Some Thoughts On Team USA

Allow me to reintroduce myself - again. I haven't stepped inside the blogosphere for a long, long time for a myriad of reasons, but I didn't want to go much longer because, well, it might be a long time before I come back into this space again.

I'm heading off to China on Thursday morning to cover the Olympics, with most of my time focused on USA Basketball. I have been pretty adamant that I think this team will win the gold medal in Beijing.

For the first time since 1992, the U.S. can say that its roster will boast the two best players in the NBA (LeBron James and Kobe Bryant) and the most efficient offensive player in international basketball (Carmelo Anthony). It also has an incredible second unit (which includes Chris Paul, runner-up for MVP, Dwyane Wade, former NBA Finals MVP, and Deron Williams, a second-team All-NBA player).

Raise your hand if you think the U.S. will win the gold medal. (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

I know some people say that the U.S. has had talented rosters before and failed in international competitions but I argue that the Americans weren't this loaded in 2002, 2004 or 2006. I am far more confident than I was in 2004 (when the US starting lineup included Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom and Stephon Marbury) and 2006 (when the starting backcourt was Kirk Hinrich and Joe Johnson).

In addition to talent, this team also has a group of extremely motivated and driven players who actually like each other. They've been together for the past three summers and respect what each player has to offer. Plus, with veterans like Bryant and Jason Kidd, the U.S. likely won't panic like it did in 2006.

Yes, the U.S. is the favorite, but don't forget about us!( Reuters)

Spain, the defending world champion in basketball, is having a banner year (Carlos Sastre won the Tour De France, it won the European soccer championships, Rafael Nadal won the French Open and Wimbledon) and will probably be the greatest challenger to the U.S. in Beijing. With the Gasol brothers (Pau and Marc), Jose Calderon, Wizards fan favorite Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez and - remember this name - Ricky Rubio, Spain certainly isn't lacking for talent. Argentina, the 2004 gold medallist, is welcoming back Manu Ginobili, and Lithuania should be in the mix as well.

That being said, you should feel confident about Team USA in Beijing - and genuinely shocked if it loses. Why, considering the past losses? Because this is the first time since 2000 that the Americans can honestly claim that they are sending their best. There really are no excuses this time around.

I thought I'd leave a few nuggets leftover from notebook after my trip to Las Vegas last weekend.

James on The Dream Team
LeBron James was the first member of Team USA to publicly guarantee that it will win the gold medal in Beijing, but he also said this team is going to try to get some Dream Team Love.

If confidence is a crime, then I am guilty. (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

James was just 7 when Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley and others smashed through the competition in Barcelona and helped NBA Commissioner David Stern place his stamp on the global market place.

When asked about the original/only Dream Team, James said, "As I look back on it, the '92 Dream Team was the best team that we've had so far. What they was able to do on a world stage was unbelievable."

A reporter then asked James, "The best team so far? Some people think that was the best team ever."

"They are the best team so far," James said, defending his comment. "You never know, another team could be better. You can't predict the future. You never know what could happen in 2016 or 2020 or beyond the years. You might find a team that you'd think was better than the first Olympic Dream Team. Then you'll have something to talk about."

Then the reporter asked James if this team plans on being as good as the 1992 team.

"We're going to try," James said.

Wade On His New Look
The reaction to Dwyane Wade's bald head has mostly been negative - if you ask Wade. But he has an explanation for abandoning his low cut for the shiny dome: He's afraid of the barbers in China.

I'm shining, y'all!( Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

"I'm not letting nobody cut my hair overseas. I'm sorry," Wade said. "I don't want to even worry about it. I'm not trying to look pretty. I'm strictly about basketball right now."

I asked Wade if he was going to let his hair grow out in China - like Vince Carter and Gary Payton did in Sydney in 2000. You guys probably don't remember Vince Carter with an Afro, do you? Anyway, Wade said he's going to keep cutting his hair whenever it gets unruly.

"This is my hooping look and anybody that don't like it - I don't care," Wade.

Kobe On Getting Old
Kobe Bryant turns 30 on Aug. 23 - the day before the gold medal game. He said that he doesn't feel like an old man just yet. "I feel younger this year than I did last summer," Bryant said.
Asked why, Bryant said, "I have no idea. I'm fine wine, baby."

Bryant did express some disappointment that he won't get to celebrate his milestone birthday with his daughters, Natalia and Gianna, who will be in the United States. "That'll be my first birthday away from my kids - obviously, since they've been born. Those are sacrifices we've made for our country," Bryant said, adding that it's good that he likes his teammates. 'They become your extended family. This is the summer where we make sacrifices, our families make sacrifices, in terms of being away from home and us banding together as brothers."

Michael Redd On Milwaukee
For those who read Gilbert Arenas's latest blog, you know that he is not a fan of the city of Milwaukee. Joking about the recent trade of his friend, Richard Jefferson, from New Jersey to Milwaukee, Arenas wrote, "Oh man, did I start laughing. You know why? Because every player hates Milwaukee. Nobody wants to live in Milwaukee. I'm sorry, Milwaukee, to come down hard on you, but no one in the NBA wants to play in Milwaukee."

Gilbert killed your city, man.( Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Redd was asked about Arenas's comments, but he refused to bite. "That's his opinion," Redd said. "I can't knock it. That's what he believes. That's all I can say"

I asked Redd if it bothered him that there is a perception that Milwaukee is a bad place to be. Again, he was very diplomatic. "It doesn't bug me," he said. "I like it in Milwaukee. The people are great. I've been there for nine years, so I don't have anything bad to say about it."

UPDATE: For the folks who don't remember when Vince Carter had a mini-Afro, check this out:

By Michael Lee  |  July 30, 2008; 10:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taking some time
Next: Site-Wide Blog Outage: Starting Today at Noon

Comments

I hope you come back when the USA doesn't win gold.

Posted by: Bart | July 30, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

FYI DCMOM88 is a punk ass!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

USA isn't winning gold. Why? Because they never win gold anymore, its not an issue of talent. Sure, the talent is better than last time, but the US had the overwhelming advantage in talent anyway and STILL LOST. This is about a system not about talent, the team with the most NBA'ers isn't a lock, this is a different game. Its like NFL players stepping into China to play other countries best professionals in arena football. Its the same game in essense, but not in practice.

Posted by: Jason | July 30, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tidbits Michael, keep em coming. Hope you can send in your stories and post from Macao and Beijing. Your hotel and the Olympic journalists areas should have wireless internet access.

Posted by: rgz | July 30, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

That was a clearly classy and mature response by Michael Redd. It makes Gilby look even more like a fool.

I guess Redd can take satisfaction that he's part of the Olympic team representing his country and Gilby is back at home jealously blogging about players who actually made the cut.

Gilby promised to stop blogging but obviously can't keep his yap shut about other NBA players that have absolutely nothing to do with his situation.

Not surprised.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Michael,

I would like to know whether the Team USA coaching staff is more serious this time about scouting the non-NBA players on opposing teams. In 2006, the European press was surprised at how little the American coaches knew about the Greek team, for instance. According to those reporters, comments from the American coaches about the strengths and weaknesses of the Greek players were not accurate.

Posted by: Foo Bar | July 30, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I agree that was a very immature statement by GA...he clearly still does have some growing up to do. Actions GA, not just words!

Posted by: oddjob | July 30, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Not surprised.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 11:01 AM

Posted by: Dave | July 30, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"...but then again, have you ever been to Milwaukee? I mean it actually does really suck there.

Posted by: oddjob | July 30, 2008 11:20 AM "

I'm sure it does, and who knows better than Redd? Redd doesn't need to be reminded.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"And you seem to hide behind the excuse that someone else brings the issue up but its you that always finds a reference to Gilbert Arenas without a prior mention of said player. Even with yesterday's blog from Ivan, lo & behold, there's a comment from you about a certain player without anyone even thinking his name, nice!

Posted by: Dave | July 30, 2008 11:22 AM "

I'm drawing parallels.....you don't seem to be able to note that.

Does someone need to break out the finger puppets for you?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Mike Lee blogs have the best photo captions on the internets. I'm real excited to see these guys in action in Bejing. Have fun over there Mr. Lee and hopefully the pollution doesn't make you sick!

Posted by: tmc | July 30, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Good call on Rubio. After hearing about him for so long I am really curious to see him play.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Clearly we don't remember Vince Carter with the "afro" in 2000, because we're not NBA experts!!!

Ugh.

Posted by: TMP | July 30, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree with TMP. I mean, he had the nappy mini-fro when he LEAPED OVER ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. I think there may be a few people who remember that, due to that highlight alone.

Just a hunch.

Posted by: Collin | July 30, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

DCasswart88,
I can think of a few things I'd like to do with some finger puppets. They involve Uranus.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

real surprise gilbert being immature. Good thing we gave him the keys to the franchise. He is going to drive this team into the ground and get a lot of people fired along the way.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"DCasswart88,

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 12:42 PM "

Only if your mom licks them clean afterwards.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who thinks this team won't win gold has lost thier mind. They would have won even with that pathetic team if Larry Brown didn't ruin the squad. If Larry Brown let the right players play and let them play their may instead of trying to implement his ridiculous system in a month they would have won gold. That team started marbury and odom and sometimes marion when lebron Dwade amare and dhoward were all sitting on the bench. That Bronze medal is all on Larry Brown as far as I am concerned. He choose a terrible squad and then expected them to learn and play his system in a month.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

GO TEAM NIKE. Bring back the gold for Phil Knight.

Posted by: pg posse | July 30, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey DCmom ...yahoo has pics of Gilbers new pool!!!! run along now!! tell us how awful it is when ya get back!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The 2008 team really does have a good shot as long as Dwight Howard stays (a) healthy and (b) involved in the offense.

Posted by: khrabb | July 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: washingtonian | July 30, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 1:15 PM

You can comment on Dan Steinberg's blog, he broke the story:

Posted by: wwFan | July 30, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere Gilbert Arenas cracked a smile seeing his name under this post...he then burst into tears.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 30, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I have a secret man crush on Gilbert...that's why I always hate on him. I just want to be close to him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert, continually creating bad karma for himself and the orgization. Thanks!

Posted by: Wizzy | July 30, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

It'll be great when someone reports that Gilbert apologized on his blog to Luol Deng about how wrong he was after all and how he should keep his opinions about other baller to himself.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, Gil wrote a blog because the people on his asian and european tour asked when he would write a new one. They also wanted him to mention his trip in the new blog. I enjoy the blog, and it's the NBA who has him writing it anyway. Furthermore, he's not the only player with a blog. Keep it coming Gil.

Posted by: washingtonian | July 30, 2008 1:24 PM "

Actually, it was reported that Gilby hires someone to type up his blog. Gilby just calls in what he wants posted.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi HATER

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

BTW, tell your mom I left her $5 fee on the kitchen counter. She can get a family sized Scope from Costco with that money to rinse out my residue.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Speaking of moms, isn't yours calling you about now? Get out of your basement and go take out trash, DCasswart88.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 3:41 PM "

LMAO!

$5 fee is obviously based on size, or lack there of.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

$5 fee: one cent per cubic centimeter.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"$5 fee: one cent per cubic centimeter.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 4:20 PM "

Then you wuz gyped by $4.99.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"Your mom didn't mind, 88. Tell her to call me when the elasticity is back in her cheeks.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 4:24 PM "

Your mom minded though...she still can't walk or talk.

Her gums were the best ever though...don't need teeth.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

grow up!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Gilbert, continually creating bad karma for himself and the orgization. Thanks!"

Yup, it's coming.

Enjoy that pool Gil because that's where you're going to be watching the Finals from since you took "considerably" less to help the team out.

Gil's such a great guy. :P

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 30, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Hi Hater...Hi Hater..you see me (Arenas)...Hi Hater

Posted by: Hat'in | July 30, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I love how Kobe paints himself as a martyr for missing celebrating his birthday with his kids -- these ""are sacrifices we've made for our country," Bryant said." Most Olympic athletes consider it the most incredible honor to compete in the Olympics. Kobe considers it grounds for his receipt of a Purple Heart. What an ego.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Mini-afro?

More like micro, or even nano afro.

It's hardly long at all, just looks different cuz he keeps it bald nowadays.

Posted by: MikeJS | July 30, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 3:26 PM

Where was it reported and when?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"$5 fee: one cent per cubic centimeter.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 4:20 PM"

This is exactly why people post anonymously...b/c they are stupid.

$5 = 500 cents

anonymous says "one cent per cubic centimeter."

cubic centimeters is a measure of volume

cube root of 500 cm^3 = 7.9 cm assumed stacked one on top of each other for max benefit of doubt.

7.9 cm = 3.1 inches long

LMFAO!

Stupid F'n anonymous dope!

Or, just a guy telling the truth.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Where was it reported and when?

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 5:55 PM "

WTEM...Mike Wise (aka Gilby's b!tch boy).

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck cares whether Gil actually "types" his blog or not? It's his words....even if he dictates to someone....which he has the $$$ to do. I imagine most of the NBA bloggers do the same thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

F**k Lebron

Posted by: prescrunk | July 30, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this but I dont think Team USA wont win the gold and they may not win any medals. Let look up at the make up of this team. They only have one true big man and that's Dwight Howard. Bosh and Boozer are more like PF instead of centers. Redd is the only pure shooter on the time. if he goes cold they make be in trouble. Lets face it the world has caught up with USA basketball. They play international ball all year around. We only play it when the olympics come around.

Posted by: Rock Star | July 30, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

And now for you real fans some NBA news THE SIXERS signed Kareem Rush, another cog in their quest to put a stranglehold on the eastern conference how will Ron Artest fit in with the Rockets? In my humble opinion this makes the sixers the favorite along with the celts with the addition of Rush. The Wiz will have a tough time getting out of the first round.I hate admitting that DAMN!!.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 30, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

88, your mom's throat is only 3.2 inches deep. I had just enough. Ask her.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Yup, the East is getting back to becoming a Beast...I mean Kwame's back. What else do you need to say.

Rush would have looked nice in a Wiz uniform. Artest too. Not sure what Ernie is planning...not much else this year I guess. Maybe he is just waiting until he can flush EJ, than go get that final 'BobbyD' piece that is missing from this team.

Btw, if you guys think Dook fans are intollerable now, just wait until TEAM USA wins the gold with coach Rat Face at the helm. I fear Dook fans will reach a new level of obnoxious...we may just have to start shooting them on sight.

Posted by: oddjob | July 30, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Nah, you guys will get beat up by Argentina again ... don't get your hopes up.

Posted by: Fernando | July 30, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Man D-Wade, it's not like your old 'do was that hard to cut. I'm sure they can handle it in Beijing. You sound like you're going into Siberia or something, where they'll try to hack off your hair with an ice pick.

Posted by: L | July 30, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

i see vin baker!

Posted by: sonics4ever | July 31, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"88, your mom's throat is only 3.2 inches deep. I had just enough. Ask her.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 8:56 PM "

Unfortunately for your mom, I removed her tonsils.

She's got great gag reflect tho, b/c she's a ho.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Though it would have been nice to get Artest, which all star forward would he have replaced? I would like to have seen him at the sf spot, forcing CB to the 2. We can forget about adding any forwards for the next few years, though. CB and Aj have the pt locked up. Folks here wanted Darrell Arthur, J Oneal and others but it was never considered probably.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Though I'm hesitant to pile on and criticize EG, did we consider a guy like Randolph Morris? He signed with the Hawks for the veteran minimum. He's only 22 years old and is 6'11" 260 with good size and skills. It seems to me that he would have been at least worth a look. It would have meant saying 'uh oh' to Pech possibly, though.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Here's Morris' scouting report coming out of college

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

"This blog is almost unrecoverable. Seems to be one main person's doing, too. Shame.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 7:16 AM "

markie, I'm sure you're not saying it's just me, b/c that would make you both blind and dumb.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I didn't mention any names but the assumption of guilt says a lot.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

i see vin baker!

Posted by: sonics4ever | July 31, 2008 12:17 AM

Where? Let me guess.....Hazelden? Promises? The corner ABC store? The alley behind the corner ABC store?

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

last guess...Rod Strickland's house?

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

500 cubic centimeters (30.5 cubic inches) is the volume of a cylinder two inches in diameter and 9.7 inches long.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

9.7 ? That's about right.

Posted by: original anon | July 31, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I think the U.S. loses at least twice in the Olympics and has no shot at gold.
The Europeans play too much team ball, have played together much longer then the U.S. players, and have egos that are 10 times smaller then the NBA players.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Posted by: dw | July 31, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

You anonymous guys are funny as hell !! ROFLOL

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

dw, I can't see any team beating this US team. I think we finally recognized that the European game (with big men doing the pick and pop thing) is something we need to adapt to and not the other way around. The insideout game that we play in the NBA doesn't work in intl. play because the fouls are not called the same way. Also, the 3 pointer leveled the playing field. Now we need to start using it to our advantage and defending it a little better. We have the team to do that. I see a sweep and margins of victory slightly less than what the original Dream Team had but still impressive.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Mark it down: Team USA will win gold in Beijing. It will not be a cakewalk and they might even lose a game but this team is special. Anyone who objectively watched them last summer (ostensibly the same team now just minus Mike Miller, Tyson Chandler and Joe Johnson) knows that this team isn't just talented--they're HUNGRY. They play defense. HARD. They don't just want to win, they want to embarrass the competition (I love that about this version of Team USA).

Team USA his a chip on its shoulder and we have three of the best players on the planet (Kobe, Lebron, and DHoward) plus Carmelo who is arguably the best scorer on the team. Please don't forget about Jason Kidd who is the absolute PERFECT PG for this team because he has a strong handle, exceptional court vision, he's still the best passer in the NBA, and doesn't care about scoring. Trust me folks, this will be the most dominant and enjoyable team to watch since 2000...

Posted by: Essex | July 31, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"9.7 ? That's about right.

Posted by: original anon | July 31, 2008 9:22 AM "

I doubt if your mom would even feel that, with her gaping holes.

"It's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway." - your mom

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"Also, everyone laments the lack of a true big man besides Dwight Howard on our team but we're probably better off without. Behemoths don't work anymore. IMO, Shaq in his prime would not have been as effective as a more mobile PF because they'd have fouled Shaq out with offensive charges.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 9:36 AM "

Uhhh, you're the only one lamenting a behemoth.

Okafor is 6-10, 252. Dwight Howard is 6-11, 265. Shaq is 7-1, 325+.

Nobody needs a "behemoth" to man the 4. I'd take a 4 who can play some defense and score. AJ is a tweener at 6-9, 235.

BTW, you'd better not say you wouldn't take Tim Duncan on this team b/c you'll look sillier than you always do.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I'm your straight brother. You oughtta stop talking about mom like that. Sounds like ur jealous of her hot dog. Fetch it and do your thing, little gay bro.

Posted by: DC Man69 | July 31, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I love hot dogs of all colors, shapes, and sizes.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't mention any names but the assumption of guilt says a lot.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 8:28 AM "

I think you missed the point, as usual, that it takes more than 1 person to have exchanges like these.

BTW, all of these "exchanges" come about when Gilby lovers can't dispute the facts as presented about Gilby, so they just take out their frustration by targeting me.

Funny as hell, and expected.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sagaliba | July 31, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

...and I actually think that 'hoping that Nick Young steps up' is a decent strategy.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Sounds to me like the obvious weak link is SG. What did we do to shore up that position? Uhhhhh...nuttin' unless you consider 'hoping that Nick Young steps up' doing something. Pretty amazing that we could have 4 out of our 5 starters ranked in the top 10 at their positions. It's a trubute to Ernie, actually.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 10:57 AM "

Why don't you save the tributes for when the team has actually won something.

Since someone is gathering the stats, why not do a comparison of those dudes last season, to the season before that, when Gilby was playing.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

..deafening silence in response to certain remarks....

Congrats, folks. It took a while but I think we finally all bought into ignoring certain "elements" and keeping the conversation focused on basketball.

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"..deafening silence in response to certain remarks....

Posted by: mark | July 31, 2008 12:45 PM "

I think you deserve a tribute, actually.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Funny as hell.

The Wiz need a guy like this on the team.

Imagine the next time LeBron cries to the refs, turns around, and then gets punk'd by Artest.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Essex | July 31, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"So what about Team USA? Anyone? These posts always devolve into random smack talk and the Wizards? Every. Single. Time. Michael Lee posts about Team USA or other (non Wizards) NBA news and after a few well intentioned posts, folks get right back to trash talk and the Wizards. Not criticizing but I would like to read about what folks think about Team USA instead of Nick Young or "Gilby."

Posted by: Essex | July 31, 2008 3:02 PM "

Did the Olympics start already? Who cares about exhibition games.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Did the Olympics start already? Who cares about exhibition games.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 3:22 PM

Your mom. OOOOHHHH SNAP!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Your mom. OOOOHHHH SNAP!!

Posted by: | July 31, 2008 3:27 PM "

Yo momma!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rgz | July 31, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"mark, a big IF- if any of the international teams have good tall centers and PFs (and good coaches) they will clog up the lane and frustrate the heck out of LeTravel and not allow anyone else to drive or run smack into them. I sure hope Michael Redd and Kobe Bryant are on fire every night.

Posted by: rgz | July 31, 2008 3:49 PM "

With CP's ability to dribble penetrate and pass....I expect easy buckets. It's not like Gilby's "running the point."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Mark, I agree with you: this USA team is going to thrash the competition in a way we haven't seen in years. Your analysis of the why is right on. It's going to be a beautiful team to watch.

Posted by: Prazak | July 31, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"And it's easy enough to scroll past entries and ignore those that are posted by people you regard as a nuisance. Nobody says you have to read every post.

Posted by: Prazak | July 31, 2008 4:25 PM "

I couldn't agree more.

The best thing about today is China b-ball getting thrashed.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

USA Team 8:00 ESPN 2, repeat of early game vs Turkey.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 31, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

"According to Hollinger, Butler ranked 3rd in SF, Jamison #8 in PF, Haywood #9 in C, AD #29 in PG (Gil is not ranked becuase he did not play enpough games lat season), and Stvenson #38 in SG. Blatche also ranked #22 as C."

This is the same Hollinger who predicts the Wizards are going to finish below .500 and/or miss the playoffs every year? It's funny how selective people can be about listening to someone based on whether they do or don't like what's being said.

Posted by: kalorama | July 31, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

He seems prejudiced against the Wiz and doesn't look at his own stats when he makes predictions.

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

rgz, I like the fact that we made sure that we have spot up shooters on this team. Redd and Miller alone will make the 'lane cloggers' pay. This is why I thought Gil would have been good for this team (water under the bridge now). He didn't need to create as much as hit an open jumper.
There will be games when the "Chosen One's" jumper or Wade's jumper or Kobe's jumper is off. Fortunately, I can't see a game where they are ALL off. It's not like when Hersey Hawkins got hurt and we had no shooters left on the team.
Seem like the guys that hurt the Europeans are 6'8" forwards with a handle. Melo (and Paul Pierce in previous years) seems to be unstoppable. I don't think offense will be a problem. The only qquestion is whether our bigs can step out and challenge outside shooters. I think the answer is yes.

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse

"Yep. That's why I preface any comment about Hollinger with the word 'Boob'. I don't usually like what he says but I can't find any other objective systems out there that rate player efficiency. I usually ignore his predictions and look at his rankings from actual stats from the previous years.

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 7:07 AM "

But what have the Wiz done to prove him wrong?

You say Hollinger is prejudiced against the Wiz, but you also freely admit that you're a Wiz fanatic.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Wizards/Olympic Basketball news.
Darius Songaila playing with Lithuania is out of the Olympics because of a back injury. He has returned to the US and doctors recommend rest for a couple of weeks. See
www.talkbasket.net/news/songaila-out-of-olympics.html

Posted by: Joe C | August 1, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

No surprise there. It's time for a forced retirement/injury settlement for Darius. We need the roster spot. I think it would still count against the cap, though. I seem to remember Allan Houston counting even after retirement.

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Wizards/Olympic Basketball news.
www.talkbasket.net/news/songaila-out-of-olympics.html

Posted by: Joe C | August 1, 2008 8:44 AM "

The curse of Les BouleS is alive and well and follows players wherever they go....be afraid, very afraid.

And you wonder why guys like Cuban don't like their foreign players playing for their countries.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Note to EG: Please make a trade for Artest now.

---------------------------------------------

"Artest expounded on his conversation with Yao in a broadcast appearance later Thursday on ESPN's "Pardon The Interruption," revealing that he asked McGrady for Yao's number.

Said Artest: "When I spoke to Yao, I just said, 'Everything's going to be all right, I really know how to play the game, I'm not a selfish player, I can adapt to any type of system and I can't wait to be part of the Houston Rockets.'

"I was a little bit disturbed, mainly because [of] the brawl comments. That's four years removed from now, maybe four or five years removed ... I wanted [Yao] to know I was a little bit frustrated, but I understand where he's coming from. But I cannot wait to be a part of that team. I don't care if I have to come off the bench. I could be the sixth man, a seventh man, all I want to do is just really contribute and win a lot of games.""

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

well USA easily beat Lithuania 120-84. I could swear there were times when the Lithuanian frontcourt was taller than ours, though their guards look shorter. The stats look good, 64% FG! against Lithuania's 41%, though free throws were 62% (13 pts)vs. Lithuania's 81% (22pts).
Assists in our favor 34-16, Steals 16-6. USA transition game was good, half court offense was great at times, they seem to be able to handle ok against the 2-3 zone.
Lithuania had a lot more turnovers.

The game against Russia will be interesting. Their coach has said that they don't mind losing exhibition games, as long as they will be ready for the actual competition. I suppose what he meant is that he won't show all his plays and will use what he sees of us to improve his defense.

Posted by: rgz | August 1, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama | July 31, 2008 11:25 PM
-----------------------------------------

I posted Hollinger's ranking, without any endorsement or criticism, it is for people to discuss. It is funny that some selective people here is so eager to pounce. (That's the biggest problem with this blog, BTW.) You also mention Hollinger picked Wizards to finish below .500 yourself; does that mean you are "listening to someone based on whether you do or don't like what's being said?" Or you simply have a different standard regarding yourself?

As for Hollinger's ranking. I think he developed the ranking system (for whatever its worth; again, I am not endorsing his system here. This disclaimer should not be necessary, but only for some selective people ...), and applied to all players. It does not include his own subjective opinion unlike the way he picked teams.

Posted by: sagaliba | August 1, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the motive for Kal's statement, either. ??

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Sagaliba - I agree with you!

Some people will never learn.

Posted by: Dave, | August 1, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

DSong hurt? He may be at a point in his career where injuries like this are now chronic. But perhaps there is a silver lining...EJ will now be forced to play AB more at the 4, as he has no other option. And for EJ the fewer in-game options he has, typically the better.

Ernie, get the Wiz a lock down defender, who can shoot the 3 a little...like Houston just did!

Posted by: oddjob | August 1, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Yeah this Artest thing kinda sucks. Don't know the specifics about how it would have impacted us and whether it was doiable without going over the cap or not (that's Rooks specialty) but he could possibly have made the same difference to us that Garnett did for the Celts.
Great defense is usually done by example. Once one prominent guy does it, the rest of the team kinda buys in. Artest would have been that guy for us.

I will be in the minority with this one but would I give have given up CB or AJ for him? Absolutely. No telling what effect that would have had in the locker room (probably negative) but on the court, we'd be better.

Posted by: mark | August 1, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"I agree, sagaliba. Hollinger's PER system is supposed to be objective. If it wasn't I'm sure he'd have our Wiz players ranked much lower.
Not sure about the motive for Kal's statement, either. ??"

Funny how not being sure of my "motivation" didn't stop you from chiming in in agreement in the very next post, at least until someone else reminded you that you're supposed to disagree with everything I say by reflex (which, if you think about, simply underscores the point of my original post).

Posted by: kalorama | August 1, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The Kings weren't going to trade for Jamison.

First of all, the salaries don't match. Any deal they made would have required the Wiz to take back more salary, most likely a bad contract the Kings wanted to dump.

Second, the main asset in the deal the Kings took was the fact that they didn't have to take on additional salary. Jackson's contract expires after next season, just like Artest's. They weren't looking to commit to more money long term in exchange for Artest, and since the Wiz didn't have $7+ mill in expiring contracts, they didn't have the currency the Kings were interested in.

Posted by: kalorama | August 1, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"I posted Hollinger's ranking, without any endorsement or criticism, it is for people to discuss."

Riiight.

You posted it on a Wizards board because he put 3 of the 5 Wizards starters in the top 10 at their positions, a pretty clear implicit endorsement of his analysis as having some relevance or significance.

"It does not include his own subjective opinion unlike the way he picked teams."

Except his picks aren't subjective either. Pretty much every basketball judgment he makes is based on some kind of statistical analysis.

Posted by: kalorama | August 1, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Imagine an empty room and Josh Howard being the only dude inside the room. He still wouldn't be the smartest person in the room.

Posted by: Rayful Edmond III | August 1, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

It's not reflex, Kal. I just happen to disagree with your opinions often (which is perfectly fine) and your attitude almost always. You're consistently obnoxious and disrespectful of other ppls opinions. It's not just me that noticed it because others have commented about it, as well.

No personal disrespect intended but it's gotten old. Seems like folks here have finally started ignoring the other guy. I don't think it'll be too long before you get afforded the same treatment.

Posted by: mark | August 2, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oddjob | August 2, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey ODDJOB; Way to go trashin EJ before training camp gets started I'm sure if Nick is prepared then Caron won't have to play the two, why don't we wait and see instead of bad mouthing the head coach before the season is underway and you call yourself a fan,EJ has won despite all the injuries and doubt's, so why not let the season play itself out.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 2, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

"CB would have fit perfectly on the USA team. I wonder if he was at all miffed that he didnt get an invite. I wouldnt be surprised if he takes it to another level this coming season. Improves upon his outside shooting even more and gets tougher on D. Once EJ loses confidence in NY early in the season, CB will see more time at the 2...and EJ will probably overplay him once again and he will get hurt once again. Unless Ernie makes a move mid season to replace him. Please god.

Posted by: oddjob | August 2, 2008 9:26 AM "

I really don't see CB's game stepping up this coming season. He had an incredible season last season, and lost in all that was how he almost broke the consecutive free throw record.

The main reason I don't see CB producing as much is because of Gilby's return. Gilby will get his shots and it will come at other's detriment. The dude who handles the ball is the dude who will determine other people's productivity, for the most part.

Look at the numbers.

AD averaged 6.3 shots/game last season and 6.1 in his career.

Gilby's is going to come back and try to prove that he deserved those max money funds. And, that doesn't mean more passes/assists...that means more buckets....whether they win or lose.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 2, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

"It's comparable to the other guys schtick. The other guy is famous for Gil bashing and you're famous for trying to belittle other posters and completely disregarding the validity of their opinions.

Posted by: mark | August 2, 2008 9:10 AM "

Get a life you F'n crybaby.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 2, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

"Gilby's is going to come back and try to prove that he deserved those max money funds."

That I agree with.

"...that means more buckets....whether they win or lose."

May or may not be true. Time will definitely tell. The optimist in me hopes that Gil try to prove it by taking the wiz deep into postseason. Like he said in the press conference.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2008 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Sure Im a fan, but blind faith is not my gig.

I gave EJ numerous years to show what he could do...and he did a lot of good things. But he also showed his true colors. The Wiz won enough games last year with EJ's system (Princeton offense) to be average. The system will do that for just about any team willing to work hard. But thats it, you real leadership, creativity and smarts to get past average. EJ's limitations when it comes to displaying true leadership are apparent. Two clear examples (and there are many more): EJ's bahavior toward GA has fuled GA's imature behavior on and off the court. EJ's in-game coaching skills are pathetic and show his passive agressive nature toward BH still clearly exists--to the detriment of the outcome of games. Sure EJ's not the brightest bulb, but its EJ's deep seeded fears (of what I dont know) that are what ultimately limits his ability to be among the coaching elite. He has his basic formula and does not have the guts the tweek or expand upon it to better take advantage of the player talents he has (young and old). The players dont respect him because he plays favorites and doesnt add any value toward winning the game while the game is going on; EJ is not real strong at thinking on his feet, he seems to always be living in the past, not embacing the opportunities that present themselves and so the team can grow and apply what theyve learned. This is all what leadership is about and it is an area I fear EJ will never get. Thats why I say, thanks EJ you brought the Wiz back from Wes Unseld-hell. But the Wiz need somebody else to lead them out of mediocrity and to the promise land. Maybe one more year to show gratitude to EJ would be appropriate, but please after that, let the Wiz move on...to greatness.

Posted by: oddjob | August 3, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Oddjob. And as I've said before, EJ's fear is of getting fired. As long as he could keep getting into the first round of the playoffs he figured his job was safe. That's why he never takes any chances or tries anything new.

Posted by: KTV | August 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Winning cures lots of things ... many people in Boston wanted to ride Doc Rivers out of Beantown on a rail until this past June. EJ got to coach an all star game when his players were all healthy for a half season in 06-07, no reason he could not coach them all the way if they stay healthy all the way.

Posted by: khrabb | August 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"Gilby on the other hand was averaging about 21 shots/game during his peak and 17.2 for his career.

It'll be overall lower production from all the starters to balance out Gilby's return, assuming they don't resort to a helter skelter/Paul Westhead type of offense."
---------------------------
Isnt it the coach's job to control this type of immature and irresponsible potential behavior? Do you think the current Wiz coach will be able to do this?
Right. Therein lies the real roblem. I would think one of the first things the next coach does is get a real PG (younger version of AD) and start shifting GA over to the 2 more often. And hold GA accountable to the role and responsibilities he has a team leader, just like the rest of the veterans on the team.

Posted by: oddjob | August 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Probably the biggest problem the Wizards faced last year was injuries and too small a roster (because of said injuries). We will now face exactly the same predicament this year. Overworked starters, a supporting cast that is young and inexperienced, and now we don't have Mason who provided a nice spark and was consistent.

They asked Gil to leave some money on the table so they could remedy this situation, and now we watch Abe pocket the difference and cross his fingers again. After two years of this it's getting old.

Posted by: NC | August 3, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

"Mason who provided a nice spark and was consistent."

During the regular season.

Posted by: jones-y | August 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"I'm convinced that Abe Polin is too cheap to ever deliver a championship to DC. He'll spend just enough to make the playoffs, but won't do what's necessary to put us in a position to dominate.

Posted by: NC | August 3, 2008 2:28 PM "

With DSong out with his back injury, I see this carrying into the season. It was 2 seasons ago that he played for his national team and ended up with tired legs for 2 seasons.

DSong is one guy whom the Wiz need to close the chapter on his career here. Also, please don't say "it's a great opportunity for AB to step up." It'll just be just hole in the roster that the Wiz won't address.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 3, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Mason who provided a nice spark and was consistent."

During the regular season.

Posted by: jones-y | August 3, 2008 2:39 PM

I guess my point is, on paper we have a worse team than we did last year. That is unless Andray Blatche suddenly became Kevin Garnett in the last two months.

Posted by: NC | August 3, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

"And before anyone says "well, Gilbert will be back" - Gil was supposed to be back fresh and ready to go at this time last season, and by the pain he suffered during the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised if he's in for a short season again.

Posted by: NC | August 3, 2008 8:00 PM "

LMAO!

I don't think anybody can handle that kind of truth on this blog.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 3, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Still no responses to the 'other guy'.
I love this blog.

Posted by: mark | August 4, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Oklahoma City would trade Wilcox for Etan? They don't really have a center who is even half-decent on their roster. Etan is from Tulsa, and could fill that role for them.

Posted by: MDBaller1 | August 4, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama
----------------------------------------

I am really sick and tired of this kind of nonsense (that's why I don't visit this board often anymore).

Yes, I posted it because he listed 3 out 5 Wiz players in the top 10. But to say that means I endorse him is an illogical leap. I would have posted it even if he said "Gilbert is among the 10 worst players in the NBA." Does that mean I agree with him? Hardly! I would posted it because it is "interesting," it is "newsworthy," get it?

Oh, forget it, some selective people is so full of themselves, they would never get it!

Posted by: Sagaliba | August 4, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalorama
----------------------------------------

For the PER system that Hollinger developed to evaluate players, he publishes the formula, and applies to ALL players indiscriminately. What statistical system did he use when he picked teams? You seem so knowledgeable about Hollinger's system, why don't you tell us? That would be something because Hollinger has never revealed that himself!

I am a scientist who uses statistics often in my profession, and if anyone claims that he did a "statistical analysis" but was unable to publish the methodology, I would chalk that up as snake oil salesmen pitch. You OTOH, threw the phrase "statistical analysis" around even when the person himself never claimed so! Unbelievable!

Posted by: Sagaliba | August 4, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"Do you think Oklahoma City would trade "

LOL. Still no responses to the 'other guy'.
I love this blog.

Posted by: mark | August 4, 2008 7:18 AM "

sorry markie, I don't make posts in hopes of a debate or even a response.

I make them just to make them, and will continue to, as it seems I have a loyal fan following from people such as you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

People, please realize that some people do have neglect issues deriving from not getting what they need from their parents as far back as while they were even in the womb. Neglect causes people to seek negative attention. You wonder why some people even cut or stab themselves. They are seeking attention. Negative attention is better than no attention in their minds. They can't control themselves. They don't realize they are doing it. When I do this, please empathize with me. Please be understanding. My mother did not love me or want me. I never knew my father. Please. I can't help myself. Don't you understand?

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Consistant rebounding and defense and getting out and filling a lane on the break are the things he needs to work on right now. With all of his talent, if he gets himself in game shape the points will come.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I really post anonymously because deep down, I know I am a nobody. I can't stand behind my statements because it would be like the invisible man talking....people would wonder "who just farted?"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Hearing Songalia is having a recurrance of back problems isn't good news. Since the guy had disc surgery after coming back from a stint with his National team his back is always going to be a worry.

Hopefully rest and therapy will get him back on his feet. I think that with Thomas back in the mix to backup at center, Jordan would have been more inclined to give Blatche more of the minutes at the 4 this season anyway. My impression is that Songalia will become more and more of a spot player."

He's done. Stick a fork in him. Also, don't pin your hopes too much on a guy who just had heart surgery. You're setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

"Oddjob, I'd agree that if the Wiz are stuck in another year of 41-45 wins and one and done in the playoffs Grunfeld will have to look toward shaking up the mix some what. And it's always easier to hire a coach then to replace a roster. So Eddie has got to be feeling some heat for this team to show some real improvement this season."

LMAO! EG should fire himself immediately if this experiment does not pan out. Giving two guys huge contracts based on hopes that the reason for the lack of success was based on health alone was naive.

"He's also going to be under some pressure to handle Arenas better then he did at the start of last season. Bringing him back and logging 40+ minutes in back to back games when it seemed clear to everyone that Arenas wasn't 100% wasn't a smart move."

BS. If EJ doesn't have the support and backing from management/ownership, then Gilby will continue to be Gilby.

"Arenas, for his part did seem to be playing more intelligent basketball in those last five games before he went out for the second surgery. The effect of having the time off to watch the team without him will be interesting to see."

Uhh, that's b/c he couldn't get his own shot off due to his bum leg. Even on a breakaway..he shot a layup.

"Gil's a bright guy, and he diffently knows more basketball then all of us arm chair experts combined. So it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table after all of the time off. I don't buy the angle that he's going to be only concerned about putting up numbers to prove his worth."

Yup, the parachute and biking workouts proved brilliant.

"Pollin made it clear what he expected in order to get a return on his investment of this big contract. It's up to Arenas, Jamison and Butler to start bringing it about on the court."

He does have a return on his investment. It's called lux tax welfare. Also, with the VC having venues 216 days out of the year, it's a cash cow. Winning and losing games comes secondary here in DC.

"Eddie is going to have to find a way to win and lower the wear and tear on the big three at the same time. That means Eddie is going to have to start to weave Blatche, Young and McGuire into his regular rotation and work toward building depth so these guys are more battle tested before the playoffs."

I'm sure he knows this. Knowing and doing are 2 different things.

"Blatche doesn't have to turn into a "Garnett" for this team to step up, but he does need to become a professional that's ready to play on a nightly basis and consistantly put that talent to good use.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 11:54 AM "

Unfortunately, nothing we've seen from AB shows that he's headed in the right direction. The summer is not over yet. Still enough time for another john bust, traffic violation, or other.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Let's just call this DCMan88 Blog. What a friggin blabber mouth and a know all that don't know shiggity. Get a job jerk! Let's see what he has to say when the Wiz kick ass this year!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCFag Makes The Times | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how the Gilby lovers come out of the wood work just based on the sheer mention of Sir Goofy.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

SALTY, SWEATY NADS.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

night elephant german kitchen global german home jhon key site look

Posted by: goapplevacan | August 4, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I am doing it again. I can't control myself. Thanks for all the attention friends.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If the guy was involved with guns or drugs that would be another matterfor the Wizards to handle. His actions are not harmless, and they don't reflect those of a mature adult. But at 20-22 yrs. old there are not many of us that could say we'd want everything we ever did in the paper.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"What we have seen from Andre Blatche is a steady improvement each year. 29 games, ave. 6 min. played per game with 1.3 rebounds and 2.2 points. to 56 games played, 12min. per game with 3.4 rebounds and 3.7 points to 20 min. played with 5.2 rebounds and 7.5 points per game.

The important stat is he played all 82 games and he's reaching that critical mass in minutes played to make the logical next step of becoming a solid rotation guy."

Solid rotation guy? Do you mean only when the team is depleted due to injuries, like it was last season, and AB will then get some PT?

I can't think of anything memorable from AB during his career, except for his one game against KG.

"Expecting that he could step up to averaging 30-32 minutes a game next season is not a stretch. If he can get more of those minutes at his natural position as a forward instead of backup center I'd expect his stats will improve even more then the did last season."

We can only hope that AB will get more PT, but putting him at the 5 is a bigger mistake than telling him to be a 4 and camping out in the paint.

"If Blatche can contribute enough that Eddie can lesson the load on Jamison and Butler it will have a huge effect down the stretch."

Nobrainer there.

"But the Kid has to realize the Wiz need him on the boards on the defensive end. He's got to take that next step of knowing how to work to get rebounds by fighting for position and boxing out. He does tend to want to sneak out and get on the break before the team's got the ball secured."

This applies to everyone, especially Gilby, who's the only guy on the team who's ever expressed a lack of desire to play D. Gilby's ability to play D on his man will lessen the load on the big men who typically in the past had to help him out.

"But he has shown steady progress from year to year. Sometimes we've got to remember he's still as young as some of the guys that got drafted this year. I'm not taking up for his youthful knuckleheadness, but that's what it appears to be to me at this point.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 2:16 PM "

I think you're preaching to the choir. Instead, you should tell EJ that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Blatche got 20 minutes a game in the NBA in his third year out of High School. Even after he missed much of his first year after getting shot.

Just how fast was he supposed to be worked into the rotation on a team of veterans fighting for a playoff spot?

His progression seems about what I would expect. By the time he would have been a senior in college he's looking like a regular rotation guy this coming season.

So expecting that he will become a major contributor this year is only expecting that he lives up to the potential he's shown. And that he'll continue to learn from the experience he's gained and use it constructively in the offseason to build and improve his game.

Hopefully in the next year or two he's a guy that will be fighting for starter's minutes as a power forward. He's got the frame to grow into being a four in this league and the quickness to play some 3 and cause mismatches.

But the kid's a power forward and he does need to continue to learn to play in the paint.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Of course this will all get posted again in about 10 minutes with snarky comments inserted.

Posted by: GM | August 4, 2008 4:39 PM "

I guess for a guy like AB who got drafted out of the 2nd round in 49th place....we shouldn't expect much. But, given the contract that he received last season, he really didn't contribute much, if anything, to the Wiz.

Can AB be the blame for that? Probably not, b/c those 20 minutes were spotty minutes here and there really.

Then again, the Wiz didn't do much last season as a team as a whole.

In the end, AB and his 14 mil is not worth getting in a tizzy about when you got guys getting paid over 10 mil/year who should be shouldering the bulk of the blame. Of course, they got rewarded fat contracts.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post - All the 88er all the time.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

GM, You were off by 4 minutes.

Posted by: mark | August 4, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"GM, You were off by 4 minutes.

Posted by: mark | August 4, 2008 5:47 PM "

markie was early by about 5 months...nicu saved him...but not all of him.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"I think it is sad that this forum has become an anti-Gilbert,anti-Wizard forum. It used to be a place where Wiz fans could come and post with like fans. But now, if you have anything positive to say about the Wiz, you are ridiculed and called nasty names. I came here today to see what the updates were regarding the Wiz and all I find is comments disrepsecting Gilbert and all kinds of negativive talk about much of the players. And this is before the season even starts. No one here seems to believe that people can change,mature and become better people and players. I am glad that I was given the opportunity to do so because I am a much better person at 46 than I was at 26. And had I not been given the opportunity to grow, I don't know where I would be. I think the Wiz players are at least owed that opportunity and fan support. And not the constant criticism they recieve.

Posted by: | August 4, 2008 5:55 PM "

S.T.F.U. and quit your b!tchin'.

Have a nice day!

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

love him or hate him, you've got to hand it to Gilbert: his commentary is just about the only interesting thing happening in basketball this summer. oh, you say Kobe scored 20 against Ersmeckistan? {yawn}

I'd much rather read Gil's latest blog entry, talking about Kwame, Larry, Juan and Ron. latest edition at: http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5800009898

Posted by: satch | August 4, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Satch, I agree. What is good for the Wizards aside, Gilbert provides an amazingly candid and inside perspective of the NBA. Blows away all of the dribble I've seen from Rosen, Ford and the other 'experts.'

Posted by: DOC | August 4, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope Gilby turns his new pool/grotto/home to Playboy East in Great Falls. It'll liven up that quiet area.

Although Gilby's pool/grotto is supposed to be bigger, unfortunately, DC ain't LA. Nobody is going to be lying around a pool come December/January and admiring all his gold fish or watching tv in grotto.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 4, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

For those of you unfamiliar with the 88er, here's a quick synopsis of his posts over the past couple years just to catch you up to date:
grotto, lefty, laura, gilby-lover, bwahaha, gwahaha, markie, babythong, lisa, barn, gilby, stupid parachute, your momma.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Fascinating insight...keep up the good work

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Looks like relief is finally coming!! So long DC man.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 5, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Satch, I don't normally read Gil's Blog's, but I did find his comments about This offseason's player movement interesting.

My thought is that we need a veteran scorer that can be relied on to come in and put some offense up with the second unit. Gil brings up an intersting possibility, could Juan and his uptempo, gambling, ball hawking, defensive style along with instant offense fill a role with the Wizards?

No he's not a classic point gaurd, but does a guy that would be used as a third point and third shooting guard have to be a classic anything? Or is it nice to have a guy off the bench that is a tempo changer, a tweener, a difficult matchup that makes the other coach react to the matchup?

Bringing in Jaun probably would never happen since at the veteran's min. for his number of years would put the Wizards over the luxury tax threshold. But, I'd agree with Gil, I'd welcome him back anytime too...

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"Gilby will be lucky if he gets 5 months use out of that pool on a yearly basis, assuming it's heated.-DCMOM88

Fascinating insight...keep up the good work

Posted by: | August 5, 2008 7:51 AM "

Actually, Gilby can turn that pool into a skate park or a skating rink during the offseason months.

It'll be a great attraction for the neigbhorhood.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"I'd second his motion about Jaun Dixon, the guy's got to find a team that will give him a role to fill. Conventional wisdom is that we need another backup at the three position on the Wizards.

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2008 9:40 AM "

I like Juan on this team too, and there's plenty of cap room since Gilby left all that money on the table...

Oh wait, EG spent it on someone called Dee Brown...

Oh well, better luck next year.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 5, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dee Brown only has about $100,000.00 of quarenteed money from what I've read, so he is getting paid to come to camp and compete.

He can be cut loose with little impact on the luxury tax level. Seems like a move that was designed to allow Ernie some flexibilty if he wanted it. Signing almost any vet would impact the luxury tax even if Brown wasn't on board. So Having Brown isn't in it's self effecting Ernie's ability to go after a Vet if he decides to go that way.

I think Ernie can bring a guy to camp on a non quarenteed basis and take a look as well without costing the team a dime in LT money. Just as he did with Massenberg last summer.

Guys like Jaun are out their looking for a quarentee right now, soon some may take an invite and try and fight their way onto a roster somewhere. Or some will go overseas for better money, it would be nice if Juan would come back home and see if he could carve out a role here. I think this system works well for his talents.

1 1/2 hrs. left on the clock, care to get in anything vulgar or otherwise offensive on your repost of my last post before the deadline?

If not, happy trails and maybe that job as a cabana boy at the grotto will work out...

Posted by: GM | August 5, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse