Does 'No Timetable' for Arenas Mean a Long Absence?

I received a text message from a buddy in Kansas City a short while ago and his question was simple: "Why didn't Arenas get the knee taken care of earlier?"

That is just one of several questions that were raised by Wednesday's news that Arenas had his left knee cleaned out today in a procedure done by team doctor Marc Connell. Arenas will miss camp, the preseason and at least the first month of the season. He is aiming for December but team president Ernie Grunfeld repeatedly stated today that the team has no timetable in mind and he made it clear that Arenas will not take the court again until the knee is "healthy."

That was telling. I've going on my fourth season covering this team and I've learned that while Grunfeld is often guarded in his answers about his team, it is possible to read between the lines of what he does and does not say. I took Wednesday's responses to mean that the team is prepared for Arenas to be out for a good while. Whether Grunfeld has December or January or February or any month in mind is a mystery, but on ESPN, former Bullet beat man Ric Bucher cited a team source saying that Arenas' December target date is optimistic. That makes sense.

This franchise had better cover itself on this one. Abe Pollin handed $111 million over six years to a player that was coming off of two knee surgeries and looked nothing like his old self while hobbling around in 13 games last season.

Also, my guess would be that many a Wiz fan out there re-upped on season tickets thinking that Arenas would be in uniform Oct. 29 when the fellas open against the Nets. That's clearly not happening. I would not blame those folks for wondering about today's events as well.

To clarify a few things:

- Some folks are wondering whether Arenas informed Grunfeld and Eddie Jordan about the surgery. I can tell you this: Arenas may not have personally talked to Grunfeld but I can assure that the training staff and doctors did break it all down. Grunfeld said Arenas had the knee looked at again yesterday and the decision was then made to clean it out.

- According to the folks I've spoken with, Arenas indeed followed the plan prescribed for him and has not pushed the knee as he did last summer. According to him, the knee has simply been bothering him and he made the decision to clean it out so that he can resume rehabbing and come back more quickly than he may have thought earlier.

- Keep in mind that today's news came as such a shocker because neither Arenas nor the team gave any impression that his rehab process was going at a pace that would lead to a return later than the opener. Apart from a few blogs and some short chats than included little detail, Arenas was silent this summer. I personally tried to get details about his rehab several times but he wasn't talking.

By Ivan Carter |  September 17, 2008; 10:55 PM ET
Previous: Arenas to Miss Camp, Season's First Month (Updated) | Next: Wizards chat today at 3 p.m.

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"Arenas will sit after knee surgery"

This is not the last time I expect to read this headline over the next 6 years. I think there is a corollary story here about how Ernie/Eddie's tails are really on the line. For years we have been hearing about how the Wiz have underacheived b/c we have not been able to keep a healthy roster. Now that they re-upped on Arenas when they knew he has a "buyer-beware" tag on him, they simply cannot play the "injury" card anymore They made a conscious decision to build the next 6 years around a guy with a knee issue they knew about.

John Thompson said on the radio that the injured knee is the critical one to GA's shot. (Right knee for a left-hander or vice-versa). We all also know that GA's effectiveness is predicated on his speed and explosiveness - now that the leg has been opened 3 times, what's up with that? Also, once he is able to start playing again, he is going to need at least another month to get into effective playing condition.

Sorry fellas. I see another first round exit for us - and that is if we are lucky! Philly just moved past us with Elton Brand. Atlanta has their core back and a full season with Bibby at the helm. Throw in the Celtics, Pistons, Cavs and Magic. That leaves us fighting with a healthy Dwayne Wade and Beasley, Milwaukee with RJ and Redd, and a scrappy Bulls team for the 7 and 8 spots. What did we bring to the table in the offseason? Knee surgery #3 for GA...

Posted by: p1funk | September 17, 2008 11:22 PM

Comfortable? No.

Dee Brown and Antonio Daniels instead of Arenas? Not a competitive combo for the long run.

I hold season tickets, but this may be my final year. Abe can afford to be patient. I can't, any more.

Posted by: joe c | September 17, 2008 11:29 PM

ALL IS WELL THAT ENDS WELL. REMEMBER ANTONIO MCDYSS.

Posted by: KCANDLC | September 18, 2008 12:04 AM

What can I say fellas...the Curse of Les Boulez continues! I have been pulling for this team since the late 80's..we have like what, one trip past the 1st round of the playoffs to show for that? The whole chemistry issue is gonna come into play again, the team is gonna get used to playing without him, play better defense, move the ball around better, then have to adjust to him again. Not saying they are better without him, but all the adjustments hurt the team.
The key is how much improvement we see from Nick Young, Dominic McGuire, and Andray Blatche. The Wiz let a reliable guy go in Roger Mason, so Nick Young better step it up.
All these first round exits don't help the future of this team...Miami just tanked in the end...and now they got Beasley.
For a guy who thrives on his explosiveness, 3 surgeries is a lot to overcome. Hopefully there is a light at the end of this tunnell, but with $110 mill committed, doesn't look good! Glad I didnt' buy any tickets yet.

Posted by: Ali Z | September 18, 2008 12:06 AM

They have good players but no depth... I wish they would stop being cheap and gp pver the luxury tax. All they've done this offseason is lose Mason and replace him with nobody. Depth was already a problem last year. Dee Brown is a 12th man, not a solution.

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | September 18, 2008 12:09 AM

Sign Juan Dixon

Posted by: Juan Dixon | September 18, 2008 12:25 AM

As a season ticket holder who watched this summer's activity with a mix of optimism (let's give a fully healthy Wiz team a chance to see what they can do) and skepticism (the GA and AJ signings ensure that the first-round-exit core will remain for the foreseeable future), today's news is pretty troubling. I'm a big fan of Gil, but for him to publicly say that "everyone" knew he wouldn't be playing until January... well, it's a bit galling. The folks spending large sums of money on season tickets in a shaky economy certainly didn't know. If Grunfeld is to be taken at his word, the team has known about this knee issue for most of the summer. I think the Wiz owe the season ticket holders who were just required to pay in full for the upcoming season a bit of an explanation. The timing of all of this doesn't quite pass the smell test.

Posted by: kmcass | September 18, 2008 12:53 AM

It's obvious they waited until just after the season ticket payment deadlne to do this. This is fraud.

Posted by: Ura Hack | September 18, 2008 3:10 AM

I really liked this tale the first time when it was called 'The Anfernee Hardaway Story'.

Still a bit confusing why this wasn't done as soon as possible. I'm terrified to read the stories to come about the setbacks, rushing back too early, and 'are they better off without him?'.

We're better with him on the court and healthy but we're not better with the constant saga and the dramatics.

Posted by: Bernard King | September 18, 2008 3:42 AM

Daniels can't play 30-40 mpg for one or two months, or if he does he will be broken down for the rest of the season.
Summer League showed that Dee Brown has a lot of work before he can cut it as even a backup pg in the NBA. I'm sure that leaves us with a fair of NiYo and Stevenson sharing the backcourt and thats not going to be good for ball distribution.
This situation is terrible, but it makes it worse that it came out of the blue.

Posted by: Emmet | September 18, 2008 6:46 AM

I second, third and fourth the comments above. Resigning Arenas was a management decision and we'll see whether or not it works out. Keeping his condition and prospects a secret, if that is what they have done, breaks faith with loyal fans.

To Ivan's question: Am I comfortable with the lineup? Through December, Yes. Through February -- No!

Posted by: walter | September 18, 2008 7:18 AM

Three words...

TOLD YOU SO.....

Posted by: LK | September 18, 2008 7:26 AM

It's a good opportunity to bring in a defensive-minded coach who commands respect. When Gilbert returns, he should play 15-20 minutes off the bench for the rest of the season.

By comparison, in a summer camp interview, EJ was extolling how quick Gilbert was playing in practice. It was just a matter of time before the injuries start piling up with EJ's outlook. Wrong track.

Posted by: Izman | September 18, 2008 7:27 AM

At what point will Connell and the Wizards training/medical staff be held accountable?

Posted by: Keynote | September 18, 2008 7:34 AM

If Arenas comes back, I'm more or less happy with the team. Not sure we're a championship contender, but we'll be legit fighters in the playoffs.

Without Arenas, I'm not sure. Daniels is in decline, as far as I can tell. I would love to have a look at Shaun Livingston.

Posted by: G | September 18, 2008 7:45 AM

One thing at a time:

"According to the folks I've spoken with, Arenas indeed followed the plan prescribed for him and has not pushed the knee as he did last summer."

Let's be honest, the Wiz's doctors have been nothing short of unspectacular over the years. Everytime a player gets injured here, they never play in a Wiz uni ever again.

"Question for Wiz fans: are you comfortable with this roster as it is now stands as long as he indeed comes back by mid-season?"

Are you kidding Ivan? I can't believe you're going to ask this.

No, absolutely not. That contract of Gil's has strapped this team for years and they can't even sign thier own.

*cough*Roger Mason*cough*

The roster as it stands WITH Gilbert Arenas cannot win a championship. Oh that's right, they signed Dee Brown! I forgot, he's going to win them one all on his own. Please.

The Wiz should never have re-signed Gil at that contract, he's not worth it. They have a just good enough team to break your heart in the first round, and no superstar. That's it.

It kills me how Mr.Polin is always trusting the wrong people to run his franchise. As someone else said, please sell the rest of the rights to Ted Leonsis. Maybe then the "curse" will be lifted.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 18, 2008 8:11 AM

"...and he made the decision to clean it out so that he can resume rehabbing and come back more quickly than he may have thought earlier."

Which means he wasn't planning on starting the season opening night anyway, right?

Glad they shared that with the season ticket holders and fans when they re-signed him, lol!

And they wonder why everyone is upset.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 18, 2008 8:14 AM

" Question for Wiz fans: are you comfortable with this roster as it is now stands as long as he indeed comes back by mid-season?

By Ivan Carter | September 17, 2008; 10:55 PM ET "

Sure, if you're like most fans on this blog who are content with status quo, making excuses, and dreaming big dreams like "we are a finals team."

The team as it is now will be fine. The problem is that if they wanted to get better, EG missed the boat and let many FA's go while resigning an injury prone shooting guard and a non-D playing quick side forward/tweener.

All the while, many other teams in the NBA East got better.

On a side note, I do want to remind people that I said during late last season that Gilby should shut it down.

Also, I said that Gilby can do whatever he wants to do, but come training camp time, he'd better not have any BS excuses.

Well well....what do we have now?

It should have been known and expected that this scar tissue/debris was going to be there.

Did Connell just graduate out of the UDC med school and this is now a shock to him?

If not, he should have known this was going to happen and had the knee cleaned out so as to not impact Gilby's availability to the team.

The fact of the matter is that Gilby may never be 100%. Gilby's game relies on quickness. When he loses that, his game changes, maybe not for the better, and certainly not for $111 mil.

BTW, EG is a fraud.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 8:23 AM

Posted by: Keynote | September 18, 2008 7:34 AM

Now if the Wiz did not resign Gilbert everybody would have been jumping up and down complaining about how cheap Abe is again (including me). I am not a Abe supporter (I would rather have Teddy "L" running the team), but the man had no choice but to resign him. Gil is only 26 years old and this was not a "major" knee surgery like Penny, Alan Houston or Stamire's had with the "micro-fracture" procedures.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 8:40 AM

I wonder how Dan Snyder would run this team?

The Washington Wizards: Where mediocrity happens.

Posted by: Baltimore CJ | September 18, 2008 8:41 AM

Every summer there's optimism about the upcoming season and it seems like the past several years it's been a consistent disappointment. I personally assumed that the team would be healthy for training camp. Shame on me for assuming this and I hate to say it but shame on the WaPo for not writing more on this the past month or so. I realize people need to take vacations but it was like there were no legitimate media outlets in DC that cared about the Wizards the past month or more. I believe this left everyone with a false sense of optimism which has once again been replaced with frustration with the recent news.

Every team in the East has improved. We lost Roger Mason. I hate to say this but God forbid AJ or CB3 get hurt between now and 10/29 because that would put us right in the cellar of the Eastern Conference. The only saving grace would be that we'd be lottery bound in 2009! Even that would not assure us a #1 as the curse will continue until Abe sells the team.

Posted by: Marc | September 18, 2008 8:54 AM

"I don't get it will all of the negative posts. Yes I am mad that Gilbert has to have another surgery. Is it the training/medical staff's fault? I would say no. Gilbert is the one who decided not to listen to their advice on rehabbing his knee the first time he injured it. Now you see the end result of not following instructions."

Gilby should have started rehab after his second surgery immediately. Not chill and travel the world. Kicking it around and resting isn't going to make the knee stronger.

"Again playing on the "hard blacktop" outside and running with a parachute on an uneven field on an unstable knee probably damaged his knee worse. That is why he is now having all of these recurring problems. Gilbert made the wrong decision on that and hopefully he learned from it."

Gilby took the extreme opposite approach and did nothing. Just took it easy. It's just like when he was called out for being a ball hog. What did he do? He refused to shoot the next game.

"Now if the Wiz did not resign Gilbert everybody would have been jumping up and down complaining about how cheap Abe is again (including me)."

Sign and trade, my friend. There were interested suitors. Gilby could have been another team's problems right now.

"Gil is only 26 years old and this was not a "major" knee surgery like Penny, Alan Houston or Stamire's had with the "micro-fracture" procedures."

Gilby will be 27 come January. How many shooting point guards with knee injuries that rely 100% on their quickness continue to improve their games and get better over time?

"Now some players might be able to play with the pain in the knee, but Gilbert was not comfortable with that. Instead of waiting in the middle of the season and knowing it was not right he decided to do it now to make sure. What is wrong with that?"

What makes you think the pain will ever go away, or there will never be scar tissue/debris that bothers him ever again? Injuries don't get better during the season, and for Gilby, they didn't get better during the offseason either.

Come Feb-March, we'll all be having the same tired discussion about how much PT Gilby should get, whether he should start, etc., etc. Gilby's drama is getting old.

"Sounds to me like there is nothing structurally wrong with the knee, it is just the discomfort that has to be dealt with. This last surgery will probably take care of that and then he will be able to go full speed."

Doesn't matter if the knee is structurally 100%. It's psychological for Gilby, and Gilby can't play with pain from the debris.

"Folks, lay off of Abe and Ernie because they made a business decision that maybe 7 out of 10 people would have done the same thing. Look how it worked out for the Suns on Stamire? Stamire's injury was "WAY WORSE" at the time and they gave him a max contract!!! Gilbert get well and next time listen to your Doctor and follow their advice.........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 8:40 AM "

BS! You can't put yourself in those two people's shoes because by accepting season ticket money, they have a responsibility to be upfront and honest with the season ticket holders.

If you went to a store and paid for a product that was not what you thought it was, you'd take it back for refund. Dishonest Abe and Dishonest EG were intentionally not forthcoming with this news.

Also, Gilby was a liar by his johnny come lately annoucement that "everybody knew I wasn't coming back until January."

WTF? Everbody but the season ticket holders and the fans.

BTW, stop mentioning Stoudamire. He's a PF. His game is power, not breaking a man down with his quickness.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:00 AM

"I'm so frustrated that I'm actually starting to read DCMan's posts and I actually believe some of them...God help me.

Posted by: Marc | September 18, 2008 8:54 AM "

Welcome to the light.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:01 AM

Sorry, but I also posted multiple times that this was an incredibly bad business decision by Abe. The Wizards are dead in the water for the next 5-7 years.

I think Areanas should at honor season ticket holders with free admission to the grotto. They can at least see Gilbert there since he will likely not be in uniform this year if ever. Abe, like the Bush administration, has left quite a mess for whoever follows.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | September 18, 2008 9:03 AM

The Wiz could really use a good Etan/Brendan fight right about now to take the spotlight off the Gilby debacle.

Posted by: Marc | September 18, 2008 9:11 AM

Juan Dixon might not be that bad of an idea to take a look at. Maybe Juan could post his Phone number on here so Ernie can get in touch.

This season has always revolved around Blatche, Young, and to a lessor extent McGuire. Those guys need to take a big step up for this team to be ok. Now they loom even bigger then before.

Knees are funny damned things, some guys go through a whole lot worse then this and then go on and play for years. Others seem like once they're cut they're never the same.

As far as I can tell there's never really been a way to predict who's going to recover and who's going to end up with a problem knee. No doubt about it, if Gil can't shake this thing and return to Allstar status, the Wiz are saddled with a bad deal.

Young will have to replace Mason's lost scoring and three point range. He seems up to that, can he step his D up so it doesn't cost the team defensively to put him on the floor?

With a healthy Etan, Eddie can use Andre as a forward more and won't have to be as concerned about fouls with the kid. This is his year to take another step, he seems prepared to do it.

I do wonder about Dee Brown as the Primary backup at point for any stretch of time, I'd think the team's got to be looking for an upgrade if one's available. If he hasn't commited to go to camp with someone else, Juan's should start hanging out at the phone booth the rest of the summer.

I guess that's a good reason to have not used that 15th slot on a small forward before now. My guess is that Ernie's been playing it close to the vest for a reason.

I've wondered about Gil's offseason, he's been laying low, that didn't seem to be a good sign to me. If Gil's not talking and blogging that wasn't a real good sign, unless he's suddenly grown up, and I doubt that was going to happen over one summer.

Ivan, Was the procedure a simple flush? Or did the go in and shave and smooth cartilage?

Six months ago most were ready to stick a fork in D. Wade. He might have ended up being the MVP on the Gold Medal winning team. Time will tell with Gil.

Posted by: GM | September 18, 2008 9:13 AM

"Time will tell with Gil.

Posted by: GM | September 18, 2008 9:13 AM "

Not a bad post GM'er.

Unfortunately though, time has already told with Gilby.

The worst slap in the face for all the fans was "everbody knew I wasn't going to be back until January."

Not just a swadagger, but also a twist to that swadagger after the plunge.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:19 AM

I want to open up my window and shout "I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE" but it won't do any good, whose to blame? Gil,Ernie,medical staff. No i'm not comfortable with the present roster without Gilbert, i keep going back to the night he originally hurt the knee against the Bobcats if he had not been late to the arena, that's why he was benched this is karma comming back to Gil for trying to show up EJ after being criticized in the media for his poor defense the night before in Charlotte and now this, someone had to know the knee was going to need another procedure.The whole training camp will now be focused on the return of Gilbert and how this team will move forward without him.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | September 18, 2008 9:21 AM

I hate to be negative but this is sounding all too familiar. Some injuries are just never overcome. Will Arenas ever be the same player? The knee is a tricky joint. Surgery repairs it doesn't renew.

Posted by: browneri | September 18, 2008 9:23 AM

""After Gilbert's normal course of rehabilitation was ramped up, he experienced some swelling and discomfort in the knee," Connell said"

So this was after he started rehabbing. Even if he had started rehab earlier in the summer, there's no reason to believe that they would have noticed his knee needing washing out until now anyways. And according to all sources, Gilbert followed doctor's orders. If you want to blame anybody, blame the wizards "crack" medical squad. Or if you want, blame it on Gil when he did the whole parachute thing. This time I don't think Gil did anything wrong.

Posted by: babbtong | September 18, 2008 9:31 AM

WTF? Everbody but the season ticket holders and the fans.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:00 AM

What up DC, I figured my post about "Gilby" would catch your wrath but it is all good. There is more than two to three months in a season for the "season ticket holders" to still see Gil. To me the blame should not fall on Ernie or Abe because they went off of what their medical staff told them and also what Gil told them or did not tell them.

They took a calculated chance in resigning him on the notion he was ready to go. Ivan said Grunfield probably did not know anthing about this new surgery. So that is on Gil, not Grunfield or Abe.

As for Stoudamire, yes they play two different positions that require different skills. However, Stoudamire game is all predicated on "explosiveness" and QUICKNESS (like Gil). He has to be able to move laterally inside the paint quickly to get alot of his shots off. Gilbert needs that same ablily to laterally move to "breakdown his man" with his quickness.

That is why I used Stoudamire as an example on how a team took a chance on a star player coming off of a major knee injury and how it worked out. Again Stoudamire's injury was way worst then Gilbert's and that is why I still believe Gilbert can regain his form.

*** Remember I have followed this team since 1977 when I was a kid and I have seen a whole lot worse happen to them (i.e. John "hotplate" Williams). Gil is not going to be the "hotplate"......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 9:36 AM

"If you want to blame anybody, blame the wizards "crack" medical squad. Or if you want, blame it on Gil when he did the whole parachute thing. This time I don't think Gil did anything wrong.

Posted by: babbtong | September 18, 2008 9:31 AM "

Yeah, blame the season ticket holders who renewed because "everyone knew I (Gilby) wasn't coming back until January anyway."

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:45 AM

I think it would be poetic justice for us to steal a rehabbed Sean Livingston... Or we could trade an Obama flag pin to Dallas for Josh Howard...

Posted by: khrabb | September 18, 2008 9:45 AM

"Now I would agree with you about not using Stoudamire as an example if Gilbert had the same "micro-fracture" procedure. Then yes, Gilbert's game would be toast out there on the perimeter. But Gilbert did not have this procedure, it was not even his ACL I think, so that is why I am still holding out hope. I guess I am just a person who tries to see the glass half full instead of half empty.......

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 9:36 AM "

Sorry, but I'd have to give you a Family Feud "XXX" buzz.

As I recall, Gilby did have a microfracture procedure performed. During his second surgery, they found some sort of defect in his knee and microfracture surgery was performed.

BTW, comparing Gilby's game with Stoudemire is like compare apples to oranges.

If Gilby loses his quickness, his defender won't have to play off him.

If Stoudemire loses his quickness, he can still rebound, block shots, defend, dunk, put backs, etc, but all that is moot b/c Stoudemire is back and didn't require 3 surgeries.

Also, Gilby's had issues with his dislocated clavicle and pulled abdominal muscle...all without playing any D.

Gilby relies much much more on quickness for his success compared to Stoudemire.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:52 AM

Anybody who has hopes of EG bringing someone in, forget about it.

EG, as many people like to say, "ain't going over no darn lux tax welfare limit" for no 15th man on the roster.

Everybody else will just need to suck it up and ball.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:54 AM

Can someone nominate Connell for a Nobel Prize in medical science already?

-------------------------------------------

"I repaired a partial tear of Gilbert's left medial meniscus," said Connell. "In addition, he had a nonweight-bearing articular surface defect in the trochlea treated by microfracture. We are optismitic that he will be able to return to action in three months." - Nov '07

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:58 AM

BTW, comparing Gilby's game with Stoudemire is like compare apples to oranges.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:52 AM

Ok, thanks for reminding he did have the microfracture procedure, but I think I now remember them saying it was not the severe kind like Stoudemire, Houston, or Penny had.

As for the Stoudemire example, I definitely know they have two different games. I was not trying to compare that. I was just using Stoudemire as an example of someone who was able to come back from major knee surgery and still be productive even after their team took a chance on them and signed him to a max contract.

I was trying to show people who are jumping all on Grunfield and Abe for resigning Gil there was another team (i.e. Suns) who did the same thing of signing a injured star to a max contract and how it still was able to work out.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 10:47 AM

Gilbert had to nerve to question other player's contract

Wizards were robbed

Posted by: asdf | September 18, 2008 10:59 AM

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 11:02 AM

Is Juan dixen really pushing to resign---hey he is instant offense off the bench--and we all know Nick can't play much D--yet.. Lets sign him--I trust his offense more than Dee Browns!!

Posted by: curt stephens | September 18, 2008 11:04 AM

If the Wiz hadn't resigned Gil they were so far over the cap that they would not have had space to sign another player.

The only way the Wiz could have gotten far enough under the cap to sign another FA would have been to renounce the rights to Jamison as well. Short term, the assumption that the Wiz could have let Gil walk and improved as a team doesn't quite jive with reality.

The key question is if this is a lingering, longterm condition. I always thought the goal this year was to have Arenas healthy going down the stretch. The goal for him should be to build his confidence and finish the year strong. Since he wasn't going to resume basketball activity til August 1st, even with that timetable I was expecting him to start slow. Getting this problem behind him and his gaining full confidence in the knee should have been this year's goals. He's going to need a healthy offseason to get back to Allstar level.

I'd feel better if the Wiz would have sent Gil to see Dr. Andrews in Alabama. Seems that almost every other sports star with a major problem ends up there.

Posted by: GM | September 18, 2008 11:14 AM

I'm confused.

I saw nowhere that Gilbert was going to be out until THIS story broke.

Now the spin is that this surgery will allow him to come back QUICKER than before?

So he was going to be out LONGER than December/January prior to this surgery??

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Posted by: Gregors | September 18, 2008 11:14 AM

Shaun Livingston! What's the harm in taking a look?

Posted by: Shaun Livingston | September 18, 2008 11:17 AM

Suck it up Washington!!! LOL!!! Gil just putoff his knee surgery just to sign 100mil contract..now that he has got his contract!!! he will rest in his bed for the rest of season...this guy is fake and craves for media attention all the time...BOGUS!!!! i wouldnt criticize him for his knee surgery...its the owner who signed him lost his mind...this team needs new owner and new coach...

Posted by: LOL | September 18, 2008 11:20 AM

From the horse's mouth in June:

"I came out of a quick retirement for this blog. I wanted to announce that I’m happy to remain a Washington Wizard.

Wizards fans, go ahead and renew your tickets. We got the team back, we’re going to be healthy and I don’t know what the slogan is for next year, so I can’t say it. Before I could say like “Ready to Rule” or “Go All In,” but they haven’t told me the new one yet, so I can’t say it. "

What a joke.

Posted by: Gregors | September 18, 2008 11:21 AM

Posted by: GM | September 18, 2008 11:14 AM

GM I agree with your post, however even Dr. Andrews would not have prevented 3 surgeries if Gilbert chose to not listen to his advice on rehabbing the knee. If Dr. Andrews did the first surgery the same thing would have happened because Gilbert would not have followed Dr. Andrew's rehab advice either.

I still believe that is where he did all of his major damage (playing ball on an outside court and parachute running on an uneven football field) all before his knee was fully healed. Unfortunately, Gil did this to himself. I am not mad at him for trying to go "hard" on his rehab, but it looks like he did more damage than good.

I still feel he will be alright by sometimes in Feb. or March. I like the Juan Dixon idea, but he still needs to work on his handle to be a better "1" guard. He is a "2" guard living in a "1" guard's body. That is why he is unsigned right now.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 11:35 AM

"That doesn't mean the guy walks on water and Gil just needs his healing touch. It just seems like when your franchise player is having trouble with a joint that's now been gone in three times, getting a world renown doctor to give a second opinion would be something that both Gil and the Wiz would want.

Posted by: GM | September 18, 2008 11:14 AM "

Sorry, Abe only offers an HMO plan, not PPO.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 11:40 AM

This is terrible news for the NBA and Wiz fans. Hopefully Gil can get healthy and come back in January or so. Definitely a chance for Nick to take a step up and produce consistently.

Posted by: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO | September 18, 2008 11:50 AM

I said as far back as before the end of last regular season that if the Wiz went one and done in the playoffs that Grunfeld should give serious consideration to breaking up the "Big 3" and starting over, even if it meant taking some steps back for a season or two. Even though I can understand why they didn't take that route, the tendency to think "what if" is pretty much unavoidable.

I'll take the optimist's road and assume that Arenas can come back healthy and ready to go. There's still the problem of what they do until then. With Mason gone, they've lost their most reliable backup at both PG and SG. Haven't seen anything to suggest Dee Brown and Nick Young are ready to step up to the plate, but summer league really isn't a true barometer. Hopefully the preseson will be more telling.

Posted by: kalorama | September 18, 2008 11:55 AM

OMG!!! The Sky is FALLING!!!! Sike, i'm cool with this roster as long as Eddie unleashes Nick Young and stop all that damn defense talk. DeShawn can't score consistently and Brown and Daniels ain't nothing. So its either Nick with big minutes off the bench or I say go big and have a lineup of
Daniels
Butler
Jamison
Blatche
Haywood

I know Deshawn gonna be pissed and leave the bench VERY thin, but we can't fall behind early in the loss column.

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 11:56 AM

They need to find a way to get Blanche in the starting lineup now. I don't care how it happens!

Posted by: David | September 18, 2008 12:00 PM

Just a thought, to my fellow "Band of Bloggers", what are your thoughts on making a play for Ben Gordon? At the very least, he can either start or provide depth to the bench

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 12:00 PM

"i keep going back to the night he originally hurt the knee against the Bobcats if he had not been late to the arena, that's why he was benched this is karma comming back to Gil for trying to show up EJ after being criticized in the media for his poor defense the night before in Charlotte "

I was at that fateful game, and I still to this day blame Wallace for all of this. I like his game and his constant effort, but he is consistenly out of control (see the multiple concussions he's suffered), as he was out of control on the play that altered Arenas and the Wizards for ever.

Wallace is like that dude at the gym who plays hard, but always ends up hurting himself or someone else. if we want to talk about karma, then here's to karma giving Wallace a few more concussions!

Posted by: the 3rd Price brother | September 18, 2008 12:01 PM

Unless Gordon is willing to play for the vet minimum, it ain't gonna happen. The Wiz have no money and no tradable assets that the Bulls would want for him.

Posted by: kalorama | September 18, 2008 12:03 PM

Actually, forget the vet minimum. Gordon is restricted, so the Bulls can match any offer made to him. And they'd certainly match anything up to the MLE.

Posted by: kalorama | September 18, 2008 12:04 PM

Instead of everybody hating on Lebron and Kwame when they come to town, we should throw stuff at Gerald Wallace when the Bobcats show up.

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 12:05 PM

Tradeable assets you say? Well how about a 8.5 million dollar expiring contract named Etan Thomas. If we can't get Gordon, i'm sure one of those "trying to cut payroll so I can pay Lebron" teams will jump on 8.5 mil. For instance, Etan for Jamal Crawford? I'd make that move. Put Crawford in Eddie's system and you got Gilbert lite.

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 12:09 PM

this from si.com:
"According to a league source familiar with the procedure, the Wizards' All-Star point guard will not be able to play in early December, which Arenas has targeted for his return. Though the team has not offered a specific timetable for Arenas, it is expected that Agent Zero will be out until at least January and could miss as much as half the season."

nice.

Posted by: dk | September 18, 2008 12:10 PM

dk, dont ever ever ever believe anything that si tells you. They say things just to draw attention to themselves because ESPN the Mag has made them a thing of the past.

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 12:12 PM

Posted by: C.Bell | September 18, 2008 12:09 PM

It expires in two years, not this year.

Posted by: Pradamaster | September 18, 2008 12:21 PM

Curious how everyone feels about Ivan not ferreting this out earlier, or worse possibly not reporting it. I know it is Summer but is he not dedicated full time to covering the Wizards? I can't imagine how with any due diligence he could not have discovered that Gil was having issues. He is only the star player, coming off two other surgeries, freshly signed to a ridiculous contract...basically the fate of the franchise rides with his recovery. How can you not, if truly digging for info, get a sense that things were horribly amiss?

I know Ivan took some time off but I don't give him a pass for the whole summer. Did Ivan fail in his duties by not getting this story or at least a realistic capture of where Gil was in rehab earlier?

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | September 18, 2008 12:22 PM

test

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:26 PM

Jamal Crawford is a chucker who doesn't play any D and he's vastly overpaid ($10 mil/yr) for a guy who, 9 years into his career, has never actually improved any team he's played for. And both he and Thomas have contracts that expire at the same time, so there's no incentive for NY to make such a deal.

Posted by: kalorama | September 18, 2008 12:29 PM

Ernie Grunfeld FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Nothing about Gilbert's personal health history, rehab tendencies, or ability to be honest about his own condition speaks to his being worth his contract.

Does anyone really expect Gilbert to average 28.5 and hit 40 foot bombs like he used to? I sure don't. Given his game, if he's not pouring it in, he's not worth max money. Not even close.

We'll be lucky if his 6 year contract averages are 23 and 4.5.

Posted by: Mel Turpin | September 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Great signing....Keep signing guys coming off multiple Knee surgeries who weren't even worth the money before the surgeries.

EG & EJ will be fired at the end of the season if not sooner.

We have one of the worst front offices in the NBA. Like I tried to tell everyone before we just ruined the franchise for the next 6 years by giving "the black hole" 111 mil.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:42 PM

Gilbert is all about Gilbert... He knew it was more important to have his knee in top shape before Sept 17... What was the whole idea of the promo touring he did in July...
He probably spent more time in the airplane than in the gym anyway... He was dancing at Andray Blatche birthday party on Aug 20th, checkin out all the girls there too... He's full of himself

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:48 PM

Avoiding DC88 is easy. Just look for the quotes at the start of the entry. You can even catch DC88's occasional attempts to disguise his/her authorship. Look for an undue interest in the nether parts of professional athletes.

Or their mamas

If you read through an entire entry, though, you've really got no one to blame but yourself. And if you respond . . .

With that out of the way, of course I'm distressed at the latest in the Arenas soap opera, but it seems to me, first, that, while history argues against it, there's at least a chance that current events will diminish in importance over the course of a still unstarted season. Second, for those of you who are so concerned about how Mr. Pollin spends his -- repeat, his -- money, do you figure you know the content of every line of Arenas's contract? Are you sure the team is completely unprotected against this fairly predictable outcome?

I skimmed the posts to yesterday's blog. Apart from the usual DC88 sickness, things seemed reasonably tame. I was struck, however, by the reappearance of the "Bring on Ted!" nonsense. If you really think Teddy will revivify the franchise, investigate (1) when he made his money, (2) where he made his money, (3) how he made his money, and (4) how he spent his money when he finally got control of his first piece of true bling. Abe won't look so bad, then.

(Oh, DC88, let me see if I can save you some time:
DaBing is a scumbag.
DaBing's mama is a scumbag.
DaBing's mama is a scumbag and has a disease of the hindquarters.
A**hole.
Rectum.
Poopoo.
Kaka.
Sh*t.)

I checked up on "scumbag." Guess why. According to an official WashPost representative -- not I. Carter -- it's unobjectionable. What a world.

Is there anybody out there who wants to talk about the 13 healthy Wizards? About basketball?

Posted by: DaBing | September 18, 2008 1:00 PM

As season ticket holders, what can we do about this? I wish we could vote on having Ernie go over salary cap. I just want a better backup PG. Ernie better make a move to better the team before opening day.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:04 PM

This is just another chapter in the Wiz/Bullets saga. Remember CWebb's shoulder? How about Muresan doing a movie and never playing again? Old azz Mitch Richmond? Jerry "I'm shutting it down" Crackhouse? I'll go back even further...Rex 'In Effex' Chapman? A broke down Bernard King? The list goes on and on. This team has been cursed since they lost to the Sonics in 1979. Bad health, poor decisions, cheap owner...hell, they even made MJ look like a mere mortal. And who can forget the greatest No. 1 overall pick...Kwame Brown?! For us lifelong Wiz/Bullets fans, this is nothing new. The curse of Les Boulez (a term TK coined about 10+ years ago) continues.

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 18, 2008 1:12 PM

"Why is everyone tripping out". After hearing that quote, I have just about given up on this guy. I am losing more respect for him each day. Either he is a liar, or he is dealing with Dr. Nick from the Simpsons. I'm leaning towards the fact the Gil's a lying POS, who just kind of "dragged the team along" since the original injury in Apr. 2007. I find it impossible to believe that an injury that was originally diagnosed as 2-3 months, could take 20 MONTHS to heal. He is dealing with the best trainers and doctors in the country. Gil has fooled all Wizards fans, and more importantly, EG and Abe. I bet it was originally far more serious (in APR 2007) than was reported, and he knew it. He knew his contract year was approaching, so he didn't want to go out on the court and stink it up and lose. Think about it, if Gil plays the ENTIRE 07-08 season, and the Wiz still lose in the 1st round, do you really think he gets 111 million. Absolutely not. He knew what he was doing all along, then he teases the team and fans by opting out, saying he will explore all options. This gives EG and Abe a taste of life w/o Gilbert, and the fans all beg for him to get signed. he never had any intention of signing anywhere else, he just wanted to get a few offers thrown at him, so EG would be forced to sign him to a max. Arenas is a lying cheat, and he totally PLAYED the front office of the Wizards. Way to go Gil! I hope the business world works out for you well!

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 1:14 PM

forgot to add, I will bet anyone money that he returns in January, once the Skins season is over. He will only return when him, and only him, will DOMINATE the DC sports headlines. More face time = more publicity = more endorsements and media. Again he is a lying POS, who is truly a greedy, selfish person.

It's pretty easy to give 1,000 bucks to a local school, when you get pain 175,000 per game to SIT AND WATCH. That is less than 1% of his PER GAME salary. Yeah, what a humanitarian.

Gil, you fooled us all, including myselef. I used to actually vouch for the man. This will go down as the one of the worst sigings in all of pro-sports.

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 1:15 PM

Poor season ticket holders who renewed didn't get the 411 from the newsflash/blogger extraordinaire who said that everyone knew he wasn't going to come back until January anyway.

It's so funny, you got to laugh.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 1:20 PM

I wonder if 'The Blogger' will read any of these comments? Oh, that's right, he's got a grotta to finish! Or is he running off to the Phillipines to get some love? Maybe he should just go ahead and call out Bron Bron and the Cavs now and talk about how the team hasn't been healthy and they haven't played the 'real' Wiz. As far as I can tell, the real Wiz are CB3, AJ, DS, AD and BH. Gil hasn't been a part of this 'team' since he went down in the 2007 playoffs. Geez, I wonder how much I can get for that free jersey I caught in the stands last year on Ebay now?

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 18, 2008 1:21 PM

Things have changed a lot over the past decade or two in professional sports in general. Players used to understand that it was their responsibility to ensure that all was in order so that they were ready to report on the first day of work; the opening of training camp. Now, they can goof around during the offseason, address whatever issues need their attention when they feel like it, and it seems as though no one holds them accountable to a very basic principle: If you are not able to meet the terms of your contract (i.e., work) then the contract is null and void. Since they aren't held accountable for that, you now have many athletes in various sports holding hostage a good part of the teams' seasons. Until team and league management reinforce the principle that the "we" is more important than the "I", self-centered, egotistical athletes will continue this behavior. What would be their motivation to change? They're getting their way with arrangement.

Posted by: Dee Samuelson | September 18, 2008 1:36 PM

Ivan Carter, you call this good coverage? I don't mind the news as much as not knowing about it. You're Fired!

Ernie Grunfeld, you did the right thing by resigning Gilbert. You signed him for six years not for one. But you still fail to fill out this team's roster. The Wiz will not be prepared to last a full season in more than one position (PG, SF) You're Fired!!

We need a new t-shirt, "Luxury Tax or Bust"

Posted by: Donald Trump | September 18, 2008 1:38 PM

whooo vicious... Have a Great Chat, Ivan

Posted by: khrabb | September 18, 2008 1:57 PM

Yes, Fire Ivan Carter. Completely asleep at the wheel or complicit in the cover up/hold off of the story until the Wiz finished stealing money from season ticket holders.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:23 PM

This sucks! Really sucks! Every other team in the Eastern Conference has gotten better through trades etc and we stood pat.

Hey business is business, but I too wonder if he knew something was up with that knee before signing his contract. Auggh! I really don't know what to say. What the shiggity is going on!!!! And they let my homey Roger Mason walk. Now who else do they have. Nick is still a couple of years away as far as I can see. He can shoot but that is pretty much all he can do. Auggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:14 PM

saw in one of the articles there was mention of articular resurfacing, or articular repair....for lay people that involves surgery on the cartilage surface. If surgery was performed to that, that implies that there is/was cartilage damage. Cartilage damage leads to degenerative joint disease. Best thing going these days is microfracture surgery, which is what Gil may or may not have had. Given the history of Gil, believe we don't know really know the answer to that. We do know that other NBA players have come back from that, but none have been as explosive as pre-op.

Posted by: ryan | September 18, 2008 3:39 PM

Here we go again! This team still can't play defense and we still do not have a strong inside game. Take away the best player and it's more for Butler & Jamison to handle. If Haywood was more imposing and could put fear into people driving the paint, then I would say there was a chance, but no one fears him, not even my 1 yr old.

Posted by: toochilled | September 18, 2008 4:16 PM

It's GA's business as to whether he's going to have surgery or not and who he choses as his doc. Sure his contract very well may work his way up the list as the worst but it's GA's contract and GA's knee. People were paying for Wizard season tickets and if the ticket buyers are so upset that they're (former) star isn't going to be there when they have a good chance to get to the playoffs without him then I'd say those fans aren't worth having. Even with him no one worth their opinion is picking them better than sixth anyway. Grow up and pass the bucket catching all those tears, there's water shortages.

Posted by: cav man | September 18, 2008 4:47 PM

I'm not a season ticket holder, but have always went to 6-8 games a year primarily because they Wiz were an exciting team. Now I feel that Wizards management has broken faith with the team by requiring season ticket holder final payments prior to announcing that GA would be out indefinitely. Presale of individual games also went out the day before Agent Zero went under the knife. Glad I didn't rush to buy tickets for opening night.

I think Mr. Pollin should do the right thing and offer season ticket holders the option of receiving a full refund. It sounds like many of the folks on this blog who are season ticket holders feel like they were lied to about GA. Worse, it appears the team took no steps to mitigate for the potential absence of their star player. Re-signing Roger Mason appeared to be a no-brainer except for the fact that it would have put the team over the luxury tax. I'm now disgusted by what seems like at best a screw up by management or downright taking advantage of loyal fans to renew their season tickets. Dee Brown was a sorry excuse for a third PG and now looks even worse as the backup.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 18, 2008 5:17 PM

Not re-signing Roger Mason was a big mistake.

Not re-signing Roger Mason was a big mistake.

I will offer free ball handling lessons to the Wizards backup guards... they need it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:53 PM

Don't you guys know what the NBA Stands for???? Not Before April... The Wizards will be alright... On another note, I wish my boy CP would put Brian Mitchell's ass out!

Posted by: Mark Norton | September 18, 2008 5:54 PM

My comment above... not meant to be anonymous... I repeat...

Free ball handling lessons, including how not to attempt to use AND1 moves in traffic... (in the NBA) resulting in dribbling off your own foot, and/or out of bounds while simply bringing the ball up court.

I like the moves, even invented some, but there's a time and a place (i.e. Barry Farms or Rucker instead of during NBA games).

Posted by: DOrr | September 18, 2008 5:55 PM

Wizards should sign Tamir Goodman!!!!

Posted by: Ross Koenig | September 18, 2008 5:57 PM

anyone else think the skins could use B Mitch out of retirement??

Posted by: #30 | September 18, 2008 8:40 PM

TOLD YOU SO

EG & EJ both FIRED!!!!!

Next offseason the new GM will be desperately trying to get rid of all these horrible contracts.

I laugh at all of you who tried to say EG was a top tier GM....what a joke. This team/roster is a joke as well. What a waste of money and the next 6 years.

Even if Gilly ever comes back he will never be the same....the thing that sucks about that is he was always overrated and never that good to beging with.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:48 AM

"Shaun Livingston! What's the harm in taking a look?"

Posted by: Shaun Livingston | September 18, 2008 11:17 AM

I thought briefly about the same thing, but look at the posts above. Do you really think this city can take another re-injured knee?? LMAO!!

Posted by: KappaKidToo | September 19, 2008 1:01 PM