Taking some time

I'll be taking some time off from Wizards duty for the next couple of weeks but before you know it, training camp will be approaching and I'll be right back at it. I have a wedding to hit in Minnesota this weekend but will otherwise plan on sticking around DC to play a lot of basketball, read a few books and pray that Brett Favre ends up in purple.

A few folks have e-mailed me about the JaVale McGee profile I wrote the other day.

-One of the interesting things about McGee's situation is that I think he's going to be flanked by some pretty good role models/mentors. He's going to live with Rory Jones, a former Toledo ballplayer who has worked with him since he was a kid, and that lockeroom is filled with guys like Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood - guys who will really show him the way in practice each day. Even if he never gets on the floor much this season, you have to think that banging around in practice each day with Thomas and Haywood is going to make him better. At the very least, having someone like Jones around every day should make JaVale's transition easier. It's my belief that Andray Blatche could have used someone like that when he was a rookie and second-year player.

- Things are very quiet on the free agent front. Ernie Grunfeld has no doubt been working the phones exploring options but the Wiz have very limited space under that luxury tax right now and appear to be content with the roster as it is.

-I like Kwame Brown as a Piston. Something tells me that is a perfect fit for him. Obviously, things didn't work out here and he couldn't handle the pressure of playing for Kobe and Phil Jackson in Los Angeles.Memphis is a just a mess in every way so it's hard to read anything on that situation. If it's ever going to happen for Kwame, it's going to be in Detroit. He can help that team.

-Roger Mason Jr., who signed with the Spurs recently, is having a charitable event tonight at Lucky Strike bowling alley in Chinatown to raise money for the National Kidney Foundation. The DC area has the highest prevelance of kidney disease in the naiton and Roger lost his father to kidney disease as a kid. It will be good to see Roger tonight. He's going to be missed next season.

By Ivan Carter |  July 29, 2008; 12:03 PM ET
Previous: Gilbert Arenas press conference | Next: Some Thoughts On Team USA

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

1st off Dcmom is a punk ass!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 12:23 PM

taking nads

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 12:29 PM

Ivan,
I like Kwame Brown as a Piston too, just hated him as a Wizard...

Posted by: CN | July 29, 2008 12:33 PM

I've just pooped in my pants, literally.

Now I need to somehow slip out of my work unnoticed and go out and buy some new briefs and pants.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is the best way to slip out of work without anyone noticing the "mess" I've made on the back of my pants?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 12:37 PM

I'm glad Kwame is back in the East. Hopefully he can make the Wiz regret the debacle that surrounded him here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 12:41 PM

Have some great time off Ivan. Enjoyed the peice about McGee and his mom. Having an in house mentor is probably a good idea.

I also really agree that in the Wizards locker room he will be sourrounded by some good solid pros. Despite some minor scrapes here in there Blatche does seem to be getting and headed in the right direction. But hanging with "Party John" didn't get him off to the right start as a rookie.

Kwame may have found the right place to get his career on track, and the Pistons may have found another cheap big for their bench. I'd agree it's probably a really good fit.

Posted by: GM | July 29, 2008 12:44 PM

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 29, 2008 12:47 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 12:41 PM

Posted by: Colin | July 29, 2008 12:48 PM

Kwame Brown to the Pistons?!?

All I can think about that is the Dave Chappelle line: "Dis some repugnant sh--!"

I would have preferred he stayed in the West where he could have delusions of grandeur several times a season vs. Tyson Chandler and the Hornets, instead of "get-back" motivations vs. Washington 3-5 times a season (however many times the NBA offers under this imbalanced intraconference schedule).

Posted by: iceberg | July 29, 2008 1:12 PM

Enjoy the time off Ivan, we all need a break!

Posted by: khrabb | July 29, 2008 1:15 PM

"A debacle he brought on himself. He was putrid during his time in Washington. I don't want to hear about the pressure that was put on him because them's the breaks when you choose to become a professional athlete. If he wasn't ready for it, he should've gone to college. I don't think the Wizards will ever regret dumping him. His inability to progress as a ball player lies mostly on his shoulders. Don't blame the Wizards for that.

Posted by: Colin | July 29, 2008 12:48 PM "

Whatever.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 1:29 PM

"There is an old saying a leopard never changes its spots ....

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | July 29, 2008 12:47 PM "

LOL!

The same can be said about the supposed retirement of Gilbertology.

"Arenas has endeared himself to fans with his approachable nature and quirky ways, but he also has shown flashes of immaturity at times, undermining Jordan with comments to reporters and openly stating he is not a leader.

While vowing to remain true to himself, Arenas also said he understands that he has to make some changes.

"All of those little things I've done in the past are going to come to a halt," Arenas said. "I think I'm up to the task. I just need to cut out some of the foolishness I do. But I think it's a good thing. I create hype, I create excitement, but some of that other stuff, I know I have to calm down." "

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 1:32 PM

Kwame is the kiss of death. If Dumars was gonna can Saunders, he should have kept Ben Wallace. To me this is the official announcement of the end for this version of the Pistons.

It's cool to see all the love for Kwame on this board--but I can't help wondering what the reaction would be if EG had traded for him.

Posted by: KTV | July 29, 2008 1:36 PM

Good move for Dumars and the Pistons. They envision Kwame in a defensive C role, though Kwame has usually thought of himself as an offensive PF threat. At 6'11" and 270 lbs, he will certainly be adequate against backup centers like Etan Thomas. If he can defend the lane, grab rebounds and tip in some balls he will have earned his Pistons money. If he is judged against top tier centers, that's another story.

Posted by: rgz | July 29, 2008 2:19 PM

"and that lockeroom is filled with guys like Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood - guys who will really show him the way in practice each day."

I agree with jamison but I hope javale learns nothing from Brenda or Etan. What is Brenda going to teach him? to be soft and unproductive and the only thing etan can teach him is how to swing his hair around.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 2:34 PM

"Kwame as a Piston, ahh, NO he will do what he did as a Wizard,Laker,Grizlee, Nothing.There is an old saying a leopard never changes its spots and a soft seven footer never amounts to ............... well you get the picture!!!."

Jermaine Oneal took about 7 years to develop you never know. There are others as well...sometimes you just have to be put in the correct situation.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 2:36 PM

Ivan, I liked your JaVale McGee story. Hope you have a great vacation! You have earned it.

Posted by: Joe C | July 29, 2008 2:43 PM

Ivan -

any word on the beasley front? i'm still a little upset we passed on him in the draft. we should still make a move for him.

Posted by: jose | July 29, 2008 3:08 PM

Man good thing Gil saved us all that money we are really making some power moves with it. That 1.5 he saved us is really going to tuen us into a contender. Gil and EG both pathetic

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 3:15 PM

Jermaine O'Neal didn't take "7 years to develop."

He didn't play much his first four years in Portland because they were a contending team with a crowded frontcourt filled with veterans and recent all-stars. As soon as he went to Indy and start playing significant minutes he produced right away.

Brown's been playing significant minutes for almost all of his NBA career (he's averaged fewer than 22 mpg twice--last season and his rookie year) and has never produced correspondingly significant results.

Posted by: kalorama | July 29, 2008 3:19 PM

"I like Kwame Brown as a Piston."

My first thought when I heard they signed him was,"I wonder what All Star the Pistons are going to get when they trade him away?"

"He's going to be missed next season."

Thank Gilbert for that one for taking so much less to help the team.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | July 29, 2008 3:36 PM

As I've said before, Abe should put a statue of Gil outside of VC and we should call it the house that Gil built.

Gil is so much better than MJ...by a longshot.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 3:42 PM

Tony Massenburg can take the remaining $1.5 mil

Posted by: G$ | July 29, 2008 3:44 PM

"Tony Massenburg can take the remaining $1.5 mil

Posted by: G$ | July 29, 2008 3:44 PM "

That 1.5 mil would be better off flushed down the toilet.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 3:49 PM

and leave $0.99 cents so we don't go over the cap and into the luxury tax

Posted by: G$ | July 29, 2008 3:49 PM

poop

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 3:55 PM

diarrhea

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 4:27 PM

how would the wiz regret trading kwame brown. unless you think caron butler wasn't a good return, that statement is ridiculous.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 4:42 PM

Having an in house mentor is probably a good idea.

Posted by: GM | July 29, 2008 12:44 PM

Good point GM... As a matter of fact, I've always wondered why Basketball clubs or Player Agents don't require their players to hire on a Butler/Chauffer/Valet/Personal Assistant/Chef.... They used to be called a Gentleman's Gentleman.

You know, someone that can take care of all the stuff the player can't do (or doesn't know how to do) - and mentor that player on the off-court stuff of being a professional.

Posted by: Rook | July 29, 2008 4:57 PM

As for Kwame Brown, he'll be fine in Detroit, as long as they don't ask him to shoot the ball, pass the ball, catch the ball, dribble the ball - or do anything else that would be considered a Basketball skill.

Posted by: Rook | July 29, 2008 5:11 PM

Another candidate for the $1.5 million in loose change burning a hole in EG's pocket has signed elsewhere... Kareem Rush going to Philly.

What's the over-under on an impending interruption to Ivan's holidays?

Paging Mr Wells, Mr Bonzi Wells.

Posted by: khrabb | July 29, 2008 5:44 PM

Rook, good point. The reality of it is that most 19 year olds straight out of high school away from home aren't ready to do anything. Specially not when their mother or sister has been preparing their meals, washing their clothes, buying their underwear. Specially ball players who have no other concern than graduate and play.
But once they get to college they have to fend for themselves, and actually universities have waterboys/ball boys and such who do errands for the players even. There is a whole support system with the alumni involved. But kids like Kwame and Andray suddenly get thrust into a situation where they're on their own with no mentor. And earning lots of money - recipe for disaster. That's why NBA teams need to get nannies or butlers. Or amybe agents need to set their clients up with "minders" for the first year as part of their services. (sounds like a biz opportunity for an explayer)
And on the basketball side have veterans take the rookies under their wing. Maybe not so much the Gil to Nick and Dominic 'let's play paintball in my backyard' relationship but more of a Caron big brother thing. I realize it's not in their job description, I just figure it's something that the veterans may need to consider, much more important than the rookie hazing thing they do for a whole year. Supposedly on the Wiz, Caron is a much more vocal leader than Antawn is more of a lead by example guy. I hope that translates into more mentoring as to conditioning, practice habits, etc. Of course some guys will be swellheads alredy even in their rookie year and that may not help, maybe Kwame was one of those who resented anything anybody told him, who knows.

Posted by: rgz | July 29, 2008 5:53 PM

The Knicks cut a couple guys I wouldn't mind picking up.

6-7 SF Bobby Jones

Draftexpress: "Bobby Jones is a defensive stopper in the truest sense"

6-1 PG Taurean Green

Bobby Jones is exactly what we need as far as adding depth at SF and giving us a perimeter defender off the bench.

Taurean Green would be an upgrade over Dee Brown IMO. He knows how to run a team and can knock down the open shot.

Posted by: Darnell | July 29, 2008 6:42 PM

This should be the headline in the Post tomorrow:

Gilby Gets Bamboozled!!!

Gilby gives up 11 mil in total contract salary and the Wiz let Mason walk, pick up Dee Brown pt. 2, and leave 1.5 mil hanging for the 1.5 mil exception?

Give me a f@cking break.

-------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

"I asked Arenas last month what he thought the Wizards had to do to appease his wishes. He wouldn't campaign for the Wizards to acquire certain players, but he did say, "If you want a championship, you got to get a championship team."

He added: "I know this might not sound right, but the championship teams treat themselves like champions. You go into Miami's locker room, I'm like, 'Wow, what the hell is this?' Everything from their game-day meals for their players to every state-of-the-art thing you can imagine. As a player, why would you want to leave the locker room? I could sit there all day.

"We've been doing a better job, but it comes down to this: You treat your players like champions, they want to be champions," he added. "All the best teams in the league treat themselves first-class every day. Other players come over and think, 'They got this, they got that. Oh, I want to be here.' "

Whether Arenas was telling Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld to upgrade the Wizards' facilities is up for debate. But he was clearly illustrating how the defending champions take care of their players. How the Wizards interpret Arenas's words gets to the issue of how much leverage stars have in this league."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 9:01 PM

I would have liked Kwame back as a Wizard, with greatly reduced expectations. They could use a big, strong guy like him, just to get some rebounds and hammer some people. how much $ did he get?

Posted by: stevie | July 29, 2008 9:15 PM

Kwame got 4 mil/year for 2 years. I think he could have helped also, but in the same light, I think he would have failed here again b/c the Wiz fans would never let him off the hook like they never let Juwan Howard off the hook.

BTW, can someone wake up EG from his nap?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 9:43 PM

I think the Bulls will regret giving Deng this money eventually. Of course, he's only 23 with room for improvement. Time will tell.

Posted by: mark | July 29, 2008 10:21 PM

darn! there go the Wizards' hopes of being contenders this season. I wonder, are there any other mediocre players they could trade one of their all-stars for? they really need a departure from the status quo.

also, I have to concur with whoever it was who spoke up in Kwame's defense earlier. Kwame Brown was actually a good player; he just wasn't treated fairly by the organization or the fans. surely he will have his breakout season this year. perhaps the Wizards could trade an all-star for him, have a do-over.

Posted by: satch | July 29, 2008 10:29 PM

P
O
O
P

POOP
POOP
POOP

Posted by: Anonymous | July 29, 2008 10:30 PM

SO WE R GOIN TO BE THE SAME TEAM THAT CAN BARELY CONTEND IN THE REGULAR SEASON AND IN THE PLAYOFF....HUH, ITS THE WIZ, WHAT MORE CAN U WANT, WE R CHEAP,

LOOK AT THE ROCKETS, THEY TRY EVERYTHING THEY COULD TO IMPROVE THEIR TEAM BY TRADING FOR ARTEST FOR A BARGAIN AND WE DIDN'T DO A DIME. WE COULD HAVE TRADE FOR ARTEST TOO (MAYBE YOUNG, SONGAILA, 1ST ROUND 09)
OUR STARTING LINE UP WOULD BE:

ARENAS
BUTLER
ARTEST
JAMISON
HAYWOOD

...BUT AGAIN WE R CHEAP

Posted by: songaila89 | July 29, 2008 10:33 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 9:01 PM

Posted by: songaila89 | July 29, 2008 10:38 PM

Artest to the Kings for Booby Jackson, a 1st round pick, and Donte Green's draft rights.

Posted by: kalorama | July 29, 2008 11:14 PM

Artest to the Kings? I guess he got homesick and went back.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 11:56 PM

"Deng is supposedly getting 70 mill from the Bulls. It appears that Gil was wrong about him being dumb to turn down 57.5. Remains to be seen about Gordon. I doubt Gordon will get the money he was offered.

Posted by: mark | July 29, 2008 10:21 PM "

C'mon markie....Gilby is human...he is wrong a lot!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 29, 2008 11:58 PM

"yeah man, we r cheap, we aint gonna be better if Pollin iz still an owner of this team

Posted by: songaila89 | July 29, 2008 10:38 PM "

Abe: Costco sheet cake for all!
Gilby: I don't eat cake.
Abe: Eat this b#tch.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:00 AM

I love that DCMang prefers Kwame to Gilbert...

I think that just about says it all.
Time for a DCMan IS Kwame rumor?

I mean, THAT would make some serious sense!
Who else has enough time to troll like DCMan? We shoulda guessed it was a semi-pro athlete a LOOOOOONG-F-ing time ago!

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 12:20 AM

DC-Kwaman...
Didn't you steal a birthday cake out in LA?

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 12:21 AM

"Didn't you steal a birthday cake out in LA?

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 12:21 AM "

Are you calling your momma a birthday cake?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:55 AM

Let's think about the Rocket deal for a minute...

By adding Ron Artest wouldn't this make Shane Battier expendable?

Rafer Alston had a good season as the Rockets starting point guard in 2007-08. But if you wanted to contend for the West title, and you just traded Bobby Jackson in the Artest deal, wouldn't you want a solid back-up PG in place in case Alston gets hurt or reverts to past form?

And what if Carl Landry jumps to Europe, where does the back up PF come from?

Perhaps EG should be looking offering at AD + DSong for Shane Battier and a second round pick. The money should work.

Battier would be the ideal swing man for the Wizards, great defender, adequate scorer... could be a real difference maker and a lock for 6th man of the year .... if the Wiz chose not to start him at the 2 ahead of DS.

Then sign Taurean Green and let him and Dee Brown duke it out in camp to see who gets the back-up point slot

Posted by: khrabb | July 30, 2008 3:47 AM

As much as I hate all things Duke, Shane Battier could make some sense for the Wizards if Houston is inclined to deal.

But I'd think they'll hold on to him because he's a solid guy to have around. And he's really a guy that fits as a key component of a second unit rather then a regular starter.

Artest has been that on every stop so far, it would have been a high risk vs. high reward move. Sacramento settled for a package somewhat similar to something the Wiz could have put together, so the price wasn't out of sight for Artest.

My quess is in the end Ernie wasn't really ready to risk having Artest's past off the court behavior being a distraction to guys like Blatche, Young, McGuire, Pecherov and McGee. Might of filled the "little three's" heads with dreams of Artest producing them or something.

But on the court he'd have been the perfect foil for LaBron. Watching him go head to head with LaBron in the playoffs would have been one I'd have paid to see.

Houston had to pull off something, the level of frustration for McGrady never getting out of the first round is mounting. The move does make them realitively young at the point for a veteran team poised for a deep playoff run.

Picking up Daniels could make some sense for them. They play at a slower pace and he's the kind of tough minded guy who could fit in that locker room and that style of play.

But that would leave the Wizard razor thin at the point behind Arenas. But it's an interesting idea, Khrabb.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 7:53 AM

"I brought up Artest's name on here month's ago as a trade possibility. But in the end the Wizards seem to be very focused on their course of developing their young talent. Grunfeld doesn't seem to want to take on a possible major distraction.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 7:53 AM"

LMAO!

You don't mean "take on a possible distraction."

What you do mean is "take on ANOTHER distraction."

Gilby's on and off court behavior is bad enough influence on the young guys on the team.

Artest's skills and abilities would work well with the Wiz.

Problem would be that Artest would clash with Gilby being the superstar and franchise player on this team. Artest would steal the limelight and Gilby isn't content sharing the "face of the franchise" tag.

Imagine Artest doing his thing on offense on top of shutting down Lebron, Kobe, Paul Pierce, etc...breaking their ribs like he broke MJ's...working it on both sides of the court.

That would make him the centerpiece on this team. EG can't afford the positives of having Artest potentially throwing off this delicate team dynamic that has resulted in one and done.

Too bad.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 8:47 AM

Wow.

Bobby Jackson, #1 pick, and Donte Green for Artest.

The more you think about it, the more you realize that EG had absolutely no excuse not to have made this trade to improve the Wiz.

Even if the Artest experiment didn't work in DC, EG could still have repackaged Artest to be traded again before the deadline this coming season, or just let him walk since he's unrestricted after next season, and clear that cap space.

EG, EG, EG....wake up!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 8:55 AM

BTW, there are some self anointed basketball know it all wannabe geniuses here that poo poo'd any trade ideas for Artest awhile back b/c the weak argument was why Sacramento would take on the Wiz riff raff in exchange for Artest.

Well, again, look at what they accepted from Houston:

1. Bobby Jackson, 10 pts, 2.6 assists, 3.1 rebs, and .96 steals, shoots .419, .359 from 3, and .789 FTs for his career. Last season, his stats were WORSE than his career stats except .001 better in FT's. Oh yeah, he's 35 years old and made 5.67 mil.

2. Donte Green, freshly drafted 6-11 rookie.

3. #1 pick

Artest could have been had by the Wiz, but EG was probably busy vacationing.

------------------------------------------

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 9:10 AM

I'm not sure if this is Dante's Inferno and the 88th level of hell, or if it's just Groundhog Day, where you get up shuffle to the computor and start reposting the same stuff you've posted 10,000 times before!

Well, your beloved is signed up for 6 more years, that means you got another 2100 or so days to do the same thing all day every day. Have fun...Me, no thanks, I'd rather talk basketball with intelligent posters.

Darrell, Bobby Jones would be an idea for a camp invitee. He fits with what the Wiz need except his shooting. He's a guy for Hopla to make into a project. If the guy could stick an open J he'd be an NBA quality player. If he gains a three ball, he'd be a solid rotation guy.

But from what I've seen he can really get up in a guy's grill and defend. Seems like a guy that can slide between the 2 and the 3 defensively, and runs the floor well. Darrell, you called McGuire last year as a sleeper, Bobby Jones could be another interesting guy for the Wiz to look at.

I like the idea of bringing another point to push Dee Brown, I didn't see anything in Vegas from Brown to convince me he's the real thing yet. But as a point he had very little time to run with the team before the trip.

Camp will be important for him, having somebody to push him would be a good idea.

Green is another guy who could use help with being consistant from long range. On Florida's teams I thought he was a real "glue guy". The kind of player who did all of the things to let the other guys shine and helped them stick together as a team.

Two interesting guys that are out there, and there's going to be more before camp opens.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 9:32 AM

Taurean Green was brought in for a workout after he left Florida winning back to back NCAA titles. We had a look at him. He shoots a flat J and isn't that great at finishing or penetrating. His shot got better his last year at U-F but he could have used another year in college to hone his skills and show out after Noah, Horford & Brewer left early. His thought process was probably such that had he stayed, he would have lost interest playing on such a young team. Still, his skills seem comparable to what Dee Brown has thus far shown us.

Posted by: G$ | July 30, 2008 9:35 AM

G$, I'd agree, two guys with very similar talents. Let'em go at each other and maybe they push each other to be better.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 9:52 AM

Bobby Jackson's contract (like Artest's) expires following next season. Clearly, not taking on more salary was part of the Kings' strategy. Given that the Wizards don't have $6 mill in expiring contracts next season, they didn't have the assets to acquire Artest. Trading for the likes of Songaila, Thomas, or Daniel would have not only meant taking on lesser talent, but also having to pay more money for it.

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM

I hate Duke. However, Battier would be an ideal fit for this team and may now be available? On a side note, how old is DCMAN? Judging by his witty 'momma' come backs I'm guessing 12?

Posted by: MD4LIFE | July 30, 2008 9:59 AM

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 10:09 AM

"Trying as hard as you can to turn today into another one of your "beloved Gilby" debates. Where 300 posts later, your mind snaps, and you lapse into your always familar vulgarity before collapsing in exhustion, and then waking up to do it all again tomorrow.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 9:32 AM "

Weak as usual.

I paralleled your opinion of Artest being a possible distraction and bad influence on the young guys as to why EG didn't make the move, to the very definition of it in Gilby, and that's all you got?

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM

"well, he never answered the question, so i am going to assume that DCMan = Kwame and that really helps to understand where all this comes from.

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 10:09 AM "

And you must be Daniel "Boobie" Gibson's little sister?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 10:10 AM

"On a side note, how old is DCMAN? Judging by his witty 'momma' come backs I'm guessing 12?

Posted by: MD4LIFE | July 30, 2008 9:59 AM "

And I'm guessing you live in the whitewashed world where everything is prim and proper?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 10:11 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2008 10:16 AM

"Clearly, not taking on more salary was part of the Kings' strategy. Given that the Wizards don't have $6 mill in expiring contracts next season, they didn't have the assets to acquire Artest. Trading for the likes of Songaila, Thomas, or Daniel would have not only meant taking on lesser talent, but also having to pay more money for it.

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 9:58 AM "

Weak.

Yeah, a franchise that's had a decent run on winning like the Kings would rather take on expiring contracts and bet on a #1 pick from Houston (who made the playoffs last season, and now have Artest and probably a healthy Yao Ming set to return) that will probably be a low 1st rounder to go along with an unproven rookie in Donte Green and a 35 year old Bobby Jackson.

Oh wait, the Kings think they are in the running for the Lebron sweepstakes, so they must clear room. Exactly! Who doesn't want to live in Sacramento?

Clearly, there are no other FA's out there that are any good since dudes like Josh Smith are already locked up which is why the Kings "clearly don't want to take on more salary." Oh wait, he's not.

Wiz clearly had no chance in getting Artest to improve the team, especially when EG's busy napping or vacationing.

The real story is that the Wiz don't want Artest b/c dude will want to get paid after this season and the Wiz aren't going over the lux cap for nobody and for no reason. Not even for a ring. Don't believe the Abe hype.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 10:20 AM

it makes PERFECT sense!

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 10:20 AM

Have a nice vacation Ivan, and it looks like Michael has taken one himself. Hopefully we'll be getting blogposts from Michael on the Olympic team.

Since we're all speculating anyway...
The Wizards don't have the largest budget in the NBA, and Abe Pollin is not an internet billionaire with a large bankroll.
I understand that and I understand the way Ernie Grunfeld has managed the salary cap and the lux tax limit.

Pollin has indicated that he wants to win a championship, and I am assuming that this might be his last year as chairman and owner of the Wizards depending on how sick he really is.

There's really only one way of doing that this year, which is to spend on a couple of hired guns with large salaries.

It might be better if Abe Pollin sells controlling interest to Ted Leonsis, for as long as Ted is willing to pay the price of going all out this year. Ted has tried a couple of times with the Caps to hire highly paid big stars (like Jagr), but for whatever reason didn't pan out. He took a more conservative build from within approach last year.

He might be willing to try the all out approach with the Wizards, pay the luxury tax as long as he got some real talent (and not MLE caliber guys like Childress or Posey). And he might be willing to retain Abe as "chairman emeritus" and let him keep his office.

What do you think?

Posted by: rgz | July 30, 2008 10:22 AM

not your post, that's a bunch of crap...

DCMan = Kwame B... that makes PERFECT sense.

Posted by: boo | July 30, 2008 10:22 AM

"MD4LIFE didn't ask where DCMAN lives. He asked how old DCMAN is. I assume he thinks DCMAN is a teenager who can not participate in intellectual discussions without reverting to immature comebacks. Personally, I'm beginning to believe the DCMAN = Kwame theory.

Posted by: | July 30, 2008 10:16 AM "

Cool.

That'll take you far in life.

I hope it becomes your personal X-file...the search for the Kwame theory...go draw up some equations backing it up.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 10:23 AM

Ruben Patterson is a free agent. He was waived by the Clippers in Dec 07

Posted by: G$ | July 30, 2008 11:11 AM

First of all let up on the DCman dialogue.
He is entitled to his opinions, and even if I do agree with his diatribes, other than the incessant Gilby Ideology, he is a nice addition.
I also like what the Wiz are attempting, in keeping the solid nucleus, and adding young potentially talented replacements from within.
I like the youngins, and with the exception of the center position, we seem ok and able to compete with anyone.
I remain sceptical mainly becausee I am not sold on EJ as the apporopriate leader of this scenario.
He coaches like he is trying to save his job, which hopefully is tue.
He is the one most responsible for the breakdown physically each season of this team.
The excessive court time for his veterans is obscene, and his substitutions are inadequate.

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:23 AM

"He is adverse to incorporating the yound talent in with the veterans, which I consider Phil Jacksons greatest strength, but then again Jackson is not coaching for his job.

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:23 AM "

Speaking of "coaching for his job," what is the big deal about this much ballyhooed "Princeton Offense?"

What teams out there have ever had championship success with it? It's talked about a lot, but what is the big deal?

PO may be overrated, so EJ resorts to one on one for his guys. What a great formula.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 11:29 AM

Posted by: bryan | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM

Think about that next time you ask what the Princeton has won.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 30, 2008 11:44 AM

"Also, forgot to mention that Sacramento ran a form of the Princeton offense when they had the Webber/Bibby/Peja/Divac core at the beginning of the decade"

Prada...what offense wouldn't perform with that lineup?

The PO was designed as an offense that could compete with more talented opposition, by controlling the ball, and waiting for back door cuts, and wide open jumpers, and offensive put backs with the larger defenseout of position.

Princeton was woefully undersized, and lacking in talent, neither of which is the situation with the Wiz.

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM

Also college ball started with the 45 second shot clock, which is now 35 seconds compared to the NBA 24 second clock. A big difference and another reason that the PO is inadequate in the NBA, as is our coach who thinks he has implemented it.

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:59 AM

"Think about that next time you ask what the Princeton has won."

Given that the Kings never even won a conference title with Webber, let alone an NBA title, the answer would be ... "nothing."

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 12:01 PM

Artest could have made sense if the Wiz wanted to rent a player to make a run, But I'm not sure he'd have given them enough to get out of the east this year anyway.

Combined with the potential downside of Artest lapsing into dealing with his personal demons(the guy's possibly Bi Polar), and his wanting a big payday after this year, or he'd move again. Artest probaply wasn't worth the gamble for the Wiz.

That combined with having no salary the ends this season meant the Wiz probably didn't have the ammo to pull this one off anyway. Houston had to do something to end McGrady's one and done streak. Ernie didn't want to give up alot for a possible one year rental, And the Wiz didn't have the room for a sign and trade giving Artest his big payday.

The Wiz's big three are all locked up for the next couple of years, the next step up has to come from Blatche and Young. Grunfeld seems to be very set on giving those two the opportunity to step into the rotation and allowing them to compete for minutes with the starters.

I would have tended to give Artest a really long look, I just would have loved to him lock up with LaBron in a playoff series. But Grunfeld let Mason go apparently to preserve future cap room and to give Young a shot at major playing time.

Grunfeld's approach isn't explained by simply calling the Wizards cheap. He's taking a build from within, retain his draft picks, and develop the kids to build around the big three tactic.

Blatche and Young aern't years away, the Wizards seem to be making the commitment for better or worse for those two to play big roles this year.

And by not signing a free agent backup at the three it sure looks like they expect McGuire to step up too. For better or worse Grunfeld seems resigned to seeing what these guys are made of next year.

As I've stated before, Grunfeld will either have serious cap space summer of 2010 or Thomas, Daniels and Songalia, and even Brendan Haywood's trade value will increase next summer since Ernie will be holding a group of expiring deals in hand.

It also appears that he can renounce Young, & Pecherov, and McGuire and even Blatche isn't quarenteed for the full five year of his deal. So if this group doesn't pan out around the big three he has another route to go.

For better or worse it appears that a step up by the Wizards this season rides on the shoulders of Blatche, Young, and McGuire. If they don't pan out the next two summers could be real intersting around here.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 12:04 PM

This is why the team played so much better last season without GA. All were incorporated into the scheme, which was once again not the PO.

Posted by: MRICKLEN | July 30, 2008 12:06 PM

I feel that GA is not an adequate PG, but a perfect 2. He is big enough to play that position, and his defensive deficencies would be less noticeable without having to guard the quicker smaller point guards.
Our defense breaks down, because the other PG penetrates at will aginst GA, and thus everyone is in cover up for GA mode. This also effects Aj and BH, as they then have to jump out of position.
When Gil first arrived and we didn't have CB, and had Jeffries instead, we needed GA's firepower more so, not now.
Also he is exposed to more severe recurrence of knee injuries at the 1.
Let DS and AD run the point, or pick up a younger and defensive oriented PG.

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 12:19 PM

Shaq, Duncan, this year Garnett won the title. Even the year's that Jordan sat out it was Hikem the Dream's time to shine.

For all the talk on here about winning a title or you're worthless, the NBA is still dominated by dominate big men. And there sure aren't many to be had. The Princeton Offense is a way to compete without being dominate in the paint. In fact with a good Princeton center the idea is to pull the other team's big man out of the paint.

The Kings' failure to win a title has more to do with Chris Webber never quite making over the top to be that dominate big then it did with the failure of the offensive system.

A coach and X and O all day long, but in basketball it still comes down to having talent on the court. No offense in basketball is going to allow four undersized white guys to win the title.

I'd trade any two Wizards on our roster for Duncan or Howard, who may be the next big thing in this league. If "Superman" keeps working on his offense and his free throw shooting, he may be the next real force to contend with.

It's the Wizard's bum luck that Kwame was at the top of the draft when they got the number one pick instead of Howard. But that just goes to show there's not one of those guys out there every year.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 12:37 PM

"I wish someone would explain to me how we are going to pay Artest next year when he becomes a free agent. I sure he will be looking for more than 12 million. You guys must think Abe Pollin is Mark Cuban.

Posted by: bryan | July 30, 2008 11:38 AM "

Agreed, so next time Abe talks about his visions of grandeur with hoisting up championship banners at VC before he kicks the bucket, we'll do what Howard Stern's father told him when he was a young boy.

"Shut up and sit down!!"

Or, we can do what the UMd terps fans do. Chant:

"BULLSH!T...BULLSH!T...BULLSH!T...."

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:38 PM

"Also, forgot to mention that Sacramento ran a form of the Princeton offense when they had the Webber/Bibby/Peja/Divac core at the beginning of the decade. That got them to the 60-win plateau and right on the doorstep to a championship.

Think about that next time you ask what the Princeton has won.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 30, 2008 11:44 AM "

knockoffprada master.

Do you know what you said?

You said they won 60 games and were on the doorstep of a championship.

Sorry, but that and a dollar won't get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:42 PM

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM "

This statement needs to be framed somewhere...

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:44 PM

"I do feel , however, that the Wizards, as are most teams, are much better when they are passing and sharing the ball, and the offense shines when this happens. In fairness to DCman, this does not happen often enough with Gilbert on the floor, as the offense stalls just waiting for GA to "take over".

Posted by: MRICKLEN | July 30, 2008 12:06 PM "

This needs framing too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:47 PM

"When it comes to winning in the NBA, when you throw out MJ's six titles the league is still really dominated by teams with dominate big men.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 12:37 PM "

Hmmm, and you wonder why I said that Okafor, who was available, should have been considered.

Nevermind the fact that AJ was signed when Okafor's name was out there, I was beating the drum even before that that we should have signed and traded AJ for Okafor in the beginning.

We would have gotten much younger guy, and the bobbycats would have reunited the UNC Heel Club and AJ could have provided a vet presence in NC, where he wants to eventually retire anyway.

It was obvious to everyone but the blind that last season that we had no defense or inside scoring at the 4. This season, with Elton Brand coming to the East, Beasley in Miami, and others stepping up, it's more important than ever that the Wiz have a scoring, defending, and blocking 4. I don't think AB can handle that, and I don't think management would ever let AB start in front of AJ at the 4. Okafor, maybe.

Now, it's too late until mid next season for a trade that won't likely happen.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 12:54 PM

"When it comes to winning in the NBA, when you throw out MJ's six titles the league is still really dominated by teams with dominate big men".
Dcman, don't forget Rodman, he was the dominant bigman of his time. He numbers and inside defense were more consistent and inspired than O'Neal and Garnett.
I agree that a big inside presence is necessary, and certainly BH is not close to the answer,but Cartwright was a good filler, not unlike BH.
Okafur could have teamed inside and made that difference with the Wiz, that Rodman and Cartwright made. Also Horace Grant was a great complement inside as well for the Bulls..

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 1:18 PM

Gee I guess dcman is back

Posted by: khrabb | July 30, 2008 1:20 PM

"Besides we do not run the PO, we run an outside weave for about 6-10 seconds and then all hell breaks loose as the shot clock winds down, and we fall into one on one jump shots. This is not the PO. "

I tend to agree. There are portions, even sometimes, the majority of a game where the Princeton is in effect for the Wizards and they are flowing. You'll see the ball move before Caron gets his offense going for a few plays, Antawn and then Gilbert.

But there are too many times where we simply bring the ball up, make a pass or two then jack a 3 or fail to go inside at all.

Posted by: G$ | July 30, 2008 1:38 PM

McGee is less developed than AB was when AB was drafted. McGee seriously looks like he is a good 4 years away from being capable of playing in the NBA. McGee is athletic, but I'm not sure about the talent-level.

Posted by: Re: McGee | July 30, 2008 1:41 PM

i think AB would have been effective if put in games in the right scenario. he, himself, has said his main issues have been strength & conditioning. e j's lack of desire to incorporate young players and having the urgency to win or lose his job played a part in his substitution patterns and quick pull when a player struggled up until this past year when injuries forced him to compromise. hopefully this year, as many have wrote, he will not wear out his Big 3 with 45 minute nights and the youngsters can play through the kinks, progress, become dependable and find a niche.

Posted by: G$ | July 30, 2008 2:36 PM

Where did all these Wiz fans come from with all of these high expectations? Root for 40 - 50 wins and a couple of playoff wins but let's not get all crazy with this championship talk. Learn to be content like me and Abe.

Posted by: bryan | July 30, 2008 3:17 PM

"Gee I guess dcman is back

Posted by: khrabb | July 30, 2008 1:20 PM "

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin' my peers
Puttin' suckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the bass go boom
Explosion, overpowerin'
Over the competition, I'm towerin'
Records shock
When I drop these lyrics
That'll make you call the cops
Don't you dare stare
You betta move
Don't ever compare me to the rest
They'll all get sliced and diced
Competition's payin' the price
(CHORUS)
I'm gonna knock you out
Mama said knock you out
I'm gonna knock you out
Mama said knock you out
I'm gonna knock you out
Mama said knock you out
I'm gonna knock you out
Mama said knock you out
Don't you call this no regular jam
I'm gonna rock this land
I'm gonna take this itty-bitty world by storm
And I'm just getting warm
Just like Mohammad Ali, they called him Cassius
Watch me bash this beat like a skull
Dontcha know I gotta beef wit'
Why don't you rip with me, the maniac psycho
Cuz when I pull out my jammy, get ready cuz it might go
Blauh!
How do you like me now?
The reverand will not allow
you to get wit' Mr. Smith don't risk
Listen to my gear shift.
I'm blastin', outlastin'
Colors like shaft, so you could say I'm shaftin'
Old English fill my mind and I came up with this funky rhyme
(REPEAT CHORUS)
Shadow boxin' when I heard you on the radio
I just don't know
What made them forget that I was raw
But now I gotta new toy
I'm going insane
Frontin' the hurricane
Releasin' pain
Lettin' you know
You can't gain or maintain
Unless you say my name
Rippin'
Killin'
Diggin' and drillin' a hole
Well I'll pass your goal
(REPEAT CHORUS)
Shotgun blasts are heard
When I rip and kill at will
The man of the hour, tower of power
I will devour
I'm gonna tie you up and let you understand
That I'm not your average man
When I gotta jammy in my hand
Damn
Ooh
Listen to the way I slay your crew
Damnit
Damnit
Damnit
Damnit
Destruction, terror and mayhem
Pass me a .... I'll slay him
Farmers (WHAT)
Farmers (WHAT)
Ready? (READY)
I think I'm gonna bomb a town
Don't you never, ever
Pull my lever
'Cause I explode
And my nine is easy to load
I gotta thank God
'Cause he gave me this chance to rock
Hard... knock you out
(REPEAT CHORUS)

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 3:32 PM

Okafor, hasn't shown much sign of ever being a dominant big man. 12m for Okafor would have been throwing money against the wall and hoping it would stick like mud.

Just because a team spends money it doesn't mean they automaticlly win. Okafor just doesn't strike me as a peice in a championship puzzle. I'd really place my money on Blatche to have the bigger upside.
I also beleive Blatche has the bigger chance to flame out.

But the Wiz have a whole lot less then 72m wrapped up in Blatche. Okafor though is a good charactor guy and if he could stay healthy is a nice playerjust not a 12m per year one. Have you ever watched a game where Okafor took over?

In two years we'll see how it pans out, Blatche just seems to be really getting this whole NBA thing. We'll get to see if the work ethic, and drive catch up with the pure talent. If the kid can get himself in real game shape he has the talent to be a force.

Your dominate big doesn't always have to be a center, he can be a power forward. Haywood takes alot of punishment on this site, but teamed with Blatche they can be very good inside. Jordan used that combo very little last year because he was depending on Blatche at backup center, and he was worried about Blatche's getting in foul trouble.

Thomas will play a valuable role this year because he'll allow Blatche to spend more time at power forward. That will enable the Wizards to reduce Jamison's heavy workload and give him some minutes at the three when the matchup is right.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 4:03 PM

EG has taken the conservative route of seeing if the young guys (NY, Blatche, and McGuire) are ready to step up into bigger roles. Thomas, Songaila, and Daniels will be trade bait next summer as they enter the last years of the contract. Except for the Big 3 and Haywood, everyone else on the roster is expendable. Next summer will be the year where EG will really have to earn his money by making a trade if this team doesn't get to the next level. Ron Artest would have been at best a one-year solution and I don't see the Wiz having any expiring contracts to trade.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 30, 2008 4:05 PM

Expecting A Blatche/Haywood combo to provide much more than adequate inside presence offensively is really wishful thinking. Haywood is a garbage man of an offensive player, a guy who gets most of his points by cleaning up scraps left lying around by the better offensive players (rebound put backs, alley opp feeds, feeds going to the rim off someone else being doubled). He creates very little inside offense himself. And, unless he's got a mismatch switch with a smaller player on his back, Blatch is still more effective as a face up, ball on the floor tweener than a low post 4.

Okafor's not dominant, but he's better than either of them as an inside presence. Problem is (aside from his steep price tag) that he plays the same position as Jamison and the positive/negative trade off on the two doesn't really favor having him over Antawn (not that it was ever an option anyway).

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 4:23 PM

Actually, even expecting an adequate inside presence from them may be too much. The lack of an actual, low post go to scorer still remains one of the Wizards' major needs.

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 4:26 PM

Okafur may be a presence on the Defensive end but he is probably as or more foul prone than Heywood and a liability on O. And this past season, we saw that Heywood could indeed hit the baby hook from time to time and does have a few post moves to throw at an opponent. Plus now that Hopla has been working with him, he's 70% + from the line. There were times in the last Cleveland series where Heywood was the best Wizard on the floor (and that's not to say he's better...he simply was playing his best ball while others were not and/or were injured) Like someone else said, Okafur has no take-over a game ability on O and is more the garbage man. Blatche has quite a few post moves and can take his man off the dribble and occasionally even pull up and hit a j or 3. I'd take Heywood & Blatche at their salaries over Okafur and his any day.

Posted by: G$ | July 30, 2008 4:38 PM

I had a comment that got deleted, but basically, blaming the Princeton for the Wizards problems is pretty silly. The Wizards were a top 10 offensive team in 05/06 and 06/07, and were 11th this year despite not having Arenas, losing Butler for 22 games and playing at a completely different tempo. The offense is not the problem, the defense is.

Moreover, my guess is Gilbert would control the ball and shoot even more if we didn't have the Princeton. The Princeton makes it easier for him to get points without dominating the ball even more. This is why I don't get DC Man's hatred of the Princeton; if anything, it lessens Gilbert's role even more.

The comment also mentioned how New Jersey shifted to a Princeton the two times they went to the Finals in 2002 and 2003.

No team has won the championship running the Princeton, sure, but we're talking about pretty long odds. If memory serves me, the three teams I remember running the Princeton are the 2002/03 Nets (with Eddie Jordan as the lead assistant), the 2001/02/03/04 Kings (who won at least 50 games every year and were always a contender) and us from 04/05/06/07/08. Three teams. One made the finals twice, the other was a constant contender, and there's us. Sure, nobody's won a title, but that's pretty good odds compared to non-Princeton teams.

In fact, only one motion offense has ever won a title (the Triangle). Does that mean that all motion offenses should be ditched? Of course not.

Again, the Princeton isn't the problem. The defense is.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 30, 2008 4:39 PM

Posted by: mricklen | July 30, 2008 11:56 AM

Well, of course we don't run the pure Princeton. No team can with 24 seconds on the shot clock. It's a system based on the Princeton, but bastardized to fit the NBA game. I'm not sure what this proves.

The Triangle was the same way. If you think the Bulls ran the pure version of the Triangle, you should go back in history.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 30, 2008 4:43 PM

"Okafur may be a presence on the Defensive end but he is probably as or more foul prone than Heywood and a liability on O."

Simply untrue. Again, he's not a $12 mill player (at least not on a contending team), but salaries aside, he's a much, much more effective offensive player than Haywood. It's not even close.

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 4:43 PM

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 12:37 PM

Really, this is what should be framed.

Posted by: Pradamaster | July 30, 2008 4:45 PM

For the record, last season Okafor averaged 2.9 fouls in 33 minutes. Haywood averaged 2.7 in 28 minutes. So much for him being "as or more foul prone than Heywood (sic)..."

Posted by: kalorama | July 30, 2008 4:47 PM

"No offense in basketball is going to allow four undersized white guys to win the title.

Posted by: GM | July 30, 2008 12:37 PM"

Or undersized black, chinese, or puerto rican guys for that matter.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 30, 2008 4:48 PM

Well 88' you finally said something that I can really agree with. Doesn't matter what color a guy is if can't dribble, defend or put the rock in the hoop...

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 7:32 AM

Okafur is garbage. He's now severely overpaid. Compare his fouls per minute all you want. They don't equate to WINS. He is and will always be a role player on offense and a shot blocking presence on D. He's a cog but not the most vital one. Somebody tell me what Okafur's go to post move is??? A layup off a feed from Raymond Felton? A tip in? He was overhyped at UConn by Dick Vitale and the ESPN gang. He played on a college team with a lot of talent which masked his offensive deficiencies and he's playing on a lottery team in the Pros. The Bobcats haven't won anything with Okafur as their centerpiece. Gerald Wallace is their best player. Coincidentally, it was Vitale who also said Orlando would regret taking Dwight Howard over Okafur. I don't think Orlando wants a do-over.

Posted by: G$ | July 31, 2008 9:01 AM

I'm not saying that Okafur is any worse than Heywood. But he's not a significant upgrade either. And for the $ he's now getting, we have the bargain and to me, the player who if last season was any indication, has begun to show signs of life. Because Okafur is really a power forward and not a true center, there really is no comparison. Now if you want to compare him to Etan Thomas where salaries and skill set are similar, then that would be a more worthwile comparison.

Posted by: G$ | July 31, 2008 9:11 AM

Okafor like Thomas has a defensive minded center's skills in a power forward's body. He doesn't have the ability to move away from the hoop either on defense or offense. He can defend well in the post but gets eaten alive in open space. But he's not particularly dominant in the paint, so he's really not truely a fulltime stating center in this league.

I wondered over the last year if Etan's ability to play well in bursts had something to do with the underlying heart problem he had. Etan never seemed to play well when he carried a heavy load night after night.

But he seemed able to be a high energy guy off the bench. I hope he's able to come in a fill that role again this year. If he'd give us 10-15 minutes a night at center on the second unit it would allow Blatche's minutes to come mostly at the 4.

That is one component of this year's team most are missing, Etan was a solid rotation player that was lost last year. His return to being a solid backup could be a big boost for the Wizard's frontline.

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 10:20 AM

"Okafur is garbage. He's now severely overpaid. Compare his fouls per minute all you want."

I wasn't the one who brought up the fouls comparison, YOU were. And you were wrong.

As for the rest of your rant ...

No one said Okafor was the "most vital cog" a "centerpiece" or the Bobcat's "best player." And certainly no one said anything as patently foolish as the Magic wanting a "do-over." And the fact that the Bobcats haven't won anything with Okafor is leagues beyond irrelevant. The Clippers and Bulls didn't win anything with Brand, but that didn't stop people from pining for him. The Grizzlies won less than nothing with Gasol, but people still got all hot and bothered at the idea of trading Jamison for him.

You maintained that Haywood is a better offensive player than Okafor and, salaries notwithstanding, that is flat out nonsense.

Posted by: kalorama | July 31, 2008 11:04 AM

"Exactly G$, Okafor would be a nice player for 6-8m per year. He's really what the Wizards thought they were getting when they resigned Etan to that contract.

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 10:20 AM "

Nonsense.

Okafor has averaged a double double every year since he's been in the league. Career 14.3 & 10.9.

Etan hasn't averaged, nor has he deserved the minutes, to average anything near a double double. Career 6.2 & 5.1.

Also, Okafor doubles ET in average blocks 2:1.1 and assists 1:.4.

Okafor would have been perfect for the Wiz primarily at the 4 position, and backup at 5.

Wiz still have no low post scoring or defending presence at the 4 and AJ will have to deal with the likes of Brand, Beasley, Bosh, O'Neal, Zach R., etc. this season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 12:03 PM

GM I agree about Etan, when he's healthy he gives us a big boost off the bench. He comes in with alot of energy and gives us a physical inside presence we lacked last season. He is best coming off the bench where he can give us a boost, and sometimes flat out dominates against the other team's backups. He also allows us to rest Haywood, gives us an alternative to Blatche who can get pushed around, and hopefully move Songaila out of the center rotation. But it will definately be great to have Etan back in the mix!

Posted by: Darnell | July 31, 2008 12:14 PM

Okafur's double double comes in Charlotte! Charlotte which up until last season, the looks he gets are generally when his team is behind. Opposing coaches are not game planning against him. Opposing defenses are no more concerned about him getting off on offense than they are with Heywood. 20 points from Okafur isn't the difference in any game. If/when Heywood gets a double/double and the Wiz won, Heywood's impact loomed large. The fact was stated that he is foul prone. They both are. Okafur plays a few more minutes per game than Heywood and the fouls are about even. On the flip-side, he plays more minutes and the points per are also about the same. To me, that stat equates to being a better offensive player. We'll never know if Heywood will get more minutes. With a healthy line-up, odds are they decrease or stay around 30 per game. You are the same guy that said JJ Reddick can't get his shot off because of some scouting report.

Posted by: G$ | July 31, 2008 12:35 PM

As for Etan, I agree that he will be an asset spelling Jamison & Blatche at the 4 and/or Heywood at the 5 on nights when the matchups are right. Hopefully, he can come back healthy and be the enforcer, bang, rebound, block shots and provide some timely post scoring in limited minutes.

Posted by: G$ | July 31, 2008 12:48 PM

"Okafur's double double comes in Charlotte! "

So? Is there some kind of double-double exchange rate from city to city?

"Charlotte which up until last season, the looks he gets are generally when his team is behind.

Utter nonsense. He's their 3rd leading scorer (.1 percentage point behind Felton) and took the third most FG attempts on the team.

"Opposing coaches are not game planning against him. Opposing defenses are no more concerned about him getting off on offense than they are with Heywood."

The fact that you think this helps your point is mind boggling. It doesn't matter if they're "game planning" against him, the simple fact is that Haywood is surrounded by more offensive talent in his starting lineup than Okafor, so he gets less defensive attention. Despite that, he still produces less on offense. And I guarantee you, there's not a coach in the NBA who isn't more concerned with the offense from an opposing player who averages 14 ppg over a 4-year career than they are with one who's averaged 7 over 7 years.

"20 points from Okafur isn't the difference in any game."

Again, nonsense. If your third leading scorer puts up 20, it obviously makes a difference.

"If/when Heywood gets a double/double and the Wiz won, Heywood's impact loomed large.

Nice try at building an argument by starting with the conclusion and working back, but it still doesn't work.

"The fact was stated that he is foul prone."

Except it's not a fact. 2.9 fouls in 33 mpg is not "foul prone." In fact, that's a pretty low number for a defensive oriented big man.

"Okafur plays a few more minutes per game than Heywood and the fouls are about even. "

Which, by definition, means that Haywood is more "foul prone" than Okafor.

"You are the same guy that said JJ Reddick can't get his shot off because of some scouting report."

Nope. I'm the guy who said Reddick couldn't get his shot off because he's too small, too slow, and can't create off the dribble, facts that were conformed by multiple scouting reports (to say nothing of his permanent seat on Orlando's bench).

Posted by: kalorama | July 31, 2008 1:05 PM

And what does JJ Reddick have to do with anything?

Posted by: kalorama | July 31, 2008 1:07 PM

"

Posted by: Darnell | July 31, 2008 12:14 PM "

So, how does ET help you when the other team's STARTERS at the 4 or 5 are kicking your butts?

ET is a benchwarmer. Okafor is a starter.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 1:32 PM

"Haywood is surrounded by more offensive talent in his starting lineup than Okafor, so he gets less defensive attention. Despite that, he still produces less on offense"

Last I checked, if one is surrounded by offensive talent which happens to be one of, if not, the highest scoring trio in the league, you don't need 20 points a night from your 4th and 5th option.

minutes and playing time directly equate to point production. Heywood's minutes are a combination result of Eddie Jordan pulling him when/if he struggles or gets a couple of quick fouls. You know there is personal animosity from their history and Eddie wanting Etan to get more minutes. And without Etan last season and no viable backup at the 5, he also had to monitor his minutes and seemed content to only let him play 30 - 35 minutes on a given night.

the fact that you base fouls per minutes by an nba average over an 82 game season is silly. if a guy plays every game and fouls out of a few, that's going to raise his foul per avg. no different than a batting average over a 160+ game season in baseball or a goal against average in hockey.

Reddick can get his shot off. that whole argument had to do with the fact that if he were a Wizard on a team with a 1 and a 3 who could penetrate and kick, he'd be shooting wide open shots. we'd never need him to create his own shot off the dribble or beat people one on one. last i checked, steve kerr, john paxson, jeff hornacek and many others made careers out of it.

Posted by: G$ | July 31, 2008 2:42 PM

No one in the league offered a contract that Charlotte had to match, they offered what his agent wanted in order to keep him from becoming a FA next summer, and to avert the damage forcing him to sign a 7m tender would have done.

One problem he's had has been the inability of Charlotte to make up their mind if he's a center or a forward. He bulked up so much that it increased his problems with mobility and then they decided to change is offseason workout plan.

He's far from garbage, and he could yet develop into a solid NBA player, but he gets a lot of stats during garbage time. He's a guy that's worth somewhere in the 8m dollar range not 12m.

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 3:15 PM

"As always 88 you fail to read and understand before responding. I said "Okafor is what the Wizards Thought they were getting when they resigned Thomas"

I never said that was what the got or compared Okafor's stats to Thomas's. Thomas has shown an inability to stay healthy or produce when he's logged heavy minutes on a regular basis. He's never lived up to the contract he was given."

How in G#d's green earth did you figure or the Wiz figure that ET would ever, ever, ever become someone like Okafor? When did ET ever, ever, ever average a double double in one single season? Ever?!?!

"But the point was Milwaukee offered that deal to Thomas and the Wizards matched it based on what they thought Thomas could do in the NBA. That was what the market set Thomas's value at."

Yes, another thing we can blame EG for. Overpaying for a guy who's never, ever, averaged a double double.

"My point about OKafor's play is still this, he has the skills of a college center, and the size of an NBA power forward. The guy is comfortable in the lane defensively and offensively, but has no post game."

Hmm, who on the Wiz has a post game? Who on the Wiz can defend the top dogs in the East at the 4? For a guy who has no post game, he's averaged over .500 the past 2 seasons and double figures in scoring.

"Put him in space and he's lost, he hasn't shown the ability to gaurd a guy like Jamison, or Garnett, or anyone else that can pull him 15' from the rim and show him a decent move."

When has AJ shown the ability to guard anyone, whether in the post or away from the rim?

"I gauge him in his matchups with the other power forwards in the league, he's got a long way to go to be anywhere near one of the league's best. And paying 12m a year for a guy that isn't one of the best at his position is badly over paying.

Giving up Jamison for any deal involving Okafor would be a step back not a step forward for this club. "

Okafor is a 25 year old big man who's averaged a double double every season of his career and averages 2 blocks/game. AJ is a 32 year old big man who can't score or defend in the post or outside the rim.

To you, giving up AJ is a step back, but the Wiz, with AJ, have been one and done the past 3 seasons.

Enough said.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 4:18 PM

You can site stats all you want, I gauge players on what they do in head to head with the other top players at their position. Oakafor is not a top power forward in this league and hasn't shown the ability to guard the top power forwards either.

Again, he's a nice player, he's just not a guy that I'd give Jamison up for. He hasn't shown the ability to put a team on his back and will them to wins. Jamison has.

With the young group in the lockerroom the Wiz have I wouldn't give up Jamison's leadership for Okafor. Trading a guy on the downside of his career for a rising young player is often a smart move for a team that is rebuilding. But Jamison isn't on the downside of his career, last year was probably his best ever.

And the Wizards aren't planning an overhaul, they lost two rotation player for the year last season. One of them was rated to be one of the top 15 players in the league. Despite all of that the team's record improved.I'd be willing to give this group of players and coaches another year to work together in this defensive system.

That would indicate theat the team's depth and bench play has improved over two years ago. Like I said, the improvement this year will come from Blatche, Young and McGuire. Not to mention the return of a healthy three time Allstar point guard and Etan Thomas who was an important part of the team before heart surgery.

Overpaying for Okafor wasn't going to improve this team. In two year's time check back, I'm willing to bet Blatche will be the better player of the two.

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 5:26 PM

"And how many games did the Bobcats win last year with Okafor as their featured big man?

Posted by: GM | July 31, 2008 5:26 PM "

That would only be a fair question if Okafor made 16 mil last season like AJ. Unfortunately, he didn't.

Guess what, they also got a new coach this year too! That's their overhaul. And, they lost Gerald Wallace towards the end of the season.

Wiz?

Same coach, same thing...status quo...ho hum...

Okafor, at 25, doesn't need to be the "top power forward in the league." What he offers is what the Wiz need, and that's defense at the 4 and scoring in the paint.

Jamison has willed the team to wins? Like when? During the playoffs? Please note last season during the playoffs that when AJ was the leading scorer, the team lost the game against the Cavs.

The Wiz lost 2 rotation players last season? How about the Cavs having an entirely new 1/2 roster with Ben, Delonte, Joe, and Wally, nevermind a beat up Boobie to go with "sideshow bob" and Mike Brown as coach?

Next thing we know, you'll be raving about Opech being a gym rat again.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 31, 2008 6:43 PM

Okafor for Jamison was never going to happen... The only power forward swap the Wiz should ever entertain would be for the likes of Carlos Boozer, which ain't gonna happen either.

The Wiz, as now constructed, NEED AJ both as player and leader. The only hole is a backup wingman, so its back to Bonzi, D Miles or Fabio.

Posted by: khrabb | August 1, 2008 6:53 AM

And Mike Brown is a liability? I don't like the style he plays, I'd rather see them put LaBron in a "showtime" up tempo system. That would be how he would best be able to show his real talent. But I sure can't question Brown's success at winning with what he's got around LaBron.

If you didn't see Jamison put the Wizards on his back and carry them to wins last year, then you weren't watching. Expecting the Wizards to beat the Cav's at less then full strength wasn't realistic.

Jamison/Okafor was never happening, it was just another angle at your daily attack on the Wizards for being cheap. But not paying Okafor 12m per year isn't cheap, it's just smart. You say Okafor doesn't have to be one of the top power forwards in the league.

Well for 12m per year, he really needed to be. The Wizards paid a really high cap number to bring Jamison here, sure you can make the case that he's not worth 16m per year. But look at where the Wiz were before that trade and where they've been since. And you say Jamison hasn't won games for the Wiz?

He's a young power forward that needs time to develop his game, so is Okafor. Bringing in Okafor would mean dividing up minutes between two young power forwards who both can be foul prone at times.

The Jamison/Blatche tandom gives the Wizards a solid proven vet to mentor the young guy and it gives Jordan the flexibility to shift Jamison around to give him the best matchup to take advantage of the veteran's scoring ability.

Pecherov isn't the first young big to suffer ankle/foot problems. Has to do with how fast these guys grow. Remember how many year's big Z had the label "bust" hung on him in Cleveland?

I might be the only one on this board who still likes Pecherov. Time will tell 40 some years of watching the NBA has taught me to be patient with big guys, I still like a young 7' with a nice shot and good hands, and the ability to mix it up under the boards. The kid's got to mature into that frame, it's going to take a little time.

And yes, from what I hear he is a Gym Rat, and what's wrong with that? That seems to be the common trait that all of Ernie's youngsters share, none of them are afraid of working hard at what they do...

Posted by: GM | August 1, 2008 8:19 AM

"But the Cav's had their best player all year long and the Wizards didn't, the Cav's pulled a mid season trade that brought them a former allstar and top defensive player in Wallace."

Best player alone doesn't guarantee you anything. What did MJ win without Pippen, Rodman, Bison Dele, Paxson, Kerr, etc.?

Gilby is the Wiz's best offensive player, not the team's best well rounded player.

"But the fact is that the team improved their record without an Allstar starter and a major rotation player. The addad experience that Blatche, Young and McGuire got last year will contribute to the team's depth this coming year."

And that speaks volumes, that a team plays better as a team without their "best offensive player."

I'd be willing to say that AB, NY, and DMac got some PT, but didn't necessarily grow as players. There were just....there."The other thing that makes no sense about bringing in Okafor is that he plays the same position as Blatche. Right now Blatche is the most talented young guy the Wizards have. Neither Okafor or Blatche are a fulltime center. And Blatche isn't really a small forward either."

AB has the skills of a player who's best suited facing the basket, not stagnant at the 4 with his back to the basket getting pounded by bigger 4's.

In fact, with his length, he's probably better off trying to face against the 3's in this league.

Being a gym rat is great, but the games are played during the regular season.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 8:48 AM

All of these guys want to prove they can play away from the hoop. What they figure out eventually is that moving away from the hoop and putting the ball on the floor plays into the smaller guy's strengths.

Posted by: GM | August 1, 2008 11:39 AM

"The Wizards improved last year as a team, not one single comment out of that lockerroom indicates that the team thinks they're better off without Arenas."

Yeah, funny how a team improves when your "best player" isn't playing. Put another 12 mil slot player in there and any team should improve.

"Until you see a healthy Arenas on the court with the team, you have nothing factual to base your claim that the Wizards are better without Arenas. But the discussion was about the trade you proposed, not Arenas."

What the Wiz fans have seen is 3 seasons of one and done. Two seasons ago, the team went from #1 at the all star break to #7 with Gilby in the lineup.

"Okafor for Jamison was never happening, and it wasn't just because the Wizards are chaep, it's a move that made no sense for the Wizards as a basketball move."

I knew it wasn't going to happen either, but that doesn't mean I or others can't say this trade should be discussed.

You say it doesn't make sense, but what makes sense is that 3 seasons of one and done should compel EG to make a serious move. Instead, you and others are hedging the "until they play together" position and hoping for health. You guys will probably ride that slogan into the sunset.

"Blatche, like so many other bigs that come into the league young, right now has a better face the basket game then post up game. That doesn't make him a three, it makes him a four that's got some learning to do."

AB is not just a face the basket guy. He has the ability to pass and find the open man and maybe even lead in transition. Those opportunities won't be realized if he's just hanging out in the paint as a 4.

"Garnett spent years trying to prove he could play away from the basket. What he eventually did is matured into his body and became a dominant power forward that can play bursts at center.

You sound foolish comparing AB to KG....a future hall of famer. It's an isolated pipe dream expectation. For the most part, KG still plays facing the basket with short J's rather than back to the basket low post moves. KG is only at the 4 b/c of his height.

"Blatche showed some real signs of understanding that during summer league. He's got the tools, if he matures physically, and gains the drive to compete at the highest level, he can be a real find at power forward."

Please don't base any arguments on summer league. It's almost as weak as people who talk about productivity at Barry Farms and how it will translate to success in the NBA.

"The nice thing about him is that defensively he can give teams fits at the at the three, and can go at center for short periods of time. Along with Jamison he gives Eddie huge amounts of flexibility up front."

If he doesn't foul out first. Last season, averaging 20.5 min, he averaged 3.1 fouls.

"Sometime read one of Micheal Jordan's books, according to MJ you don't improve your game during the season. It comes from being in the gym working all summer long when other guys are relaxing. Some of us old guys call that being a "Gym Rat"."

With Opech's injury prone off season history, he's better off taking it easy. Him working on his jump shooting at VC isn't going to help the Wiz in the paint.

"Make fun of it all you want, but that's how players and teams get better. We'll see what the Wizards look like when the games start up again.

Posted by: GM | August 1, 2008 11:39 AM ""

Can't wait for mark to predict again that the Wiz are a finals team.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 1:41 PM

Why don't you talk about players who are actually available?

Posted by: Darnell | August 1, 2008 4:23 PM

A guy we should be looking at signing is Bobby Jones who was waived by the Knicks.

Posted by: Darnell | August 1, 2008 4:28 PM

Check out these scouting reports on Jones:

He's a 6-7 sf/sg lockdown perimeter defender, tough and athletic. He's exactly what we need off our bench, and would fit well in our uptempo style. And he's in our price range.

Posted by: Darnell | August 1, 2008 4:37 PM

"I don't get this obsession with Okafor, didn't he already re-sign with Charlotte? MJ wasn't gonna deal with us anyway. Get over it!!

Why don't you talk about players who are actually available?

Posted by: Darnell | August 1, 2008 4:23 PM "

Get over it?

Yeah, EG, you've done a magnificent job with status quo this offseason. Take a vacation, your work is done here.

Whatevah...

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 1, 2008 6:33 PM

Darnell, You called the McGuire pick last year, I'd agree Jones could make a lot of sense for the Wizards.

And since his shot is what's keeping him away from being an NBA player, Hopla could be just the guy he needs. One thing about Coach Hubbert and Wes Jr. if a player is willing to put in the time those guys will be out there helping him work.

For a young guy willing to work, the summers and then the sessions before games can really make a guy's game grow.

Posted by: GM | August 3, 2008 9:27 AM

My brother said you were at river city days. sorry i missed you man. maybe i will see you next time you are in town, and i can show that i can dunk all over you still. later mags (the dunking machine)

Posted by: jeff magnuson | August 3, 2008 11:32 AM

this thread is dead

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 3:58 PM

Bobby Jones was picked up by Miami.

Posted by: Darnell | August 6, 2008 7:04 PM