Dwyane Wade Doesn't Eat His Vegetables

You likely won't find any U.S. men's basketball players at Beijing restaurants trying some of the local cuisine. They might be able to fly above the rim, but they aren't too adventurous when it comes to food.

Before practice on Wednesday, the players were asked about the food they've been eating in China. They've been in this country for more than two weeks already but you'd be disappointed if you were expecting hear that they've tried Peking duck or even Beijing style roast pigeon.

For their four days in Macau, the players ate at some of the American restaurants in the hotel, such as Morton's Steakhouse and Fatburger. And while in Shanghai, the players ate at Tony Roma's and California Pizza Kitchen.

Here, some players have eaten at McDonalds while visiting the Olympic Village (look at this if you want to see Kobe Bryant eating french fries). But the team also brought Chef Shawn Loving, the personal chef for Richard Hamilton in Detroit. The players all called him "Chef Lovie" and he's here to prepare food to fit more American palates.

"We got a spread of different stuff. You've got fish. You've got chicken. You've got steak. A lot of different stuff," Dwyane Wade said. "Chef Lovie. He's great."

Wade was then asked why the players came to the other end of the globe to eat at Tony Roma's, California Pizza Kitchen and McDonald's.

"You got to stay with what you know," Wade said. "I don't eat seafood. I don't eat vegetables. I don't eat none of that stuff, so I got to really stick with what I know."

I don't need broccoli for this. (Photo by Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images)

What, no vegetables? How does Wade get his nutrients?

"I don't know. I don't eat vegetables," he said.

So, for all the little kids out there looking for a reason not to eat their spinach and broccoli, you have a role model in Wade. An Olympian, NBA all-star and Finals MVP doesn't eat his vegetables. Dreams really can come true.

Carmelo Anthony said that before he leaves China, he will attempt to eat some actual Chinese food. But his teammates are trying to play it safe.

"We don't want to get sick," Carlos Boozer said.

"I'm not saying that the food [in China] is bad, but the food at the hotel is good," Dwight Howard said.

Chris Bosh was probably best on the subject. "I haven't been too curious," Bosh said. "Anytime you go to another country and you try different food, your stomach might not be used it. I don't want to put myself out there like that. Chinese people might say the same thing when they go to New York. Are they going to eat the street meat? Probably not."

By Michael Lee |  August 13, 2008; 12:35 PM ET
Previous: Hawks Match Offer Sheet For Josh Smith | Next: Redemption Doesn't Come In Threes

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

DWade can skip the veggies as long as he takes his vitamins, which will provide the nutrients without the roughage.

On a side note, if the players want soul food, I'm sure they can find some chitterlings and other pig parts at the street markets.

Posted by: DC Man88 | August 13, 2008 12:49 PM

I'm glad my son's not old enough to read!

Posted by: Lou | August 13, 2008 1:06 PM

Right. Cause we all know this blog is the place to be for kids.

Posted by: babbtong | August 13, 2008 1:13 PM

"When In Rome" need not apply to Olympic athletes in China...whatever that means.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | August 13, 2008 1:47 PM

I agree with Boozer. I wouldn't eat strange food either. Until after my event is over.

Posted by: Bart | August 13, 2008 2:15 PM

Wimps

Posted by: Prison Balls | August 14, 2008 12:22 PM

At least they're not eating dog meat like the locals: http://dog-cat-pet.info/china-asked-to-remove-dog-from-the-menu/

Posted by: I-66 | August 14, 2008 3:14 PM

Posted by: I-66 | August 14, 2008 3:15 PM

Uh DCMan, soul food consists of more than chitterlings and pig parts. It is now confirmed and this is my LAST time responding to you because are an absolute and total idiot and racist! TURD!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 7:42 AM

Chitterlings?

Away for a week on vacation and this is where the conversation has digressed to?

In NBA news while I was away, I think Cleveland made a pretty good move getting Williams in a three way deal. Funny, picking up a scoring point guard isn't always a bad move.

Cleveland needed some offensive punch and someone with the ability to help them space and balance the floor. Williams sure seems to fit, but some times the best laid plans get blown all to hell. The move leaves Cleveland relying on Wallace and Z to stay healthy for 82 games and Sideshow Bob needs to be a major factor.

Wouldn't be surprised if due to injuries and ineffectiveness the rookie gets alot of time at the 4. Wallace is not a 4 and the "Bobble Head" sure isn't more then a role player. Jamison eats him alive when he gets extended minutes.

But in the end getting Mo Williams was worth the price Cleveland paid. All I know is the guy's been a Wizard's killer for years.

From an earlier blog, Sean Singletary has little chance of making the roster in Houston, he's a guy I'd keep my eye on. He could be an interesting guy to compete with Dee Brown. I think Ernie needs to think about some competition for that third point position. Brown didn't really do much to impress in Las Vegas.

The difference between Cleveland and the Wizards is pretty basic, Ferry's got a short window, he's got to be thinking about where his star will be looking to land.

The Wiz have their big three all signed and are building a young core around them. And best of all Grunfeld's got all kinds of cap room to play with in 2010. Ernie may consider making some minor moves around the edges, but it sure looks like he's plotted a course and plans to stick to it.

Develop the "little three", retain the salary cap flexibilty that he has coming up and retain his core unit.

I liked Mason as a player as much as anybody that posts here, resigning Mason would have limited Ernie's future cap flexibility AND cut into Young's playing time.

For better, or worse, we are wedded to Young getting a heavy dose of minutes this year and his becoming a major part of the rotation. Sometimes that is the only way to tell if a guy can make the jump from promising prospect to regular rotation player.

This season will hinge on if Young, Blatche and McGuire are ready to make that step. Ernie's cleared the way for each of them to be an important backup getting valuable playing time. Now it's up to them and Jordan to make the most of it.

Chittlerlings? How far into the bowels of a pig is 88 willing to go to start a fight? Udderly amazing!(For all you city posters, that was a cow body part pun).

Posted by: GM | August 16, 2008 1:37 PM