Bad Shooting Leads to Rough Start

All you really need to know about tonight's 95-85 loss to the New Jersey Nets at Verizon Center is that Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison shot a combined nine of 29 from the field and scored 27 points.

In the fourth quarter, when the Wizards were outscored 26-18, Butler attempted on field goal and missed it - a turnaround j that went in and out - while Jamison was 0 for 2 on a pair of three-point attempts.

That's not going to get it done, not even against the rebuilding Nets.

Butler: "A lot of shots weren't falling for us, shots that we normally get. Stuff wasn't flowing right and the offensive flow wasn't there tonight."

Player of the game: Nets G Vince Carter (21 points, six assists). Carter controlled the action, kept his guys involved and delivered some big shots down the stretch including a killer from the corner over Butler with a minute to go.

Turning point: After Andray Blatche made a jumper to draw the Wizards within 80-78 with 6:02 to go, the WIzards failed to score another field goal until Blatche made an eight-footer with 11.8 seconds to play. By then it was over.

-Coach Eddie Jordan played all 12 of his available players tonight including rookie C JaVale McGee who entered the game in the third period. He missed all four of his shot attempts but grabbed a pair of rebounds and blocked a shot in nine minutes. It was a pretty solid start.

Jordan: "He won't grow until he gets experience. He can play in practice but we like his potential. You have to give him minutes. I liked the athleticism he brought to the court."

-Former Wizard Jarvis Hayes hurt his former team by scoring 14 points on six of nine shooting with five rebounds in 31 minutes. Jarvis, one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, was greeted by boos when he checked into the game but was his usual classy self afterward.

"I'm healthy for probably the first time since early in my second year," Hayes said. "I love those guys. I had some of the best years of my life in Washington. It's always good to play against them and it's always good to see them and the coaching staff."

-Jordan on the game: "First, I thought we didn't play very well. Second, I thought New Jersey had something to do with it. They played pretty good defense. The last thing we said leaving the locker room was we have to make shots, can't give up layups and we have to rebound. We did one of the three: we rebounded pretty well. New Jersey played pretty good defense. We couldn't drive to the basket. Their size had an effect on us."

By Ivan Carter  |  October 29, 2008; 10:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nets at Wizards, Game 1
Next: Disappointing Debut

Comments

Fortunately I missed most of the game because i did not see an NBA team on
the court for the WIZ tonight.Seeing guys who pretend to be scorer shoot so poor at HOME in the FIRST game made me nauseua. I WANT MY MONEY BACK. FEW OF THESE GUYS CAN REALLY PLAY AND in your heart you know I am right.

Posted by: kcandlc | October 29, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

.500 > Wizards :-(

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 30, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

.500 > Wizards :-(

Posted by: sargeantmofo | October 30, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Why were they booing Hayes? It's not his fault he got hurt. And when he did play, he always played hard, if not necessarily well. And it's not like he left in bad terms, trashing the organization or the fans. The Wizards renounced his rights, they broke up with him.

Fans are just stupid sometimes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 30, 2008 12:54 AM | Report abuse

I thought exactly the same way about Hayes. He was a dud here, but certainly didn't deserve to get booed. He was always a classy guy.

I think what we saw tonight was how very badly Gil is missed. Not just his clutch scoring, but the fact that he draws the defense and makes it easier for others to score. Every trip down the court near the end was a slog to get a shot up; everything was contested.

BTW, I was very glad to see Opech on the inactive, and McGee get meaningful minutes. I hope that trend continues. I thought the rook acquitted himself well, given the circumstances. I liked Blatche's play -- and Etan's, for that matter. It wasn't the center position that let us down tonight.

Remember though, folks, not to overreact. It's one game out of 82.

Posted by: keithward64 | October 30, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

True, it was only one game out of 82... but it was a home opener against a team projected for 50 losses...

I will never give up on the Wizards, but last night following the game on gametrack from Warsaw, it felt like they gave up on themselves.

Posted by: khrabb | October 30, 2008 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness EJ validated what a lot of us said in the preseason regarding JM and playing time...

That's a good sign.

As many of us suspected, we will have some trouble scoring. As good as CB and AJ are, they go through longer stretches of off shooting than GA. When one of them is off, the other can be doubled and we're short. When they're both off, we lose to a rebuilding team like the Nets. BTW, what was Milwaukee thinking when they let Jianlian go? Young man has game and size.

If Etan keeps playing like he did last night, I'm going to have to issue an apology. I'm sticking with my projection of 8 ppg and 6rpg, though. I'm guessing that JM will be our starting center at some point this year once Etan gets hurt again. We probably want to keep some points (AB) coming from our bench and JM might be a better option defensively than AB as a starter. Might. It's GREAT to see Eddie pull the trigger and give JM some run. We're not asking for much, Eddie. The 9 minutes he got was perfect. Eventually he'll start to earn more minutes.
Bad start to the season but it's early.

Posted by: original_mark | October 30, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Blatche needs to get stronger and stop going weak to the rack.

Posted by: G-Man11 | October 30, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

That was one ugly game.

Pretty sure Blatche just plays high which is why he has the slowest reaction time of anyone out there. Very low basketball IQ as well, always reaching in at the worst possible moments. If this guy is the linchpin for the season we should start focusing on the draft.

Etan physically looked alright and got a few points and rebounds but it was a layup drill for the Nets when he was in. Anyone could get to the paint at anytime.

So glad DMAC worked so hard on his jumper this summer otherwise someone may have been hurt by his 2nd quarter attempt. Way to keep it on the court kid!

I liked McGee's few minutes. Yes, did not find the basket but you have to love his length and ability to get up and down.

Can't believe Jamison is talking about his love of the post up game in the after game comments. The team as a whole has no post up game.

I expressed the concern before that AJ and CB should worry less about what the youth can bring and focus on what they are bringing and be the examples. They failed to do that last night, slow out of the gate and no sense of urgency at any point during the game. I saw very little energy, communication or desire last night.

Yes, it is one game but it also closely mirrors their performance in pre-season, so we at least know there is no flick of the switch. This team is in a lot of trouble.

- The former Dr. Strangelove

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | October 30, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

""Your stars have to make shots like their stars did," Wizards Coach Eddie Jordan said.""

Welcome to your team Eddie and get ready for a very long year. They only scored 18 4th quarter points...not good.

FYI - Roger Mason scored 12 points, 2 blocks, and 4 rebs last night for SA. Thanks so much for taking less Gilbert!

I'm glad EJ is playing his kids, and it's pretty clear they want McGee to see more action so he can be thier starter for the next several years.

"Why were they booing Hayes?"

Because he didn't play like(last night) that here, and it was good to see him smile when they did boo.

IMHO he deserved to be booed, but only because he is no longer a Wizard. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 30, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm..................

I wonder why Bucky didn't go "SCWADAGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!" when Vinsanity hit that dagger 3 point shot to put them up by 8 pts towards the end?

Oh well...

In any regard, even though this was an embarrassing defeat to a lottery team in da VC house, I noted some faintly bright spots.

* Dee Brown looked like he could possibly be a good backup. He had some good passes.

* AB can definitely shake and bake big guys in the paint, although he doesn't have a long range J yet and had 5 TO's. Shoots a flat footed J.

* ET looked lively out there, but quickly ran out of gas. He must be on some sort of PT restriction b/c of his heart. I think he could conserve more energy by not wasting motion swinging his arms and reacting like a mad man after an uncontested rebound.

* NY is explosive offensively.

* That's about it folks.

Bad things:

* Caron was out of sync, but was aggressive and got decent stats..

* AJ, same old story...too much in love with taking the long J and ended up with 3 boards. Had big problems with Lian, and soft 7 footer.

* DS, really just a glorified spot up shooter, couldn't defend VC.

* Nobody in VC was calling Jarvis "arvis."

* AD did nothing.

* Juan got little PT.

NJ:

* Brook Lopez is aggressive and burly.

* Lian has a great shot.

* Devin Harris, the former Wiz for a few hours, is great, but needs to shoot more.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

PS. I wonder what they are going to do with all those balloons that weren't dropped from the rafters because of this loss.

Next home game is not until Nov. 7, and I would imagine by that time, the balloons would be deflated, assuming they win.

LMAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Fans are just stupid sometimes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | October 30, 2008 12:54 AM

I agree Kalo, Jarvis is a class act and it's not his fault, injuries happen. Good to see him him healthy and I will be rooting for him.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 30, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Les BouleS couldn't/didn't pry Josh Smith away from Atlanta.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Mario Chalmers, what a great start:

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

* DS, really just a glorified spot up shooter, couldn't defend VC
Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:40 AM

Could not agree more and it's time for NY to start in his place especially with Gil out.

DS would serve a good role coming off of the bench but as a starting guard in the league NY has mor ability and potential.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 30, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I was really bothered by the booing for Jarvis, too. He was a pretty great guy, and it really wasn't his fault the Wiz crack-medical staff couldn't get him healthy.

It was great to see McGee on the court, I was happy with the play of Etan, too.

At one point Blatche reached out and commited the most lazy, half-hearted foul, and I couldn't help but think, "Man, we are in trouble if we're depending on this kid." At one point the camera zoomed in on him and he was shaking his head and had a disgusted look on his face. It's almost as if he knows there's a problem but he doesn't know how to fix it.

Decent minutes from Nick Young.

Slow start from AJ and CB3. I think they'll shake it off on Saturday.

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | October 30, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

DS, really just a glorified spot up shooter, couldn't defend VC.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 8:40 AM

I could not agree more and it's time for NY to get the start. NY can do everything that DS can do and more. Nick is more of a threat offensively and that AJ & CB need.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 30, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

funny that Antawn and Caron both campaigned so much for help from AB & the youngsters. we were to assume that they'd bring their A game night in and night out. they weren't totally accountable for their performances in their post game 1 comments...choosing to use more "we played poorly" rather than "i". at least EJ called it like it was.

Posted by: gregskins | October 30, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm, I wonder if EG would ever consider a trade for Eddy Curry as C since he's not likely to get any PT in NY.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Good rotation management, good use of young players and good comments after the game by EJ. My only concern on rotations is that the team seems to tank when Dee Brown is in the game.

A general obversation is that the team needs three scoring threats on the floor at all times, otherwise AJ and CB will be overplayed. That could mean Young for Stevenson, Blatche (shooting 12-15 footers) for Etan, Caron for Stevenson (with Blatche as a back-fill).

Also, I don't see where the complexity of the offensive system is helping.

McGee, Blatche and Young can turn out to be good, or they can turn out to be duds. The Wiz ought to hire an assistant coach for development. I haven't seen Tapscott around.

Posted by: Izman | October 30, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. Some folks are just unable to get any kind of perspective. You cannot predict an 82-game season from one game. Period. End of story. Close book. We don't know how players will progress during the season; we don't know if this was opening-night jitters. We don't know if the Nets played one of their best games of the year. We don't know ANYTHING yet. Get down off the ledge!

Posted by: keithward64 | October 30, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Everyone in D.C. was ready to write off the Redskins this year after the preseason and opening loss to the Giants. Didn't quite work out that way, did it? I am not saying the Wiz will play .750 ball from here on out; I'm saying it's just a tad too early for sweeping judgments.

Posted by: keithward64 | October 30, 2008 9:18 AM "

Sorry, but the Skins had the weapons to compete...the only question was whether the new system would work or produce results quickly, especially with a new coach.

Les BouleS don't have the weapons that fit into the role (1, 4, and 5), and this "system" that EJ employs hasn't had a proven track record of success.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | October 30, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Even when/if Gilbert returns the Wiz still will be a mediocre team at best. He is not the player he used to be and his contract is going to cripple us the way Juwan's did... atleast Juwan played defense.

An excerpt from Espn's page 2:

4. Gilbert Arenas will become the new C-Webb.
Not in a basketball sense, but in a "My God, why did we commit such a staggering amount of money to a guy who clearly has knee issues and might have already peaked as a player when nobody else could have come within $30 million of our offer?" sense. The Chris Webber contract murdered the Kings; Gilbert's contract could murder the Wizards. And by the way, C-Webb was better than Gilbert -- a healthy, happy C-Webb made you a title contender, whereas a healthy, happy Gilbert makes you a 5-seed in Round 1 at best. Big difference.
(When I asked for a one-sentence defense of Gilbert's $113 million contract from my buddy House, a lifelong D.C. fan, here's what he sent back: "I would prefer not to, as I think it is a franchise-crippler and thus indefensible." Well said. When do you think sports franchises will break out of the "We need him to put butts in seats!" mindset and realize winners are the only things that put butts in seats? 2015? 2020? 2030? Hey, that reminds me …)

Posted by: jdb9t | October 30, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

EJ-worst coach ever what kind of rotation is that....how do you have mcghee, dee brown, blatche and all the reserves in the game in the 4th qtr when we are losing and only 6 or 7 minutes to go. He does this every year...plays close games and tosses his starters in at the very end when all momentum is lost and were losing and says go pull one out. It might have worked the past few years but that won't continue to work. Also I know etan thomas probably isn't in game shape just yet but he had 10 and 8 in 19 minutes he obviously could have played more. Really think EJ is clueless and gilby owns him can't wait til he get fired at the end of the year.

Posted by: beas13 | October 30, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

As poorly as the Wiz played on offense, it was good to see some energy and scoring out of NY and AB off the bench plus the rebounding/shot blocking of McGee. A big concern is that AD is not a creator and has a poor outside shot. Whoever is covering him immediately doubles onto Caron once he gets the ball because they know AD is no threat to hit the 3 unlike Stevenson.

We may not have other alternatives to upgrade at PG, but why not use DSS to run the set offense more to give CB3 some spacing. Anyone who doesn't see how much we miss Gil's ability to hit outside shots, drive to the rack, and create better floor spacing for Jamision and Butler is delusional.

Agent Zero may not be a great defensive player, but AD isn't either at this point. He was consistently exposed by Devin Harris who either scored easy layups or created dribble penetration. AD's lack of quickness was masked last year by BTH's ability to alter/block shots as well as to cover the pick and roll. ET simply doesn't have the length or quickness to be the same factor on defense as BTH.

We'll lose a lot of games where Caron and AJ don't score 40-50 points between them. If it wasn't for DSS, ET, and the bench, we wouldn't have even scored 85 points. I think you can pin this loss on our two All-Stars not shooting well and Carter being the best player on the court.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 30, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night, and I was one of those booing Jarvis loudly. He was a good sport about it though. Of course we'll boo him, dude was hitting pull up J's and fadeaway 3 pointers, even though he never hit those shots for us...ever. I remember a couple years ago I detailed statistically and non statistically how Jarvis was the worst of our regular rotation guys and I hoped him the best. I still do, but geez this is the NBA I'm gonna boo him when he comes in an opposing jersey.

Posted by: OwlWiz | October 30, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards were slow as molasses last night. And all their passes were simply around the perimeter, with people standing around. Jamison can't pass, neither can Thomas, so where's the Princeton there?
Maybe they don't practice people moving around, cutting, I don't know. The only one who can pass is Songaila and he didn't play much last night. But then he's slow too.

They might play well against half-court teams like the Spurs, but watch them fail miserably against young teams and the run run run teams. There's a reason they lost games last year that they shouldn't have against young rebuilding teams.

Posted by: rickgonz | October 30, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, here's a coaching tip for EJ. If your starters aren't doing it, bench them.

Posted by: rickgonz | October 30, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdb9t | October 30, 2008 9:49 AM
----------------------------------------

By the way this was complete bull Simmons wrote. Ernie gave Gil that contract not to put people in the seats but because he believes Gil is a winner and can get us to where we want to go in the right system. Now whether or not you agree with that is up to debate. I will say though that Simmons is very hypocritical in his criticism of NBA GM's because his own team the Boston Celtics have the second highest payroll in the league and have mortgaged all types of the future for a championship and it worked. I hate the whole NBA fan philosophy oh lets keep saving money and only spend it on one of the 3 guys that are guaranteed to win you a championship. There's 30 TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE!!! If you find a borderline guy, you pay him and hope you can augment the roster enough to make the finals a la NJ Nets circa 2002-2005.

Posted by: OwlWiz | October 30, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I watched with my daughter until Barack came on and she said "they don't shoot very well" i kind of chuckled and said its only the first game, one can only hope.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Jarvis Hayes finally doing good, other ex-Wiz news:
- Calvin Booth remains with the Timberwolves & a story about how he's earned $38M so far http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/steve_aschburner/10/24/booth/?eref=sircrc
- Linton Johnson signed with the Bobcats
- Michael Ruffin signed with the Bulls
- Awvee Storey waived by the Nets
- Dermarr Johnson still looking for a job

Posted by: rickgonz | October 30, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Webber took a talented Wizards squad to the playoffs ONCE and had major offcourt problems while here (marijuana possession, rape charge from party at his house, and countless traffic tickets). He took Sacramento to the conference finals once on an even more talented Sacramento team and choked miserably against the Lakers.

Agent Zero on the other hand generated excitement in a franchise that had been to the playoffs once in 15 years before his arrival. He got us to the 2nd round in 2005 and a tough 1st round loss to Cleveland in 2006 which could have gone either way. It's a little early to say his contract murdered the franchise when he's only 26 and EG signed him knowing his rehab might last into the regular season. IF he returns at close to the pre-injury Agent Zero, the team could make a nice run or be in good position next year.

With Butler and Jamison under contract, this team has a window of 2-3 years to contend. It may not be this year with BTH done for the year, but we have expiring contracts like ET and AD that could be dealt later in the year. Worse case is we end up in the lottery and finally have a chance to draft a potential top bigman or true PG. I didn't see fans threatening to jump off a bridge after the Redskins looked horrible in losing their 1st game.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 30, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It may be time to call out AD if he continues to supply lackluster performances. Eddie talks about how important veteran leadership is but isn't it equally important to make some plays. Daniels was virtually invisible most of the night and he better start stepping it up.
The bench was good for the most part except Songaila. Overall, it's going to be assists by committee this season w/o Gil so I think Dee Brown should be playing over Juan Dixon for now. When the team shoots 37% it's obvious you need a true point guard to set people up for easy buckets. Dee can at least do that it appears...

Posted by: elfreako | October 30, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

That's really a shame that Jarvis got booed by the fans. I was always rooting for Jarvis to do well here and it's too bad he didn't but you could always tell he gave it his all. Definitely a great guy who should not have been booed, that's bush league.

Posted by: TonySchallballs | October 30, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

good point rickgonz. the wiz 2nd unit is built more for run/gun type games. without gil & brendan, that 1st unit can't really run with youth and the princeton offense will have its ups & downs in the half court.

Posted by: gregskins | October 30, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Jarvis Hayes is finally starting to shoot like he did when he was a rookie and averaged 10 points for the Wizards. He seems to have ditched the turnaround fadeaway, though. The guy has perfect form on his j, you've got to say that for him.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | November 1, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse