Thursday's workouts

Today, the Wizards worked out forward Deron Washington (Virginia Tech), guard Sundiata Gaines (Georgia), guard-forward Danny Green (North Carolina), forward Taj McCullough (Winthrop), guard Darris Nichols (West Virginia) and guard-forward Robert Vaden (Alabama-Birmingham).
Green, who is an early entry candidate who has not signed with an agent, says he is "50-50" on whether he's staying in or going back to Chapel Hill.

Tomorrow, the team is hosting three prospects: forwards Robert Dozier (Memphis), Josh Duncan (Xavier) and Luc Louves (France). None are projected as first round picks.

In other news, the Las Vegas Summer League schedule is out. It runs from July 11-20 on the campus of UNLV. The Wiz play July 14, 16, 18, 19 and 20th. As I've stated before, if you are a basketball nut who also likes Vegas (and who doesn't?) this is a dream vacation. Do it. Trust me.It's cheap, you can get very close to good hoop and it's Vegas. I'll have a cold one or five with any reader of this blog who shows up. (Even you DCman88 but no, you can't crash in my room.)

By Ivan Carter  |  June 11, 2008; 5:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday's workout prospects
Next: Slim pickings

Comments

Hey Ivan, thanks for these updates.

Can you write a piece on the state of NBA officiating given the latest news from Donaghy? A lot of us have been crying about the poor and biased officiating for a long time. Now we may have some proof!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

So many scrubs, so little time.

Posted by: WHY! | June 11, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am compelled to post once again about drafting Roy Hibbert. Are we going to work him out!? We probably don't need to though considering he played his entire college career at Verizon, I'm sure The Wizards brass has seen plenty of him.

Hibbert is a low post scorer, with size that is difficult to defend, and excellent passing ability.

What that does for us is gives us a big target down low, who when he gets it has a variety of low post moves and is virtually automatic, and almost impossible to stop one on one in the paint.

When the defense collapses on him, he is very adept at passing out of double teams. That will lead to wide open shots for Gil, Antawn, Caron, NY, and Stevenson.

His size, skill, low post scoring, passing, rebounding, BBall IQ, maturity, experience (in the Princeton), and NBA readiness make him too good to pass up at 18 IMO.

2nd round I really like Pat Cathales, a 6-10 SF/point forward with excellent court vision and passing.

Both Hibbert and Cathales are excellent passers and unselfish team players. The Wizards are at their best when they play unselfish, move the ball, and have a high number of team assists. These two guys fit that mold.

I do also like Chalmers alot in the 2nd round as a backup pg if he is still there which I doubt, and Cathales most likely will be gone by then as well.

I'd love to take pg Sean Singletary in the 2nd round (if Cathales and Chalmers are gone), or sign him for summer league if he goes undrafted and we do get Cathales in the 2nd.

Posted by: Darnell | June 11, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been reading the comments but I did immediately think of Ivan when I saw those GMC commercials

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, you're too funny.

I haven't seen the GMC commercial, but I will say this. Ivan, I thought you were a big time college football beast?!?!

I saw you on Washington Post Live on Comcast a few weeks ago next to Mike "The Caveman" Sellers and you looked like you had shrunk. Is he that big?

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

"Ivan you're too funny."

"You were a beast in college."

"Did you shrink or is he that big."

C'mon man, he put one post up with your name and you're on jock lol.

You shouldn't even go to Vegas cause you're not even a fan DCMann. If it was up to you everybody on the team would be gone.

I may come thru that week it would be a good trip to make. I'll drink a couple beers wit you, the tru fans, and the haters.

SWADAGGER!!!

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | June 11, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Never let up Ivan, NEVER LET UP!!!!

Posted by: MDBaller1 | June 11, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Man, I would kill to get work off during that time. I would love to see some summer league games, that would be a blast.

Ivan, drink a few for me, and you better come back with some good stories......NBA, and non-NBA.

Posted by: Steven | June 11, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Wayne from Bowie finally shows up on the scene after a long hiatus. Must have crawled out from under his bed because he feels safer since Keith Washington got locked up.

Be careful about 14-15 year old kids wanting to kick your head in though for a pack of Marlboros and your shoes.

BTW, don't swing by Unos at Largo for some cold ones. Bad things can happen.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 11, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, you look just like that dude. No offense, but the other day I was wathcing that commercial with some boys and I was like "That dude looks like Ivan Carter" and they were like "Who?"

Posted by: Soup's Uncle | June 11, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

HAHA, that does look like Ivan. I thought the same thing when I saw it. Anyway back to draft talk...who would like the idea of trading our 18th to like portland or Minnesota for their two early 2nd rounders.
Maybe Ty Lawson falls or Chalmers or just get Hudson. Then get Dorsey with the other pick. Package Songaila our 18th and Etan for Anotoine walker and minny's two picks(31 and 34) We waive walker and ....
Arenas/Daniels/31st
Stevenson/Young
Butler/McGuire
Jamison/Dorsey(34th)/Pecherov
Haywood/Blatche

Posted by: Mikey | June 11, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

^
also add our 47th pick in the trade

Posted by: Mikey | June 11, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

what about the titty monster?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 11, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Ivan: a few questions for you.

When will the Wiz have their summer league roster set?

will EJ's asst coaches be the ones coaching the Wiz summer league team? Even though they have not been resigned for next season yet?

Would you rank the quality of EJ's assistants from best to least effective?

Posted by: oddjob | June 11, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

"On Tuesday, the Wizards worked out Rodrique Beaubois, a raw but talented point guard who recently completed his second professional season in France. Today, the Wizards will take a look at another Frenchman in forward Luc Louves, a 6-foot-10, 210-pounder who is ranked among the top international forward prospects in his age group.

Louves, 19, is described by one scouting service as "a super-long big man with excellent athleticism" but also a developing young player who "is very skinny to play down low but doesn't have the ballhandling ability to play on the perimeter."

The Wizards, who hold the 18th and 47th picks in the June 26 draft, will also host forwards Josh Duncan (Xavier) and Robert Dozier (Memphis) today. None of the three prospects is projected as a potential first-round pick." -Ivan Carter

Which "three"? You mentioned 4 guys.

Posted by: Btown Represent | June 11, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan,

could you address the potential issue of the Wizards having so many young, underdeveloped players on the roster next season? I personally dont care for the draft this year...we already have projects in mcguire and pech, add on blatche and young and thats esentially our bench. It doesnt take a genius to figure out we're going nowhere with this roster.

Posted by: dont give gil the max | June 11, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Vegas sounds like fun... but alas a long haul from Warsaw. Keep up the good work and open-door policy Ivan!

Posted by: khrabb | June 12, 2008 3:38 AM | Report abuse

We have DeShawn and Caron.

The Cavs use Wally and LeBron. DeShawn is undersized either way.

The Magic has Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis. Again, DeShawn is undersized either way.

The Celtics have Ray Allen and Pierce. DeShawn matches up pretty well against Ray. Not coincidentally, we did pretty well against Boston this year.

Posted by: | June 10, 2008 3:16 PM

Wally may be bigger but DS guarding him wouldn't be a problem.

Turkoglu and Lewis are the forwards for Orlando. Bogans or Evans play the 2, but it's convenient to not include them when you're desperately trying to prove your (incorrect) point.

In the cases of LeBron, Turkoglu, and Pierce - they all really play the 3 so they should match up with Butler who usually does get his butt chewed by them. That's the reason why they stick DS on some of those guys since Butler can't handle them better. DS doesn't shut them down, but he does a better job on them than Butler and he is SMALLER than him cause he's a 2!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

DS being some sort of defensive specialist has got to be one of the most overrated things coming out of DC.

I'd rather trade him and get DJ Strawberry.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

GMC commercial... Nice, all of us here had that thought when we saw those commercials. Hilarious! Seriously, I think it's the dude from Mad TV.

I'm going up to Vegas from 7/15 - 7/17 with the wife and will try to stop by the T&M Center to make sure all the hoochies keep away from Blatche...

Posted by: CN | June 12, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"It doesnt take a genius to figure out we're going nowhere with this roster."

Best comment yet

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I agree Ivan - you are much better looking than the GMC commercial man. However you two could be related - maybe a distant cousin :)

Posted by: laila | June 12, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Oversized 2-guards. It's an interesting hypothesis, but without looking at film, I don't think there's enough data to come to a firm conclusion. It will be interesting to see what happens next year, if the Magic bring Battie back to their starting lineup, shifting Turkoglu/Lewis to the 2 and 3.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

LOL You usually don't send out threats to folks, I must have struck a cord my Mann. I've heard of internet thug but you bring a whole new meaning to it newspaper thuggin. You funny as hell bro.

Confessions of an Internet Thug

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | June 12, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"In the cases of LeBron, Turkoglu, and Pierce - they all really play the 3 so they should match up with Butler who usually does get his butt chewed by them."
-Anon

Have you watched those games against Boston??? Butler held his own against Pierce. LeBron kills everybody but when Caron checked him in the playoffs Lebron had a couple of turnovers. I just looked at the box scores and I'm not sure if Caron was checking Turkoglu, but if he did, Turkoglu had the best of him.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | June 12, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

The best perimeter defensive specialists can D up on 1's, 2's, and 3's. DeShawn does well with 1's and 2's, but struggles with 3's. Never mind LeBron, he even had trouble with Sczcerbiak!

Best way to defend the jump shot- get your hand up and force the shooter to change his release point. DeShawn lacks the length, so he's reduced to doing the far inferior option of getting a hand in the shooter's face. Good outside shooters can still shoot a high percentage even with a hand in their face. We all know the story about young Gil, Hopla, and the baseball cap with the cardboard hand cutout, right?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to summer league, Do I need to get tickets in advance to games? I'm assuming its pretty easy to just walk in right?

Posted by: CRitch | June 12, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Ivan what kind of gas mileage does the 2008 Sierra get?

Posted by: mark | June 12, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather trade him and get DJ Strawberry.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 9:32 AM

I like this idea a lot. I like the idea of using DJ as our lock-down defender AND emergency back-up PG which he can do, that way we can use our other picks to draft a big and a wing. I wonder if Steve Kerr will part with him so soon? Doubtful

Posted by: Wizzy | June 12, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"(Even you DCman88 but no, you can't crash in my room.)"

The man, the legend, the Wizards Insider cult hero.

DCMan, you've finally arrived. Congrats!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

How did the Wiz do against the Pacers and Hawks last year? Those teams also feature big 2-guards.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Pee Gee Wayne. Duck down my brotha. It's a war out there!

BTW, my comments have also been in print many times in the Post Sports section under "best insider post."

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wizzy-the year DJ strawberry played PG at MD he avereged at least 7 turnovers a game. There is no chance he can play PG in the NBA even for short periods of time...you put any pressure on him and its a lock he turns it over. Wouldnt mind him coming off the bench for D but dont ever want to see him running the point.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I did not associate Ivan with the GMC dude at all - I didn't even think about it until Ivan mentioned it. To me the GMC guy looks a little more like the comedian Mark Curry, not exact just reminds me of him.

Posted by: rgz | June 12, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Houston and Memphis also start big shooting guards. We had trouble with them, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

DJ is not a point guard, but has experience as a point guard.

He's an athletic 2 guard who can pretty much do what DS does, but probably has better fundamentals and knowledge of the game due to his years at UMd as DS came straight from HS.

With time, I can see him improving his handles. DJ is similar to Eric Snow.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

GMC Dude ROCKS!!!! He's my favorite of all time MAD TV character. Don't be hatin'!

Posted by: G Diddy | June 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

DJ has improved steadily as a PG, if you go back and check his Summer League performance where he was point for the Suns, he led in APG and was named First Team, so he can assume light PG duties. Was he not drafted as a future back-up PG for the Suns?

In any case, I did say emergency PG duties-it certainly would not be a stretch for him & the guy can certainly play defense well...something we need.

Posted by: Wizzy | June 12, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"And on a personal note: I look nothing like that dude in those GMC commercials. Get off me."

LOL! Someone beat me to it. :)

Com'on man, you really do. Grow some hair or something. ;)

Looks like EG is going to let another player sit via international. It kills me people have Lawson going to the Spurs in a lot of mock drafts that I have seen but no one on this blog wants him in Washington?

Go figure.

Anyway, draft Lawson and Gist and then you can start dumping some of these salaries clogging up the roster. You might have to give up Blatche to get rid of Daniels or Thomas, but hey he's really not going to get any better(time for everyone to be honest here). "Potential" only takes you so far.

As someone mentioned above, this roster as it is isn't going anywhere.

And as much as I like Gil, you CAN'T give him a max salary. He has to show that knee is healthy first, and then show he is worthy of that much money. I love the guy, but not at 60 mil?

Re-sign Jamison, draft Lawson and Gist, and if you can't get Gil back there are some other FA's that are worthy of that spot available this year. Why not Baron Davis? He's one of the best PG's in the league when he's healthy. Can't resign Jamison? Ok, bring in Elton Brand.

Chemistry isn't everything in basketball, look at what Boston did last summer and where they are now. And Shaq is WAY past his prime, so the Suns/Heat trade isn't a good comparison.

Seriously EG you gotta think about this.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 12, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Getting back to the draft --

The guys on the realgm wizards board have had a discussion in the last day about how Mario Chalmers would be a good pick for the Wizards. I had been thinking that more and more ever since Eddie Jordan showed up at his workout (CDR also worked out then) -- I don't think it was a coincidence that Jordan showed up that day. The numbers draftexpress.com posted yesterday about point guards also support how good Chalmers is.

Chalmers might be a slight reach at 18, but it wouldn't trouble me. The Wizards need to improve their defense, so Chalmers, CDR or Batum would be very good picks, in my view.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Gist would do nothing for the Wizards they can't get from the likes of Dominic McGuire.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ray, I love you, but:

"You might have to give up Blatche to get rid of Daniels or Thomas, but hey he's really not going to get any better."

Blatche is 21 years old, and here are Blatche's numbers for his first three seasons:

2005-06: 2.2 pts., 1.3 reb., 39% FG%, .2 blks.
2006-07: 3.7 pts., 3.4 reb., 44% FG%, .6 blks.
2007-08: 7.5 pts., 5.2 reb., 47% FG%, 1.4 blks.

What makes you believe that Blatche has suddenly hit his ceiling? Didn't we all rip Hollinger at the beginning of the season (justifiably, as it turned out) for deciding that Butler had hit his ceiling and wouldn't improve his numbers this past season?

And in support of your argument that Gil shouldn't be resigned because he has been injured, you offer, "Baron Davis [is] one of the best PG's in the league when he's healthy." Yeah, so is Gil. And at least Gil is a free agent, unlike Davis.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Gist and D-Mac are interchangable. Gist maybe a bit better offensively, but not enough to warrant having them both.

Posted by: True | June 12, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

So Ray, you don't want to pay Arenas a max salary because he was recently injured, but you want to acquire Baron Davis, who makes more than what Gilbert would make if he got a max salary, has a much more extensive injury history than Arenas (including back problems, which can be chronic), and is 3 years older than Arenas?

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Teams with big starting 2-guards and our records against them last year (W-L):
Atl (2-2), Cle (4-6), Hou (0-2), Ind (2-2), Mem (1-1), Sea (2-0). Overall, we were 11-13 against these teams.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Summer League does sound fun but why do I have to go to Vegas to have a drink with you?

Posted by: randy | June 12, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I think your voice sets you apart from GMC man.
He has an annoying, whiny voice while you have a nice deep voice therefore making you look 10 times better!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd tend to agree that now's not the time to be dumping Blatche. On the totum pole of bad behavior, Blatche has done mostly a series of pretty low level stuff.

I'm not defending any of his actions in the least. But to my knowledge none of these charges involved drugs, guns, or violent behavior. And beleive me, if a young black man flying up 95 in a fancy car with no license gets stopped, they checked and tried for all of the above.

Dump him now and we'd get pennies on the dollar like we did for Chris Webber or either Wallace when they were shipped out.
That just seems like reverting back to the same thinking that made this team a mess.

Keep him around and resign Jamison for sure, these vets will ride him and turn him into a pro. The Wizards have the right kind of locker room to have the vets reign him in. Years ago Blatche would have been just one more knucklehead in a cast of characters.

The kid could end up being just average and never developing because of a lack of real drive.But if he follows his progression he should be worth 10+ points a game and 7-8 rebounds next season, not a bad guy off the bench.

I'm useally loath to jump on the local guy band wagon, there's always so many guys out there we've rarely seen. About the question of working out Hibbert, I think Eddie's going to play coy with who he'd really like. He always seems to reveal very little to anybody about what he's thinking.

This team really needs more size up front, they got beat up by Cleveland inside alot in this playoffs. This year games have been really physical inside all accross the board in the playoffs. I'd love to see the Wiz able to trade up and land a skilled banger like Love, but I don't see that Eddie has the ammo to get up too far.

I rate the need of a center way over the need of a third point, the only reason to go point is if Arenas is going to get heavy minutes at the two, which I really doubt.

Posted by: GM | June 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

If Roger Mason can play point for us, DJ can.

Posted by: mark | June 12, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Strawberry's ability to play the point has nothing to do with Masons' ability to play the point.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Roger also was pretty successful was a combo PG in college whereas DJ stunk it up there at MD.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The point is once into the 1/2 court offense in the Princeton it doesn't require a point guard in the sense that other offenses do.

Once into the offense everybody becomes a cutter, Eddie also varies his half court calls based on who he has at point.

But in reality I doubt the Suns would let Strawberry anyway.

Posted by: GM | June 12, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards need size and strength up front as evidenced by our getting beat up on the boards by Cleveland and the way the playoffs are officiated. Resign Jamison to play the 4 but acquire through a trade or FA a 6 10" or talller PF/C who can rebound and play D. Against bigger teams like Cleveland, we should be playing AJ at the 3 and Caron at the 2. Both are giving up size and BTH isn't a dominant center.

Blatche, Songaila, Pecherov have one thing in common - they can't rebound or cover against other bigs. Thomas is too limited offensively to play anything but the 5 and is undersized...we should try to move him along with Blatche and our No. 1 for a solid young veteran bigman.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 12, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

My point was that we had a sg playing the point and he survived because we also had other players who could bring the ball up court. In today's game, it doesn't take a skilled ball handler to get it done. DJ is good enough (as long as he's not being trapped). If that happens, we still have Caron and DS or two other players on the court who can suffice. Even AB and DM can get it done as long as they're not trying to do too much and they give it up after crossing halfcourt.

Posted by: mark | June 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Darnell, I agree with you. The Hibbert bashing will no doubt continue after he is chosen with the 18 pick and until he posts his first string of double-doubles as a Wizard... But the choice still makes more sense than all the alternatives.

As far as point guard goes, the CJ Miles idea makes sense, so does giving Singleterry a shot as a free agent and so might trading Blatche and our second round pick (or the infamous JCN first round pick) for Lowry and Memphis's second rounder, which would allow us to get both a very promising point guard and a potentially solid big (Joey Dorsey?) early in the second round.

James Gist will almost certainly be availble as a free agent, which will satsify the curiosity seekers.

Posted by: khrabb | June 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Wizfan89, I'm not ready to close the book on Pech yet as far as rebounding goes. He's actually shown an ability to rebound when he's been in there. Defense is another story. He's definitely foot speed challenged.
His endurance is decentbecause I think he stores water in that hump in his back camel-style.

Posted by: mark | June 12, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"My point was that we had a sg playing the point and he survived because we also had other players who could bring the ball up court."

My point is that, based on actual observable evidence, while neither of them is a PG, Mason is clearly a better ballhandler than Strawberry, so his ability to run the point from the SG spot has no bearing on Strawberry's ability to do the same. Strawberry is simply not skilled enough in that area to rely on him.

"In today's game, it doesn't take a skilled ball handler to get it done.

It does if you want to get it done well.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Hibbert's passing and recognition skills are what set him apart. He will never be as athletic as the other C prospects, but odds are that they will never develop Hibbert's skills either. BH and ET certainly haven't improved in that area after all these years.

We finished .500 against Atl, Ind, and Mem? We should be doing better than that.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

1. The Suns drafted DJ to be a back-up PG
2. DJ Excelled in the PG role leading Summer League in assists.
3. The Suns probably won't trade him

Posted by: Accuracy | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"1. The Suns drafted DJ to be a back-up PG"

They also signed Marcus Banks and Eddie House to be their backup PGs. How'd those work out? The Suns track record on the backup PG front is less than exemplary.

"2. DJ Excelled in the PG role leading Summer League in assists."

Every year there's guys who lead the summer league in something or other, only to end up leading the league in DNPs once the actual season starts. Summer League numbers are meaningless.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

1. The Suns drafted DJ to be a back-up PG
2. DJ Excelled in the PG role leading Summer League in assists.
3. The Suns probably won't trade him

Posted by: Accuracy | June 12, 2008 2:21 PM
-----------

A 3rd string PG, behind Nash, and Barbosa, unless you're classifying Barbosa a playing more the 2-guard. Regardless, Strawberry didn't get much playing time out there. Even with Eddie House moving off to Boston...

Posted by: CN | June 12, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"A 3rd string PG, behind Nash, and Barbosa"

Fourth-string, if you include the times when they run the offense through Diaw from the forward spot.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you look a few columns to the left on Strawberry's summer league stat chart, you'll see that his assist numbers are quite nicely offset by his 4.8 TO/gm, giving him an ATO ratio of 1.33/1.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Make that a few columns to the right.

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

So who is Ivan Carter, anyway, and why is he trying to steal my job?!

Posted by: GMC Commercial Man | June 12, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What Blatche, Pecherov, and McGuire all have in common is the need to continue to work on their games and their strength in the offseason.

The one big plus Pecherov has is his work ethic. Not many teams in the league that will give up on a 7'0" with some skills that works like he does.

But Pecherov as a center is a few years off, he's got to grow into his hump. So the three routes that make sense to me is trading for a vet that can provide muscle at PF and play some Backup Center. Draft one of the development guys at center at 18. Or try and move up for a guy like Love.

Moving up in the draft is probably the hardest move. There might be the chance to get a veteran big in a trade. But in the end Ernie may keep the pick, if he does my bet is he goes big.

Posted by: GM | June 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Terry Porter allowing management to let DJ get out of Phoenix depending on his contract status,Roger Mason in all likely hood won't be back if he can get the big ticket in free agency and why should he? I was floored when he turned down the spurs last off season.EG needs to bring back Gil if for no other reason than to give the big three a final shot together,been thinking about VEGAS SUMMER LEAGUE,but just paid baby girl's tuition for next year so the cash is a little tight.I'm still on the bandwagon for Hibbert no need to go through my reason's again Rook nailed it the other day in his blog the Nats are killin me almost unwatchable,waiting on the NFL AND NCAA football.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | June 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's trade a young player for Otis Thorpe. It worked the first time.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's not get too worked up over summer league stats, especially when it comes to turnovers caused between two parties. Summer leagues are generally for rookies or young vets who haven't played together much.

In the end, what counts is whether a player fulfills the needs of his team, can put the ball in the hole, defend the ball, and has the drive/fire to get better. I do see that in DJ.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW, what is EG going to do to make sure AB doesn't go buck wild in Vegas? And to think Party John was a bad influence on him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 3:53 PM
AB is going to be the veteran looking after the newbies, he's got responsibilities now he'll be on his fourth year in the team! He'll make sure they all get to bed at a reasonable hour.

After you get finished laughing out loud, consider that it is very possible the best way to make a kid grow up is to give him more responsibility - not sic more guards on him.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Ivan - Stop leaning on that player's Denali! And what's up with the yellow "STAFF" shirt?

Posted by: Denali | June 12, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Anybody interested in a kid with some potential but a bum knee?

If the Clips don't exercise the option for Shaun Livingston, he becomes an unrestricted free agent come July 1. They may not, since they are targeting Calderon.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"There are not many centers that see the court and pass like Hibbert. The Princeton leverages that ability better than any other system. Draft Hibbert!

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 4:15 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"What's the point with talking about Hibbert's passing ability when he'll never touch the ball if Gilby and AJ are resigned???

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 4:27 PM "

To play with AB and AD.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 12:17 PM

Ray - I usually agree with a lot of your posts - but you're way off here.

Let Arenas walk - and "pick up" Baron Davis? How would the Wizards do that? Which Salary Cap exemption would they use?

Let Jamison walk - and "pick up" Brand? Just let go a 20/10 guy? AND then again, what Exemption would you use?

True - if you let BOTH Arenas and Jamison walk, the Wizards would be under the Salary Cap, and could afford ONE HIGH LEVEL FREE AGENT at about $14 Mil for the first year. Which $14 Million player makes the Wizards better even without Arenas AND Jamison?

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | June 12, 2008 12:17 PM

Ray - I usually agree with a lot of your posts - but you're way off here.

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Teams with big starting 2-guards and our records against them last year (W-L):

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM

Are you trying to imply that teams with Big starting 2-guards cause the Wizards trouble because DeShawn Stevenson can't guard them?

1. The starting guards for Memphis were:
a. First game were J.Navarro (Listed at 6'3" LOL) and Damon Stoudamire (5'10")
b. Second game were Mike Conley (6'1") and J.Navarro
Which of those guards are you counting as the "big shooting guard"? (keep in mind that Mike Miller played Forward in those games - and mainly played Forward all year for Memphis)

2. In the games against Houston, Tracy McGrady did not play the first game, and had only 11 points on 4-15 shooting (26.7%) in the second game.

3. In the games against Indiana, Mike Dunleavy scored 11 points in each game, going a combined 6-20 (30.0% shooting).

4. Atlanta's Joe Johnson lit up the Wizards last year, but he did it against nearly everyone...

5. Probably unfair to blame Stevenson for the Cleveland losses - since he was guarding LeBron most of the time... NO ONE can effectively guard James.

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Teams with big starting 2-guards and our records against them last year (W-L):

Posted by: | June 12, 2008 12:25 PM

If you recall - the other option during the off-season last year was Juan Carlos Navarro.... If we let Stevenson walk, we could have signed Navarro as our "Shooting Guard"...

Do you think our Perimeter Defense would have been better with Little "Ole" Navarro on the team?

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 4:27 PM

That's Haywood's problem.

Or, knowing Eddie Jordan't propensity for "Small Ball" , perhaps watching from the bench with fellow 7-footers Haywood, Pecherov and Blatche; while Songaila or Jamison plays Center. (grin).

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

"Hibbert would be playing on the 2nd unit with Antonio Daniels, Blatche, Songaila and Young...

Posted by: Rook | June 12, 2008 9:18 PM "

Hibbert leapfrogging a "healthy" ET? Not likely.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 12, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Why not? EJ makes his loves offense. If Hibbert's passing improves the offense, EJ will use him, defense be damned.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 13, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Don't bet on it...not even for 7 cents.

Posted by: DC Man88 | June 15, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse