Vegas baby, Vegas!

Not long after walking into Dulles for my flight to Las Vegas this morning, I spotted a couple of Wiz fans (Mike and Tony) who had just checked in themselves. They recognized me and said that they've been to Vegas numerous times in the past but had never caught summer league. I told them that they'll enjoy. I will as well.

The Wiz, who are 0-2, tip off against Cleveland at 8 eastern time and I'll be very interested to get an upclose look at the young fellas, particularly JaVale McGee and Nick Young. I'll post a pre-game update with info on Oleksiy Pecherov, who missed the first two games with a left ankle sprain but has hoped to play this weekend. The early word is that he's been able to do some shooting and hasn't practiced so likely won't play tonight.

I also plan on catching up with Ernie Grunfeld, Eddie Jordan the rest of the crew.

After so much free agency stuff, it's going to feel good to write about basketball again. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and a quick shot out to my friends who are taking care of my dog this weekend. Good looking out K and R.

By Ivan Carter |  July 18, 2008; 3:23 PM ET
Previous: Wiz 0-2 | Next: Wiz and Cavs, Game 3 of SL

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

what kind of dog? what's his vertical? what does he shoot from the line?

Posted by: patrick | July 18, 2008 3:49 PM

Good luck getting on the record quotes from Ernie and Eddie.

Posted by: rgz | July 18, 2008 3:53 PM

Ivan thanks for the update, read a very interesting article on Gil's trip to the Phillipines for Adidas in the NY times, how he was mobbed by the fans treated like a superstar ( which he is are you listening dcman88?) given standing ovations everywhere he went, gracious to the fans signed autograph's well beyond his allotted time. Odette Velarde(Adidas marketing manager) remarked "Gil was Mr. Congeniality" signing jersey's and anything the fans asked him to, this is why I am a huge Gilbert fan because he gives of himself and oh yeah he's got game!!!!.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | July 18, 2008 3:54 PM

Does anyone know if this game will be on Comcast tonight, or is it only on NBA TV? I have Verizon Fios and they don't carry the NBA channel, only the NFL channel.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | July 18, 2008 4:08 PM

hey ivan thanks for the update but whats up with matt barns is he still a free agent and if he is whats is eg thoughts about him coming hear.

Posted by: brandon | July 18, 2008 4:22 PM

I am really interested in seeing J.J. Hickson play. I was a proponent of the Wizards trading for a 1st round pick in the 20s and picking him, but I was surprised when the Cavs picked him at 19. I agree with a lot of the experts (i.e. people who are objective analytical observers of the NBA, unlike many of the over-reactors on this blog), who said that Cleveland reached with this pick. Most GMs use some variation of a Risk vs Reward analysis to choose a player and JJ should not have measured out as even a top 24 prospect. Once you got past the 4-star or 5-star players in this draft, you had a mix of low risk, they-are-who-they-are players like B. Rush and high ceiling, big reward players like Speights and Ajinca.

Hickson is a guy who
1)will likely be a career back-up;
2)has very slim star potential;
3)despite the low ceiling, has lots of bust potential.
The truth is that his best qualities: rebounding and post scoring may not translate to the NBA because of his measurables. So, despite the fact that I do think that JJ would have been a nice fit with the Wiz, I would have taken McGee at 18, too. Even if it does not work out, that just means that evaluating talent is like playing poker, sometimes you make the right play but luck goes against you.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 18, 2008 4:23 PM

Trade Proposal: DCMan to the Bobbycats for future considerations.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 4:36 PM

They need to put Pech down, cause this horse has a bum ankle and always will.

Posted by: Charlie | July 18, 2008 4:37 PM

My Directv guide list the Mystics not Wizards game tonight on Comcast & NBA TV. Anyone know if the game will be available on Directv?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 4:42 PM

i have nba tv and it said the game is on at
10:30 pm on tape delay.

Posted by: Mikey | July 18, 2008 4:48 PM

Thanks Mikey

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 4:59 PM

Based on upside, McGee was in all probability the best choice for our pick in this year's draft... and probability is all anyone has to go on at any point in the draft, except that some GMs are a bit more shrewd at estimating the odds of success or failure.

Brandon, I checked the free agent list pretty closely this morning and Barnes is still available, as is Nachbar. Either could help and in a few weeks one of both of them is likely to be available for a very good price (for example, a two year contract at $1.5 million for year one, $1.75 million for year two at the player's option)... which is pretty much what the Wizards did with DS.

Dee Brown's contract is only partially guaranteed. If he flops it will cost very little to cut him and either leave the roster slot open or replace him with a free agent rookie for around $400,000.

Signing T Lue would have eaten up money we need to spend on a back up 3 who can score.

Posted by: khrabb | July 18, 2008 5:00 PM

I want marco belinelli (did i spell it right)

Posted by: Mikey | July 18, 2008 5:19 PM

Wilbon & Kornheiser are going to Vegas for the Summer League?!?

Posted by: WebberDC | July 18, 2008 5:39 PM

Khrabb & Sportswiz: who else besides Mghee in the 15 - 25 draft pick range do you peg as decent bets given the draft position?

Posted by: Cballer | July 18, 2008 6:02 PM

"Trade Proposal: DCMan to the Bobbycats for future considerations.

Posted by: | July 18, 2008 4:36 PM "

Trade proposal...your momma for a new toilet seat.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 6:30 PM

thanks khrabb for the info but which one would you rather have i think barnes cause he played wit goldenstate and they were a fast break team and the wizards are the same way and i think he might fit in good here what about you khrabb |

Posted by: brandon | July 18, 2008 7:01 PM

Anyone know of any way to watch the game online if I don't have NBA TV?

Posted by: Bryan | July 18, 2008 7:10 PM

"read a very interesting article on Gil's trip to the Phillipines for Adidas in the NY times,"

Posted by: washingtonian | July 18, 2008 7:13 PM

"Thanks, great article. Gil is always accommodating with the fans - he's real. Gil DC loves you!

Posted by: washingtonian | July 18, 2008 7:13 PM "

slurp.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 7:41 PM

I watched all of the games on broadband last year for free (even while I was in Japan - yes I'm a sucker), but it costs $20 now?? Am I missing something?

Posted by: LK | July 18, 2008 7:52 PM

I see.. broadband.. free

Posted by: LK | July 18, 2008 8:01 PM

So AB has now progressed to where he can dominate an NBA summer league game. We'll take it and how his development will continue.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 9:49 PM

We'll take it and hope his development will continue.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 9:54 PM