Wiz 0-2

The main thing I took away from last night's summer league game was this: the 76ers are stacked with young talent. We all know about Thaddeus Young, who worked out for the Wizards prior to last summer's draft, but how about Jason Smith and rookie big man Marreese Speights? Very impressive.

As for the Wiz, rookie JaVale McGee had his moments including that spectacular first half play when he drove, missed a runner off glass but recovered by slamming it down with one hand. How many 7-footers do that? A link to the play is here at nba.com if you haven't seen it.

The guy has incredible tools. He still gets out of position defensively and gets pushed around some but given the fact that he only played two years of college ball and is still growing into his body, the Wiz have reason for optimism.

The Wiz have been way to sloppy defensively through two games. I see guys running around getting out of position all over the place. Offensively, the point guards are not settling the team and getting into sets. It's been very erratic. These last three games will be huge for Dee Brown and I think we all would like to see more consistency out of Nick Young. He and Andray Blatche should be two of the top 10 players out there.

By Ivan Carter |  July 17, 2008; 1:59 PM ET
Previous: Game 2 tonight | Next: Vegas baby, Vegas!

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

How much of the defensive disorganization is due to the head coach? I was shocked to see Wes Unseld Jnr as the head coach last night. Good for him.

I liked seeing Andray being assertive early in the game. But I think maybe a little more team play would have nice.

Posted by: Bart | July 17, 2008 2:19 PM

Many sports stars' photos have been posted on =====Mixed Mingle. c o m===== where many black and white singles who enjoy chatting sports and stars there. It is a place where I keep meeting many black and white single beauties who love sports...

Posted by: van | July 17, 2008 2:21 PM

I don't think the coaching has much to do with the level of defense played in the summer league. I mean the guys are thrown together last minute for the most part, so I think the quality of defense is more what comes naturally to the individual guys on the court.

Posted by: Binpa | July 17, 2008 2:26 PM

Defense is allowed in summer league? The only thing you can really gather from watching these games is whether a guy knows how to tie his shoes or not. Even Skita played well in summer league and he's one of the biggest busts ever. Tskishvili or whatever his real name is.

Posted by: mark | July 17, 2008 2:36 PM

Couldn't agree with IC more; NY needs to step it up, especially on the defensive end. If Dee Brown can't control the flow of the game in summer league, what does he offer as the 3rd PG? I've watched the majority of both games, and I've yet to see him penetrate/create for an easy score. At least J Wallace can shoot the deep ball. Has EG made a mistake with the PG situation?

Posted by: SP | July 17, 2008 3:00 PM

Mghee certainly is interesting. Seems too skinny to project to be anything more than a backup for a few years after a few years of development.

Any news on Hibbert? Anyone seen him play in the SL? I keep wondering if he is as NBA Ready as many on this blog posted.

Posted by: Cballer | July 17, 2008 3:07 PM

Hopefully you bring them some luck in Vegas Ivan. The Wiz young gunners need to be representing more!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 3:15 PM

What I was hoping to see from McGee and so far haven't: relentless rebounding, shotblocking, and a low post game.

What I HAVE seen from McGee and didn't expect but am pleasantly surprised to see: incredible athleticism and agility, decent ball-handling skills (10x better than BTH and with more potential), and a sweet turn-around J in the lane. and the potential for being a good longer-range shooter.

I like the potential of this kid...

Posted by: Sam | July 17, 2008 3:30 PM

"I'll be in Vegas early tomorrow morning and will be blogging on the entire SL as well as writing for the paper throughout the weekend. "

By Ivan Carter | July 17, 2008; 1:59 PM ET

Hey yahoos, that's Ivan's way of saying get off my back, I do my job.

And yes he does it very well.

Keep up the great work Ivan, there are a lot of us that appreciate you running this blog.

Posted by: Baltimore CJ | July 17, 2008 3:35 PM

McGee's nice shooting touch leads me to believe that if he gains some weight and strength (so he can hold his position), and works at it (two big "ifs", I grant you), he can become a consistant low-post offensive threat that would make this team even more difficult to defend.

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 17, 2008 3:42 PM

checked the Pacer box scores and Hibbert hasn't played in any of the Pacers first 5 Summer league games...neither has Brandon Rush

Posted by: G$ | July 17, 2008 3:49 PM

Of course, idiots like DCMan actually insulted me when I said that and said Hibbert would be better.

What fools.

Marreese Speights is going to be an All-Star in this league easily.

Posted by: arenasmvp4ever | July 17, 2008 3:49 PM

Am I the only one who likes what I see from Dee Brown? It's way too early to expect him to know the offense well and know his teammates. The whole offense looks out of synch but that is to be expected.

Give Brown a chance to learn from AD and he'll be a GREAT replacement when AD's contract is up.

Blatche looks like a man amongst boys...at times.

Why are Forbes and Draper getting minutes?

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork.com | July 17, 2008 3:51 PM

We have Houston and Cleveland coming up next. It will be interesting to see Hickson and Green play since we passed on them. McGee is talented, but those two seem ready to contribute immediately and that's what a perennial playoff team should want.

Posted by: Truthsayer | July 17, 2008 3:54 PM

When Abe/EG offered Gilby the max money contract with the "caveat" that if Gilby accepted all this max money, that the Wiz hands would be tied up with regard to bringing any impact free agents.

Then, the PR machine started and we all know that Gilby said he'd take less because he could feed his kids with 16 mil less and that college ain't that expensive.

Upon that milestone, what have the Wiz done since? They let Roger Mason walk and signed Dee Brown pt.2 instead.

"Whoopde d@mn dooooo...."

Did Gilby give up 16 mil for Dee Brown pt. 2? I thought the Wiz were going after Posey, who signed yesterday with the Bobbycats.

Seems like this free agency period has been a lot of status quo, smoke and mirrors, and like Mayberry...quiet and predictable.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 3:57 PM

"Man ... did I not tell you guys that MARREESE SPEIGHTS would be something special in this league?

What fools.

Marreese Speights is going to be an All-Star in this league easily.

Posted by: arenasmvp4ever | July 17, 2008 3:49 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:01 PM

"You deserve to be insulted by thinking any success in the summer leagues is going to translate to PT, nevermind success, in the regular season."
Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:01 PM

Posted by: dc mann88 rules! | July 17, 2008 4:07 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 3:57 PM

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 4:07 PM

"Yeah, kinda like your posts will never translate into respect for your deranged opinions.

Posted by: dc mann88 rules! | July 17, 2008 4:07 PM "

Why would I care about your or anyone else's respect?

What matters is that most of my predictions come true.

I predicted the Gilby circus show could/would result in him getting injured and ruining the Wiz 06-07 season, and it did.

I laughed and predicted that his stupid parachute/biking/barry farms workouts were BS, and could result in reinjury, and it did.

Keep laughing...I'm laughing too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:10 PM

"Gil gave up $16 million over 6 years. That means that if at any point within the next 6 years we sign a quality FA or keep a quality FA off the market (i.e. Caron), Gil will have contributed to that.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 4:07 PM "

And the Wiz passed on Roger Mason and got what in return?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:11 PM

Gilby's discount and Roger's departure should have resulted in an impact veteran this season who can contribute, not a 3rd string, 2nd year small PG who is a huge question mark.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:12 PM

What matters is that most of my predictions come true.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:10 PM

I normally refrain from talking trash, but this kinda made me laugh.

By the way, saying something "could" happen is not a prediction.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 4:13 PM

And the Wiz passed on Roger Mason and got what in return?

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 4:11 PM

Nothing... yet. Maybe by passing on Roger now, as well as with the saved money from Gil, it will allow them to sign someone in the future that they wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 4:15 PM

"Why would I care about your or anyone else's respect?"
Posted by: DC Man88

Obviously you don't. As for your "predictions," it's all empty talk. You've never laid out a coherent thought for what the Wizards, given their draft and salary cap positions, should do. Who to sign or not sign? Who to draft?

But keep the ranting coming. Every court has a fool and you are ours.

Posted by: dc mann88 rules! | July 17, 2008 4:18 PM

Bobbycats is a really bizarre nickname for the Hornets.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 4:19 PM

LOL..........Bobbycats is indeed a funny nickname for the Hornets. Touche' salesman, touche'

Posted by: LooseCannon | July 17, 2008 4:37 PM

Posted by: Truthsayer | July 17, 2008 3:54 PM

Just a quick warning for everyone about Greene. His game, as it is right now, is made for a setting such as Summer League. He will probably look great in Vegas, but it won't translate to the regular season, yet (what happens in Vegas...). He will need to learn how to take what the defense gives you and how to support stars rather than trying to always be one. He has the tools to be a star someday, but his weaknesses will make it hard for a coach to give him extended minutes this year. So, don't go off on EG when Greene puts up thirty.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 17, 2008 4:42 PM

I think Grunfeld said he was waiting to let the market play out a little before he makes a move for certain free agents. I also think he wants to see what he has from the "Small-3" of Young, McGuire and Blatche. Who knows, maybe they wanted to keep Roger but he may have had his mind made up to go to a team where his role could be bigger (he could possibly start for them if Finley leaves). You guys act like just because you want a player he will automatically choose to play for the Wiz. You don't want to get in a bidding war for backup players.

Posted by: bryan | July 17, 2008 4:46 PM

It's summer league, so naturally, the games are semi-organized chaos.

I agree with Ivan about Dee Brown.I think he's been holding back and focusing on distributing. But he's got to start penetrating some and creating shots for himself, too.

Nick Young isn't being aggressive enough.

Blatche looks okay, but I keep expecting him to really take over the game. He hasn't so far. Last year, remember, he had that 39-point game in the LA summer league. He ought to be getting 20 and 10 in Vegas.

I like what I'm seeing from McGuire. He's clearly working on his j and his ballhandling decisions.

McGee has nice ups and he's surprisingly quick. I loved that follow-up slam. This guy is going to be a player, though it may take him a while.

Pech needs to get out there on the court, unless he wants to earn himself a rep as the second coming of Kwame.

Posted by: John Brisker | July 17, 2008 4:47 PM

I hope Pech is the second coming of Kwame Brown. Then we can trade him for a future All-Star.

Posted by: bryan | July 17, 2008 4:51 PM

I agree with SP:

Now, when NY is not hitting his jumper, he has almost nothing since he either can't play defense or doesn't want to play defense. NY needs to work hard on defense and passing the ball. NY will never start in this league if he does not play defense.

Posted by: Joe C | July 17, 2008 4:52 PM

What fools.

Marreese Speights is going to be an All-Star in this league easily.

Posted by: arenasmvp4ever | July 17, 2008 3:49 PM

I'll never be a DCMan supporter, and quite frankly, I don't like sticking up for him, but you can't make ANY projections about a player based on summer league play. A guy could look good, but consider the competition. We'll see what happens when he starts playing in real NBA games. If he performs at a high level then, you can come back on here and slam DCMan all you want.

Posted by: Colin | July 17, 2008 5:03 PM

Posted by: Truthsayer | July 17, 2008 3:54 PM

I think that McGee WILL make a limited contribution this year in situations in which his shot blocking ability can be utilized (e.g., on the last possession of a half or a game). Maybe those other guys will make more of a contribution, maybe not. I'm not sure that summer league is the best place to make that kind of determination. It's kind of like projecting how a rookie NFL player will do in the regular season based on how he did in the preseason going up against other rookies and scrubs.

Posted by: rbpalmer | July 17, 2008 5:04 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Young to become a meaningful defender. He could be a starter in the NBA without playing great defense. Hell, half the guys who make the all-star team in a given year aren't great defenders. But if he wants to be anything more that a score-in-spurts backup, he's going to have to do more with his offensive game than juke guys 20 feet from the rim and then settle for low percentage fadeaway jumpers.

All we heard last season from the anti-Jordan "everything-is-the-coach's-fault" contingent was that Young needed to get more PT because he was the only guy on the bench who could create a shot. Problem is, he too often (as in most of the time) settles for creating bad shots. He needs to work on his court vision and decisionmaking more than anything.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2008 5:08 PM

"By the way, saying something "could" happen is not a prediction.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 4:13 PM "

Gilby will have a relapse and reinjure his knee this season. Doesn't matter...he'll still have 111 mil in the bank for his contract.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 5:09 PM

I'm encouraged by the raw physical skills McGee displays. But, at the same time, there's no ignoring the fact that recent NBA history is filled with big guys with raw physical skills than never managed to develop them into anything of consequence.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2008 5:10 PM

Ivan:
A little ironic when you said, "The Wiz have been way to sloppy."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 5:13 PM

Ditto to kalorama. Nick Young needs to buckle down not just on defense but on offense where he is supposedly so great. Why does Jason Smith have 20+ freakin points and Nick Young looks lost out there? Focus young man. Ivan is right, he should be top in the 10 SL, but I havent seen it.

Posted by: Jlew | July 17, 2008 5:14 PM

Isn't this the NBA - the professional leagues - what's up with.. he only played a couple of years in college, he's a three year project... may develop some defensive skills. This is supposed to be IT.. not the developmental league... why can't we get somebody who is ready to come in and compete? Frankly, I'm tired of waiting for "minor leaguers" to hopefully step it up when/if they mature. Screw that.. we need someone who is going to come in and mix-it-up with the big boys. This is a BS way to operate a team. I'm tired of coulda woulda shoulda... let's get some players on the bench who can get it done. Gilbert should not be blamed or praised for his contract; he wasn't ever worth that much to begin with, and we aren't left with enough to actually get a Posey.

Posted by: LK | July 17, 2008 5:23 PM

The main reason Jason Smith scored 24 against the Wizards is because he was being guarded by the Wizards.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 5:25 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 5:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 5:27 PM

Thanks Ivan! Hope you have a blast in Vegas!!

I definately like what I've seen from McGee!! That one play when it went off the backboard and he bounced up to catch it one handed and throw down! How quickly he was able to go back up, that's rare and only found in athletically elite big men (like C.Web). His length, agility, and physical ability are impressive. He also has a nice soft shot, likes to go glass, and can score in the low post. Alot of the "athletic but raw" players often have that hard flat shot, but McGee definately has the potential to be a scorer. And I think he has the skill to get some run at PF until he puts on more weight and is ready for the 5.

Dee Brown looks quick, but hasn't exactly dazzled me with his playmaking. He showed some ability to score, but he is so short it's easy for his shot to get blocked. His arms look short which effects his handle, passing and defense. On the other hand Wallace looked real good running the team, and shooting the ball until he got pressed into that TO.

I would like to see more of Veremeenko and more of that dude Elegar!!

Blatche looks real good to me. He is playing with hustle and going inside. He looks like he's put on some muscle. He is still only 21!! He's just now reaching the point where he'll start filling out and adding some adult muscle. From what I've seen between him and McGee (ages 21 and 20), we seem to be in pretty good shape as far as our young big men!

I hope Pecherov is able to play Friday. I'd like to see what's going on with him in comparison. Nick Young needs to get stronger, and play with more intensity. He looks lackadaisical out there. He just seems goofy.

I really am glad Etan Thomas is back and healthy. I think he will be a tremendous asset to the locker room. If even just a little bit of Etan's demeanor, intelligence, and intensity can rub off on guys like Young and Blatche that would be a great thing.

Posted by: Darnell | July 17, 2008 5:54 PM

Quotes from NBA Coach Larry Brown:

"I want my players challenged, and I'm not afraid to be tough. But you want to bring out their best. My biggest challenge is letting the guys know the difference between coaching and criticism. You have to make them understand that you are trying to make them better. Put workers where they do their best and get behind them. But don't be afraid to correct them. That's coaching."

"From the best player to the 12th man, you make them understand that you want to make them the best they can be. You're not being fair to them if you don't work with them to reach their potential".

"Our game is a game of mistakes. I tell our players that if you're not making mistakes, you're not trying to win. I don't want mistakes for lack of effort. But I don't want anyone to fear losing. I want them to fear not giving their best effort."

Not in Kalorama or the Verizon Center.

Posted by: Izman | July 17, 2008 6:57 PM

Yes, to me Blatche seemed to have put on more weight...he seemed wider across the shoulders, so perhaps he did put on some weight. McGuire seems serious and ready to play. McGee seems to be about business as well. One of the announcers mentioned that he was angry when they benched him - towards the end...was pissed/mad. I then thought about him playing for E. Jordon...he will be angry a lot of nights. but i think Eddie knows his mother so maybe she will put in a word. Dee Brown does seemd too small but willing to give him a chance before commenting. For some reason he reminds me of D. Taylor, not the height though.

Posted by: washingtonian | July 17, 2008 6:58 PM

For some reason he reminds me of D. Taylor, not the height though.

Posted by: washingtonian | July 17, 2008 6:58 PM

Except D. Taylor's handles were terrible. But, both can't shoot, so they're even in that regard.

Posted by: Colin | July 17, 2008 7:08 PM

Izman, for once your ignorant obsessive creepily stalker-like ramblings actually make themselves useful.

Despite being coached by Larry Brown and his fine and sensible philosophy ... Stephon Marbury still failed to get it. Brown, I'm sure, did all of the things he said in that interview, all of those things that worked so well when he coached Mark Jackson and Chauncey Billups. But none of it mattered with Marbury. Why? Because Marbury failed to listen to a word he said. So, again, it doesn't matter who a player's coach is, if he's not willing to listen, he won't get it. Coaches can help players get better, but they can't make them get better. All the coaching in the world won't help a player who refuses to be coached.

Thanks for underscoring my point. Guess it's true what they say about a broken clock.

Posted by: kalorama | July 17, 2008 7:20 PM

"The second coming of Nostradoofus. As usual nothing constructive, imaginative or logical to contribute, just enraged rantings of a Cleveland/Miami/Seattle lover.

Posted by: | July 17, 2008 5:27 PM "

The second coming of someone below c@m bucket status.

BTW, Gilby didn't just have a tendon repaired. He also had microfractures surgery.

Don't bet on Gilby being the Gilby of 2 years ago just yet come November.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 7:25 PM

a few people wanted Livingston - looks like the suns are interested:

"The Suns have been monitoring the situation surrounding ex-Clipper Shaun Livingston, who hasn't played since February 2007.

He was cleared to resume basketball activities last month but is still not ready to play."

Posted by: washingtonian | July 17, 2008 8:04 PM

"a few people wanted Livingston - looks like the suns are interested:

Posted by: washingtonian | July 17, 2008 8:04 PM "

Too bad for the Suns...they could have had Dee Brown pt.2.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 8:08 PM

Maybe the Bobbycats will sign him! LMAO!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 8:24 PM

Coaches can help players get better, but they can't make them get better.

Agree with this point. As I stated before, it's on the player along with the coach.

All the coaching in the world won't help a player who refuses to be coached.

Don't agree with this because I don't think there is/was/ever will be a player who "refuses to be coached". Plain and simple, Larry Brown failed with Marbury, as did Isaiah Thomas and his other professional coaches. Every player is different, and every player has unique things that make him click. What made Billups and Rasheed Wallace "get it" may not make Marbury "get it." Marbury and Brown simply weren't right for each other. That doesn't mean that if he was traded to a different team, in a different city, with different coaches and teammates that he would be the same insubordinate, stubborn player. All of those factors (coaches, teammates, environment) have a significant effect on a player's mentality.

And that's the way I feel about NY, Andray Blatche, and Gilbert Arenas. It's not all on them to "get it" by themselves. The coaches have to be a part of it as well. If EJ can't get Gil, NY, and Andray to play and work the way they're supposed to, then someone needs to be brought in who can.

Posted by: psps23 | July 17, 2008 8:31 PM

There is no question that if DCMan88 could control his troll-like insults and 'bwahahaing', he'd be a valuable asset to any blog. I was reading this blog last summer, and he was totally correct in everything he said about Arenas. He and I both complained that letting 'the big three' play over 40 mins PG was going to result in injuries, and it did. The reason that jamison dogs it on defense is because he's an old pro and is trying to avoid them. It was obvious even to a half-wit that Arenas wasn't going to successfully come back last season with all that parachuting stuff, and again DCMan called that right.

And he's right about Arenas' contract, too. It's something we'll all look back on in a few years the same way we look back at ET's, only way worse. But the bottom line is: Arenas fills the arena, even when he's not playing, and that's all Pollin cares about. The Bullets won their title in spite of Pollin, not because of him; his bone-headed trades and cheapness probably cost us 3 or 4 more, including one or 2 we would have had if the Pearl had stayed put. So don't ever make the mistake of thinking Pollin is serious about 'another bleeping title'--he wants to fill enough seats to break even and that's it. So far that's worked out--how it will look in two years is another story, but I'm guessing DCMan's predictions will be pretty close to the truth.

Posted by: KTV | July 17, 2008 8:47 PM

Wiz-Summer League:

1) Nick Young-so far can tell he did not put any work into his game this summer-why is he working out with Don Maclean in CA-he looks like a d-league player!! Are we looking at a soph slump and poor 2nd season for nick?

2) Dee Brown-was a bad pick up-he plays hard but It was a reach to sign him as a backup PG -should save money and use it to get a rebounding and defensive big-man.

3) MCGEE-has a lot of potential but he is probably a couple of years away from really
producing..

4) so far-the two teams we played seem to have players who can lead their team-Bayless and Speights-Blatche and Young-I guess think the summer league is a joke and can not takeover a game at the end..

on a positive note-none if these players is in our starting five thank god or we would get crushed!!

Balltime..

Posted by: Balltime | July 17, 2008 9:03 PM

Anonymous poster at 5:27, "nostradoofus", that's funny.

Next time you post, could you just type a few letters in the "Name:" box, it would be easier to reply to your posts that way, and anonymous is hard to spell, which is annoying.

DC Angry Fan Man...your "status" insult: not very funnny, just crude. And C at M doesn't even make sense. Also, no one should expect Gil to be fully healthy right away, especially the Coach. (Most fans, of the team he plays on, hope he will be healthy though. Especially as his game relies on quickness and contact.)

I'm not confident McGee will get much playing time (Etan is just coming back, and he takes even Haywood's minutes), but I hope he has the desire to get better, and bulks up before too long. He already passes better than some of (OK most) the young Wiz. Also I think Songalia, Pecherov and Blatche would get minutes at PF before McGee.

It's great to have summer league on TV.

Posted by: Binpa | July 17, 2008 9:23 PM

Millions of dollars don't make it click....fan support don't make it click...kissing his ass don't make it click...Marbury's ego is bigger than the game, that's what's wrong with most of these guys today... they are immature and ego-centric... give me a hard-working guy with some humility (Kevin Garnett) now that's a superstar... grow up people

Posted by: LK | July 17, 2008 10:03 PM

Ernie: the stove is heating up. Some good guys are getting signed. Better do something soon (as in next week) or I fear all the good ones will be gone. NY is showing that he is still not ready to be a reliable scorer off the bench--give him another year. So you need to sign a veteran 3-point gunner to come of the bench at the 3 position.

Posted by: oddjob | July 17, 2008 10:27 PM

"So, DCman, you'd have some fans here if you made half an effort to be civil. And maybe he'd be more civil if some of the rest of you gave credit where it was due.

Posted by: KTV | July 17, 2008 8:47 PM "

I don't start the exchanges, but I do enjoy responding, because I know these people are only upset b/c I am spot on in my assessment.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 10:46 PM

"...And C at M doesn't even make sense.

Posted by: Binpa | July 17, 2008 9:23 PM "

Cum bucket.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 10:51 PM

How about Darius Miles? He can be had for cheap with little risk. He has a bad locker room past, but it seems that with the severity of the injury and the birth of a new son, he has matured and even called out Maurice Cheeks as being the best coach he's had (remember the infamous locker room confrontation). He's had microfracture surgery deemed career ending by the NBA but has worked his leg into great shape by those who have seen his workouts by the Mavs, Suns and Celtics...no limp, no hitch in his run.

Posted by: jjames | July 17, 2008 10:58 PM

KTV, please! Get real. The 88 dude is simply a lunatic. He turns EVERY post into a Gil bash and if anyone disagrees he starts sexual name calling which should be banned from the blog (for example see his latest post). Many posters on this blog have differing opinions with each other but can express them without going into a tirade when someone disagrees with them...but not 88 sad sack.

It's actually somewhat tragic because he obviously has SEVERE mental issues. But the truth is that no one has any sympathy for him anymore - and why should they?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 11:09 PM

I'm glad you noticed that.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 17, 2008 11:14 PM

Ivan,

We need more candor in your reporting. Here's some which I'd like to counter if I'm going too far.

1. Dee Brown looks like he's going to be cut. Donnell Taylor would be a massive upgrade on Dee Brown. Brown: no defense, no assists and no shot. Ugly.
2. Javale McGee over Donte Greene and JJ Hickson looks VERY suspect. McGee looks lost on defense
3. Nick Young looks like he is USC freshman. Massive turnovers and fouls. Horrible shot selection
4. Blatche, McGuire and Elegar are the stars of summer league so far.
5. Wes Unseld Jr. either hasn't mentioned ball movement to these guys or they aren't listening. Simply awful teamwork for the most part.

Elegar needs a longer look and we need another 3rd point guard if we don't see massive improvement from Dee Brown.

The Wizards drafts the last 3 years don't look too good.

Posted by: ksm | July 17, 2008 11:24 PM

"He and I both complained that letting 'the big three' play over 40 mins PG was going to result in injuries, and it did."

EVERYBODY knows that playing a group of players that many minutes will result in injuries eventually. It's not rocket science. At least I, for one, don't feel the need to state the obvious so I can just pat myself on the back later and say "See! I told you so!".

"It was obvious even to a half-wit that Arenas wasn't going to successfully come back last season with all that parachuting stuff, and again DCMan called that right."

He criticized it AFTER Gil reinjured himself. Hardly a prediction.

"I don't know if you noticed, but each fair/accurate assessment that I make of Gilby results in an onslaught of of garbage by his followers (usually anonymous handles or losers posting using other's handles) against me."

Fair and accurate? Hardly. Most are just personal attacks on Gil because apparently you don't like his personality. You're right about his defense. That's about it.

Posted by: babbtong | July 17, 2008 11:25 PM

Oh, and his leadership. Gil has none.

Posted by: babbtong | July 17, 2008 11:28 PM

the best front court player for the Wizard SL Team is Frank Elegar....He has the physical tools and He has the desire to work...

Posted by: flinstone | July 17, 2008 11:29 PM

"Oh, and his leadership. Gil has none.

Posted by: babbtong | July 17, 2008 11:28 PM "

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 11:54 PM

U all make too much out of summer leauge. When juging rookies u can only juge their induvidual skills (ie..one on one moves, individual defense and all around hustle.) They've had a total of maybe 2 weeks of prep to adjust to life as a pro, new teamates and a new pro system. So that in mind Mcgee looks like a guy with all the tools and an excellent # 18 pick for a team with a long term need at center. So passing on a 3/4 project player was smart. We have backups n depth at the 4/5 who can come in and play. We now need a 3 backup who has veteran leadership n skills. Matt Barnes would be the best move as of now unless a trade is an option. By bringing in a 3 we basically go two deep at every postion and three deep at some. Not a lot of teams can say that. If we stay healthy I think the Wiz will be in pretty good shape.

Posted by: DJS410 | July 17, 2008 11:55 PM

"Once again, this dude has got his baby thong wrapped too tight around his noggin.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 17, 2008 11:54 PM"

Posted by: babbtong | July 18, 2008 12:06 AM

"Plain and simple, Larry Brown failed with Marbury, as did Isaiah Thomas and his other professional coaches."

And how many coaches have to "fail" Marbury before it becomes clear that Marbury is the problem? And why is it that most of the same coaches who "failed" him (Brown, Saunders, D'Antoni, Scott) did so well molding other all-star caliber PGs?

"That doesn't mean that if he was traded to a different team, in a different city, with different coaches and teammates that he would be the same insubordinate, stubborn player."

HA! That's priceless!

He's played on four different teams with at least 6 different coaches and scores of different teammates. He's been the "same insubordinate, stubborn player" in every circumstance. Again, how many different coaches, teams, and teammates does he have to go through before Marbury becomes the root of the problem? All of them?

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 12:15 AM

"See, why do you do that? The personal attacks and name calling? Did I ever attack you? Criticize what I say/type, sure. I understand, I get things wrong.

Posted by: babbtong | July 18, 2008 12:06 AM "

baby thong wasn't born yet 2 seasons ago when I said it was a bad idea for Gilby to participate in the 3 point contest and the all star game because he wasn't feeling 100%.

Participating in the 3 point contest can throw a shooter's stroke off. Even Steve Nash bowed out of the festivities because he said the regular season was more important than an all star game.

Gilby of course felt pressure (self imposed) because he was trying to build momentum off his "Coming out Party."

As we all know, Gilby lost the 3 point contest, didn't win MVP as he predicted he would, and after the festivities, the doctor determined that he had a dislocated clavicle which he proceeded to pop back in place and hibachi declared himself "I'm back."

He wasn't.

The rest of the season, he couldn't hit the side of the barn and after Caron went out, Gilby and AJ proved they couldn't win without him. Wiz proceeded to lose 2/3 of the final 30 games and during that time, Gilby blew his knee out for the final 10.

From first place in the east to 1 game out of 8th place at the bitter end.

Curse of Les BouleS.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 12:26 AM

Siging a player to a near-max-contract is a near-max risk. Even if Gil is all that and a bunch of grapes, if he does not stay healthy that $111 mil will be a ball and chain ... and if he doesn't have the impact ... of course, players are overpaid all over the league but Zero had better earn that contract. This year. With a mostly-healthy season and the playoff round-winning assist in the first round.

... and KTV's right.The first insults in a post always come from someone else, or someone posting in 88's name, and then of course, 88 replies with his filth ... Never mind if you agree with his more, ummm, sober posts or not. This blog would be so much better if people would hold their fire ...

Posted by: Gonzo, MD | July 18, 2008 12:32 AM

If the goal is for Young to improve his defense, floor game, and shot selection, maybe Don McLean isn't the best guy for him to be working with.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 12:35 AM

Posted by: babbtong | July 18, 2008 12:44 AM

"You still haven't answered my question. Why do you throw insults around unprovoked? Are you that insecure?

Posted by: babbtong | July 18, 2008 12:44 AM "

I made an observation about you. If you consider it an insult, it's probably true.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 12:54 AM

Yes, I have been wondering why NY is practicing with Don McLean too. Is he teaching him the chord progressions to "Bye, Bye Miss American Pie"?

Posted by: khrabb | July 18, 2008 4:43 AM

Just scanned the SF free agent list.

Bostian Nachbar (NJ and has always produced against the Wizards), Matt Barnes (topic of much chat here), Pat Garrity (don't laugh, he has routinely killed the Wizards in the past) and Maurice Evans would seem to be the most likely candudates for us. Nachbar and Barnes would seem to be excellent candidates, IMO.

Posted by: khrabb | July 18, 2008 6:00 AM

I have to chime on the the pro-88 KTV postings. Like someone else mentioned, the 88 'predictions' were not really predictions. He ridiculed Gil for the parachute thing but never said that it would cause reinjury.

"the Gilby circus show could/would result in him getting injured and ruining the Wiz 06-07 season"

huh?
I could have sworn it was someone falling on his leg that injured him.

I've had my differences with 88 and we've traded barbs but to say that he's never caused the friction is just plain wrong. I've goaded him before but there have been plenty of times when 88 has jumped right in without much provocation. That said, he's been civil for a while now.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 7:17 AM

I predict that Etan Thomas will have higher averages and totals in every statistical category than he did last season because Eddie Jordan gives him more playing time.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 7:50 AM

Regarding Ivan's comments that Nick Young and Andray Blatche should be top 10 players here, it appears as if we've all deluded ourselves. Nick Young doesn't appear to be all that interested, and then only in short bursts. Defense is not his thing, passing to the post isn't his thing, doing the fundementals to get the best, easiest shot isn't his thing. His "thing" is to try to float and be cool in tough shots, or to take fading shots, even when not guarded. My hopes for him have faded somewhat since SL began. Sure, I suppose he can be coached out of it or sat on the bench, but all this talk about starting him at SG in the regular season should stop now.

Regarding Blatche, while he seems to have put on weight, I would question whether its "gym rat" muscle weight as one of the reports suggested. In the last game, he got so winded, he actually called the bench to put in a sub. On top of this, he's still doing his foul thing. But I do agree he's shown some real skills - now if we could just get rid of the knucklehead living inside his head.

Posted by: sfam | July 18, 2008 7:59 AM

Any takers on Darius Miles?

He could be the backup to CB and comes cheap. I'm not advocating it but is it worth a look? 6'9" long arms, good athleticism.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 8:26 AM

re. Miles, with strong locker room leaders like CB and AJ, maybe he could be controlled a la Jordan and Rodman.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 8:28 AM

miles could be worth it... huge upside if he can be controlled

Posted by: khrabb | July 18, 2008 9:33 AM

Posted by: mygr8kidz2 | July 18, 2008 9:36 AM

"I've been reading this blog for a few weeks now--can someone tell me what DCMan88's problem is??!! If he's such a Gilbert and Wiz hater, why does he keep returning to this site? So much negativity--must be a Knicks fan and he's taking out his frustrations on everyone else. Stop the hating bro, life is too short.

Posted by: mygr8kidz2 | July 18, 2008 9:36 AM "

Stop hatin' bro...life's too short.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 9:38 AM

"As for the predictions, ditto with the broken clock thing. I predict that Caron will miss some games this year due to too much partying and wearing himself out physically. When next summer comes around, I want credit for predicting that Caron missed some games. Whether the reason is correct or not doesn't matter.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 7:17 AM "

I predicted that it would be a bad choice for Gilby to participate in the all star festivities because he was hurt, and it all came true...exponentially.

When Gilby was biking around town and running behind a parachute and playing games at Barry Farms with 9 ft. rims, I said it was a stupid thing to do, and questioned whether the doctors ok'd it. Of course, all that came crashing down too.

Gilby is a predictable guy....

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 9:45 AM

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 12:15 AM

Marbury wasn't always a problem. When he was with the Nets, him and Byron Scott got along well and Marbury was very productive. He was traded because Jason Kidd was a better PG than Marbury. It wasn't that Marbury feuded with Scott or couldn't be coached by Scott.

"I'm very happy. This is a win-win. Both teams got what they want. Jason Kidd is the best all-around point guard in the league. When we chart pluses and minuses, he's always right there behind John Stockton as the most efficient point guard in the NBA. But I'm going to miss Stephon. I still think he is the most talented point guard offensively in the league." - Byron Scott, June 28, 2001

I'd be willing to bet that if Marbury were being coached by Eddie Jordan, he would have the same treatment that Gil gets, and he would be loving it. It's all about finding who's right for your guys.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 10:03 AM

Ivan - "The Wiz have been way to sloppy defensively through two games. I see guys running around getting out of position all over the place. Offensively, the point guards are not settling the team and getting into sets. It's been very erratic."

Summer League play, regular season, playoff games.....what's the difference. Sloppy defense is the trademark of the team.

Posted by: Roy | July 18, 2008 10:25 AM

Just folks here are Wiz fans, doesn't mean there should be positive things to say about the team 99.9% of the time.

This team is talented, but still flawed from decisions or lack of decisions by EG, to the training staff and to the supposed "Big Three". Also, this team is very injury-prone. Let's be real.

As I've said before, having EG around is better than what the Wiz had before in terms of GMs and president of b-ball ops. But he sure has been very uncreative in adding quality players to the roster.

Not one big name or semi-big name FA wants to come to the Wiz.

The Wiz have basically the same team as last year, minus Mason and the addition of Dee Brown. Pretty pathetic.

Dee Brown??? He has played like a scrub from what I've seen so far. He plays OC - out of control - and his passes have been way off the mark.

Also, the lack of maturity and the ability of the younger players - Nick Young, DMac and to a lesser degree AB - to develop their game is ridiculous.

The game of basketball isn't that difficult. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to find 1) a good outside personal trainer 2) a good coach to learn some fundamentals -- dribbling skills, passing, defensive skills and 3) putting in the proper time from lessons learned from 2).

All this BS about these guys putting in hours at the VC and playing like scrubs says a lot. These guys aren't mentally there..e.g. they are possibly dumb as rocks.

The only saving grace on the team is the shooting coach for the Wiz and Randy Ayers. Thankfully, he's helped improve BTH's free throw shooting and CB3's 3-point shooting.

Those two guys LISTENED, LEARNED AND PRACTICED the shooting advice given from this coach.

Randy Ayers still has a lot of work ahead of him in terms of teaching this team how to play defense. But he curbed some of the defensive lapses of this team last season.

The Wizards are lottery bound. Eddie Jordan will be fired after this upcoming season as a result.

Posted by: Baller4Life | July 18, 2008 10:30 AM

Posted by: jjames | July 17, 2008 10:58 PM

just read the SI piece on darius miles ... are the wiz going to work him out? i think he'd be a good guy to take achance on. he says he needs to be on a team with some veteran leaders (Antawn, Caron, AD) and it said he is physucally 100% ... jumped flat footed to touch the top of the square. he's 26! and could be a nice back-up to Caron at a modest price

Posted by: pepcoenerygy3 | July 18, 2008 10:37 AM

OH man, it looks like the sky is falling on this blog and not one "season" game has been played. I guess the glass is half empty on this blog. As usual!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 10:49 AM

The sky is falling because all these posters are my fans...

and the ship still be sinking.

How far can it go? Sky's the limit.

Posted by: Micheal Ray Richardson | July 18, 2008 10:54 AM

"Marbury wasn't always a problem. When he was with the Nets, him and Byron Scott got along well and Marbury was very productive."

He's always been productive on the stat sheet, but it was never the kind of productivity that translated to making the team better because he's a selfish player. The issue isn't whether he likes the coach or gets along with the coach. The issue is whether he accepts the coach's direction and does the things the coach wants in order to help the team. Marbury has never done that. He didn't do it in Jersey, which is why they traded him for Kidd. (Oh, and it was pretty well reported at the time that the relationship between Marbury and Scott was less than rosy.)

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:00 AM

I know most on this blog want EG to sign Matt Barnes, but what about Devean George? I think he would be a better prospect than Matt Barnes.

Also I would like to propose a trade, provided that Chicago accepts, that works under NBA trade machine. It would help with the loss of RM, and the uncertainty of NY.

Wiz sends Etan Thomas and DeShawn Stevenson to Chicago for Larry Hughes.

What you think about that trade? Check the link for yourselves.

Posted by: bullets_0000 | July 18, 2008 11:02 AM

"I'd be willing to bet that if Marbury were being coached by Eddie Jordan, he would have the same treatment that Gil gets, and he would be loving it."

And, again, it has nothing to do with whether the guy loves the coach. Isiah Thomas gave Marbury all the rope he wanted in NY. It didn't stop Marbury from (A) being the same me-first gunner he'd always been and (B) turning on Thomas like a dog and turning his back on his teammates the first time Thomas didn't give him what he wanted.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:03 AM

Chiming in on the negativity on the blog...It's just boring. I really appreciate the posters who cite verifiable facts and statistics, and those who give cogent reasons for their opinions. I also agree with those who say to just ignore the trolls -- don't even respond. It's widely accepted that ad hominem attacks are the lowest form of argument. Why not raise the level of discussion and have more of a community?

Posted by: walter | July 18, 2008 11:12 AM

Here are comments EJ made on JaVale McGee:

One person that's all smiles when talking about McGee is coach Eddie Jordan. Jordan says McGee will fit in nicely with a Washington unit primed to go after an NBA championship.

"JaVale is a very talented young man," said Jordan, following the Philadelphia game Wednesday. "He has all the tools, and his athleticism was a big plus to us. We have a great group of young players, to go with the core of veteran players to make a serious run in the Eastern Conference."

What impresses Jordan the most about his No. 1 pick is that McGee knows he must get better.

"When you have a young man that has talent, plus the desire to get better, great things can happen," Jordan said. "We know about his work ethic, and his background with a great mother. I see nothing but good things for JaVale in the future."

In a humble fashion, McGee knows what he needs to work on, and has the passion to get right to work.

Posted by: bullets_0000 | July 18, 2008 11:19 AM

Hughes is overpaid, injury-prone, and his productivity has been declining for years. At this point he He doesn't do anything for the Wizards that Stevenson doesn't do at a cheaper price. (Their numbers last season were almost identical.)

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:25 AM

I just read that Tyronne Lue signed up with the Bucks. I don't know if his contract is low enough for the Wiz but I'm just wondering why was he not in the Wizards' radar. He could have been the 3rd string ultra quick pg that the team is looking for.

Posted by: Roy | July 18, 2008 11:27 AM

"just read the SI piece on darius miles ... are the wiz going to work him out?"

I hope we work him out! He's definately worth a look.

"Nick Young doesn't appear to be all that interested, and then only in short bursts. Defense is not his thing, passing to the post isn't his thing, doing the fundementals to get the best, easiest shot isn't his thing. His "thing" is to try to float and be cool in tough shots, or to take fading shots, even when not guarded. My hopes for him have faded somewhat since SL began."

I agree. His play and demeanor on the court has been disapointing.

"Wiz sends Etan Thomas and DeShawn Stevenson to Chicago for Larry Hughes. What you think about that trade?"

I would do that. I'd even throw in that Memphis pick we got for Navarro.

Posted by: Darnell | July 18, 2008 11:28 AM

That 'ship be sinking' line is classic.

I think a lot of folks here have already pointed out that summer league means nothing. Even defensive lapses are ok since this exhibition is really just about showcasing the rooks and getting them acclimated to NBA-style ball. If a guy plays well here, it doesn't always translate to the regular season. Ife he stinks here, it's justifiable because he's not in season shape. It's basically just entertainment. The coaches can get a feel for how quickly guys pick things up and we can get glimpses of a guy's athleticism.

I've seen what I need to see from McGee. If he dedicates himself to the game, he could be a taller, more athletic Rasheed. He's actually more Garnett-like than Blatche, IMO. Big guys are usually robotic but he's pretty fluid for a 7 footer. Actually a more accurate physical comparison would be a taller Tayshawn Prince.
Say what you will but AB is the best interior passer on this team. Though we may not want him handling the ball on the break, he's not a bad option in the halfcourt. McGuire is also a good passer. I haven't seen Nick pass the ball yet so I can't make any determination on that. I will say that Nick is a good scorer, though. He had a bad game but tonight when he comes out and scores 24, do we still want to ride him for not improving?

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 11:35 AM

Scoring a bunch of points in what amounts to a pickup game doesn't mean he's improved. We know he can put the ball in the basket. The issue is whether he can do it in a more controlled, efficient, team-oriented manner than he showed last season and so far in summer league. Those will be the marks of his improvement, not the point total in the box score.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:39 AM

What about some sort of sign and trade for restricted FA Ben Gordon?

Maybe some package of Etan or Songaila or Daniels with NY and Pesh.

Posted by: Darnell | July 18, 2008 11:40 AM

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:25 AM

___________________________________________

I will agree with the over paid portion of your statement, but the declining part I just don't see it the way you see it. When LH was with the Wiz his style of play was more suitable to EJ's system. In Cleveland and the Bulls to an extent, he was asked to be spot up shooter. IMO, I think he can be another player who can create offense for himself as well as others. That is something that DS will never be able to do. Bottom line the playoffs is where LH will truly help the Wiz.

Posted by: bullets_0000 | July 18, 2008 11:40 AM

No thanks to Larry Hughes. Stevenson has a much higher true shooting percentage, which is good because he takes less shots than Hughes. I would happily take Ben Gordon off of Chicago's hands.

Nick Young had an off night last game. He's a good player who just needs to learn how to play D. It looks like adding some strength could help him deal with getting around picks.

The big question is Pecherov. Is he a bust?

Posted by: Dellis | July 18, 2008 11:41 AM

He was asked to do more than spot up shoot in Cleveland and esp. Chicago. On both teams he spent a lot of time as, essentially, the PG. He actually started a lot of the games he played in Cleveland at PG, and he did a fair amount of the ballhandling for the Bulls when Hinrich was out of the game.

He's a 10-year vet with a lengthy injury history whose body is slowing down. And since his athleticism was always his primary asset, he doesn't do a lot of the things he did a few years ago as well.

Nostalgia is is nice and comforting, but sometimes you gotta move forward.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:48 AM

I'm not much of a fan of Gordon's, really. But if they could get him for cheap and deal Young I could live with that. I've been saying for a while the Wiz need a stone cold scorer off the bench and Gordan is that. Problem is, that's all he is. He brings no other positives to the court, so when his shot isn't falling or when his defensive deficiencies give up more points than he's scoring, he's gotta sit. But when he's dialed in and on target, he's a nice weapon off the bench.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 11:52 AM

Depends on his role, Kal. If all he's asked to do is fill up the basket when he comes in, then that's all that should be expected of him. Kinda like the Bulls don't expect Ben Gordon or the Pistons never expected Vinnie Johnson to come in and start locking down. I doubt Nick'll ever start on this incarnation of the Wiz team because he'll get no shots with the Big 3 still playing. Our 2 needs to play defense and hit open shots only. That's not Nick's game. If we're trying to change his game to fit our team, we've already committed a classic blunder. Draft a defender who hit open shots in college if that's what you want in the pros. Most guys go with what brought 'em and don't change their style once they reach the pros. Maybe we should have brought in DJ Strawberry (actually what I wanted anyway).
I agree that his summer league game is helter skelter but I'm willing to wait til the reg. season to pass judgement. Some here have already sent the dude to the D league practically. I think he can play well and will. It's tough going from being 'the man' in college to 'the 9th man' in the pros. He'll learn.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 11:55 AM

The sky is falling because all these posters are my fans...

and the ship still be sinking.

How far can it go? Sky's the limit.

Posted by: Micheal Ray Richardson | July 18, 2008 10:54 AM

I remember that quote. Funneee

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 11:57 AM

1 vote for Pech being decent enough to play if he can stay healthy. No way he's much worse than Songaila. At least he has upside. Songaila peaked in jr high.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 11:57 AM

"If all he's asked to do is fill up the basket when he comes in, then that's all that should be expected of him. Kinda like the Bulls don't expect Ben Gordon or the Pistons never expected Vinnie Johnson to come in and start locking down."

Who said anything about "locking down"? I certainly didn't. In fact, in one of my previous posts on the subject, I specifically said I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to become a good defender.

His role on the team is to score. But, as things stand, he doesn't fill it very well. As I've said (multiple times) it isn't just about scoring points. It's about how he scores them. Right now he's an inefficient, one-on-one player. He needs to improve his offensive skills in the area of court vision and shot selection if he's going to become the kind of offensive player that can really be an asset off the bench.

That being the case, throwing up a bunch of bad shots in a summer league game and hitting enough of them to fill the scoring column isn't really an improvement. It's pretty much the same thing he did last season.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 12:03 PM

Ivan is there anyway that we still cut Dee Brown and actually get a serviceable 3rd PG for the regular season?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 12:14 PM

Ben Gordon as a bench player will be good for the team. As a starter, it will make the situation worse. Between Gil, Ben, CB and AJ...how many balls will be needed?

We should not only point fingers at the young players (Blatche, Young) for their lack of improvement but part of the blame should also go to the coaching staff. They should teach these players and motivate them to do better that is why they are called "coach".

Posted by: Dave, | July 18, 2008 12:15 PM

Frank Elegar has been intriguing, especially in that first game against Portland. 6'9", long wingspan, nice post moves. Needs to add some bulk but depending on his attitude could be a future NBAer. It's not like the Wiz need more bodies at the 4, but if Ernie's planning to deal Darius away as part of a trade for a back-up 3, or to declare Pech a bust, or to add a big man now in anticipation of dealing Etan's bloated contract next summer, Elegar might be a pretty cheap option down low. Maybe pick him up and send him and McGee to D League.

The most immediate need, though, is at the 3. Curious to see what moves Ernie makes there, if any. Maybe Dominic's the guy. Pech certainly isn't.

Whoever said Pech is as good as Darius under-appreciates all the basketball savvy and hard-nosed hustle Darius brings to every game, not to mention the ability to knock down those mid-range jumpers consistently. Pech is a wispy reed of a mediocre 3-point shooter who checks out on the defensive end.

Dee Brown is more than a serviceable 3rd string PG. Give him a chance, guys -- at least more than 2 lousy SL games. How many of us were bemoaning the lack of a small, quick PG last year to keep up with the little guys who were torching AD and Roger? Dee's that guy and more and the Wiz got him on the cheap. He's going to surprise you and he'll give Ernie the room to deal AD's contract next summer.

Posted by: Prazak | July 18, 2008 12:37 PM

"The issue is whether he accepts the coach's direction and does the things the coach wants in order to help the team. Marbury has never done that. He didn't do it in Jersey, which is why they traded him for Kidd."

This is where our opinions differ. I think he accepted Scott's direction just fine...it's just that Scott wasn't trying to mold Marbury into Jason Kidd. Scott was letting Marbury be Marbury, and was trying to help him become the best 1st-option scoring PG he could be (whether you classify that as a selfish, me-first gunner is your choice. I personally think it's just a style of play). That was Scott's coaching, and Marbury accepted it (which is why his best years were in NJ).

They traded him for Jason Kidd because Jason Kidd was the best point-guard in the league at the time (arguably better than Stockton), and it was a no-brainer to take him over Marbury. It wasn't a case of NJ saying that Marbury couldn't have worked out, but rather a better option was staring them in the face.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 1:01 PM

"We should not only point fingers at the young players (Blatche, Young) for their lack of improvement but part of the blame should also go to the coaching staff." - Dave

man, so many people are all over blatche for lack of improvement. the kid has improved his game ever year so far. this past season he got on the floor for 8 minutes more a game, increased his fg%, his ft%, doubled his steal average, more than doubled his blocks per game, added 2 more boards a game, and doubled his scoring average. and this is all from a late second round pick straight from high school who's our lowest paid player not still on a rookie contract.

now young has only played a season so far, so we can't really speak about whether or not he's improved. he looked pretty bad in summer league last year too, but had a rookie season that was definitely better than anything his summer league play indicated.

Posted by: JC | July 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Posted by: JC | July 18, 2008 1:23 PM

True. People might be more patient except for the improvements made so far have not been large and more importantly, there hasn't been an attitude where they've dedicated or put forth a huge commitment to working hard to condition themselves and to improve their weak areas.

Posted by: jjames | July 18, 2008 1:34 PM

GO WIZARDS!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | July 18, 2008 1:35 PM

Nick Young is being evaluated in the summer league. Like Burg w/ a U typed, let's wait and see what happens in the reg. season. It's way too early to judge him based on a bad game.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 1:40 PM

"When Nick young is with AD and hes feeding him beyond the arc it will be different."

That might be the case if Young's primary value was a spot-up shooter who depended on someone else to create a shot for him. But that's not the case. Young's a one-on-one player who primarily creates shots with the ball in his own hands. The problem last season was that he too often created bad shots, bogged the offense down by pounding the ball to long into the shot clock, or turned the ball over by trying to drive it into spaces where there wasn't room to operate. And there hasn't been anything to suggest he's shed those bad habits. That's not to say he can't or won't. But he should be further along than he appears to be.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 1:58 PM

give jonathan wallace more burn, guy has been underrated his whole career and has always performed at a very high level

Posted by: tuff juice | July 18, 2008 1:58 PM

Agree with Kal regarding NY; it makes me more concerned about not re-signing Roger Mason who is a much better all-around player. Ben Gordon is going to be paid at least the MLE and we don't have anything to trade that the Bulls would want in return.

Bigger concern to me is we haven't signed Matt Barnes or a comparable 3 to backup Caron. Without a legit backup at the 3, he'll play too many minutes and get hurt. I don't see EJ cutting back Caron's minutes especially if he has to play some 2 against certain teams.

Dee Brown was a big waste of money from what Agent Zero left on the table. Jamon Gordon, rookie FA for Philly, is a better player. Brown is weak on cutting off dribble pentration, doesn't create, and isn't much of an outside shooter.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 18, 2008 2:02 PM

"Agree with Kal regarding NY; it makes me more concerned about not re-signing Roger Mason who is a much better all-around player."

Roger Mason wasn't a better all-around player when he was drafted or after his first year. Have some patience. It's not all about right now.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 2:07 PM

"It's not all about right now."

For a team that just spent $50 million on a 32 year old PF? It kinda is.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 2:15 PM

"It's not all about right now."

For a team that just spent $50 million on a 32 year old PF? It kinda is.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 2:28 PM

speaking of impact improvements, it looks like the Hawks are considering Kwame Brown as center.
according to Hoopsworld:
"Shocking as it may sound, Brown could be the piece the Hawks need to get to 50 wins and a shot at homecourt advantage in the Eastern Conference playoffs."

Posted by: rgz | July 18, 2008 2:28 PM

"It's not all about right now."

For a team that just spent $50 million on a 32 year old PF? It kinda is.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 2:15 PM

I think there is a 2-3 year window rather than win now immediately. Of course, we expect to do well now but it is the win now mentality that has got us into trouble and given other teams key components (Rip, two Wallaces, Mahorn and so on).

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 2:31 PM

"For a team that spent $111 million on a 26 year-old PG for six years, I'd say they've got some time."

Not if the plan is to compete for a title while Jamison is still at or near the peak of the years he has left. And if you haven't figured out that that is, indeed, the plan, you haven't been paying close enough attention. This is not a team that's banking on a long (or even medium) term plan.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 2:32 PM

JC - I was mere pointing out to those people here who are criticizing NY and AB's progress. that they should also pick on the coaching staff as one of the reasons. I personally sees a progress in both...slowly I will say especially for Blatche. I thought it was breakout year last season. Hopeully its this year.

Posted by: Dave | July 18, 2008 2:45 PM

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 2:32 PM

Their "plan" is to keep the Wizards as competitive as possible for as long as possible. That includes short, medium, and long term. The Wizards are not in an all-in, win right now mode. The team is built to be good this year, next year, the year after, and after, and after, including when Jamison falls off. Otherwise you'd see moves to bring in proven guys (or keep proven guys, i.e. Mason) rather than keep so many projects with potential.

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 2:47 PM

"We've been able to get ourselves a big-time point guard, which is probably the toughest position in the league to attain," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said.

...Interesting quote...

Posted by: psps23 | July 18, 2008 2:50 PM

The Wizards window could close in 2-3 years as Butler become a FA, AJ enters the end of his prime, and Agent Zero's player option comes up. A good backup 2-guard is one of the easist commodities to find in the NBA. No coincidence that a contender like San Antonio paid Mason a lot to essentially replace Michael Finley.

Young has acquired too many bad habits that weren't corrected through 3 years of college ball and one year in the pros. You can't coach court sense, intensity, and desire (all qualities that NY lacks). If the Wiz wanted to contend this year, NY would not be our backup at the 2.

The top teams always find a way to fit in a player who can get them to the next level. It seems the Wiz have settled on being a 5th or 6th seed who will get knocked out in the 1st round next year.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 18, 2008 3:16 PM

Kal,

I agree with you. I simply gave one of many options that NY will face this year. Whether he jacks up a shot, makes the extra pass, or drives. Also, if he shoots a klanker, I hope he gets back on D in hurry and does not pout.

We all want the best for this team. Growth is necessary but can be attained. With time should come maturation in all phases. I just hope Gil will be there defensively as well.

Sidebar: Lets stay positive and hope Haywood and Etan get along as well.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | July 18, 2008 3:36 PM

Kal,

There are a TON!!! of questions that I hope will be answered by the trade deadline. Lets stay positive for now

GO WIZARDS!!!

Sidebar: I hope Haywood and Etan get along as well.

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | July 18, 2008 3:37 PM

Posted by: bryan | July 18, 2008 3:47 PM

'Their "plan" is to keep the Wizards as competitive as possible for as long as possible. That includes short, medium, and long term. The Wizards are not in an all-in, win right now mode. The team is built to be good this year, next year, the year after, and after, and after, including when Jamison falls off.

There's a massive difference between being "competitive" or "good" and contending. As slim as this team's chances are right now, they go out the window completely when Jamison starts to fade (unless they somehow luck into an all star caliber 20-10 PF from someplace else, and I'm not holding my breath on that front).

An owner doesn't spend the kind of money the Wiz just did without the idea of contending for a title being on the table. And Given Jamison's age, that opening on that window is very slim and they can't afford to wait 3-4 years trying to prop it open.

Not only are they in a "win now" situation, they're in a "wanted to when then" situation. Go back and read the interviews with players, coaches, and management from before the start of last season and it was pretty clear they thought they were going to contend this past season. So having just spent a small fortune to keep the core together, there's almost no chance they're now revising their outlook for a longer term view.

Posted by: kalorama | July 18, 2008 4:23 PM

Well said, Ivan.

This team plays bad defense. Offensively, Dee Brown does not run it as well as Aron Miles did last summer, and Nick Young is still erratic.

Other than McGee, AB played well at times, and Dmac displayed his shooting touch. But I was really impressed with the shooting touch of Jason Smith (Wiz could have drafted him last season). I do not know if this is because Wiz's lousy defense or is he that good.

Posted by: Sagaliba | July 18, 2008 4:39 PM

Jason Smith is a good athlete and has a decent jumper for a big guy but the Wiz defense was really terrible. If you watch Smith a bit more, you'll see he has no court awareness - similar to what you see Kwame will do in many games. Both had many tools but they just don't know how to use them. It just seems they have to think about it while playing and that's just not going to cut it at that level of competition. Things have to be instinctive if you're going to be a good player in this league.

Speights actually looked much better and his basketball IQ was also so much better than Smith's.

McGee is lost on defense and rebound positioning. He has tools but I'm not so sure about his game yet. Too few games to really see as I didn't watch him in college.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 18, 2008 6:06 PM

"You guys make me laugh when you say the Wizard's window is closing. You have to have a window for it to close. I'm the biggest Wiz fan out there but even I know they aren't concerned with winning championships. Everyone who saw Abe hand out hats and t-shirts to players after beating the Bulls in the first round in 2005 knows that he doesn't care about titles. As long as he Wiz have a buzz around town and the league and Abe is making a buck, he is happy.

Posted by: bryan | July 18, 2008 3:47 PM "

Finally, someone with a grasp of reality.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 6:22 PM

"Pech is NOT as good as Songaila. I just tmporarily had small-ball visions in my head. My bad. I do think that he could eventually be as useful under the right conditions.

Posted by: mark | July 18, 2008 1:40 PM "

Saying OPech is not as good as DSong is like saying cat sh#t isn't as smelly as hippo sh#t.

Guess what? They both stink.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 6:25 PM

"Boredom entices people to make outlandish claims about nonsense basketball games. Erratic is the name of these games. These players will not play with each other again this year, if not ever again. When Gil is feeding Andre a pass or Mcgee a pass, it will be a different story. When Nick young is with AD and hes feeding him beyond the arc it will be different. Having talent around you makes you play better. Ask Boobie Gibson or James "Thanks Shaq and KG" Posey. Our young guns will thrive this year...trust, believe, enjoi!!!!

GO WIZARDS!!!

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | July 18, 2008 1:35 PM "

So what's the point of having a summer league? I guess Beasley and Chalmer's great performances meant they really suck in real life.

Posted by: DC Man88 | July 18, 2008 6:26 PM