 26, 2008 10:08 PM

Kiss of death, Darrell Arthur is drafted by the Hornets, #27, cheers to him...

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:09 PM

anybody like DeVon Hardin??

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:10 PM

WHAT A BACK TO THE FUTURE PICK..What were they thinking..manute lives
He was first drafted by the San Diego Clippers in the 5th round of the 1983 NBA Draft, but the league declared the pick invalid and ruled that Bol had not been eligible for the draft. Bol played college basketball at the University of Bridgeport during the 1984-1985 season, and in 1985 he was drafted in the second round by the Washington Bullets. He played in the NBA for ten years, from 1985-1995, spending parts of four seasons with the Bullets, parts of three with the Golden State Warriors, parts of four with the Philadelphia 76ers and part of one season with the Miami Heat. In 1987, the Washington Bullets drafted the 5 ft 3 in (1.60 m) point guard Muggsy Bogues, pairing the tallest and shortest players in league history on the court for one season.

Posted by: big daddy | June 26, 2008 10:12 PM

damn......Portland is gonna be dangerous for a long time coming

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:12 PM

Wow, a poster said that the reason Arthur was sitting was EG's fault. I thought it was sarcasm, but Arthur just said on ESPN that "I took a blood test in Washington, but I guess they didn't tell everyone the results..."

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:13 PM

Worst pick I've ever seen them make. Worse than Kenny Green or Mel Turpin.

Posted by: Alex in Frederick | June 26, 2008 10:13 PM

Anyone ready to see us pushed around next year? How many softy 7-footers can we have on the team?

Posted by: Wizzy | June 26, 2008 10:13 PM

7-foot-6. Is that a typo??

Posted by: wisdom80 | June 26, 2008 10:13 PM

He is 7-0 ft ...not 7-6

Posted by: Chocolate City | June 26, 2008 10:14 PM

yeah he's 7'1, 7'6 wing span

Posted by: steve | June 26, 2008 10:17 PM

CN, are you sure that's what he said? I heard most of the sentence but couldn't make out the word Washington (the phone rang).

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:20 PM

Posted by: 1st and Goal | June 26, 2008 10:20 PM

hmmm already angry about the pick but if that arthur/wiz blood test is true then i am completely dissapointed with the wizards.

Ok let me think we have pecherov, blatche, haywood, and mcgee. Excluding thomas dont we have enough long skinny 7 footers. and what are we trying to do? If we are trying to rebuild down low lets do it the right way! trade and get some quality draft picks, rebuild so we can be a champion caliber team my god! I would think that it would be better to go strongly in one of 2 directions. Either aquire players ready to contribute and further us in the playoffs or rebuild for the future. Not pound in the big three and slowly develop a bench we have built based on upside.

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 10:22 PM

Yes, as I reported on the previous post, when SS asked him about his kidney, he said there was no problem.

He said he took a blood test in Washington and passed, but the word didn't get out.

EG should have drafted him anyway. McGee can't help, if at all, for another 3 years.

DA produced on a national championship team with 2 other 1st round picks. If DA had to retire early b/c of his kidney, it would be no worse than drafting JaBust McGee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:25 PM

"So he is 7 feet tall with a 7 foot 6 inch wing span and he averaged less than 8 rebounds in the WAC? Sounds like a real hard worker who has a great physical presence! WTF Ernie? "
__________________________

He got off to a real slow start in the first half of the season. He didn't start ballin til the second half last year. And when he got going, he was a force out there. Putting up multiple double doubles with 4/5 block games.

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:26 PM

If EG makes a trade for Luther Head, Darrell Arthur better be sent to DC for JaBust.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:26 PM

Ivan asked Ernie if he would have drafted Hibbert and he said "Yes." Sounds like the Wiz plan A (Hibbert) was gone and they were left scrambling.

As GTown fan I would have love to seen Hibbert on the Wiz. Now we're stuck with Javale McScrub!

Posted by: jansjay | June 26, 2008 10:26 PM

Posted by: | June 26, 2008 10:20 PM
------------

Yep, he said he took a blood test in Washington, which makes sense, since he stopped by earlier this week for a work out. Chad Ford did say that he & his agent had previously decline to take tests on the kidney though...

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:27 PM

Any chance we drafted McGee to trade him to someone else? Wishful thinking maybe?

Posted by: Larry | June 26, 2008 10:27 PM

Check that. I hope JaBust gets traded as part of a package for someone else.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:27 PM

screw this

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:28 PM

Ivan, tell ernie to make a move on Chalmers before he's gone!!!!

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:29 PM

Let's say AJ walks. Who's the starter at 4?

DSong.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:30 PM

Damn, looks like DeAndre Jordan just made a huge life mistake. He could be in for a rough time now. No guaranteed contract and not NBA ready. He prolly could been top 10 next year easy.

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:32 PM

the starter at the 4 spot would have to be......DeVon Hardin

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:33 PM

AB

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:33 PM

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:34 PM

i live in Reno, NV. This pick sucks.

Posted by: dave | June 26, 2008 10:34 PM

Why does DeVon Hardin keep posting on this blog? Shouldn't he be on the phone with his agent or something?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:36 PM

"DCMan, I think it'll be Blatche. Remember, when he started those games last year he put up a double double in every game. I think something like 18 & 12 or something. I still like DSong off the bench.

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:34 PM "

I hear you bro, but EJ doesn't. I think EJ will err on the side of caution and go with DSong.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:36 PM

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 10:37 PM

because DeVon Hardin wants to be a Wizard

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:38 PM

"I have always looked at the bright side of things on the wizards front. but it seems the team is stagnant and is headed for another similar season. we need to rebuild and we need some muscle. Hopefully we have a high draft pick next year or we can make it so we can get some muscle like blake griffin. our team is just turning into a weak team known for its goofballs.

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 10:37 PM "

Ummm, a high pick next season means next season will be a complete collapse, with possibly both Gilby and AJ resigned.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:39 PM

I think Chalmers will go to Portland, gut feeling...

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:41 PM

Nah, not this time. I think its clear Eddie is starting to feel the pressure to play the guys Ernie drafted more. Look at how the roster has changed since Ernie's been picking. All of Eddie's "Favorites" are gone. And the last being Mason (even though I'd love to see him stay).

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:42 PM

Why are we having this discussion about the 4?
Is AJ really leaving or are we just prognosticating?

Posted by: Tyrone Biggams | June 26, 2008 10:42 PM

Ivan, what's up with that Beaubois kid that was here a few weeks back? Is he available to come over next season if he was drafted?

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:44 PM

Damn, there goes Walter Sharpe. I see Ernie reaching and picking a overseas body to just keep over there. Unless he got a plan to snag Chalmers. Or maybe Pat jr.

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:45 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:39

Yea i know this but i rather have 1 bad season and look towards rebuilding a stronger team then having mediocre season after mediocre season of losing to the cavs in the first round. and oh yea i forgot we also have veremenko over in europe. thats another skinny 7 footer. we might be able to package something for a future draft pick.

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 10:46 PM

Wow, some projected mid-1st rounders still available at 34, get on the phones EG!!!

Posted by: CN | June 26, 2008 10:46 PM

Or take a leap and pick up Jordan. If he don't pan out in Summer League, no harm no foul

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:46 PM

ESPN's take:

"There are now 20 giggling 40-year-old white sportswriters typing the name "Verne Troyer" and the word "sex tape" into Google. The rest of the guys are typing the name JaVale McGee in."

Sweet! That's exactly what you wanna hear about your draft pick and the future of your franchise.

"ANOTHER MANUTE BOL..GEEZ,ARE YOU KIDDING ME!"

That's pretty funny, because that's exactly what I was thinking. Portland can take Arthur later in the 1st round but the Wiz can't? Funny.

I know EG has made a couple good trades but his draft record really SUCKS! Young was a gift last year, the Wiz could have taken Arthur this year and had an even better bench. Now they have a bunch of big men who will never see any playing time.

Makes no sense at all to me unless they move one or two of them. I really think the Wiz are going to regress this upcoming season. I hope not, but it's one of those things you can just see coming and can do nothing about.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 26, 2008 10:47 PM

that sucks!!! dorsey could've really helped this team. maybe he should've been the pick at 18. tuff kid. sorry, MAN.

Posted by: big daddy | June 26, 2008 10:47 PM

so so far pecherov, veremenko, blatche, mcgee, and haywood. interesting....

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:48 PM

Either this is a deep draft or we got some idiots running the nba teams. 4 top 20 players (ranked by espn) still on the board. Chalmers, CDR, Jordan, and Bill Walker.

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:49 PM

So much for your 2nd Round diamond in the rough Ernie

Posted by: Joe Dumars | June 26, 2008 10:50 PM

Go Javele McGee! We should've would've isn't going to change anything. We have what we have, deal with it! I think Javele was a solid pick - we shall see. Now let's focus on the second rd pick.

Posted by: DEMJ | June 26, 2008 10:51 PM

Posted by: Adam | June 26, 2008 10:51 PM

why is our future based on long very skinny tall raw athletic prospects. WTF

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:52 PM

You gotta feel bad for the guys who didn't get drafted in the first round, but still brought their entire family and sat in the stands.

They are going buckwild when their kid gets called. They should know their kid won't get a guaranteed contract.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:52 PM

Damn.....when the mocks started coming out DeAndre Jordan was high on alot of them. He definitely made a poor choice of coming out this year.

Posted by: LooseCannon | June 26, 2008 10:52 PM

"Am I the ONLY person who heard them say countless times that Arthur had a kidney problem that everyone was concerned about???

Posted by: Adam | June 26, 2008 10:51 PM "

Dude, that news is so yesterday.

Arthur got interviewed with SAS and he told SAS that the Wiz performed a blood test on him and everything checked out!!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 26, 2008 10:54 PM

we need to trade

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 10:55 PM

Nothing much left that interests me. Maybe Neitzel or Singletary from the pg's. Or Hardin from Cal

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 10:58 PM

The only possible reason I could see EG taking McGee would be what we have to deal with in our division aka Dwight Howard...

..thats it...Authur and Nick Young would have made a nice inside-outside combo coming in off the bench..

Posted by: Mr. Cadillac | June 26, 2008 10:59 PM

Walker should've stayed in school too.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:01 PM

THis is a horrible trade. I almost had to shiv a guard when I saw this BS...we should have done the Luther Head trade.

Posted by: Prison Balls | June 26, 2008 11:01 PM

maybe we can trade some of this young size we have for cash or something and pick up so free agents. I hopppppeee

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 11:02 PM

Hibbert and Robin Lopez get taken right in front of the Wizards and we end of with Javale McGee. This @#$*#%&@%@#%#@%#@ curse!

Posted by: George Templeton | June 26, 2008 11:02 PM

I hate this crap...the colon shank is comin out tonight...

Posted by: Prison Balls | June 26, 2008 11:13 PM

if u look at successful franchises lately they have been far less conservative then the likes of the wizards. we need to start trading. Look at the celtics, lakers, and now all the talent on portland.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:13 PM

This pick may pan out.

Posted by: IWiz | June 26, 2008 11:17 PM

uh oh i was just hit with a bolt of fear. PLZ NO EURO IN 2nd ROUND!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:18 PM

I would've liked Speights and Hibbert ahead of McGee, but you can't deny the guy's upside. No way any of these players would've gotten much playing time with Haywood and Thomas, assuming no injuries.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 26, 2008 11:22 PM

How is Arthur any more of a gamble than McGee?

Obviously, at that spot it's a a roll of the dice either way.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:23 PM

Ernie Sucks

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:24 PM

Very interesting scouting report on one of his private workouts.

Posted by: Jamie | June 26, 2008 11:25 PM

Bill Walker...seems like a sound pick

Posted by: joNAThan | June 26, 2008 11:26 PM

Drafted Bill Walker

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:26 PM

Great pick on Walker. I think he'll be a solid pro.

Posted by: Andrew | June 26, 2008 11:26 PM

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SENSE IN HERE? YOU CANT PROCLAIM HIM A SUCCESS/BUST BEFORE HE'S EVEN ON THE PLANE TO DC! GIVE THE KID AND THE FRONT OFFICE TIME AND JUDGE IN 5 YEARS. YOU ALL WOULD HAVE HAD JERMAINE O'NEAL RUN OUT OF TOWN LIKE THE PORTLAND FANS DID. HE COULD BE KWAME, BUT DO WE HAVE TO MAKE GUARANTEES SO EARLY?!?! NOW I REMEMBER WHY I DONT GO TO MESSAGE BOARDS.

Posted by: wisdom80 | June 26, 2008 11:28 PM

im down on mcgee but up on skywalker. man bring intensity

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 11:33 PM

Not a draft guru, but I hate this pick. Another tall soft player? Of course the Cavs went for an NBA ready body right after our selection - JJ Hickson. Who do we keep losing to in the playoffs? Isn't muscle a bid reason why?

Perhaps Blatche is on his way out of town?

Posted by: Rob P | June 26, 2008 11:33 PM

So why did you come on a message board and post a message about how much you hate message boards?

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 11:35 PM

And YOU GOT A SCREEN NAME!!! How does somebody that DOESN'T do message boards come up with a screen name?!? FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 11:37 PM

Who do u think is smarter: EG or DCMan?
case close.

Posted by: DCM is a faggle | June 26, 2008 11:38 PM

OK, Wisdom80 now while I agree with you why did you come to the message board?

Walker is a solid pick but was hoping we would select a PG. Guess there's none out there. I hope we are not done, we need to make trades because what we have now wont be enough to get over the hump. Trade bait:

Dsong
Dshaw
Thomas
McBee (we got walker - both are similar IMO)
Pev
Daniel

Posted by: DEMJ | June 26, 2008 11:38 PM

Posted by: Rob P | June 26, 2008 11:33 PM

Yeah, I find the McGee pick intriguing for the Wizards, but after the Cavs picked Hickson that's exactly what I thought.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 26, 2008 11:40 PM

Who would want any of those players? The only players with trade value on our team are Arenas, Jamison, Butler, Haywood, Blatch and Young.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:45 PM

Walker (when healthy) is better than Mcguire. Much better shooter and finisher. I hope a trade is coming soon though. I think if Walker shows us that he's healthy, Blatche becomes expendable. Speaking of Blatche, isn't he gonna be on the Summer Squad? Nick, DMac, SkyWalker, Blatche, Pesh, and Mcgee. whichever pg runs with them is gonna have a field day throwing lobs!

Posted by: C.Bell | June 26, 2008 11:46 PM

yea i think everyone agrees we need to make some moves. AND also another key thing is we need to stop making excuses, yea yea the injuries etc... thats an OLD line. Perhaps we need a new medical staff or need to lessen the extreme playing time of our big 3, problem is with who?? we got alot of rawness. the team as it currently stands isn't that great. just look at how portland did tonight.

Posted by: adubcl | June 26, 2008 11:47 PM

I have to agree that ignoring the point guard position again seems a little odd. I know that Arenas is likely to re-sign and Daniels is the clear backup, but Daniels is a bit injury prone and only has 2 years left on his current deal.

It would be nice to have a young point guard who is actually a point guard; the Wizards really just have a bunch of shooting guards who play point guard because they can (other than Daniels). Having a point guard who can run the offense, play defense, and distribute the ball would be helpful, but who knows.

Posted by: Matt K. | June 26, 2008 11:47 PM

Oh well, they can pick up a decent backup pg from the NBDL if they want, provided they do it before the Euros snap them up.
eg, http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=andre_barrett

Posted by: Quizzical | June 26, 2008 11:52 PM

Apparently the Wizards traded Bill Walker to the Celtics for cash. Fantastic....

Posted by: Matt K. | June 26, 2008 11:53 PM

Its hard to pick up a pg when the one who starts plays all but 2 minutes of a game. Check the numbers. Gil never sits down. And with 2 years left on Daniels, I'm sure Ernie can find something before he goes.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:53 PM

The Wizards make a trade!!

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | June 26, 2008 11:53 PM

Now we can afford the cake! Dumb trade. No Hillary and now no Bill in DC. Sad day.

Posted by: joNAThan | June 26, 2008 11:54 PM

Cash?!? CASH?!?!?!?! CASH!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!!?!?!? i hate being a wizards fan, i really do

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:55 PM

trade a player for cash?? That makes NO sense??

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2008 11:55 PM

It's now guaranteed that Walker will become a perennial all star......

Posted by: Jame | June 26, 2008 11:55 PM

Unbelievable... potential 2nd round steal traded away for cash. Thanks Abe...

Posted by: Incredulous | June 26, 2008 11:58 PM

Well, summer league should be interesting... because I think some of the young Wiz may get quickly sorted out.

If Bill Walker's knee holds up, McGuire will be gone and Pech has to be on the bubble

And thanks for that Draft Express link, Jamie. I read it, looked at McGee, thought about the physical development that is going on and began actually to see the upside that EG may have seen... Think Tyson Chandler with a better shooting touch. Time will tell.

Posted by: khrabb | June 26, 2008 11:58 PM

You're welcome, khrabb. It made me feel a little better about selecting him. I still would've preferred a more developed big man, but maybe this guy will work....it's just gonna take some time.

Posted by: Jamie | June 27, 2008 12:01 AM

I hate this draft......1st round we pick some stiff who would not even come in for a workout?????? With Arthur, Kustof, Batum and Hickson all on the board. Then trade a promising second round pick for cash.....with HArdon and Hendrix still available. Did we not even have enough players for practice at times last year????But we trade our second round pick for nothing. Not to mention we Pobably could have got mcgee 10 picks lower. I nee a valium. Being a wiazard fan sure is a character building experience.
Surfer

Posted by: surfer | June 27, 2008 12:04 AM

huge mistake EG trading Bill Walker for cash
The decisions that EG made in the draft somewhat ****ed up my day

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2008 12:05 AM

You know, if they were gonna sell their 2nd round pick anyway, why not try to buy someone else's and grab Chalmers or one of the other guys who slid?

Posted by: Jamie | June 27, 2008 12:11 AM

Absolutely hate this pick!

I could not believe my eyes and ears when I heard McGee called. Was it a dream or a nightmare? We don't need another big, soft, stiff with a lot of potential. We need someone who can give minutes off the bench.

Hickson, Arthur, D.J.White made more sense. We need muscle PFs, not soft players like Blatche. The only saving grace is he maybe brings defense. He is long.

But geez. The Wizards screw up again! Wow.

Posted by: Hate this pick! | June 27, 2008 12:19 AM

Bill Walker looks like a great pick and then the Wizards trade him away for cash . . . to the @#$*#@$*$#@ CELTICS!!!!! Holy crap Ernie this doesn't look like a great night for you.

Posted by: George Templeton | June 27, 2008 12:28 AM

Posted by: Jamie | June 27, 2008 12:11 AM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 27, 2008 2:20 AM

Looks like we will be one and done again next season. I just don't know what Ernie wants out of this team. If I was Jamison and Arenas, I would be thinking hard about signing with the Wiz right now because I don't see where they did anything to make them more competitive next season. It will be a miracle if Caron stays healthy all season. He hasn't played one full season yet. And because of the way EJ plays his bench, I still don't see big production coming from them either. This sucks!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 27, 2008 7:28 AM

Why does this team seem to think they are right there? They play no defense. It seems to me that Eddie Jordan should be on the hotseat. If they don't reign in Arenas and his antics, they will be one and done. If you look at the teams that went deep into the playoffs, they play DEFENSE and they have leadership on the floor.

Posted by: sicwidit | June 27, 2008 7:48 AM

EG seemed to be blindsided by Philly taking Speights and Indiana selecting Hibbert. It seemed that those two were Plan A and Plan B as evidenced by the fact that the Wizards had never worked out McGee. I know nothing about the kid, so us Wiz fans should give him the benefit of the doubt before we declare him a bad pick.

What I don't understand is picking a guy in the 2nd round who has no true position and was going to be traded for nothing. There had to be some PG's available who could have challenged for a rostor spot as third PG and we could have sent to the D-League like Milwaukee did with Ramon Sessions to see if they could develop. This pick was a total waste and shows that EG had no contingency plans if he didn't get Hibbert (who he admitted they would have considered) or Speights.

Even if the Wiz resign Arenas and Jamison, this team has not improved on draft night and is probably going to be a 6 -8 seed next year who gets knocked out in the 1st round. The only way they can improve is if they do a Sign and Trade involving Arenas that brings multiple players. Milwaukee, Philly, and Toronto all made moves to help their chances; we sat and did nothing.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 27, 2008 9:00 AM

Everyone calm down. EG's body of work as a GM has been very good especially after when looking at it compared to the works of Wes and Bob which left the franchise in shambles.

Everyone was down bigtime on EG big time on JCN and the signing of DStev. Look how that panned out.

Yes, this doesn't look promising on paper since we needed to muscle up and got another skinny young 7 footer and there were other better looking prospects out there but consider this - It's very difficult to project how a player is going to pan out no matter how good they look in HS or college. That's why in drafts across all sports, I feel that assigning a grade right after the draft is a sham. How do you know how they will turn out until they play? Such and such is a great post up player, or has great lateral movement. So what? Let's see it over a season and then grade the draft.

Posted by: jjames | June 27, 2008 9:45 AM

now, in hindsight, i wish ernie had traded out of that spot. it was a TERRIBLE pick. even if that is who they truly wanted there is a good chance he would have been there at 25. i had high hopes for this draft, and am hugely dissappointed. maybe mcgee pans out ... but i don't like the chances. there were 3 or 4 other guys still on the board i would have much rather had ... but hey, i'm just a fan.

we have so many lame bigs its almost funny.

i am starting to really dislike this roster ... blatche, pech, mcgee ... bums. stevenson and songaila have too prominent a role. thomas is a huge question mark, daniels is getting old. and they are about to overpay a no D playing, ballhogging PG coming off two knee injuries. they needed to get tougher and more athletic and did neither. oh well.

Posted by: pepcoenergy3 | June 27, 2008 9:47 AM

Why did we lose against Cleveland. Second chances baskets. This guy is apparently prone to playing his ACTUAL position. A TRUE CENTER. Not Pecherov floating to the perimeter for a 3. He will most likely take Pech's spot in my opinion. Read Wilbon's article. He will stay in the paint for REBOUNDS!!!! We have plenty of forwards. Plus, the cash considerations for the number two pick maybe for Roger Mason. Damn, everyone is freaking out over something that most of us know squat about. EG hasn't messed up too much, except Pecherov.

GO WIZARDS!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | June 27, 2008 9:52 AM

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 27, 2008 9:00 AM

i agree and your assessment may even be a little generous. they'll be a borderline playoff team at best next season. Miami will bounce back, and Chicago has too much talent not to bounce back. Philly, Orlando, Atlanta (playoff teams last year) are all moving in the right direction. The Wiz are standing pat, which (in my opinion) equates to a taking a step back.

Posted by: pepcoenergy3 | June 27, 2008 10:12 AM

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 27, 2008 9:00 AM

Posted by: pepcoenergy3 | June 27, 2008 10:12 AM

Lose the tude, DC fag88

Posted by: prescrunk | June 27, 2008 10:37 AM

"Lose the tude, DC fag88

Posted by: prescrunk | June 27, 2008 10:37 AM "

prec#m spews early again...musta saw a picture of Gilby in his grotto

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 27, 2008 11:22 AM

i seen dc fag88 get his salad tossed by JeBron in the back of his eastern motors honda. was ur [bl0\/\/]job ur credit?

Posted by: prescrunk | June 27, 2008 11:58 AM

ftw

Posted by: prescrunk | June 27, 2008 12:01 PM

I saw him play against my Aggies in the Spectrum last year... really his only good quality is. He had a ton of goal tending calls as well. His footwork, motivation, and overall basketball intelligence left a lot to be desired. And he was nowhere near one of the better players on the court. He's an okay role player in maybe 3 years.

Posted by: Justin | June 27, 2008 9:54 PM