Jamison officially signs, Arenas next

I was just on the phone with Antawn Jamison, who not long ago signed a four-year contract extension that will pay him $50 million.

"It just came down to the fact that I felt comfortable here and Mr. Pollin expressed that he was going to re-sign me and we were able to negotiate a good deal," Jamison said. "When you have both parties willing to compromise, you can get something done."

Added Antawn: "The way it looks now, I'll be ending my career with the Wizards and that's great."

Jamison said the negotiations went smoothly for the most part and while he wasn't too detailed about the specifics of the deal, my sources tell me that it is structured so that his first year cap number is less than $10 million.

That should help as Ernie Grunfeld now turns his attention to Gilbert Arenas, who can be negotiated with at 12:01 tonight/tomorrow morning. According to my sources, the Wizards are going to be aggressive and Ernie said today after the press conference for JaVale McGee that he is going to have contact with Arenas tonight.

The key question is: How much is it going to take?

By Ivan Carter  |  June 30, 2008; 6:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jamison close, could be done tonight
Next: Wiz offer Arenas the max but he may take less

Comments

Alright, as Ivan said "now onto Gilbert."

Posted by: Adam | June 30, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Great!

Posted by: Andy S | June 30, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

it would really be stupid of us to spent a ton of money on Gilbert. If we can get him for half of what he wants that would be ok, but we really should forget about gil (unless we plan on doing a sign and trade) and go after Emeka Okafor or Elton Brand, and a quaility backup pg. Daniels is good to start this year and our main problem is that we're lacking a big man. I say forget Arenas.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

God bless

Posted by: rfzonadc | June 30, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

God bless

Posted by: rfzonadc | June 30, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Hahah rise...

Posted by: Hammerwolf | June 30, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

DCMan88 drinks his own pee.

Posted by: Tay Biltong | June 30, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ernie is ruining the team for years to come. If he signs Arenas to a mega deal 6 years over 100 mil it will end with EG and EJ getting fired within the next year or 2.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

If that number is accurate, I'm a bit surprised. $15 mill/yr is more than I would have expected, certainly more than anyone else could have or would have paid. I understand a franchise wanting to reward a player who played such a key role in turning things around, but giving a player that age a deal like that can turn around and bite them in a team in the ass. That's why the Pistons let Ben Wallace walk, and they've been proven correct in doing so. Hopefully, the Wiz won't find themselves in the same position with Jamison in a couple of years.

Posted by: kalorama | June 30, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Super!

Posted by: Hugh Gerection | June 30, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

"If we can get him for half of what he wants that would be ok, but we really should forget about gil (unless we plan on doing a sign and trade) and go after Emeka Okafor or Elton Brand, and a quaility backup pg."

And, again, having now signed Jamison the Wiz don't have the money to acquire any of those players, even if they don't re-sign Arenas.

Posted by: kalorama | June 30, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

@Kalorama

$50M divided by 4 = $12.5M every time I do. But I agree with you in principle, not really with the salary but 4 years and not 3.

Posted by: JSchon | June 30, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Great - Tawn is the captain. He's also great for this team and city.

Posted by: washingtonian | June 30, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Tay Biltong's mom drinks her cat's pee.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

well I already renewed my season tickets. We'll see what happens!!!

Posted by: highlyed | June 30, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The deal with Jamison actually averages to $12.5 million a year, apparently starting at less than $10 million the first year.

Jamison was making around $16.5 million last year.

Posted by: Tim | June 30, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Something doesn't add up. It is impossible for Jamison to earn a 4-year $50M contract with his first year paying him less than $10M. A 4-year contract starting at $9.9M with maximum raises amounts to a total $45.8M overall.

Another DC area paper reported that Jamison signed a 4-year contract worth $44M. If true, that's equivalent to a first year of $9.5M with maximum raises.

Posted by: nate33 | June 30, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Since Jamison will apparently be around until he is 36, we'll probably get to see (eventually) what many bloggers have suggested: Jamison coming off the bench.

Posted by: Tim | June 30, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

As long as they make the money work and it doesn't prevent them from signing other players, I like the deal. Nice to see a genuinely quality guy like Antawn rewarded. Yeah I know his previous deal was a good one but still it's nice to see the good guys not finishing last.

Posted by: Bart | June 30, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate, is RealGM crashed for you too?

Posted by: fisher | June 30, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah fish, RealGM is toast tonight.

Posted by: doclinkin | June 30, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

The AP and ESPN along with the WaPost have it at 4 years and $50mil.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh look, it's a party.

Nate, good look on the numbers discrepancy. Isaac, we expect you to get to the bottom of this.

Also, Ivan, can you confirm that all four years are guaranteed, or is there any team/player option in year 4?

Posted by: fisher | June 30, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

The clock is now running for the Wiz to win a ring in the next 3 years. Year 4, Antwans contract is just going to be trade bait anyway.

My fantasy world, here is what I do:

1) Blatche, AD, Etan and a number one for Vince Carter.

2) Resign Gil for 80 Mil (he said he would take less money if we would contend)

3) Whatever money we have left over we spend on winners like Robert Horry, Sam Cassell and Juan Dixon for old times sake

4) Nickname the starting five of Arenas, VC, Butler, AJ and BTH "The Pentagon" Nick Young, D-Steve and D-Mac thrive off the bench

5) Win the rings in 2009, 2010, 2011

6) 2012 we trade jameson's expiring contract and other junk for David West

7) Keep winning till we have no reason to even talk on these blogs anymore

Now... Back to reality

Posted by: ATLwizFAN | June 30, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Once again I'm really interested in how this deal is structured. As nate said, if the first year is indeed less than $10 million, is the entire deal really $50 million?

Anyway glad to see that this is official, despite his problems he's a consistent player, and hopefully he's good for long enough until Blatche is ready to take over, and Jamison can be a supersub 6th man in his final years, or at least a tradeable commodity.

btw realgm was ready for draft, but not FA period :'(

Posted by: Halcyon | June 30, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

glad to see he singed, lets get arenas back now.

Posted by: Johansen | June 30, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, ComcastSportsNet reported 4 years 44-50 Million range. They did not say it was 50.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I like the deal, but after signing Gil. I don't see how we can get a quality big man?
There have been concrete evidence that the wizards need another big man, becuase for the past three years Cleveland have out big the Wizards in the playoff. If we don't somehow get another big man, I don't see the wiz going deep into the playoff...

Posted by: kevin | June 30, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

The numbers don't seem to add up if Antawn starts under $10M. I'd love to see how the contract is structured....edit, oh, I see that my e-friend Nate already said this. Sorry.

(Nate/fishercob - I've emailed admins @ the server crash....they're working it now...as of 8:05 pm)

Posted by: Pine | June 30, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to see him officially re-sign, since the 76ers were going to offer almost that much to him.
Gilbert said Jamison had to be signed first and now he is.
In less than 4 hours, negotiations with Gilbert can begin.

Posted by: Jeremy Bauserman | June 30, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Pine, loved the Syd the kid pics today. She's gorgeous.

Posted by: fisher | June 30, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

i cant believe they got him so cheap. crazy.

these guys are rite too: http://thesportcount.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/antawn-stays-put/

means they can resign gilbert easly

Posted by: antawnfreak | June 30, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

My bad. I was skimming Ivan's entry at work while doing something else and thought it said $60 mill. $12.5 per year over 4 years is still a little more than I expected, but not outrageous. A four-year deal is about as expected. Odds are Jamison will be traded the summer prior to the 4th year or sometime during it.

Posted by: kalorama | June 30, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

YEAH ITS GOOD TO BE A WIZARDS FAN...WE GONNA SIGNED THESE TWO GUYS WITH LOTS OF MONEY AND WE R GONNA BE THE SAME TEAM AGAIN AND STILL CAN NOT GET PAST DEEP INTO THE PLAYOFF...THIS SUCK SO BAD!!

Posted by: ak47 | June 30, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Some of you all are funny. How is 12 million a year a little much for a team captain, all-star and double double machine?

Posted by: bryan | June 30, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

btw i would rather take 3 years and given him more money instead of stucking with him for 4 years and we end up couldn't trade him in the future cause he's too old and overpaid..

Posted by: ak47 | June 30, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

and remember we had a chance to get elton brand for our 1st pick in 2001 (in which we took kwame brown). we reject the trade from chicago...we could have been soo much better with trade but its a long time ago

Posted by: ak47 | June 30, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

We really only lost to the Cavs with one team at full strength. We have played them well, even though we have had injuries to our top 3 players, for the past 2 years. We need to keep our core, add role players through free agency and let our young guys develop (except pecherov, he sucks).

Posted by: bryan | June 30, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

YEAH PECH NEED TO GO!! OR BECOME A MASCOT FOR THE WIZ

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"That's why the Pistons let Ben Wallace walk, and they've been proven correct in doing so"

...granted their an elite team, but they havent won a championship since

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the numbers that Ivan is reporting. How can the first year's salary be less than $10 Mil, but the 4 year total is $50 Mil? That is does not match-up with a 10.5% of the first year increase.

Year 1: $9,999,999
Year 2: $11,049,999
Year 3: $12,099,999
Year 4: $13,149,999

TOTAL: $46,299,995

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 30, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

My mistake. I now realize that others caught the money issue, earlier. I guess I should ask my Tar Heel friends if they are taught to round 46 up to 50 at Chapel Hill.

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 30, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Ok I'm starting to like this McGee kid! Sorry I overreacted at 1st. Just saw the comcast very brief interview where he said he's "a basketball gumbo, a little bit of everything". Kid looks real tall, seems to carry himself well, and has a good attitude.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the summer league!

Posted by: Darnell | June 30, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

It's great that the Wiz resigned AJ. After resigning Gilby, the team has pretty much maintained status quo, with the exception of probably losing Mason.

The question now is how this status quo team matches up with the competition. Did or will other teams improve their roster from last season?

Remains to be seen, but the Wiz hands are clearly tied now with few players that other teams want, so a trade is unlikely.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Adam | June 30, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Year 1: $9,999,999
Year 2: $11,049,999
Year 3: $12,099,999
Year 4: $13,149,999

TOTAL: $46,299,995

Posted by: SportzWiz | June 30, 2008 9:30 PM

THATS WHY HAVING AN EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, NOW GO BACK TO SCHOOL!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This is a great group of players, and a great team. If only they could stay healthy...

Posted by: david56 | June 30, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Ernie reconsiders and we do a sign and trade for the recently opted-out Brand?

Posted by: Larry | June 30, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Part 1 of the inevitable is done. Part 2 tomorrow. We'll finally be able to put this to rest and start talking about lineups and sub patterns. As Tim pointed out, some of us (me especially now for 2 years) have been hoping to bench AJ for a while now and it'll happen eventually. Let's hope it doesn't take 3 years. He's still someone we want in the game at the end of the games on offense. I'd just rather have AB (or someone that height and length) in there for the defense.

Posted by: mark | June 30, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I love AJ being part of this very young team. I would prefer him being the sixthman, but however they play him is acceptable. HOWEVER, I have a sneaking suspicion this deal will be regreted soon, especially if Arenas is signed for a god awful amount of money.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm just a bitter Bobcats fan that wanted to snag AJ for the home team, but I have to congratulate the Wiz for getting a good deal with Jamison. His style of play should allow him to be effective over the duration of his new deal.

But, I'll also have to say that I feel sorry for all the Wiz fans if Ernie drops $100M+ for Arenas over the next 6 years. Never bid against yourself. And, there is no other team that is interested in (or, for that matter, is able to) offering Arenas huge $. Barring a trade of Butler (which would be stupid), a contract this large would pretty much put the lock on the Wiz for the next few years. And, I don't think there's anyone on this board that can say the Wiz will get past the Celtics with their current roster, with or without injuries.

I would give Arenas $45M for 3 years or $80M for 6 years. This gives him a raise but doesn't break the bank. It's decisions like these that separate the Joe Dumars' of the league from the Otis Smith's.

Posted by: Cats_Fan | June 30, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

nads

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree that we should let the market work in our favor in resigning Gil. If no one is ready to cough up 15mil a year, then why should we? Good faith and all is fine, but we don't know if he will ever return to 100%. The $80mil for 6 years sounds better than $100mil and helps us resign Mason (& save Gil some wear-n-tear over the years).

Posted by: Derek | June 30, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"I'm calling it now: Arenas comes out tomorrow/tonight and says "they offered me $100 or the max and I said 'I only want 80'". That would go down as one of the coolest,smoothest moves in history.

Posted by: Adam | June 30, 2008 9:42 PM "

And if he doesn't, could you do me a favor and go drink some clorox?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

ELTON BRAND AND BARON DAVIS HAVE JUST OPT OUT!!!!! THATS MEAN INSTEAD OF SIGNING JAMISON WE CAN SIGN BRAND!...BUT ITS TOO LATE

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

"granted their an elite team, but they havent won a championship since"

They also hadn't won one in the two years before he left.

Posted by: kalorma | June 30, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Are we gonna be able to resign Caron now? With this contract on the books, I don't see how without going WAY over the lux tax.

We're screwed two years from now.

Also, quote from AJ:

Kind of a double standard from AJ...

Posted by: Don't do it Abe | June 30, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: | June 30, 2008 10:39 PM "

LMAO!

It's called, once again, the Curse of Les Boulez(S).

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

""He said he'd take less money if they got me, and they got me," Jamison said. "So I think everything will get worked out with Gilbert."

Kind of a double standard from AJ...

Posted by: Don't do it Abe | June 30, 2008 10:41 PM "

LMAO!

AJ mouths only after he gets his money.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Derek | June 30, 2008 10:30 PM "

LMAO!

It was be totally fiscally irresponsible for EG to overestimate the market and spend more of Abe's money than he needs to.

If Gilby leaves before inking a contract and comes back in two weeks, it would be hilarious because it would be highly likely that any team that could have afforded Gilby can't anymore.

I can't see EG sitting with his thumb up his @ss and the Wiz franchise held hostage for 2 weeks if Gilby leaves without a contract.

My gut tells me that there's already a deal that's been agreed upon before allowed.

David Stern should investigate, decide that there was an under the table agreement, and then fine/penalize the Wiz and nullify the Gilby deal.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

EG should listen to JA Adande on PTI today...makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm figuring EG will offer Gilby 6 years and $115 mil, and Gilby signs.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have antawn jameson than elton brand.

Baron Davis basically just drove down demand for Gilbert Arenas, where there was not too much demand to begin.

Ernie, if you are listening, I offer you the words of Eminem "Be Smart, Don't Be a Retard"

Posted by: ATLwizFAN | June 30, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob | June 30, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"Village Idiot 88 you must have one HUGE ass - since you are continually laughing it off - but still have one to laugh with. Of course, that should surprise no one on this blog.

Posted by: | June 30, 2008 11:07 PM "

Not as big as the one your dad eats out of every night...

BTW, Lisa is a dumb c#nt.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Caron becomes a free agent at the same time Etan does, right? If that's the case, we'll have plenty to resign Caron. And by that time we'll know definitively whethere the Jamison/Butler/Arenas combo works.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BBBB | June 30, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"I think it makes more sense to offer GA a four year deal. If he balks then let him stew for 2 weeks. It seems that the Clipps will be the only serious contenders for GA. And if you had your choice of EB or GA at this point, who would you chose? Then again if GA walks, what is plan B Ernie?

Posted by: oddjob | June 30, 2008 11:20 PM "

Whatever Plan B is, it can't be as worse than Plan A because the Wiz made the playoffs last season without Gilby.

Posted by: DC Man898 | June 30, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

"I think a contract at 99,999,999 A peny short of 100 million would be a huge statement and would be very Gilbert

Posted by: BBBB | June 30, 2008 11:23 PM "

Which means absolutely nothing, but nothing is just enough to get all Gilby lovers in a fever.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

The question is, out of the 15 Eastern Conf teams, what do we need to do to be in the top 4.

So far, major moves for Milwaukee taking Richard J.& Alexander from WVA shoes them in, Atlanta surged at the end to give Boston a better series than we gave Cleveland, Indiana got better, Chicago got Rose and should be more stable this time around, Miami got Beasley, etc.,

We have to beat Boston (which we did), Detroit (which we can), and Orlando (which we have to prove we can do), & Cleveland (yet to prove). I'm liking Gary Forbes, the Atlantic 10 player of the year playing for our summer league team though.

Check the list and make your bets;
Atlantic

. Charlotte Bobcats
. Miami Heat
. Orlando Magic
. Washington Wizards

Posted by: Derek | June 30, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nate33 | June 30, 2008 7:21 PM

I was confused too... but I read the CBA and it says that for Contract Extensions, raises can be 10.5% of the salary in the last season of the contract being extended.

Jamison made $16.3 Million his last year. That would mean $1.71 Million raises each year...

If the starting salary is roughly $9.9 Million, then:

Year 1 $9,900,000
Year 2 $11,617,810
Year 3 $13,335,620
Year 4 $15,053,430

TOTAL $49,906,859

Voila - there you go....

Posted by: Rook | June 30, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert doesn't have to sign a long term contract this year. If the Wiz offer anything less than 100m he can just sign a one year contract with someone else and wait for next summer, when more teams will have cap room. Now that would be very Gilbert.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

With Baron Davis now on the market we can save a LOT of money. I wouls strongly consider giving Baron deal before offering Gilby that 100 mil. Baron 6 years 80 mil, sounds just about right. Plus Baron played in all 82 games last season. While, averageing 21.8 points, 4.7 rebounds, 7.6 assists (wow), and 2.8 steals (imagine him and Caron = 6+ syeals a night between the both of them)

Baron/AD/Roger
Stevenson/Young/Roger
Caron/Dominic
Jamison/Blatche/Pech
Haywood/Etan/McGee

If you look at what Baron does he fills up the stat sheet.

Wizards:

w/ Gilby -- A better team, but not all that better. We made it to the same stageof the playoffs with or with out him.

w/ Baron -- I think we can be better with Baron. He plays DEFENSE, can score about as much as Gil, and he can pass better than Gil, oh and rebound better too, oh and DUNK over guys like AK47 to name one of the many.

Posted by: Fulvio aka Wiz-skins07 | June 30, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would Arenas not sign a long term contract right now? What if he gets hurt again if he signed a one-year deal or something? That would be very stupid.

Posted by: Matt K. | June 30, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Baron = Leader of team
Gilby = Leader of Gilby

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Baron Davis wants to play for the Knicks...shocking but true.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Dc Mann88
-------------

Damn right, I think we should offer Gil 6 years 90 mil. If he doesnt take it let him walk and sign the much cheaper and better Baron Davis. Heck, im not sure we should even offer him 90 mil he said he would take a pay cut if we got Antawn.

Posted by: Fulvio aka Wiz-skins07 | June 30, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matt K. | June 30, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Who said Baon wanted to play for the Knicks, if its a ru mor it most liekly not true. Its very unlikely.

Posted by: Fulvio aka Wiz-skins07 | June 30, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"Because he's quirky and prideful. If the Wiz lowball him I wouldn't put it past him to sign a 1 or 2 year contract, make it his mission to tear up the league and then go for max once that contract is over.

Posted by: | June 30, 2008 11:47 PM "

What's tearing up the league?

Take 25 shots/game, get on a few highlight reels, but his team goes nowhere in the playoffs again?

People keep forgetting that he opted out in order to get a long term deal for security. Him signing a short term deal is about as unlikely as him marrying Laura Govan.

If he wanted to play 1-2 more years and prove himself, he wouldn't have opted out, but instead, played his contract out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

"Baron Davis is the leader of lots of teams that underachieve and don't win as much as they should. I guess they're both the same in that respect.

Posted by: Matt K. | June 30, 2008 11:45 PM "

The guy you pay max money on your team is who you wan to be the leader, whether the TEAM wins or loses. It's not the guy who wants nothing to do with leadership, marches to be beat of his owner drummer, and is a total distraction to the team.

The team did well last year without Gilby...made it to the playoffs.

Nobody can say that Baron's team did just as well when he was out injured.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

"Fulvio aka DCMan(excuse me, I meant DCChild)- Stephen A.Smith just reported on ESPN that Baron Davis would LOVE to play for the Knicks and that Brand is hoping to resign (for big $$$) with the Clippers.

Posted by: | June 30, 2008 11:53 PM "

Yeah, and Lisa played for the Jeane Palfrey (DC Madam) team, and was still on food stamps...can't even make a living as a ho.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 30, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

"And, I don't think there's anyone on this board that can say the Wiz will get past the Celtics with their current roster, with or without injuries."

I'll bite.

Posted by: Chris | June 30, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

If it doesn't, you're saying we get stuck with two big contracts and give up the most important of the three?

Better hope it works and that Leonsis is running the team.

Posted by: Don't do it Abe | June 30, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

"If it works, we'll have no money left over to sign anyone other than the big three.

Better hope it works and that Leonsis is running the team.

Posted by: Don't do it Abe | June 30, 2008 11:57 PM "

And, of course, BTH will come due soon and he'll get more than his paltry 5 mil/year. NY is the future SG on this team....he will get paid too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

"After all, it was the highlight of the season that we went 3-1 against them, beating them back to back, with injuries.

Posted by: Chris | June 30, 2008 11:57 PM "

And, that means just as much or less than when the Skins beat B'more the year they won the Superbowl.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Free-Agnecy has officially now started.

Posted by: Fulvio aka Wiz-skins07 | July 1, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

The key question is not how much it will cost -- it's when will Ivan update the blog already!

Posted by: Adam | July 1, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:04 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

BEEP! BEEP!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

"You're that guy who thought Golden State wouldn't knock the Mavs out of the Playoffs

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 12:15 AM "

Really? Prove it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Man, there is a lot of ignorance on this board! You guys need to hang out at RealGM for a while to figure out how the cap works.

First of all, there was never an option to sign Brand instead of Jamison. We don't have the cap space unless we renounce BOTH Arenas and Jamison. And once we did, we would lose Bird Rights to resign them.

We can't sign Baron Davis instead of Arenas for the same reason. After having signed Jamison, we would be only 5.8M below the cap if we renounced Arenas.

Also, Caron is not a free agent the same year Etan is. Caron is locked up until the summer of 2011. Etan, AD and Haywood's contracts expire in 2010.

Finally, Baron Davis is not going to play for the Knicks unless he plans on taking a $12M paycut to do so. The Knicks have no cap space and not enough tradeable assets to work a sign-and-trade with Golden State.

Posted by: nate33 | July 1, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

i wizards play better without arenas, let him walk

Posted by: hensmith | July 1, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Really? Prove it.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:21 AM

There is no way the Mavs will lose to the Warriors!

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 1, 2007 12:21 AM

Posted by: Holmes | July 1, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Arenas is a great talent, and has meant alot to this franchise. There is no disputing that. But the last two years have clearly proven that they are probably a little better, but clearly no worse, without him. They have pressing needs that could potentially be addressed by trading him if the appropriate deal is out there. By overvaluing him to the extent that they have, and offering him this megacontract, the Wiz are conceding to mediocrity for years to come. I fear that one of the reasons for this could be that they are more concerned with marketing than winning. What a shame.

On a related topic, take a look at Portland's draft. they seem to be building a team with the type of imagination, guile, and smarts that seem to be lacking here. Though obviously we are talking about a different franchise in a different situation, look at this (courtesy of Yahoo):

PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS

Picks: Traded Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts and rights to Brandon Rush (No. 13) to Indiana for Ike Diogu and rights to Jerryd Bayless (No. 11); traded rights to Darrell Arthur (No. 27) and Joey Dorsey (No. 33) to Houston for rights to Nicolas Batum (No. 25); traded rights to Omer Asik (No. 36) to Chicago for three future second-round picks; traded rights to Mike Taylor (No. 55) to L.A. Clippers for 2009 second-round pick.

Kevin Pritchard and his terrific staff continue to run circles around every other front office in the NBA, going out and securing the top players on their draft board, at their biggest needs, while continuing to stock up on picks for the future.

Portland's staff identified Jerryd Bayless as the best fit for their roster very early on in the season and they were confident and aggressive enough (as usual) to go out and get him.

It makes perfect sense, of course, as Bayless' biggest weakness (the fact that he's not a true point guard) actually becomes a strength playing alongside Brandon Roy (who will do the majority of the ball handling), letting Bayless focus on what he does best: making shots and creating for himself and in turn for others. Bayless will defend point guards while Roy will handle the shooting guards and the two will just cross on offense. The Blazers had him ranked as the fourth-best player in this draft - as did we - and being able to nab him with the 13th pick and Jarrett Jack was a huge coup.
(End of writer's analysis)

Back to my own thoughts, I would be happy to hear any intelligent responses from people who see this differently than I do. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Posted by: Steve | July 1, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

"There is no way the Mavs will lose to the Warriors!

Posted by: DC Man88 | May 1, 2007 12:21 AM

Posted by: Holmes | July 1, 2008 12:36 AM "

Sorry DC Man88, I made that up. It's easy when this blog doesn't require registration.

Posted by: Holmes | July 1, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Come on....nothing's happening?

Posted by: Adam | July 1, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, has a deal been made?? I'm waiting up to find out!

Posted by: Darnell | July 1, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Paging Ivan Carter, paging Ivan Carter. This either means Ivan is asleep or the Wiz are still negotiating with Gil. I really want this wrapped up before 9 am so we don't have to worry about him not staying or have to listen to all these dumb trade proposals.

Posted by: Adam | July 1, 2008 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Anything yet?!?!

Posted by: Darnell | July 1, 2008 1:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to bed!!!

Posted by: Darnell | July 1, 2008 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve | July 1, 2008 12:36 AM

If portland is so wise with their use of draft picks, why do they return to the lottery every year?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 2:12 AM

Come on now, Oden was injured all of last season.

I'm giving it til 3 am, then I'm out like Darnell.....I really thought this would've been wrapped up quickly.

Posted by: Adam | July 1, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Steve suggests:

>>>
"Arenas is a great talent, and has meant alot to this franchise. There is no disputing that. But the last two years have clearly proven that they are probably a little better, but clearly no worse, without him. They have pressing needs that could potentially be addressed by trading him if the appropriate deal is out there" >>>

Actually no. With Gilbert playing at his best and the team healthy the Wiz have shown they can lead the East.

And +/- figures have shown that, when healthy, the team is 10 or more points better with him than without him.

The difference this year, what kept the team afloat without him is attributed entirely to Gilbert's absence instead of correctly ID'ing other reasons for team success:

--We played a true 7 footer at center for the majority of minutes.

--Caron discovered a three point shot. (Thanks Dave Hopla)

--Haywood built a free throw shot. (Thanks Dave Hopla)

--We finally returned all our (other) starters and a key roleplayer from the year before (Mason).

--The roleplayer discovered his outside shot (Thanks Dave Hopla).

--We added a Defensive coach on the sidelines to play Bad Cop/Drill Sergeant to Eddie's motivational leader/Good cop routine. (Credit Randy Ayers)

--Until injuries and fatigue accumulated we had an improved defensive scheme. (Credit Randy Ayers).

(Early in depth tracking showed Gilbert was actually defending better than Daniels. Even on one leg. His problem at the time was he couldn't hit a shot).

--Better talent on the bench added depth, even if it was more raw enthusiasm than veteran leadership:

-> Nick Young actually hit shots; in minutes that would have gone to Jarvis Hayes in the past.

-> Dominic McGuire took the 'rebounding, but no offense' role that used to be handled by Mike Ruffin.Actually won us a game vs Toronto with his prolific boardsmanship. Contrast with Ruffin vs Toronto, and you'd conclude that the team isn't better off with the vet than with the raw but improving rookie, it's 'not possible'.

These rookies proved necessary when attrition forced them to play significant roles and heavier minutes.

Even the worst of the lot (Pech shackled by injury) gave us the option of a young goofy-looking seven footer with a outside shot that always missed; instead of an old goofy-looking seven footer with an outside shot that always missed (Calvin Booth).

-- Add to the young core the continued improvement of our prodigal forward Bulletproof Andray Blatche, who is clearly a slow-learner when it comes to off-court issues but who performed well at back-up center in the absence of Etan. And who
stepped up and filled in nicely when Caron went down with injuries.

Point being, it's understood that Wiz fans have been kicked in the head by fate so many times that our short term memory suffers; and understood we tend to check every silver lining for the cloud that comes attached -- but no:

We're not better without Gilbert. And there's no 'pressing need' to address, no deal possible that brings us back more than a guy the scouts say is the hardest player in the league to guard on nights when he is on.

Gilbert's absence was not the only x-factor at work here. You might as easily attribute our success entirely to Etan being gone for the year.

(You could probably make a stronger case for that looking at Brendan's improved play and the +/- figures of the past half decade that say Brendan has been the 2nd most important player on the team, and the most important defender by a long yard)

But instead it would make more sense to take a look at the team improvement this year and look forward to a time when we _didn't_ have only 9 healthy bodies on the roster.

And imagine our success when we return all our players healthy (cross fingers, knock wood-- pray, get on your knees and pray for them, friends) for the second year in an improved defensive scheme, with a notch more experience for the ex-rookies, and adding to this year's success a 29 ppg allstar with a chip on his shoulder who has been told all year that Chris Paul is better than him and that he can't pass nor lead a team.

We're better with Gilbert.

As long as he's healthy.

-doc.

Posted by: doclinkin | July 1, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

But yeah Portland has put it all together. Nice to have a billionaire in the pocket to straight-out purchase draft picks, but still you don't get to be a billionaire by being stupid. They're playing a different game than the rest of the league in that front office.

Posted by: doclinkin | July 1, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Anybody who thinks Baron Davis is cheaper than Gilbert Arenas seriously needs to take a look at the maximum salary table. Davis is TWO years older than Arenas, and also became an NBA player TWO years ahead of Arenas. He also made more money last year than Arenas did $16.4M. The only reason that the media gives for Davis opting out is so that he can make more money.

Anybody who thinks Davis plays good defense you're dreaming!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris | June 30, 2008 11:57 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:04 AM

Wow. you really are the most negative person on the board. we should all pitch in and pay for your moving expenses to cleveland just so we don't have to listen to you anymore.

It means plenty more, if only because it was consistent. You can't call three games in a row, two back to back in a home and home series a fluke. And it means that even though we were a few pieces shy of beating cleveland, we had the pieces we needed to beat boston, which means we were only a few pieces shy of the eastern championship. call me whatever names you want, but i think it's much more fun being a hopeful fan that believes their team can make it than a pessimistic fan who just complains all the time.

And thanks to doc for making a great argument on why this team will be better with a healthy arenas.

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Jamison is a seriously good energy player who puts up numbers. Incredibly glad that he will be here for hopefully the rest of his career - what a class act in a world of clowns and "Marvin" Brandos...

Posted by: HarleyEqLoser | July 1, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse