Wizards chat today at 3 p.m.

Folks still have a ton of questions/thoughts on the Gilbert Arenas situation so feel free to drop in and join the online chat we will be conducting this afternoon at 3. It's a murky situation so I can't solve every riddle but I'll do my best.

A timeline of events:

-April 4, 2007: Arenas suffers a tear in his left meniscus after Charlotte's Gerald Wallace falls into the side of his leg after attempting a reverse layup. Arenas did not start that night because he was late for a mandatory pre-game shootaround. The Wizards played the previous night in Charlotte. Arenas underwent surgery the next day and was declared to be out for around three months.

-Oct. 31: After seeing limited action during camp and the preseason, Arenas is in the lineup for the season opening game at Indiana. He scores 34 points and forces OT with a last-second game-tying three-pointer in regulation but the Wizards lose. Still, all looks well so far and the shot appeared to show that Arenas was on his way.

Nov. 8: After complaining of soreness and stiffness in the knee area for several days and twice having the knee drained of excess fluid, Arenas has an on-court chat with Nets star Jason Kidd following a close loss in New Jersey. Kidd, who had undergone knee surgery in the past, tells Arenas to get a second opinion on the state of the knee and take his time cominng back.

Nov 17: The morning after scoring 27 points and hitting several big shots down the stretch during a win at Minnesota, Arenas wakes up with severe pain in the knee. He sits out the next two games.

Nov: 21: After tests reveal a partial tear in the meniscus as well as a problem in another part of the knee, Arenas undergoes surgery to repair the meniscus and also undergoes a microfracture procedure that repairs a non-weight bearing bone in the side of the knee. A three-month timetable is established for Arenas' return.
"We expect Gilbert to make a full recovery," said team president Ernie Grunfeld.

April 2: After saying that he would not play that night, Arenas makes a surprise return off the bench against Milwaukee and scores 17 points on 5 of 9 shooting. He plays two nights later against Miami and goes on to play in five of the last eight regular season games.

April 30: Prior to Game 5 of the team's first round playoff series against Cleveland, Arenas tells reporters that he is "shutting it down" due to a bone bruise and pinched nerve in the knee.

Yesterday: After taking a cautious approach to rehab all summer, Arenas has the knee cleaned out and says he hopes to return to game action by December. Grunfeld repeatedly states that the team has set no timeline and makes it clear that Arenas will not play until the knee is healthy.

By Ivan Carter |  September 18, 2008; 12:34 PM ET
Previous: Does 'No Timetable' for Arenas Mean a Long Absence? | Next: Arenas Updates Status

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"Why is everyone tripping out". After hearing that quote, I have just about given up on this guy. I am losing more respect for him each day. Either he is a liar, or he is dealing with Dr. Nick from the Simpsons. I'm leaning towards the fact the Gil's a lying POS, who just kind of "dragged the team along" since the original injury in Apr. 2007. I find it impossible to believe that an injury that was originally diagnosed as 2-3 months, could take 20 MONTHS to heal. He is dealing with the best trainers and doctors in the country. Gil has fooled all Wizards fans, and more importantly, EG and Abe. I bet it was originally far more serious (in APR 2007) than was reported, and he knew it. He knew his contract year was approaching, so he didn't want to go out on the court and stink it up and lose. Think about it, if Gil plays the ENTIRE 07-08 season, and the Wiz still lose in the 1st round, do you really think he gets 111 million. Absolutely not. He knew what he was doing all along, then he teases the team and fans by opting out, saying he will explore all options. This gives EG and Abe a taste of life w/o Gilbert, and the fans all beg for him to get signed. he never had any intention of signing anywhere else, he just wanted to get a few offers thrown at him, so EG would be forced to sign him to a max. Arenas is a lying cheat, and he totally PLAYED the front office of the Wizards. Way to go Gil! I hope the business world works out for you well!

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 1:12 PM

I forgot to add, I will bet anyone money that he returns in January, once the Skins season is over. He will only return when him, and only him, will DOMINATE the DC sports headlines. More face time = more publicity = more endorsements and media. Again he is a lying POS, who is truly a greedy, selfish person.

It's pretty easy to give 1,000 bucks to a local school, when you get pain 175,000 per game to SIT AND WATCH. That is less than 1% of his PER GAME salary. Yeah, what a humanitarian.

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 1:13 PM

we should sign marbury for a dollar

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:51 PM

Yo Gil. If you are reading or hearing all of the negativity flowing your way, don't sweat it. Do what you have to do to get your knee right and then come back better than ever......

I ain't mad at ya, bro. You made a mistake by doing it "your way" after the first surgery and that is probably why you are on your third repair. However, we all make mistakes. Learn from it, don't repeat it and move on. Everybody is not thinking negatively about you like a lot of these posts are indicating. Get strong for the second half of the season........

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 1:59 PM

Typical chicken little panic reactions. Gil WANTS to be injured? Is that the take we're going with? That a guy who over-works his body to get on court is actually happy to sit on the sideline and slack off? That a 40 minute per game player who tells his coach he's fine and wants to play more is actually just trying o fool the team into overpaying?

Understood, it's frustratign for fans, and understood it's been a long time since we've seen the cat play at the peak of his game, it's easy to forget how good he can be. But understand this is the guy who plays for free in Barry Farms precisely because the game means more to him than money.

Idiotic to risk your career out there? Maybe. Poor judgment to play those long sessions on the pavement and likely interfere with his rehab? Sure. Questionable decision-making that the team signed him long-term for high dollars despite the probability that he'd miss a few months the first year. You could make that case.

But Gil's main problem is that he wants to play so badly that he forces the issue. Don't you think he'd pay a million bucks to be able to play in front of the crowd and hit the game winning shots and collect accolades.

If there's fault and blame I'd lay it squarely on the feet of the family-friend discount doctors that the team has always used. And if it were me and my multi-millon dolalr career I'd have found Amare's doctor in Arizona because clearly he got his done right. And a bloated and injured Shaq suddenly experiences a miracle cure under their care.

But the Wiz team physicians-- these guys never seem to make the smart decision the first time. Same old crap every time.

If Gil make a bad choice it was trusting the team sawbones and returning to the same guys who did him wrong the first time. If he'd had an agent they would have found him the best medical team he could afford.

The med staff needs an upgrade.

Posted by: doclinkin | September 18, 2008 2:06 PM

dude, please put the link to the chat in the post. you'll get a lot more hits that way and make it easy for us to find.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:11 PM

"Gil, you fooled us all, including myselef. I used to actually vouch for the man. This will go down as the one of the worst sigings in all of pro-sports."

I did also, and I agree. Gil lost me in the playoffs when he strapped his coach and didn't tell him that he was going to play, then right afterwards shut it down.

You can't do that to your team, especially after being out all year and expect the results to be any good....and it wasn't. He should have apologized to the team, but then again we are talking about Gilbert Arenas.

He made his money, good for him. But now the Wiz are tied to him for a long time and will never get any better because of his contract. Oh that's right, he's still not able to play, let alone walk.

Gil is NOT worth the contract he signed and him saying "What the big deal?" after needing further surgery just goes to show you his "all about me" attitude.

I used to like the guy and constantly defend him, ask anyone on this blog. I just can't do it anymore.

On another note, I feel lied to by Wizards management. We were led to believe "everything is ok" with Gil and that he would be back in time to start the season. Clearly that was never the case and mislead fans so they would renew season tickets, sell jersey's, bobble heads, ect..

Now they are saying "the team has set no timeline and makes it clear that Arenas will not play until the knee is healthy."

Mr.Polin and EG should be ashamed of themselves, but then again maybe they are getting what they deserve. While I wish the best for the players and will always cheer for them, I will be praying everyday that something happens so that Ted Leonsis will take over the team and be able to head them in the right direction. God knows that I have had to deal with the Redskins and thier bumbling two-headed monster the last ten years.

I used to think that it was MJ's fault when that whole fiasco imploded on the Wizards a few years back. Now I am not so sure.

My question to Gil: are you going to give any of that money back that you conned the Wizards out of?

Lame.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 18, 2008 2:12 PM

"The med staff needs an upgrade."

They have for years Doc, they really seem to give bad advice all of the time.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 18, 2008 2:13 PM

Everybody in sports knows that:
we over-paid for Gilbert.

Posted by: Too-late | September 18, 2008 2:31 PM

The med staff needs an upgrade.

Posted by: doclinkin | September 18, 2008 2:06 PM

Yo Doclinkin. Great post. I could not have put it any better myself, although I might not totally blame the team medical staff. As GM suggested, even if it was Dr. Andrews Gil probably would have still rehabbed it his way because of all the reasons you listed above in your post.

This was just bad judgement on Gil's part to rehab the knee himself and push it as hard as he did when it was not ready for that kind of impact on it.

Time for Abe and EG to eat the luxary tax this year and go out and get a "nice" point guard just in case Gil does not come back at all this year......... Is Miles the PG from last summer still on the Dallas Mavaricks preseason roster?

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 2:36 PM

I find it crazy that there are actually people on here defeding this man. This is the same guy who does not tell his HEAD COACH that he is going to come back vs. the Bucks. The same guy who just decides to "shut it down" when he realizes his team is down 3-1 and he is not effective. Way to go down with the ship Gil! Could any of you imagine a player dong that to Greg Pop, or Phil. Haha, give me a break. Again I used to love Gil and voouch for him. 3 SURGERIES IN 15 MONTHS. Come on Wiz fans, wake up and smell the hot coffee.

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 2:39 PM

"

Posted by: cj658 | September 18, 2008 2:39 PM "

Yes, and this is the same guy who only came back at the end of last season for "financial reasons" as he freely admitted.

He wanted to showcase just enough of something to keep teams interested.

I find it funny that Gilby gets offended when people talk about him.

Now he knows how it feels when he talks about other players and their situations.

Well, guess what? Luol Deng got paid, Okafor got paid, and AI got paid, despite what Gilby thought.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 2:57 PM

Look at the bright side, they can crash and burn like Miami last year and get the No. 1 pick and take Tyler Hansborogh! You know the Wiz would be stupid enough, don't you?

The person we should feel bad for is Butler...stuck here another 3-4 years in complete mediocrity. Poor guy is still dreaming about sunny beaches and hot chick in MIA/LA. One team won a title and the other got their and he missed out on both. Sorry CB3!

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 18, 2008 3:08 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 2:57 PM

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 3:10 PM

Hi, This is Gilbert Arenas and I want to tell you a story about going from a Hero to a Zero. I remember starting every game and leading the league in scoring. I dropped 60 on Kobe and the world loved me. I got a blog on NBA.com and my jersey shot up to the top 10! Then I showed up late for a game after blasting my coach. He benched me for the 1st qtr and then put me in with the scrubs. Well, wouldn't you know it...some scrub crashed into my knee and killed my best shot at beating Bron Bron and the Boyz. So, instead of following directions, I decided I was going to be a 'Hero' again and do it 'my way'. I guess that didn't work out too well and had to take the season off. I put my cape on again in the playoffs but Bron Bron brought his kryptonite and sapped my powers. Now I'm going to miss another half a season while strangling my team's salary cap. But hey, we should get a top draft pick out of it!

And that's the way I went from a 'Hero to a Zero'!

Posted by: Vlad The Impaler | September 18, 2008 3:16 PM

"DC he did get one right and that was Ben Gorden. He is is still trying to get paid.

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | September 18, 2008 3:10 PM "

Scoring a 25% success rate to date doesn't justify the fact that he made inappropriate comments that were proven erroneous about the contract situations of players that he had no business commenting about.

You don't hear or see other players calling out Gilby as a liar, a fraud, and that the Wiz overpaid him to sit his behind on the bench while hoping his lil' boo boo eventually heals.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 3:26 PM

Posted by: ryan from DC | September 18, 2008 3:28 PM

"Before EG and Polin signed Gilbert to the $111 million dollar contract, his knee was a major topic. Did they have his knee go through an updated MRI and have other doctors look at his knee for 2nd opinions. If they did this, wouldn't they have seen the particles? If they didn't, why not?

Posted by: ryan from DC | September 18, 2008 3:28 PM "

B/c Gilby would have thrown a hissy fit and driven off the GW Parkway.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 3:58 PM

B/c Gilby would have thrown a hissy fit and driven off the GW Parkway.

DC MAN88 you R 2 funny.

I could see him huffing and puffing in the locker room.. Oh, did you see his interview outside his home yesterday on WJLA 7... He was limping up his drive-way, wearing a tee-shirt of his naked daughter pic on it that read DADDY'S LITTLE GIRL.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:16 PM

A little something for all of those who were quick to usher Roger Mason out the door and turn the keys over to Nick Young:

Ivan Carter: I can't speak for Eddie Jordan but as a guy who watched this team up close both home and away all of last season, Roger Mason Jr. is going to be sorely missed. Just off the top of my head I can think of six to eight games he helped them when while Gilbert, Caron and/or Antonio Daniels was out last season. Now, Roger is a Spur.

Posted by: kalorama | September 18, 2008 4:35 PM

Ha! Check my posts that I got roasted for before EG signed him to his new $111 million contract. I said he would NEVER be the same and he was not good enough anyway for him to hold the franchise hostage for the next 6 yrs. Were EG's hands tied to a certain degree especially with Pollin's love of Arenas and Jamison? Maybe. But, this is going to be a terrible contract. Maybe we can get some early retirement cap credit down the line ala Allan Houston. Around the Horn just blasted the signing as well. Ah, the life of a Wiz/Bullets fan!

Posted by: Rob P | September 18, 2008 5:20 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:22 PM

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY GIL KEEPS GETTING SURGERIES FROM THE WIZARD TEAM DOCTOR?!! AS MUCH AS HE MAKES WHY IS HE NOT GOING TO A TOP SPECIALIST IN THE FIELD???

AS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER I WILL DEMAND A REFUND AND MAY EVEN CONSIDER A FRAUD SUIT FOR DAMAGES UNLESS THIS TEAM MAKES A MOVE, AND I MEAN A MAJOR MOVE LIKE BEN GORDON.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:36 PM

Please sign Juan Dixon!!! Fans love him here, and he should never have been let go!! That playoff game he carried us in was amazing! He brings excitment to Verizon Center!! And he bring class to the organization!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:52 PM

The Wiz should go for Kirk Hinrich or Ben Gordon by trading Etan/Daniels. The Bulls get a Big and back up PG.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:04 PM

"where is this online chat held? there was no link in the post? or did i miss something?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 6:22 PM "

How can you find this blog if you can't even find the home page for the Post?

The chat was already held at 1500 today.

Look on the homepage and scroll down.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 18, 2008 9:05 PM

Ivan,

Please post a link to your chats in the post announcing them.

Thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:12 PM

I agree with Kalorama and Ivan Carter regarding Mason. You groom a local kid, watch him grow and then allow him to leave without so much of a whimper? Watch him blossom in San Antonio, while we wait on the "phenom" to take flight.
Young has hops, no doubt about it, but he's too streaky. We had the perfect 3-point guard, willing to defend and play team ball and we allowed him to get away. The Wizards have a tradition of allowing decent players to bust out and become good ones.....elsewhere. Here's the latest example. Young should have been packaged and traded in this year's draft for players or better yet picks; present, future or both. Then, perhaps, we might have been talking about how George Hill and Joey Dorsey might have been able to help take us to the next level, in addition to McGee. Instead, we reduced to having a decent prospect in McGee only, while we watched as almost everyone else in the conference improved greatly. I know we were hampered greatly by the cap, but that's not news. Shaking up the roster and moving some contented players in favor of hungry ones would have been newsworthy. I don't see an improvement over 43-39 trifecta for 2008. Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like another brightly colored bow tie on the pig to me.

Posted by: Kappakidtoo | September 18, 2008 11:34 PM

carter....."This puts major pressure on Nick Young to bust out with an excellent second season. He showed flashes last year and worked hard on his game and body this summer but he struggled in summer league and to me, is a one-dimensional player. No doubt, the kid can score. But from what we've seen so far, he's not an especially good passer (in a system that calls for it), ball handler (ditto) or defender (on a team with other weaknesses in this area). It's a lot to ask but barring a move, it's what this team is going to do. "

man, that's a merrill lynch size downgrade from ivan, who used to defend Young when i made my snarky comments about his suckatude. guess he finally saw the light.

sign dixon.

Posted by: stevie | September 19, 2008 12:19 AM

Signing Dixon would almost placate me. He fills two voids--the hometown kid and the feel-good role player. Plus, he'd put some butts back in the seats which makes him a good business decision. What do you do when you can't afford another superstar? You get someone that the crowd will show up to see.

The crowd loves a hometown kid. The VC was always hopping when Juan had a good night. All the Terp fans would get all riled up and win or lose, the game was fun.

Gil, AJ, and CB3 are great, but we know they're great. Mason was fun because he was always decent, but you never knew when the dude would bust out for 20+ points. If his shot wasn't falling he played well and you were happy enough with what he did contribute, but when he was good, he was great, and that was fun to watch. The other kids are so streaky--either showing flashes of brilliance or turning the ball over or fouling every other possession. Mason was a true feel good player. I wish we hadn't let him go, but I guess if NY turns out to be a superstar we'll be glad he got the extra playing time.

Posted by: Lou | September 19, 2008 9:14 AM

Where's Sir Valiant Brown when you need him? (j/k)

BTW, I wouldn't mind having a hustle guy like DJ Strawberry right now to help out.

I wonder how much it would cost to get him from the Rockets. He's behind Stevie Francis on the depth chart.

I don't know if DJ could fit under the lux tax cap, but I'm willing to bet that Houston would trade him for a draft pick....2nd round.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 9:33 AM

Oh yeah, that Nick Young is a bust! C'mon, the kid got what 8 min of playing time a game in his ROOKIE year. Oh, that's right all he can do is scrore and his defense is not good.

Well we just gave 111 million dollars to a player who used to score, years ago, never played defense and consistently disrespects the coaching staff. I tend to see this as more problematic than Nick not being a premiere lock down defender in his ROOKIE year.

I liked Mason and wish we had retained him but gosh we did not have the money to do so because Abe mortgaged the franchise to build Gil's playboy mansion. There is no correlation between this and Nick Young.

Maybe Nick should be given a chance to actually play before we send another Rip Hamilton away for no return.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | September 19, 2008 9:47 AM

I agree. No trading NY. Not yet.

Posted by: Lou | September 19, 2008 9:54 AM

I guess Gilbert was right ...Deng should have took last years offer!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:46 AM

No one said Young was a bust. But he remains a one-dimensional scorer. That would be OK if he was in a situation where that was the role they needed him to play. But with Arenas out they'll need him to be more than that and he has yet to show that capacity. And if he's going to be the 1st guard off the bench for a team with visions of a long playofff run, he's going to need to do more even when Gilbert returns.

Posted by: kaloram | September 19, 2008 12:02 PM

what hurt most was Gilbert's initial comments that he was not planning to return til January anyway even had this latest surgery not been required. has anyone asked him why he made those comments?

Posted by: G$ | September 19, 2008 12:06 PM

Agreed Kal, he absolutely needs to develop other areas of his game. That said, so do virtually all 2nd year players.

I was obviously being sarcastic with the bust comment but there have been folks saying we should have packaged him up in the off-season. It is pretty clear this was not the big mistake of this off-season.

Ivan was rightly critical of NY's summer league play but we all know summer league is not reflective of regular season. Many of the bloggers on here were convinced DMAC was the next Scottie Pippen based on last year's summer league play.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | September 19, 2008 12:27 PM

Posted by: kalorama | September 19, 2008 12:48 PM

Nick Young is a one dimensional scorer, but so was Gilby at that stage and currently now.

If NY has learned nothing else from Gilby, he should have learned that putting the ball through the hoop is what pays the bills, whether the team wins or loses.

The Wiz right now have a coach specifically brought in to coach D. Hopefully NY will learn that to be an elite player, he's got to bring it on both sides of the court.

Sure, he's not a great ball handler, defender, or playmaker, but he's in the league right now because he can score.

If he couldn't score, then he'd probably be flipping burgers at 5 Guys, folding clothes at the mall, or selling shoes at Foot Locker right about now.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 1:18 PM

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! Good call giving an injured player that wasn't worth max money to begin with max money.

EG& EJ will be fired for this mistake and it will be a long six years in wizards land.

I hope all you Gilly jockers are happy now.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:46 PM

EG & EJ won't be fired as long as the lux tax threshold is not exceeded and the team is in the black.

Championships are so passe in this town.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 1:49 PM

"Summer League is not reflective of the regular season, but that doesn't mean something can't be learned from it. The weaknesses a player displays in games against lesser Summer League competition will only be magnified in games against actual NBA players. And Young's weaknesses as a ballhandler, playmaker, and defender were very much on display."

Posted by: kalorama | September 19, 2008
12:48 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. You practice as you play like most coaches would say. The Wizards looked for Nick to show them something in the summer league this year. He did; it just wasn't what they wanted to see. Similarly, they hoped that Brown would be the lightning quick PG that would be able to penetrate defenses and hit shots. No luck there either. We'll see what training camp brings.
However, this thread isn't about the moves the Wizards didn't make or even the ones they did. This is about Arenas, who, at first glance, appears to have taken the 'Zards for a ride. The jury is still out, but I'm in the camp that believes that he truly wants to make Pollin look good. Gil also wants this team to be among the elite in the conference. That's why he was so adamant about the re-signing of Jamison. He may be eccentric, but like Rodman, no one doubts his talent. When he's on, he's among the best in the league.
Just as he played against skepticism in college, he'll look upon this as a challenge now. For some reason, he relishes the opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong. And I suspect, come January, he will do just that. Unlike some, who have taken the money and run, he and that "hyperbarically" quirky personality of his will once again shine brightly and the talk will turn to the playoffs and the possibilities that they entail. Until then, we suck it up as we've done before and circle the wagons.
The key will be to get off to a good start, because with everyone else making significant strides, with new acquisitions, we need to play all out and catch them before they start to gel.

Posted by: KappaKidToo | September 19, 2008 3:22 PM

NY needs another 2-3 years of seasoning before he is a key member of any team's rotation. I wouldn't call him a bust yet, but he's got a lot of holes in his game (passing, ballhandling, and D).

We missed out on Rodney Stuckey by three slots in the 1st round in 2007 when there was a huge difference in talent between him and NY. I blame EG for not being proactive in the draft the last three years and insisting on relying on the "Big Three" to carry this team. Even veteran teams like Detroit and the Lakers have picked up guys who made it into their rotations quickly. I haven't seen a single player drafted by EG show they'll ever be able to start for the Wiz.

EG needs to go after this year and a new management team needs to be brought in to start over. You can't blame the coach when there has been no improvement in the roster since 2006.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 19, 2008 3:35 PM

"Even veteran teams like Detroit and the Lakers have picked up guys who made it into their rotations quickly. I haven't seen a single player drafted by EG show they'll ever be able to start for the Wiz."

Which is why losing Mason hurt. This team lacks game ready depth, even with a healthy big 3. With Mason gone, their bench is full of question marks.

Posted by: kalorama | September 19, 2008 3:52 PM

EG has consistently made good moves for whatever organization he was working for at the time. He did so early with the Wiz to steal Butler for Kwame. Last year he may have been inclined to roll the dice again with the big three but this year it was Pollin who decided to mortgage the future on damaged goods. Giving max money to Gil pretty much eliminated the possibility of making any other significant moves.

Frankly, EG would probably be happy to move on at this point. Everyone else made moves, Philly is going to be ridiculous, and we lost ground. I can't see another playoff trip, this ship is firmly on the rocks.

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | September 19, 2008 3:55 PM

When a new GM comes to town, it's easy to quickly spot the problems and make some trades/changes.

Has EG's track record though, shown that he's been able to build championship caliber teams?

I think not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 3:58 PM

The biggest problem for the Wiz, however, is the lack of high-caliber potential among their young guys. Even if/when they develop, there doesn't seem to be one among them who has high-quality starter written all over him. Even if they max out, they'll still likely be role players. The only one who might buck that is McGee, but the only reason we can say that now is because he's a rookie with nothing but potential ahead. The forecast could change quickly once we see him in real games. Contrast that to teams like the Celtics, Pistons, Spurs, Lakers et al, who have players drafted in the 20s who are starting and/or playing major roles at high levels.

People have been quick to call for Jordan's job because he over-relied on the starters, but the reality is that if he wants to win, he simply doesn't have much choice, and never really has.

Posted by: kalorama | September 19, 2008 4:00 PM

LMAO at Gil for saying he got 42 basketballs at his house so he can practice dribbling wherever he goes. Now all that bama needs is to hire somebody off the street so he can practice passing!

Posted by: C.Bell | September 19, 2008 4:42 PM

I think AB and NY have the most upside on this team.

AB may never realize that b/c he's sitting on the pine behind a guy with 5 years/50 mil and 31 years on those legs.

AB's got really good court vision, probably the best on the team.

NY's got scoring ability written all over him.

Both guys are just on the wrong team, and the wrong offense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 8:45 PM

I think not.

Posted by: DC Man88 | September 19, 2008 3:58 PM

While Grunfeld was the Knicks top executive, New York advanced to at least the Conference Semifinals of the NBA Playoffs each season. He had five 50-plus win seasons, three Atlantic Division Championships, and two trips to the NBA Finals (in 1994 and 1999). In eight seasons as general manager or vice-president of player personnel, his Knicks teams had a record of 397-227 (.636), and a 61-44 record in the playoffs.

Posted by: kalorama | September 20, 2008 1:21 AM