DerMarr Johnson Looking For a Shot

He was the high school player of the year, a star for one season at Cincy and the sixth overall pick in the 200 draft by the Hawks and now DC-native DerMarr Johnson is in camp with the Wizards looking for a shot to get his NBA career rolling again.

I wrote about DerMarr in today's paper:

DerMarr talks with the cool, calm approach one would expect of a guy who has seen just about everything. He did have a heck of a day in practice yesterday and he clearly brings some things to the table but it's going to be tough to grab a spot because the Wiz have 15 guys under contract. The two guys who have non-guaranteed deals are Dee Brown and Juan Dixon and both would appear to fill a role. Brown as a backup PG and Dixon as shooter/scorer off the bench.

Still, DerMarr will have a chance to make his case for the Wizards and every other team in the league.

Also as I mentioned in today's paper, the Wiz have been doing a lot more scrimmaging this camp than in the past. It's made for some entertaining practices. Yesterday, they really got after it. The blacks (Haywood, Butler, Jamison, Stevenson and Daniels) beat the whites (Thomas, Songaila, Linton Johnson, Dixon and Johnson) 56-55. Dee Brown and Andray Blatche rotated between the two teams while Pesh was a white reserve and McGee was a sub for the blacks.

I'm getting ready to head over for today's lone practice in a bit. I'll update later.

-Someone asked about tomorrow night's scrimmage. It's at 5 p.m. at the Siegel Center on the campus of VCU and is open to the public. I recommend that you give yourself at least 2 hours for the drive so you get in early.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 2, 2008; 10:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pedowitz Gambling Report Released
Next: Pedowitz's Recommendations

Comments

Oh gosh...."looking for a shot" is really not a good choice of words around here, especially in light of the fact of Collier's recent amputation, AB getting shot, ST getting shot and killed, etc.

how about "looking for a chance?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the scrimmage info, Ivan. Keep up the good work! Whether the Wiz meet expectations or not this year, I'm pumped that we'll have some ball to watch on TV soon!

Posted by: Nick | October 2, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

If DerMarr is healthy, he clearly is a better player than Dixon. I don't know how the Wizards could keep Dixon and cut Johnson in that situation.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:10 PM

Dermarr apparently shows a lot of energy, penetrates well but his shot is suspect. If he can show that he can clamp down on Butler, Blatche (when at SF), Young and Stevenson in practice and if he shows passing skills, he might make the roster over Juan.

Posted by: rgz | October 2, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Dermarr's best year was before the accident, and he averaged under what Dixon's career average is in that year.

He's a talented guy, if he's able to recapture what he had before the injury he could be a find. I would really like to see how he does in preseason. I remember when he came in the league I really thought he'd be a good one.

Dixon's not a true point, but in the 5th guard spot team's often look for guys that can back up a both positions. So that gives him an edge over Dermarr.

If Eddie cuts Dixon and keeps DeMarr it would indicate that the Wizards are really sold on Dee Brown. Because breaking camp with only Dee Brown behind Daniels is putting a lot of faith in Brown.

It will be interesting to see how these guys are used once the preseason starts.

Posted by: GM | October 2, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

If I were a betting man, I would say DerMarr's emergence shouldn't affect Juan.

The guy who might get the axe is DMac, and that may be via a trade.

DerMarr, Linton, and Taj are fighting to be Caron's backup, not as a backup PG/SG.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

DeMarr was inconsistent in Atlanta...but definitely had some skills. I think he has some value defensively because he is long and if he has his legs back under him, could possibly be a good defensive matchup for some of the 2's and smaller 3's in the east.

Posted by: G$ | October 2, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

how about "looking for a chance?"

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 11:20 AM

DC Man 88 would rather you write, "DerMarr Johnson is looking to crash the Wizards training camp party and make the team."

Posted by: I hate commenting here, but | October 2, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Get rid of D-Mac, a draft pick who has shown excellent potential, for a guy who has a sketchy past (off the court), and has shown the tendency to be selfish on the court? Seriously Crazy 88? Seriously?

Posted by: I hate commenting here, but | October 2, 2008 2:53 PM "

Sounds like he'd fit in perfectly for the Wiz.

Look at Gilby, AB, and Caron who've had brushes with the law in the past, and when you're talking about "selfish," go check the dictionary and you'll see Gilby's face right next to it.

In any regard, DerMarr seems to have learned from his past mistakes, has ties to this area, and still has some ability.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Look at Gilby, AB, and Caron who've had brushes with the law in the past,...

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 3:34 PM

You forgot Stevenson's sexual misconduct with a minor.
Dermarr was involved with a resisting arrest and a DWI.

Regardless of what the charges were or the outcomes, I feel their brushes with the law have nothing to do with their play on court.

There are other current NBA players among them Kidd, Iverson, Bryant & Pierce who have had tickets/arrests/trials later in their careers that in no way affected their play or their relationship with their team management.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Dermarr and Caron went to highschool together at MCI center. Has Caron said anything about Dermarr? Is he helping him out?

Posted by: Forthepeople | October 2, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I would add more than 2 hours to the drive on a Friday afternoon. It's about 1:45 from DC to Richmond without traffic. But even non-summer hours, traffic along 95 can back up by 3pm. It's hit and miss from week to week. I'd give at least 2.5 for the drive, possibly more (and then factor in where you're driving from).

Posted by: Chip | October 2, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he'd fit in perfectly for the Wiz.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 3:34 PM

I wasn't talking about anyone else, I was talking and McGuire vs. Johnson.

Jay-Z once said 'Stick to the Script' - I suggest you do the same, sucka.

Posted by: I hate commenting here, but | October 2, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of tall guards, Phil Jackson reportedly has tried out 6-10 Lamar Odom at point guard on offense the past few practices with Derek Fisher at shooting guard, Kobe Bryant at small forward. Lots of switching around on defense.

Odom spent a couple of years at the Clippers as PG.

Posted by: rgz | October 2, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"I wasn't talking about anyone else, I was talking and McGuire vs. Johnson.

Jay-Z once said 'Stick to the Script' - I suggest you do the same, sucka.

Posted by: I hate commenting here, but | October 2, 2008 5:19 PM "

I do what I do biotch.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

McGuire's not going anywhere.

Posted by: kalorama | October 2, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

starters only won by a point? wow! what does that mean?

Posted by: by | October 2, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse