Arenas pondering offers, will talk to Abe Pollin

Gilbert Arenas will soon board a flight to Toronto and then China for a promotional trip he's doing for Adidas. When he lands later today, Arenas is scheduled to have a phone conversation with Wizards' owner Abe Pollin. The subject will be Washington's offer of a lucrative longterm contract.

As I first reported early this morning via the blog, the Wizards offered Arenas a maximum level contract, one that would pay the three-time all-star around $124 million over six years. According to my sources, the offer came shortly after the Golden State Warriors aggressively jumped out and offered Arenas a five-year deal worth just over $100.

The Warriors, who drafted Arenas in the second round in 2001 and lost him when the Wizards signed him to $65 million deal in 2003, had the cash available after Baron Davis surprisingly opted out of the final year of his contract.

Getting Arenas back would be a huge move for the Warriors because he remains a popular player in the Bay Area. When the Wizards play in Oakland each season, it's interesting that many Warriors fans can still be seen wearing Arenas jerseys (they still love Antawn Jamison as well).

The word on the street is that Davis, a Los Angeles native, has a deal in place with the Clippers where he would join forces with Elton Brand.

According to my sources, Arenas will likely remain a Wizard but the question is whether he will take less than the max in order to help the team remain under the luxury tax threshold (expected to be around $71 million) and help Ernie Grunfeld make more moves.

The Wizards yesterday signed two-time all-star Antawn Jamison to a four-year deal worth $50 million and are hoping to retain free agent shooting guard Roger Mason Jr., who is coming off a career season, or to add another player with the mid-level exception via free agency.

The Wizards remained under the threshold last season and my sources indicate that the team would like to do the same this season. Teams that go over must pay a dollar-for-dollar tax and following each season, that money is pooled and redistributed to the teams that remained under.

I'm tired...

By Ivan Carter  |  July 1, 2008; 8:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz offer Arenas the max but he may take less
Next: Pollin and Arenas chat about contract

Comments

EG..please withdraw the Gilby offer and make room for Lebron in 2010.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I find it silly that the team will ask Gilby to take less than max, even though it's offered, to help the team.

If the Wiz can get Gilby to take less, sign Mason, and stay below the lux tax threshold does Gilby get money from the Abe's cut of the lux tax benefits/welfare?

NOT.

If this team wants to win, and keep it intact with everyone...then spend the d@mn money and stop worrying about lux tax.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

You're tired ? From traveling all over the country hanging out with sports stars? Hmmm. I'm a computer guy so I know how strenuous typing can be. And now those damn taskmasters at the Post are forcing you to go to Vegas for summer league?!! Man, I don't know how you handle it. You're a true soldier.

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Bye Bye Gil...he's going back to the Warriors...

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh please. We don't want LeTravel.

Posted by: Bart | July 1, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Come on DC Man ... Lebron wants to play for his boy Jay Z on the Brooklyn Nets in 2010. There is no chance in the world that he would come here. NY lends itself to becoming a "Global Icon" a little bit better than DC.

Posted by: tmc | July 1, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I think it's worthwhile to ask him to take less. We've offered the max. If he takes less, we get to sign more players and he gets tremendous amount of goodwill from the DC fans. Win win for everybody.

Posted by: Bart | July 1, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

If the Maloofs are willing to give up their entire team for Gilby, that means a sign and trade would work and we could get Artest and Brand Miller and maybe their first round picks for the next 5 years.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"... and LeTravel wants no part of Washington too, fine with me. If he (LeTravel) receives max offers from the Knicks, Nets, Cavs, and us, why would he come here?? Nice try...

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 8:42 AM "

According to the article, he likes DC.

If you think Gilby is big in DC, imagine if we had Lebron.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

^ahahahahahahaha

Posted by: Monte | July 1, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

You are certainly earning your $$$ IC! Keep it up!

Posted by: Nick | July 1, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

What are you talking about??? I keep hearing that teams are "clearing the books" for 2010 to make room for LeBron. There is only one Lebron so that means that only one team is going to get him, assuming that he does not resign with Clevland. The two NY teams are clearly the front runners and fans around here are not that fond of LJ23. I would not want to see that crybaby in a Wiz uniform. I think Ernie is making the right moves by sticking to the plan to to dethrone the king. The C's only have a very limited window with the other Big Three all in their 30s.

Caron and Gil are in their mid 20's, Jamison is 32 and the rest of the team is young. By resigning Gil and Jamison, they have assured themselves to be competetive for the next four years plus. Blatche will be coming into his own as Jamison gets older. He would naturally succeed at the 4.

I love Jamison, but would have loved to see Elton Brand signed to be a true 4, a banger. He opted out and said he would be willing to take less to assemble a all-star team in Clipperland. He might have been able to be talked into leaving and accepting what Jamison took. Risky move letting Jamison test the market, so Ernie did what he felt would make sure the Wiz stayed strong in the weak East.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, we have all assumed for a while that the Wiz were gonna try again next year with the same team. The real question is...what's gonna be different or why should we expect a different outcome?

I know that health is huge but does management realistically think that this squad can contend for a championship if healthy? They must think so. We all saw how KG and defense won it all for the Celts. Will there be a change in philosophy or are we gonna try to go down the same road but hope for health?

I'm going to be a fan regardless but I think our approach needs to be tweaked. If we're trying to play defense, the lineups and rotations need to change. Ernie was quoted in your article this morning talking about how the young bigs bode well for the future. He even mentioned Pech. Realistically only 8 or 9 guys play. Pech would seem to be the odd man out. I'm just fishing and looking for something to be excited and optimistic about.
Also, how is Gilbert's knee? It's been a while since he played and it should be almost healed. He's had a couple months of rest now.

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

@Mark: The wizards were the only team in the league to have a winning record against the Celtics (3-1). So yeah I think this team as constituted can win (at least get to the finals). The problem for the past 3 years has been getting all 3 players healthy at the same time. I say give it one more shot before giving up. Besides, like someone said above 2 of our Big 3 are in their twenties.

Posted by: Bart | July 1, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying LeTravel isn't more marketable; my point is that Lebron's going to receive at least 3 max contracts (Knicks, Cavs, Nets), and each of those teams offer something we don't: Knicks & Nets: playing in the NY (& vicinity) markets, not to mention Shawn Carter's influence. The Cavs can offer him the most money, plus an additional year.

Maybe we should clear cap space for D-Wade, his shoulder & knee injuries should be fully healed... until our team doctors get a crack at him...

As for Gil, he's got 3 max offers out there from the Warriors, Kings (presumably, since the Maloofs said they'd "trade the entire team for him"), and us. The other two teams have no issues maxing him out, so worse case scenario is a sign & trade here. I don't think either the Warriors or Kings would have any issues with that. Down side with a sign & trade is that we'll take back a lot of salary, and not necessarily equal talent to Gil (subject to interpretation). I hope he re-signs, but obviously, his max contract will cripple us. Time for Gil to come through for us...

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't it take 12 hours to get to China? And that's without a stopover in Toronto. So it will probably be 11 am or noon in China and midnight in D.C. before Arenas can call Abe. Unless he calls from Toronto in an hour or so.

Posted by: rgz | July 1, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I do not want want the Kings have. Brad Miller is a has been and Artest is in the last year of his deal. Plus, Artest plays the 3... we already have an all-star named "Tough Juice".

Their only decent player beyond Artest is Martin and I am sure that the Maloofs want to hang on to him. And first round picks are not the solution to the Wiz problems. They need to get bigger inside. McGee could be the answer down the road.

Maybe Ernie pulls out his magic wand and lands Emeka Okafor. Trade Brendan, Antonio Daniels and next years number one plus the Grizz's number one (good move by Ernie in trading JC Navarro for a first round pick. He went back to Spain after one year) for Emeka. Then resign Mason to back up Gil at the one. Crazy notion, but Ernie in the past has been able to pull off crazy deals or land free agents that no one belived he could (take the deals to bring Jamison and Butler and signing Gil).

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Ho hum. How is this team going to move up, other than from wishful thinking?

They need a banger like Okafur and more than a one-dimensional coach.

But, according to Kalorama, nothing can change and learning from experimentation is a canard.

For his own sake, Gilbert better get a no-trade clause if he accepts less than the max.

Posted by: Izman | July 1, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

If Arenas signs a max deal with us it will end with both EG and EJ getting fired within the next season or 2.

What a huge mistake Ernie is ruining the team for years to come.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Worst move by Ernie and Abe: Not being able to keep Tom Thibadeau (I apologized for the spelling). He is the assistant coach that designed the defensive schemes that helped the C's win their title. He has accepted an offer to join the staff last season before changing his mind and going to Boston.

What a difference he could have made? Maybe not the title, but maybe the conference finals.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"The offer is on the table...I bet Gilby will stay here, but Gilby's PR machine would explode if he signed with the Kings and then could blow up in Vegas with the Maloofs."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 8:41 AM

Now Golden State or the Clippers is a different story.

All I know is the Wiz have done exactly what they told Gil they would do....it's his turn to do what he said he would do.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"What an idiotic statement! Yeah,Right! Gil wants to go to no man's land - Cow Bell Country? Totally laughable.

Now Golden State or the Clippers is a different story.

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 9:04 AM "

What's more idiotic?

Gilby going to Vegas or expecting Gilby to take the sane and predictable approach that you think he will?

Clearly it's you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Have fun in Golden State Gil...

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who wants gilly over Lebron has lost their mind.

EG is officially one of the worst GM's in the league. I never want to hear another good thing about him. The only way he gets out of this is if he gets lucky and gilly leaves just like larry did.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Lets see if Gilbert is a man of his word, he said he would re-up if Antawn did and he has. DAMN the Warriors for driving up the price, now (if accepted), we will have to waaay overpay someone of questionable health.

Posted by: Wizzy | July 1, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I would not take Gil over Lebron, but realistically the Wiz being able to land Lebron is far fetched. He is going to either one of the NY teams or out west.

Why is Ernie so bad? Is it the fact that the Wizards have gone to the playoffs four years in a row after a decade long absence. Or is it the fact that his three biggest deals have netted 7 all-star appearances and some respect in this league.

And to the Sacremento comments, didn't we learn anything from the Webber for Richmond deal.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Bart, I like our chances if we make a few minor adjustments. I'm not encouraged by what I've seen from Eddie in terms of subbing, in-game or game to game adjustments, though. In his defense, he's not had a full deck to play with because of injuries.
I just hope that he can finally put a C in there and leave him there. Most good teams don't change their lineups from game to game depending upon matchups. Songaila should NEVER play C and BTH should NEVER play less than 35 minutes unless he fouls out.

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Arenas isn't going anywhere. The Wiz have already committed to giving Arenas the contract he wants. The only variable is whether Arenas wants the max from the Wiz or if he's going to take a slight pay-cut for the betterment of the team. Better accept to accept it now Gil haters, he isn't going anywhere (unless a big-time sign and trade happens, which seems highly unlikely to me).

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I hope Ernie has a plan to keep Caron in the fold. He is key to the Wiz success.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:20 AM
------------

We flat out traded Webber for Richmond & Thorpe. Webber was in a middle of a contract... 'twas not a sign & trade, my friend.

However, if Gil is set on going out west, be it Sac or GS, then we might as well should trade him and get something for him. I think we're all just trying to speculate on the possible scenarios at this point...

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry Chris Wallace, what team do you run in the NBA?

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 9:26 AM

******************************************

Yes, if he was set on going somewhere then a sign and trade would be an option. As I posted before, Sacramento has no talent. We would have to take the whole team to match contracts in a trade. GS on the other hand, has some talent that would be worth taking back. The only problem is that two of their best players are restricted free agents: Ellis and Bierdens. Plus, they would want to include Stephen Jackson in any deal. He is a cancer!

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

This may be a crazy question but why do you all think we can sign and trade Gil? Or that we would want to? You think he would actually sign with us just to be traded? Sometimes (in fact most of the time) the comments on here simply make me shake my head in disbelief.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I doubt the Wiz would be dumb enough to trade Gil to Sacramento. Doesn't anybody around here remember the C Webb trade to the Kings? -- They have nothing we'd be interested in.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:03 AM

I agreed it was tough to lose Thibodeau but he wasn't happy with the "situation" here. It was more of a personal decision on his part. Can't really blame Ernie or Eddie on that one.

Posted by: Wizzz | July 1, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert would sign and trade with us so he could get the max somewhere else. The only way he can get the max is if he 1st signs with us.

"Sometimes (in fact most of the time) the comments on here simply make me shake my head in disbelief."

I felt the same way when I read that post

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 9:34 AM

Because a sign and trade with us allows Arenas to sign a 6-year contract for the max (like he wants) AND move to another team (if that's what he wanted). A free agent signing with another team can only net him a 5-year deal.

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

KeepArenasInDC08-EG is so bad b/c he is trying to max out a player who clearly isnt a max player. He wasn't a max player before the knee surgeries. He is ruining the teams cap on a bunch of players that can't get past the 1st round. You might be hapy with allstar apperances and one and done's every year. I on the other hand would like a championship and EG is about to ruin that chance for the next 5-6 years. That is why EG is one of the worst GM and the league...oh yeah and HE CANT DRAFT

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Gil will be West Coast frontin by next week.

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz have lived up to their end of the deal by re-signing Jamison AND offering Gilby the max even though he's played a total of about 15-20 games since March 2007. They've designated him as their franchise player, both verbally and now in offering a max contract. That's showing him respect and loyalty.

You don't have to be a genius to know that he'd be playing on teams that would be on the bubble to even make the playoffs in the West. Golden State has 6 FA's, two of which are restricted, and 4 that can leave. Sacramento is even weaker and Artest will be a FA next year.

It's time for Gil to back up his words and show some loyalty back to the Wiz. If he would accept less than the max, we'd have cap room to re-sign Mason or another FA. IMO he wants Abe to agree to go over the luxury tax in order to improve the team and to make other concessions. If this was strictly about salary, he wouldn't need to talk to Abe Pollin.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 1, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"I love Jamison, but would have loved to see Elton Brand signed to be a true 4, a banger. He opted out and said he would be willing to take less to assemble a all-star team in Clipperland. He might have been able to be talked into leaving and accepting what Jamison took."

Brand is not taking a pay cut. He opted out to get more money, either from the Clippers or somewhere else.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"In reading an article on SI.com, I realized something. "Tough Juice" can opt out of his deal next offseason. He is severely underpaid, and would be looking for a big payday.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:25 AM "

Keeping Caron- now THAT is a legitimate reason to pay the luxury tax.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Obviously Gilly is thinking about other teams right now. We offered him his cute little max contract(thats he doesn't deserve) and he still got on a plane and flew to china without signing. Why didnt he sign the contract? Obviously he is thinking about GS, Sactown or the clips. Otherwise the contract would already be signed. I PRAY GIL LEAVES OTHERWISE THIS TEAM IS RUINED.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Well it is a long flight to China (more like 16 than 12 hours!) and as Gilbert is acting as his own agent I hope he has his wits about him when he talks by phone to Mr Pollin upon arrival there... He has 124 million reasons to be very cool...

Posted by: khrabb | July 1, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pg posse | July 1, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

hibachiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | July 1, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 9:34 AM
------------
Two reasons for a sign & trade:
1) We get something in return, if Gil was set on leaving
2) Gil would get more money in a S&T, since we can offer more money than any team.

The sign & trade talk on this thread is not to random teams like Orlando where we would get Dwight Howard in return. The jibber-jabber on the S&T is with Golden St or Sacramento, who both have made very strong pushes overnight to sign Gil...

Posted by: CN | July 1, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"It's time for Gil to back up his words and show some loyalty back to the Wiz. If he would accept less than the max, we'd have cap room to re-sign Mason or another FA."

Cap room? No. Luxury tax space? Maybe.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone who wants gilly over Lebron has lost their mind."
--------

Um, anyone who thinks LeBron is even an option is off their meds.

I'll take Gil over a player we could never sign in a million years. This is the only board I have ever heard a Lebron to DC rumor, which kinda points out how lost some of you are.

That just ain't an option. Never has been, and never will be. Think it through a bit.

I mean, why don't we pay KG to break his contract, fake his death, change his name, get plastic surgery to change his appearance and play for us as an 'undiscovered' talent we happened to find. Jaques Mammajammert!

That would make us a better team too! I can't believe no one has suggested that yet. It seems SOOO OBVIOUS to me!

Posted by: g | July 1, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I've actually been trying to fathom the two possible sign-and-trade scenarios. Sacramento would be a waste in my opinion, they have nothing to offer and we would get skinned on value if we gave up Arenas.

But Golden State might be another matter. Maybe a triple sign and trade with Arenas for Biedrins/Monta Ellis/Draft picks? I'm not too familiar with the restricted FA deals and trade possibilities, but this seems like it could be a possibility. Of course, I rarely know what I'm talking about when it comes to trades.

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Oh please. We don't want LeTravel.

Posted by: Bart | July 1, 2008 8:38 AM

"We?"

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 1, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You know what? I think he'll accept us for less than the max at this point. I think the fact that Ernie offered it may make Gil say, "Wow you guys really want me here." G-State really forced our hand, but they hooked us up in the end because our first offer HAD to be the max, and it seems like that means a lot to Gil.

Posted by: RonBurgundy | July 1, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You all are never friggin satisfied. You complained when MJ was here and Doug Collins was coach. You complained when we had Webber,Mitch Richmond,et al. You complained when the Wiz was a joke. We get EJ and EG and EG made trades bringing us Gil,Caron and Antawn. We begin to win and made it to the playofss three seasons in a row when there are some teams who have yet to make it in the last ten, yet you still complain. Let's see, since I have been reading this blog, Blatche,Jamison,Butler and especially Arenas have all been on the chopping block and trading block on a daily basis. Let's see, you all also want to fire EJ and you want EG's head. Bottom line, no matter who heads the team, who plays for the team, you all will not be satisfied. Let's say we do bring Elton Brand or Baron Davis and we get another coach. Let them lose two games or more or have a bad game, and it's off with their head. You all are a joke. Just go ahead and admit it, you can't be true fans and must be from other teams and are on here perpetrating so that we will have a bottom feeder as a team because other than that I can not for the life of me explain how you all b***h and moan about every friggin thing!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, what went on with the Abe meeting with Gilby before his 9am plane flight?

Abe is no chump. He is not going to take quirky sh%t from Gilby.

I hope Abe kicks Gilby to the curb when he starts acting up, worse than when he kicked MJ to the curb. Maybe give him a time out in the corner.

Gilby is really in over his head.

Three teams interested, and he has no agent to give him direction or advice, but has a plane to catch.

People with a few thousand dollars in the bank talk to financial planners, and Gilby is going it solo to negotiate 100 mil dollar contracts?

Nuts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm Ron Burgundy?????

GIL MUST STAY TO KEEP US RELEVANT

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | July 1, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Nuts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:15 AM

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What will everyone think if Gil takes less and signs with the team? Will everyone be satisfied then? I'm not saying that this will happen, but at the moment it is the best case scenario.

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"Actually he seems to be one of the few smart athletes out there. If you're dead set on signing a max contract, why in the H-E-Double hockey sticks would you want to pay an agent 12.4 million to negotiate for you? It's a waste of the extra money you were trying to get in the first place. Especially when you're able to get that same offer without an agent. I don't get why more top-athletes don't do it (I can see less-than-top guys, because agents can help spark bidding wars and interest).

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 10:20 AM "

It's not just "signing the max contract." It's also about understanding the market and lining up local sponsors where you can make even more money.

That's the reason why Lebron will leave Cleveland for NY...a bigger market.

Gilby needs someone to explain to him how he can possibly turn the Sac. Kings/Vegas angle into more money. Or, how GS is possibly a bigger market for him than in DC.

BTW, a 2% agent fee for 120 mil would be 2.4 mil, not 12.4 mil. Agent fee is negotiable.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 10:31 AM "

The question isn't really whether Gilby will take less. The question is why the Wiz are so cheap that they want him to take less so that they can reap the lux tax windfall and still get mason.

For all intents and purposes, Gilby should care less if the Wiz have to pay a tax. If the Wiz want to win, and want Mason, pay him and Mason...tax be damned...

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 9:25 AM

That is incorrect. Caron Butler is signed through the 2010-11 season...

Posted by: Rook | July 1, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Team is ruined if Gil signs the max. Sign and trade with GS, Sac, or the clips is our only hope.

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 10:18 AM "

Gilby "bashing" aside, I think EG needs to spice up the team and make some trades....I don't see status quo as the solution to getting better.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have any idea when the heck that flight will land in China? I can't wait another 2 weeks to find out if he's coming back, we need to know today.

Posted by: PLEASE STAY GIL! | July 1, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The 'Zards r crazy. Take the 20 $million, use it on Maggette and Okafor. That is how u make your money work for you! One person does not win a ring, unless his name is Michael Jordan, who the idiot Wizards fired!

Posted by: L!pty | July 1, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"By that time, Thomas, Daniels and Haywood's contracts will all be off the books...

Posted by: Rook | July 1, 2008 10:37 AM "

BTH's contract off the books?

Not likely...

If anything, he'll be back and at market value...much more than 5 mil/year.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Can you verify Jamison's contract? You've reported that he is getting $50M. Other outlets have reported $44M and Comcast is reporting $44-50M. Which is it? $44M or $50M?

You've also mentioned that his first year pays him less than $10M which makes it impossible to get to $50M using the normal 10.5% raises permitted. (However, there is a loophole that may apply because Jamison is extending his existing contract. If I read the CBA correctly, he may be able to get raises up to 10.5% of his salary in 07/08.)

Also, looking at the Wizards' committed payroll, it appears that the luxtax is actually more of a problem next year than this year. If Abe is paying Jamison and Arenas as much as reported, it'll actually make more sense to front load their contract and give one or both of them a pay cut in Year 2 before going with the usual 10.5% increases thereafter. Are there any such wrinkles in their contracts or are they being offered the standard contracts with the usual 10.5% raises?

I'm just trying to get a handle on the long term impact to the Wizards' payroll.

Posted by: nate33 | July 1, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:35 AM

Boy - you'r agent is CHEAP!!!

Most Agents that represent Professional Athletes get 10%

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

What are the potential parameters of a sign and trade with Golden State? Who do they have to send here? Ellis? Biedrins? Chris Mullin?

Posted by: joNAThan | July 1, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

mitch ritchmond lol

Posted by: prescrunk | July 1, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nate33 | July 1, 2008 10:43 AM

Nate - Jamison signed a Contract Extension.

According to the CBA, raises for a Contract Extension can be 10.5% of the last year in the expiring contract. Jamison made $16.3 Million in the last year of his contract. Therefore, the Wizards can offer $1.71 Million dollar raises...

Assuming a starting salary of less than $10M, his salary structure could look like this:

Year 1 $9,900,000
Year 2 $11,617,810
Year 3 $13,335,620
Year 4 $15,053,430

TOTAL $49,906,859

Posted by: Rook | July 1, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

If the wizards give "Agent 0" $125 million, mark my words, both the team and its fans, will come to regret that decision! He shouldn't get more than $80 million, but this is Gilbert were dealing with!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

wayne from bowie FTW!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | July 1, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Never in the history of the NBA has a player received a max contract when they played in less the 25% of prior regular season. As much of a Gilbert support I am, I say let him go. He is not worth it. No injury player is worth the max. The only team that are bitting are desprate teams trying to put fans in the stands."

This is how I feel with one addition: Gil really messed up the Wiz in the playoffs this past season.

It's really hard for your coach to game plan when you don't know if a guy is even going to play or not. Gil never told EJ that he was coming back, he just suited up and Jordan only found out through the media.

He also never told EJ that he was shutting it down for the season, and again Jordan found out through the media. Gilbert really hurt his team by doing this. It was very selfish on Gil's part, no other way to look at it.

If he goes, then he goes. I'm sure Mr.Polin wants to find out how loyal Gilbert really is because that's the kind of guy Mr.Polin is.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 1, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If he wants to win, Arenas should learn to be less cocky and less greedy.
He's not worth a maxed out, 124 Million deal...especially not after coming off TWO knee surgeries!

Posted by: VC | July 1, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 10:37 AM
Agreed...I don't like the "Cheapo" route either. I wish Abe would just say "Screw it, lets win!"

Posted by: Prison Balls | July 1, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

We'll never get LeBron... He wants to be a "Global Icon" and that will only happen in N.Y.

Posted by: Scoop | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

If you want a team to go over the luxury tax, go root for the Knicks, or hold your breath till Ted takes over.

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"But IF a sign-and-trade were to happen, how would Ellis/Biedrins/picks not work out #s-wise and player-wise?"

Don't know about money-wise, but player-wise it's not an upgrade. Ellis is an undersized SG with a slight frame. He puts up nice numbers in Nellie's pedal-to-the-medal full-court offense, but in a more half-court offense like the Wiz run, he'd have a harder time getting shots and his deficiencies as a defender and outside shooter would be even more exposed. Beidrens is a solid energy who runs the floor well but, like Ellis, his abilities are best suited to an uptempo helter-skelter team. He has no real offensive skills in a half-court offense, and much of his rebounding and defense is predicated on his ability to use his quickness to beat his man down court in transition. In a half-court set, his undersized frame (230 lbs) would take a pounding in the paint against Cs and big PFs.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Wayne is spot on. Other players have gone the no agent route in the paste, but that didn't mean they weren't getting advice. These guys have lawyers, business managers, financial advisors, etc.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:04 AM "

Ummm, don't give Gilby more credit than he deserves.

Gilby can thank Ivan for telling him that for him to opt out, his papers needed to be submitted much earlier than June 30...like 1 week ahead.

If Gilby had advisers (besides the ones that hang out by the pool and get dry cleaning and fried chicken for him), it shouldn't take a beat reporter to tell him the ins and outs of league rules.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for keeping Arenas - at any cost. But IF a sign-and-trade were to happen, how would Ellis/Biedrins/picks not work out #s-wise and player-wise?

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 11:04 AM

Monte Ellis is coming off a good year so is Biedrins and both are going to ask for more $$$ (contract year). Both Ellis and Biedrins combined will give a contract of $20mil. If we were to do that and get a draft pick it will not amount to what Arenas gives us and that will only tell our fans we arent promising anthing this year but look out for us in years to come.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The only thing that worries me is Gil's quirky and erratic personality. Let's not forget he decided to come her to Washington over a coin toss...after t he Clippers offfered him more money.

On the surface, it looks like he will remain a Wizard. With B.D. opting out, Golden State's roster looks like stir fried doo doo.

Remember, Gil has said repeatedly that he intends to re-sign with a contender. What the hell are the Warriors contending for in the Western Conference??? His best shot is here with the Wiz.

I think a big key to next season is more minutes for Andray Blatche. This kid has got to see more minutes,,,they sky's the limit for him. How long is Blatche extended until? Anyone know the details of his contract?

PS. Caron does not have a player option.

Posted by: Bleezo | July 1, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Only 6 teams go over the luxury tax, its ridiculous to call Abe cheap when 80% of the owners in the league don't exceed the luxury tax, especially when he built a the downtown arena out of his own pocket. If you don't think that matters, ask Seattle fans how its working out for them trying to fund a public stadium.

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 11:12 AM "

Dude, you are seriously dense.

If you want players, you don't offer up max and then beg your max player to take less because "otherwise, we're limited on what we can do." Why should this max player take less money so that the owner can get the lux tax welfare check?

Also, let's get off the "Abe paid for the VC out of his own pocket" tired speech.

Abe is a real estate magnate. He didn't throw 250 million into a black hole when building the MCI Center. That joint hosts like 216 events throughout the year, making bank. It was an investment.

It was funny how a few years ago, another notoriously cheap guy, Bob Johnson, called Abe out as cheap and offered to buy the Wiz.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

He is not worth $100 mil if he is
a cheerleader from the bench
they should let him go or sign him for $80

Posted by: Tommy | July 1, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

"Monte/Biendris and a draft pick for Gilly would be a complete STEAL. Ill even take the bums from sactown or the clips over Arenas. Anything but a maxed out Arenas.

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 11:16 AM "

I agree, and the Wiz could probably make them throw in a few more draft picks.

The funny thing is that EG has put the onus on Gilby. Put your actions where your words are.

He signed AJ, and Gilby said he would take what's left. If Gilby walks and refuses to take maybe 4 mil less, then that would expose Gilby for the fraud that he is.

That protects EG and the franchise by throwing it out there that he has offered Gilby max, but the onus is on Gilby to take less if he wants the team to be better.

Gilby could throw another hissy fit and walk. He usually does things he thinks of, not what others suggest to him, so that he can take credit for the brilliant idea.

I'll bet EG had the PR moles working by exposing the fact that the Wiz will ask Gilby to take less than the max offered...for the team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

EG SUCKS AS GM???

1. SIGNED ARENAS (3 TIME ALLSTAR)
2. TRADED CRISTIAN LAETTNER (where is he now) Jerry Stackhouse (wtf) and Devin Harris (career trade bate) for Antawn Jamison (20 and 10. 2 time all star)
3. Traded Kwame Brown (what can I say that hasnt already been said) for CARON BUTLER (2 time allstar) and CHUCK ATKINS (who gives a F...)
4. JUAN CARLOS NAVARRO (DCMANN88'S CHOICE OVER STEVENSON) FOR A CONDITIONAL FIRST ROUNDER

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO DO FOR YALL TO ACCEPT HIM. THIS IS NOT 2K8 BASKETBALL FOLKS THIS IS THE NBA!!!

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, either. I'm not saying Ellis/Biedrins would be an upgrade over Arenas. I'm just saying that IF Arenas was wanting to walk, and IF the Wiz were able to broker a deal, then Ellis/Biedrins/Pick(s) would be a nice little compensation package. Both are very young and still developing as players. Both are also considerably productive (not Arenas-productive, but considerable none-the-less).

Biedrins is an upgrade over Songaila, Etan, and Blatche (for right now), and would be a great energy player in the front-court.

Ellis is easily an upgrade over Stevenson, and with Arenas gone, he could fill the role of the 3rd of the big-3 offensively. And I could see him transitioning to the 1 eventually (in fact if Baron Davis leaves, I bet this happens in Golden State).

This hypothetical sign-and-trade would leave us with the same team we had last year PLUS two more young and (more importantly) productive talents. And money-wise, these two won't combine to make what Gil will get in his contract. It would actually help to free up cap space for other FAs.

That said, I still would take Arenas over the two of them. Just throwing out my only acceptable scenario for letting Gil leave.

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Do you all even follow the NBA news? GS plans to BUILD their TEAM around Monte Ellis.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:19 AM
"Tired speech"?

What is your point? The fact that Abe Pollin is not another corporate welfare recipient is a GOOD thing.
So what if Pollin is a good investor, does that make him any less of a good DC citizen? DC needs to remember this ALWAYS, EVERYDAY when dealing with the likes of the Lerners.
Building the phone booth revitalized that part of the city. Or isn't that the whole point of bringing professional sports to a city center, bringing more business, more jobs and spreading the wealth around?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

STOP WITH THE MONTE ELLIS, BIEDRENS AND DRAFT PICK FOR ARENAS!!!

THAT IS B.S.

"Dont get me wrong Monte is a very good player but he wont amount to 29 and 6 and Biedrins will add to a log jam of "big" men that we already have."

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Plain and simple I would love to see Brand and B Diddy here you can have Gaymason who plays zippy defense and would rather shoot 3's then bang down low and my former fav player Agent Zero. As hard as it is to say that I want to win and go further than maybe the 2nd round of the playoffs. We need some toughness around here. If you put Brand, Tuff Juice, and B diddy together with a couple decent role players we could give the Celtics a run for their money!!! Just my thoughts I know it could never happen but one could dream...

Posted by: He-botched-It | July 1, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Washington Post loves the 88er.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The coin toss story was debunked months ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Abe Pollin didn't back down to MJ, so I doubt he will with Agent Zero if he wants a commitment to go over the luxury tax . The Wiz have lived up to their word in re-signing Jamison as GA demanded and then offered him the max. At this point, GA needs to make a commitment to the Wiz organization or go elsewhere. I used to be a big fan of GA, but lost a lot of respect after his disrespecting EJ and then making demands that AJ be resigned or he was leaving. Is he running the organization or Ernie Grunfeld?

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 1, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Dude, you are seriously dense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:19 AM

Would you rather have Bob Johnson? He sure has made Charlotte a helluva franchise. How many years has he made the playoffs? How many years has he even come CLOSE to the luxury tax? He only spent 14.5 million less than Abe last year...

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"And money-wise, these two won't combine to make what Gil will get in his contract."

In order for a trade to happen the salaries on both sides must be equal (within 15%).

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wayne from Bowie

He has to win in the playoffs and not max out our salary cap on players that don't deserve it. Oh yeah and learn how to draft. If signing allstars and making it to the 1st round of the playoffs is all you want then half the GM's in the league are amazing.

It doesnt matter EG/EJ have ruined the team now for years to come and will both be fired either at the end of this season or next.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

If there is a monte/Biendris/1st round pick even being mentioned EG better jump all over it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I AM A WIZARDS FAN BEFORE I AM A FAN OF ONE PERSON SO WITH THAT BEEN SAID IF ARENAS WANTS TO GO THEN LET HIM GO...NO SIGN AND TRADE FOR MONTE ELLIS AND BIEDRINS!!! WHY DO THAT WHEN YOU HAVE JOSH SMITH, ELTON BRAND, B DIDDY, AND OKAFOR OUT THERE.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Arenas wont ever average that again either...especially after the knee surgeries. Arenas isnt even the best player on the team and we are giving him max money. EG is the dumbest GM in the league. Dont ever want to hear about how great he is ever again.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"I might be dense, but you can't read. You copy and paste peoples comments and act like they said something different. What did I say about contracts? NOTHING.

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 11:37 AM "

I did read.

You heaped glory all over Abe for his money spent on VC. It was a great business investment by Abe to make more money....it wasn't some act of like Bill Gates who's going to give his fortune away or Jack Kent Cooke to give his money away for scholarships.

I didn't say anything about wanting Bob Johnson. I said it's sad when a cheap guy calls out another cheap guy as being cheap...hilarious.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

good point wayne but we would only be able to get one of them if we sign and trade with the warriors we can get 2 for 1 and probably a draft pick. Also wouldnt mind trying to steal Brandon Wright.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The core group of the Big Three can take us to the championship. I am sick of hearing how people say we can't get out of the first round of the playoffs. We don't have a playoff problem, or for that matter, a Cleveland problem. Why? Each of those three times, we lost plain and simple because we didn't have home-court advantage. We didn't have homecourt advantage because our starters went through long stretches of injury during the regular season.

At this point, I'm convinced that getting a #4 seed or higher is a lock for moving on in the playoffs. In the East, was there a single playoff series where the higher seed didn't win? So, instead of saying how we "choked" these past three years in the playoffs, realize that the odds were against us winning those series in the first place. I'd like to see Cleveland win a series against us when we've got home-court advantage before I'll concede that we can't go anywhere in the playoffs.

Get all three healthy, and we'll likely start winning our division. Have us seeded at #1 or #2 in the playoffs, and I think we'll make a deep run.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:37 AM

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

If the wizards ever want to be good they have to get a banger down low. They have to get a legit post presence or they will never be taken seriously....and no antawn jamison is not a legit post threat. Hes a soft jump shooter that has no real position. To soft for the 4 and to slow for the 3. He is a real nice guy and all and I love him but signing him was a bad move and signing Gil will be the final Dagger! Hopefullt Gils quirkiness works out for us here and he leaves otherwise we are screwed for years to come

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

If I'm Gilby, I'm thinking about making the biggest splash of all.

That means turning down a 125 mil contract with the Wiz and leapfrogging Baron Davis to play with Elton Brand in LA and to match up against my idol Kobe in LA and win a championship there.

That would be the ultimate for Gilby, to win a championship in LA and outgun his idol.

Go Gilby Go!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love my Wiz, Gil owes us nothing. We should offer him 120 million for 6 years because he has a 20 million per year offer on the table (supposedly from the Warriors). It's not Gil's job to 'work the cap' for the Wizards. His job is to secure as much money as he can get and then play hard on the court to justify it. Asking a guy to take less is nice and all but we shouldn't hold it against him if he says no and bolts. What Carlos Boozer did to the Cavs is wrong because he lied but there's nothing wrong with a guy taking the highest offer.

I know this attitude pizzes ppl off but it's the reality of the business. From a fan perspective, I hope he takes our offer and stays. Also, are we all arguing that Gil should take less just so that we can Re sign Roger Mason? Roger is decent but his presence or absence won't make much of a differenc on this team. If Gil demands the max, gets it, and we lose RM....so what. All it means is more minutes for one of our other players like NY (who need minutes in order to develop).
Wiz management has decided to shoot their wad with the triumverate of Gil, AJ, and CB. Let's accept it and move forward.

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, as a Wizards season ticket holder, explain in detail,where the money will be obtain from to pay Gilbert this unjustifiable salary? Should season ticket holders expect to pay more for tickets next year? There are two classes of people, rich and poor.

Posted by: KML | July 1, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think heaping glory isn't the best description, but if he is cheap, then so are most owners in the NBA.

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

..and I understand that the max to Gil limits our future flexibility. It means that if a PG gets hurt, we're in trouble. But all teams take chances at one position or another. No one is really 3 deep at any one position.

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"Does it have to be? Even when it's not in season, the rosters haven't been set, and both teams can fit the players under the salary cap? I'm not certain with logistics of trades in the NBA."

It doesn't have to be if one (or both) of the teams have an amount of cap that exceeds the salaries of the players they're taking back. The Wizards have no cap space, and if the Warriors have enough cap space that they could take on Arenas with a max deal and trade back less than a max money amount of salaries, then they'd also have enough cap space to sign Arenas to a max deal outright. In which case, why would they do a S&T?

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

That is incorrect. Caron Butler is signed through the 2010-11 season...

Posted by: Rook | July 1, 2008 10:37 AM

Actually, Caron signed a 5 year deal in 2005-2006 so if you count.... that means he is signed through 2009-2010. But with the opt out clause, he will be able to declare himself a free agent next offseason. He is big time underpaid and would command huge $$$ on the free agent market.

And all these talks about GS, Monta Ellis and Bierdens, B Davis......... getting both to agree to a deal since they are restricted would be difficult. Plus, there have already been reports of B Diddy going to Clipper town. He is 29 compared to Arenas who is 26. Davis is looking for a max deal, just like Arenas. Plus, he has never been able to lead a team. He was washed up a couple of years ago, until Nellie revived his career.

All these deals are of course speculation, you guys need to take it easy on each other. At the end of the day, Ernie is going to stick to his plan.

Arenas still could walk.... but if he is smart he will stay. Clips, GS and Kings are in the tough west. I mean GS won 48 games and still missed the playoffs. The East is up for grabs.... sorry Celtics fans but next year will be a wake up call. KG is a monster, but Ray and Pierce are getting older and slower. They wanted it bad this year, what is their motivation next year.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Monet and Biendris are both Restricted FA's so we can give them new deals and make the deals match or come close enough to pull off the trade."

Which would mean the Wiz would be splitting the cost of an Arenas max deal ($16 mil/yr, I believe) between the two of them. Which would be a very bad idea.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't say that Sacramento has nothing to offer. Any sign & trade involving Gilbert would have to include Martin and Artest and to me that would be a good starting point. It is something the Wizards should at least think about. Arenas for 6 years $124 million is too much in my view given his health questions.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"KG is a monster, but Ray and Pierce are getting older and slower. "

Pierce didn't look all that old and slow in the playoffs. in fact he was their best player throughout most of the playoffs.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

HOME COURT ADVANTAGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHY WE LOST.

The first year we faced Lebron 05-06 I admit we got beat straight up but Arenas (34 5 and 5) was the one keeping us in those games. The second time 06-07 we only had Jamison manning the fort. In 07-08 we got exposed because all that talk of we are better w/o Arenas and we got spanked and no Monte Ellis WOULD NOT have been the answer.

Like it or not Arenas IS THE ON COURT LEADER!!! He is the GO TO MAN.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

CRitch, read this:

---------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Why would Golden State give us Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins when they can sign Arenas outright and use their Bird Rights to sign Ellis and Biedrins?

That sixth year isn't that important.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 1, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

all this sign-and-trade talk isn't considering the fact that arenas would need to agree to the trade. maybe he'd want to go to sactown or gs with the teams they currently have, but why would he want to if we pillage each team of it's players?

sactown without martin would basically be arenas, artest, and miller. with no salary flexibility. that's not even close to winning team in the west.

without ellis and beidrins, golden state would be arenas, jackson, and harrington. that is not a better team than the wizards, and again, still in the west.

the only reason arenas would agree to be traded to either of those two teams is if he really wanted to be back on the west coast more than be a part of a winning team.

Posted by: JC | July 1, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If Arenas was so enamored of playing out West then he wouldn't have left G.S. to come to D.C. in the first place.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Caron/Jamison are the leaders of this team not GILBERT

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What time does Gilberts plane land? I just want him to say NO to the wizards so we can get this whole debacle over with. EG will be the luckiest GM in the world if Gil turns him down....he already lucked out bigtime when Larry turned him down. Unfortunately we werent so lucky with AJ

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

It makes me laugh sometimes how people make statements as if they know what the he@@ there talking about. EG turned this team around real bullets/wiz fans remember times like the 19 win season. So please miss me with the EG is the worst GM ever BS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe people are knocking Ernie G. He took the pile of crap left here after the Jordan fiasco and turned it into a consistent playoff team. He's stockpiling 7 footers who can run the floor and getting some fundamentally sound euro players. Finally, we have a team of good guys the fans can respect instead of the dirtbags we had before.

This may be his most challenging offseason yet. AJ is on the downside. How do you handle that? Arenas is coming off two knee ops and if anything seemed more bizarre and erratic last season than previously. EG is wide open to criticism no matter what he does. I think we're lucky to have him calling the shots.

Posted by: AAA | July 1, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 11:54 AM

And one question on the trading salary aspect, if the Wiz re-sign Arenas and trade him for less-than-equal salary value, doesn't that automatically work for them as far as getting under the salary cap? This is where I get confused.

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

It makes me laugh when all the homers act like EG is the best GM in the league when all he does is overpay for mediocore talent except Caron and can't get past the 1st round ever or get anyone in the draft to help the current team.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I did not know that each of you held a MD in Orthopedics.... why do you think that Gil will not be the same player. Injuries happen to all players. No one knows how Gil is going to recover. He does not have to be a 30 and 10 dime guy. That is why you have resigned Antawn and have Tough Juice. There was a reason why those two were chosen team capitans and Gil wasn't.

Gil is a max player. He is the franchise, he is the one that makes the "Daggers", talks smack about Kobe and King James, graces the cover of NBA Live and calls himself Hibachi. HE put fans in the seats and gives the Wiz someone other teams fear. Why do you think GS and Sac are willing to give him $20 mil per.

Agent Zero has not been given the chance in the playoffs the last two years. They will win the SE and play a lesser team like NJ, CHI or ATL in the playoffs.

Come on... this guy has proven every one wrong. He was chosen in the second round, chosen most improved player the first year as full-time starter, came to DC and has been to the all-star game each season he was healthy. Last year was a fluke. I hope he stays so he can prove all these haters wrong.

The Wiz have been injured every year they have made it to the playoffs. 2005 Antawn was injured in the Heat series. The next year, King James got all the calls and Damon Jones got lucky on a shot. 2007... not even a chance with Arenas and Butler injured.... and this year well both Caron and Gil were injured.

Everyone has to remember that this team was leading the East at the All-Star break in 2007. And that was without Haywood playing like he played last year. They have the talent to challenge for the East.

Money is money. Its not our money and Mr. Polin is willing to pay it to him.

Posted by: KeepArenasInDC08 | July 1, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

IF CARON AND JAMISON IS THE LEADER TELL THEM TO STEP UP IN THE PLAYOFFS. ARENAS WELCOMES THE CHALLENGE WHILE HIS ROLE PLAYERS DO WHAT THEY DO PLAY THEIR ROLE. IM NOT SAYING THEY DONT GET THEIR TEAM RIGHT IN THE LOCKER ROOM BUT A STAR HAS TO KNOW WHEN TO TAKE OVER ON THE COURT AND NOT THE LOCKER ROOM. CARON TOOK OVER IN GAME 5 BUT WAS ABSENT IN THE OTHER GAMES.

CARON AVG 18 AND JAMISON AVG 16 IN THAT SERIES...DONT TELL ME ABOUT LEADERS.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?'"

Wow DC man. Convincing. The Miami Heat.

I can't agree with you. It is not worth dumping all your chips in for one championship only to ruin your chances in the future. I'd rather have a team that is a perennial contender, one of few teams in the Eastern conference to make the playoffs four years in a row, than to blow it all in one big trade. See: Phoenix, Dallas, Miami.

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"They would trade for him for the same reasons he opted out for - because he wants to sign a 6-year contract. If that's his ultimate goal, then he has to re-sign with the Wizards first. And if another team is willing to take on his 6-year max salary (i.e. the Wizards, Kings) then GS would be forced to trade if they want him."

And, as JC pointed out, if the only way for him get that deal is for G.S. (which is already a lottery team) to gut their roster, then suddenly going there would likely lose much of its attraction for Arenas. The only way that move makes sense for Arenas is if he values money and living on the West coast more than winning. And, again, if that were true he never would have left G.S. to come to D.C. in the first place.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

KeepArenasInDC08---just look at the odds most of the players in the league that have had multiple knee surgeries either continue to be hampered by them or have their careers shortened by them.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

EG didnt overpay LARRY HUGHES DID HE??? LET HIM WALK..EG KNOWS WHO TO KEEP.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Curious why we want to keep Gil, Jamison, Butler when the past 3 years we haven't gotten out of the first round. Given the extensions, it may mean 4 more years of losing in the first round. I love Jamison and Gil as good guys in the DC, but they are lacking defense. Plus, given Gil's shoot first mentality (means not maximizing Jamison/Butler), I would rather let him go and use that money on a major fwd/center guy - like Brand. I would keep Daniels as the point guard. He is serviceable and will get the ball to Jamison/Butler/Brand. This has a better chance to win in the playoffs.

Posted by: sanjay | July 1, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wayne and the year Gil missed FT's to end the series against the cavs...Im guessing that was what you call star leadership.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Gil was a max player two years ago, but right now you can't say after the last two seasons. The injuries change that position. We can't be sure Arenas will be the player he was in 2005, 2006, so why should Wizards pay him as if he was the player he was in 2005, 2006.

Posted by: George Templeton | July 1, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Ernie, if GA does not live up to his committment to take less to help the team sign a solid veteran FA this year, who would make a difference, then please do a sign and trade with the Warriors. I love GA's points and swagger but am tired of his childishness and selfishness. I believe AJ has essentially said the same thing--which probably represents what the rest of the team is thinking. A sign and trade involving GA for the Warrior's Ellis and Biedrins seems like it would be a great compliment to CB and AJ.

Posted by: oddjob | July 1, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I am with you KeepArenas... And I hope JaVale arrives as a player sooner than planned too! This could maybe just maybe work.

Posted by: khrabb | July 1, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

DC Is Lebron's 2nd favorite city ahead of his hometown but behind NYC. Bron Bron will be a Brooklyn Net so hes not coming here. JAy Z already has this deal locked up and it is much of the reason he is a Nets partial owner.

Posted by: Aaron | July 1, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey you know what youre correct but that is the one bad playoff moment I can remember. Is that the same game Arenas hit a 35 foot 3 pointer to even get them to the playoffs??? How about the game winner against the bulls to take the series???

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Hes a soft jump shooter that has no real position. To soft for the 4 and to slow for the 3. He is a real nice guy and all and I love him but signing him was a bad move"

Dear Anon:

AJ has defensive deficiencies in that he is too small to effectively guard offensive-minded 4s and does not have the lateral mobility to stay with 3s, but he is NOT "soft." "Soft" players don't average double-digit rebounds. There were only a handfull of "20-10" guys in the league last year. AJ was one of them, and thus was worth what he got paid.

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 1, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:25 PM

I MEANT THE 3 POINTER THAT TOOK THEM TO OVERTIME

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Randy Ayers he helped the defficiencies of EJ so the team defense was a little better than the past.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

EG didnt overpay LARRY HUGHES DID HE??? LET HIM WALK..EG KNOWS WHO TO KEEP.

No EG counter-offered and luckily Larry turned him down and went to the cavs. Otherwise we would still be paying that bum a huge amount of money and Caron would have never been a wizard. EG sucks his only good move was the Caron move. He is in the process of ruining the team as we speak.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Can you clear up how staying under the luxury tax benefits the team as a whole? Some members insist that it goes straight into the owner's pockets.

Chris

Stalin said a falsehood repeated often enough becomes the truth.

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I wish someone would do a little creative thinking here. The Wiz are spending all this money just to stay average or barely above average.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Why would you give max money to Gilbert? We proved last season we can get the same playoff seed and have a better record without him. Also he is coming of multiple knee surgeries. Every game he played in during the playoffs the team lost all chemistry and we lost those games except the one he played like 7 min. Its unbelievable how anyone could think Gil is the answer and this guy is going to get us to the promised land. Once we give him max money we are basically going to become the philly AI team. GOODBYE Playoffs, goodbye EG, goodbye EJ....Hello Rebuilding!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:13 PM

Well I think his value of money had something to do with his switching coasts and coming to DC. I don't think it would be so far-fetched to see him do it again.

Anyway, I know this is highly speculative and unlikely. Just goes to show you why letting Arenas leave is much harder value-wise than most people here wish to think through.

Posted by: psps23 | July 1, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The coin toss story was debunked months ago.

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 11:35 AM

Exactly, Gil said he was only joking about the coin toss to create a story - and everyone bought it and then some! lol

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

rbpalmer----have you ever watched a wizards game????????? AJ is one of the softest players in the league!!!!!! His whole game is finess. He shys away from contact any chance he gets. All his little trick shots are to avoid contact. As for his rebounds none of them are ever tough fought out rebounds. There are a lot of homers on here but good lord if you cant see jamsion is soft you have completely lost it. Jamison is as soft as pudding

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

George Templeton-Gil was never a max player. Max players get you past the 1st round, get teammates involved and play D.

Gil does none of those and never did.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Well I think his value of money had something to do with his switching coasts and coming to DC."

Not really, since G.S. basically offered him the same money the Wizards did.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

While we're talking about sugeries Baron did have knee sugery too and Elton Brand just coming back from achilles injury/surgery.

The difference is those guys are 30 and Arenas is 26.

Posted by: Wayne from Bowie | July 1, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank you good post Im happy to see someone on here has some common sense and has taken the home blinders off

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Wayne. We need Gil here and he's the main reason we've been successful. rbpalmer, Good to give AJ his due but unfortunately, those stats mask some real deficiencies like you pointed out. He's as tough as they come but he's playing out of position. Has anyone ever tried to play him at the 3? Ppl tend to talk about how he'd get beat off the dribble, etc. but what his man trying to guard him?

Posted by: mark | July 1, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Correction, it was the Clippers who offered Arenas a deal similar to the Wizards back in '03, not the Warriors. but the point still stands: if the lure of playing out West was so great he would have taken that offer instead of coming to D.C.

Posted by: kalorama | July 1, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Why would you give max money to Gilbert? We proved last season we can get the same playoff seed and have a better record without him."

And right now, there's no better superstar player on the market than Gilbert. No, Baron Davis is not as good as Gilbert.

And it's a bit early to claim that Gilbert will hurt the team by playing the same game he played two years ago. The team grew up and learned how to play better ball. Gilbert showed glimpses that he can learn to play with his teammates and leave some of the ballhog tendencies everyone claims he has. Odds are he has learned by watching the team play this season.

A lot of our losses last season happened because Jamison had a bad shooting night, Caron was out/had a bad shooting night. Having another consistent shooter who can pick up that slack can only help.

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Mark-jamison not tough at all completely soft. The Entire wizards roster is soft besides Caron and Gil if he comes back. Jamison without a doubt top 10 softest players in the league

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Huh?? Wiz offer more then $24 million than warriors? After missing almost 2 years due do a knee injury? Welcome to crazyworld.

Posted by: crazyworld | July 1, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"So can't it be argued then that all we need to add to our current squad is one superstar player?

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 12:44 PM "

Have you ever watched Wiz ball?

When Gilby is in the game, the chemistry of the team takes a turn for the worse.

With this 12 mil (in the past) player in the lineup, you end up with a different team, but identical results...not better results.

Do you pay 125 mil for glimpses of team chemistry?

Do you buy an engagement ring for your girlfriend if she dressed in a burka and you've never seen more than her hands?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

EG > DCM+10000000000000000

Posted by: DCM is an idiot | July 1, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@DC Man,

I remember that story, and honestly, I have no idea how Wizards team meals compare to other teams meals, nor will I pretend to. I know you can take a tour of the locker room on NBA.com, and it looks pretty nice to me, but again, I haven't been in any teams locker room so I can't compare.

I've never heard anybody else on the team, or in the league, talk about the Wizards locker room being under-funded. Maybe it is. Maybe Ivan or Mike Lee can give us an idea of how they stack up. I know Dallas is always said to have the best stuff, softest robes, etc, but they haven't been out of the first round in 2 years either (maybe thats why Dirk is so soft?).

My only point is that people saying "Abe is cheap because he won't touch the luxury tax threshold" isn't valid. Very few owners are willing to pay the luxury tax.

He easily could have built another stadium in Landover and it would have been way cheaper. I appreciate that he spent the extra dollars on having a downtown arena, so I don't have to drive to Landover. Even if it means the Wizards don't get lobster for pregame meals.

Posted by: CRitch | July 1, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Brand and Jamison would not work together. You would have to have one or the other. Or play Caron at the 2 and then whooo... stevenson at guard. Why are y'all sweating MASON. ROGER MASON... are you kidding? I'd rather have daniels play than mason. let mason go. I dunno... this team is weird. they just need to stop having huge vaginas and start playing like they can.

Posted by: Bob | July 1, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I love Gilbert's game and I think he can help the wizards win. However, I don't think they should offer him the max for 3 reasons:
One, His injury is permanent, I am talking about the one in his brain where he can't seem to shut his mouth. Two, after his reabilitation he still stank. and three.. He is not worth 124 million..nobody is..

Posted by: AintGonLieBoi | July 1, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Need a big dude but we just have so many little girls on our team. Haywood, Blatche. I actually like Songaila. I dunnno... need to get rid of Haywood. He has brick hands. Get Okafor. Sign and trade somebody. anybody. i dunno. Guards are good I think. Nick Young will be the next coming of Kobe Bryant next year.

Posted by: Bob | July 1, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Two things:

1) Let Gilbert go, In my opinion he is not all that, with half that money the Wizards could get another player of the same caliber. Additionally, we have Caron and Jamison, along with the other team members who performed great last year without Gilbert. What we need is a center, a dominant center, because we already have several like Gilbert Arenas plus once he decided he wants to opt out then he is no longer good, he is just another greedy ball player with no loyalty.

2) Coach Jordan needs to give younger players more opportunity, he will only play the good players and forget about developing the team, that is part of the Wizards problem, Jordan does not utilize his full team personnel properly.

Posted by: Aldo | July 1, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Team chemistry? The chemistry on the team is not worse with a healthy Gilbert. His health is a big question though. The fact is the whole team was improved. Haywood improved, not due to Arenas being out but because he Haywood worked hard. Blatche improved a lil. So did Roger Mason. Remember Donnell Taylor? Who would rather have Jarvis over Nick Young? Not me. I like DeShawn better than Jared. Or do we want Mike Ruffin back as a replacement for Songaila? On those teams, who would you rather shoot BESIDES Gilbert, Antawn, and Caron? I don't think Gilbert would need to BALLHOG like in the past. Nor do I think he wants to.

Posted by: G-Man | July 1, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 1, 2008 12:38 PM

I've seen a LOT of Wizards/Bullets games, probably over a much longer period of time than you have. I've seen enough to know that (1) Jamison's "little trick shots" are not to avoid contact, but to keep from getting them put back in his face by the (usually) larger players that he has to shoot over down in the paint (which is where a lot of his points come from). If he's trying to avoid contact, he isn't doing a very good job of it, since there were only 29 players in the entire league who were fouled more than he was last year. (2) You can't average double-digit rebounds over an entire season without getting some "tough, fought out rebounds." And you can't be a "soft player" if you spend enough time hanging around in the paint with the big boys to score a bunch of points and grab a bunch of rebounds down low. Jamison was one of only 5 "20-10" guys in the leagus last year, and you think that "signing him was a bad move?" I think that you're the one who's lost it.

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 1, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

While I was very negative towards the Wiz after draft day I'm pretty happy right now. They have one of the best PFs in the league back on the team, and Gil will come back and be healthy since he has decided to take the fact that he is injured and needs to rehad seriously. However, I don't think a deal will get done before China. I think Gil will like the K and money, but somehow won't take it before China. This would purely be for Gil's personal entertainment in making people wait until he gets back before he makes things official. Fine with me. He's going to re-sign with us now that we have Jamison. In the meantime we can make a run a getting Mason back, who would probably get the best deal from us anyway. A back-court of a healthy Gil, Daniels, Stevenson, Young, and Mason is great. Then the only question is the post. I say try and trade some of these projects and picks to get a true banger in the post to back-up Jamison and Haywood. Or, keep status quo going into the year, stay health, and then if Blatche and Pech are not turning the corner then make a trade mid-season to revamp the reserves at 4 and 5. Someone is going to be available, like maybe Marcus Camby who will be on a team that might make the playoffs but knows its one and done so they want something to help prepare for next season (a pick, or maybe a player like Pech who could very well turn the corner with another year under his belt). In the end, Ernie is doing good with free agency. Remember, w/the Big Three healthy we can and have been #1 in the East before.
Oh, btw, no more LeBron in DC talk. The point is to win NOW, not in 2 years. Someone like the Knicks who are completely changing can think about LeBron but not us. That would just be stupid (LeBron himself said it was ridiculous for people to be thinking about him in 2010, and I bet he ends up back in Cleveland anyway).

Posted by: mcgratsp | July 1, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Have you ever watched Wiz ball?

DC Man.
Yes I watched Wiz ball. And I noticed that this team, without Gilbert, is far better than they were last year without gilbert.

but you haven't seen them play with gilbert in over a year, except for a smattering of games here and there. So you have no idea what the chemistry will be like next year with an improved squad and a healthy gilbert.

you can speculate, but you can't know.

and thanks for admitting to Kobe being your man. At least we finally know where your loyalties lie and why you're so negative about our team.

Posted by: Chris | July 1, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Dude, chemistry goes out the window especially after a long layoff coupled with not having much chemistry to begin with.

Kobe is Gilby's hero, not mine.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 1, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

BinLaden > DCM88+100000000000000

Posted by: DCM is an IDIOT | July 1, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Do you want to find a online friend to talk about sports? I am the right girl you are looking for, you can reach me at a single club called---- ++++ UKinterracialmatch . c o m +++++ ---- there are so many black & white singles there.

Posted by: alice | July 1, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alice | July 1, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

We love Agent Zero over here in the BAY AREA!!!!!!!! and now that BD is gone to the clippers, we'll miss him badly, but we would love to have Gil instead!!!!!

Posted by: Grind299 | July 2, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

pls go to the warriors gilbert PLEASE!!

Posted by: dan | July 2, 2008 4:04 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert loved the fact that Golden State gave him a chance (in the draft). Remember when his contract with GS was up and they could only pay him the mid-level exception for year with the promise of a big contract? yeah, in a matter of seconds Gilbert was out.... and for what reason? MORE MONEY! If the Wizards can't offer the max, then Baron Davis will now be known as Agent Zero's temporary replacement because he'll be back in the bay!

Posted by: romez | July 2, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse