Arenas Updates Status

I'm sure you've seen it by now but in case you haven't, here is link to the latest blog post by Gilbert Arenas.

It was interesting to get Gilbert's full take on his rehab and the timing involved with the latest decision to go under the knife. The December-January timeline seems to make sense but given the history of his situation, we're all going to have to sit back and see how this plays out.

I know that some folks are very upset by all of this but do you really blame Arenas for this latest setback? As I've reported citing team sources familiar with his rehab and as he states himself, the guy did everything he was supposed to do after shutting it down during the playoffs. No pick-up games on the blacktop, no running around the field at Cardozo high school with a parachute strapped to his back and no biking all over the city. And even the biggest Arenas hater has to admit that the guy seriously loves the game and is going to work his tail off to get back to his old self.

The thing hovering over all of this of course is that contract. I said this when he signed it and I'll repeat it now: from here on out, everything Gilbert does will be viewed through the context of the $111 million Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld committed to him.

When he scores 35 points in a loss, folks will ask why he didn't have 12 assists.
If he misses a game-winner, folks will say that a guy making that much should make that shot. If this team loses in the first or second round, folks will point to the contract and say that he is not a true franchise player.

Now that KG is a champion, nobody mentions the contract.

That's just the responsibility that comes with that kind of money and it's going to be very interesting to see how Gilbert and the team handles it in the weeks, months and seasons ahead.

I just traded a couple of texts with Gilbert on this whole thing and this was his message to the fans: "It was a tough call (he was referencing the latest surgery) but I didn't want to risk a whole year again. That wasn't fair to the team or the fans. Right now, they are going crazy but when I come back 100 percent, nobody will say anything."

While we all wait here is a little reminder of the good times:

By Ivan Carter |  September 19, 2008; 4:41 PM ET
Previous: Wizards chat today at 3 p.m. | Next: Juan Dixon Update and Other Notables

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Good post, Ivan. Thanks man.

Posted by: Sixx | September 19, 2008 5:11 PM

IVAN, I know as the Wizards Insider, you like to defense Arenas and the organization.., well if he followed doctor's order in the first place (last year), he wouldnt be in this situation!!., IVAN, stop making excuses for him, its become soo common to hear from u defending him or this organization. I know as the news writer, u can write anything, but man, SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO U HV TO TELL THE TRUTH AND STOP TALKIN NICE AND STUFFS. I never see u disagree with wat Arenas has to say, i mean, cmon Ivan!

Posted by: ak-47 | September 19, 2008 5:34 PM

Big Difference.. no one questioned KG's desire to improve every aspect of his game.. no one questioned his respect for the game itself

Posted by: LK | September 19, 2008 6:23 PM

"Now that KG is a champion, nobody mentions the contract."

Not to pick with you Ivan, but he did have help in Boston. Something that the Wolves' couldn't provide him with in part to his contract (and also because Kevin McHale is a moronic bafoon)

Posted by: C.Bell | September 19, 2008 6:29 PM

LK, are you questioning Gil's desire to improve?

Posted by: C.Bell | September 19, 2008 6:30 PM

Well I still love to watch Gil play and everyone is probably overreacting, and the disapointment is from all of us wanting to see him on the court and see this team at full strength! We want to see what we got, the Wizards are very fun when they have everyone, and we want to win!!

But what I think bothers us all most is him saying he was planning on January all along!

I mean he played at the end of the season, although not very well, but he played and then had all summer to rehab. The Wizards are playing in Europe this preseason and we were all lead to believe Gil and the Big 3 were going to be showcased!?

Ok he had a setback, had to get the knee cleaned etc. Fine. But how or why is it that January has been his timetable all along?? And why was this never mentioned once during all his contract signing news or when the European preseason tour is announced or when he was promoting in China or during the summer league or during the offseason or draft??????

And yes we should sign Juan Dixon! He adds depth to both guard spots which are both thin and he gives us a scorer that we badly need with no Gil! He racks up steals and fastbreaks, can go on flat out unstoppable scoring streaks and at times can carry team, always plays hard, and can be a total momentum changer, and fans get up when he comes in the game!

Posted by: Darnell | September 19, 2008 6:54 PM

I think AB and NY have the most upside on this team.

AB may never realize that b/c he's sitting on the pine behind a guy with 5 years/50 mil and 31 years on those legs.

AB's got really good court vision, probably the best on the team.

NY's got scoring ability written all over him.

Both guys are just on the wrong team, and the wrong offense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 7:32 PM

"I know that some folks are very upset by all of this but do you really blame Arenas for this latest setback? As I've reported citing team sources familiar with his rehab and as he states himself, the guy did everything he was supposed to do after shutting it down during the playoffs. "

Of course no one's upset. Every knew that he was going to be out until January anyway, like Gilby said. Wasn't a condescending tone in his response whatsoever.

Didn't everyone get that memo?

Why are people tripping? It's not like they paid good money for season tickets and then get the news after the fact that he was going to be out.

Reason:

If it smells like sh#t, then it probably is sh#t.

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

BULLLLLLSH#T!!!

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 7:37 PM

"As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Minneapolis and those are the exact kinds of things that were said about Kevin Garnett after he signed his huge deal back in the day. "Why can't he get them out of the first round?" "He's a great player but not a clutch scorer in the fourth quarter." "He's not a real leader." Etc. Etc. Etc.

Now that KG is a champion, nobody mentions the contract. "

KG didn't make it out of the first round b/c of the buffoon GM McHale who ruined the team. Add the fact that Starbury abandoned the team. No team can get deep into the playoffs with only 1 all star caliber player.

But, he did eventually get deep into the playoffs with the help of Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell, two all stars with Cassell being a two time champ a the time.

Gilby's had 2 all stars on his team and hasn't been out of the first round since LH left.

In the meantime, he's been often injured with pulled abdominal muscles, dislocated clavicle, 3 knee surgeries, sore shoulder, etc., etc.

Gilby may seriously love the game, but he loves himself more than anything else. And, loving the game doesn't mean he'll do whatever it takes to help his TEAM win the championship.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 7:46 PM

"Both guys are just on the wrong team, and the wrong offense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 7:32 PM "

EG's draft strategy the past two years of "drafting the best player available" sure as heck doesn't mean that player is a good fit for this team.

You got to draft people who are good AND fit into your system.

Still can't figure out how a 7 ft. dude who likes to shoot from the outside, doesn't play any D, and can't really rebound or defend fits into the team's plans. Hint: I'm talking about OPech.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 8:04 PM

Ivan Ivan Ivan, you shudda saw this coming. You're our "Wizard Insider". We got no mention of what GA was doing in the off season. Someone must have seen him & talked with him. He's working out the young guys. We didn't get anything.
Then all of us "Wizard insiders" are now"Wizard blindsiders".

Posted by: VB Wiz Fan | September 19, 2008 8:35 PM

Gilby is saying now that he didn't do jack during the offseason until recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he bring a trainer along with him to the Phillipines?

I could have sworn that I read and saw pics somewhere that he said the trainer's got him doing this and that.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 8:44 PM

"Summer Plans
I’m going to take a month off before I get into rehabbing. It’s hard, but it’s going to be important for my future that I at least give it a month of rest. I’m going to give it until the beginning of June before I start doing strengthening exercises again.

I’m going to spend some time relaxing and some time with my family, a little bit of both. I’m going to try and stay out of the area as much as possible. I’m going to Disney World! Ha, I wish I was saying that after a championship, but I’m just going to take my kids down to Disney World in Orlando. Other than that, I’m just going to hang around and try to stay somewhat in shape by swimming and lifting my upper body. I just have to try to stay off the court and stay off of jumping and running for a month.

I just have to monitor my body now. Last summer I took it seriously, but I didn’t take it as seriously as I should have. I worried more about my skill ability than really working on my leg as a whole. This summer I’m focusing my No. 1 priority on my knee and getting it back to 100 percent. Day in and day out, I’m going to strengthen up my knee.

May 7, 2008 4:00 PM EDT "

"Getting Healthy
Right off the plane I went straight to the treadmill and then straight to the gym to work out. Then I came home to my pool to do some swimming.

My knee feels good. It got a little sore on the airplane from the altitude up and down, but now it feels fine. I finally gave it some time off.

Jul 14, 2008 1:49 PM EDT "

For a guy who did nothing all summer as instructed, sure sounds like he was doing some things that he wasn't supposed to.

At least he admitted that last summer, he goofed off.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 9:14 PM

LOL!!!!! I get paid $176,000 per game to do nothing HAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Gimpy Gil | September 19, 2008 10:32 PM

LMAO @ DCMan88 for having a blog session by himself!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:10 AM

you are really on a roll DCMan (even by your high standards)... go get 'em...

Meanwhile we probably should sign Dixon, which will calm some people down and could actually help this team.

I will say that the Gilbert thing made me change my mind about hopping the Warsaw-Berlin Express to watch the Wiz play in Berlin on 14 October! Instead I bought tickets to see an Alicia Keys concert in Warsaw the next night with the money I saved, and my wife is much happier too.

Y'all be good

Posted by: khrabb | September 20, 2008 4:35 AM

Thanks Gil and Ivan for referencing the haters. And you know who you are... As Mike Wise wrote, both Kobe and D Wade have had the same procedures after surgeries. It's just a cleanout. Glad to see that Gil adhered to the prescribed regimen. One less thing to blame him for.

Posted by: mark | September 20, 2008 8:23 AM

Posted by: mark | September 20, 2008 8:27 AM

"Another note: Gil said that he works out the youngsters to get them ready for camp. His leadership is still being questioned? No knock on AJ or CB but Gil IS the leader of this team by action, not talk.

Posted by: mark | September 20, 2008 8:27 AM "

Geeez, we're now equating leading a bunch of kids to doing jumping jacks and touch your toes to leading a bunch of multimillionaires to NBA glory?

mark is a simpleton.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 20, 2008 9:10 AM

""At the end of the day," he said, "I wasn't planning on playing until January anyway. Everybody has known I was gonna miss training camp. I probably could've gotten by without it until June, but if I went to do something spectacular, it probably would have buckled under on me." "

Ok, if the knee is structurally sound, and nothing but debris was cleaned out, then why does Gilby think his knee would have "buckled under on me?"

Even non haters, haters, homeless men, Mystics players, presidential candidates, preschoolers, Marion Barry, super lice, babies drinking bad formula, Harriet Walters, hurricanes, Josh Howard, mortgage bankers, Kim Jong-il, etc. can't figure this one out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 20, 2008 9:27 AM

Heard on Comcast Sportsnet this morning the Wizards are working out Juan Dixon. Finally, they are going to try and add a peice. If they do sign him, I wonder for how long of a period will he be signing for.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 9:33 AM

Can anybody else confirm that last post?

Posted by: C.Bell | September 20, 2008 12:35 PM

Ivan, heard a rumor about juan dixon working out for the wiz with the intent to sing a contract any truth to it?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2008 1:52 PM

Juan Dixon! Our season is saved!

Posted by: kalorama | September 20, 2008 3:33 PM

I didn't see Comcast this morning, but I also couldn't find anything about it on their online sight. Could be "Jaun" working at keeping the rumor alive!

Still seems like a fit to me, He's never been a "pure point guard" but I always felt that the reason he was fairly successful here is that the Princeton lends it's self to guys with Combo Gaurd skills at the point. Once the offense is started, everbody becomes a cutter. Juan thrived at that instead of being relied on to be a convetional "one" or "two".

Just don't get how it can be said that Blatche and Young are in the "wrong system". Blatche's stats have improved each year, last year he played quite well inspite of having to spend a lot of time at backup center.

He's a forward,anybody that really watches this team realizes that the forward roles are very interchangable in this system. That seems to me to be an ideal system for Blatche to be in with his court vision and his ability to be either a passer or a cutter. Only better role for Blatche would be a team that uses a "point forward". But there's no way he's ready to put an NBA team's offense on his back.

At this point he's a "complimentry guy" not a go to player. His goal this year is to be a consistant core rotation guy, he's got to do that before anybody's going to go building an offense around him.

With Young, his skills seem to lean toward those combo guard skills that do so well here. Big question with Young is his defensive intensity. He'll need to step up at the defensive end fast since the Wizards will be relying on him as maybe the primary three point shooter off the bench.

Those two along with McGuire, to a lessor extent, are going to be the keys to this year's Wizards team. The goal a along was to get Gil to finish this year strong. The attempt by Gil to rush back only months after a form of micro-fracture surgery now seems like a misguided effort that may have cost Arenas time in this recovery effort.

After two rushed attempts to get back on the court, it seems funny to me that people are now going off over the team and Arenas taking a conservative timetable.

I do agree season ticket holders could have a point about being unhappy with the timing of the announcement after they needed to pay up.

The group I'm a part of that has Orioles tickets was recently contacted about renewing for next year. Our answer was" depends, you guys going to sign any major league pitching?"

If a year from now we're still talking about Gil's knee, then the Wiz made a mistake. Remember, people were talking about D. Wade was done last spring. He didn't look washed up in Bejing to me.

Posted by: GM | September 20, 2008 3:40 PM

kobe Bryant LAL trade

Posted by: talan | September 20, 2008 7:39 PM

I'm not upset at Arenas. I'm upset at a front office that just p*ssed away the next 6 years on a guy who may never play anywhere close to the $111M level. Pretty much the worst front office for the past 20 years, so why do we expect any different, I guess.

Posted by: ArlingtonHokie | September 21, 2008 3:27 AM

Good one, Kal.

Posted by: Keithinator | September 21, 2008 9:04 AM

This is the reason I have not spent a dime on any pro sport in over 20 years. If everyone would do the same thing the players would have to get a second job in the summer to make ends meet. Then you would only have players playing because they really love the game.

Posted by: bullets fan 78 | September 22, 2008 7:49 AM

The point is he took the money under false pretenses. He has said "he knew he wouldn't be playing until January anyway so why all the fuss." If he knew he was only going to be playing half a season, then he should have signed for half the money he did. That's fair isn't? Crazy? Why? If this isn't fraud then what is?

Posted by: Donald | September 22, 2008 9:03 PM

Gilly Zero is now damaged goods and he will be limited compared to his prior skills and quickness....he wont be the first human to have 3 surgeries and no effects. The Wiz are screwed by this guy. Stop talking like he's some kind of buddy...he's not..he played the Wiz like a Stradivarius....blame the front office for this liar if you want..but the dude has no integrity and no respect for the game, the fans anyone..just his little PR world.

Posted by: DC | September 22, 2008 9:39 PM