Jamison Returns for Evening Practice

Antawn Jamison, who had been limited to shooting drills since "tweaking" his right hip flexor Saturday morning, returned to tonight's practice at VCU and was moving just fine.

Dominic McGuire was in practice gear but had a wrap around his groin and sat out of tonight's practice. The injury doesn't appear to be too serious however because Dominic was doing some light shooting afterward (he was making most them too.)

Antonio Daniels, who banged his knee this morning, returned for tonight's one-hour practice and was moving fine.

This morning, Coach Eddie Jordan talked a little bit about how he plans on using his guards. So far, we've seen Antonio Daniels and DeShawn Stevenson start (like last season) then Dee Brown has been worked in with the starters while Juan Dixon and Nick Young have been paired together quite a bit. DIxon and Brown have also been paired together at times in a super small but very quick combo.

Jordan: "Juan and Dee are there at the same time a lot. We also like Juan and and Nick out there together. We like Dee out there with the starters too. With Juan and Nick, although you don't have a prototypical point guard, you're a threat. Dee can play with with any group because he pushes the ball (something I referenced in my earlier post). He also picks up well. Juan picks up too, so there are different combinations that can give us different strengths and different looks."

By Ivan Carter  |  September 29, 2008; 7:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Get Some Scrimmaging in
Next: Morning Practice Underway

Comments

I love what I'm hearing! Thanks for the update!

Posted by: Darnell | September 29, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

That's what I like about adding Juan. His ability to play both spots, and I really like the idea of bringing him with NY off the bench.

Sounds like Etan is looking good. I haven't heard much on Haywood. I am interested to see how he builds on last season's improvements. Also like what I'm hearing of McGee. I am interested if he can be a legitimate 3rd stringer at center.

Love what I hear about McGuire, and sounds like he is stepping up to solidify our 3 spot!

Havent' heard much about Pecherov. Interested in hearing where has he been playing... more 3 or 4?

Also sounds like Dee is going to be solid for us as that 3rd pg we lacked last season too.

Love the attitude and determination it sounds like these guys have come to camp with! I am really looking forward to this season!!

Anyone know if NBATV will be showing any training camp??!

Posted by: Darnell | September 29, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"We also like Juan and and Nick out there together. "

LOL!

This duo was commented by someone on this blog as something akin to desperation.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 29, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely hope we don't have McGee on the 4 year plan. (develop him just in time for free agency and somebody else). Though he may not be a major factor right away, athleticism alone can make you effective in spots. Combined with his size, there's no reason to think he shouldnt get a little floor time this year. Maybe 5-6 consistent minutes?
You never know. By the end of the year he could be a defensive deterrent/stopper.

Posted by: mark | September 30, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

A backcourt of Juan Dixon and Dee Brown???? That alone is grounds for firing Eddie Jordan. I mean, come on!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 30, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

GUY have you been reading Wiz Insider very long? Dee Brown has been crushing it.

Posted by: prescrunk | September 30, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't have problem with Juan and Dee, I will be worrying more about Juan and NY. Even though that combination has good fire power, the opponent can easily trap them since neither can handle and/or pass the ball on a high level.

Posted by: Sagaliba | September 30, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that Eddie did praise Young in this morning's paper. So all of the "little three" seem to be having a good camp.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dee Brown in the preseason. Wasn't real impressed with the guy's play at summer league. But Eddie seems to really like him, but then again he's probably not quite 6'. Small Ball Still Lives!

What Juan Dixon brings is a lot of veteran savvy and adds options for Eddie. We really were hurt last year by small quick matchups, Daniels just can't handle those guys. Sometimes Eddie had Stephenson taking on the quicker guard to try and compensate. Dee Brown and Juan give Eddie
two quicker options then he had last year.

Mark I'd agree, Pecherov has shown the willingness and the ability to mix it up under the boards. Hope the kid can stay healthy and those Russian women he's got cooking for him help him add about twenty pounds of muscle.

If that works maybe they can get McGee eating Russian food too...

Posted by: GM | September 30, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse